• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

Maaaaaan, I really want to go back to Birthright for now, but I think I got a very good RNG seed on Conquest because *everyone* was getting 4+ stat ups, minus Felicia. It's interesting, especially since my Chapter 10 run in Birthright right before ended with really poor level ups, where everyone has been getting 2-3 stat ups, with 2 of them getting 1 stat up. I'll probably do the next Nohr chapter later today to see how the level ups go. If they're still good, I'll continue. If not, I'll switch to Birthright.

I'm really loving the game so far. I guess the AI target priority got changed in this one. Feels strange, especially after Awakening's gang ups where they would focus down your unit if they could. They didn't do it to Silas in Hoshido/10, even though they would've been able to take him down if they focused their attacks on him. Also, the pair up change was great IMO. No more having your ally kill an approching unit, allowing the unit behind it to come and kill me.

I guess my biggest problems are who to use in the Hoshido side. I always feel compelled to bring the ninja twins, Azura, Rinkah, Hinoka, Subaki, Jakob, and one healer. That doesn't leave much space for other units.

silva1991

I got another 2 couples to marry, but I only got one paralogue(5)

the other paralogue will show up when I finish the first one or did I fuck up something?

Cindro

I wish video game soundtracks would go up day and date on Spotify like every other music release does. This soundtrack is simply immaculate!

Has anyone here with the special edition played Revelations yet? If not for the wonky story in Birthright, this could easily become my favorite Fire Emblem ever - but then I keep reading the story in Conquest is even worse! I'm holding out hope that maybe Revelations is an improvement in that department.

I'm really hoping to have this beaten by Saturday (Pokemon VC release day!), but I'm 22 hours in and only at chapter 17 - I still have a ton of support grinding to do, too. Only one married unit so far.

There are, like, so few eligible bachelors in camp Hoshido. All my cool chick units are gonna have to start settling for some simps like Tanooki and Corn on the Jakob.

Finally lost my first unit that I don't feel like restarting for. RIP Kaze, he made it to Chapter 11. Some of these chapters are already taking me 1-1.5 hours and I can't imagine them getting much shorter. The map sizes are impressively large, feels more like older FE in that regard.

The worst part is I need every dude I can get. There are far too many cool female units and not nearly enough guys worth using.

Taruranto

Oh god the explanation for the children. So bad.

Also, while walking in the MC Room Niles asked me to blow on him. WHAT IS HAPPENING TO FIRE EMBLEM.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Okay I'm trying to do a Hard/Classic/Conquest run legit, letting people die when they die.

Question: What are the ways that I can get new units if I let too many die? I know there is a character with the ability to "capture" enemies and put them in jail... and then you can pay money to get them out? That sounds like a poor use of money when you have limited funds on Conquest. Is there another way to get units, through My Castle battles or something?

I'm just curious if I lose my best archer, am I going to be able to replace him - or am I going to have to learn to live without an archer until another unit joins in another chapter?

Boney

Banned
When should I give the Heart Seal to Mozu? She's level ten now.
Unless you want to promote her to merchant or weapon master, go ahead and do it now. She works great as an archer

Okay I'm trying to do a Hard/Classic/Conquest run legit, letting people die when they die.

Question: What are the ways that I can get new units if I let too many die? I know there is a character with the ability to "capture" enemies and put them in jail... and then you can pay money to get them out? That sounds like a poor use of money when you have limited funds on Conquest. Is there another way to get units, through My Castle battles or something?

I'm just curious if I lose my best archer, am I going to be able to replace him - or am I going to have to learn to live without an archer until another unit joins in another chapter?
I'm not that far in the game so I couldn't tell you how many first generation characters are available, but that's exactly why I hate the children element in the game because it screws you over in terms of character aviability if you're doing no reset runs, I imagine most of the late game characters are gonna be children like awakening. That said, so far each sibling comes with two servants plus there's a few others here and there.

But good luck pulling a hard run blindly without reseting.

You're trying to do an Ironman run...? I can't imagine that ending well but hopefully you'll prove me wrong!

NeonZ

You don't pay money to get them. You either persuade them with the current warden character, and there's a chance that they join afterwards. If they don't do that, you just need to wait for the next day cycle and there'll be another chance. Alternatively, you can bribe them with the My Castle resources like jewels or meat, which guarantees that they join once you meet their specific conditions (I got a samurai called Jin who just wanted tons of meat). It's very easy to get more resources for that just by visiting multiple other castles.

I also think it's crazy to do a no reset run on Hard/Classic/Conquest for a first time playthrough.

Ludist210

Edit: I also use Azura/Sakura/Shura but they're pretty much just utility aside from a bit of chip so their experience doesn't really matter, especially for Azura and Shura.
Azura becomes a pretty decent combat unit if you work with her. I've got her at level 11 and she can hit most enemies twice for around 10 damage each.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Just beat Ch 16 on Birthright last night on Hard. Wasn't too bad, indoor missions tend to be easy as you can make tons of choke points and enemy units don't seem that interested in advancing on you from just a room away often. I now have every single unit promoted save for Azura, Felicia and Jakob, but they're all at like level 18/19 anyway and all that with their classes.

I wonder if it is worth starting to invest in weapons and forging. I haven't really spent much money on buying new weapons at all so I don't have that many duplicates outside of 2-4 of each Iron weapon and the odd duplicate here and there for some of the other types. I have plenty of Ore at the moment, but are the gains really worth it with just +1 or +2 weapons? Even +2 require a pretty heavy investment, but anything beyond that requires some serious grinding as the resources needed skyrocket.

Also want to start pairing up my units now. Most everyone is Rank C support with everyone else, most are B with some have a couple As. But I feel like now that everyone is promoted it's a good time to start pumping some children out. I made this pairing chart that I'm more or less happy with.

3TqsFUK.jpg

Azura becomes a pretty decent combat unit if you work with her. I've got her at level 11 and she can hit most enemies twice for around 10 damage each.

Yep maybe but man, she's just too damn frail. And I honestly prefer to give a second turn to way more powerful than risking losing my dancer

Are heart seals tough to come by? I'm on ch13 and only have the one I bought from my rod shop. And the store hasn't reset since :(

At some point you can buy unlimited heart seals

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Are heart seals tough to come by? I'm on ch13 and only have the one I bought from my rod shop. And the store hasn't reset since :(

You can travel to other people's castles and buy them. Anyone with a Lvl 3 Rod Shop, gold icon on the minimap, will always have all Seal types available for purchase. Though you can only buy 1 at a time.

P90

do you guys generally like the game better than awakening though?

Characters: Awakening is far superior
Gameplay: I give the nod to Fates, but at times I much prefer the more offensive-oriented Awakening.
Story: Both games are weak here

Overall, both Fates and Awakening are very enjoyable games.

Yep maybe but man, she's just too damn frail. And I honestly prefer to give a second turn to way more powerful than risking losing my dancer

At some point you can buy unlimited heart seals

You can travel to other people's castles and buy them. Anyone with a Lvl 3 Rod Shop, gold icon on the minimap, will always have all Seal types available for purchase. Though you can only buy 1 at a time.
O wow didn't know that, thanks guess I can finally start changing classes

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Argh! I'm only a few chapters in and I'm already falling into my typical pattern. The one thing I hate hate HAAATE about Fire Emblem is the RNG stat growth. It is so frustrating to level up and get mp stats, or only hp go up 1, or 1 magic on a non magical unit. Complete waste of a level. That's the one thing about FE I think needs to die. Let us choose from a limited number of stats each level. The current setup always makes some characters setup to grow so poorly that they're practically useless.

So my pattern is that can't continue a battle where one of my favored characters has an extra crappy level growth. Though I'm being much more strict with my main character. I am restarting too much. I wish I could just accept really poor growth and continue, but it just bothers me. So annoying

do you guys generally like the game better than awakening though?
So far ive only played conquest and I would say I like awakening more

Awakening characters were better and I had way more fun building them up. Conquest has just annoyed me because they have all this cool shit with my castle and child inheritance and I just cant explore it. I might abuse to EXP and gold DLC maps just so I can take advantage of the other systems.

Conquest has at least had some pretty cool maps, though most of them have come down to baiting enemies with effie, selena, or corrin then picking them all off. And some maps like I believe it was chapter 19 are really boring. The map had like 40 enemies and every single one of them was the same.

I'm thinking with birthright and revelations' added freedom I'll be able to enjoy this game more than awakening. The rebalance of pair up is absolutely brilliant, and my castle should be a lot more fun when I'm not progress limited. Grinding supports will actually be enjoyable too when I have more options than "Before Awakening" and my castle battles to do them

Argh! I'm only a few chapters in and I'm already falling into my typical pattern. The one thing I hate hate HAAATE about Fire Emblem is the RNG stat growth. It is so frustrating to level up and get mp stats, or only hp go up 1, or 1 magic on a non magical unit. Complete waste of a level. That's the one thing about FE I think needs to die. Let us choose from a limited number of stats each level. The current setup always makes some characters setup to grow so poorly that they're practically useless.

So my pattern is that can't continue a battle where one of my favored characters has an extra crappy level growth. Though I'm being much more strict with my main character. I am restarting too much. I wish I could just accept really poor growth and continue, but it just bothers me. So annoying
yea i'd love to see RNG stats die as well. Put each character on a set stat curve and allow you to influence the stat curve in ways like aptitude giving a better curve, and parental inheritance creating the child's curve.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I just unlocked the hot springs.

The real Fire Emblem begins now.

Nothing has happened there for me. I go in see a girl and get yelled at and run out, or there some dude in there he says line about how nice it is or wanting to swim and then I leave.

Kind of same with Private Quarters. I've only gotten a second small heart with like two people and still haven't heard anything beyond the same 2 lines repeated and I've probably invited people up there like 50 times now, multiple people like 4-5+.

PK Gaming

God bless the changes to supporting units in battle

You're not obligated to use married units together in combat like before. Once Oboro and Hinata S-ranked, I benched Hinata's ass (he's a stay at home dad anyway)

Renewed

Birthright Chapter 14

I looked at the map and immediately thought "I want to try this without Ryoma and Scarlet." It was almost good up until the last set of Cavaliers and Paladins.

Anyways, blitzed through and now I need to start promoting. I took too long...

If you walk in to Girls bath time, they kick you out

And vice versa. I thought he was a chick for half a second.

Kinsei

Banned
Birthright Chapter 14

I looked at the map and immediately thought "I want to try this without Ryoma and Scarlet." It was almost good up until the last set of Cavaliers and Paladins.

Anyways, blitzed through and now I need to start promoting. I took too long...

Hmm. That chapter seems to basically serve as the game telling you how awesome
Ryoma
is. I wonder what it would be like to play through on lunatic without them.

Boney

Banned
Gah, overextended my offense and left Silas at the front without any paired up unit and the enemy apothecaries dealt a surprising amount of damage per hit.

If I didn't have to deal with kids I'd probably move one but gah. Ch13 isn't so bad if you take out the sub boss fast.

And awakening is in no way better than conquest in terms of gameplay, it was absolute garbage on that front honestly.

woopWOOP

So does this game allow rentals of main characters you Streetpass'd much like in Awakening?
Thinking of doing a no-reset run of Conquest, but it'd be nice I could get some more new units in case I get stuck in an unwinnable scenario later down the line.

appaws

Banned
Hey ladies and gents,

I just downloaded Conquest so I would get access to the items and stuff in Birthright.

How do you all use the Dread Fighter class...? I was thinking of using it on Rinkah since I am not doing anything else with her...Should I level her to 20 first, promote her, and then use the dread seal...?

jgwhiteus

Quick question - "Mage" in the US version is the same as "Dark Mage" in the Japanese version, right? I want to class up to a Dark Knight eventually, which the Wikis say is an advancement from the Dark Mage starter class, but there's no option for a Dark Mage...

That may be possible (her combat was never great on Lunatic) but it would be such a waste to use her for that when she can do so much more. Why be okay combat when she can be my best combat unit again or an important reposition or an extra heal?

ciD_Vain

Quick question - "Mage" in the US version is the same as "Dark Mage" in the Japanese version, right? I want to class up to a Dark Knight eventually, which the Wikis say is an advancement from the Dark Mage starter class, but there's no option for a Dark Mage...
There is no Mage class- only Dark Mage (Nohr) and Diviner (Hoshido).

Luigi87

Doing the first Invasion defence in my Conquest run, Lilith kills two enemies and at first I'm like "Well okay," and then I realized, "Wait... I really need that exp..."

Top Bottom