• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMG_20130628_063732_zpsfe8717b8.jpg

2 more weeks on this "cut" then vacation to Vegas. Taking 1-2 weeks off from the gym before coming back and hitting it hard.

I need to do more ab workouts.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
2 more weeks on this "cut" then vacation to Vegas. Taking 1-2 weeks off from the gym before coming back and hitting it hard.

Cut harder FE! Cut. HARDER!

The statue continues to take shape my brother!

Fonz72

Well, first chance to see if my new training regimen is going to help with my PT test. I have to take a test and weigh/tape on Sunday morning. I'm only 4 weeks in so I'm not really where I wanted to be for my first test, but I should show improvement at least.

Only thing I'm worried about is Saturday is supposed to be my carb night, but I don't want the bloat before I weigh and run on Sunday. At the same time I am pretty much running on empty so I will need some sort of carbs before I test............I think I may do a small amount rice with chicken and yogurt tonight and Saturday night and then save carb night for Sunday night after I test.

I skipped weight training last night, and will do a light jog (1 mile or so) to keep loose tonight. I am nervous as hell!

Cut harder FE! Cut. HARDER!

The statue continues to take shape my brother!

Thanks dood. I just feel like my progress should be further. I only have me to blame though. Good news is that my strength hasn't really dropped too much at all which was my #1 concern and the reason why I wanted a slow cut in the first place. I have to be pretty close to 12%.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks dood. I just feel like my progress should be further. I only have me to blame though. Good news is that my strength hasn't really dropped too much at all which was my #1 concern and the reason why I wanted a slow cut in the first place. I have to be pretty close to 12%.

I think that thin layer of fat is the only thing sitting between you and the body you want brah. Strip that last layer, the definition cranks up and you start looking like a mountain.

Cagey

Banned
Blah. I pulled something in the area of my right lat when using the plate-loaded shrug maching. Some dumb MFer bumped into me during a rep.

At least that happened after I successfully conducted my deadlifting business for the day.

Fonz72

Blah. I pulled something in the area of my right lat when using the plate-loaded shrug maching. Some dumb MFer bumped into me during a rep.

At least that happened after I successfully conducted my deadlifting business for the day.

That sucks, man! I actually had a kid duck under my bar to get a weight off the rack I was using while I was doing OHP the other day. SMH! Not even an "excuse me" or anything. At least we didn't collide, though.

Most terrible thing about the gym I work out at is: 1 bench press rack, 1 squat rack, and a Smith machine that has lugs on the outside so you can use it to hold the bar for OHP.

Second worse thing: A bunch of Highschool football players come in and bench and curl in that area at the same time I workout.

Cagey

Banned
That sucks, man! I actually had a kid duck under my bar to get a weight off the rack I was using while I was doing OHP the other day. SMH! Not even an "excuse me" or anything. At least we didn't collide, though.

Most terrible thing about the gym I work out at is: 1 bench press rack, 1 squat rack, and a Smith machine that has lugs on the outside so you can use it to hold the bar for OHP.

Second worse thing: A bunch of Highschool football players come in and bench and curl in that area at the same time I workout.

That OHP story is terrible, man. Too many people treat the gym floor like it's a platformer level, where you wait for the rep to go up-or-down and slide in when there's space.

I had someone two days prior slide into the narrow space between the bench and a wall to grab a fucking 10lb plate, and he did this after I had just taken the bar off the rack. Common sense man.

That OHP story is terrible, man. Too many people treat the gym floor like it's a platformer level, where you wait for the rep to go up-or-down and slide in when there's space.

I had someone two days prior slide into the narrow space between the bench and a wall to grab a fucking 10lb plate, and he did this after I had just taken the bar off the rack. Common sense man.

The most annoying thing in the gym that I hate the most is people coming in and taking the weight off the rack or bench while I am in the middle of the exercise. ffs, just wait until I am done then take or ask me for what you need. I'm concentrating on lifting this weight and you are not helping at all.

I think that thin layer of fat is the only thing sitting between you and the body you want brah. Strip that last layer, the definition cranks up and you start looking like a mountain.

hehe lets hope so!

crpav

We talkin calves?

All natural, didn't start hitting them until 3 months ago and I was able to dunk as early as 9th grade long before I started weight lifting.

LOL, thanks a lot. After seeing this picture I just measured mine at work. I am near 16 inches and all natural. In fact I never really lift them. Was a heavier kid growing up and it's the genetics I have. I am strongly certain I could have dunked if I would have taken fitness more serious at a younger age and not being so heavy. I hovered around 220 to 230 in High School and at 5'8". I am now between 175 to 185 but can't jump like I used to due to blown out left knee...twice which needed the ACL replaced and meniscus repaird as well as some bone damage. Never the same. Add on top other major sprained ankles and injuries over the years and at 34 I am getting older all the time.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Only 2.5 quest bars last night! That's a minor success.

Sidenote, my abs are feeling kinda big. When I touch the top ones there's quite a bit of meat there. More than I've ever had for sure. It's pretty cool to actually have some size to your abs. In the past they were flat and now they stick out a little. All I do is heavy squats twice a week and between 50-100 crunches 4 to 5 times a week. I'm not sure what stimulated the growth but I'll take it!

fader

So i am almost done with week one of working out. when will i start feeling good?
people keep telling me "after working out you feel GREAT!"

but I beg to differ, im in pain all over all the time. i am aching like crazy. i can barely bend over or scratch my back. i have to roll carefully out of bed.
WHEN WILL I START FEELING GOOD? I dont get it...

Mark1

I have a few questions regarding noob gains, how big can you get through them? I had some gains for the first few months but not much. I feel I have made lots of mistakes (or been messed up by getting bad programmes) by not knowing enough over what to do and how long. It's annoying, is it possible for me to make up the past couple of months of no gains?

Szu

So i am almost done with week one of working out. when will i start feeling good?

but I beg to differ, im in pain all over all the time. i am aching like crazy. i can barely bend over or scratch my back. i have to roll carefully out of bed.

Believe it or not, that is the "feeling good" part.

Everyone's body handles the stress of working out differently from one and another. I'm pretty sure the pain that you're feeling is actually mostly muscle soreness. Your body is trying to adapt to the elevated levels of activity. Honestly, it might even take more than a week for you to get used to this level of stress, but trust us, your body will adapt.

Once it does, you won't experience quite the same level of soreness as you do now, but you'll kinda wish you still did.

Chittagong

Gold Member

It will take weeks and you probably won't notice actively feeling good. The sign is when you start to home in on exercise sessions, even anticipate them. Your subconcious has recognized that working out releases some potent stuff but kept you out of the loop. Or that's how it happened to me.

fader

It will take weeks and you probably won't notice actively feeling good. The sign is when you start to home in on exercise sessions, even anticipate them. Your subconcious has recognized that working out releases some potent stuff but kept you out of the loop. Or that's how it happened to me.

so is that how people get hooked on working out?"?

SeanR1221

I have a few questions regarding noob gains, how big can you get through them? I had some gains for the first few months but not much. I feel I have made lots of mistakes (or been messed up by getting bad programmes) by not knowing enough over what to do and how long. It's annoying, is it possible for me to make up the past couple of months of no gains?

There's really no answer for how big you can get. Everyone is going to be different. Don't worry about previous poor programming. I did 5 years of shitty programming before I started compound lifting.

sphinx

the piano man
so is that how people get hooked on working out?"?

once your body adapted to it, it feels great while you are doing it, in the workout sessions,

I LOVE the feel of lifting weight, it just gets better over time, pure pleasure, Arny was right about that, I am discovering that just now.

Just some days ago, I was saying how I felt crushed by the weight doing Overhead presses... I can't wait try it again.

Really?
It's that I haven't grown that much.

try not to think about those noob gains, As far as I am concerned, noob gains is the passage from looking untrained and flabby to solid and mildly atheltic, nothing else.

if you pick and choose the 20 best looking guys in your gym at peak hours, all of them, no expections, are way past that point. Once you realize that, you understand that is better to choose wise programing, eat right and concentrate on the long term goals.

SeanR1221

Really?
It's that I haven't grown that much.

Neither did I. And I was weak as shit. I would have stayed in that slump if I didn't come here and post the new routine I was about to try. I think it was 5x a week and like 8-10 isolation exercises each day. God I was stupid.

ZeroRay

Got really hurt on my lower-lower back doing squats, probably from butt winking/inadequate recovery time. Was back to the weight I left off at and it felt pretty easy compared to feeling like I was lifting a boulder the previous session with 10lbs less. Even still, my sacral region is in pain every time I even slightly bend over.

Hopefully it's just pulled sacral tissue and not anything worse.

ILoveBish

Looking great man. You going to evo while you are in Vegas? I've been twice including last year and it's amazing.

The addiction to working out is pretty severe for me after being in it 15 months now. I feel guilty missing gym days but that causes stress when I do so I have to work on that.

It would explain why a lot of us have to force ourselves to take a break/deload week.

I've been bummed not being in the gym this past week. I can't wait to bench today.

Those feels.

Mark1

Thanks guys. :). Getting help with diet, it's really hard to do, any advice using only natural foods, no protein shakes, etc. I weigh 75kg and I'm 6 foot.

Mark1

Damn you must be one skinny dude. Just eat a lot of meat, fish, eggs, vegetables, rice, etc.
I can eat like a tank, but I find if I eat too much I gain a lot of weight. Don't want to start calorie counting because I have an OCD. I'm determined to grow muscle.

Thanks guys. :). Getting help with diet, it's really hard to do, any advice using only natural foods, no protein shakes, etc. I weigh 75kg and I'm 6 foot.

Make large batches of food so that you can use leftovers later. Things like baking chicken don't require very much additional effort to add more pieces of chicken. Flavor aint as good for some things the next day or two, but it's the thing that allows me to find time to actually feed myself real food despite college coursework and a job.

SeanR1221

I can eat like a tank, but I find if I eat too much I gain a lot of weight. Don't want to start calorie counting because I have an OCD. I'm determined to grow muscle.

You're gonna have to eat though, that's the thing. You can't gain muscle without putting on weight.

Mark1

You're gonna have to eat though, that's the thing. You can't gain muscle without putting on weight.
I know eating is mandatory, I eat a lot. But I'm worried about going more than 1000 calories over the required amount

Make large batches of food so that you can use leftovers later. Things like baking chicken don't require very much additional effort to add more pieces of chicken. Flavor aint as good for some things the next day or two, but it's the thing that allows me to find time to actually feed myself real food despite college coursework and a job.
Thanks mate!

blackflag

Bueller? Bueller? Anybody?

I would have liked to seen how you lined up on the bar but that is cut out. I don't see anything wrong though really. You could try to arch your back more but you could be like me where it never looks like it. You aren't curving it when you lift so that's good.

Looks like you are doing pretty good to me.

The solution to the day(s)-old chicken problem is broth. Just chop up the chix, toss it in a bowl of broth and nuke it. Mix in some garlic powder and pepper and junk and it's instant soup, and the funkiness from the aged chicken juice actually helps the flavor IMO.

It's friday and it's off to do deadlift/traps/core, have a great weekend FitGAF!

bro1

Banned
I would have liked to seen how you lined up on the bar but that is cut out. I don't see anything wrong though really. You could try to arch your back more but you could be like me where it never looks like it. You aren't curving it when you lift so that's good.

Looks like you are doing pretty good to me.

Thanks! When I approach the bar, I have the middle of my foot below the bar, grip it, and lean in so my calfs are touching. I pull the bar up and make sure that it never leaves my legs, rubbing the entire time.

I will try and put some more arch into it next time which is next Friday.

Cudder

Going on my second week without being in the gym. I feel skinny, weak and small.

I'm maintaining around 200lbs or so, which is nice. I feel like cutting at the start of spring was the wrong choice, but I lost 15 pounds so it was a nice confidence booster because I now know that I CAN do it. Think I'm just going to maintain for a bit.

Noema

Can you guys give me a form check? Ever since I've gone into a UC Flare, I've been pretty weak due to diet and complications. I want to make sure I don't hurt myself as I try and maintain some strength

http://youtu.be/Fw04LOKQLb0

Nope, it's not chest up hips down.

It's chest up and hips UP. Hips down will make your hamstrings slacken. You don't want that.

hamstringtension.png

You want tense hamstrings, because tense hamstrings at the bottom will allow for a stronger contraction on the way up, aiding greatly in hip extension. There will be a tug of war between your chest and your hips. You must not let your chest force you to lower your hips.

Your head should be in a neutral position before the pull. Try to keep your chin down.

Don't exhale at the top; exhale after you've lowered the weight and take another deep breath before pulling the next rep.

Don't flex your knees on the way down before your hips are fully unlocked bringing the bar below your knees. If you unlock your knees before bringing the bar down below them you'll have the problem of having the bar running into your legs and forcing you to push it forward to lower it further. Unlock the hips first and THEN unlock the knees.

The solution to the day(s)-old chicken problem is broth. Just chop up the chix, toss it in a bowl of broth and nuke it. Mix in some garlic powder and pepper and junk and it's instant soup, and the funkiness from the aged chicken juice actually helps the flavor IMO.

It's friday and it's off to do deadlift/traps/core, have a great weekend FitGAF!

You just blew my mind. I don't know how improvised chicken soup never occurred to me.... Thank you.

Vegas, baby, Vegas!!!! Enjoy it, man, and come back strong!

yessir!

Definitely looking much tighter FE. Not many weeks left at all I think.

Yeah, I want to say one more month. Should be fun.

So close, FE!! Keep it up

thanks!

Starting to see dem abs. You rolling to Vegas with a crew or significant other?

Going with the woman and some friends. I need to get me a Vegas outfit.

Looking great man. You going to evo while you are in Vegas? I've been twice including last year and it's amazing.

Yeah, that's actually the reason why we are going. Kick it with some peeps from SRK as well. I've been the past few years. Not going to enter any tourneys. Maybe VF or ST. Mostly there to drink, gamble, and make a fool out of myself haha.

bro1

Banned
Nope, it's not chest up hips down.

It's chest up and hips UP. Hips down will make your hamstrings slacken. You don't want that.

hamstringtension.png

You want tense hamstrings, because tense hamstrings at the bottom will allow for a stronger contraction on the way up, aiding greatly in hip extension. There will be a tug of war between your chest and your hips. You must not let your chest force you to lower your hips.

Your head should be in a neutral position before the pull. Try to keep your chin down.

Don't exhale at the top; exhale after you've lowered the weight and take another deep breath before pulling the next rep.

Don't flex your knees on the way down before your hips are fully unlocked bringing the bar below your knees. If you unlock your knees before bringing the bar down below them you'll have the problem of having the bar running into your legs and forcing you to push it forward to lower it further. Unlock the hips first and THEN unlock the knees.

Thanks! I'll try that next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom