• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.
WOO!!

Made a new record on my deadlifts! Also good news, this makes like the 7th or 8th consecutive time I increased the weight each time I went without having to stall or deload. Right now I'm at 185 lbs. Yes, I know that's probably chump change compared to most of you guys, but I had to restart and practice my form multiple times so my progress was kind of stinted.

In any case, we're all gonna make it, guys! :D

Ride that deadlift gain train!

WOO!!

Made a new record on my deadlifts! Also good news, this makes like the 7th or 8th consecutive time I increased the weight each time I went without having to stall or deload. Right now I'm at 185 lbs. Yes, I know that's probably chump change compared to most of you guys, but I had to restart and practice my form multiple times so my progress was kind of stinted.

In any case, we're all gonna make it, guys! :D

Gainz are gainz brah. Yes we're all gonna make it

Shun

After a few months of no gym access and only running/swimming, I've made the stupid mistake of going back and lifting too fast because I thought I was comfortable with what I left off at rather than going back gradually.

Now I have slight stretch marks and I was wondering if you guys had any solutions. It's not a big deal since it's natural, but it's sort of bothering me.

J. Bravo

did 5/3/1 for bench today and loved it. first time i've flat benched in a while, much less had a good chest workout. now i just gotta find a great back workout not involving deadlifts.

Leeness

Ok, now I am able to concentrade on your post as well and not just drool shirtless MTP. :p

I think you might actually stress this whole working out and eating correctly a bit too much to be honest. I understand that you have a schedule, but try to see things outside of it. I also think you have looked really good, especially in your recent pics. My advice would be that relax, get better and also get those stress levels lower.

Also what comes to that dream of yours to lose 30 more pounds - it will remain a dream if you think of it in that way. If you see it as a possible goal, you will reach it. :D

I ended up not doing anything yesterday except icing my foot cause I couldn't put pressure on it :( Today I did seated yoga poses a bit, though. Tomorrow, strength yoga, then back to normal. My foot felt a bit better today already.

I have to stress it or I won't do it :(

Haha, I don't know if my body is meant to be under 130lbs. I don't think I have been since I was 10. I'd probably look malnourished at that point. But I guess that's the hip thing to be. But then I wouldn't be able to eat chocolate and fuck that. Sigh.

despire

So I'm maybe going over to calisthenics/bodyweight training from now on, at least for the near future. Me and my GF just got a new apartment closer to downtown Helsinki. We've been living in the suburbs in a relatively nice and large student apartment with a practically free gym right next to us.

But now we are moving to this super nice apartment which also means we need to change gyms. Now there are a couple of good gyms in downtown Helsinki, one of which is really close, the amazingly named Bodybuilding Club for Men (no women allowed!) and another one a bit farther away. My GF gets a free membership to the farther one from her work which is good but we would need to pay for my membership. Problem is that I don't think I have time and interest in traveling to that gym and back 3-4x week. Also I don't think my GF would want to go by herself if I went to the closer one (which is only for men). Also there's the issue of paying 20-30 euros per month of couse but it's not the main problem.

Anyway I don't think I have really time or energy to hit the gym for the next few weeks as we need to move and organize our stuff, deciding what we want to get rid of before moving.

I've always been fascinated by the amount of total body control the best bodyweight trainers have and have wanted to be able achieve stuff like handstand pushups and the human flag. Haven't yet decided what to do but I'm intrigued in going over to the BW-only side of training. Would save me a lot of money/time, while allowing me to practice super awesome moves.

How many here are doing calisthenics only? Any good sources besides Convict Conditioning 1&2, Al Kavadlo's books and reddit? Which program is the "best"?

ILoveBish

Glad I hit the gym tonight, did 440x2 and 440x1 on deadlift. Back on the keto train as of this morning so still transitioning back, but felt pretty strong. I have my food cooked and ready for the next 2 weeks, so just need to get rest and hit the gym proper.

So I'm maybe going over to calisthenics/bodyweight training from now on, at least for the near future. Me and my GF just got a new apartment closer to downtown Helsinki. We've been living in the suburbs in a relatively nice and large student apartment with a practically free gym right next to us.

But now we are moving to this super nice apartment which also means we need to change gyms. Now there are a couple of good gyms in downtown Helsinki, one of which is really close, the amazingly named Bodybuilding Club for Men (no women allowed!) and another one a bit farther away. My GF gets a free membership to the farther one from her work which is good but we would need to pay for my membership. Problem is that I don't think I have time and interest in traveling to that gym and back 3-4x week. Also I don't think my GF would want to go by herself if I went to the closer one (which is only for men). Also there's the issue of paying 20-30 euros per month of couse but it's not the main problem.

Anyway I don't think I have really time or energy to hit the gym for the next few weeks as we need to move and organize our stuff, deciding what we want to get rid of before moving.

I've always been fascinated by the amount of total body control the best bodyweight trainers have and have wanted to be able achieve stuff like handstand pushups and the human flag. Haven't yet decided what to do but I'm intrigued in going over to the BW-only side of training. Would save me a lot of money/time, while allowing me to practice super awesome moves.

How many here are doing calisthenics only? Any good sources besides Convict Conditioning 1&2, Al Kavadlo's books and reddit? Which program is the "best"?

I found calisthenics tough. The jump from diamond or uneven pushups to one arm is too much. Same for the handstand, and I think convict conditioning handstand progression is not detailed enough. The second step, which is the crow stand, needs a whole progression by itself, it isn't just one baby step towards the handstand pushup. You will need further investigation than what is in that book so you can always see some progress and not just fail the same movement over and over.

But it's cool and it's worth trying. I decided that when I can press my own body weight I can go into handstands and other complex movements better prepared. Sometimes I do diamond or close pushups when I have time, which is the one of the best exercises ever and work on my bridges after yoga. And then there is pullups and chinups which are fantastic and I do, but I'm working towards weighted chinups before even attempting the one-arm variation. It's a long road.

SeanR1221

1lb of beef, 2 cups rice, 2 slices of cheddar and a can of black beans.

Getting on MTP levels of food!....
but I'll probably split it between lunch and dinner ;___;

Faiz

Having one of those mornings where you realize you left a large portion of your (pwo) food at home on Wednesday because you are used to bringing it in on Monday but didn't this week because you were off Monday.

Gonna have to fill the void with some KIND Healthy Grains Protien clusters - bought 5 bags for $15 on sale at Kroger yesterday on lunch break (usually $5.30 a bag). Thank god I bought those for the office stash yesterday...

CrankyJay

Banned
Having one of those mornings where you realize you left a large portion of your (pwo) food at home on Wednesday because you are used to bringing it in on Monday but didn't this week because you were off Monday.

Gonna have to fill the void with some KIND Healthy Grains Protien clusters - bought 5 bags for $15 on sale at Kroger yesterday on lunch break (usually $5.30 a bag). Thank god I bought those for the office stash yesterday...

Happened to me a couple of weeks ago. Any change in your regular routine and you will tend to forget that kind of stuff. It happened to me because I had to change my daily routine to include going into my town hall before work to get a dog license. Forgot all my PWO shit, was pissed, so stopped at a grocery store on the way to work to find something to compensate for it.

I have read through her PDF cookbook and it is actually pretty decent, definitely a step in the right direction. It does not address meal or budget planning, but it does directly address the idea that you cannot cook quality affordable meals at home on a SNAP budget.

This is incredible! A lot of those meals are simple, quick, and affordable!

Ms. Brown also appreciates oatmeal like I do.

This is amazing, Pete. You should post this on OT. I know there are tons of Gaffers out there struggling day to day on ramen sandwiches. This is a step in the right direction.

My only gripe is the lack of meat options, but that would be because meat is expensive.

Fitness GAF I need some advice.

I pulled something in my neck and had to sit out for the last week and a half and see a doctor.

Does anyone know how long before the muscle wasting kicks in?

I intend to go back and go light when I have the green light from Doc, but I'd like to know how my lifts would be affected.

Pete Rock

I just don't understand people who try to dress fancy and wear make up for the gym... The whole idea of wearing make up to the gym is totally gross, since at least I sweat like a little piggy and need to swipe my whole face and neck with a towel constantly while working out.
Yes the most disturbing fact was certainly the presentation. It doesn't matter what I'm doing, if someone shows up looking out of place and starts doing nonsensical things it always draws my attention. I legitimately make a point to not ever stare at women or make them feel uncomfortable in any way, as I understand the perception of vulnerability has a lot of mental cues and inputs and I don't want to be lumped into those kinds of feelings for getting caught taking a sideways glance, etc.

There is a very attractive woman my age or a little older, whenever I do chin-ups in the power cage she "seems" to always get in the back-erector reverse sit-up apparatus directly across from my perfectly elevated view. Her ass is framed with the legs secured against the pads, I took a glance once and thought "nope nope nope". So I seriously just close my eyes and do my sets because I don't ever want her to get up and look me in the eyes and think "oh yeah he was staring at my cooch this whole time" lol.

Avoiding distraction is very important.

Does it correspond with your participation in FitGaf? ;-)
It gets the juices flowing!

So today I squatted and was trying to do a form check video but angle was bad, there were too many people around the rack... so I have a gif. in case anyone wonders, my feet are outside shoulder width, it's just a weird angle.
Looks really good to me, your back stays in basically the same position from the hips up the whole time and the bar moves in a vertical travel path with little deviation. I hope they feel as good as they look, keep it up! I squat the same way so I am biased, low bar and just past parallel. The only thing I do differently is keep my upper cervical a little more neutral through the lift by staring down, not really between my feet more so just where the wall and the floor meet a few feet in front of me. But if you feel no discomfort as you are doing them I see no reason to change.

honestly...why are there so many smith machines and only one squat rack

Also, I'm officially Benching/Squatting more weight now at 3x5 at 180lbs than I was when I was 210lbs about a year ago. That feels good.

For me, I just feel better, have a greater pump, and have more energy when consuming a good amount of carbs. Gonna stick with that for a bit. See what good can come out of it.

Too sweet me bro.

Btw Dick's online has a special $20 off purchases of $100 or more and free shipping. Both the Adipower and Romaleos are on sale there

Dope. Good looking out.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
honestly...why are there so many smith machines and only one squat rack

Also, I'm officially Benching/Squatting more weight now at 3x5 at 180lbs than I was when I was 210lbs about a year ago. That feels good.

Catering to the larger audience. Also good work man, keep it up.

sphinx

the piano man
Looks really good to me, your back stays in basically the same position from the hips up the whole time and the bar moves in a vertical travel path with little deviation. I hope they feel as good as they look, keep it up! I squat the same way so I am biased, low bar and just past parallel. The only thing I do differently is keep my upper cervical a little more neutral through the lift by staring down, not really between my feet more so just where the wall and the floor meet a few feet in front of me. But if you feel no discomfort as you are doing them I see no reason to change.

thanks for the input but my arm covers the fact that this is actually a high bar squat. not sure if that changes your opinion of it, for better or worse.

regarding the squat, I don't know why I decided to deload and to stop strength progression, my hand problem never affected the squat, at all, and yet for some reason I stopped and deloaded once I reached 112.5 kgs/247.5 lbs x 5.

this gif is just 80 kgs,/176 lbs and the whole set was for 7 reps.

I guess it had it psychological implications to have an injury that compromissed the press moves, I also stopped deadlift progression. My mind hasn't been set on strength for a while now, Oh well I guess I'll go back to that.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
God DAMN Sean those shirts you recommended me. My arms are EXPLODING out of these. I kind of feel like an asshole, it looks so ridiculous!

Count me in on this goddamn club

Recently had a break up. It was mutual but sometimes I feel lonely as fuck in my apartment :(

It's a summer away from all my friends so it's like, I wish I had that one person I could talk to constantly. It's toxic thoughts more than anything because I didn't feel the same way towards her that she did me, and I didn't want her to be led on.

Matugi, Sphinx and I will spearhead the "Lonely Lifting Club" where the only thing harder than iron are our hearts.

Or so we wish. :(

just remember guys

d58e814a21c4c0b18fdd998a49679e1b.jpg

Azulsky

So what is a good target heart rate for doing HIIT?

I have been using an indoor bike a few times a week. I basically cant pedal well over 75 rpm so I put the resistance up to make that hard.

I find based on the built in HRM which you use by grabbing two metal plated handles next to your butt that Im holding 170 to 175 bpm for about 20 minutes total over a 30 minute ride.

Should I be jacking up the resistance higher to get my Heart Rate in a certain zone or what?

Zoe

So what is a good target heart rate for doing HIIT?

I have been using an indoor bike a few times a week. I basically cant pedal well over 75 rpm so I put the resistance up to make that hard.

I find based on the built in HRM which you use by grabbing two metal plated handles next to your butt that Im holding 170 to 175 bpm for about 20 minutes total over a 30 minute ride.

Should I be jacking up the resistance higher to get my Heart Rate in a certain zone or what?

That's the right range, but you should only be maintaining that heart rate for short bursts of time. It's not HIIT if you don't have the second 'I'.

Edit: I think I misinterpreted that. That said, 20 minutes cumulatively is still probably longer than you need to do.

Bowser

I think it's generally recommended to get somewhere between 85-90% of your max heart rate. There are several formulas to figure your max heart rate - the ones I've seen are 220-[age] or 205-[.5*age].

So for me, that'd be either 220-26 = 194 or 205-13=192. 85-90% of that is around 164-173 bpm.

Also, if you're properly doing HIIT, there's no way you can last for 30-40 minutes. Even 20 minutes is pushing it. HIIT workouts generally last no more than 15 minutes, and a large portion of that is resting/low intensity. For example, one of my HIIT workouts is 30 seconds all-out sprint, 1 minute rest repeated 8-10 times. That whole workout lasts 12-15 minutes, of which I'm only actually sprinting for 4-5 minutes, but I'm absolutely gassed by the end of it.

Albo

I've replaced power cleans with bent over/pendlay rows on the starting strength routine in the OP, so should I do another set on friday or replace that set with something?

Monday
Squat - 3 sets of 5
Bench Press - 3 sets of 5
Deadlifts - 1 set of 5
Pull-Ups - 3 sets of 8-15

Wednesday
Squat - 3 sets of 5
Overhead Press - 3 sets of 5
Power Cleans - 5 sets of 3 (replace with Bent Over Rows - 3 set of 5)
Abdominal work

Friday
Squat - 3 sets of 5
Bench Press - 3 sets of 5
Deadlift - 1 set of 5
Bent Over Rows - 3 set of 5 (?)
Arm work, if desired

Maybe replace with 2-3 sets of dips or pull ups?

Azulsky

Ok I dont really know my max heart rate because I have asthma and I can feel the hand choking me at 180 so i backed off.

I think its supposed to be 220 - 25(age) so im not doing too bad considering my weight.

The only other metric I have from the bike is watts which varies from 150 to 180 and the METS which is 9-10. I dont understand METS really.

I really should have a physical done at some point.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
That's the right range, but you should only be maintaining that heart rate for short bursts of time. It's not HIIT if you don't have the second 'I'.

Edit: I think I misinterpreted that. That said, 20 minutes cumulatively is still probably longer than you need to do.

20 seconds of intensity, reaching a heart rate of 170-180 bpm, then resting for around a minute and rinse and repeat 5-10 times. I know as a beginner, 5 is my max right now cause god damn I'm I destroyed after it.

I've replaced power cleans with bent over/pendlay rows on the starting strength routine in the OP, so should I do another set on friday or replace that set with something?

Maybe replace with 2-3 sets of dips or pull ups?

Sure you can do that. That's what I did when I started out because power cleans fucked up my wrists due to shitty form probably. It's a little hard to master the movement without coaching.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Wasn't there a really great HIIT app that had audio cues and programs built in to make it easier?

Petrie

Banned
Figured out that based on where I am maxing on 5/3/1 at the moment, my total bench/dead/squat is 940lb. My goal was to hit 1,000 before the end of the year, and barring any type of injury, I'll be joining the 1/2 ton club soon enough. It has always felt so far away, but it truly is within my reach isn't it? Like t the point where I believe if I tested my 1RM, I could get there tomorrow. Holy shit.

I never thought it'd be so close.

Pete Rock

thanks for the input but my arm covers the fact that this is actually a high bar squat. not sure if that changes your opinion of it, for better or worse.
Thank you for the correction. I think as long as your torso stays in the same position it doesn't really "matter" as long as the entire range of motion feels good and works the intended muscle groups. From what I understand high bar is supposed to be a little more quad intensive due to the more upright nature of your torso and the deeper hole position. Maybe if you're feeling froggy one day try changing the bar position to see if it is more comfortable in a low bar position, as the rest of your movement seems to be more in line with that setup. But as they say, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

My mind hasn't been set on strength for a while now, Oh well I guess I'll go back to that.
DO IT! My squat has always been my holy grail lift that doesn't make me feel like an enormous marshmallow. Now that I am approaching heavier weights on bench than I was a year ago, I feel a lot less proud about squatting 250 for reps. DL getting up there too, finally. Going to film that tonight hopefully.

I think that whenever you have an injury it's important to stay physically busy and maintain training in a practical way, oriented around the largest muscle groups you can still exercise safely without exacerbating the current condition. Go get 'em sphinx!

just remember guys
lol a friend of mine posted a similar "end of relationship" macro to my FB page after I had really flipped the switch on my training. I thought it was unfair but still pretty damn hilarious. Have not kept up with my ex so I cannot confirm/deny her transition to bovine status and I do not care to suspect one way or another. Deep down inside, I hope she is a better and happier version of herself, just like I am now.

For all my ratchets and ratcheteers - deep house will cleanse your weary mind - fire up that loud and rest easy to this classic: You know there are... periods in ones life when... just the thought of being alone is really... devastating...

I actually do calisthenics / bodyweight work only, though I'm not super advanced at it or anything. I think the big thing for me was to take the same principals from lifting (lower reps, small steady progress) and apply it to that training as well. If my reps are getting too big for a specific exercise I try to change it somehow to make it harder. And I also try to slowly increase what I'm doing with each exercise every week at a minimum. I can't (and won't) claim that it's as effective for building strength as lifting in the gym, but I personally really enjoy it, plus the big benefit of being able to do it wherever I want.

Don't really have any more resources to point you at, you've listed most of the big ones already. The Convict conditioning guy does have an e-book about trying to build up mass with body weight exercises (I've not read it yet, so don't consider this an endorsement :)). Also this site starts with a bunch of unproven BS and I don't like the general site, but I do like the guide to Planches and Front Levers.

SeanR1221

God DAMN Sean those shirts you recommended me. My arms are EXPLODING out of these. I kind of feel like an asshole, it looks so ridiculous!

Hahaha told you. It's actually a reason I don't always wear them. They're almost too tight and it looks like you're showing off or trying too hard.

bidguy

Banned
you guys eat tuna from a can ? no fat no calories and 20grams of protein per 150 grams sounds pretty good but how do you guys eat this ?

tried eating but i cant get it down my throat blergh. flushed it down with some water and it was bearable

Bowser

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Hahaha told you. It's actually a reason I don't always wear them. They're almost too tight and it looks like you're showing off or trying too hard.

They almost made my arms sleep, they were so tight on my biceps. A million thanks.

SeanR1221

#teamtryhard

They're good for those times you just wanna look heeeooooooooge.

you guys eat tuna from a can ? no fat no calories and 20grams of protein per 150 grams sounds pretty good but how do you guys eat this ?

tried eating but i cant get it down my throat blergh. flushed it down with some water and it was bearable

Just blend it with some water and ice cubes

They almost made my arms sleep, they were so tight on my biceps. A million thanks.

What size did you get? And careful washing them. I only wash them on delicate, they can shrink a good bit.

sphinx

the piano man

What size did you get? And careful washing them. I only wash them on delicate, they can shrink a good bit.

2XL. It's a risky wear @ 6'7.

Glad you like it mang.

My favorites are probably still the banana republic T shirts. They don't fit as tight but the cotton material feels better IMO.

what shirts? is there any link to those? name? brand?

Leeness

Omg, I'm a mess.

First cold. Fix that. Then ankle. Getting a little better?

Last night my calf seizes up again and now my right leg is useless lmao.

I've been taking magnesium :(

Whatever...I don't think I'm meant to work out much this week. I'll keep trying to do sitting poses, but my right leg has taken a vacation. Hopefully it will return soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom