• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kawl_USC

How much do you weigh? Those weights are pretty high for a program like SS (impressive stuff, btw). If you have a history of training you might be better served by switching to an intermediate program like 5/3/1, Texas Method etc sooner rather than later. Especially when working long hours and without a short commute something like Texas Method may be very suitable, as each day is shorter and more focussed, with a mid-week recovery day that makes training feel like a vacation. Don't take this as a confident diagnosis, but foot pain upon waking like you described is commonly a cumulative thing from overuse/excessive volume. It's a good idea to do mobility work/foam rolling if you don't already.

Thanks a lot for the input.

I weigh right around 200-205. I've been in the gym a lot the past couple of years at college but had never really gotten into a serious routine so I figured that I would start with SS, make sure I had actually good form, and see how long I could see strength gains on that program.

Depending on how the next work out goes for squats and if I end up failing on any other lifts in the next week or two I might consider going on to 5/3/1 or something like that. But I was hoping to keep on SS for another month or so at least.

Also, I've been working in chin ups for a few weeks now and while I have seen an increase of 1 or 2 for the number I can do for the first set, my numbers still routinely drop from 7/8 on the first set to like 5 and then 3 for the last two. Should I be resting more between sets so that I can get the same number all three sets like all the other lifts? Also, I'm still dead lifting pretty much every day, could that be having a negative effect on my chin up numbers?

I did 2 months of a cut then 2 months of gainz. Funny thing is I didn't think my 2 months of cutting did anything, but then I looked back at an old picture and I got fatter so yeah, back to the opposite grind!

Yeah mang. I've felt pretty fat ever since I got back from my Honeymoon 3 weeks ago. It's really not that hard if you stick to eggs, whey, meat, fish and vegetables.

well this is my 2nd month of cut. I guess I'll try bulking up for the next 2 months

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
As someone who knows little to nothing on nutrition and fitness, this OP was a blessing. Knowing where to begin from scratch is something that's eluded me for some time. I have the will, want, and work ethic to dive into the world of health and fitness, and being in he current state I am, I could use it. Just wanted to say this was awesome, and thank you for this!

Welcome and keep us updated on what you're up to!

Frostburn

I pull a calf muscle yesterday. At least, it happened near the end of my workout. I had to call it a night earlier than I expected, but shit happens.

Since I'm hobbling a bit, this puts me at a slight disadvantage to my mobility for this week.

With my luck, I probably get ambushed by ninjas or zombies on my way to work now.

Sucks.

Hope you are able to recover swiftly, you know what to do though.

As far as getting ambushed I'm pretty sure you'll still be able to kick any ninja or zombie butt that comes your way haha.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Heads up: Pretty good deal on Elite Dymatize protein powders at Vitacost.

Picked up the Cafe Mocha and Rich Chocolate flavors (5 lbs each) for $70, with free shipping and no tax.

The 15% discount is already on.

"Add to Set & Save" for an additional 10% (which you can cancel later).

Use "shopfun" at checkout for another 10% off.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Heads up: Pretty good deal on Elite Dymatize protein powders at Vitacost.

Picked up the Cafe Mocha and Rich Chocolate flavors (5 lbs each) for $70, with free shipping and no tax.

The 15% discount is already on.

"Add to Set & Save" for an additional 10% (which you can cancel later).

Use "shopfun" at checkout for another 10% off.

Thanks for this, might hit it tomorrow...

Kawl_USC

You're deadlift EVERY DAY and doing startging strength?!? Surprised you haven't fried your CNS... yet. You won't be able to keep that up though, just follow the program as is.

By every day, I meant every gym day, so every MWF. I tried power cleans but wasn't feeling confident in my form and execution and don't have access to a trainer so decided I would just stick to deads at least till recovery becomes a problem. I would start to work in the recommended back extensions every other work out instead of dea liftbut haven't been able to find a good roman chair at my gym. The only one they have is at a incline up and doesn't seem to be that great.

andycapps

Oh I forgot to post some stats:
I'm 20 years old, I'm weighing 73kg (lost a lot since I started back in November last year. Around 20kg now). Fat percentage is 13.6%. (9.9kg fat ; 63.1kg fat free) Goal is to get rid of the belly and to gain muscle.

Everyone has to start somewhere, get on one of the beginner routines in the OP and fix your diet if it needs fixing. You're at least at 25% BF, probably around 30% based on that picture.

Thinking I'm going to get off SS soon and onto something else. Doing deadlifts on same day as squats is really hard at this point and I feel like both lifts are being negatively impacted by it.

Matugi

So glad I decided to pop in and do a test update on MyFitnessPal. Made me realize I was having too many carbs and not enough protein.

Mr.City

Thanks a lot for the input.

I weigh right around 200-205. I've been in the gym a lot the past couple of years at college but had never really gotten into a serious routine so I figured that I would start with SS, make sure I had actually good form, and see how long I could see strength gains on that program.

Depending on how the next work out goes for squats and if I end up failing on any other lifts in the next week or two I might consider going on to 5/3/1 or something like that. But I was hoping to keep on SS for another month or so at least.

Also, I've been working in chin ups for a few weeks now and while I have seen an increase of 1 or 2 for the number I can do for the first set, my numbers still routinely drop from 7/8 on the first set to like 5 and then 3 for the last two. Should I be resting more between sets so that I can get the same number all three sets like all the other lifts? Also, I'm still dead lifting pretty much every day, could that be having a negative effect on my chin up numbers?

There's no real time table for SS. You stay on the program as long as you can recover from workout to workout.

Holy crap. I hadn't realized you guys got moved to the off topic community forum (I never come in here). I was wondering what the hell happened!

Anyways, I'm hoping to get over my body dysmorphia and self esteem regarding my body image so here goes.

ic1ZmYZNpq8fS.jpg

Most of you probably don't care but I also tested my 1RM after 6 months on 5/3/1. I weigh 205 lbs as of this morning...

Squat - 305 lbs
Bench Press - 260 lbs
Deadlift - 345 (I think this could be more but I've made huge gains in this recently and I'm worried about progressing too fast)
OHP - 170 lbs

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I couldn't stop myself last night. We watched Cloud Atlas which is almost 3 hours long and I kept going back for quest bars. I like to eat during movies. When it was all said and done I had 8 of them! Damnit! I need more willpower. All I ate yesterday was 1.5 pork chops, one scoop of whey, two bowls of peanuts and raisins, and the 8 quest bars. Not too bad for one day but I'm feeling major guilt for all the quest consumption!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I couldn't stop myself last night. We watched Cloud Atlas which is almost 3 hours long and I kept going back for quest bars. I like to eat during movies. When it was all said and done I had 8 of them! Damnit! I need more willpower. All I ate yesterday was 1.5 pork chops, one scoop of whey, two bowls of peanuts and raisins, and the 8 quest bars. Not too bad for one day but I'm feeling major guilt for all the quest consumption!

...Eight?

That's like...$20+!

SeanR1221

Time for a new toilet.

Damn! Did you at least microwave the bars? Cooke dough microwaved is heaven.

Also, this is why I love lifting in the morning--everything to myself!

Petrie

Banned
Well, with the GNC coupon combo, that would be about $10.

I love these coupons. Makes my life happy.

Though I got a slightly better price using Discover cashback to buy 6 boxes online with the buy 2 get 1 free, but it was only a few cents each cheaper.

Matugi

Alright guys, so I'm seriously considering going on an ECA stack to finish off my cut. How much should I take of each, how expensive is Bronkaid, how long does one box last, and how sketchy is is actually buying the stuff (Bronkaid)?

That would be a solid refeed day

Alright guys, so I'm seriously considering going on an ECA stack to finish off my cut. How much should I take of each, how expensive is Bronkaid, how long does one box last, and how sketchy is is actually buying the stuff (Bronkaid)?

Bronkaid is like $12

Start off with 1/2 pill dosage once per day. Gradually increase it to your tolerance.

abuC

doritos and dew

I'm leaning towards Doritos, I don't do soda though.

Still got enough protein, that's a win.

blackflag

Get someone to hook you up with a bidet so you don't spend another $20+ on toilet paper.

It's not sketchy at all they are otc drugs they just make sure you don't buy too much which you won't you just buy a box at a time.

Here is the basic protocol, make sure you follow the ramp up period. Some people are really sensitive to it, i can't feel it at all. FYI I prefer Primatine to Bronkaid. Primatine uses HCL which has a bit higher purity of ephedrine.

www.hotnfit.com/fat-loss/ecstack

Everyone has to start somewhere, get on one of the beginner routines in the OP and fix your diet if it needs fixing. You're at least at 25% BF, probably around 30% based on that picture.

Thinking I'm going to get off SS soon and onto something else. Doing deadlifts on same day as squats is really hard at this point and I feel like both lifts are being negatively impacted by it.
I think it should be mentioned that I already working out for more than 6 months. I aint starting yet. I already started back in November last year.

Szu

Holy crap. I hadn't realized you guys got moved to the off topic community forum (I never come in here). I was wondering what the hell happened!

Anyways, I'm hoping to get over my body dysmorphia and self esteem regarding my body image so here goes.

http://i.minus.com/ic1ZmYZNpq8fS.jpg

Most of you probably don't care but I also tested my 1RM after 6 months on 5/3/1. I weigh 205 lbs as of this morning...

Squat - 305 lbs
Bench Press - 260 lbs
Deadlift - 345 (I think this could be more but I've made huge gains in this recently and I'm worried about progressing too fast)
OHP - 170 lbs

Welcome back!!!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Squat - 305 lbs
Bench Press - 260 lbs
OHP - 170 lbs

Jesus, those are some impressive numbers considering you don't look "huge" at all. If you don't mind my asking, what were your numbers like when you first started?

Imm0rt4l

It's not sketchy at all they are otc drugs they just make sure you don't buy too much which you won't you just buy a box at a time.

Here is the basic protocol, make sure you follow the ramp up period. Some people are really sensitive to it, i can't feel it at all. FYI I prefer Primatine to Bronkaid. Primatine uses HCL which has a bit higher purity of ephedrine.

www.hotnfit.com/fat-loss/ecstack

Me neither, which is why I don't bother with it or any other stimulants anymore. My tolerance is stupid. I don't even think it increases your metabolism by much, something like 5% iirc, not really worth it for me.

duxstar

So no offense to anyone here or anything, but most of the original OP is all about getting bigger/stronger, my problem isn't that I hate the idea, its that I'm fat, at a high body fat % and all of the routines seem to be about bulking up and getting stronger.

I really just want to get rid of the fat/man boobs i've had since i was 12, and finally be able to take my shirt off without feeling self-conscious about it, but every routine is about gaining strength + tons of protein which is what will make me bulk up (I gain muscle relatively ok, but have a HORRIBLE time losing fat).

I know diet is a big key, but would doing these programs not be counter-productive to my goals? Or do they work with cardio thrown in and a super heavy protein focused diet at around 2000 calories?

Matugi

Felt particularly pumped at the gym today. Really made some big progress on my arms recently. Feels good, man.

Thanks for the info, blackflag. I'll definitely look into it. Do you have to be 18 or older to buy it?

Chittagong

Gold Member
So no offense to anyone here or anything, but most of the original OP is all about getting bigger/stronger, my problem isn't that I hate the idea, its that I'm fat, at a high body fat % and all of the routines seem to be about bulking up and getting stronger.

I really just want to get rid of the fat/man boobs i've had since i was 12, and finally be able to take my shirt off without feeling self-conscious about it, but every routine is about gaining strength + tons of protein which is what will make me bulk up (I gain muscle relatively ok, but have a HORRIBLE time losing fat).

I know diet is a big key, but would doing these programs not be counter-productive to my goals? Or do they work with cardio thrown in and a super heavy protein focused diet at around 2000 calories?

Weight doesn't matter, it's your body fat %. Man boobs disappear once you drop fat. And you should grow or at least retain muscle when dropping fat.

You certainly should adopt a lifting program, preferably SS. I have lost 23kg in last 6 months and retained pretty much all my muscle, in fact grown my strength. Strength training has multiple benefits

- it increases you lean mass, which makes you look better at any weight than less lean mass
- it keeps your metabolism going with a very beneficial hormone response
- it reshapes your body so the balance shifts from your belly to shoulders (see my before/afters earlier in this thread)
- it's addictive like gaming, unlocking achievements

The routine that works for me below - everyone is different so try and find what works for yourself. I have set myself rules I am religious about, they go above everything else:

A. 2000 kcal / day
B. 200g protein / day
C. 24h fast twice a week (eg Mon 8PM to Tue 8PM), fast ending diner max 800kcal
D. Lifting 4 days a week. 3 x SS, 1 x Accessory
E. Spinning 4 days a week
F. Alcohol on max 2 nights a week, only one of them can have beer

This program has bought me from 118kg to 95kg. I am now in the final stretch of my fat loss, so I have adopted the Carb Nite routine. All previous rules apply, but two new rules

G. Max 45g carbs each day
H. Carb Nite once a week, 500g carbs and 4000 kcal

This should allow me to strip that last 6% of fat to get ripped while preventing starvation mode. I have never been ripped, and I thought I was always genetically destined to be the chubbier one among friends. This year I decided to stop believing that.

Matugi - fantastic arms. Def pump!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom