• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, let me clarify. I posted in a huff last night after looking at my nasty fat ass in a mirror (really have to get rid of all mirrors...).

I lost weight before by doing 1200/day and working out 3 or so hours a day. I would lose maybe 1-2lbs a month doing this. When it slowed down to zero, then I'd use 500/day and 4 hours of working out to jump start it back.

See above, I have no access to a gym. :( I can get heavier hand weights but that's about it.

I have talked to a doctor before and done bloodwork. Nothing. Doctor was just like "well, that's weird. Keep at it, I guess? :/"

Also, I maintained the weight loss for two or three years, even through working at a fast food-ish restaurant. It was only after long school hours then a job with long transit = no time to work out = fat as fuck.

I do what I can with no gym. Squats everyday. :(

Sigh, according to MFP, my net calories a day is approximately 550-600 after exercise. It's not enough...

Highlight the bolded because forgive me miss, but you sound ridiculous and your doctor is enabling bad health practices.

Since a gym isn't an option, you can always buy some dumbbells and do the exact same workouts that the fitness bros do at the gym. It'll be even more beneficial to you because if your concern is to lose fat, the absolute best way to do it is by weight training, and once you incorporate it into your regiment, you will shed those lbs your desperately want off your body.

Look into a kettle ball. Those things are a godsend for full body weight regiments.

Edit: I'm not picking on you because I like it. I'm concerned that your drastic lifestyle change is gonna do more damage to your body =/

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
That's my issue with 'em too bruh; Fucked Wrist, Shoulders Killed & Never Super Heavy!
Bingo! Fuck front squats. My delts aren't big fans of supporting 100s of pounds on a 2 inch surface area. It kills. They're not necessarily anyway. I love the movement and the effectiveness at which they target my quads but I pass.

Leeness

Also, Leeness, if it feels like people in here are dog-piling on you, I want you to know that everyone here is just looking to help. I'm only saying this preemptively, as I know in the past sometimes people (including myself) make the mistake of thinking they're being attacked when really everyone is just trying to be helpful. With that said, I essentially agree with the opinion of the masses; 4 hours of working out a day plus a 500 calorie diet is damn near suicidal and is not sustainable. I mean, think about it, is that the life you'd want to live? There has to be a better way to go about reducing your body fat than starving/over-working your body. I know it seems counter-intuitive, but I'd speculate something closer to 1,200-1,800 calories a day (this will vary based on your height, age, and some other factors) is what you should be eating for weight loss coupled with weight training and perhaps short-duration cardio.

I don't think people are picking on me! I appreciate people giving advice. I just unfortunately can't do gym right now.

I'm not doing 500/day, 4 hour work outs right now. I'm doing 1200/cals, 40 - 1 hour. I'm considering at least upping my work outs to all of my free time though :/ and if I'm going to work out that much, I may as well do my strength work out more than cardio.

Height is 5'4", age is 26. I guess I'm not going by weight since I don't have a scale, but I want to be visibly smaller (let's say 2-3 inches off my waist) before September, but after my first month, I know that's not going to happen lol. At this point, even .25 of an inch would be great. Or, not getting fatter. That would be great. If I can manage to not gain weight in the next few months, that would be fantastic.

Highlight the bolded because forgive me miss, but you sound ridiculous and your doctor is enabling bad health practices.

Since a gym isn't an option, you can always buy some dumbbells and do the exact same workouts that the fitness bros do at the gym. It'll be even more beneficial to you because if your concern is to lose fat, the absolute best way to do it is by weight training, and once you incorporate it into your regiment, you will shed those lbs your desperately want off your body.

Look into a kettle ball. Those things are a godsend for full body weight regiments.

Edit: I'm not picking on you because I like it. I'm concerned that your drastic lifestyle change is gonna do more damage to your body =/

Doctor wasn't enabling, I never told them exactly what I was doing :p

I have to save up to make any big purchases right now :( how heavy are we talking? My 5lbs hand weights are as strong as I get for reps lol

What kind of exercise do you do with a medicine ball?

Don't worry , I can't eat under 1200 or so right now, I wouldn't be able to work. I can up my workouts though. Which I will probably do starting next week.

Just get your BMR/TDEE, pick a reasonable deficit and go from there. Undereating is only going to make it easier to gain weight later on and harder to maintain your goal weight so I'd stop doing that as soon as possible.

I have. "Reasonable" for me doesn't work. Lol

Ashodin

Wooh really feel the whole body ache from squats yesterday. Shit is legit. Also going to drop another pound before week's end :)

Leeness

Leeness you ever look into keto diet?

I've been doing low carb, though I guess I have to give up berries if I really want to get it right ;_; probably should also change my low carb meals and get rid of all sauces on meat and just have plain meat. No more Asian beef meal. :(

But I've gotten rid of bread, pasta, rice, anything wheat.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I've been doing low carb, though I guess I have to give up berries if I really want to get it right ;_;

But I've gotten rid of bread, pasta, rice, anything wheat.

You may want to try keto for a month, but be super super fucking strict. Find strength in the limitations. Reduce eating to a function, not something that gives any pleasure. It works for me. Focusing on the blandest shit, being 100% honest about everything I eat, no cheat days - some people respond well to that, and that's what works for me.

It may be worth looking in to.

Leeness

You may want to try keto for a month, but be super super fucking strict. Find strength in the limitations. Reduce eating to a function, not something that gives any pleasure. It works for me. Focusing on the blandest shit, being 100% honest about everything I eat, no cheat days - some people respond well to that, and that's what works for me.

It may be worth looking in to.

Will do.

Food is my enemy. :/

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Will do.

Food is my enemy. :/

If you need any suggestions to have someone take a look at what you have planned, let me know. I lived the dream (nightmare) for quite some time and so have a few others here like ILoveBish and more. Keto Team my friend.

Matugi

Headed to the beach today for a much needed vacation. Not hitting the weights for a week, hitting the links instead. Gonna keep up the EC stack but definitely staying hydrated and gonna do my best to keep my diet in check, but obviously I'm only looking to maintain and not drop while I enjoy good ole (trashy),Myrtle Beach

With regards to front squats I'm not sure how I'm so well adapted to tolerate the pain. Maybe this is where having short arms help? Not sure. The biggest risk I find is that if you unrack and rerack poorly you put yourself at great risk for pulling your lat. I've done it several times :(

Doctor wasn't enabling, I never told them exactly what I was doing :p

I have to save up to make any big purchases right now :( how heavy are we talking? My 5lbs hand weights are as strong as I get for reps lol

What kind of exercise do you do with a medicine ball?

Don't worry , I can't eat under 1200 or so right now, I wouldn't be able to work. I can up my workouts though. Which I will probably do starting next week.

I would suggest making the purchase for one of those dumbbell sets that go up to 25 lbs.

I think they're like 30-40 dollars, at least near me in NYC.

With a medicine ball, you can do lots of core workout:

http://www.menshealth.com/fitness/ultimate-medicine-ball-workout

With a kettle ball, you'll sculpt your muscles in way you didn't think of, and it's pretty fun to use and build a regiment around:

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitness/kettlebell-workout

If you want a good, quick, and cheap breakfast, 2 packets of instant oatmeal will keep you full all morning. Plus 2 packets plus milk = 550 Kcals(estimated)

That allows you to do a small lunch and a modest dinner.

Leeness

If you need any suggestions to have someone take a look at what you have planned, let me know. I lived the dream (nightmare) for quite some time and so have a few others here like ILoveBish and more. Keto Team my friend.

A keto calculator says I should have 25g carbs, 65g protein and 110g fat. What do I eeeeeeeat to get that much fat.

No more berries :(

I would suggest making the purchase for one of those dumbbell sets that go up to 25 lbs.

I think they're like 30-40 dollars, at least near me in NYC.

With a medicine ball, you can do lots of core workout:

http://www.menshealth.com/fitness/ultimate-medicine-ball-workout

With a kettle ball, you'll sculpt your muscles in way you didn't think of, and it's pretty fun to use and build a regiment around:

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitness/kettlebell-workout

If you want a good, quick, and cheap breakfast, 2 packets of instant oatmeal will keep you full all morning. Plus 2 packets plus milk = 550 Kcals(estimated)

That allows you to do a small lunch and a modest dinner.

Thanks, will look into buying those.

No oatmeal!

MjFrancis

How often do people have days where it just ain't happening?
I tend to have one, maybe two days a month where it abso-fucking-lutely ain't happening. There's another two days of weaksauce, a whole bunch a days where I'm marching along just fine, and 2-3 days where I am absolutely killing it in the weight room.

It all averages out. Bad days happen. Today sucked noodles for me. I did great on Wednesday and last Friday I killed it. Tomorrow morning I'll start fresh and do much better.

I remind myself that it's natural for training quality to oscillate. Progress is incremental, with occasional setbacks and hiccups along the way.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
A keto calculator says I should have 25g carbs, 65g protein and 110g fat. What do I eeeeeeeat to get that much fat.

No more berries :(

Nuts. Meats. Unflavored Fage yogurt. Protein powder. Cashews are dope, watch the carb content (not much but if you eat cashews like I do, it adds up) - unsalted almonds. Eggs. You can make it easy.

Anyone have a good outline for arm work and for ab work in the starting strength regiments?

I've been using ab ripper x for ab work and curls/kickbacks/farmer carry for arm work.

Leeness

Nuts. Meats. Unflavored Fage yogurt. Protein powder. Cashews are dope, watch the carb content (not much but if you eat cashews like I do, it adds up) - unsalted almonds. Eggs. You can make it easy.

That's what I eat already. :p

Nuts, meats, cottage cheese instead of yogurt, protein powder, almonds, eggs.

Berries tho. :( Bye strawberries.

I lost weight before by doing 1200/day and working out 3 or so hours a day. I would lose maybe 1-2lbs a month doing this. When it slowed down to zero, then I'd use 500/day and 4 hours of working out to jump start it back.

You've probably been dieting too long and your metabolism has slowed down a lot. You also sound pretty damn stressed about it which is probably jacking up your stress hormones and causing you to hold on to more water. Try taking two weeks at maintenance calories (that means if you exercise eat to make up the difference! Maintenance = MAINTENANCE) and then go back to dieting.

This applies to ALL of you who've been dieting for at least 2 months and are seeing slowdowns.

Read these articles by Lyle McDonald:

The Full Diet Break

Why Big Caloric Deficits and Lots of Activity Can Hurt Fat Loss

I think I'm 10-15 lbs away from what I want to look like before hopping back on the strength and gain train

StrongFat2StrongFit

Leeness

You've probably been dieting too long and your metabolism has slowed down a lot. You also sound pretty damn stressed about it which is probably jacking up your stress hormones and causing you to hold on to more water. Try taking two weeks at maintenance calories (that means if you exercise eat to make up the difference! Maintenance = MAINTENANCE) and then go back to dieting.

This applies to ALL of you who've been dieting for at least 2 months and are seeing slowdowns.

Read these articles by Lyle McDonald:

The Full Diet Break

Why Big Caloric Deficits and Lots of Activity Can Hurt Fat Loss

StrongFat2StrongFit

That was a few years ago. Only thing that ever worked for me :(

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
That's what I eat already. :p

Nuts, meats, cottage cheese instead of yogurt, protein powder, almonds, eggs.

Berries tho. :( Bye strawberries.

Have a love affair with berries tonight, change it all up tomorrow. Make sure you eat ENOUGH though so you're going to be eating steadily.

Hit them delis, get them hard salami + spicy cheese, it's delish

Cooper

I'm not doing 500/day, 4 hour work outs right now. I'm doing 1200/cals, 40 - 1 hour. I'm considering at least upping my work outs to all of my free time though :/ and if I'm going to work out that much, I may as well do my strength work out more than cardio.

Height is 5'4", age is 26. I guess I'm not going by weight since I don't have a scale, but I want to be visibly smaller (let's say 2-3 inches off my waist) before September, but after my first month, I know that's not going to happen lol. At this point, even .25 of an inch would be great. Or, not getting fatter. That would be great. If I can manage to not gain weight in the next few months, that would be fantastic.

A few things to keep in mind.

1) Weight loss/body recomposition is excruciatingly slow for everyone, and doubly so for women. One month is still right at the beginning.

2) As a woman, you're subject to periodic bloating/water weight gains from the normal menstrual cycle. If you take your measurements at the "wrong" time in your cycle, it can easily mask your progress. I regularly weigh 2-4 pounds more at certain times of the month, and there are always a few days where my jeans are noticeably tighter.

3) Starting a new exercise program, or increasing the intensity of your current one, will often initially produce water weight gain and bloating. This is from the body adapting and repairing itself. It can take a couple weeks to have the water come off.

4) It looks like you mostly use the MFP mobile app to log your food? The mobile app is great and convenient, but it can make it tricky to select accurate entries at times. If you want, we could be MFP friends, and look over each other's food logs for ideas and double-checking entries. I use the MFP tag MommersRL.

StrongFat2StrongFit

YUP! On my way! Getting closer and closer to my ideal look.

Hccaoqk.jpg
tanahashi.JPG

Definitely agree with this post. This happened to me during my major weight loss period of 118lbs, where I tried too hard to lose and it ended up screwing up my metabolism. At the time I only cared about counting carbs because I was doing keto, and I never really thought about calories since I thought keto was a magic diet that didn't have the same rules as "other diets."

I think it's easy to get caught up in getting results that you ignore all of this stuff, but it's really important to make sure you're eating enough regardless.

Pete Rock

Hit my two year anniversary recently! When I started this journey, it had been at least a solid decade since I had stepped foot in a gym. I wanted to put together an inspirational progress pic but I had limited resources to work with. Really wish I would have taken more shots along the way. This is the best iteration I could produce based on the interim periods between shots where I utilized an identical pose:
95UI8jE.jpg

Two years prior to the event horizon, I was an overweight couchlocked 225lb+ wookie with a pack a day smoking habit and two herniated discs. I would be completely winded after climbing a single flight of stairs, I was constantly in pain and absolutely miserable physically and emotionally. Yes, that is also a pair of moobs hiding underneath there:
iUYEGaV.jpg

If you conceive it, you can achieve it, that's why I believe in you!

According to my subscription folder I only started reading this community thread in OT4. I've never been a big poster, more of a lurker, and I just want to say that throughout these years this community has really brought it home for me. We are all here because our original interest in discussing video games and that astounds me. Not due to cognitive dissonance, but due to the fact that we can apply our love of manipulating systems and investing incremental changes while patiently awaiting the payoff to ourselves instead of chasing an external abstract goal like a level cap, or a rare item to buff your class, or whatever arbitrary thing that was motivating you before.

Change your mind, change your life. Chase your dreams and do what makes you happy!!! ^.^

I also want to make a shout-out to Matthew Gallant. I love to see new faces but I was surprised when he started posting here. Years ago I used to post on PC & QT3 under a different alias and he always contributed a lot of rationality and intelligence to the discussion. So, glad to see you along on the "other side" for the FitGAF ride!

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Well done Pete rock. Well done.

And FE awesome shit bud. I remember your post bulk picture and some random troll talking shit to you. Well I hope they see that pic now because you definitely did it right. Huge mass gain there brother.

TylerD

I've been using ab ripper x for ab work and curls/kickbacks/farmer carry for arm work.

I have ab ripper x ingrained into my brain at this point. I do that and some additional oblique work with dumbbells and hanging twisting leg raises or WTF they are called.

My everything minus shoulders and triceps are sore right now. Going to fix that tonight and go for the full body soreness and do some yoga, hot tub soaking, and recuperating over the weekend before I start easing into starting strength next week.

Will post some pics before I start.

No Love

Banned
What up FitnessGAF... getting back into lifting and fitness now. Cut everything shitty out of my diet, started lifting 5x a week again, and doing HIIT sprints 3-4x a week. About done with month 1 and man the results are insane. I stopped lifting/exercising hardcore back in '12 due to a car accident so I just sort of lay stagnant for the last almost 2 years.

Feels so good to be back. I've been deadlifting seriously for about a month and hit 225 last night. My goal is to get to 315 (seems to be everyone else's goal too) sometime in the near future. And my overall goal is to just hit 10% body fat, which shouldn't take too long.

Anyways, just stopping in to say hi. I've been reading this thread the last couple of days and I really like what I see.

SeanR1221

And FE awesome shit bud. I remember your post bulk picture and some random troll talking shit to you. Well I hope they see that pic now because you definitely did it right. Huge mass gain there brother.

I like to think that dude died with all the crow he had to eat. What an ass anyway. Coming into here randomly insulting members.

---

Pete Rock, rocks! Way to go man.

sphinx

the piano man
Pete, that's awesome and a bit worrying!! hahaha we started at the same point in time, I am "generation OT4/2012" too.

but I don't think I have changed as much as you, you are a complete different person. I've had a lot of bumps on my road in the last half year or so, and I don't have the nutrition discipline you obviously display, congratulations on that.

Since the problem with my hand I have decided I will pursue low BF and abs, it makes sense with the nice weather outside and It's about time. Hoipefully on time for cooter's thread.

rokkerkory

Hit my two year anniversary recently! When I started this journey, it had been at least a solid decade since I had stepped foot in a gym. I wanted to put together an inspirational progress pic but I had limited resources to work with. Really wish I would have taken more shots along the way. This is the best iteration I could produce based on the interim periods between shots where I utilized an identical pose:
95UI8jE.jpg

Two years prior to the event horizon, I was an overweight couchlocked 225lb+ wookie with a pack a day smoking habit and two herniated discs. I would be completely winded after climbing a single flight of stairs, I was constantly in pain and absolutely miserable physically and emotionally. Yes, that is also a pair of moobs hiding underneath there:
iUYEGaV.jpg

According to my subscription folder I only started reading this community thread in OT4. I've never been a big poster, more of a lurker, and I just want to say that throughout these years this community has really brought it home for me. We are all here because our original interest in discussing video games and that astounds me. Not due to cognitive dissonance, but due to the fact that we can apply our love of manipulating systems and investing incremental changes while patiently awaiting the payoff to ourselves instead of chasing an external abstract goal like a level cap, or a rare item to buff your class, or whatever arbitrary thing that was motivating you before.

Change your mind, change your life. Chase your dreams and do what makes you happy!!! ^.^

I also want to make a shout-out to Matthew Gallant. I love to see new faces but I was surprised when he started posting here. Years ago I used to post on PC & QT3 under a different alias and he always contributed a lot of rationality and intelligence to the discussion. So, glad to see you along on the "other side" for the FitGAF ride!

This is pretty freaking amazing. Awesome job dood!

95UI8jE.jpg

iUYEGaV.jpg

Mad respect Mr. Rock. Mad Respect. Congrats with the 2 year anniversary!

giphy.gif

Determination and dedication at its finest. The best part of your progression is the change of expression. Reflects quite clearly how you feel about your outcome :)

Also...

..I was an overweight couchlocked 225lb+ wookie...

Made me lol.

Again, well fucking done brah!

SeanR1221

Oh yeah, if you guys think OHP is the equivalent to the secret end boss in a game, try banded OHP. It's like the secret, secret boss who will kick your ass unless you use cheat codes.

Enfinit

Hola FitnessGAF! I have a question that I need a little guidance in.

I began lifting weights roughly four months ago, and I've had amazingly wonderful gains and results. My lifting routine is a three-day cycle between Back/Bis, Chest/Tris, and Legs/Shoulders (and core every other day), with a very rare rest day. Like I said, the results have been amazing, and I feel wonderful.

However, I don't take the time to do an adequate amount of cardio. It's roughly 2-3 times per week if that, in alternatives by playing racquetball, swimming, or playing basketball. It's not consistent cardio activity with a sustained above-average heart rate.

In lieu of this, the reason I'd like to add a dose of cardio is to increase fat rate and weight loss (I'm 5' 11", 220 now), I'd like to be a little under 200). I'd like to add a more regulated cardio activity (such as treadmill running, cycling, etc.) to my daily workout routine. I really enjoy my current weightlifting plan, and I was wondering if it would be recommended to add a ~30 minute treadmill run on top of that, if that would be healthy without losing muscle mass over time.

As far as my diet goes, it's the standard lean meats with a good portion of vegetables and fruits, as any healthy person would eat. I do not take any protein powder or outside supplements to aid my body, for I ensure I get those extra vitamins/minerals/protein in the food I eat. I also have been intermittent fasting for about two months now (only consuming food between the hours of noon and eight with a calorie goal of 2,000 calories a day), and, like I said, I look and feel absolutely wonderful compared to where I started (235 lbs.). Essentially with my diet, I usually don't eat breakfast. I'll have lunch, snacks in the afternoon, and dinner after the workout around 7:30 (I usually workout around 6).

So, my question is, on top of all this shit, would adding a 30 minute run in the morning (on an empty stomach) be beneficial? I'd really like to add more cardio into my workout routine, and I'd rather not change what I have going - it really works for me. I'd like to increase fat loss and overall health, so what's your advice on doing so, FitnessGAF?

grumble

Anyone have a good outline for arm work and for ab work in the starting strength regiments?

You shouldn't be doing much if any ab and arm work with starting strength. The program has little wiggle room.

You'll find that your triceps get enough volume and intensity with all the pressing to grow and strengthen. Chin-ups get added later and will help with the biceps and abs. Doing three sets of curls is likely all you'd need even if you add it in, which I'd add in Friday at the end. More isn't better.

As for the ab stuff I'd skip it completely. If your dl and squat clear 300 your midsection will get stronger than any amount of ab ripper. If you must add in leg raises off a roman chair, three sets, once a week.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So I plan to start lifting at our small apartment gym 3x a week next week. I'm going to use this program as a base (thanks Vince). Is there anything I should add to it? It's only a few lifts each day (remember, I have limited equipment, but I do have dumbbells, free weights, bench, and a circuit machine with a bunch of stuff on it).

The machine has stuff like leg curls, leg press, triceps, lat press (?), shoulder press, rows, etc. I need to add those in.

Should I go with the below? If so where should I add in some of the extra stuff? I'm just not great at mapping a routine.

I also plan to do cardio every day.

You can adapt most of the routines in the OP to machines and DB work, so I recommend doing that. Something like:

Mon:
Bench
Lat pulldowns (until you get stronger)
DB Arnold Press
Deadlifts (you will run out of weight FAST on those DBs and it isn't correct but it's something)

Wed:
Bench
DB squats (will run out of weight FAST)
Lat pulldowns
Deadlift DBs

Fri:
Bench
Chin-ups via lat pulldown, until you get stronger
DB Arnold Press
DB Squats

Maybe this?

Monday
DB Squat - 3 sets of 5
Bench Press - 3 sets of 5
DB Deadlifts - 1 set of 5
Pull-Ups/Lat Pulldown - 3 sets of 8-15
Lat press - 3 sets of 8
Leg Press - 3 sets of 8

Wednesday
DB Squat - 3 sets of 5
DB Military Press - 3 sets of 5
DB Rows - 3 sets of 8
Leg Curls - 3 sets of 8
Inclined Bench - 3 sets of 5
Abdominal work

Friday
DB Squat - 3 sets of 5
Bench Press - 3 sets of 5
DB Deadlift - 1 set of 5
Curls - 3 sets of 8
Calf press - 3 sets of 10

SeanR1221

Is that like using chains for bench press?

Yeah bands simulate the same concept. The ohp, deadlift and bench are heavier at the lockout and the squat heavier out of the bottom.

I underestimated how much of a challenge they really are.

95UI8jE.jpg

iUYEGaV.jpg

Amazing post right here

lol I remember that douche

You shouldn't be doing much if any ab and arm work with starting strength. The program has little wiggle room.

You'll find that your triceps get enough volume and intensity with all the pressing to grow and strengthen. Chin-ups get added later and will help with the biceps and abs. Doing three sets of curls is likely all you'd need even if you add it in, which I'd add in Friday at the end. More isn't better.

As for the ab stuff I'd skip it completely. If your dl and squat clear 300 your midsection will get stronger than any amount of ab ripper. If you must add in leg raises off a roman chair, three sets, once a week.

Ok thank you.

I'm gonna keep the farmer carry only because it's helping with my grip on the barbells.

95UI8jE.jpg

iUYEGaV.jpg

GJ dood! Love hearing stories like this.

haha, thanks brah. You guys make it all part of the fun.

And DoktorEvil, I'm going to disagree with that grumble in that if you want to do some isolated arm work, do it up. My arms didn't grow for shit on SS but you might be different. I say do it at the end of your workout and only if it doesn't get in the way of your recovery.

Barzul

Hola FitnessGAF! I have a question that I need a little guidance in.

I began lifting weights roughly four months ago, and I've had amazingly wonderful gains and results. My lifting routine is a three-day cycle between Back/Bis, Chest/Tris, and Legs/Shoulders (and core every other day), with a very rare rest day. Like I said, the results have been amazing, and I feel wonderful.

However, I don't take the time to do an adequate amount of cardio. It's roughly 2-3 times per week if that, in alternatives by playing racquetball, swimming, or playing basketball. It's not consistent cardio activity with a sustained above-average heart rate.

In lieu of this, the reason I'd like to add a dose of cardio is to increase fat rate and weight loss (I'm 5' 11", 220 now), I'd like to be a little under 200). I'd like to add a more regulated cardio activity (such as treadmill running, cycling, etc.) to my daily workout routine. I really enjoy my current weightlifting plan, and I was wondering if it would be recommended to add a ~30 minute treadmill run on top of that, if that would be healthy without losing muscle mass over time.

As far as my diet goes, it's the standard lean meats with a good portion of vegetables and fruits, as any healthy person would eat. I do not take any protein powder or outside supplements to aid my body, for I ensure I get those extra vitamins/minerals/protein in the food I eat. I also have been intermittent fasting for about two months now (only consuming food between the hours of noon and eight with a calorie goal of 2,000 calories a day), and, like I said, I look and feel absolutely wonderful compared to where I started (235 lbs.). Essentially with my diet, I usually don't eat breakfast. I'll have lunch, snacks in the afternoon, and dinner after the workout around 7:30 (I usually workout around 6).

So, my question is, on top of all this shit, would adding a 30 minute run in the morning (on an empty stomach) be beneficial? I'd really like to add more cardio into my workout routine, and I'd rather not change what I have going - it really works for me. I'd like to increase fat loss and overall health, so what's your advice on doing so, FitnessGAF?

Why stick with the intermittent fasting for so long? IF you're going to add a consistent cardio routine to your workout, I doubt you'd need it. Anyway as far as Cardio goes, my preferred form is HIIT. You can do this on a treadmill (I do mine outside) by cycling between sprinting and jogging. 20 minutes is typically enough. The goal is to get your heartrate high and then lower it for a bit then back high. I'm not sure I understood how you take your rest days, you don't take them?

What up FitnessGAF... getting back into lifting and fitness now. Cut everything shitty out of my diet, started lifting 5x a week again, and doing HIIT sprints 3-4x a week. About done with month 1 and man the results are insane. I stopped lifting/exercising hardcore back in '12 due to a car accident so I just sort of lay stagnant for the last almost 2 years.

Feels so good to be back. I've been deadlifting seriously for about a month and hit 225 last night. My goal is to get to 315 (seems to be everyone else's goal too) sometime in the near future. And my overall goal is to just hit 10% body fat, which shouldn't take too long.

Anyways, just stopping in to say hi. I've been reading this thread the last couple of days and I really like what I see.

Welcome

Leeness

Have a love affair with berries tonight, change it all up tomorrow. Make sure you eat ENOUGH though so you're going to be eating steadily.

Hit them delis, get them hard salami + spicy cheese, it's delish

I have a carton of strawberries left, will eat all ;_;

Salami!!!! Omg salami.

A few things to keep in mind.

1) Weight loss/body recomposition is excruciatingly slow for everyone, and doubly so for women. One month is still right at the beginning.

2) As a woman, you're subject to periodic bloating/water weight gains from the normal menstrual cycle. If you take your measurements at the "wrong" time in your cycle, it can easily mask your progress. I regularly weigh 2-4 pounds more at certain times of the month, and there are always a few days where my jeans are noticeably tighter.

3) Starting a new exercise program, or increasing the intensity of your current one, will often initially produce water weight gain and bloating. This is from the body adapting and repairing itself. It can take a couple weeks to have the water come off.

4) It looks like you mostly use the MFP mobile app to log your food? The mobile app is great and convenient, but it can make it tricky to select accurate entries at times. If you want, we could be MFP friends, and look over each other's food logs for ideas and double-checking entries. I use the MFP tag MommersRL.

1) Bah. Lol. I know it will take longer but I was hoping for even a teeeeeeeeeny change. Haha.

2) Well, it would seem I started early this month for no reason, so MAYBE? Should have been five or six days from now.

3) Will keep in mind. :)

4) I will add you! I have no MFP friends... Lol. I can only add through FaceBook, phone contacts or email, though?

ILoveBish

Pete rock you look great, incredible job.

slowly carving out the body, I don't think I will be ready for the July cut thread but we will see. I think I'm 10-15 lbs away from what I want to look like before hopping back on the strength and gain train

Beast mode.

Keto bro. I highly recommend it.

Cooper

2) Well, it would seem I started early this month for no reason, so MAYBE? Should have been five or six days from now.

We may have found the culprit. :) Also, you say you're early for no reason, but on the contrary, the information you've posted in this thread provides very good reasons. Abrupt changes in diet or exercise can easily disrupt hormone levels, and thus alter the menstrual cycle in various ways. You've changed both at once, which is fine to do, but the effect certainly isn't unheard of.

Instead of deciding right now to go to keto or whatever tomorrow, I would stick with what you're doing for another week and use that time to research alternative options. Some popular techniques in this thread are ketogenic/low carb, intermittent fasting, Paleo/clean eating, or macro/calorie based like you're using now. See if any of these looks like a method you'd actually enjoy. You don't want to pick something that you'll despise and quit after a couple weeks.

And DoktorEvil, I'm going to disagree with that grumble in that if you want to do some isolated arm work, do it up. My arms didn't grow for shit on SS but you might be different. I say do it at the end of your workout and only if it doesn't get in the way of your recovery.

I'll take it under advisement, depending on how my arms feel that day, but what's a good regiment?

I love the farmer carry because it makes my arms bigger and helps my grip. What else would be good practice to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom