• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

In a similar topic I'm basically avoiding the use of the siblings in conquest unless I have to.and by have to i mean for story reasons or to get a child out of them.

I have one more child to go and afterwards if I keep any of the siblings it'd be Xander because he's an OP mofo

Insolitus

Banned
How do you feel about pre promoted characters in this game. In previous Fire Emblems I tend to avoid them with a few exceptions (like Athos in Fire Emblem rekka no ken) but in this game they seem to give you more than usual and they don't seem bad. I'm at Birthright 15 and Ryoma seems like a very good unit, but I'm afraid that if I use him he'll sponge too much exp and when I later want to use him he'll be too weak compared to normally promoted units. Would you recommend the pre promoted units in this game?

It seems to me like they made the prepromoted units more of a backup utility in this game for when you fuck up instead of just a crutch for when you're first starting out, which I think is a better way to use them since it doesn't trick new players into relying too hard on them.

But would you recommend investing time on him or just using him as he comes for when shit hits the fan?
He doesn't really need "investment" because he's already so strong, but try to get him S-Ranked with his partner before the final stretch of chapters. You don't have to feed him every kill but don't worry about him "stealing exp" or anything, he will wreck shit up for you.

In a similar topic I'm basically avoiding the use of the siblings in conquest unless I have to.and by have to i mean for story reasons or to get a child out of them.

I have one more child to go and afterwards if I keep any of the siblings it'd be Xander because he's an OP mofo
Xander and Elise both seem good. Camilla is alright but with the skills I got beruka shes better, and Leo seems terrible outside of his exclusive spell.

I'm almost done farming supports for the children, then its off to the paralogues to get the ones I havent yet.

I have Soleil (who is good but her mother Selena is still better), Ophelia (I didnt inherit any good skills for her since I wasnt using Odin, and Felicia didnt have any good mage skills, however I got her Tomefaire from My Castle battles and her stats are good), Shigure (not using at all), Sophia (stats ok, but I paired Silas with Nyx so her growth will probably be bad, skills bad, wasn't using Silas outside of farming his support)

Conquest 18:
I am soooo happy I got that Armorslayer way back when. Silas basically destroyed all the General units himself.

I kinda want to use other characters, but I've sort of got a little team of units I use and I can't exactly grind to bring the others up. I'll just have to wait for the EXP DLC for another playthrough. Gotta say though, 18 was refreshingly easy compared to some of the earlier chapters.

Conquest 18:
I am soooo happy I got that Armorslayer way back when. Silas basically destroyed all the General units himself.

I kinda want to use other characters, but I've sort of got a little team of units I use and I can't exactly grind to bring the others up. I'll just have to wait for the EXP DLC for another playthrough. Gotta say though, 18 was refreshingly easy compared to some of the earlier chapters.

Man, the lack of weapon usage is making me not bother buying weapons, 'm basically using whatever I find or what characters come with. I think i bought a bolt ax and thats it

I like it, self impose challange of sorts

Moonlight

Banned
Peri got two full level ups. Every stat up except for magic and magic is worthless on her. It was beautiful. It was amazing.

Then an archer lands a lucky critical hit on Effie. I am a dark cauldron of emotion right now.

How do you feel about pre promoted characters in this game. In previous Fire Emblems I tend to avoid them with a few exceptions (like Athos in Fire Emblem rekka no ken) but in this game they seem to give you more than usual and they don't seem bad. I'm at Birthright 15 and Ryoma seems like a very good unit, but I'm afraid that if I use him he'll sponge too much exp and when I later want to use him he'll be too weak compared to normally promoted units. Would you recommend the pre promoted units in this game?
Ryoma is fucking amazing. Try not to use him to much early on since he'll drain a lot of xp for low returns though. A lot of his levels were gained through paramours for me since those scale and he doesn't get completely shitty gains for killing units in those. But he's really great since he can jump into hordes of enemies paired up (preferably with a weaker unit due to his personal skill) and just wreck everything that comes at him. He was easily me second best unit after Corrin at the end of my birthright run

So reclassing question. My avatar is at level 20 ATM. If I reclass instead of promote do I get the skills of the new class right away or not?

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Ryoma is fucking amazing. Try not to use him to much early on since he'll drain a lot of xp for low returns though. A lot of his levels were gained through paramours for me since those scale and he doesn't get completely shitty gains for killing units in those. But he's really great since he can jump into hordes of enemies paired up (preferably with a weaker unit due to his personal skill) and just wreck everything that comes at him. He was easily me second best unit after Corrin at the end of my birthright run

Your Corrin was good? Mine is straight up garbage, and I wonder how it's even possible to make this character work. What did you do to make yours any good at all?

Your Corrin was good? Mine is straight up garbage, and I wonder how it's even possible to make this character work. What did you do to make yours any good at all?
My Corrin had max str since level 11 promoted, max skill, max defense, and I think even max speed by the end. Plus his skills were great since I got him replicate and nobility. I fed him a few stat boosts (mainly skill) but not too many. Boon was strength, bane was luck. Besides replicate, I also used ninja early on so he had poison strike most of the game, but that was largely useless later on since he killed everything in one go anyways

I think it largely depends on growths. Ryoma joins really late and thus his base stats are at the mininum passable given his insanely useful weapon, so it's really hard to screw him up.

My avatar unit has like 40 levels to become either god or barely useable. At the very least even if he sucks with the Dragonstone he should be a decent tank to pull in enemy mobs for your squishier units to mop up. Usually whatever "boon" you pick will end up maxed, so provided you picked something applicable like Str or Def you should be able to find a role. Very few units, however, are like Ryoma in that you can stick them in a horde of hostiles and vaporize them.

I think it largely depends on growths. Ryoma joins really late and thus his base stats are at the mininum passable given his insanely useful weapon, so it's really hard to screw him up.

My avatar unit has like 40 levels to become either god or barely useable. At the very least even if he sucks with the Dragonstone he should be a decent tank to pull in enemy mobs for your squishier units to mop up. Usually whatever "boon" you pick will end up maxed, so provided you picked something applicable like Str or Def you should be able to find a role. Very few units, however, are like Ryoma in that you can stick them in a horde of hostiles and vaporize them.
my Corrin could do that, provided the enemy didn't have range. In fact, doing that (as well as using replicate) was the key to my invasion 3 strategy

So I wanted to try out class changing my Corrin's kids, and tried Heart Seal-ing Sophie. I know it only makes sense, because hereditary abilities and all that, but I didn't think Sophie could just be a dragon like that. It looks so weird on anyone who isn't Corrin or Kana. I guess every potential kid can be a friggin' dragon.

Just finished Conquest, clocked in at 40 hours. This is easily the best English Fire Emblem in terms of gameplay. The new weapon triangle feels balanced, especially now that bows aren't worthless. Rebalancing the weapon materials was another great decision, I like how the lowest tier is your safest bet, and as you get more proficient the option to take more risky options (weapons) becomes available. There was a great amount of objectives and creative use of the mechanics, shout out to the level with the hidden boss and the level that changes flyer and land unit speeds. Just rating it on this part of the game it is a 9.5 easy.

The story now... Whoo boy did they screw it up here. The characters, with a couple of notable exceptions like Xander, feel poorly written. The supports are at least a little better then the main campaign. It went from a cool premise, to cool possibilities, to the most stupid thing I've ever seen. The whole last arc revolves around the possibility that something may work if they do this thing. Honestly one of the most obtuse plot threads I've seen in a game. Rating it with the story added in, it would be an 8.5.

For anyone on the edge reading this thread, it is well worth it if you go in knowing the story is garbage.

Ponn

Banned
So in Conquest its getting tougher and tougher to try and grind lower level people up. i'm on chapter, think 14, and Corrin finally hit level 20 and I master sealed him. I have a few others that are about to hit level 20, Effie, Kaze, Niles, Silas and Felicia. Is it worth it at this point to continue to split my attention and work on lower level units or should I just pick one core squad and stick with them? Without being able to grind I don't want to end up with underleveled units because I was trying to spend time on others that were never going to get there anyways.

So in Conquest its getting tougher and tougher to try and grind lower level people up. i'm on chapter, think 14, and Corrin finally hit level 20 and I master sealed him. I have a few others that are about to hit level 20, Effie, Kaze, Niles, Silas and Felicia. Is it worth it at this point to continue to split my attention and work on lower level units or should I just pick one core squad and stick with them?

Classic Emblem has always been about picking a core squad early on and focusing on them. Any XP you give to units beyond your main squad is XP that your main squad loses out on.

Dynasty8

I just bought a new 3ds with both games on Amazon.

I consider myself an SRPG and FE vet...should I start normal mode on Conquest first and move on to hard difficulty Birthright once I'm done? I am looking for a challenge.

Without spoilers, please let me know what your recommendations are.

Ponn

Banned
Classic Emblem has always been about picking a core squad early on and focusing on them. Any XP you give to units beyond your main squad is XP that your main squad loses out on.

Alright then, that kills me in these types of games because I want to use anyone. No unit left behind.

Am I ok just keeping Felicia focused on healing alone or should I use Elise as well?

Lunar15

Alright then, that kills me in these types of games because I want to use anyone. No unit left behind.

Am I ok just keeping Felicia focused on healing alone or should I use Elise as well?

Well, I mean, eventually you're going to have an army far bigger than what you can take on to the battlefield. This is why I never really liked that they added grinding because people think you have to have EVERYONE at a certain level.

The idea is that not everyone's RNG is going to turn out great on any given gameplay, you might lose units if you're playing with Permadeath, etc... so you have other units to use if those guys die or aren't up to snuff.

Renewed

Birthright Hard Chapter 15

Guard Naginata Oboro with Paladin Silas (w/ Beast Killer) have become an impenetrable wall and almighty weapon. Meanwhile Kaden helps cleaning up as he picked up a new Beaststone and started tearing fools apart. Dragon's Vein was pretty cool (I activated in the order of west, middle and northeast so I didn't have to pull the northeast Wolfskin. More promotions are coming up now between the Master Seals dropped and the money given to afford more. Heck I'm sitting on 70,000 Gold.

I finally got (my first) S rank with Silas and I'll do the new missions later.

Taruranto

Finally managed to get past Chapter 22 Conquest without a single death. Took me all afternoon, fucking walls.

I got Leo and Felicia to S rank, but they make such a bad pairing that I'm tempted to keep them at A. Jesus, Felicia's supports are SO BAD.

I just bought a new 3ds with both games on Amazon.

I consider myself an SRPG and FE vet...should I start normal mode on Conquest first and move on to hard difficulty Birthright once I'm done? I am looking for a challenge.

Without spoilers, please let me know what your recommendations are.

Well, if you're good at these games and want a challenge I would definitely do at least hard mode on both games. The modes are normal-hard-lunatic, so normal is probably close to easy mode in the other games. I'm doing lunatic birthright right now, and I think it's pretty challenging, but no where near as impossible as lunatic mode in other games. If you're doing Conquest first, then I would go hard on that, and if you want a bigger challenge afterward, then do lunatic on birthright.

im only on chapter 9 birthright lunatic

i just married
rhajat
as a female

i ended up support grinding hayato with orochi to get her

my god the chapter was honestly the most nailbiting chapter ive ever experienced O-o

im loving this game so far and lunatic seems to be pretty manage able

so far everyone of my main use characters have been getting a lot of good stats my rinkah can tank almost everything physical without much worry

Dimmle

Also note that Hard is Actually Hard in this game when compared to Awakening's Hard, which was really just normal.

I'm starting to get pretty peeved at some of the dice rolls in Paralogue 5. And why do all the villagers shuffle directly into a fortress of killer barbarians like lemmings?

PK Gaming

My Corrin had max str since level 11 promoted, max skill, max defense, and I think even max speed by the end. Plus his skills were great since I got him replicate and nobility. I fed him a few stat boosts (mainly skill) but not too many. Boon was strength, bane was luck. Besides replicate, I also used ninja early on so he had poison strike most of the game, but that was largely useless later on since he killed everything in one go anyways

I haven't beaten the game yet, but that about sums it up for my Corrin. Strength is an awesome boon, since it also raises your Strength growth to freakishly high levels and your defense growth gets a slight boost as well. Ryoma's disgustingly OP, but my Corrin ain't too shabby either. Pretty sure she'll surpass him at some point.

I think it's so the player has to be aggressive and can't just turtle out an otherwise simple map.

As for Ryoma vs. Corrin I found Corrin's survivability to be worse and not having Raijinto made Ryoma >>> Corrin for me, but I probably should have just reclassed him to Swordmaster and dumped more resources into him.

appaws

Banned
Sorry to ask twice, but these threads move at the speed of light, and there is not information out there about this yet...

So I am playing Birthright, but I bought Conquest to get access to the items and stuff. I want to try out the dread fighter class.

If I am going to use it on Rinkah, should I level her to 20 first, promote her, and then reclass her to dread fighter?

a question is there a way to get more lord classes? i saw a castle that had more than one lord class and i was curious if that class is transferable

Draxal

I think it's so the player has to be aggressive and can't just turtle out an otherwise simple map.

As for Ryoma vs. Corrin I found Corrin's survivability to be worse and not having Raijinto made Ryoma >>> Corrin for me, but I probably should have just reclassed him to Swordmaster and dumped more resources into him.

Vantage helps a ton.

a question is there a way to get more lord classes? i saw a castle that had more than one lord class and i was curious if that class is transferable

Rev has access to Hoshido Noble and Nohr Noble. Awakening DLC gives access to Marth's lodestar class and Lucina's great lord class, but they only give one item. Ike's Vanguard class and Robin's Grandmaster class can be obtained in later dlc. All 4 of them are gender specific.

I wanted to do normal classes before messing around with reclassing but I can see that sticking with the main class kind of sucks, especially since dragonstones seem pretty worthless.

Debating if I should do Nohr Noble for my Conquest run hmmmmmm

Vantage helps a ton.

Rev has access to Hoshido Noble and Nohr Noble. Awakening DLC gives access to Marth's lodestar class and Lucina's great lord class, but they only give one item. Ike's Vanguard class and Robin's Grandmaster class can be obtained in later dlc. All 4 of them are gender specific.

i see thanks :) btw im guessing they arent acessible through reclass scrolls and what not?

rhandino

Banned
OMG! Last night I got Reina during the
ship chapter
of Birthright.

She is so good to use and she also looks AMAZING! Almost ALMOST tempted to reload an old save so my avatar can marry her and not Azura because they both are amazing together T_T

Wilsongt

Effie is a goddamn monster. But I am worried part of that is always being paired with THE CHIN. Makes me wonder if I need to keep wasting a unit spot just to have them paired up the whole time.

heringer

Guys, I have a question.

Suppose I buy the game physically. Then I buy the other campaign as a DLC. Can I access that even if I sell the physical copy?

Fumpster

Does anyone have tips for leveling up Mozu? I try to get her to get the last hit on opponents, but they always end up dying at some point.

Top Bottom