• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cudder

It's time to move on from linear gains and use some more advanced training methods now.

What would you suggest?

Also, my squats and deadlifts are still going up. I should just stick out my program as is until all my lifts stop increasing right?

regarding cardio, I hate everything that isn't running outdoors. I despise treadmills, elypticals, static bikes and whatever fancy equipment the fitness world has come up with to make people lose weight.

I need air, sun, people around, nature and variety.

it's good that my course has several hills and steps so I don't just run on a flat surface mindlessly :)

I'm in the same boat. I'm actually in a stage currently where I have to run less then I would like, just because the amount of trail running that I was doing was making it too hard to keep weight on. I'm pretty dang luck to live with a mostly trail 6 mile run to my work, makes for a great commute on sunny days. The pic below is the park that I go through every day, it never really gets old to me.

mX1MGtk.jpg

Sadetar

I have been thinking that is there any photographic evidence of the times when Darth was still a mere human being?

I'm in the same boat. I'm actually in a stage currently where I have to run less then I would like, just because the amount of trail running that I was doing was making it too hard to keep weight on. I'm pretty dang luck to live with a mostly trail 6 mile run to my work, makes for a great commute on sunny days. The pic below is the park that I go through every day, it never really gets old to me.

mX1MGtk.jpg
Now I want to go out jogging but I can't since it is pouring rain, nearly 2 am and I have work today. You are a one lucky bastard.

I shouldn't be whining though. I have an awesome lake next to me that I quite often go around and nice little foresty hills that are also somewhat perfect to go to. It could be worse.

Ashodin

Phew, back from my new gym, and YES they have bars to squat lift with. I tried it a couple of times, but I was mainly there to check out their machines as well (and use them)! My next visit will come with a checklist for Starting Strength routines (sadly I have SHIT for lifting power, but it will get better). My legs really kick ass though, so I'll start off great.

Cudder

Phew, back from my new gym, and YES they have bars to squat lift with. I tried it a couple of times, but I was mainly there to check out their machines as well (and use them)! My next visit will come with a checklist for Starting Strength routines (sadly I have SHIT for lifting power, but it will get better). My legs really kick ass though, so I'll start off great.

Machines doing what they do best

SeanR1221

Couple things.

Make sure you're using a barbell on a squat rack or power rack. Don't use the smith machine.

I'd post some form videos early if you don't feel confident.

TylerD

Killed back and biceps and found out that my grip strength is absolute shit. Not surprised because I haven't lifted free weights in a really long time but I REALLY need to work on that.

slowly carving out the body, I don't think I will be ready for the July cut thread but we will see. I think I'm 10-15 lbs away from what I want to look like before hopping back on the strength and gain train

Mr.Fresh

I need to really start getting into going to the gym. Working out isn't my problem just making myself go to the gym is the problem. When ever I go I always go hard but it's just so hard making myself go. What do you guys suggest?

Measurements. 31inch waist at the beginning...31 inch now :(

Started May 18th. Almost a month now!

Nada. :(

Ah well, keep at it because you are a month fitter than you would have been. If it only took a month, you probably wouldn't have to be working so hard!

I need to really start getting into going to the gym. Working out isn't my problem just making myself go to the gym is the problem. When ever I go I always go hard but it's just so hard making myself go. What do you guys suggest?

What is your goal? If you are having trouble getting motivated, maybe you need a bigger or better one. Otherwise not much people can do to help, because you'll always overrule it.

Are you training for something or just want to get fitter in general? Some things to try are signing up for some sort of physical event in the future, that always helps keep me working. An alternative is to buy some preworkout. Whenever you are unsure about going to the gym, drink a big glass. Then you'll either have to go to the gym or you'll be bouncing off the walls for the rest of the day.

Measurements. 31inch waist at the beginning...31 inch now :(

Started May 18th. Almost a month now!

Nada. :(

Well, I have a 31 inch waist and it's not too bad. For me, going below that would require a stricter diet and knowing how to play the hormones (that's why I will soon start bulking for strength and then cut more efficiently as I am now starting to understand my own meatbolism). The last bit of flab is always the most difficult and a simple calorie deficit does not cut it for many.

Still, you have been working out just a couple weeks, no? Don't give up.

Mr.Fresh

Ah well, keep at it because you are a month fitter than you would have been. If it only took a month, you probably wouldn't have to be working so hard!

What is your goal? If you are having trouble getting motivated, maybe you need a bigger or better one. Otherwise not much people can do to help, because you'll always overrule it.

Are you training for something or just want to get fitter in general? Some things to try are signing up for some sort of physical event in the future, that always helps keep me working. An alternative is to buy some preworkout. Whenever you are unsure about going to the gym, drink a big glass. Then you'll either have to go to the gym or you'll be bouncing off the walls for the rest of the day.

I just wanna get fitter in general, I'm not super huge or anything but I do have a little body fat that I would like to turn into muscle. My goal is just to get a better body really. Maybe I should sign up for some type of even but I'm not sure where to look for that type of stuff.

Edit: also what pre workouts would you recommend?

Leeness

Ah well, keep at it because you are a month fitter than you would have been. If it only took a month, you probably wouldn't have to be working so hard!.

I know. It's just discouraging when my goal is September, and other people can lose weight and I can't. Well, unless I go back to eating 500 cals a day and working out 4 hours a day. Lol. That's like the only way for me.

Well, I have a 31 inch waist and it's not too bad. For me, going below that would require a stricter diet and knowing how to play the hormones (that's why I will soon start bulking for strength and then cut more efficiently as I am now starting to understand my own meatbolism). The last bit of flab is always the most difficult and a simple calorie deficit does not cut it for many.

Still, you have been working out just a couple weeks, no? Don't give up.

I'm a short lady, though. 31 is nooooot good. Should be 25-28. Fat fat fat fat.

I won't give up. I just wish I was like normal people and could lose weight like a normal person. I just don't have the time to work out all day like I need to to get anywhere.

Ideally, I should be working out for at LEAST an hour and a half in the morning and an hour and a half at night. I just don't have the time :(

I know. It's just discouraging when my goal is September, and other people can lose weight and I can't. Well, unless I go back to eating 500 cals a day and working out 4 hours a day. Lol. That's like the only way for me.

I won't give up. I just wish I was like normal people and could lose weight like a normal person. I just don't have the time to work out all day like I need to to get anywhere.

Ideally, I should be working out for at LEAST an hour and a half in the morning and an hour and a half at night. I just don't have the time :(

Not for nothing Leeness, but you're a fox!

Generally, its ill advised to eat only 500 calories and workout so much. It'll mess up your body and after you hit your goals and the weight will creep back up.

And here I am wanting to put on weight/muscle like a normal person ;)

I actually think that is pretty normal because I know plenty of girls who feel the same way. Some have kept at it, others have sort of given up. But all of them have to work extra hard in not enough time.

You'll get there. If not for September, there will be plenty of stuff after that.

Leeness

Not for nothing Leeness, but you're a fox!

Generally, its ill advised to eat only 500 calories and workout so much. It'll mess up your body and after you hit your goals and the weight will creep back up.

That's what happened. :( Lost 40 lbs the only way I could and now I'm fat again. But I also fell out of exercising. I'm someone who can never stop exercising, even if it's just to maintain.

And here I am wanting to put on weight/muscle like a normal person ;)

I actually think that is pretty normal because I know plenty of girls who feel the same way. Some have kept at it, others have sort of given up. But all of them have to work extra hard in not enough time.

You'll get there. If not for September, there will be plenty of stuff after that.

Won't be in Europe again for years. :( I want to be able to take pictures of myself in Europe and mot have to tear them up/edit myself out afterwards.

That's what happened. :( Lost 40 lbs the only way I could and now I'm fat again. But I also fell out of exercising. I'm someone who can never stop exercising, even if it's just to maintain.

Have you tried lifting weights for a while? Squats, deadlifts and pullups (or a variation). If you can't exercise more and you can't eat less, changing your body seems like the way to go.

Won't be in Europe again for years. :( I want to be able to take pictures of myself in Europe and mot have to tear them up/edit myself out afterwards.

Don't worry, still a long way to go. When I went on a weight loss push it was three months before I started seeing losses that stayed off for longer than a day. You have plenty of time till September.

Excuse my language lady, but that's BS imo.

'Crash diets' (500 calories) are the worst type of diet, you could pick. The typical outcome - supported by empirical studies - is that people regain all the lost weight, within a matter of weeks/days. The body simply can't function normally with such a low deficit. In fact the body starts to preserve energy and promote fat storage as an emergency mechanism. You're actually causing more damage to your organism than you think.

Proper weightloss and workout comes through, willpower, preservence, patience, persistence and discipline. Realistically there's no short-cut.

I'd do what Todd suggests and start lifting weights - also read the OP. Bodyweight exercises have a very limiting effectiveness in regards to free weights.

Then again, I'm willing to give you benefit of doubt. Have you consulted a medical practioner about your scenario?

Dat flu life, dem lost gainz.....I'm not gonna make it.

Pouring out some of my protein shake for our fallen homie.

For real... I hate the rare time I get sick. I just hate working out and coughing all over everything so I usually just workout at home with body weight exercises or go do some yard work. If I'm not feeling contagious I'll get my ass in the gym, but man, I wouldn't fuck with the flu at the gym.

Pete Rock

Then again, I'm willing to give you benefit of doubt. Have you consulted a medical practioner about your scenario?
Agreed, unless there is some underlying hormone or metabolism issue at play this sounds snowflakey. Nobody should be working out for three hours a day and eating that little let alone expecting that to be "normal" behavior for anyone.

In fact I'd say shoot for a clean intake (no flours, sugars, only clean fats & lean protein) of 3-4Kcal in an 8 hour intermittent fasting window, drink a gallon of water a day, and perform a strength training routine like Starting Strength for a single hour a day three days a week. You will see massive changes in six months.

I basically read that paragraph on another website two years ago and explained it to my lifting buddy at the time who scoffed and said "whatever dude, you basically have to be genetically predisposed to have a six pack so I'm not even going to try..."

So. Live the dream. You can do it! Erase all your preconceptions about how it has to happen, let yourself be surprised and give something else a try. What do you have to lose?

In my opinion this is another reason the topics here tend to focus on strength training and diet, because those are proven methodologies for improving your physique. There's a reason for that, most everything else is either only appropriate as accessory work or entirely a waste of time as the focus of a generalized approach ie sprints/machines/jogging.

How often do people have days where it just ain't happening?

At the beginning of this cycle, I was killing it, but as soon as I drop 200 calories on my diet last week, I feel like a zombie. It can't be the calorie drop that's done it.

FUCK A FRONT SQUAT!
They're extremely awkward, to the point were I'm don't care about the additional benefits!

Back Squats have served me well PLUS I have a number of other leg workouts that probably cover the addition benefits of the Front Squat.

*sidenote: I love Deadlifts!

How often do people have days where it just ain't happening?

At the beginning of this cycle, I was killing it, but as soon as I drop 200 calories on my diet last week, I feel like a zombie. It can't be the calorie drop that's done it.

The last week of all my workout routines I get one of those "AIN'T HAPPENING" days, but I usually make them up on a off day and KILL IT!

Like someone else said above, you should seriously consider a weight training regiment.

Squats are your friend!

Zoe

In fact I'd say shoot for a clean intake (no flours, sugars, only clean fats & lean protein) of 3-4Kcal in an 8 hour intermittent fasting window, drink a gallon of water a day, and perform a strength training routine like Starting Strength for a single hour a day three days a week. You will see massive changes in six months.

3000 calories daily on a woman who needs to lose weight? Uh...

I reset my squat 10% after failing on my 1s week of 5/3/1. Felt good to have that reset today (wrapping up my gym session right now). But... I had 4 cups of milk with my breakfast and I think I'm regretting that after squats and lunges <20 minutes later. Hold me GAF.

Leeness

Have you tried lifting weights for a while? Squats, deadlifts and pullups (or a variation). If you can't exercise more and you can't eat less, changing your body seems like the way to go.

Don't worry, still a long way to go. When I went on a weight loss push it was three months before I started seeing losses that stayed off for longer than a day. You have plenty of time till September.

I don't have access to a gym with weights :( I only use hand weights. But I do squats every workout, a form of dead lift in my strength workout, uh...no pull-ups. Lol. I will never be able to do a pull-up.

When you only lose 1lbs in three months, not gonna look much different... :(

'Crash diets' (500 calories) are the worst type of diet, you could pick. The typical outcome - supported by empirical studies - is that people regain all the lost weight, within a matter of weeks/days. The body simply can't function normally with such a low deficit. In fact the body starts to preserve energy and promote fat storage as an emergency mechanism. You're actually causing more damage to your organism than you think.

Proper weightloss and workout comes through, willpower, preservence, patience, persistence and discipline. Realistically there's no short-cut.

I'd do what Todd suggests and start lifting weights - also read the OP. Bodyweight exercises have a very limiting effectiveness in regards to free weights.

Sorry, let me clarify. I posted in a huff last night after looking at my nasty fat ass in a mirror (really have to get rid of all mirrors...).

I lost weight before by doing 1200/day and working out 3 or so hours a day. I would lose maybe 1-2lbs a month doing this. When it slowed down to zero, then I'd use 500/day and 4 hours of working out to jump start it back.

See above, I have no access to a gym. :( I can get heavier hand weights but that's about it.

I have talked to a doctor before and done bloodwork. Nothing. Doctor was just like "well, that's weird. Keep at it, I guess? :/"

Also, I maintained the weight loss for two or three years, even through working at a fast food-ish restaurant. It was only after long school hours then a job with long transit = no time to work out = fat as fuck.

Like someone else said above, you should seriously consider a weight training regiment.

Squats are your friend!

I do what I can with no gym. Squats everyday. :(

Sigh, according to MFP, my net calories a day is approximately 550-600 after exercise. It's not enough...

I will never be able to do a pull-up.

When you only lose 1lbs in three months, not gonna look much different... :(

Sorry, let me clarify. I posted in a huff last night after looking at my nasty fat ass in a mirror (really have to get rid of all mirrors...).

1) lose that attitude or you'll never reach your goals.
2) don't get rid of the mirrors, get rid of the scale.
3) how bad do you really want it? Sacrifice some stuff so you can get to the gym? Build your own stuff to be able to do some more Bodyweight style workouts?

FUCK A FRONT SQUAT!
They're extremely awkward, to the point were I'm don't care about the additional benefits!

Back Squats have served me well PLUS I have a number of other leg workouts that probably cover the addition benefits of the Front Squat.

*sidenote: I love Deadlifts!

This. Been doing front squats for the past few months but the motion is jut very awkward and uncomfortable. My wrists wrists hurt if I hold the bar with my hands and my shoulders KILL if I rest the bar on my shoulder. I don't think I can ever go super heavy on them.

SeanR1221

Leeness I've mentioned it before in another thread a long time ago. I don't think you're eating enough.

Might as well try slowly increasing your calories and see if that helps over time. Honestly what do you have to lose at this point?

Leeness

1) lose that attitude or you'll never reach your goals.
2) don't get rid of the mirrors, get rid of the scale.
3) how bad do you really want it? Sacrifice some stuff so you can get to the gym? Build your own stuff to be able to do some more Bodyweight style workouts?

1) The attitude is what makes me work out in the first place :p if I didn't hate what I look like, I wouldn't work out.
2) I don't have a scale
3) I want it enough that it's time to just work out all two and a half hours I have at night and just forgo eating dinner. :/

Leeness I've mentioned it before in another thread a long time ago. I don't think you're eating enough.

Might as well try slowly increasing your calories and see if that helps over time. Honestly what do you have to lose at this point?

I don't even know how. Lol. I already eat enough for my stomach. My belly doesn't need more, it probably needs less. :(

I don't want to increase before going to Europe anyway in case it backfires and I gain 20lbs instead of losing anything. Maybe after Europe when I can take all the time in the world. :/

This. Been doing front squats for the past few months but the motion is jut very awkward and uncomfortable. My wrists wrists hurt if I hold the bar with my hands and my shoulders KILL if I rest the bar on my shoulder. I don't think I can ever go super heavy on them.

How are you gripping the bar? Four fingers on top, thumb underneath or some other grip? Same question goes to Team Jones.

Also, Leeness, if it feels like people in here are dog-piling on you, I want you to know that everyone here is just looking to help. I'm only saying this preemptively, as I know in the past sometimes people (including myself) make the mistake of thinking they're being attacked when really everyone is just trying to be helpful. With that said, I essentially agree with the opinion of the masses; 4 hours of working out a day plus a 500 calorie diet is damn near suicidal and is not sustainable. I mean, think about it, is that the life you'd want to live? There has to be a better way to go about reducing your body fat than starving/over-working your body. I know it seems counter-intuitive, but I'd speculate something closer to 1,200-1,800 calories a day (this will vary based on your height, age, and some other factors) is what you should be eating for weight loss coupled with weight training and perhaps short-duration cardio.

That's my issue with 'em too bruh; Fucked Wrist, Shoulders Killed & Never Super Heavy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom