• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First picture of superman…

kunonabi

The collar is really killing it. I'm sure they're going to use cg to fix the bagginess but honestly they way the suit is constructed it looks like it's really going to make his chest look small. That S design was also a supremely bad idea.

wipeout364

Is "Mr Terrific" some motocross guy?
This is a pretty good story to introduce you to Mr Terrific if you are interested.
IhWn5cX.jpeg

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Yeah… that’s not great. What’s with the shitty plastic looking yellow belt?

And either do cloth, or tight rubber suit. Don‘t do loose rubber. It looks poor.

Guess we’ll have to wait to see it on screen. At least the colours are great.

Last edited:
All the posts saying 'Suit Ugly'..... you know they CGI that shit.

The suits in every superhero movie are all CGI'd to make them appear better than in real life.

But there's no such issues with Cavill in his suit.

Henry-Cavill-Superman-Action-Comics-1.jpg

I sincerely hope this new suit is fixed in the final cut of the movie.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
But there's no such issues with Cavill in his suit.

Henry-Cavill-Superman-Action-Comics-1.jpg

I sincerely hope this new suit is fixed in the final cut of the movie.

I'll wait for the trailer for my final judgment, but yeah, it doesn't bode well. I seriously don't get why it's so baggy.

ManaByte ManaByte Oh look, another picture with the suit untouched. Or maybe you'll say that this photo was edited too... right?

jason10mm

Gold Member
Everything but the suit is on point. Handsome guy, almost Henry Cavill tier handsome but why does he look like he's wearing a blue jacket?
Padded for stunt work? Made to cool the actor because he'll be wearing it all day but they will only show it from a distance, through smoke, or from the neck up but he has it in case of a reflection?

Really hard to say from a photo out of context.

Padded for stunt work? Made to cool the actor because he'll be wearing it all day but they will only show it from a distance, through smoke, or from the neck up but he has it in case of a reflection?

Really hard to say from a photo out of context.

Oh shit haha. Didn't think of that.

The suit looks terrible. Looks like cheap cosplay with all the padding and the fact it doesn't fit him properly.

I'm also not a fan of the trunks at all. Snyder suit looks miles ahead, and even the Superman and Lois suit from CW looks a lot better in my opinion.

All the posts saying 'Suit Ugly'..... you know they CGI that shit.

The suits in every superhero movie are all CGI'd to make them appear better than in real life.
Only in marvel garbage. DC usually does practical. Pattinson in Batman? All practical sans cape in a few scenes. Superman in his movie. Wonder Woman in hers. The Flash and Aquaman in the Snyder cut. All real.

This cgi suit thing was ignited by CA: Civil War in 2016 when marvel studios soulless factory line rapid production timeline was just starting to catch up with them so Spider-Man and Black Panther were completely and frustratingly replaced with cartoon video game cgi. Then they started doing that with Spider-Man entirely through his trilogy and BP in his solo movie

Last edited:

MonkD

Looks good enough that'll be fine in post. Seen enough behind the scene pictures to understand that they look different during filming.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
To be fair, I'm happy to take a bit of a baggy looking plasticky suit, if we get a portrayal of Superman that is closer to the positive role model he should be. We've had years of mopey edgelord Superman, lets have the guy who isn't afraid to be a little cheesy, all-American, and kind back again. I think we kind of need that at the moment.

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
To be fair, I'm happy to take a bit of a baggy looking plasticky suit, if we get a portrayal of Superman that is closer to the positive role model he should be. We've had years of mopey edgelord Superman, lets have the guy who isn't afraid to be a little cheesy, all-American, and kind back again. I think we kind of need that at the moment.
And we had 30 years of happy *let's save this cat from a tree* Superman. I'm freakin tired of this boy scout representation. It's outdated. Do you really think Gunn can do better than Superman 78? Can you see young people saying "hey let's go see that cheesy Superman" when we had Marvel doing his bullshit with terrible movies, killing any interest the GA had for the genre (minus exception)?

I don't want this movie to fail, because I'm a DC fan and I want them to thrive. But this is not the way.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
And we had 30 years of happy *let's save this cat from a tree* Superman. I'm freakin tired of this boy scout representation. It's outdated. Do you really think Gunn can do better than Superman 78? Can you see young people saying "hey let's go see that cheesy Superman" when we had Marvel doing his bullshit with terrible movies, killing any interest the GA had for the genre (minus exception)?

I don't want this movie to fail, because I'm a DC fan and I want them to thrive. But this is not the way.

Mate. It’s been 37 years since we last had that kind of Superman on the big screen. Singer’s version was a mopey stalker who just lifted heavy stuff, and Snyder’s was a mopey edgelord who indulged in murder.

We are waaaaaay past time to return to a positive, upbeat portrayal of Superman that can act as role model to kids and a source of optimism for adults.

No, it shouldn’t just copy Donner, but it should be able to be playful, lighter and with an optimistic tone. Thats who and what Superman is when he’s at his best.

Done well (which is the main thing it needs to be) it’ll be a huge draw for kids and families.

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Mate. It’s been 37 years since we last had that kind of Superman on the big screen. Singer’s version was a mopey stalker who just lifted heavy stuff, and Snyder’s was a mopey edgelord who indulged in murder.

We are waaaaaay past time to return to a positive, upbeat portrayal of Superman that can act as role model to kids and a source of optimism for adults.

No, it shouldn’t just copy Donner, but it should be able to be playful, lighter and with an optimistic tone. Thats who and what Superman is when he’s at his best.

Done well (which is the main thing it needs to be) it’ll be a huge draw for kids and families.
Superman and Lois? You have a new season coming. And that's just the live action side because I could mention My Adventures with Superman for example. Also:

Cavill's Superman is hopeful, it's just more subtle than saying it outright and having him do things we've seen in every other movie. And as I said we already had this type of Superman, in 1978. Gunn won't do better.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Superman and Lois? You have a new season coming. And that's just the live action side because I could mention My Adventures with Superman for example. Also:

Cavill's Superman is hopeful, it's just more subtle than saying it outright and having him do things we've seen in every other movie. And as I said we already had this type of Superman, in 1978. Gunn won't do better.

Eh. The TV stuff is so small scale, I don't think it has any impact on public perception, unlike movie versions.

You know I disagree with you about the Cavill portrayal, and I do think Gunn can do a decent job with any luck.

Mind you, I'm so apathetic about the whole superhero movie genre now, I can't summon up much enthusiasm one way or another :pie_eyeroll:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Eh. The TV stuff is so small scale, I don't think it has any impact on public perception, unlike movie versions.

You know I disagree with you about the Cavill portrayal, and I do think Gunn can do a decent job with any luck.

Mind you, I'm so apathetic about the whole superhero movie genre now, I can't summon up much enthusiasm one way or another :pie_eyeroll:
I guess time will tell. Let's hope for the best tho as I don't think DC can take another loose unfortunately.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I guess time will tell. Let's hope for the best tho as I don't think DC can take another loose unfortunately.

Oh, I don't think it's going to go well for them. Gunn's half-assed 'reboot' is not going to work, and neither is trying to introduce yet another fucking Batman. His ego is getting in the way of the one successful play they probably have: a proper world's finest team-up between Corenswet's Superman and Pattinson's Batman. The thing they should have done more than a decade ago.

But he's got to have his fucking wife and brother in everything, and be the king of the hill with every character, so we get an ongoing mess that nobody is going to get behind. Not least because this Superman appears to be desperately trying to shoe-horn in even more DC superheroes - Black Adam style, - which will turn people off en masse. Nobody gives a fuck about superheroes beyond the big four or five now.

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Oh, I don't think it's going to go well for them. Gunn's half-assed 'reboot' is not going to work, and neither is trying to introduce yet another fucking Batman. His ego is getting in the way of the one successful play they probably have: a proper world's finest team-up between Corenswet's Superman and Pattinson's Batman. The thing they should have done more than a decade ago.

But he's got to have his fucking wife and brother in everything, and be the king of the hill with every character, so we get an ongoing mess that nobody is going to get behind. Not least because this Superman appears to be desperately trying to shoe-horn in even more DC superheroes - Black Adam style, - which will turn people off en masse. Nobody gives a fuck about superheroes beyond the big four or five now.
That's why I like talking with you, we might not agree on everything, but we still have common sense as opposed to some chill.

The Brave and the Bold coming along The Batman II is a mistake, and I'm sure Gunn is salty about that. As you said his ego is over 9000 at this point. Let's see how this plays out.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I really hate the underpants on the outside look. It just looks so dumb.

Yeah, but Superman is kinda dumb. He was originally styled after a circus strongman, but as the years of gone by the underpant look has come to represent something about the character, in that it's fine for him to look a little goofy, because he becomes less threatening to ordinary humans. I love that.

Bruce is the one who has to look super cool and dangerous because he's just a human. Clark does the exact opposite because he's a god.

DC animated universe showed us how to do it. Have series for the big ones, like Superman and Batman, then make them meet each other, then Justice league, then Justice league unlimited. A decade of greatness. How they refused to do just that, and let Superman have 3 films alone like Iron man got is baffling to me.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
How they refused to do just that, and let Superman have 3 films alone like Iron man got is baffling to me.

Man Of Steel underperformed, so they panicked, brought Batman in to cause the Marvel dollar, and that stunk the joint up, so they tried something different again. Which also failed. Cock up from day one.

And the STILL won’t do a complete reboot.

Last edited:
Top Bottom