• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Heroes |OT|Natural Selection Simulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Soya's Weapon looks really nice, Wo Dao effect on a tome, with no damage loss.

I am somewhat confused by how Cancel Affinity is worded, I guess seeing it in action will clear stuff up.

Shield Pulse is some mashup of Quickened Pulse and Fury. Weird skill, could never really make the defensive specials work for me.

redcrayon

Mathilda's negate weapon triangle ability looks interesting, if a bit situational. Leon's bow that lowers his special countdown should make him a decent archer, and Saber looks pretty cool too. They were three of my favourites from SoV so happy to see them.

At the very least there's some good SI fodder amongst the new units.

77057c1387.jpg

clive?

DooD1234

Welp, and I just spent all my orbs on the Summer banner earlier. For once I feel overwhelmed by all these banners coming out. I hope IS is also thinking about adding some new characters into the 3* pool because I'm getting sick of pulling the same guys in the 3* pool.

chrono01

All of these nice banners and I know they're going to release the one everyone (well, a lot of people anyway) are waiting for shortly afterwards, that being the CYL one. It's been teased so long (since before launch), I'm genuinely surprised we didn't get it yet. The six month anniversary seems like a good time though, as I can't see them waiting an entire year. If the power creep is to be expected, those will probably be more powerful than anything else.

I just have a feeling...

Sölf

Delthea, holy shit. Mathilda, holy shit. All 3 Alm units are crazy. I am going to put all my 120+ orbs I will have then down. Jesus, I need them.

ggx2ac

I can't look at those trailers right now so I don't know the new skills.

I was looking at who would be good with Windsweep and Phantom Spd Seal and I think that Male Corrin, a character that barely exists in the game would get good use out of it.

His speed is just okay at 32 (neutral), if he attacks with the Omega Yato he gets a +4 Spd (Darting Blow) effect. With Phantom Spd Seal and Windsweep added on, he would have 41 Spd when he attacks, he only needs to be at 1 Spd higher than an opponent to get Windsweep to work and he wouldn't need Threaten Spd to help lower enemy Spd.

Of course it might not sound useful but I am trying to find any use out of Wind/Watersweep with Phantom Spd Seal.

champloo

I don't think it's power creep when these are still weaker than the Legendary weapons.

Maybe IS just realized they've made some of the generic weapons too weak.. but instead of buffing Killing Edge, they decided to create a new weapon?

Sölf

I can't look at those trailers right now so I don't know the new skills.

I was looking at who would be good with Windsweep and Phantom Spd Seal and I think that Male Corrin, a character that barely exists in the game would get good use out of it.

His speed is just okay at 32 (neutral), if he attacks with the Omega Yato he gets a +4 Spd (Darting Blow) effect. With Phantom Spd Seal and Windsweep added on, he would have 41 Spd when he attacks, he only needs to be at 1 Spd higher than an opponent to get Windsweep to work and he wouldn't need Threaten Spd to help lower enemy Spd.

Of course it might not sound useful but I am trying to find any use out of Wind/Watersweep with Phantom Spd Seal.

Most important:

- Horse Killing Lance
- Horse Killing Sword
- B Skill that deactivates triangle advantage
- Dark Aura (Blue Mage) that buffs nearby Sword/Lance/Axe/Dragonstonte with +6 ATK
- Miracle on a Mage
- Slaying Weapons which are +3 ATK Killing Weapons

Did I miss something?

spiritfox

I don't think it's power creep when these are still weaker than the Legendary weapons.

Maybe IS just realized they've made some of the generic weapons too weak.. but instead of buffing Killing Edge, they decided to create a new weapon?

Except now that all units using killer weapons are strictly inferior to the same unit with an inherited slayer weapon. And right now the new weapons are locked to 5* only units so you chances of getting them are low. They could have just buffed killer weapons if they thought they were too weak.

ggx2ac

Sölf;243228714 said:
Most important:

- Horse Killing Lance
- Horse Killing Sword

Not surprised that horse slayer weapons appeared, Cavalry emblem needs to be taken down a peg.

Sölf;243228714 said:
- B Skill that deactivates triangle advantage

Colourless units will get to negate -raven Triangle Adept mages.

Sölf;243228714 said:
- Dark Aura (Blue Mage) that buffs nearby Sword/Lance/Axe/Dragonstonte with +6 ATK
- Miracle on a Mage
- Slaying Weapons which are +3 ATK Killing Weapons

Did I miss something?

I'll have to check the rest.

champloo

Except now that all units using killer weapons are strictly inferior to the same unit with an inherited slayer weapon. And right now the new weapons are locked to 5* only units so you chances of getting them are low. They could have just buffed killer weapons if they thought they were too weak.

Yeah I would prefer them just balancing the existed weapons/skills, quite a lot of them are underpowered (wolf tome, armorslayer, daggers, etc).

Maybe they've made the decision to not change anything that's released..

Ninferno

I'm not sure I understand the description of Cancel Affinity; what are these 2 different cases it is talking about? Is it that the "negate" part refers to things like raven tomes, gem weapons, and Triangle Adept, which are WTA related "skills" while the "reverse" part is about pure innate color disadvantage?

If I understand correctly, this will be an insane skill for Reinhardt's B slot. Julia and Titania will be fucked...

BTW, the arts in Alm's army is really bad (Delthea's chibi sprite looks adorable though) while Celica's are generally good (Saber's is meh though).

spiritfox

I'm not sure I understand the wording of Cancel Affinity. What are these 2 different cases it is talking about. Is it that the "negate" portion refers to things like Raven Tomes, gem weapons, and Triangle Adept, which are WTA related "skills" while the "reverse" portion is about pure innate color disadvantage?

If I understand correctly, this will be an insane skill for Reinhardt's B slot. Julia and Titania will be fucked...

Oh boy like Reinhardt needs to get more powerful.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Colourless units will get to negate -raven Triangle Adept mages.
Wouldn't it not just negate raven, but actually give the colorless unit the Advantage? The skill royally screws the Raven Tome + Trinangle Adapt build, but I wonder if that makes it worthwhile enough to stick on an Archer.

macklelol

I'm not sure I understand the description of Cancel Affinity, what are these 2 different cases it is talking about? Is it that the "negate" portion refers to things like Raven Tomes, gem weapons, and Triangle Adept, which are WTA related "skills" while the "reverse" portion is about pure innate color disadvantage?

I think it means any TA/Raven tome effects on the unit with Cancel Affinty is negated, while reversing the effects of TA/Raven tomes on enemies.

spiritfox

I don't know if that would necessarily make him more powerful. He'd counter green units but lose to red such as Ryoma, Celica and Tharja which are much more prevalent.

The wording is a little problematic. Does it just cancel out disadvantages or does it also reverse advantages too? Is it okay only TA or are gem weapons also included?

Wait a damn second, are the Slaying weapons litterally just buffed Killing weapons? Killing Edge and Slaying Edge seem to do the exact same thing , but Slaying Edge has +3 attack.

Yeah I don't like the looks of this, as well. Why not just add 3 MT to the killer weapons, I don't understand.

Everything else looks fine, but the fact that the Slayer weapons are just straight up better Killer weapons bothers me.

Ninferno

I don't know if that would necessarily make him more powerful. He'd counter green units but lose to red such as Ryoma, Celica and Tharja which are much more prevalent.

The description says disadvantages are reversed but doesn't mention advantages explicitly. That's why I said I'm not sure I understand the wording here.

Cancel Affinity 3
Any weapon triangle affinity granted by unit's skill is negated. If affinity disadvantage exists,
weapon triangle affinity granted by foe's skill is reversed.

From how I read it, it cancels Triangle Adept and reverses the effect so that both units deal damage to each other as if weapon advantage didn't exist. TA normally gives 20% bonus on top of natural weapon triangle that gives 20% which creates a 40% bonus. With Cancel Affinity it negates the 20% TA bonus against the natural 20% bonus so both units deal 100% dmg to each other rather than 140% to 60%. Have to see it in practice, the wording is confusing.

spiritfox

From how I read it, it cancels Triangle Adept and reverses the effect so that both units deal damage to each other as if weapon advantage didn't exist. TA normally gives 20% bonus on top of natural weapon triangle which gives 20% which created a 40% bonus. With Cancel Affinity it negates the 20% TA bonus against the natural 20% bonus so both units deal 100% dmg to each other rather than 140% to 60%. Have to see it in practice, the wording is confusing.

So, the skill does nothing if the enemy doesn't have TA, or raven or gem weapons, and if you have TA it wouldn't do anything too? What if you have TA and triangle disadvantage?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
The wording is a little problematic. Does it just cancel out disadvantages or does it also reverse advantages too? Is it okay only TA or are gem weapons also included?

It really is a mess between Gem Weapons, Raven Tomes, and Triangle Adapt. It only affects skills, but what skills constitute as up to debate. It likely includes weapon passives though.

If you have TA, and this new skill, your TA would actually get disabled (Or would you still keep the penalty for disadvantages??? You are not getting the buff at least. )

So, you are Blue, enemy is Green, has TA3, TA3 will go from +20%Attack to -20%Attack.

The Question is, how the fuck does this work with Raven Tomes? The wording says "If affinity disadvantage exists, affinity granted by skills is reversed". Does this mean a Raven
Tome User attacking a Colorless unit would get its affinity against color modifier reversed, so now the colorless unit has advantage over the attacker? Or would this only affect the Raven Tome User if they had Triangle Adapt, reversing their Triangle Adapt?

We will have to wait and see
ashot_jugg.gif

redcrayon

From how I read it, it cancels Triangle Adept and reverses the effect so that both units deal damage to each other as if weapon advantage didn't exist. TA normally gives 20% bonus on top of natural weapon triangle that gives 20% which creates a 40% bonus. With Cancel Affinity it negates the 20% TA bonus against the natural 20% bonus so both units deal 100% dmg to each other rather than 140% to 60%. Have to see it in practice, the wording is confusing.
That's how I read it. Mathilda with Cancel Affinity is a blue unit that functions as a colourless unit with regard to damage sustained/output, regardless of emerald weapons, WTA etc. Still remains vulnerable to stuff like Lancebreaker. Could be really useful.

So, the skill does nothing if the enemy doesn't have TA, or raven or gem weapons, and if you have TA it wouldn't do anything too? What if you have TA and triangle disadvantage?

My assumption is this skill does nothing unless the opposing unit has TA. (Not sure if gem weapons count as the skill explicitly states "unit's skills") If Mathilda also has TA herself thats where it gets really confusing as Cancel Affinity doesn't state "this unit" or "opposing unit".

E: rereading it, the second sentence says it reverses the foe's skills.
Say Mathilda (blue) has triangle adept and the foe (green) has triangle adept. The foes triangle adept is reversed so that both units do 100% dmg to each other. Mathilda's triangle adept wouldn't come into consideration because when the attacking and defending units both have TA it doesn't stack with each other. (It would still be 140% to 60% rather than 160% to 40%)

Ninferno

Well, if it indeed brings everything from 60%, 80%, 120%, 140% to 100% regardless, then it is an insane skill for Reinhardt, because Reinhardt certainly do not need 120% or 140% to kill reds.

redcrayon

My assumption is this skill does nothing unless the opposing unit has TA. (Not sure if gem weapons count as the skill explicitly states "unit's skills") If Mathilda also has TA herself thats where it gets really confusing as Cancel Affinity doesn't state "this unit" or "opposing unit".
I think gem weapons count as skills as they are on the 'skill list' and can be gained through SI.

Yeah, it could be worded much better, but the first sentence almost certainly applies to the skill owner in context as says 'unit' and the next sentence says 'foe.' There's presumably no point having a gem weapon or Triangle Adept if you also want Cancel Affinity, as the point of that skill is designed to level the WTA playing field.

Why they didn't just say 'when in combat no skills that offer WTA or Affinity can be used by either side, damage is 100% each way' or something like that is odd, it seems like a complicated way of describing how to apply logic to reach the end result that is really simple.

ggx2ac

Before I saw the description, I also assumed that Cancel Affinity meant Mathilda would be attacking enemies like in Fire Emblem Echoes where in that game there is no Weapon Triangle.

Now that it says weapon disadvantage is reversed, I'm confused as to whether it's going to give Mathilda a weapon advantage or everything stays neutral?

Why couldn't they have her attack a green unit in the YouTube video...

redcrayon

Before I saw the description, I also assumed that Cancel Affinity meant Mathilda would be attacking enemies like in Fire Emblem Echoes where in that game there is no Weapon Triangle.

Now that it says weapon disadvantage is reversed, I'm confused as to whether it's going to give Mathilda a weapon advantage or everything stays neutral?

Why couldn't they have her attack a green unit in the YouTube video...
The key is what negates/reverses skill effects and whether it impacts on inate weapon triangle advantage.

As far as I can see, weapon disadvantage from enemy skills is reversed, I.e. Triangle adept.
Damage bonus/penalty from units inate colour isn't.

So Green vs blue with Cancel 3 = still green advantage?
Green with Triangle Adept vs blue with Cancel 3 = neutral at Triangle Adept 2, a slight advantage to blue at TA3, and a slight advantage to green at TA1?

Edit: updated example

I think gem weapons count as skills as they are on the 'skill list' and can be gained through SI.

Yeah, it could be worded much better, but the first sentence almost certainly applies to the skill owner in context as says 'unit' and the next sentence says 'foe.' There's presumably no point having a gem weapon or Triangle Adept if you also want Cancel Affinity, as the point of that skill is designed to level the WTA playing field.

Why they didn't just say 'when in combat no skills that offer WTA or Affinity can be used by either side, damage is 100% each way' or something like that is odd, it seems like a complicated way of describing how to apply logic to reach the end result that is really simple.
I think they worded it that way because TA 1 & 2 exist. Reversing them would end with the attacker dealing 90%(blue) dmg to defender who deals 110%(green) dmg with TA1. Since this is Cancel Affinity 3 I have to wonder how the first two ranks are worded any differently and if that would clear up what this skill actually does. lol

E: changed explanation to blue v green to remain consistent with Mathilda.

redcrayon

I think they worded it that way because TA 1 & 2 exist. Reversing them would end with the attacker receiving 110%(red) to 90%(green) with TA1. Since this is Cancel Affinity 3 I have to wonder how the first two ranks are worded any differently and if that would clear up what this skill actually does. lol
Ah, that makes sense, good spot, thanks!
Perhaps the first two ranks might just halve the foes advantage at CA1 and negate it at CA2.

Looked at the weapon types of the new Heroes, and I have zero need for any of them. I don't really care about using Focuses for two weeks of Arena boosting, since I'm not that into it anymore.

I decided to summon from Tempest Trials until I got a 40% bonus Hero. 4* Lukas was just not fun to use, and I wanted more points. I wanted to summon with as few Orbs as possible, so I would have stopped even at 4* Boey or Mae.

Maybe the RNG gods would show me mercy, so that I could immediately back out and increase my stash. I'm being punished for +SPD/-RES Bridelia, I guess.

I did full sessions each time, because color hunting cost me a lot of Orbs last time. Every color can spawn a focus on this banner. I went from 140 Orbs to 20 Orbs just to get a 5*, and it is +DEF/-SPD Mae (awful!). I really think it was the lack of other good units or decent fodder that sort of made this a bust. Only positives were getting Eirika and Hawkeye. The Eirika is +DEF/-RES, which a defensively solid build. I've wanted her for a very long time, so I can now seriously consider moving Blarblade+ to my Linde. Or build up one of my +ATK/-DEF copies of Nino.

I'll have over 100 Orbs again by August, but I should have probably just saved. I will just make the best of what I have, and use these Feathers that I'm hoarding. I can at least grind Trials better now.

I just want good rates when the special August banner comes around. Please bless me!

Ninferno

Looking at Cancel Affinity's icon, it looks like a distorted TA icon, which leads me to believe that it is effectively a reversed TA (and gem weapons), but only when the the unit with CA is at disadvantage. When the foe does not have TA, CA does nothing.

So a Reinhardt with CA vs Julia => gets the normal -20%.
vs Titantia => 0%, because Titania's TA in Emerald Axe is "reversed".
vs Sanaki => gets the normal 40% because Reinhardt is NOT at disadvantage.

And the first sentence in the description is just saying the unit with CA's own TA (if any) will be negated, which goes without saying because why on earth would you want to have TA and CA on the same unit.

Mupod

wait, shit. With that many new units it means that Cecilia's spot in the bonus rotation might get overwritten next arena season, right? Dammit I was counting on that.

I have been amassing a nice pile of orbs (and have barely touched the chain challenge) so I might try to get Mathilda.

OVDRobo

I've got to admit that I chuckled after opening the Alm's army trailer first and the first two new characters introduced had back-to-back 'effective against cavalry' effects.

There's some interesting stuff there skill-wise and power creep is definitely going into effect, but I'm only vaguely interested in Mathilda and Saber as far as characters go.

Maybe we'll get some more drastic changes some day like units with interchangeable colours. I'm finding it harder and harder to get excited when they add a red sword or blue cavalry because we're swimming in fantastic units in those categories already. I suppose that's the problem when your series likes to carry certain archetypes across games. It's hard to make things like Red Fliers without annoying someone when most flying units canonically wield axes or lances.

After watching Alfonse double and kill a lancer, kill Takumi who procc'd Vengeance at like 2 HP, and tank Reinhardt, I'm not sure why the idea didn't hit me sooner: Prayer on Elise.

Current Elise setup:
Absorb
Recover
Prayer
Close Counter
Wrathful Staff
Hone Cavalry
Fortify Res

Barring the stronger Brave users, no one can kill her after triggering Prayer because a) pony buffs are broken and b) my little sister can't be -broken (because Staffbreaker doesn't exist). Quick Riposte and Distant Counter can also kill her, but the typical ones aren't exactly known for their high Res nor Spd. That means, generally, I can get away with the dumbest things so long as it's active (and it's pretty easy to charge)

-

More Prayer stuff:
Shield Pulse + Quickened Pulse = 2-charge Prayer. I'm sure there's an application for this, like, say, attacking a green with a red when Reinhardt is nearby. Or Prayer+ Shield Pulse + Quickened Pulse on a 'scapegoat' unit for your defense team when everyone else is packing Wings of Mercy.

*Thinks*

Reinhardt. Shield Pulse. Quickened Pulse. Prayer. If he attacks and you can't send him to 1 HP in one shot, you're going to get WoM'd hard. Olwen probably more dangerous because she has an actual Spd stat.

Weebos

Banned
Are we expecting new units for Choose Your Legends? Or just 5% for Ike, Lyn, Lucina, and Roy.

I believe they said when the event was announced that they would have new costumes, so we can probably assume they will have new weapons and skills.

EDIT: Says it specifically here.

EDIT 2: Also they're supposed to release after summer, so expect them in September, maybe October.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom