• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

iddqd

Happy CHEAT DAY everybody:
cheatdaynmsjp.jpg

demented

I planned on continuing to work out during the summer but damn, I haven't been to the gym at all this week. It's so fucking hot and humid, and now it's even windy and rains once a day to create even worse weather all my motivation and what's worse energy is gone. I went to gym last week and it just wasn't it, felt like I couldn't really push myself or do it properly, and if I go at night when it's cooler, but still hot, there are too many people in the gym creating atmosphere worse than its out during the day.

I still wanna continue working because even like this it will do me good but damn man it's hard.

Sadetar

grinch-heart-grows-o.gif

You are so sweet, thank you!

I have heard it echoed here many times and it is worth repeating, it is a marathon not a sprint, so patience and mindfulness is helpful at all times. Enjoy each part of the journey, if nothing else because it will make it a lot more fond looking back on those times. It is hard! I am cheering for you! I can also recommend yoga all day! Well sometimes I wish I could just stand around and do it all day... or like three days a week... I feel I would be healthier the more I practice!

I always enjoy the tone of conversation in here as it seems inclusive enough without being washed out or overly aggressive. But then again I like the sound of loud weights dropping and grunting so my taste is questionable to some. Thanks for always being there when I am eating all alone and need something to read FitGAF, stay positive!
Cutie, you are so adorable and encouraging! ^_^

What comes to yoga I have tried it couple times, but wasn't really fond of the person keeping the classes. On the other hand I do pilates at the gym and core muscle training at home so those should cover the same areas of working out... Perhaps. :p I might try some other yoga trainers at some point though.

I also love it here! <3

I am not in a rush what comes to working out. I rather take smaller changes that last than bigger changes that I will lose instantly. I am thinking that within two years time span I will be more healthy, feeling better and normal weight.

Three weeks ago: http://imgur.com/iAlt3Zm
Right now: http://imgur.com/6W575IB

I don't know... Look like I've put on weight. Now I feel bad resting tonight. Lol. Should be working out. ~Lie to me, GAF~, make me feel better.

Hot pack on tummy, hot pack on lower back, want chocolate... Work out tomorrow. ;_;
No offence but I am starting to think you are a bit too critical towards yourself. I see absolutely nothing wrong with your looks and my goal is to look around what you look like at the moment.

Also if you want photos that are easier to compare, use the same clothes and same poses (weight on the same leg and so forth). Even with those photos you look way more fit and you have definitely lost some fat.

When I was in US I weighted way more than I do nowadays - that doesn't mean I still wouldn't love the photos and the memories they bring. It is good that you have the motivation to work out, but could you think something that would motivate you work out even after the trip? In that way you perhaps wouldn't stress that much about the trip itself and you could relax a bit. Stressing and spanking yourself to the edge doesn't work in a long run (at least not for me). You need to enjoy it to continue doing it.

Enfinit

It's early so maybe I'm misunderstanding you.

If there are no free bars and only a smith at your apartment are you deadlifting in a smith?

Also I wouldn't count smith squats and smith bench as BB squat and bench
I only have access to free bars basically once a week, so I use my apartment's smith machine. The smith machine's certainly not as beneficial as a free bar, I know this, but it gets the job done however you want to classify it.

Also you keep going on about how this works. You've barely been in the gym. Everything works as a beginner, tbh.
...yea. That's kinda the point.

SeanR1221

I only have access to free bars basically once a week, so I use my apartment's smith machine. The smith machine's certainly not as beneficial as a free bar, I know this, but it gets the job done however you want to classify it.

Not really. The smith gets the job done in two ways.

Chin ups so I don't have to jump and leaning on between sets.

Cudder

I've never did any abs specific work since I started lifting a few months ago. I thought it would be better for me to save up those precious energy and go for it at compound lifts. Nevertheless I'm a newbie and would love to hear from more experienced fit gaffers about this.
I'd say you're doing it right as of now. Focus completely on your compounds. Some people luckily get big arms and a firm core just from doing those compounds. You won't know if you're one of those people until you've been doing it awhile.

If, after a long while, you feel like your arms are lagging behind, the yeah, absolutely throw in some dedicated arm work.

If you are indeed deadlifting on a smith bar, you aren't doing deadlifts. Just the thought of doing it in there sounds absurd and no, it does not get the job done.

Hit my two year anniversary recently! When I started this journey, it had been at least a solid decade since I had stepped foot in a gym. I wanted to put together an inspirational progress pic but I had limited resources to work with. Really wish I would have taken more shots along the way. This is the best iteration I could produce based on the interim periods between shots where I utilized an identical pose:
95UI8jE.jpg

Two years prior to the event horizon, I was an overweight couchlocked 225lb+ wookie with a pack a day smoking habit and two herniated discs. I would be completely winded after climbing a single flight of stairs, I was constantly in pain and absolutely miserable physically and emotionally. Yes, that is also a pair of moobs hiding underneath there:
iUYEGaV.jpg

If you conceive it, you can achieve it, that's why I believe in you!

According to my subscription folder I only started reading this community thread in OT4. I've never been a big poster, more of a lurker, and I just want to say that throughout these years this community has really brought it home for me. We are all here because our original interest in discussing video games and that astounds me. Not due to cognitive dissonance, but due to the fact that we can apply our love of manipulating systems and investing incremental changes while patiently awaiting the payoff to ourselves instead of chasing an external abstract goal like a level cap, or a rare item to buff your class, or whatever arbitrary thing that was motivating you before.

Change your mind, change your life. Chase your dreams and do what makes you happy!!! ^.^

I also want to make a shout-out to Matthew Gallant. I love to see new faces but I was surprised when he started posting here. Years ago I used to post on PC & QT3 under a different alias and he always contributed a lot of rationality and intelligence to the discussion. So, glad to see you along on the "other side" for the FitGAF ride!

You look awesome bro

Also been mirin FE's transformation. Kids got some balls to bulk up like that and to cut to meet his goals. He has the same build as is goal and will no doubt meet it within the next 2 years an he's natty. A+ job

Feeling pretty good. 2 1/2 months ago, I started squating @ 225 pounds, now I'm up to 3 sets of 10 @ 315 pounds. My goal is 350 in the next month or so. I weigh 193 pounds. I squat to parallel.

I know this is a few pages back, somehow I missed this.

Squat at 3x10 315 lbs after 2,5 months? next milestone estimate 350 lbs??

Absolutely monsterous. Respect my good man.

Enfinit

If you are indeed deadlifting on a smith bar, you aren't doing deadlifts. Just the thought of doing it in there sounds absurd and no, it does not get the job done.

It's not the best, but it's possible to deadlift using one. It's just tough because you don't get a wide of a range of motion, and it can be slightly awkward. I'm not trying to argue that it's better than freeweights, I'm just saying that's it's possible given limited resources.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
It's not the best, but it's possible to deadlift using one. It's just tough because you don't get a wide of a range of motion, and it can be slightly awkward. I'm not trying to argue that it's better than freeweights, I'm just saying that's it's possible given limited resources.

It's not even a DL you're performing. Again, I'll offer some advice and it will probably be my last time because you seem pretty set in your ways but I wouldn't bother DLing in the smith machine. It's unnatural and a great way to develop bad habits and possibly injure yourself. If this workout thing is something you are serious about I would check out your local gyms and rearrange your finances to make it work. Go out to dinner one less time a month. Cut back on Starbucks. Ect.... There's probably some facet of your life that you can scale down to make it work.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
It's not even a DL you're performing. Again, I'll offer some advice and it will probably be my last time because you seem pretty set in your ways but I wouldn't bother DLing in the smith machine. It's unnatural and a great way to develop bad habits and possibly injure yourself. If this workout thing is something you are serious about I would check out your local gyms and rearrange your finances to make it work. Go out to dinner one less time a month. Cut back on Starbucks. Ect.... There's probably some facet of your life that you can scale down to make it work.

The shit I see at the gym I go to...boggles the mind.

One arm smith machine rows...
Static lunges in the smith machine...

Ashodin

Yeah I was at the gym the other day and I saw the smith machine, but even I didn't feel right looking at it to be used for DLs or Squats. You need that free weight approach to get all your muscles being used at once.

sphinx

the piano man
smith machines feel like something/someone is doing the work for you and you aren't getting stronger, basically like any other machine.

You are just doing the motion putting some effort but you're not doing it yourself, if that makes sense. Hard to explain.

Imo smith machines can make a dangerous transition. My concern stems from witnessing some people, doing e.g. improper squats whilst leaning against the smith machine bar.

...IF somebody should carry that template onto traditional weightlifting, it could lead to serious injuries.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So I plan to start lifting at our small apartment gym 3x a week next week. I'm going to use this program as a base (thanks Vince). Is there anything I should add to it? It's only a few lifts each day (remember, I have limited equipment, but I do have dumbbells, free weights, bench, and a circuit machine with a bunch of stuff on it).

The machine has stuff like leg curls, leg press, triceps, lat press (?), shoulder press, rows, etc. I need to add those in.

Should I go with the below? If so where should I add in some of the extra stuff? I'm just not great at mapping a routine.

I also plan to do cardio every day.

Maybe this?

Monday
DB Squat - 3 sets of 5
Bench Press - 3 sets of 5
DB Deadlifts - 1 set of 5
Pull-Ups/Lat Pulldown - 3 sets of 8-15
Lat press - 3 sets of 8
Leg Press - 3 sets of 8

Wednesday
DB Squat - 3 sets of 5
DB Military Press - 3 sets of 5
DB Rows - 3 sets of 8
Leg Curls - 3 sets of 8
Inclined Bench - 3 sets of 5
Abdominal work

Friday
DB Squat - 3 sets of 5
Bench Press - 3 sets of 5
DB Deadlift - 1 set of 5
Curls - 3 sets of 8
Calf press - 3 sets of 10

Any help here?

Chittagong

Gold Member
A bit late to the new OT, but goddam FE, Sphinx, Pete Rock and others posting pics, incredible.

Also love reading through the pages on one go seeing Ashodin going from eagerly slamming random machines with a plan unlikely to result to much to taking a deep breathe and considering barbell training and reading the OP.

I am now starting another cycle of Starting Strength. I am 1.5 years or so in and consider myself still a beginner. When I started I didn't realise how much office work had wrecked my physique. I had no control of my hip flexors, my back would curve like a motherfucker, my hamstrings were so tight I couldn't do a clean squat to parallel even without a bar. I would buttwink like crazy and lean forwards, not able to place the weights on my heels. After all this time I can now do proper squats at 2/3BW on the bar, deep enough to the parallel (which nine out of ten men in our gym don't seem to do). It's a long road to squatting BW on the bar, but at least now I can do it.

I still can'd deadlift right. From years on the computer I have a very round upper back and forwards shoulders. I have bought Salli saddle chairs to our design studio and am starting to reverse the damage.

The point of typing all this? It's that Ashodin, there's no shame on starting from the bottom. I did, and I am not still very far. But I'm so much better than I was a year or two ago. I read the OP, went by it. Hope you have the patience mate.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I have the patience of gods

Excellent. You clearly have the motivation. The journey is one of life, one of years, and it's awesome when you look back. I can hand at heart say that the advice I have got in this thread is the best one can get. I routinely take the stuff I get from here to my PT, and it works. It did sting like fuck when I was told my bf was closer to 30 than 20 here. Or that my squat had so many issues. But hadn't it happened, I would still be where I was back then.

Sadetar

A bit late to the new OT, but goddam FE, Sphinx, Pete Rock and others posting pics, incredible.

Also love reading through the pages on one go seeing Ashodin going from eagerly slamming random machines with a plan unlikely to result to much to taking a deep breathe and considering barbell training and reading the OP.

I am now starting another cycle of Starting Strength. I am 1.5 years or so in and consider myself still a beginner. When I started I didn't realise how much office work had wrecked my physique. I had no control of my hip flexors, my back would curve like a motherfucker, my hamstrings were so tight I couldn't do a clean squat to parallel even without a bar. I would buttwink like crazy and lean forwards, not able to place the weights on my heels. After all this time I can now do proper squats at 2/3BW on the bar, deep enough to the parallel (which nine out of ten men in our gym don't seem to do). It's a long road to squatting BW on the bar, but at least now I can do it.

I still can'd deadlift right. From years on the computer I have a very round upper back and forwards shoulders. I have bought Salli saddle chairs to our design studio and am starting to reverse the damage.

The point of typing all this? It's that Ashodin, there's no shame on starting from the bottom. I did, and I am not still very far. But I'm so much better than I was a year or two ago. I read the OP, went by it. Hope you have the patience mate.
I feel you there. Awesome to hear that you have been doing great though! Experiences like this give me hope.

I can sit around 5 minutes before it starts to hurt so much I need to get up. Working with computers is pain in the ass (also very literally) and I should write my graduating thesis. Nowadays I use computer when I am standing (I need a better table for that though) or when I am laying on the floor (not the best solution either).

Only three months of gym behind. Hopefully on the autumn I could start to hit the free weights. It sounds like a bad excuse, but because my physiotherapist didn't give me permission to do the free weights I am trying to stay away from them till she gives her blessing. I do squads with a bar, but that is all.

I have just noticed that when I see my weight going down and I feel my strenght increasing the hunger gets bigger... This place is just so motivational. <3

I have the patience of gods
Hahah. I think that modesty is one of your best features. ;)

Any help here?

The routine looks like more than enough for a starting routine. Hell, it might have more smaller movements than even necessary. Anyway, start with that routine and stick to it for a while. If you've never done some of those lifts before, don't hesitate to record yourself and upload the videos here for advice on improving your form.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
The routine looks like more than enough for a starting routine. Hell, it might have more smaller movements than even necessary. Anyway, start with that routine and stick to it for a while. If you've never done some of those lifts before, don't hesitate to record yourself and upload the videos here for advice on improving your form.

I've done everything, I used to lift in high school and a bit in college. I just wanted to make sure I have the right lifts on the right days. Before seeing the OP I always separated stuff (Mondays were arms and chest, then legs and back, etc.) until my week was done. Doing a bit of everything each lifting day is a bit new. :)

As long as what I put looks good I'll do that + cardio and see what happens.

Any help here?

Might I add while you are doing that routine would it be possible for you to invest in a barbell/plates/squat rack/bench? I don't know if you have the space but if you do, start thinking about saving some cash to get those. Craigslist has some good deals on used equipment
search at your own risk though

Leeness

No offence but I am starting to think you are a bit too critical towards yourself. I see absolutely nothing wrong with your looks and my goal is to look around what you look like at the moment.

Also if you want photos that are easier to compare, use the same clothes and same poses (weight on the same leg and so forth). Even with those photos you look way more fit and you have definitely lost some fat.

When I was in US I weighted way more than I do nowadays - that doesn't mean I still wouldn't love the photos and the memories they bring. It is good that you have the motivation to work out, but could you think something that would motivate you work out even after the trip? In that way you perhaps wouldn't stress that much about the trip itself and you could relax a bit. Stressing and spanking yourself to the edge doesn't work in a long run (at least not for me). You need to enjoy it to continue doing it.

Really, I'll never be happy with how I look. :( I'm kind of like...at least if I'm skinny, it takes the edge off the ugly. But I'll never be happy with my appearance. Can only mitigate. :/

You're super pretty whether you lost weight or not. Got a gorgeous face :)

Bad bad day today... I had a fridge delivered with the stupid "between 10 - 3", so just sat around waiting and after had shopping and a dinner with my parents and sisters and blah blah. No working out. Barf.

I should do two or three work outs tomorrow. Maybe a cardio in the morning and strength later in the afternoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom