• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

paolo11

I'm sorry if I missed this but how does your diet look?

I would suggest Cardio once a week. Hill running or something to that effect.

Im 5"8 200lbs. I eat 2500 calories per day and 3000 on Fri to Sunday. I just want to be muscular. Don't want to lean. Can I get muscular?

Bowser

Im 5"8 200lbs. I eat 2500 calories per day and 3000 on Fri to Sunday. I just want to be muscular. Don't want to lean. Can I get muscular?

Your TDEE looks to be ~2200 calories (assuming a sedentary lifetstyle, which if you work a desk job as most people do, that's what you should use) according to this: http://www.1percentedge.com/ifcalc/ (I assumed 25 years of age). So if you're taking in 2500 M-Th, then 3000 F-Sun, you're eating at a weekly surplus of 6000 calories. You'll definitely put on muscle if you're lifting heavy weights 3x a week, but from what I've read of your posts, I don't think you are...seems like you're on your way to putting on a decent amount of weight honestly.

Albo

Sure you can do that. That's what I did when I started out because power cleans fucked up my wrists due to shitty form probably. It's a little hard to master the movement without coaching.

Should I still do that other set of rows on friday or do something else instead and what would be most suitable to replace it with?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Squats are the answer to everything. Question, what abdominal work would ya'll recommend?

Leg raises are the king. If you can work your way up to doing strict hanging leg raises for reps, you'll have incredibly strong abs.

paolo11

Your TDEE looks to be ~2200 calories (assuming a sedentary lifetstyle, which if you work a desk job as most people do, that's what you should use) according to this: http://www.1percentedge.com/ifcalc/ (I assumed 25 years of age). So if you're taking in 2500 M-Th, then 3000 F-Sun, you're eating at a weekly surplus of 6000 calories. You'll definitely put on muscle if you're lifting heavy weights 3x a week, but from what I've read of your posts, I don't think you are...seems like you're on your way to putting on a decent amount of weight honestly.

I do Cross fit workouts 3 days a week and do some cardio on the other days.

If I want to get muscular without sacrificing the foods I eat should I:

a) Weight lift 3 days a week
b) Cross fit 3 days a week

Sure you need to start a routine like 5/3/1 or starting strength and not do as much cardio. You might want to check out the nutrition thread to fix your diet if it needs some help. There are some great articles in the OP as well.

edit: You should go with option a if you want to keep your diet the same and get strong.

Bowser

I do Cross fit workouts 3 days a week and do some cardio on the other days.

If I want to get muscular without sacrificing the foods I eat should I:

a) Weight lift 3 days a week
b) Cross fit 3 days a week

If you want to get muscular, Option A. Do one of the routines in the OP (Starting Strength, Stronglifts 5x5 or Ice Cream Fitness), keep eating (but make sure it's not all junk - some is fine), and you'll pack on muscle.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Leg raises are the king. If you can work your way up to doing strict hanging leg raises for reps, you'll have incredibly strong abs.

another added to my list. i used to do leg raises like a mofo back when I was younger. it burns so hard.

Pete Rock

So it looks like I need to scrap my bench and restart my setup from scratch, it is so awful, I can't even post the video it is seriously shameful. My goal is to hit 225 3x5 with proper form by the end of the year. Baby steps. I did 205 x 14 on my AMRAP set last night but it is so fucked, I can't even count it. Ughhh.

Last year around this time I was doing conventional DL and snapped my shit up something fierce on my third rep of my third set of five @ 280. My low back rounded and I just wanted it to be over and I kept pulling with the back of my head and upper spine. Heard a pop and felt a click and immediately dropped to my knees and spent the next two weeks doing extreme amounts of yoga to make sure I didn't miss a workout, dropped the weight on DL and kept everything the same. The yoga part was easy because I know I injured the same disc I had problems with years ago, so I "knew what to do", although the mental shame and pain of putting myself back in that situation was more difficult to deal with than the actual pain itself. Ahhh well, live and learn.

About eight months ago I switched to sumo stance and it has felt a lot more comfortable as times goes on. I think my best 3x5 was at 325lbs but I switched to GSLP in that time and reset my DL low, so I could work back up incrementally and keep it higher than my squat sets. So I only go up by 5 on squats now and 10 on DL's and I try to keep the latter 40lbs heavier or so.

Here is my video from last night, AMRAP Sumo DL 284 lbs. They feel solid and I get a massive burn primarily where my hamstrings and my glutes meet, and a little bit into my lower back but not an uncomfortable amount. I just want to make sure I am going in the right direction and not totally fucking this up like I have been with my bench press, so any feedback is welcome. They are TNG and not reset on each rep as I find I spend an enormous amount of energy during the setup itself, but I might go back to doing them that way as that is how they are specified to be done in the GSLP book. I try to bounce as little as possible but I think there is no other way to negate that effect other than resetting each rep.

I setup with my heels a little outside shoulder width, with my feet angled at about 50' so a little more splayed out than on my squats. I stretch out vertically and focus on hinging only at my hips enough to get my grip set up. I only do mixed grip on my AMRAP set and find that it is a lot more useful to me than liquid chalk ever was. Then I try to pull all the slack out of the bar and put my body under tension before I break at the knees and bring my shins to the bar. Then I lean back to try and get that "float" before I actually pull, with the initial load stress or muscle burn beginning near the front of my quads. I try to unfold and fold back down at the same rate while keeping the bar against my legs the whole time.

If I go wider or rotate my feet/hips past 60' or so I definitely "tighten up" on the bar, as in my pelvis is a lot closer to it, but it feels shitty on my knees and my hips are way too low in this position, so I've just kind of "ended up" where I'm at now based on trying things too wide and too narrow and determining they feel bad. I am not 100% positive it is correct although it feels the best out of everything I have tried so far.

paolo11

If you want to get muscular, Option A. Do one of the routines in the OP (Starting Strength, Stronglifts 5x5 or Ice Cream Fitness), keep eating (but make sure it's not all junk - some is fine), and you'll pack on muscle.

Sure you need to start a routine like 5/3/1 or starting strength and not do as much cardio. You might want to check out the nutrition thread to fix your diet if it needs some help. There are some great articles in the OP as well.

edit: You should go with option a if you want to keep your diet the same and get strong.

What if I do both? 3 days per week Weight lifting and 2 days per week Crossfit? Would I see definitions on my Arms and Legs?

Also, I see small people who are not lean but have muscle on their abs. Can that happen to me? I don't have to lean out now do I?

Bowser

What if I do both? 3 days per week Weight lifting and 2 days per week Crossfit? Would I see definitions on my Arms and Legs?

Also, I see small people who are not lean but have muscle on their abs. Can that happen to me? I don't have to lean out now do I?

Quick question...why do you seem obsessed with Crossfit? It sounds like you're trying to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time. Unfortunately, while early on this is possible, at some point you're going to have to prioritize one over the other. To get real definition, you need to cut (i.e. eat at a caloric deficit). To build muscle mass, you need to eat at a surplus and lift weights.

I would not recommend doing 3 days a week of heavy weight lifting and adding in 2 days a week of whatever Crossfit workout you're doing. You can try it, but I think you're going to tax your body and possibly injure yourself.

paolo11

Quick questions...why do you seem obsessed with Crossfit? It sounds like you're trying to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time. Unfortunately, while early on this is possible, at some point you're going to have to prioritize one over the other. To get real definition, you need to cut (i.e. eat at a caloric deficit). To build muscle mass, you need to eat at a surplus and lift weights.

I would not recommend doing 3 days a week of heavy weight lifting and adding in 2 days a week of whatever Crossfit workout you're doing. You can try it, but I think you're going to tax your body and possibly injure yourself.

Crossfit actually made me stronger and it's fun.

I can start doing weights. What is the best routine for me? Should I go beginner route?

I'll tell you what I really want and give me the best advice. Sorry for many questions though.

In my current weight of 200 LBS, I want to have muscle definition with my whole body without losing weight. (200 lbs but cut and muscular) with strong cardio. Is that possible?

entremet

Man that cooking thread lol.

Excuses abound. Reminds me of people who make excuses about working out.

GAF must have a lot of high rollers, because if I ate out every meal, I'd be spending close to 800 bucks per month on food.

Petrie

Banned
Man that cooking thread lol.

Excuses abound. Reminds me of people who make excuses about working out.

GAF must have a lot of high rollers, because if I ate out every meal, I'd be spending close to 800 bucks per month on food.

I imagine for most of them it's like cereal for breakfast, fast food for lunch, and a pizza for dinner. The that pizza can be lunch the next day, etc, etc.

Either you're loaded or you aren't eating healthy at all that way though.

Faiz

Sure, just about anything will make you stronger at first. But generally speaking, crossfit isn't about training, it's excercise or competition depending on the context. Those beginner gains will run out much much faster doing crossfit than a dedicated training regimen.

I can start doing weights. What is the best routine for me? Should I go beginner route?

Yes. If you are interested in lifting as a means to increase strength and muscle mass, go the beginner route as detailed in the OP, or better still buy and read Starting Strength. The eBook is only $10 on amazon.

I'll tell you what I really want and give me the best advice. Sorry for many questions though.

In my current weight of 200 LBS, I want to have muscle definition with my whole body without losing weight. (200 lbs but cut and muscular) with strong cardio. Is that possible?

Without using a dedicated weight training program, it is virtually impossible. Success depends highly on where you are starting from, though. Your best bet is to focus initially on building strength and muscle mass. Without the muscle mass, burning off the fat is much more difficult.

paolo11

Sure, just about anything will make you stronger at first. But generally speaking, crossfit isn't about training, it's excercise or competition depending on the context. Those beginner gains will run out much much faster doing crossfit than a dedicated training regimen.

Yes. If you are interested in lifting as a means to increase strength and muscle mass, go the beginner route as detailed in the OP, or better still buy and read Starting Strength. The eBook is only $10 on amazon.

Without using a dedicated weight training program, it is virtually impossible. Success depends highly on where you are starting from, though. Your best bet is to focus initially on building strength and muscle mass. Without the muscle mass, burning off the fat is much more difficult.

Questions if I may. Can you clarify about the "where I am starting from part"?

If I go the lift weight training solely, within a few months ( I mean consistent weight training), I can see some changes on my arm and leg definitions?

why don't you want to lose weight? I'm the same height as you and when I was 200 lbs a couple years ago I looked ridiculously fat. I'm around 163 right now and I'm still trying to take pounds off.

Do you just not want to eat less?

paolo11

Ok, I wll send a picture, my friends.

Maybe later though. I need to take a pic right now. Hehehehe.

QUOTE=Pegosaurus;125378834]why don't you want to lose weight? I'm the same height as you and when I was 200 lbs a couple years ago I looked ridiculously fat. I'm around 163 right now and I'm still trying to take pounds off.

Do you just not want to eat less?[/QUOTE]

Eh, I tried eating less but I fall back a lot of times. It' a struggle to be honest. I am kinda sick and tired of eating less and eating right for a bit then after a few months I fall back. It's hard.

Teggy

Also, I've started eating peanut butter right out of the jar. For me it's easier to eat and less effort to prepare.

But should I be warned about any possible horrible consequences of doing such a thing?

Only that you might mistakenly eat the whole jar in one sitting.

Is it weird to eat out of the jar? I've done it my whole life

Bowser

Anyone ever tried nuts-n-more? High protein peanut and almond butters, featured on Shark Tank. I ordered the toffee crunch peanut butter as my cousin raves about it. Macros and ingredients look innocent enough:

91xDLSsVXCL._SL1500_.jpg

81vIrmWNozL._SL1500_.jpg

61mj%2BLhglgL._SL1500_.jpg

http://www.nuts-n-more.com/

Eh, I tried eating less but I fall back a lot of times. It' a struggle to be honest. I am kinda sick and tired of eating less and eating right for a bit then after a few months I fall back. It's hard.

since you're also posting the same question in the nutrition thread, I'll also reinforce here that your peanut butter, maple syrup, ice cream "protein" shakes are definitely not going to help you accomplish what you're trying to accomplish/

why don't you want to lose weight? I'm the same height as you and when I was 200 lbs a couple years ago I looked ridiculously fat. I'm around 163 right now and I'm still trying to take pounds off.

Do you just not want to eat less?

It is hard man, but if you stick with it it's really rewarding. Took me a few years to finally decide to clean up my eating altogether after a on again off again "dieting"

You should do whatever you think is best for you though.

Anyone ever tried nuts-n-more? High protein peanut and almond butters, featured on Shark Tank. I ordered the toffee crunch peanut butter as my cousin raves about it. Macros and ingredients look innocent enough:

http://www.nuts-n-more.com/

this looks pretty great. if anyone can vouch for it I would buy some. 5g of fiber netting 1g of carbs is fantastic to me.

I tried asking this in the nutrition thread but didn't get an answer, so i'll ask here? How do you guys sweeten plain greek yogurt without adding carbs?

paolo11

since you're also posting the same question in the nutrition thread, I'll also reinforce here that your peanut butter, maple syrup, ice cream "protein" shakes are definitely not going to help you accomplish what you're trying to accomplish/

HAHA, nah my friend. I actually have not tried those shakes. I just saw that menu in our gym.

Bowser

Profile looks legit. How expensive is it?
$11...hmmm

Yeah, they're not cheap relative to something like regular private label organic peanut butter which is usually like $5-6 a jar, but for specialty nut butters I think they're in line...well, definitely in line with specialty nut butter prices in NYC -__- lol

They're sold at GNC and on Amazon so you can find the more simple flavors (regular peanut and almond) for ~$8-9: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...more&sprefix=nuts-,aps&rh=i:aps,k:nuts-n-more

Bowser

I tried asking this in the nutrition thread but didn't get an answer, so i'll ask here? How do you guys sweeten plain greek yogurt without adding carbs?

I like to add a tbsp of peanut butter (which is usually no more than 3g net carbs), cinnamon, and maybe a little bit of protein powder. Honestly, I don't mind throwing in a few blueberries either, those carbs won't hurt that much.

edit: bleh should have combined these two posts :/

I like to add a tbsp of peanut butter (which is usually no more than 3g net carbs), cinnamon, and maybe a little bit of protein powder. Honestly, I don't mind throwing in a few blueberries either, those carbs won't hurt that much.

edit: bleh should have combined these two posts :/

I'll try that right now. Still haven't eaten breakfast yet and it's 1:30 lol

e: what protein powder do you use? is it flavored?

Bowser

I'll try that right now. Still haven't eaten breakfast yet and it's 1:30 lol

e: what protein powder do you use? is it flavored?

I have tried two different brands in a variety of flavors: Isopure Zero/Low Carb (Banana Cream and Dutch Chocolate) and Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey (Chocolate Mint, Double Rich Chocolate, Extreme Milk Chocolate, and Mocha Cappuccino). I also have MusclePharm Combat Powder in Vanilla and Cookies N' Cream on the way as I've heard good things about those two specific flavors.

My favorite out of all the ones I've tried so far has to be ON Gold Standard. Both the Double Rich Chocolate and Mocha Cappuccino flavors are great.

Excited to find a good Cookies N' Cream powder though, hoping the MusclePharm is it.

Faiz

Questions if I may. Can you clarify about the "where I am starting from part"?

If I go the lift weight training solely, within a few months ( I mean consistent weight training), I can see some changes on my arm and leg definitions?

"Where you are starting from" means your body composition now. How much fat vs how much muscle.

FE is right tho, post a pic of yourself now and a pic of someone with the physique you want to achieve.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I'm Team 200+

Still @ 280. I'll never, EVER be under 200.

I have tried two different brands in a variety of flavors: Isopure Zero/Low Carb (Banana Cream and Dutch Chocolate) and Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey (Chocolate Mint, Double Rich Chocolate, Extreme Milk Chocolate, and Mocha Cappuccino). I also have MusclePharm Combat Powder in Vanilla and Cookies N' Cream on the way as I've heard good things about those two specific flavors.

My favorite out of all the ones I've tried so far has to be ON Gold Standard. Both the Double Rich Chocolate and Mocha Cappuccino flavors are great.

Excited to find a good Cookies N' Cream powder though, hoping the MusclePharm is it.

Thanks I'll check these out

I just had some plain Greek yogurt with peanut butter and cinnamon and it was great so I'll do that from now on

Bowser

Thanks I'll check these out

I just had some plain Greek yogurt with peanut butter and cinnamon and it was great so I'll do that from now on

Glad I could help. The peanut butter really mellows out and takes some of the sharpness/edge off the taste, and the cinnamon just adds a nice sweet flavor. If it wasn't sweet enough you could throw in a bit of splenda/stevia/no-cal sweetener of choice as well.

Pete Rock

Here is the link. I just want to be like Vim Diesel or Kratos or sumthn.
Step 1: Read the OP, buy a copy of SS and read it front to back.

Step 2A: Start a strict IF diet with zero processed foods and zero empty carbohydrates. This will put you in a state of constant "body recomposition" where you incrementally gain muscle while incrementally losing fat.

Step 2B: Keep eating whatever you want and just worry about strength. When you look all inflated like the Michelin Man then you can start cutting and worrying about your diet.

These are the two paths available. Choose wisely. Notice that 2B feeds back into or defers to 2A eventually. Also Step 1 is not optional.

Faiz

http://imgur.com/yWlj7fG

Be patient with me and let me know.

Ok, first thing to accept is it's gonna take a while. Even Vin Diesel didn't look like Vin Diesel five years ago.

Second thing is, to followup on what was said before definitely get a copy of Starting Strength. Learn the basic compound lifts as it teaches them, do the program as is written.

You will likely achieve results faster by concerning yourself primarily with strength gains at first. Build the engine that burns the fuel. That means eating enough and sleeping enough to recover from lifting heavy weights. You will gain weight before you lose weight like this.

After you have developed a solid base of strength and increased your muscle mass, you can focus more on weight loss and getting lean to show off the muscle that you built.

Alternatively, diet wise, you can try an intermittent fasting approach from the outset for a constant but slow body recomposition. It can be rigorous, but many people find it to be flexible enough that it's easy to maintain. It's what I'm trying to do after getting back on the wagon from a year out of the gym and eating like shit. But as an absolute beginner, I'd follow the starting strength recommendations so you can make the most out of the newb gains while you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom