• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Pro Wrestling World [OT] Fire Pro Wrestling Returns

ElRenoRaven

Man I can't wait. 10 hours away. I haven't played one since the PS1/PS2 days. i'm so gonna suck but man it will be fun.

Just from videos (and no experience) here is what I will be requesting during the Early Access as additional features:

* Submissions need to be held longer
* Ladder Matches
* Table Matches
* 4th model size for giants (Big Show, Andre, I know how hard this would be)
* Illegal moves that cause disqualification
* Managers

The other games allowed managers it just wasn't obvious. When choosing your character you can pick a second, who does accompany you to the ring.

My big issue with this in Fire Pro Wrestling Returns was that if you had a second accompany your character, it switched to a zoomed out view to always keep them on screen which was a bit annoying.

Slizz

BNAKmyP.jpg

Foffy

Banned
I read somewhere that the breathing mechanic had been altered somehow in this game. Anyone know anything about that?

It was broken in Returns. They fixed it.

Basically, there were breathing stats in the prior game that didn't work as intended, and that was one of the first things they fixed, engine wise.

spookytapes

Neo Member
I really want this on PS4 but I have the feeling that I'll be getting it on PC just because I need all of those unlicensed wrestlers, logos, and music.

vixlar

But will it be better than wwf no mercy?

I know it is different. It has his own fans. But as AKI is no longer making games, and the good reviews this game has had all this years, I would say you should give it a try. Important: DO NOT TRY Xbox Live version. It is awful.

Coketruck

It was broken in Returns. They fixed it.

Basically, there were breathing stats in the prior game that didn't work as intended, and that was one of the first things they fixed, engine wise.

Cool, thanks. Honestly, I never liked the breathing thing and wouldn't mind if they took it out entirely, but then I guess it wouldn't be Fire Pro.

Foffy

Banned
Cool, thanks. Honestly, I never liked the breathing thing and wouldn't mind if they took it out entirely, but then I guess it wouldn't be Fire Pro.

Breathing is there so that the game keeps a bit of a more realistic edge, otherwise you're just gonna move spam.

You can also use it to really deal with the CPU if they are a difficult opponent. Say you're a super light dude fighting someone like Andre the Giant. You ain't lifting that dude for the most part, but you can irish whip the dude until he gets gassed, making most attacks incredibly taxing. Wear and there that way.

I hope they expand on limb damage and submission systems with updates. While I just talked about a level of depth to fucking breathing, this doesn't exist within the game in the submission system. Just do enough wear and tear, do a baby armbreaker, and you win. They mentioned on the stream that they might add some system where certain moves could be designed to do damage and others can be labeled to aim for submissions, so I hope we see something like that in the game. Maybe any submission that gets labeled as a finisher or signature move gets submission properties? It would fix it but narrow down submission matches or MMA guys to having about one of four ways of taking down an opponent, but I guess they can expand on this, too.

PrimeBeef

Man this looks awesome. I've heard about Fire Pro, but never played one before. My last go around was No Mercy for the N64. I do feel a bit intimidated by all the customisation though. Definitely grabbing tonight. Any tips fow newcomers to the series?

Foffy

Banned
Man this looks awesome. I've heard about Fire Pro, but never played one before. My last go around was No Mercy for the N64. I do feel a bit intimidated by all the customisation though. Definitely grabbing tonight. Any tips fow newcomers to the series?

The game comes with a mission mode as a tutorial.

Play that. You unlock more edit points for your creations so they can have more stats, and you also unlock some moves new to the game that aren't available out of the gate.

I hope that latter bit is better explained to people. I imagine on launch day we're gonna see some wrestlers having "fill in moves" that might likely have their actual counterparts as unlockables in this mode.

Slizz

I was late to Fire Pro hype as well, best way to learn/get the feel of things is to first;

Put the COM level at 1, then play a 2 player game, obviously have no one playing the other controller. Now you can kind of get the moves and timing down.

Then play the COM at level 1 against the CPU and just work your way up the COM levels.... 4 is used for simulations, and thats what I'm playing at currently. You'll get it soon enough and it's just like the n64 games when it comes to the moves.

Customization though, I'm no help.

The game comes with a mission mode as a tutorial.

Play that. You unlock more edit points for your creations so they can have more stats, and you also unlock some moves new to the game that aren't available out of the gate.

I hope that latter bit is better explained to people. I imagine on launch day we're gonna see some wrestlers having "fill in moves" that might likely have their actual counterparts as unlockables in this mode.

Also important to note, in early access you don't get any notification as to what you unlocked, this is something they said they'd add on a stream last night.

I know my laptop can probably run this just fine and I want to play it so bad... but I know PS4 is where I'd play it the most so it's gonna be a struggle to wait

Well, on the other side, it's only 20 bucks and you would support the developers with it and that equals more content for everyone.

Dina

I scrolled through that gameplay twitch stream, but the striking seems to be the most off to me. It seems to 90% of the time wiff even though you'd imagine it to hit.

I don't know how I feel about automatical reversals either.

Hasney

I scrolled through that gameplay twitch stream, but the striking seems to be the most off to me. It seems to 90% of the time wiff even though you'd imagine it to hit.

I don't know how I feel about automatical reversals either.

It's kind of the point. Strong strikes are high risk, so need to be timed to hit the perfect spot. The auto counter system works for the flow of the match in this specific engine as grapples are 50/50 at all times, so giving the guy who's receiving the move an additional chance to "win" the hit would be unfair.

Slizz

Playing gruesome fighting greatly helps your placement an positioning when trying to do strikes in any mode.

Branson

Oops I didn't know this thread was made lol. Excited for this! Hopefully it's good. It was made from scratch so hopefully it feels the same.

jae

Mission mode is more like achievements than a tutorial, be prepared to spend a lot of time doing it to unlock everything. Have to clear all of them to get all the moves The rank you get doesn't matter so just fulfill the requirements as fast as you can.

Creation suite is amazing. Once you get the hang of it you can make some really great stuff. Looking forward to what people will come up with.

Slizz

Mission mode is more like achievements than a tutorial, be prepared to spend a lot of time doing it to unlock everything. Have to clear all of them to get all the moves The rank you get doesn't matter so just fulfill the requirements as fast as you can.

Creation suite is amazing. Once you get the hang of it you can make some really great stuff. Looking forward to what people will come up with.

So lets say I DL a character pack that people already made. If the character has a move I haven't unlocked yet, it'll just be a filler move right? Then by the time I get the move it'll self correct?

Mission mode unlocking moves is annoying to me. I'd rather just pay a few bucks to unlock everything, kinda like the 2K series.

jae

So lets say I DL a character pack that people already made. If the character has a move I haven't unlocked yet, it'll just be a filler move right? Then by the time I get the move it'll self correct?

That's good question. Workshop isn't live yet. We will find out tomorrow, I guess. I have some edits up that can be downloaded once it goes live and a few use unlocked moves.

Don't think I should say anymore now. Spent the whole weekend with it. Will answer any questions I can tomorrow.

The taunting .gifs with licensed characters are from Returns, the rest are from World.

Ah ok I was confused how they got the WCW icon on the ring since the logo editor isn't on just yet. But on the stream they did sound pretty interested in getting it in

But will it be better than wwf no mercy?

Yes, if you give it a fair shot.

I'm a big fan of the AKI Wrestling games, and simply couldn't reconcile myself with FPW's more time-sensitive mechanics but then I played the CPU on easy and began with basic slams and kicks/punches before slowly graduating to more complex and devastating maneuvers. Once I was able to download/install character packs of pre-made WCW/WWE/ECW wrestlers, I was hooked -- their moves, their finishers, their taunts, and even their entrance themes were all there.

I'll buy this game eventually but I'll wait for the Fire Pro community to break it in first and deliver the CAW goodies before jumping in.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Fire Pro Wrestling series has been, and still is, just amazing. But you really need the CAW folks to get going. That was honestly my favorite part. Can't wait to get into this one. Not really feeling the PC version though...

Slizz

There has been multiple threads on a Fire Pro forum, with people claiming dibs on CAW's already.

Wouldn't be surprised to see some full rosters by tomorrow evening.

Foffy

Banned
Yes, if you give it a fair shot.

I'm a big fan of the AKI Wrestling games, and simply couldn't reconcile myself with FPW's more time-sensitive mechanics but then I played the CPU on easy and began with basic slams and kicks/punches before slowly graduating to more complex and devastating maneuvers. Once I was able to download/install character packs of pre-made WCW/WWE/ECW wrestlers, I was hooked -- their moves, their finishers, their taunts, and even their entrance themes were all there.

I'll buy this game eventually but I'll wait for the Fire Pro community to break it in first and deliver the CAW goodies before jumping in.

See you tonight then. ;)

Some people have CAWs ready to go on the Workshop right now. No idea if you can download them right now, but they're on the service.

There has been multiple threads on a Fire Pro forum, with people claiming dibs on CAW's already.

Wouldn't be surprised to see some full rosters by tomorrow evening.

And this is the just on the western end. Japan is gonna work on this stuff too.

Gonna be a bit hard to filter out the more accurate representations of wrestlers added to the service, I think.

Branson

Fire Pro Wrestling series has been, and still is, just amazing. But you really need the CAW folks to get going. That was honestly my favorite part. Can't wait to get into this one. Not really feeling the PC version though...
Why exactly? Seems like that's where all of the main CAW makers will be.

Top Bottom