• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pete Rock

Those crunches will only mess up your lumbar spine
Absolutely. Please do not do them. Not with a machine. Not by themselves. Not at all. It is a terrible range of motion to subject yourself to and the resulting motion has very little to do with abdominal activation and stability. If you want your guts to be nasty it's mostly heavy compounds (squats/deads) and a bulletproof diet that will get you there.

At my gym there is this "adult male" who looks like a 12 year old with bitch tits and three rolls on his abdomen when he sits down in an upright position. All I ever see him do are DB presses and weighted ab crunches when he is in the weight room. I can see in his mind what he wants, but the way he goes about it is just beyond laughable.

My points of intersection with him are as follows - when I am in the steam room for 10 minutes at the end of my workout, he jumps in there and is just beginning his routine. I asked him once as a joke and he "explained it to me" that "this is the best warmup you can get" (even though it is not based on your heart rate and he is not actually stretching or doing much of anything). Then he changes his clothes without taking a shower, making sure to do two things - leave his completely soaking wet underwear on, because god forbid he is naked around other people - and two - literally hose himself down with Axe body spray because you know, gotta scoop all the bitches when you're crushing out those circuits! So clearly, a genius at work here.

After that, he cracks open an M-150 and slams 27G of sugar to the face so he has the "energy" to complete his "workout" and then throws this empty can in the locker next to his. The only reason I discovered the latter FACT was because one day I was opening up a spare locker to hang my wet towel in - and BOOM - like a fucking cartoon - literally dozens of these goddamn golden cans came flooding out of the locker like a waterfall, right as the janitor walked by. We both looked at each other, sighed, and rolled our eyes over this insanity. He brought in a trash bag and threw them all away, but not after I read the nutritional information just to confirm that indeed, this kid is the king of clown shoes training. Also he is too lazy to walk 10 feet away and throw it in the trash. Or at least he was. I think he got embarrassed and stopped doing it after he realized someone, anyone, cleaned up his "stash" lol.

ALSO, while I am on the subject of embarrassing shit nobody should ever do in their goddamn lives and how to SHAME them out of it, this one is astounding.

There are shitty oscillating fans mounted to the walls of the locker room up near the ceiling. They help move air around so it's not so stifling, even though it doesn't really matter because the environmental controls of the building are so shitty as to be worthless outside of hemorrhaging electrical expenditure into the atmosphere.

Half a dozen times now I have gotten out of the weight room and gone to my locker only to discover that some absolute imbecile has literally HUNG his WET BOXERS on the backside of the oscillating fan. To dry them out. As if it is a swimsuit spinning machine, which you are not supposed to put your normal clothes in anyways. ???

A half a dozen times in two years was not really like ruining my life or anything, but I saw it against last week and I said ENOUGH is ENOUGH. I grabbed a paper towel and threw those goddamn boxers off the fan and onto the top of the lockers and though to myself "Ok, this will send the message that SOMEONE didn't appreciate it. But that's not enough to keep this from happening again. You need to CONFRONT this dude".

So after I got out of the sauna and the shower I was walking back to my locker and caught this fucking grown-ass grey-haired man RED-HANDED. He was putting on those exact boxers so I leaned over and said "Hey man, I wasn't trying to cramp your style by moving your boxers off the fan, I just didn't want your ball-sweat blowing in my face anymore"

His face got so red, he couldn't even look me in the eyes, he just kind of stammered out "uhh, that's uhh... that's OK" and finished getting dressed before walking off as fast as fucking possible.

The sad thing is this dude probably raised six other children from conception to the point of maturity before he ever thought once about bringing a clean pair of boxers to the gym to change into. Goddamn. Fuck you too brah.

/gym rant over

sphinx

the piano man
]they are doing something you don't understand/know about.

this happened to me just a few pages back,

at first glance, this looked like a failed (half-rep) Incline bench press...

BBInclineShoulderRaise.gif

but then re-read the name of the exercise (Barbell Incline Shoulder Raise) and was like "wait, this is something else" and then "ooooohhhhh.... ok." lol

Imagine I go telling someone "hey dude, don't half-rep that shit"....:O embarrasing!

that's why I mind my own business.

Might as well get a form check during the early stages of this mandatory de load.

http://youtu.be/9qOH2Zc7gWg

You guys see anything obvious?

I recommend looking to the front instead of down.

In my experience, it helps me achieve a more solid vertical path, straight down and then up and it somehow makes me keep an open chest at all times, feeling tighter through the movement.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Can I have some examples of abdominal work? I got confused once I reached that part and had no idea what would be best.

Plus, eating two cans of tuna with eggs is a struggle... I hate tuna.

A

So after I got out of the sauna and the shower I was walking back to my locker and caught this fucking grown-ass grey-haired man RED-HANDED. He was putting on those exact boxers so I leaned over and said "Hey man, I wasn't trying to cramp your style by moving your boxers off the fan, I just didn't want your ball-sweat blowing in my face anymore"

/gym rant over

LMAO awesome. Thats nasty.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Good Lord! Just had a frustrating conversation with an acquaintance about this new diet he is about to start. It's the "Rush" diet that Helmsworth did after Thor and before Rush. He explains it as no meat and proceeds to breakdown his meals. I do a quick count and it looks to be around 40gs of protein. He tells me it's 1200 calories and it has "worked" for him before. I ask if he will continue lifting and he says yes. At this point I politely try to help and he's not hearing any of what I have to say. I ask why he is excluding meat and I shit you not he replies, "because meat is bad for cutting." I was done at that point. Told him he is misinformed and dropped it. Unbelievable.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Good Lord! Just had a frustrating conversation with an acquaintance about this new diet he is about to start. It's the "Rush" diet that Helmsworth did after Thor and before Rush. He explains with no meat and proceeds breakdown his meals. I do a quick count and it looks to be around 40gs of protein. He tells me it's 1200 calories and it has "worked" for him before. I ask if he will continue lifting and he says yes. At this point I politely try to help and he's not hearing any of what I have to say. I ask why he is excluding meat and I shit you not he replies, "because meat is bad for cutting." I was done at that point. Told him he is misinformed and dropped it. Unbelievable.

Did Hemsworth also bequeath him a steroid stack and schedule?

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Good Lord! Just had a frustrating conversation with an acquaintance about this new diet he is about to start. It's the "Rush" diet that Helmsworth did after Thor and before Rush. He explains it as no meat and proceeds to breakdown his meals. I do a quick count and it looks to be around 40gs of protein. He tells me it's 1200 calories and it has "worked" for him before. I ask if he will continue lifting and he says yes. At this point I politely try to help and he's not hearing any of what I have to say. I ask why he is excluding meat and I shit you not he replies, "because meat is bad for cutting." I was done at that point. Told him he is misinformed and dropped it. Unbelievable.

I've heard it all now. Just forsake protein, its not like your muscles need it to repair/grow.

Exokell

Banned
Do any of you guys use PEDs? This one guy at the gym who was skinny suddenly got bigger in mass out of nowhere, I suspect he was using coz he still benches 95lbs. I think I started the same time as him but I'm at 225 now on incline.

Do any of you guys use PEDs? This one guy at the gym who was skinny suddenly got bigger in mass out of nowhere, I suspect he was using coz he still benches 95lbs. I think I started the same time as him but I'm at 225 now on incline.

I'm pretty small and can lift a ton more than a number of the HUGE guys I know. Drugs aside I just think some people are destined to be swole, and some people really aren't.

Well I just got finished with my first-ever "lifting session" (or whatever the hell you wanna call it) and it could have gone better. Things started out okay. I'm following Jason Blaha's Ice Cream Fitness 5x5 routine, and I was able to get through the squats, bench press, barbell shrugs, and tricep extensions well enough (I don't think I did the bent over row correctly), but when it came time to do barbell curls, I completely blew it. I'm supposed to do three sets of eight; I couldn't even get past four in each set with no weights. Man, I knew I was weak, but that shit was just discouraging. After trying and failing at the curls a few more times, I ended up leaving the gym without completing the last two exercises for the first day (though that was partially because I couldn't find the machines for them in my gym - lol).

Do you guys have any advice on how to approach barbell curls in the future? Would just doing as many of them as I can (even if I can't finish the set) be my best course of action for right now? Or should I substitute them with a different exercise until I'm strong enough? I don't plan on leaving early again if I can't complete them next time. I think I just got frustrated and kind of embarrassed since this was my first time trying weights.

EDIT: On a more positive note, my arms are like jello and it feels great.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Well I just got finished with my first-ever "lifting session" (or whatever the hell you wanna call it) and it could have gone better. Things started out okay. I'm following Jason Blaha's Ice Cream Fitness 5x5 routine, and I was able to get through the squats, bench press, barbell shrugs, and tricep extensions well enough (I don't think I did the bent over row correctly), but when it came time to do barbell curls, I completely blew it. I'm supposed to do three sets of eight; I couldn't even get past four in each set with no weights. Man, I knew I was weak, but that shit was just discouraging. After trying and failing at the curls a few more times, I ended up leaving the gym without completing the last two exercises for the first day (though that was partially because I couldn't find the machines for them in my gym - lol).

Do you guys have any advice on how to approach barbell curls in the future? Would just doing as many of them as I can (even if I can't finish the set) be my best course of action for right now? Or should I substitute them with a different exercise until I'm strong enough? I don't plan on leaving early again if I can't complete them next time. I think I just got frustrated and kind of embarrassed since this was my first time trying weights.

EDIT: On a more positive note, my arms are like jello and it feels great.

Keep track of what you DID do and better it next time. Keep eating and sleeping right and you will better it. Don't be discouraged. This is how you build the muscle temple my brother or sister!

Track everything!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I asked him if he was aware that Helmsworth was mostly likely on a sophisticated concoction of PEDs and he shook his head. Didn't matter.

I have a friend like that. "You're so quick to say he's using something but it's just hard work and dedication"

Yes, but...please listen to me and check your expectations! So frustrating.

stupid clients and stupid corporate credit card and stupid sushi and stupid free lunch

:grumble:

Oh and yet you said the cutting train DID stop here, but from what I see it looks like it just went on past...

Start with just the bar dude pls and record it.

Don't be that dude that says YOLO and put on plates when form is shitty. Your only squat vid you posted here tells me that you have a longgggggg way to go in learning how to squat

We're here to help you dude because trust me we've all started from the bottom. Brolic may be giving you some tough love but trust me hes coming from a good place. He gave me the same tough love the first time i posted a form vid and honestly without him and everyone's advice I would still be squatting above parallell and having fucked knees

Ashodin

Haha of course but I need guides to help with form, and advice is always welcome!

You guys have such a dour attitude so often, I love bringing my positive energy here :)

Oh and I never say YOLO. Never.

Haha of course but I need guides to help with form, and advice is always welcome!

You guys have such a dour attitude so often, I love bringing my positive energy here :)

I disagree with your last statement....everyone here in fit gaf encourages everyone here. I think that some are only annoyed because they feel that all of our advice isn't getting through to you, which i understand but reaching your fitness goal is only going to happen if you take criticism constructively and not just posting to just agree

Chocobro

Great high bar squat form. For the deadlifts I suggest lowering the hips a little bit more which will help when you do heavier weight to load with the hips more.

The squats felt really off and the bar path wasn't good at all in my opinion.
Is there a way I can find my optimal hip position for deadlifts? Last time I lowered my hips a bit, it went up a bit first instead of everything moving up as one.

Cooter

Dour= Stern, unsmiling, unfriendly. Possibly number one but not a chance in hell on the next two. Just listen to what we say and do it damnit! Haha

Ashodin

I disagree with your last statement....everyone here in fit gaf encourages everyone here. I think that some are only annoyed because they feel that all of our advice isn't getting through to you, which i understand but reaching your fitness goal is only going to happen if you take criticism constructively and not just posting to just agree

My only problem with the thread at large is that posting in general is seen as a negative unless it's

• A recent picture or recording of you
  • What you're currently doing exercise wise (15x5 squat, etc) i.e. List Warz
  • Or educating others

I feel like I can't post here about how positive and good I'm feeling about how much I've lost weight or how I feel my personal regimen (holy shit it's not from X book or X regimen I must be doing it wrong) is working for me. I'll even post the personal regimen to get critiques and I can't even agree to try it out without that response being seen as a negative?

Which is why I called the thread "dour" ;)

SeanR1221

this happened to me just a few pages back,

at first glance, this looked like a failed (half-rep) Incline bench press...

BBInclineShoulderRaise.gif

but then re-read the name of the exercise (Barbell Incline Shoulder Raise) and was like "wait, this is something else" and then "ooooohhhhh.... ok." lol

Imagine I go telling someone "hey dude, don't half-rep that shit"....:O embarrasing!

that's why I mind my own business.

I recommend looking to the front instead of down.

In my experience, it helps me achieve a more solid vertical path, straight down and then up and it somehow makes me keep an open chest at all times, feeling tighter through the movement.

Hm interesting. I've been trying to tuck my chin and get my chest up while keeping a more neutral position. I can still play around with it. Thanks for the input.

Sadetar

Haha thanks, its that Ben&Jerry´s! My freezer always looks like this come saturday!

E26C49CD-32D2-4CC0-A10F-B73788DC3367_zps6m3a8fw6.jpg
Lol, I think I was drooling because of something else than those Ben&Jerry's... even though after posting that photo of the freezer I think you should be spanked - I have been cutting this whole damn year and that pic was just pure torture. :p

Well, Saturday is anyways going to be a cheat day so I might just need to include some ice cream into it as well...

Hahahahahahahahah. Sweetie pie, this place is full of adorable people that are ready to help anyone who listens. This thread is honestly purely golden and extremely positive.

But even how awesome this place is, it will echo what ever attitude you may be having back to you. Have you ever stopped to think that maybe, just maybe, there might be something wrong with your attitude towards us as well?

Ashodin

I actually have a lot of reverence for you guys, you've made your gains and gotten to where things are extremely hard for you, that's great!

I just have overflowing enthusiasm and energy to make my body the best it can be and I understand that can be a little intense for some people :)

Oh and an ontopic Q:

When would be the best time to have a shake? Before or after workout?

Also, should I be eating protein before a workout as well?

SeanR1221

My only problem with the thread at large is that posting in general is seen as a negative unless it's

• A recent picture or recording of you
  • What you're currently doing exercise wise (15x5 squat, etc) i.e. List Warz
  • Or educating others

I feel like I can't post here about how positive and good I'm feeling about how much I've lost weight or how I feel my personal regimen (holy shit it's not from X book or X regimen I must be doing it wrong) is working for me. I'll even post the personal regimen to get critiques and I can't even agree to try it out without that response being seen as a negative?

Which is why I called the thread "dour" ;)

It's because you post in here like it's a hype train gaming side thread.

"Yeah bruddah itz workout time 2nite!"

"SQUATS time so excite!"

Or referring to programming as list warz

At best it's off topic white noise.

At worst it's pseudo enthusiastic trolling.

I don't really know or care which it is.

You constantly thank people for their great advice and never attempt to show you've taken the advice because you want to keep telling us how fantastic your current jumbled program is.

Cooter

It's because you post in here like it's a hype train gaming side thread.

"Yeah bruddah itz workout time 2nite!"

"SQUATS time so excite!"

Or referring to programming as list warz

At best it's off topic white noise.

At worst it's pseudo enthusiastic trolling.

I don't really know or care which it is.

You constantly thank people for their great advice and never attempt to show you've taken the advice because you want to keep telling us how fantastic your current jumbled program is.

We're done here.

Ashodin

Yourstuff

Haven't you heard that it takes time? It takes time to work these things in :) No seriously though, I've been trying to get a handle on the right exercises and workouts, as well as reading up on stuff. It's a lot to digest (no pun intended).

And who shouldn't get hyped about losing weight/gaining muscle? It's improving your body for the long term.

I believe posting here does two things for me: It allows me to keep focus and not lose sight of my goals, and also keeps in touch with those in this community for their great advice.

Anyway, I'm off to the gym, and I'll still get that squat vid for critique. See you guys in a bit!

Piecake

I know we talked about motivation a page or two ago. Previously, my only motivation was to look better and get healthier for myself, but now I want to get to the point where I'll make Sadetar drool too.

Cooter

Completed 495 DL at 165 lb BW.
Finished first goal for the year.
I was wondering about you! I will represent my English ancestors and say that's bloody Awesome! Congrats man! Going for my 3x next Friday. I expect the video is upcoming...

Ashodin

One of my favorite side effects of my workouts are the comments I get from my fiancee, like "oh muscles" and "I noticed your butt is thinner!"

rage1973

I was wondering about you! I will represent my English ancestors and say that's bloody Awesome! Congrats man! Going for my 3x next Friday. I expect the video is upcoming...
I failed the same weight 3 weeks ago so I definitely got stronger in that time. I have no doubts you will pull that on Friday. You are a friggin beast. I am uploading the video to YouTube right now.

Sadetar

I know we talked about motivation a page or two ago. Previously, my only motivation was to look better and get healthier for myself, but now I want to get to the point where I'll make Sadetar drool too.
Awwwww, sweetie pie, you just made my day. I might be unable to be totally objective about this matter, but I think that it is an absolutely awesome reason to work out. :p This might very well be one of my favourite posts this far. ;)
tumblr_m3d310Gsqu1r7ifqv.gif

Absolutely splendid! Reaching your goals just shows the dedication and hard work you have put into working out. Very proud of you honey!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

495 DL is amazing to me just by itself, but 3x body weight, goddamn... impressive stuff, man.

Congratulations on that.

How long have you been lifting, if you don't mind my asking?

Ashodin

Interesting vid. Cheers.

I get, "Ugh, you look bulky. I much prefer you when you're scrawny.". She really hates muscled guys. Tough shit I guess. /shrug
Yeah mine likes fit small muscled guys, which I'm going for. Basically have to lose fat and gain a bit of muscle.

I get, "Ugh, you look bulky. I much prefer you when you're scrawny.". She really hates muscled guys. Tough shit I guess. /shrug

I get this from women every once in awhile. It can be a little disheartening but I try to remember that everyone has different preferences and some don't like guys who are lifting. Plus I'm doing this for me, not for anyone else.

Super impressive dude. 3x is a hell of a number. I'm just trying to close back in on 2x lol.

I have a friend like that. "You're so quick to say he's using something but it's just hard work and dedication"

Yes, but...please listen to me and check your expectations! So frustrating.

Oh and yet you said the cutting train DID stop here, but from what I see it looks like it just went on past...

I got chicken and fish. We good baybeeeeeee.

FitnessGAF is actually generally nicer to stop by compared to when I was here last year. What happen to that really abrasive/asshole guy who used to post here. Peter I think? What would he think about all Ashodin's "whoooo I did a thing correctly maybe" and sweetiepies.

rage1973

495 DL is amazing to me just by itself, but 3x body weight, goddamn... impressive stuff, man.

Congratulations on that.

How long have you been lifting, if you don't mind my asking?
TY and I did about 1.5 year before my ACL replacement surgery so I took a year off and a year since then. Before that I have numerous years of gym time of doing crap like elliptical and curls.

ldcommando

Banned
FitnessGAF is actually generally nicer to stop by compared to when I was here last year. What happen to that really abrasive/asshole guy who used to post here. Peter I think? What would he think about all Ashodin's "whoooo I did a thing correctly maybe" and sweetiepies.

Petrie? Not saying that he is an asshole but man, he did make me lol more than a couple times with some of his replies. I miss him. If it is not him, ignore what I´ve just said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom