• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanR1221

Nvm

I suck at posting pics in Gaf.

yWlj7fG

Here is the link. I just want to be like Vim Diesel or Kratos or sumthn.

yWlj7fG

http://imgur.com/yWlj7fG

Be patient with me and let me know.

I'm about to drop some truth bombs so get in the shelter and then read this

Arnold once said you can't chizel a pebble. You are a pebble. You have little to no muscle on you.

Stop trying to fit in 5 days a week. You wanna be HEEEuge like kratos? You gotta pack on the muscle first.

Best way to do this will be with consistent compound lifting, sleeping, and eating a lot.

I'm not saying pig out on junk, but don't get bogged down in macros and calories and cutting right now. Just eat a lot. We can come up with diet plans a little later.

Focus on your lifts. If you're doing starting strength you will be adding weight every single session. It will add up FAST.

There should be no reason in a year you can't bench 185-225, squat 275-315 and deadlift 315-365

Bowser

BTW, a bit OT but what do you guys think of elite athletes like Bron and Melo cutting carbs out of their diet this summer? Seems insane to me and I can't imagine they'll continue with ultra low carb during the season - those are the types of dude who actually need a vast amount of carbs.

paolo11

Ok, first thing to accept is it's gonna take a while. Even Vin Diesel didn't look like Vin Diesel five years ago.

Second thing is, to followup on what was said before definitely get a copy of Starting Strength. Learn the basic compound lifts as it teaches them, do the program as is written.

You will likely achieve results faster by concerning yourself primarily with strength gains at first. Build the engine that burns the fuel. That means eating enough and sleeping enough to recover from lifting heavy weights. You will gain weight before you lose weight like this.

After you have developed a solid base of strength and increased your muscle mass, you can focus more on weight loss and getting lean to show off the muscle that you built.

Alternatively, diet wise, you can try an intermittent fasting approach from the outset for a constant but slow body recomposition. It can be rigorous, but many people find it to be flexible enough that it's easy to maintain. It's what I'm trying to do after getting back on the wagon from a year out of the gym and eating like shit. But as an absolute beginner, I'd follow the starting strength recommendations so you can make the most out of the newb gains while you can.

Thanks. So to clarify, don't worry about losing weight. Focus on gaining strength first.

I have some questions. Building muscle mass means my arms or legs will get definitions, right? I am not sure the difference between muscle mass and muscle definition.

Also, what is an intermittent fasting approach concering diet? How do you do it? What is the food intake per week when doing that?

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
I tried asking this in the nutrition thread but didn't get an answer, so i'll ask here? How do you guys sweeten plain greek yogurt without adding carbs?

I just throw it in a blender with a lot of fruits, whey protein powder and water. It actually isn't that bad if you chug it.

Arnold once said you can't chizel a pebble. You are a pebble. You have little to no muscle on you.

Stop trying to fit in 5 days a week. You wanna be HEEEuge like kratos? You gotta pack on the muscle first.

Best way to do this will be with consistent compound lifting, sleeping, and eating a lot.

I'm not saying pig out on junk, but don't get bogged down in macros and calories and cutting right now. Just eat a lot. We can come up with diet plans a little later.

Focus on your lifts. If you're doing starting strength you will be adding weight every single session. It will add up FAST.

There should be no reason in a year you can't bench 185-225, squat 275-315 and deadlift 315-365

I'm not even sure if my planet fitness can even have enough weights to go this high. We only have three bars and all of them are mechanical. Its pretty annoying when you wanna get form down and its forcing you to contort to a certain position. Only reason I'm at planet fitness is cause it is CHEAP as hell, 10 bucks a month? Sign me up. Might have to invest in another gym in the future.

SeanR1221

I just throw it in a blender with a lot of fruits, whey protein powder and water. It actually isn't that bad if you chug it.

I'm not even sure if my planet fitness can even have enough weights to go this high. We only have three bars and all of them are mechanical. Its pretty annoying when you wanna get form down and its forcing you to contort to a certain position. Only reason I'm at planet fitness is cause it is CHEAP as hell, 10 bucks a month? Sign me up. Might have to invest in another gym in the future.

Might have to? No you DO have to. That mechanical bar is a smith machine. Stop using it for compound lifts NOW. It's terrible for form.

BTW, a bit OT but what do you guys think of elite athletes like Bron and Melo cutting carbs out of their diet this summer? Seems insane to me and I can't imagine they'll continue with ultra low carb during the season - those are the types of dude who actually need a vast amount of carbs.

i thought about that this morning too. melo needed it because he just didn't look the part of an elite athlete and looked like he was carrying around baby weight or something.

functionally, i agree that they'll have to re-introduce carbs in once the season rolls around, lebron especially. i think he loses some of his physical advantage by losing that weight and presumably some strength. unless lebron's intent is to become lighter on his joints and change his game to become less of a driver and more of a shooter, then i'm not sure why he chose to cut the weight.

paolo11

Thank you. I will follow the advice. I will do starting strength.

Question about adding weights. What do you mean by adding weight every session? Is it like 1st day for 50lbs then next day go 55lbs?

SeanR1221

Thank you. I will follow the advice. I will do starting strength.

Question about adding weights. What do you mean by adding weight every session? Is it like 1st day for 50lbs then next day go 55lbs?

When you read starting strength you'll understand but basically...

+10 lbs for squats and deads per session

+5lbs for OHP and Bench per session

So if on Monday you...

squat 95lbs
Bench 45lbs

and then on Wednesday you...

Squat 105lbs
over head press 45lbs
Deadlift 135lbs

On friday you would...

Squat 115lbs
Bench 50lbs

The squat will add up REALLY fast. 30lbs a week is a lot.

Faiz

Thanks. So to clarify, don't worry about losing weight. Focus on gaining strength first.

I have some questions. Building muscle mass means my arms or legs will get definitions, right? I am not sure the difference between muscle mass and muscle definition.

No. "Definition" is determined by how much muscle mass you have, and how much fat tissue you have covering it up. Right now you have a lot of fat and very little muscle mass. The muscle mass you build through strength training is still going to be covered up by that fat you are carrying around. You may well lose some of it on SS but not a significant amount.

You will gain definition mainly by losing the fat that is covering up your musculature.

Also, what is an intermittent fasting approach concering diet? How do you do it? What is the food intake per week when doing that?

The basic gist is that you eat more on lifting days and eat less on rest days and get all of your calories for a day in an 8 hour feeding window. The other 16 hours you don't eat anything. There's more to it than that, but that's the basic explanation. More detailed information is available widely around the web, or others in the thread may have more time than I do ATM to go into it.

paolo11

When you read starting strength you'll understand but basically...

+10 lbs for squats and deads per session

+5lbs for OHP and Bench per session

So if on Monday you...

squat 95lbs
Bench 45lbs

and then on Wednesday you...

Squat 105lbs
over head press 45lbs
Deadlift 135lbs

On friday you would...

Squat 115lbs
Bench 50lbs

The squat will add up REALLY fast. 30lbs a week is a lot.

Nice. This is good.

I have a question. What do you mean by " Stop trying to fit in 5 days a week. " Does it mean do not work out 5 days a week?

SeanR1221

I have to give Paolo and Yams major credit.

New guys willing to learn. That attitude will get you far. A lot of new guys (including myself) were stubborn and wasted time bickering.

SeanR1221

Nice. This is good.

I have a question. What do you mean by " Stop trying to fit in 5 days a week. " Does it mean do not work out 5 days a week?

Exactly, stick to 3. It will seem light and easy at first, but when you're pushing a big squat 3x a week, you're going to look forward to those rest days.

Also note, Starting Strength has you doing Power Cleans.

I honestly wouldnt recommend them without a coach. A lot of guys replace them with Pendlay Rows

Faiz

Nice. This is good.

Yep. It's unnecessary at this point. Starting Strength will have you lifting three days a week. That's it. Eat right and sleep right (this has always been my biggest problem) and you will see plenty of gains.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
I have to give Paolo and Yams major credit.

New guys willing to learn. That attitude will get you far. A lot of new guys (including myself) were stubborn and wasted time bickering.

We got great people here willing to teach us!

Gym memberships are +$300 for a year for the really nice places... God damn it. I have to travel at least 40 minutes to my alma mater, will do it for the lifting, when I find the money pretty soon.

Yep. It's unnecessary at this point. Starting Strength will have you lifting three days a week. That's it. Eat right and sleep right (this has always been my biggest problem) and you will see plenty of gains.

I cannot bold this any stronger. Please, please, please have a schedule for sleep. When I started going to bed between 9:30 and 10:30, I've been waking up with a lot more energy and feeling less sore from my workouts. When I go off that schedule (family issues or hanging out with people) I usually sleep around midnight and I feel horrible the next day. Sleep right and drink a lot of water.

Faiz

I cannot bold this any stronger. Please, please, please have a schedule for sleep. When I started going to bed between 9:30 and 10:30, I've been waking up with a lot more energy and feeling less sore from my workouts. When I go off that schedule (family issues or hanging out with people) I usually sleep around midnight and I feel horrible the next day. Sleep right and drink a lot of water.

I have a two year old that still relishes getting up between 1 and 4 many nights. He's the light of my life but also the bane of my existence right now haha. Everytime he wakes up in the middle of the night when it's my turn to attend to his needs i wave goodbye to all my gains. Not much can be done about it right now though. Hopefully soon he starts sleeping more consistently.

paolo11

Exactly, stick to 3. It will seem light and easy at first, but when you're pushing a big squat 3x a week, you're going to look forward to those rest days.

Also note, Starting Strength has you doing Power Cleans.

I honestly wouldnt recommend them without a coach. A lot of guys replace them with Pendlay Rows

Super thanks to all of you about this.

I need to be open with you guys.

I tried doing running for a year, my body looks stupid.

I did P90x for 6 months and keep on failing and I get stouter due to bad diet.

I did cross fit for a year. While I got stronger, my body still looks fat and peebly.

My diet sucks. You know what my real diet is...

I eat less than 2000 calories for 3 days then eat a lot of food, buffets and stuff on Fridays to Sundays. I was a bilge eater. And you know us Filipinos love to eat. I love rice.

I don't have to be necessary be like Kratos or Vin Diesel but I want to be similar like that. I want to have an improvement on my body looks and strength before end of this year.

I love eating potatoes btw and sweets. I should get rid of sweets slowly.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
I have a two year old that still relishes getting up between 1 and 4 many nights. He's the light of my life but also the bane of my existence right now haha. Everytime he wakes up in the middle of the night when it's my turn to attend to his needs i wave goodbye to all my gains. Not much can be done about it right now though. Hopefully soon he starts sleeping more consistently.

Well man, you can't help it then haha. Not all of your gains are lost but at least your working towards it!

Plus, I just found the god-tier of grains, quinoa. Such protein, much fiber. Trader Joe's has loafs of quinoa bread for $4. A tad pricey but might try it out and see how it mixes with peanut butter.

I did cross fit for a year. While I got stronger, my body still looks fat and peebly.

I eat less than 2000 calories for 3 days then eat a lot of food, buffets and stuff on Fridays to Sundays. I was a bilge eater. And you know us Filipinos love to eat. I love rice.

I don't have to be necessary be like Kratos or Vin Diesel but I want to be similar like that. I want to have an improvement on my body looks and strength before end of this year.

I was there man, its tough but after a couple of weeks, it becomes routine. The first bold, I recommend you eat 2000 a day for now and see how you feel. If you still feel hungry throughout the day, add another 200-300 calories.

The second bold, rice is pretty iffy. I had to cut it out since being hispanic, we eat the stuff daily throughout the week. Its a fast digesting carb from what I read and you want slow digesting carbs (which are high in fiber if I'm not mistaken) and last you through the day without getting hungry. Switch to brown rice, your stomach will thank you.

The last bold, you can still eat potatoes, just the right ones. Eat sweet potatoes instead (which I think are called yams, heh in my name too). Its a root and a slow digesting carb, 2 of them with a protein and that is a good lunch that will last you until dinner. Now for the sweets, that is just your body craving it. You can bypass that by just making a fruit smoothie once every 2-3 days and those urges should dissipate. Additionally, with cutting down on grains (which is probably carbs in your diet) you should feel less of an urge to taste sugary drinks. Hope this helps you start working out!

CrankyJay

Banned

I still think you can indulge in rice, but it's gotta be measured out, done at the right time of the day along with other nutrition in conjunction with lifting/(and maybe cardio)...just gotta work out what you put in.

Faiz

Sounds like you have a handle on what you need to do. Loving to eat is a good thing when it comes to building muscle. You absolutely will need to eat a lot to build the muscle you want, but too many sweets is counterproductive. So yeah eliminate the sweets as best you can, eat food that actually provides nutrition. Potatoes are actually really great nutritionally.

You'll be surprised how much better you look with some more meat on your shoulders and chest. Running is great for cardiovascular health and efficiency but without the muscle on your bones you still look underdeveloped because it isn't the right stimulus to create the adaptation you need. Crossfit is somewhat similar - good exercise and an amazing test of overall fitness in a competitive environment, but it's not programming that will create a significant and sustainable adaptation of your musculature.

Go forth and lift.

Bowser

Well man, you can't help it then haha. Not all of your gains are lost but at least your working towards it!

Plus, I just found the god-tier of grains, quinoa. Such protein, much fiber. Trader Joe's has loafs of quinoa bread for $4. A tad pricey but might try it out and see how it mixes with peanut butter.

Best bread I've found: Martin's 100% Whole Wheat Potato Bread.

140 cal, 2g fat, 20g net carbs, 12g protein in two slices. Tastes amazing as well.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Best bread I've found: Martin's 100% Whole Wheat Potato Bread.

140 cal, 2g fat, 20g net carbs, 12g protein in two slices. Tastes amazing as well.

Yooooooo, that sounds good too. I might try both and choose between the two. The quinoa bread has 170 cal, 3 g fat, 20 net carbs, 14 g protein in two slices. Now that I wrote that out, I need to find that whole wheat potato bread, in the near Walmart which is an 1 and 30 minutes away ;_;.... Time to find another store!

Edit:

YES TARGET SELLS IT!

Zero2kz

I tried asking this in the nutrition thread but didn't get an answer, so i'll ask here? How do you guys sweeten plain greek yogurt without adding carbs?

Protein powder. If you have good tasting protein powder (I use MTS Whey Cookies and Cream or Caramel Sutra), it makes a pretty bitchin sweet pudding.

paolo11

I was there man, its tough but after a couple of weeks, it becomes routine. The first bold, I recommend you eat 2000 a day for now and see how you feel. If you still feel hungry throughout the day, add another 200-300 calories.

The second bold, rice is pretty iffy. I had to cut it out since being hispanic, we eat the stuff daily throughout the week. Its a fast digesting carb from what I read and you want slow digesting carbs (which are high in fiber if I'm not mistaken) and last you through the day without getting hungry. Switch to brown rice, your stomach will thank you.

The last bold, you can still eat potatoes, just the right ones. Eat sweet potatoes instead (which I think are called yams, heh in my name too). Its a root and a slow digesting carb, 2 of them with a protein and that is a good lunch that will last you until dinner. Now for the sweets, that is just your body craving it. You can bypass that by just making a fruit smoothie once every 2-3 days and those urges should dissipate. Additionally, with cutting down on grains (which is probably carbs in your diet) you should feel less of an urge to taste sugary drinks. Hope this helps you start working out!

I know. I actually love mashed potatoes. I don't have to put cheese or cream on it. Just potatoes with a little pepper and salt is fine with me. Yams are good.

This is what I will do starting today.

a) Start Strength will be my workout routine with added weights

b) Eat more. No more counting calories. Just eat meats, drink milk, maybe eat a cup of rice?

c) Less sweet as possible. I'll be honest. I only eat sweets on the weekends (damn those Boba drinks, Nutella and Ice cream).

Before December, I will take another picture of myself. I want to thank you guys again for the honesty.

Bowser

Man I hate going to Walmart but I'm gonna have to find that...

Yooooooo, that sounds good too. I might try both and choose between the two. The quinoa bread has 170 cal, 3 g fat, 20 net carbs, 14 g protein in two slices. Now that I wrote that out, I need to find that whole wheat potato bread, in the near Walmart which is an 1 and 30 minutes away ;_;.... Time to find another store!

Edit:

YES TARGET SELLS IT!

Yeah it's fairly widely available at most grocery stores, Target, Wal-Mart, etc. And BakedYams, unless I'm mistaken, I think the Trader Joe's Quinoa bread has 27g net carbs and 7g protein per 2 slices, not 14, so Martin's is a clear winner:

frenchtoast4.jpg

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
I know. I actually love mashed potatoes. I don't have to put cheese or cream on it. Just potatoes with a little pepper and salt is fine with me. Yams are good.

This is what I will do starting today.

a) Start Strength will be my workout routine with added weights

b) Eat more. No more counting calories. Just eat meats, drink milk, maybe eat a cup of rice?

c) Less sweet as possible. I'll be honest. I only eat sweets on the weekends (damn those Boba drinks, Nutella and Ice cream).

Before December, I will take another picture of myself. I want to thank you guys again for the honesty.

You wanna bulk up, drink milk man, it does wonders.

FluffyPeacefulHochstettersfrog.gif

On a more serious note, seriously drink milk. Also, get whey protein powder, you're gonna need the extra protein cause eating a lot of meat is not feasible in the beginning. Try Gold's protein.

Also for rice, if you're not eating it everyday than yeah its fine. Only eat it on the days you work out and not a cup, I think that's a bit much, half a cup is fine. It grows in water and becomes nice and fluffy.

Switch nutella for peanut butter, gotta do it one way or another.

Yeah it's fairly widely available at most grocery stores, Target, Wal-Mart, etc. And BakedYams, unless I'm mistaken, I think the Trader Joe's Quinoa bread has 27g net carbs and 7g protein per 2 slices, not 14, so Martin's is a clear winner:

frenchtoast4.jpg

Damn you right! Martin's is the choice! Time to go to Target tomorrow.

Chocobro

Well fuck.

Also paolo, make sure you have form down first before adding on weights. If you don't have the mobility to do it properly, work on your mobility then. You don't want to add on weight too early when form may be compromised. Record your lifts, upload them to YouTube (unlisted if you want), and link them to us so we can critique and make sure you're doing them properly.

paolo11

Well fuck.

Also paolo, make sure you have form down first before adding on weights. If you don't have the mobility to do it properly, work on your mobility then. You don't want to add on weight too early when form may be compromised. Record your lifts, upload them to YouTube (unlisted if you want), and link them to us so we can critique and make sure you're doing them properly.

Thanks. Squats are done as back squats, right?

Also, I can only do 3 pull ups but I will practice it.

Faiz

Well fuck.

Quoting for added emphasis.

Form is the most important thing. Don't just start starting strength today FIRST BUY AND READ THE BOOK. There are extensive sections on the mechanics of each of the lifts and reading them WILL HELP YOU IMMEASURABLY. Doing a squat isn't just as simple as picking up the bar and going down. A bench press isn't just laying down on the bench and pushing up.

Read the book. Learn the forms correctly. Start with just the bar as the book describes. Doing so is the best investment into your weightlifting career you can make.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends

Also, there are two forms, high and low bar. Someone posted a picture showing the difference between the two but be sure not to do a hybrid of the two.

Quoting for added emphasis.

Form is the most important thing. Don't just start starting strength today FIRST BUY AND READ THE BOOK. There are extensive sections on the mechanics of each of the lifts and reading them WILL HELP YOU IMMEASURABLY. Doing a squat isn't just as simple as picking up the bar and going down. A bench press isn't just laying down on the bench and pushing up.

Read the book. Learn the forms correctly. Start with just the bar as the book describes. Doing so is the best investment into your weightlifting career you can make.

Name of book?

paolo11 - don't worry man, i'm filipino too (ano ba, pare?)
i don't know how to speak tagalog
, and it was hard to give up the rice/sinigang/tocino + fried eggs, but i felt better eating more vegetables and just cleaner overall.

but listen to everyone here, we're all trying to help you and prevent you from going to the gym without a clear purpose/goal in mind; stick to starting strength and you'll see improvements in your body, and work that diet out (no more polvoron!). when in doubt, record yourself and post it here for advice/critique. good luck.

Ezekiel Bread - Sprouted Wheat Bread
ezekiel-bread.jpg

Crumbles extremely easily, but it's health as fuxk, so that's acceptable.
KEEP IT FRIGERATED!!

Got get my nutrients where I can in as a VEGAIN (Vegan)!

If you do buy regular-ass bread make sure it doesn't contain 'High Fructose Corn Syrup' (HFCS). I don't know the science behind HFCS, but usually it's a sign of a low quality product.

paolo11

paolo11 - don't worry man, i'm filipino too (ano ba, pare?)
i don't know how to speak tagalog
, and it was hard to give up the rice/sinigang/tocino + fried eggs, but i felt better eating more vegetables and just cleaner overall.

but listen to everyone here, we're all trying to help you and prevent you from going to the gym without a clear purpose/goal in mind; stick to starting strength and you'll see improvements in your body, and work that diet out (no more polvoron!). when in doubt, record yourself and post it here for advice/critique. good luck.

Thank you, kaibigan. I will rid myself of sweets first.

MrMuscle

Hope everybody has had a good week. My week has been good when it comes to work outs and nutrition. I hit the gym 5 times a week as planned and went for a 30-45 minute stroll on my off days. Full body workouts as much as possible, switching between volume and strength. I make sure to use auto regulation to prevent getting over worked and i my nutrition is my highets priority.

Keeping my strength and conditioning on par while slowly increasing my calories is my plan now. I prefer to be shredded so we will see how much i feel like gaining. But i must say im loving where i am at right now.

A9F399BA-6F6B-4F50-9B0F-EE7FC2828FDB_zpsa1eohobc.jpg
50A27C67-F051-4AEC-9E98-063DF1D91688_zpsw2q4vwkw.jpg
FB9E08D0-BA5B-48E3-9EEB-F3D54D9BDB5F_zpsvt511hvn.jpg

So uh, I have a dumb question.

I just got contacts for the first time in my life. Never worn glasses or anything. Is it okay to workout in them? lol

Couple of things I'm worried about. Getting sweat in my eye (this happens all the time), and them falling out.

Enlighten me my perfectly sighted brethren.

Ezekiel Bread - Sprouted Wheat Bread
ezekiel-bread.jpg

Crumbles extremely easily, but it's health as fuxk, so that's acceptable.
KEEP IT FRIGERATED!!

Got get my nutrients where I can in as a VEGAIN (Vegan)!

If you do buy regular-ass bread make sure it doesn't contain 'High Fructose Corn Syrup' (HFCS). I don't know the science behind HFCS, but usually it's a sign of a low quality product.

breh, didn'y anyone tell you HFCS is completely safe? sugar is sugar, your body can't tell the difference!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWVFVNpEJFw&index=3&list=UUyWdqVwxmtJZs6R5aB5-fcg

these commercials from a few years ago are so fucking ridiculous.

Chocobro

Yeah. High-bar (or the Olympic) back squats and low-bar back squats; you don't do front or overhead squats in the program. You can easily read about the differences between the two with a simple Google search or watch YouTube videos. Here's a picture from the SS book of a few variations of the (barbell) squats.
I will say that, in general, high-bar back squats will be harder to progress in and requires more mobility than the low-bar back squats.

Don't worry about not being able to do a lot of pull-ups. I was only able to do 1 back in August '13 when I started and I was able to do 5 a few months ago. It takes time.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
So uh, I have a dumb question.

I just got contacts for the first time in my life. Never worn glasses or anything. Is it okay to workout in them? lol

Couple of things I'm worried about. Getting sweat in my eye (this happens all the time), and them falling out.

Enlighten me my perfectly sighted brethren.

You'll be fine. I went back to glasses. Fucking hate contacts. Sweat in the eye won't hurt em.

paolo11

Yeah. High-bar (or the Olympic) back squats and low-bar back squats; you don't do front or overhead squats in the program. You can easily read about the differences between the two with a simple Google search or watch YouTube videos. Here's a picture from the SS book of a few variations of the (barbell) squats.
I will say that, in general, high-bar back squats will be harder to progress in and requires more mobility than the low-bar back squats.

Don't worry about not being able to do a lot of pull-ups. I was only able to do 1 back in August '13 when I started and I was able to do 5 a few months ago. It takes time.

Nice. How's your progress going? Are you trying to bulk up or lose weight?

Vol5

Pretty much this. I'm hitting those numbers after just a year (skipped a few weeks here and there and was out for a month with back injury) and I didn't really hammer the protein shakes; just eat decent food & cut the junk. It's about getting in the gym 3 days a week and busting your balls. And trust me, when you on SS (or the routine as detailed in the OT) and adding on 5/10 pounds a session, your balls will be busted every week. Keep it consistent, nail form and you will grow.

Chocobro

Nice. How's your progress going? Are you trying to bulk up or lose weight?

Progress has been slow for me, I had a few setbacks over the year. I was still going to university for my chemical engineering degree so I had a lot of work even if it was my last year. The university gym closed for a week or two here and there for holidays and I had important exams here and there; I lost a bit of strength during those times. I also had to take a five week break not too long ago because I had some discomfort in my tailbone region and I'm still waiting for my wrist to recover. I'm currently working back up to my previous squat and DL numbers while OHP and BP have to wait until my wrist is back to normal.
As for numbers: I started with just the barbell, so 45lbs. My peak weights were 5x165lb squat; 5x180lb deadlift; 4x90lb OHP; 5x110lb BP. Still 7 chin-ups and now 5 pull-ups (from 1).

I'm still bulking I guess; in a sense that I'm eating more than I was before. I'm 5'8" and I was 130-133lb when I started and now I'm 145-150lbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom