• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Not hard. Get other meats (turkey, beef, fish), greek yogurt, cottage cheese, nuts, eggs and/or egg whites (if you're watching fat intake), jerkey, peanut butter, etc.

Hell, a cup of greek yogurt mixed with a scoop of protein powder, some peanut butter, and a handful of almonds/granola will get you there in one go.

Check out this site for some recipes/ideas: http://dhftns.com/healthy-recipes/protein-recipes/

greek yogurt killed me this morning, so cheesy. i think ill try this!

Piecake

You dont have an arched back and that's makes the path hella longer and is going to kill your shoulders. Before you bench make sure you have a hyperextended back. I do this by retracting my shoulder blades and shooting my hips up before I bench. When I set my butt down I drive my heels out towards me without them leaving the ground. This will create that hyperextension and helps create proper leg drive.

This vid explains it a lot more than I did
http://youtu.be/BYKScL2sgCs

His heels are off the ground which is ok for some but for me personally it kills my leg drive

Is the back supposed to be arched that much? I mean, I arch it and stick my shoulders under the bench, but I don't think I am doing it as severely as that. My feet position might be the cause of that since I think his position results in more force/tension/whatever.

Petrie

Banned
You dont have an arched back and that's makes the path hella longer and is going to kill your shoulders. Before you bench make sure you have a hyperextended back. I do this by retracting my shoulder blades and shooting my hips up before I bench. When I set my butt down I drive my heels out towards me without them leaving the ground. This will create that hyperextension and helps create proper leg drive.

His heels are off the ground which is ok for some but for me personally it kills my leg drive

Pretty much the same thing Wayne told me on FB. Which is nice since it means I should be able to push more than I am and get to that elusive 300lb I'm hoping for by year's end.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Another thing I want to add is that one day I was playing a game of soccer with my friends and not long after intensely playing the game, I was having a difficult time moving my body with all the pain associated with the exercise and I just couldn't run no matter how hard I tried.

None of my friends seemed to have this problem, so of course it has to be just me. It scares me and it gave me a disadvantage that day.

I don't know what your training frequency or intensity is, but why not just tone it down a bit? Don't go work hard the day before, on, or immediately after you play soccer. Make sure you're giving your body ample amounts of rest. You also say you try not to eat a lot as if that's a good thing. It's not. Your body is constantly rebuilding itself. Deprive it of the resources it needs and you won't have good results.

Since we're talking nutrition, I'll post my daily and workout.

Been back in the gym two weeks since taking ~6 weeks off because of the surgery. My goal is a mix of dropping fat and gaining muscle back. I like being 200, I feel like it's a good weight to carry on my frame.

This is from a friend of a friend who trains bodybuilders. Comes out to be about 240 g protein per day. I'm 6', 204 lbs.

Total cost for the week in food for me is about 70-80 dollars, which is pretty good. (Hint: get that shit at walmart. I hate the place but I can walk out saving 20-30 bucks over my local supermarket.) Daily calories is about 1800, which ignoring the daily workouts, is a deficit for an average office worker my size and age.

My protein is this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BWUCVI6/?tag=neogaf0e-20. I can't handle whey, lactose intolerant. I can't even do hydro whey, which is supposed to be allergy tolerant. This is 20g a scoop (meh) but it's delicious (triple choc) and seems to be the most effective for the price.

With my workout currently being a 5 day split, the first one posted here:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/wotw94.htm

I'm strongly considering going back to SS, 3 days/week with 2 days cardio, but I'm going to finish out my third week first and see. I've tried doing ab stuff and heavy bench and my abs can't take it yet.

I'm varying the diet by switching in sweet potatoes and broccoli, etc.

In my third week, I'll report results back in a month or so. BTW, I enjoy reading all the inspiration here, thanks!

Man... I'll never understand the desire to make this stuff so damn complicated with nonsense like "stoking the metabolic fire" by eating six meals a day (who has time for this shit?) and going to the gym almost every day to work out a specific body part. It seems to come from some kind of mistaken mentality that doing more things and more complicated things will somehow give better results.

Good luck in whatever you end up doing, but I just don't get some of these approaches.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Hang on... cheesy Greek yoghurt? It has a strong flavour, I'll give you that, but cheesy it's not.

its probably the strong flavor. i have never eaten greek yogurt before and it has such a strong taste in my mouth. it was a struggle to down it with some blueberries and a crunched up granola bar. the granola bar saved me...

Piecake

its probably the strong flavor. i have never eaten greek yogurt before and it has such a strong taste in my mouth. it was a struggle to down it with some blueberries and a crunched up granola bar. the granola bar saved me...

Full fat or fat free? Full fat tastes delicious. Fat Free tastes, well, artifical and plasticy to me, hard to explain.

Tabasco

Say for example if I just did body exercises at home to keep my heart rate and sweat levels up, then would that be good enough?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
guys halppppp, i don't wanna get 2 big chunks of chicken breast, i struggled to eat it yesterday... pls tell me there is a substitute that isn't drinking a shake!

Substitute with other meat or fish. Chicken can get really goddamn boring.

Is the back supposed to be arched that much? I mean, I arch it and stick my shoulders under the bench, but I don't think I am doing it as severely as that. My feet position might be the cause of that since I think his position results in more force/tension/whatever.

It all depends on your flexibility. He even says it in the vid....its not gymnastics, just make sure your back is arched enough so that your lats are solid and tight. My cue is that if i can fit my fist under my back then it's arched correctly

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Full fat or fat free? Full fat tastes delicious. Fat Free tastes, well, artifical and plasticy to me, hard to explain.

its fage, it has 10 grams of fat in it.... god damn it. now i cant eat chicken, too many grams of fat if i try eating meat now. might just down another protein shake and not commit the same mistake again.

Bowser

its fage, it has 10 grams of fat in it.... god damn it. now i cant eat chicken, too many grams of fat if i try eating meat now. might just down another protein shake and not commit the same mistake again.

This is something I used to do which is a mistake. Protein shakes are easy in that you can hit your protein targets, but it teaches you nothing about proper nutrition and real life eating. I can see its uses on a hardcore cut, but I think in the end it's always better to get your nutrients from whole food sources. I still supplement with a scoop or two of protein per day, but I don't like to get much more than that.

I'm curious, what macros are you targeting? Or are you just afraid of carbs and fat and trying to minimize them? You should really try to measure/target some macros for a bit so you can get used to what kinds of things and how much you should be eating.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Say for example if I just did body exercises at home to keep my heart rate and sweat levels up, then would that be good enough?

For general health? Sure.

You can also get pretty strong doing body weight exercises.

I think the problem for a lot of people is that they don't last on body weight programs done at home. It's a lot easier to get distracted and come up with excuses if you're not going to a dedicated fitness location.

This seems extreme... why are you so afraid of dietary fat intake?

ILoveBish

Just do a thread and little by little we'll be adding stuff to it and make an OP like the one here.

Just copy/paste the nutrition part of this thread as a starter and we go from there.

(I could do it but I am not good at preparing OTs so if you are willing to give it a shot go for it)

OK I'll do the thread and get assistance from everyone here. Do we call it the neogaf official nutrition thread, or the fitgaf official nutrition thread? And for the title, was thinking "the more you cook, the better you look". Thoughts?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
OK I'll do the thread and get assistance from everyone here. Do we call it the neogaf official nutrition thread, or the fitgaf official nutrition thread? And for the title, was thinking "the more you cook, the better you look". Thoughts?

Nutrition Thread |OT| You Can't Outwork A Shit Diet

dammit

Or simply: Nutrition Thread |OT| Abs are made in the kitchen

J. Bravo

i need a gym closer to home that doesn't have a basketball court lol. i went to the gym at 1045 last night to get some chest in, but as soon as i walked by the court everyone yelled at me to come play so of course i played a game, which turned into 4 more since we didn't lose. aka 130am and i'm pissed i didn't lift. and i have to squat today.

honestly i might sign up at planet fitness since it's closer, only $10/month, and i could do upper body there with no problems and just squat/deadlift at my home gym.

blackflag

I don't know what your training frequency or intensity is, but why not just tone it down a bit? Don't go work hard the day before, on, or immediately after you play soccer. Make sure you're giving your body ample amounts of rest. You also say you try not to eat a lot as if that's a good thing. It's not. Your body is constantly rebuilding itself. Deprive it of the resources it needs and you won't have good results.

Man... I'll never understand the desire to make this stuff so damn complicated with nonsense like "stoking the metabolic fire" by eating six meals a day (who has time for this shit?) and going to the gym almost every day to work out a specific body part. It seems to come from some kind of mistaken mentality that doing more things and more complicated things will somehow give better results.

Good luck in whatever you end up doing, but I just don't get some of these approaches.

I saw massive improvements in my physique when I started eating 6 meals per day and doing a split. Coincidence...I dunno?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I saw massive improvements in my physique when I started eating 6 meals per day and doing a split. Coincidence...I dunno?

Without knowing exactly what you were doing before that change, it's kind of hard to comment, isn't it?

NH Apache

Banned
Isn't pretty much a given that increased meals per day increases metabolism?

Damn, we need that thread

Edit: And now I'm reading many studies to the contrary.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I got the medium black 10mm single prong. Was going to go for the lever but after watching some youtube vids I figured the lever would be a bitch to adjust. My waist is a size 34 1/2 so I went with medium. If it's too small I'll return it for a large.
I ordered the 13mm Red Large lever. My waste is about 33.5 so I didn't know what direction to go. After Cudder's recommendation and seeing as the lever seems to get a bit tighter I went with it. Single prong was my 2nd choice. Apparently it's a bitch until you break it in but I'm in this for the long haul. I'll get there.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

From the research I've seen (and naturally,. it's not handy) the answer is no

Dat nutrition thread needs to come soon.

Who eats ice cream before bed? i heard its a good source of casein protein. I would love for someone to tell me that ice cream is safe to eat.

Bowser

Edit: And now I'm reading many studies to the contrary.

No:

Food intake has a negligible effect on metabolism. Some foods, including those with caffeine, may slightly and temporarily increase metabolism, but the effect is too small to help you lose weight. What most affects your basal metabolic rate (BMR), the rate at which your body burns calories at rest, is body composition and size. More muscles and bigger bodies generally burn more calories overall.

http://www.realsimple.com/health/nu...sting-10-diet-myths-10000001700385/page2.html

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Can you really not workout a shit diet?

:(

This is correct. Depends on your definition of shit though. And your goals. If you just want to put up numbers, eat shit and lift heavy and enjoy. But if you want aesthetics, you gotta put the fork down.

sphinx

the piano man

thanks for posting this, always good to go through the do's and dont's of these lifts.

yeah, I swear I'll be top ten by the time it reaches 20k, I am in dire need of it. everyday I have a nutrition question.

Nutrition Thread |OT| You Can't Outwork A Shit Diet

dammit

Or simply: Nutrition Thread |OT| Abs are made in the kitchen

the first one

rokkerkory

Eating healthy means you are feeding your body the right things. I don't understand how people can just put crap in their bodies as if they don't really care about themselves enough.

Once you start eating clean plus add in some gym, everything gets better from physical health to positive mindset. It's all win win and yet people don't even try until they get to a point where it's really late or they have to for life-death situations.

sphinx

the piano man
Eating healthy means you are feeding your body the right things. I don't understand how people can just put crap in their bodies as if they don't really care about themselves enough.

but it's not black and white.

Sure, donuts and cinnamon buns are easy to spot but other foods are tricky.

I know some people in this thread refrain from eating pasta. I want to ask in the nutrition thread why is pasta a bad source of carbs.

I know some people in this thread take bacon in their breakfast, friends of mine say that's awful. what's the truth?

I need that thread ASAP

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
This is something I used to do which is a mistake. Protein shakes are easy in that you can hit your protein targets, but it teaches you nothing about proper nutrition and real life eating. I can see its uses on a hardcore cut, but I think in the end it's always better to get your nutrients from whole food sources. I still supplement with a scoop or two of protein per day, but I don't like to get much more than that.

I'm curious, what macros are you targeting? Or are you just afraid of carbs and fat and trying to minimize them? You should really try to measure/target some macros for a bit so you can get used to what kinds of things and how much you should be eating.

200g of protein, 72g of fat and 161g of carbs a day. I've had high triglycerides on multiple occasions and want to kinda not continue that streak. I'm not afraid of adding carbs, more energy for me man, its the fat that scares me. I will heed your advice and see if I can find something, maybe some pork chops will do the trick for today.

This seems extreme... why are you so afraid of dietary fat intake?

Kinda OCD'ing on this, I want perfect or at least really close numbers to the recommended intake. I'm getting the hang of it but I should be a bit more lenient on myself.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

I know some people in this thread refrain from eating pasta. I want to ask in the nutrition thread why is pasta a bad source of carbs.

I know some people in this thread take bacon in their breakfast, friends of mine say that's awful. what's the truth?

I need that thread ASAP

There is so little consensus in the field of nutrition. The whole thing is a goddamn mess.

I'll probably try to stay out of the thread as to not derail it since I disagree with so much of the mainstream stuff about nutrition. Luckily that common wisdom seems to be gradually changing to something more sensible. It will take a long time, though.

200g of protein, 72g of fat and 161g of carbs a day. I've had high triglycerides on multiple occasions and want to kinda not continue that streak. I'm not afraid of adding carbs, more energy for me man, its the fat that scares me. I will heed your advice and see if I can find something, maybe some pork chops will do the trick for today.

Time and time again it is shown that carbohydrates are responsible for elevated triglycerides. Not fat.

Kinda OCD'ing on this, I want perfect or at least really close numbers to the recommended intake. I'm getting the hang of it but I should be a bit more lenient on myself.

Recommended by whom?

Bowser

I need that thread ASAP

As with everything, it comes down to two things basically: your individual goals and moderation.

If you're someone who's looking to bulk and has budgeted for 300-500g of carbs, will shit, you gotta get 'em from somewhere and pasta/rice/potatoes are the easiest way to work towards that goal.

Similarly, if you're on low carb/ultra low carb, well you gotta get your energy from somewhere and that somewhere is fat, so go nuts (literally!) with bacon, cheese, etc.

It's all about constructing the right diet for you and making sure you meet your macros.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
As with everything, it comes down to two things basically: your individual goals and moderation.

If you're someone who's looking to bulk and has budgeted for 300-500g of carbs, will shit, you gotta get 'em from somewhere and pasta/rice/potatoes are the easiest way to work towards that goal.

Similarly, if you're on low carb/ultra low carb, well you gotta get your energy from somewhere and that somewhere is fat, so go nuts (literally!) with bacon, cheese, etc.

It's all about constructing the right diet for you and making sure you meet your macros.

All of this, too.

There is no diet that is right for everyone. Just a right diet for whatever your goals are at the time.

sphinx

the piano man
There is so little consensus in the field of nutrition. The whole thing is a goddamn mess.

I expect someone to drop the question "Gaf, is a carb a carb?" and watch as a 10-page discussion unfolds.

I am all for it, the more knowledge the better.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Keep in mind if you go with the "You can't outwork a shit diet" title there'll be fuckheads who show up and say "I eat pizza all day and I'm doing great!" so expect a derailment of some sort.

Bowser

Keep in mind if you go with the "You can't outwork a shit diet" title there'll be fuckheads who show up and say "I eat pizza all day and I'm doing great!" so expect a derailment of some sort.

Expect a derailment no matter what.

Some fuckhead is going to come in no matter what and be like "lol I eat burritos and pizza and nachos all day, I don't go to the gym, and I've got a six pack! lol sux2bu"

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Expect a derailment no matter what.

Some fuckhead is going to come in no matter what and be like "lol I eat burritos and pizza and nachos all day, I don't go to the gym, and I've got a six pack! lol sux2bu"

Really the only thing to do with people doing that is to either ignore them or tell them to go sit at the kid's table while the grown folk talk serious.

ILoveBish

It is going to be a fun thread. I'll start working on it tonight before I hit the gym. And I'll be going with Vince's #1 suggestion.

You really can't. You can gain size on a shit diet (ask Vinny and FE!), but you're not gonna get abs/stomach definition if you eat like shit.

Depends on your definition of a shit diet really. If it's masses of calories, then yes, what you say is true... if it's eating fast food but still hitting your calorie targets then you can still get definition just fine (it happened to me accidentally once upon a time).

Can you really not workout a shit diet?

:(

Depends on your goals.

You better believe I worked out on my "shit diet." To be perfectly honest, I miss being that big. If my pecs/upper back/traps grew as fast as the rest of my body, I would prolly still be hanging around the same weight.

I know me personally I couldn't bring myself to just eat fast food and greasy fried shit exclusively. I would feel like a fat ass even when I'm pulling 400 lbs but every person has different fitness goals. Some people just want to get strong no matter what (which means eating a shitton of food) and some just want to be aesthetic.

Inbe4 whycantwehaveboth.pic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom