• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First picture of superman…

Hrk69

Gold Member
Bored Meh GIF

FunkMiller

Gold Member
People will bitch and complain about this:

But when this film makes over a billion dollars because kids and their families flocked to see it, it’ll be extremely clear that having Superman be this warm, friendly and caring towards children is absolutely the right thing to do.

SJRB

Gold Member

But when this film makes over a billion dollars because kids and their families flocked to see it, it’ll be extremely clear that having Superman be this warm, friendly and caring towards children is absolutely the right thing to do.

Bro literally nobody is going to bitch about this, this is awesome and exactly what everyone wants to see in a Superman movie.

A kind, friendly, compassionate guy.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
I like Gunn. Maybe he can make the DC universe like able instead of some unlikeable depressing chip-on-the-shoulder slow motion shit show.

I hope Gunn makes a more comic accurate take. His Suicide Squad and Peacemaker weren't exactly comic accurate, with SS being pretty grimdark schlock like Snyder's stuff. I just hope that's because that was what the execs still wanted, and that included Geoff Johns - who was responsible to the absolutely worst dark and stupid take on many characters on television from about 2012 to whenever The Flash and that whole universe finally concluded.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Yeah, but Superman is kinda dumb. He was originally styled after a circus strongman, but as the years of gone by the underpant look has come to represent something about the character, in that it's fine for him to look a little goofy, because he becomes less threatening to ordinary humans. I love that.

I'm not a huge DC fan. Is that lore? Superman needs to make himself look like a goofy twat to make people feel at ease? That's some dumb lore.

I always thought it was just a design that was popular in mid 20th century and they just stuck with it.

Bruce is the one who has to look super cool and dangerous because he's just a human. Clark does the exact opposite because he's a god.

But

adam-west-1-2000-e41fd8c3a2a94f6bafc6e4eb1ae794c2.jpg

I hope Gunn makes a more comic accurate take. His Suicide Squad and Peacemaker weren't exactly comic accurate, with SS being pretty grimdark schlock like Snyder's stuff. I just hope that's because that was what the execs still wanted, and that included Geoff Johns - who was responsible to the absolutely worst dark and stupid take on many characters on television from about 2012 to whenever The Flash and that whole universe finally concluded.
Eh, they were attacked by a giant starfish. It wasn’t that dark.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended

Did we watch the same Suicide Squad movie? It was pretty silly and whacky. You may have Gunn's movie mixed up with the first one.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
Did we watch the same Suicide Squad movie? It was pretty silly and whacky. You may have Gunn's movie mixed up with the first one.

Sure, the tone was light but a lot killing and people getting blown up or torn apart. That's not really the tone of the comics IMO. Not that an adaptation has to be exact, but I'd really like it if it came closer.

Doom85

Eh, they were attacked by a giant starfish. It wasn’t that dark.

I mean, civilians were being tested on and getting their faces destroyed in a way that would fit in an Alien movie (and the dialogue makes it clear even children were not spared from this), it tore a dude’s limbs off, multiple people’s faces were blown off visibly, one guy’s exposed brain get partially eaten by a bird, a poor dude got to wake up in the process of being hit in the guy with an axe multiple times, birds were burned alive, a dude is flat out torn in half by King Shark, and Weasel is allegedly guilty of killing 27 children.

Like, I’m not saying there weren’t plenty of idealistic moments and the ending is a bit more sweet in terms of its bittersweet ending, but to claim the movie doesn’t qualify as dark because the antagonist is a starfish kaiju doesn’t make sense. “Hey guys, Halloween movies aren’t really dark, sure there’s a massive body count and even most of the survivors now deal with serious psychological scars, but the antagonist is wearing a painted William Shatner mask, so it’s not dark automatically!”

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Looking at the clothes on the extras, it looks like this might be set in the 70s/early 80s to me, which might well explain the retro look to the suit.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I mean, civilians were being tested on and getting their faces destroyed in a way that would fit in an Alien movie (and the dialogue makes it clear even children were not spared from this), it tore a dude’s limbs off, multiple people’s faces were blown off visibly, one guy’s exposed brain get partially eaten by a bird, a poor dude got to wake up in the process of being hit in the guy with an axe multiple times, birds were burned alive, a dude is flat out torn in half by King Shark, and Weasel is allegedly guilty of killing 27 children.

Like, I’m not saying there weren’t plenty of idealistic moments and the ending is a bit more sweet in terms of its bittersweet ending, but to claim the movie doesn’t qualify as dark because the antagonist is a starfish kaiju doesn’t make sense. “Hey guys, Halloween movies aren’t really dark, sure there’s a massive body count and even most of the survivors now deal with serious psychological scars, but the antagonist is wearing a painted William Shatner mask, so it’s not dark automatically!”

It doesn't qualify as 'dark' because it's goofy as fuck, which is what it was designed to be. Gore doesn't automatically make something 'dark'.

A really 'dark' movie would be something like Beasts of No Nation, Come and See, or Men Behind the Sun. Those are dark movies.

Suicide Squad is a goofy action comedy with some gore added in for shock value.

Doom85

It doesn't qualify as 'dark' because it's goofy as fuck, which is what it was designed to be. Gore doesn't automatically make something 'dark'.

A really 'dark' movie would be something like Beasts of No Nation, Come and See, or Men Behind the Sun. Those are dark movies.

Suicide Squad is a goofy action comedy with some gore added in for shock value.

If you have narrow definitions of “dark”, sure. And there was clearly more dark elements than just the gore. Amanda Waller essentially threatening to have a minor (Bloodsport’s daughter) killed just to get her way. Bloodsport as a child being locked in a barrel with rats by his father. All the countless victims of the Starro experiments including children. The US government’s involvement with all of these horrific experiments never getting exposed.

All of the above is obviously dark. Claiming otherwise is just being the annoying guy going, “uh, acthually guys, Attack on Titan isn‘t dark, because it’s not super duper dark like Berserk.” Like, come on, don’t be that guy.

Also, why does being a comedy disqualify it? Have you never heard of dark comedies?

Probably a 0% chance this movie makes over 700M let alone 1B. I’d eat my shoe if this makes a billion

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Probably a 0% chance this movie makes over 700M let alone 1B. I’d eat my shoe if this makes a billion

Leaning well into the family market will see it do very well. Better than any other Superman movie since Superman 3.

I'm not a huge DC fan. Is that lore? Superman needs to make himself look like a goofy twat to make people feel at ease? That's some dumb lore.

I always thought it was just a design that was popular in mid 20th century and they just stuck with it.

But

adam-west-1-2000-e41fd8c3a2a94f6bafc6e4eb1ae794c2.jpg

That’s not the way people see Batman these days.

And yes, Superman leaning into the friendly, warm and approachable hero is very much the way he is in the comics (there are times he gets angry of course) and it’s about time we get that on the movie screen again. Just because that doesn’t appeal to you, doesn’t mean its the wrong way for Gunn to go.

IDKFA

If you have narrow definitions of “dark”, sure. And there was clearly more dark elements than just the gore. Amanda Waller essentially threatening to have a minor (Bloodsport’s daughter) killed just to get her way. Bloodsport as a child being locked in a barrel with rats by his father. All the countless victims of the Starro experiments including children. The US government’s involvement with all of these horrific experiments never getting exposed.

All of the above is obviously dark. Claiming otherwise is just being the annoying guy going, “uh, acthually guys, Attack on Titan isn‘t dark, because it’s not super duper dark like Berserk.” Like, come on, don’t be that guy.

Also, why does being a comedy disqualify it? Have you never heard of dark comedies?

The Suicide Squad is a superhero action comedy. It isn't unremittingly dark and gritty. It injects humor and a lighter tone alongside the violence and adult themes, but those violent themes doesn't make it a dark movie

A dark move is one that has a dark or depressing subject matter, the overall tone may be one of despair or disillusionment and these films rarely have a happy or resolved ending.

Some more examples could include No Country for Old Men, Requiem for a Dream and The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas.
I'm not sure if you're familiar with the above films, or the previous ones I mentioned, but they all share a common theme and tone that make them dark movies. The Suicide Squad isn't anything like the movies I've mentioned.

IDKFA

Leaning well into the family market will see it do very well. Better than any other Superman movie since Superman 3.

That’s not the way people see Batman these days.

And yes, Superman leaning into the friendly, warm and approachable hero is very much the way he is in the comics (there are times he gets angry of course) and it’s about time we get that on the movie screen again. Just because that doesn’t appeal to you, doesn’t mean its the wrong way for Gunn to go.

I think you've misunderstood me.

I just don't like the look of the underpants on the outside. That's it. That's my only gripe. I think it looks ridiculous.

However, I agree that Superman should be friendly, warm and approachable. That goes for almost all superheroes. They were designed for children and should be family friendly.

I posted Adam West Batman, and although I hate the suit, this is the only tone Batman should be. Batman shouldn't be killing people or beating people until they have brain damage. He should be a friendly, light-hearted character that children and families and children of all ages can enjoy.

Doom85

The Suicide Squad is a superhero action comedy. It isn't unremittingly dark and gritty. It injects humor and a lighter tone alongside the violence and adult themes, but those violent themes doesn't make it a dark movie

A dark move is one that has a dark or depressing subject matter, the overall tone may be one of despair or disillusionment and these films rarely have a happy or resolved ending.

Some more examples could include No Country for Old Men, Requiem for a Dream and The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas.
I'm not sure if you're familiar with the above films, or the previous ones I mentioned, but they all share a common theme and tone that make them dark movies. The Suicide Squad isn't anything like the movies I've mentioned.

Again, dark comedy. This is a thing that exists.

The Suicide Squad ends on a bittersweet note. Yes, more sweet than bitter, but:

Polka Dot Man is dead, having only gotten to experience a brief moment of relief from the psychological damage his mother inflicted upon him his whole life.
Rick Flagg is dead, killed for simply trying to expose corrupt governments, including his own, for being involved in essentially the murder of innocent including children.
Said corruption will go unexposed so the remaining Squad members can go free.
While Corto Maltese is freed from their corrupt government, it came at the loss of the thousands that died while under Starro’s control (as the Thinker confirmed the victim dies as soon as their body is controlled by Starro).

Ain’t no way you can have all of the above and still call it a “and they all lived happily ever after”.

And No Country for Old Men is in my top 10 movies period. But there can be varying levels of dark, and different approaches to it.

I think you've misunderstood me.

I just don't like the look of the underpants on the outside. That's it. That's my only gripe. I think it looks ridiculous.

However, I agree that Superman should be friendly, warm and approachable. That goes for almost all superheroes. They were designed for children and should be family friendly.

I posted Adam West Batman, and although I hate the suit, this is the only tone Batman should be. Batman shouldn't be killing people or beating people until they have brain damage. He should be a friendly, light-hearted character that children and families and children of all ages can enjoy.

Dallas Cowboys Football GIF by ScooterMagruder

And now I know I wasted my time with writing the above as you have not just a narrow definition of dark, but the superhero genre in general, so this conversation will go nowhere.

Batman should only be Adam West-style in tone? Bruh, Batman has had dark stories since the 70’s, and actually even the original Golden Age stories in the 30’s were quite dark at times. Unless you’re 70+ years old, no one should still have the “Batman, and superheroes in general, shouldn’t tell dark stories” mindset. It’s just as outdated as something like the “animation should only be family friendly” mindset.

IDKFA

Again, dark comedy. This is a thing that exists.

The Suicide Squad ends on a bittersweet note. Yes, more sweet than bitter, but:

Polka Dot Man is dead, having only gotten to experience a brief moment of relief from the psychological damage his mother inflicted upon him his whole life.
Rick Flagg is dead, killed for simply trying to expose corrupt governments, including his own, for being involved in essentially the murder of innocent including children.
Said corruption will go unexposed so the remaining Squad members can go free.
While Corto Maltese is freed from their corrupt government, it came at the loss of the thousands that died while under Starro’s control (as the Thinker confirmed the victim dies as soon as their body is controlled by Starro).

Ain’t no way you can have all of the above and still call it a “and they all lived happily ever after”.

And No Country for Old Men is in my top 10 movies period. But there can be varying levels of dark, and different approaches to it.

You can't tell me somebody could watch No Country for Old Men, then The Suicide Squad and go:

"Wow, both of those were dark movies. I need a cup of tea after watching both of those".

No. The Suicide Squad wouldn't even be on a list of dark movies.

I rest my case

Dallas Cowboys Football GIF by ScooterMagruder

And now I know I wasted my time with writing the above as you have not just a narrow definition of dark, but the superhero genre in general, so this conversation will go nowhere.

Batman should only be Adam West-style in tone? Bruh, Batman has had dark stories since the 70’s, and actually even the original Golden Age stories in the 30’s were quite dark at times. Unless you’re 70+ years old, no one should still have the “Batman, and superheroes in general, shouldn’t tell dark stories” mindset. It’s just as outdated as something like the “animation should only be family friendly” mindset.

Batman being dark is cringe. He was designed to sell comics to kids. Adam West Batman is the perfect tone for a billionaire who dresses like a Bat to fight crime. It's supposed to be light-hearted and whimsical.

It's not an outdated concept to want to have superheroes that are family friendly. Why should Batman be exclusively for adults?

Batman and Robin (1997) gets a lot of flack, and rightly so as the movie was shit, but it got the tone of Batman perfectly.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Batman being dark is cringe. He was designed to sell comics to kids. Adam West Batman is the perfect tone for a billionaire who dresses like a Bat to fight crime. It's supposed to be light-hearted and whimsical.

It's not an outdated concept to want to have superheroes that are family friendly. Why should Batman be exclusively for adults?

Batman and Robin (1997) gets a lot of flack, and rightly so as the movie was shit, but it got the tone of Batman perfectly.

Er… Batman was extremely dark when he was introduced in 1939 - to appeal to kids. He became a lighter character as time went on, with the TV series based on that.

But he’s been dark far, far more than light over the course of 80 plus years. And he’s always at his most popular when dark, across the whole audience spectrum.

7lFMXg1.jpeg

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
You can't tell me somebody could watch No Country for Old Men, then The Suicide Squad and go:

"Wow, both of those were dark movies. I need a cup of tea after watching both of those".

I rest my case

Hard disagree here. Batman is almost the polar opposite of Superman. His villains are not only insane, they're murderous psychopaths! Professor Pyg, Hugo Strange, Firefly, Killer Croc, Hush, Jean Paul Valley, etc are NOT kid friendly and shouldn't be! Besides, that whole light-hearted Batman was only a thing for 20 years in the 50s, 60s and 70s ... He went BACK to being the DARK Knight in the early to mid 70s after the that goofy kid friendly era brought on by MacCarthyism. He's been back to being Dark ever since. As he should be.

ETA: oh, and that's not even counting how his parents died.

Last edited:

wipeout364

I am staying optimistic. I generally have liked Gunn’s take on the superhero genre. I liked GOG, his suicide squad and even peacemaker was entertaining for what it was.

I actually am really happy to see all these cameos in the movie. I think that is a much better way to build a universe. Going all out with a Blue beetle or Black Adam feature movie always seemed an insane approach for B tier characters. I guess the results showed that the general population agrees.

I don’t think Pattinson’s Batman should
Be incorporated into this. That Batman is too grounded and realistic and has a weird vibe to it. Don’t get me wrong I loved that movie but that Batman is not someone who deals with interplanetary threats. He lives in our world not a world with super heroes.

Doom85

I don’t think Pattinson’s Batman should
Be incorporated into this. That Batman is too grounded and realistic and has a weird vibe to it. Don’t get me wrong I loved that movie but that Batman is not someone who deals with interplanetary threats. He lives in our world not a world with super heroes.

It won’t be. When James Gunn unveiled the first chapter of the new DC movie verse, he made it clear that any installments or series outside of the movie verse, such as Matt Reeves’ Batman (the one with Pattinson), Todd Phillips’ Joker, or Teen Titans Go, will be clearly labeled as DC Elseworlds moving forward.

Doom85

I rest my case

-I’m sorry, do you think for example “spicy” can only qualify to the highest extreme?

So hey, when Burger King brings back the Ghost Pepper Whopper, just feed it to your four year old if they request it! What’s the risk, after all if you only the high extremes count and nothing else, say something being a lower level of “dark”, then clearly the Ghost Pepper Whopper can’t qualify as spicy in any capacity! I mean, it’s not like spices, hot sauces, etc. are often given spice ratings or something……

(note: Doom85 is not responsible for those ignorant to sarcasm and feed their four year olds a Ghost Pepper Whopper despite the cashier telling you to stop being a damn fool. Please adult responsibly.)

-decades of comics, countless movies and animated series and films that have been very well received by most people beg to differ. I’m not even saying there’s zero room for Silver Age-style Batman, as the Batman: Brave and the Bold cartoon had a more light-hearted feel (though definitely some darker moments as well) and was well done. But the darker Batman will always be the more popular interpretation these days

But wait, wait, wait! You just said “Batman being dark is cringe”! So a film doesn’t need to be a highly extreme level of dark to qualify as “dark” by your own admission!

joel mchale community GIF
Got You Prank GIF by CBS

IDKFA

Er… Batman was extremely dark when he was introduced in 1939 - to appeal to kids. He became a lighter character as time went on, with the TV series based on that.

But he’s been dark far, far more than light over the course of 80 plus years. And he’s always at his most popular when dark, across the whole audience spectrum.

7lFMXg1.jpeg

Hard disagree here. Batman is almost the polar opposite of Superman. His villains are not only insane, they're murderous psychopaths! Professor Pyg, Hugo Strange, Firefly, Killer Croc, Hush, Jean Paul Valley, etc are NOT kid friendly and shouldn't be! Besides, that whole light-hearted Batman was only a thing for 20 years in the 50s, 60s and 70s ... He went BACK to being the DARK Knight in the early to mid 70s after the that goofy kid friendly era brought on by MacCarthyism. He's been back to being Dark ever since. As he should be.

ETA: oh, and that's not even counting how his parents died.

We'll have to agree to disagree.

I think Batman should be camp and goofy. That's what will bring in the families.

Same with Superman, Aquaman, Wonder Woman etc. In fact all superheroes.

Imagine a new Batman movie, but it's so camp it makes the Adam West Batman look dark and gritty by comparison. Do you know how much money a film like that would make? Think about it, lads. You know I'm right.

IDKFA

But wait, wait, wait! You just said “Batman being dark is cringe”! So a film doesn’t need to be a highly extreme level of dark to qualify as “dark” by your own admission!

joel mchale community GIF
Got You Prank GIF by CBS

However, we were talking about James Gunn version of The Suicide Squad. Not Batman.

*Mic drop*

Doom85

However, we were talking about James Gunn version of The Suicide Squad. Not Batman.

*Mic drop*

(grabs mic before it hits the ground)

No bullshit now. Please point to the Batman movie that is as dark as No Country for Old Men or Requiem for a Dream. That’s right, there isn’t one, which means you have admitted there are varying levels of dark storytelling which is now on record. No further questions, Your Honor.

Season 5 Episode 20 GIF by The Simpsons
Bryan Cranston Mic Drop GIF

March Climber

Gold Member

I think Batman should be camp and goofy. That's what will bring in the families.

Imagine a new Batman movie, but it's so camp it makes the Adam West Batman look dark and gritty by comparison. Do you know how much money a film like that would make? Think about it, lads. You know I'm right.
Lego Batman The Movie made 312 million worldwide.

The Batman made 771 million worldwide.

The Dark Knight made 1B worldwide.

If you want a slightly more light hearted Batman, then you should hope and pray that this Gunn DC plan succeeds, so that we can see this guy:

terry-mcginnis.gif

Because I want to finally see him on the big screen.

FunkMiller

Gold Member

Same with Superman, Aquaman, Wonder Woman etc. In fact all superheroes.

You talk like The Dark Knight wasn't one of the biggest box office hits in history. Sorry, but you're absolutely wrong on what kind of Batman the audience likes. Batman And Robin was the exact kind of thing you're on about - and it tanked completely.

I don't think you could be more wrong on this.

IDKFA

(grabs mic before it hits the ground)

No bullshit now. Please point to the Batman movie that is as dark as No Country for Old Men or Requiem for a Dream. That’s right, there isn’t one, which means you have admitted there are varying levels of dark storytelling which is now on record. No further questions, Your Honor.

Season 5 Episode 20 GIF by The Simpsons
Bryan Cranston Mic Drop GIF

Again, we're not talking about Batman. We're talking about James Gunn Suicide Squad, which isn't a dark movie.

Case closed. Jury finds in favour of IDKFA

Doom85

Again, we're not talking about Batman. We're talking about James Gunn Suicide Squad, which isn't a dark movie.

Case closed. Jury finds in favour of IDKFA

Judge overruled, jury is reminded of IDKFA’s prior insistence that only high extremes count as dark, which he has now contradicted. Also claims no one is talking about Batman….while repeatedly talking about Batman. The judge has ruled that IDKFA has made numerous contradictions to past testimony thus violating his swear to tell the truth and only the truth and thus has been found guilty of an L take.

We Did It Reaction GIF by CBS

Yeah I don’t know about that. The MCU has been flopping like a fish (generally speaking) since 2022 and that’s an actual liked brand that’s firmly in the family market.

It beating man of steel unadjusted would be shocking. There’s basically zero chance it touches man of steel adjusted ~800M. Keep in mind it also won’t have MoS hyper aggressive marketing campaign

7lFMXg1.jpeg
Wrong. Comic historian time, he was no more “for kids” than James Bond or Sherlock Holmes. He was merely an all ages literary character. All if not most of those golden age guys were intended as that.

However, VERY quickly after being introduced was he starting to get repurposed to a younger audience. Probably most precisely with the introduction of Robin. They started to put in really cringe ads like “hey kids! Obey authorities just like your good pal Robin does! Be a good kid like Robin!” In the comics. I shit you not.

Before then though it wasn’t necessarily just for kids. And of course since then he’s bobbed and weaved from adult audience to younger audience through his 85 years

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Yeah I don’t know about that. The MCU has been flopping like a fish (generally speaking) since 2022 and that’s an actual liked brand that’s firmly in the family market.

It beating man of steel unadjusted would be shocking. There’s basically zero chance it touches man of steel adjusted ~800M. Keep in mind it also won’t have MoS hyper aggressive marketing campaign

How do you know it won't have an aggressive marketing campaign? It's the official launch of their whole movie universe... So YES they will market it heavily... In JULY no less! It's up against some competition before and after it releases but it's not like it's not possible to get to 1billion even with competition.

How do you know it won't have an aggressive marketing campaign? It's the official launch of their whole movie universe... So YES they will market it heavily... In JULY no less! It's up against some competition before and after it releases but it's not like it's not possible to get to 1billion even with competition.
Um probably because MoS marketing budget was absolutely obscene and WBD is broke and this production is already laughably cheaper than MoS if you look at the cast and production value we’ve seen so far.

Also it’s not coming off the goddamn Dark Knight trilogy with Nolan’s name attached to every goddamn poster and tv spot. You will not see it get the push MoS did.

They had so many partnerships and promotions it makes my head spin to this day. uhaul. Carls Jr. US Marines. Gillette shaving. IHOP. Walmart. Off the top of my head. WB spared no expense pushing this film when it came out but it cost them cause the BO returns, while respectable, ended up leaving them disappointed.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Have to say, I like the concept of a Maxwell Lord run corporate hero squad as an allegory for the soulless corporatism of Disney, versus the genuine heroism of Superman.

If that what Gunn is going for then that sounds pretty good to me.

Top Bottom