• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

Phocks

WVW69i7XKYQRIblTUr

I really don't understand the point of this. You don't even get support points out of it. Just more dumb anime pandering to get bathhouse episodes in there for all your favourite anime archetypes?
walking in on girls while classed as ninja is GOAT

jgwhiteus

There is no Mage class- only Dark Mage (Nohr) and Diviner (Hoshido).

When I was making the "talent" selection for Corrin at the beginning, there was a selection for "Mage" but nothing for "Dark Mage", whereas the other talent names seemed to match with class names I've seen on the Wiki (e.g. Oni Savage, Apothecary, Fighter, Archer, etc.) I thought your talent eventually turns into your class - will a "Mage" talent turn into Dark Mage / Diviner class later?

Also, why are classes associated with certain sides? Is your eventual class selection limited by which side you choose? Why are starter classes from both sides available for the talent selection then?

Sorry for the questions - I'm used to playing FE games, but I've been getting confused with the two-version changes with Fates.

Ala Alba

Doing the first Invasion defence in my Conquest run, Lilith kills two enemies and at first I'm like "Well okay," and then I realized, "Wait... I really need that exp..."

My first invasion she just sat there and did absolutely nothing the entire battle.

She also seems to hit her stat caps extremely early. >_<

When I was making the "talent" selection for Corrin at the beginning, there was a selection for "Mage" but nothing for "Dark Mage", whereas the other talent names seemed to match with class names I've seen on the Wiki (e.g. Oni Savage, Apothecary, Fighter, Archer, etc.) I thought your talent eventually turns into your class - will a "Mage" talent turn into Dark Mage / Diviner class later?

Also, why are classes associated with certain sides? Is your eventual class selection limited by which side you choose? Why are starter classes from both sides available for the talent selection then?

Sorry for the questions - I'm used to playing FE games, but I've been getting confused with the two-version changes with Fates.

The talent names aren't always accurate. For example, "Dragon" means Wyvern Rider.

Classes are different on different sides to add flavor abd define the gameplay, since Hoshido has a bunch of fast but not very bulky units.

GeekyDad

WVW69i7XKYQRIblTUr

I really don't understand the point of this. You don't even get support points out of it. Just more dumb anime pandering to get bathhouse episodes in there for all your favourite anime archetypes?

"I really don't understand the point of this."

"...to get bathhouse episodes in there for all your favourite anime archetypes..."

Sounds like you get it just fine. ;)

Luigi87

My first invasion she just sat there and did absolutely nothing the entire battle.

She also seems to hit her stat caps extremely early. >_<

She did absolutely nothing on my Birthright side of things. (Didn't heal anyone!)

I just need to move her into a location where enemies won't necessarily get to her so quickly I think.

jgwhiteus

The talent names aren't always accurate. For example, "Dragon" means Wyvern Rider.

Classes are different on different sides to add flavor abd define the gameplay, since Hoshido has a bunch of fast but not very bulky units.

Thanks... hmm. So let's say I choose "Fighter" as Corrin's talent in the beginning, which according to the Wiki is a Nohr class: http://fireemblem.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_classes_in_Fire_Emblem_Fates. Does that mean if I want to side with Hoshido down the line, I'd be put into one of the Hoshido classes instead? Or is Corrin allowed to choose a talent / class from either side since the avatar is a special case?

I'm playing the Special Edition, if that makes a difference.

I take it back, Chapter 10 is fine. **** chapter 17 and its forever swarming ninjas. I think I'll have nightmare on all those debuffs *shudders*

NeonZ

Thanks... hmm. So let's say I choose "Fighter" as Corrin's talent in the beginning, which according to the Wiki is a Nohr class: http://fireemblem.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_classes_in_Fire_Emblem_Fates. Does that mean if I want to side with Hoshido down the line, I'd be put into one of the Hoshido classes instead? Or is Corrin allowed to choose a talent / class from either side since the avatar is a special case?

You're allowed to change to a class from the other kingdom. The classes being associated with one version generally just mean, aside from the visual design, that it has more characters from that class. For example, you get one ninja in Conquest, but you get 4 ninja in Hoshido (not counting characters with ninja as a reclass options. That'd add two ninja to Conquest and 4 to Hoshido counting only the basic classes, but there are ways for other characters to get that class too). There are a few classes that are completely version exclusive (like Knights/Generals for Conquest) - and even for those you can obtain some characters from those classes, they just won't be main cast members, like capturing an enemy in the main campaign or getting an Einherjar from another player's online castle.

Javier

I don't have the game yet, could you spoil me on this? Just curious. Don't really care about spoilers.
When the kids are born, they are send into the Deeprealms where they can be raised without the dangers of war. In the Deeprealms, time passes at a faster pace, so when the kids come out of the Deeprealms and join your army, they're almost the same age as the parents. If you've seen DBZ, it's basically the Time Chamber logic.

It's laughably bad, but I'll take it. It's not like the game takes it seriously.

So I bought two master seals from the Rod shop. I reclassed MC into Hashido knight and Kaze in master ninja. Was that ok? Both were at lvl 11-12.

NeonZ

When the kids are born, they are send into the Deeprealms where they can be raised without the dangers of war. In the Deeprealms, time passes at a faster pace, so when the kids come out of the Deeprealms and join your army, they're almost the same age as the parents. If you've seen DBZ, it's basically the Time Chamber logic.

It's laughably bad, but I'll take it. It's not like the game takes it seriously.

Also, unlike in Awakening, the children aren't a factor in the main story at all. There's no Lucina-like child with a role in the main story, so their only stories are their initial paralogues and supports.

So I bought two master seals from the Rod shop. I reclassed MC into Hashido knight and Kaze in master ninja. Was that ok? Both were at lvl 11-12.

Wait until level 20 before using a Master Seal. They'll now get less experience and will be closer to hitting their level cap than before using the Master Seal, so it'd be better to not skip those levels. Eventually there's a seal to increase the level cap, but you'd probably need to grind to get money for it.

Kinsei

Banned

It's generally best to wait until they reach level 20 before promotion, but as long as you're not playing on lunatic you should be fine.

Draxal

So I bought two master deals from the Rod shop. I reclassed MC into Hashido knight and Kaze in master ninja. Was that ok? Both were at lvl 11-12

You will want to reclass at level 20 instead of 11-12. Exceptions do exist (basically if a unit has capped a couple of stats already it's okay to promote than).

Corrin will still be a fighter and not an Oni Savage. It's just that characters from Hoshido will have Hoshidan classes. Silas, a Nohrian route neutral character, has a Nohrian class set even in Birthright.

jgwhiteus

You're allowed to change to a class from the other kingdom. The classes being associated with one version generally just mean, aside from the visual design, that it has more characters from that class. For example, you get one ninja in Conquest, but you get 4 ninja in Hoshido (not counting characters with ninja as a reclass options. That'd add two ninja to Conquest and 4 to Hoshido counting only the basic classes, but there are ways for other characters to get that class too). There are a few classes that are completely version exclusive (like Knights/Generals for Conquest) - and even for those you can obtain some characters from those classes, they just won't be main cast members, like capturing an enemy in the main campaign or getting an Einherjar from another player's online castle.

Corrin will still be a fighter and not an Oni Savage. It's just that characters from Hoshido will have Hoshidan classes. Silas, a Nohrian route neutral character, has a Nohrian class set even in Birthright.

Okay, cool, makes sense. Thanks for the info...

(and I'm going to assume, from my original question, that "Mage" talent really is just Dark Mage, but talents don't match up 1:1 with classes, like "Dragon" with "Wyvern Rider")

ryseing

So does this game allow rentals of main characters you Streetpass'd much like in Awakening?
Thinking of doing a no-reset run of Conquest, but it'd be nice I could get some more new units in case I get stuck in an unwinnable scenario later down the line.

This is correct, though I doubt you'll have the gold to spare. Make sure to get their calling cards.

Hey guys, I just reclassed Mozu after at level 18. Should I have waited for her to cap as a villager? I remember having done that with Donnel on Awakening, but in that game leveling was really fast. Here I'm at Birthright chapter 15 and the increasing number of promoted enemies made me think that it wasn't going to be easy capping her without a lot of grinding (which I'm trying to avoid to keep things balanced). With the rest of the units I'm waiting, since their cap is at level 20.

NeonZ

Hey guys, I just reclassed Mozu after at level 18. Should I have waited for her to cap as a villager? I remember having done that with Donnel on Awakening, but in that game leveling was really fast. Here I'm at Birthright chapter 15 and the increasing number of promoted enemies made me think that it wasn't going to be easy capping her without a lot of grinding (which I'm trying to avoid to keep things balanced). With the rest of the units I'm waiting, since their cap is at level 20.

Do you mean using a Master Seal? Villager this time is just a standard base class, not a special level 30 one. You're probably fine since it was very close to 20 anyway.

PK Gaming

It's not too important, as long as her key stats are high, you're good.

Reclassed or promoted?

Do you mean using a Master Seal? Villager this time is just a standard base class, not a special level 30 one. You're probably fine since it was very close to 20 anyway.

Oh, I was under the impression that it was just like in Awakening. Thanks for clearing it up. I guess it wasn't a bad decision since she had already good stats and had capped lance at C already.

Pbae

Guys, what are the chances that the special edition will ever get restocked or they release the three games on one cart again?

I actually really loved the support music from Fates but can't remember what Awakening's sounds like at all.

I'm sure its just an exposure thing. I didnt care for the Awakening one until like 20-30 hours and dozens of support convos later. I'm pretty satisfied with the Fates OST so far. I'm at chapter 8.

Renewed

Support grind so I can see all these conversations... gaahhh.

Also took some time to do the Before Awakening DLC and Frederick was so kind as to give me a pebble after Chrom gave me the reclass items. Also

Well we kind of met in Smash so there's that.

Didn't heard the english dub so far, is it really bad ? Awakening had truly amazing dub so it's surprising
it varies, I actually thought the singing was pretty good, and some of the characters are really good. It does feel like at times that the actors didnt have proper direction, though laura bailey clearly doesnt need directing

Draxal

Didn't heard the english dub so far, is it really bad ? Awakening had truly amazing dub so it's surprising

Honestly, I think it's about the same, but I really don't care either way. I've heard the Japanese voices originally for Fates but not for Awakening.

Gaius and Asugi having vastly different voices irritates me, fwiw.

L95

It's pretty awful all around, yeah. I don't actually remember thinking Awakening's was all that amazing at the time, but it never quite grated on me like Fates is.

Yeah, I didn't think Awakening's dub stood out to me, but that's kinda a good thing, while Fate's has a few characters that actively stand out because they sound bad.

Weekdays for me and this game have been bad. I'll play one chapter and any paralogues I unlock, set up the next chapter and stop playing. Game is fun but story isn't strong enough to get me to sacrifice the few hours I have after work to play it. Weekends it's another story though I'll definitely play it then.

Draxal

Voices I really liked that I've heard.

Arthur: Fits the character personally
Percy: PIT
Felicia: We got trouble gets a bad rap; her DIDN"T EXPECT THAT DID YOU at the castle hub is kinda weird. But other than that I think she does a good job of the bumbling maid. I also didn't like her Japanese voice so I"m biased.
Azura: Don't like her talking voice, but I think she did a good of job as possible with the singing.
Oboro: Liked both her Japanese and English voice a ton.
Setsuna: Fun and faithful to the Japanese voice.
Elise: She does a good job.

Voices I didn't like

Elfie: Just doesn't sound like a real person.
Xander: I'd prefer it he were a little lower.
Nyx: I hate the character archetype anyway.

How do you feel about pre promoted characters in this game. In previous Fire Emblems I tend to avoid them with a few exceptions (like Athos in Fire Emblem rekka no ken) but in this game they seem to give you more than usual and they don't seem bad. I'm at Birthright 15 and Ryoma seems like a very good unit, but I'm afraid that if I use him he'll sponge too much exp and when I later want to use him he'll be too weak compared to normally promoted units. Would you recommend the pre promoted units in this game?

Kagerou's voice acting almost made me almost regret S-Ranking Hana, but nothing beat cute female myrmidons.

I liked Ryoma and Takumi's voices a lot too. I liked Oboro's when she wasn't in combat, but her combat lines were kind of off-sounding. Saizou and Kaze both sounded great too.

Otherwise the voice acting was kinda meh for me, like typical anime dub bad.

How do you feel about pre promoted characters in this game. In previous Fire Emblems I tend to avoid them with a few exceptions (like Athos in Fire Emblem rekka no ken) but in this game they seem to give you more than usual and they don't seem bad. I'm at Birthright 15 and Ryoma seems like a very good unit, but I'm afraid that if I use him he'll sponge too much exp and when I later want to use him he'll be too weak compared to normally promoted units. Would you recommend the pre promoted units in this game?
Ryoma is either the best or second best unit in Birthright. I honestly don't know if I could have finished the game without him. A lot of lategame maps involved him killing >70% of the enemies by himself and the harder parts of the map were dealing with the rest of the enemies with the rest of my group.

CazTGG

How do you feel about pre promoted characters in this game. In previous Fire Emblems I tend to avoid them with a few exceptions (like Athos in Fire Emblem rekka no ken) but in this game they seem to give you more than usual and they don't seem bad. I'm at Birthright 15 and Ryoma seems like a very good unit, but I'm afraid that if I use him he'll sponge too much exp and when I later want to use him he'll be too weak compared to normally promoted units. Would you recommend the pre-promoted units in this game?

Haven't gotten to them in Conquest (aside from Felicia who is pretty worthless outside of weakening enemies for Mozu or Odin to finish them) but in Birthright they're pretty useful. Ryoma in particular (this might sound like an exaggeration) may be the best pre-promoted unit in the series, even if said goodness largely comes from an incredible personal weapon.

Ryoma is either the best or second best unit in Birthright. I honestly don't know if I could have finished the game without him. A lot of lategame maps involved him killing >70% of the enemies by himself and the harder parts of the map were dealing with the rest of the enemies with the rest of my group.

But would you recommend investing time on him or just using him as he comes for when shit hits the fan?

NeonZ

Nyx: I hate the character archetype anyway.

Nyx is so weird. Usually I think North American voices for teens sound too old, and yet hers sounds too young and cheerful considering her actual in-game script. There seemed to be some disconnect between the voice direction and her actual dialogue.

Felicia: We got trouble gets a bad rap; her DIDN"T EXPECT THAT DID YOU at the castle hub is kinda weird. But other than that I think she does a good job of the bumbling maid. I also didn't like her Japanese voice so I"m biased.
I actually really liked felicia. The only thing I found awkward was her confession line sounded stilted

Top Bottom