• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matugi

I would think that low bar has the potential to be rougher on your back. You have to lean over more to keep the weight over your mid-foot as it is and too much hip drive out of the bottom before you start to come up and you are looking at a good morning. No bueno on the lower back.

High bar and sumo.

Thanks, figured as much. Gonna start back light and ease into Bill Star's 5x5.

What was interesting is that I'm still having a lot of pressure/pain when sitting and bending over at the waist, but anything that preserves the natural arch of my back is fine. How normal is it to have that sort of pain and pressure when sitting and bending over? Even standing and bending at the waist I don't face nearly as much pressure.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Really interesting video about how keeping your shins vertical is the number one most important cue for a good deadlift.

Makes lots of sense too. Can't wait to get back into the gym and try it out.
Thanks for that Boogie. I inadvertently switched to a more vertical shin position a few months ago. I used to roll the bar to my shins and go. Well, my knees hyper extend so they we're past vertical and not at my optimal power position. Now I roll the bar a couple inches in front of my shins and bring them to the bar causing them to be vertical. Small change but it made a big difference.

EDIT: Get yourself out of a squat position ASAP Yam. It's such a weak position and your hips will shoot up anyway once you start moving serious weight.

ILoveBish

Nutrition thread going well, as i type things go quick. I pm'd a few folk here for more help, hopefully should have a good thread up in a day or so.

Piecake

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Man, I never get tired of that last sudden burst of adrenaline when you're doing your last sets.

I was doing my OHP yesterday and I started off with just the bar, and for some reason it felt kinda heavy (I don't know why, but even warm ups can be kind of annoying for me, occasionally). By the time I was doing my max load, I thought I was almost gonna fall over. Yet oddly enough I managed to push through and complete my reps on the first set. The second set was much more difficult and I missed out on half a rep. But then comes the final set and it was easier than the first two, and I got a few extra reps in on top of that!

I love it when that happens.

SeanR1221

Yams, get out of squat position right away.

Deadlift.jpg

I would do more reps on assistance excercises. 8-12 reps on curls for the gurls

8-12 reps for curls, or tricep extension also?

Also regarding weight assisted pull ups: the OP guide suggests 8-15 reps per set. Based on the strength-hypertrophy against rep number, would I better off stick to 8 rather than towards 15 as in theory that should build strength more quickly, helping me lower to the weight I require to complete the exercise (and in the long run move to proper pull ups)?

Below is what helped me.
Overhead Presses:
Remember to squeeze your glutes (clench your butt cheeks together) and to perform the valsalva maneuver/breath properly when doing the lift.

Power Cleans:
I think there are some Mark Rippetoe videos on power cleans out in the YouTubes; you can also read the power clean section of the Starting Strength book. I'm still learning it and what helped me is CaliforniaStrength's How to Clean videos without the squatting portion. Part 1, Part 2, Part 3. Start with the hang clean and then when you get the hang of it, add the next portion of it (starting below the knees), and finally the last portion (starting from the ground).

Appreciate that, will check those out and add some to my phone for portable references on technique!

I was hoping to pick up a paper copy of starting strength, but at ~£30 a copy I guess I'll stick to the Kindle Edition!

Does anybody have a good shrug/trap exercise that isolates the spine? Often when I do shrugs with dumbells (standing) I feel like I pinch a disc or something in my mid-back. I try to keep my back straight, but towards the end of the set sometimes things go awry.

Disc feels sore for a few hours or so and goes away, but I still don't like it.

Go_Ly_Dow

Does anybody have a good shrug/trap exercise that isolates the spine? Often when I do shrugs with dumbells (standing) I feel like I pinch a disc or something in my mid-back. I try to keep my back straight, but towards the end of the set sometimes things go awry.

Maybe see how barbell shrugs feel? Hands just outside your thighs.

sphinx

the piano man
A friend of mine "liked" a fitness video by some German fitness guru and I proceeded to watch it. The guy says how he receives countless emails with the same content "I've plateaued, I look the same, help? etc"

his answer:

"...before you go anywhere near a barbell, you should have your diet in check..."

>_<

it really sounds like it's an exercise you shouldn't be doing. You should let someone check that problem.

Bowser

A friend of mine "liked" a fitness video by some German fitness guru and I proceeded to watch it. The guy says how he receives countless emails with the same content "I've plateaued, I look the same, help? etc"

his answer:

"...before you go anywhere near a barbell, you should have your diet in check..."

>_<

While it's a bit extreme, it's not the worst advice.

Cooter

Man, I wish I had a workout today. I may have an addiction! :)
When I get this staunch dedicated mindset I go and do something. No need to waste motivation IMO. Do abs and some bike. Maybe some pull ups or arms. Whatever you can that doesn't interfere with your routine. Other will argue rest and there is merit to that also.

TylerD

When I get this staunch dedicated mindset I go and do something. No need to waste motivation IMO. Do abs and some bike. Maybe some pull ups or arms. Whatever you can that doesn't interfere with your routine. Other will argue rest and there is merit to that also.

What Cooter said.

I usually just go to my basketball court and shoot around or I just go outside and see what shit I can get into. Do something you're going to enjoy.

You guys are right. I'm well rested, mentally sharp and just feeling all around awesome. It would be a shame to waste it. I think some additional arm work, abs and some HIIT is what I need today.

Go_Ly_Dow

Anyone got that list of protein powders and which ones have less shit in them basically?

Currently get my protein powder from myprotein.com , but thought it might be worth investing in something of higher standard

Cheers

ILoveBish

Should have the nutrition thread up tonight. I showed a few people a rough draft and got good feedback. I added a lot more since, so will clean it up after work and post it up in ot.

manhack

There is so little consensus in the field of nutrition. The whole thing is a goddamn mess.

Exactly.

There are some general principles, such as macronutrient ratios and calorie intake that will lead to achieving fitness goals.

However, the science of nutrition is still new in so many ways.

Take every bit of nutrition advice with a grain of salt.

Dat nutrition thread needs to come soon.

Who eats ice cream before bed? i heard its a good source of casein protein. I would love for someone to tell me that ice cream is safe to eat.

Dude I'm sorry but this is fucking stupid. You want casein before bed? Drink a casein shake or eat cottage cheese. Look at the goddamned label on the side of the box. Ice cream is sugar and fat with MAYBE 3 grams of protein.

It's a delicious treat and a fine reward in moderation for being good during the day but for fuck's sake don't delude yourself about what you're eating. misinformed validation from the internet is not going to change what you're putting into your body.

Nutrition is nutrition. You really don't need to get caught up in all the specifics. JUst hit your numbers and get your shit done. Eating shitty foods will not allow you to hit your numbers unless you're some kind of math wizard and weigh everything.

As far as what numbers are right, it really isn't a big deal. You find some numbers, check your progress adjust till you get results you want. Voila. See nutrition thread when it's up. :)

Bowser

Dude I'm sorry but this is fucking stupid. You want casein before bed? Drink a casein shake or eat cottage cheese. Look at the goddamned label on the side of the box. Ice cream is sugar and fat with MAYBE 3 grams of protein.

It's a delicious treat and a fine reward in moderation for being good during the day but for fuck's sake don't delude yourself about what you're eating. misinformed validation from the internet is not going to change what you're putting into your body.

I was assuming he was being sarcastic which is why I didn't say anything lol.

I was assuming he was being sarcastic which is why I didn't say anything lol.

I was being half serious, maybe even wishful thinking. I haven't eaten ice cream in a longggg time and when I saw Alan Thrall chow down on some Breyers and talk about casein I was like da fuck ice cream is safe to eat?

I just wrapped up a diet myself so I'm still a bit on edge :p My point stands though, anyone can tell you ice cream is "safe" (whatever that means) to eat but it won't change the ingredients or what's on the label.

A lot of people will ask for advice, but what they really want is affirmation, and they'll just keep on asking until they hear what they want.

CrankyJay

Banned
I just wrapped up a diet myself so I'm still a bit on edge :p My point stands though, anyone can tell you ice cream is "safe" (whatever that means) to eat but it won't change the ingredients or what's on the label.

A lot of people will ask for advice, but what they really want is affirmation, and they'll just keep on asking until they hear what they want.

/nod

Bowser

ZDyU4.gif

Nutrition is nutrition. You really don't need to get caught up in all the specifics. JUst hit your numbers and get your shit done. Eating shitty foods will not allow you to hit your numbers unless you're some kind of math wizard and weigh everything.

As far as what numbers are right, it really isn't a big deal. You find some numbers, check your progress adjust till you get results you want. Voila. See nutrition thread when it's up. :)

I'm curious as to what your daily diet consists of. You obviously have a solid handle on what and what not do do.

Cooter

My diet is so extremely dialed in right now.

-Fast until 5:30-6. Til then it's 8 bottles of water
-post workout shake and Red Bull=400cal, 60p, 30c
-7:00, 1 cup cottage cheese=200cal, 25p, 10c
-8:30, Big meat and veggie meal, 700-800cal, 70p, 10c
-9:30-10:30, peanut butter and preserves, 400-500cal, 12p, 35c

Daily total=1800-2000cal, 165-170p, 70-90c

That's been it for three weeks and the fat has been dripping of while muscle remains. I don't count my fat but from what I posted you can see its plenty for the low amount of carbs I'm consuming.

agrajag

Banned

That's been it for three weeks and the fat has been dripping of while muscle remains. I don't count my fat but from what I posted you can see its plenty for the low amount of carbs I'm consuming.

What is your work schedule, if you don't mind sharing? 9-5 ish?

Bowser

Not that you need to, but you could get some better cottage cheese :p These are my two go-tos:

OG_CotChs_Lg_Feature.png

160 cal, 6g carbs, 28g protein

or

1-Percent-Cottage-Cheese.png

180 cal, 8g carbs, 32g protein

Sioen

Alright GAF I need some help like serious..
I got a fitness abo untill june 2015 but I'm scared to go there.. I get the feeling I'm constantly being watched and/or laughed at.. I'm a very weak person in terms or muscles my arms are very thin even thinner than most girls arms who don't do any fitness. I just feel so insecure there and it sucks cause I want to get some muscles, not only for the looks but also because I had a back operation when I was younger and I need more muscles if I ever need to do some real work cause now it's just not possible..
Any help..? sorry if I sound desperate (but I am :'()

The results show, Cooter. Goddamn does your diet work for you.

I struggle with maintaining an oatmeal, pre workout shake, and small dinner every day. The monotomy gets tiring after the 3rd week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom