• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barzul

Feeling pretty good. 2 1/2 months ago, I started squating @ 225 pounds, now I'm up to 3 sets of 10 @ 315 pounds. My goal is 350 in the next month or so. I weigh 193 pounds. I squat to parallel.

Thanks man it was amazing. I won't lie my first attempt failed. I tried to do it with a normal grip and I failed really at three reps. Then I rested, chalked up and did a mixed grip and i freaking RIPPED IT! I also recorded my failure. I may post it......

315lb Deadlift

Grants man. I don't remember my first 315, but to this day it still excites me when I'm at 3+ plates for a lift. I suspect others here may disagree with me, but I would like to add that I feel your starting position is with too rounded of a back. Maybe others think it is fine, but that's my opinion. Now, admittedly, form will break down slightly at near maximal lifts, but I feel the breakdown should occur once into the list, not from the starting position. Maybe double-check your back when dead lifting?

Just my two cents, I'm certainly no deadlift expert and only mean this as a suggestion for you to consider.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Feeling pretty good. 2 1/2 months ago, I started squating @ 225 pounds, now I'm up to 3 sets of 10 @ 315 pounds. My goal is 350 in the next month or so. I weigh 193 pounds. I squat to parallel.
Impressive. Post up a video and let us see a set of these bad boys!

Pete Rock

Also the photo is priceless! <3
Thank you! As far as your back is concerned I would recommend a linear program like SS starting from the 45 lb barbell weight. You will know when things are too heavy or uncomfortable and this process will help you get better at listening to your body.

Those abs, Pete!
Thanks! I got my first reverse-DYEL comment in the locker room last Friday, average looking guy walks in from the treadmill room completely drenched in sweat and sounding exhausted. Looks at me with some kind of quizzical disdain and kind of half shrugs while asking "do you even, like... do any cardio?" lol I was dead on the spot. I of course crushed his reality by replying "fuck no I avoid that like the plague, heavy squats and deadlifts brah"

are you that guy?? :D
I read this the wrong way at first lol but yes indeed. I would also agree with Vince in the sense that at least for me personally Press & OHP are kind of whatever and always have been, squats and dead lifts are my favorites and always will be. I stopped chasing milestones on the press movements and switched to volume and am a lot more satisfied with that kind of progress than the constant grind for an arbitrary bw multiple. So you have a lot of other areas for improvements and they just happen to be the two with bigger overall potential totals in any context, look forward to that!

Cudder

You started squatting 2.5 months ago? That is freaking insane weight to be throwing around.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Tonight was deadlift night and I went for it- 3 plates, 315lbs, 1 rep. Made it. Yeah bitchez.

Barzul

Impressive. Post up a video and let us see a set of these bad boys!

Thanks. I'll make one the next time I do them. Need my form to be critiqued.

You started squatting 2.5 months ago? That is freaking insane weight to be throwing around.

Yeah I'm a bit surprised with how much progress I've made. I'd never done squats until 2.5 months like never ever and I really struggled with them at first. I've progressively gotten better and I feel pretty good.

iddqd

Man, I've been doing this stuff for a little less then a year and I BARELY do 225 for 10.
Crazy progress.

Despite increasing the weight last two workouts my DOMS are decreasing. Nearly non existent.

What da fuk?,
Soreness is whatever. Don't pay attention to it as an inclination of anything unless it's the symptom of an injury.

Also I tend to get less sore the more I workout and only changing my routine or taking a break will cause me to get very sore, it's whatever.

Go_Ly_Dow

Soreness is whatever. Don't pay attention to it as an inclination of anything unless it's the symptom of an injury.

Also I tend to get less sore the more I workout and only changing my routine or taking a break will cause me to get very sore, it's whatever.

Yeah, hear alot of people say sorness isnt indication of a good workout and many have seen growth despite no soreness.

However been lifting properly for 1.5 years now and this is the first time my DOMS have been borderline non-existent. My chest and triceps always kill and today I can only feel it when tightening the muscle and its minor.

Same thing happened with my deadlift/back day a few days before. Minimal DOMS.

Seems likey upper body at least has become accustomed to it now! Let's see what my legs say when I squat tomorrow.

Irobot82

Grants man. I don't remember my first 315, but to this day it still excites me when I'm at 3+ plates for a lift. I suspect others here may disagree with me, but I would like to add that I feel your starting position is with too rounded of a back. Maybe others think it is fine, but that's my opinion. Now, admittedly, form will break down slightly at near maximal lifts, but I feel the breakdown should occur once into the list, not from the starting position. Maybe double-check your back when dead lifting?

Just my two cents, I'm certainly no deadlift expert and only mean this as a suggestion for you to consider.

Thanks Man, I think maybe I wasn't opening my chest up enough. I think someone said you need to read the writing on your shirt. It's hard to think of all the queue's at once, this time I was focusing on not lifting my butt up before the lift, so I started at a higher position. So now I need to bring everything else back into the fold and my form will be better.

Brendonia

"Edge stole Big Ben's helmet"
Soreness seems to be dependent on so many things it is difficult to predict. I still usually get it after heavy leg days but don't get much in other areas beyond shoulders (if I do a lot of shrugs) or lower back. I feel like at this point I'm just used to it too so maybe it's not as noticeable?

Barzul those are some impressive numbers. Well done!

Pete Rock

Tear at my form! lemme know if I'm fucking up.
Are you consciously trying for high bar or low bar? It looks to me that you're kind of somewhere in the middle, you setup the bar high but your back position and angle from the top of the rep down is more akin to low bar. I'm not seeing the stereotypical hinge where the ass raises up first because it's farther back from the weight, but it does seem that the bar path is farther away from your ankles and closer to your toes while being racked up behind your neck versus being farther down on your back.

It all depends on what you are going for and how this weight currently feels and I can only give my own testimony but once I switched to low bar, squats became significantly more comfortable.

The only other thing that stood out to me is that you can eliminate a lot of the steps backwards in the cage. Just far back enough to gain clearance of the rack pins by another diameter of the barbell or so is more than adequate.

Front/High/Low:
squats.jpg

Sorry I missed this last night, I try to get on form checks if nobody else has responded yet, I think they are the most important things we can do for each other!

Matugi

Did deadlifts today listening yo everything you guys said last week. Sat back into my set up to pull the slack out of the bar, focused on pulling the bar along my legs, focused on synchronizing my lockout, and lost the shoes and it made a world of difference. Hit 295x3 no problem and have no pain in my back right now. Gonna keep it below 300 until I get my form perfect but it's a complete overhaul from last week, I can tell you that much. I did throw in some light sets during the week building up to today so I could get as much practice as possible.

EDIT: numbers. 295x2 not 3. Was gonna hit a third rel but lost all my energy on the second rep and didn't want to risk using my back to try to get an ultimately meaningless third rep

Are you consciously trying for high bar or low bar? It looks to me that you're kind of somewhere in the middle, you setup the bar high but your back position and angle from the top of the rep down is more akin to low bar. I'm not seeing the stereotypical hinge where the ass raises up first because it's farther back from the weight, but it does seem that the bar path is farther away from your ankles and closer to your toes while being racked up behind your neck versus being farther down on your back.

It all depends on what you are going for and how this weight currently feels and I can only give my own testimony but once I switched to low bar, squats became significantly more comfortable.

The only other thing that stood out to me is that you can eliminate a lot of the steps backwards in the cage. Just far back enough to gain clearance of the rack pins by another diameter of the barbell or so is more than adequate.

Front/High/Low:
squats.jpg

Sorry I missed this last night, I try to get on form checks if nobody else has responded yet, I think they are the most important things we can do for each other!

TY for the response I was worried I had pissed the community off or something.

The thing is, I'm not putting the bar under my shoulder blade as a low bar form shows, but when I squat, my chest dips down like a low bar squat.

I end up with the bar tucked in my shoulder blades but my chest dipped down. I never thought I could actually do low bar effectively so maybe a full switch would be beneficial.

I'll only take a step and a half back in future form checks/workouts. TY for the input!

Matugi

TY for the response I was worried I had pissed the community off or something.

The thing is, I'm not putting the bar under my shoulder blade as a low bar form shows, but when I squat, my chest dips down like a low bar squat.

I end up with the bar tucked in my shoulder blades but my chest dipped down. I never thought I could actually do low bar effectively so maybe a full switch would be beneficial.

I'll only take a step and a half back in future form checks/workouts. TY for the input!

To me the chest tucking seems like a problem based on the way you set up. With a lower bar squat, yes your chest will be down a little, but your spine position should be neutral, meaning that your spine and chest should remain on a single plane throughout the squat. I definitely see chest tucking in your video, and what it shows (to me) is that you're not keeping your spine tight. On your upwards movement, your back curves a bit and it looks like you're using a lot of upper back, which is the hallmark of poor form on a low bar squat. If you look at :36 seconds in your video, you'll notice you go up a bit then you sort of move the bar backwards; that's what I'm referring to. If your spine position remains neutral you should be starting and stopping in the same position, what allows you to lift is the opening up of your hips then the use of your hips, quads, and glutes to power back up through your hips and lockout. Your spine position shouldn't change.

It also looks like you're locking out your hips first which is definitely related to you losing your spine angle. It's basically what is forcing you to use your back for the last third of the lift or so.

To me the chest tucking seems like a problem based on the way you set up. With a lower bar squat, yes your chest will be down a little, but your spine position should be neutral, meaning that your spine and chest should remain on a single plane throughout the squat. I definitely see chest tucking in your video, and what it shows (to me) is that you're not keeping your spine tight. On your upwards movement, your back curves a bit and it looks like you're using a lot of upper back, which is the hallmark of poor form on a low bar squat. If you look at :36 seconds in your video, you'll notice you go up a bit then you sort of move the bar backwards; that's what I'm referring to. If your spine position remains neutral you should be starting and stopping in the same position, what allows you to lift is the opening up of your hips then the use of your hips, quads, and glutes to power back up through your hips and lockout. Your spine position shouldn't change.

It also looks like you're locking out your hips first which is definitely related to you losing your spine angle. It's basically what is forcing you to use your back for the last third of the lift or so.

So it should look something like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fmrKmJMQnw

Zoe

What kind of cardio program would you guys recommend for losing the last 10-15 lbs of fat? Preferably on a treadmill.

Standing over a stove.

Seriously though, probably HIIT which doesn't really work too well on a treadmill. You want to use a machine where you are the one driving the movement.

Standing over a stove.

Seriously though, probably HIIT which doesn't really work too well on a treadmill. You want to use a machine where you are the one driving the movement.

IMO I think HIIT works best on a treadmill because it actually forces you to move your ass faster. Its also easier to gauge your intervals.

What kind of cardio program would you guys recommend for losing the last 10-15 lbs of fat? Preferably on a treadmill.

High Repetition workout routine.
Run OUTSIDE two or three times a week; Hills and/or Stairs preferably.

If you have to be inside, use the Stairmaster (Intervals), NOT the treadmill!

Zoe

IMO I think HIIT works best on a treadmill because it actually forces you to move your ass faster. Its also easier to gauge your intervals.

It really cuts down on the efficiency of switching tracks though. At least all the ones I've been on take forever to slow down/speed up. Other machines can at least up the resistance quickly.

I prefer my HIIT on a bike. If I have the balls, I will try the stairstepper. I know my fat ass will miss a step and fall hard lol.

I prefer my HIIT on a bike. If I have the balls, I will try the stairstepper. I know my fat ass will miss a step and fall hard lol.

hahaha that's me too, but that's the thrill, and adrenaline helps lose weight!

There was luncheon at work today and Just ate 5 slices of pizza, couple cookies and a piece of pie like nothing. Not even feeling full or bloated. No bloat no guilt #yolo

Dude, you pics show you always ripped 0_0

I wish I was a fatass like you.

Speaking of which, I should incorporate HIIT on my off days to recover from the ass kickings Starting Strength gives me.

Szu

Brolic, Falling, and Sadetar, thanks for the nice comments.

Sadetar, I'm glad he looks like me. Now, I don't have to kill the postman.

Ironically, my brother does currently work for the post office.

There was luncheon at work today and Just ate 5 slices of pizza, couple cookies and a piece of pie like nothing. Not even feeling full or bloated. No bloat no guilt #yolo

Man that is exactly how I feel. If there is no bloat, then it is smooth sailings.

Dude, you pics show you always ripped 0_0

I wish I was a fatass like you.

Speaking of which, I should incorporate HIIT on my off days to recover from the ass kickings Starting Strength gives me.

Ha. Thx. But I am far from ripped. I am getting there though!

pretty much

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Eat eat eat.

sphinx

the piano man
I read this the wrong way at first lol but yes indeed. I would also agree with Vince in the sense that at least for me personally Press & OHP are kind of whatever and always have been, squats and dead lifts are my favorites and always will be. I stopped chasing milestones on the press movements and switched to volume and am a lot more satisfied with that kind of progress than the constant grind for an arbitrary bw multiple. So you have a lot of other areas for improvements and they just happen to be the two with bigger overall potential totals in any context, look forward to that!

Well you seem to have had a great time in your pride :) I am going to the Madrid Pride week first week in July and I am absolutely NOT ready to take off my shirt, lol regardless of cuts or bulks, I feel too small to ever feel comfortable showing off.

and Abs are not in place so no shirt off, might sound superficial but that's how it is. I don't feel like embarassing myself showing fat on my lower back and a bloat, I gotta have some standards.

but we'll see, I am upping cardio and being more careful with what I eat and there's still some weeks till Madrid. if I ever resemble a beach body in the next weeks I'll make sure to post it in Cooter's thread.

yeah, I agree with everything you say, will look for strength goals on Squat and DL for the time being.

Least favourable lift?: Benchpress.

My ROM is fucking broad. I have super long arms - they almost extend to my knees!. Which means I have a longer/larger movement travel distance.

The day I'll be benching 80 Kg without trouble will be a good day.

I remember that now. I remember that dude.

Highluxury, I was thinking about you in the shower this morning (ooo) and I'm so fucking proud of your progress, man. Still.

Thanks man, I appreciate it greatly. You also deserve praise for being encouraging and helpful.

Its kinda funny remembering back when I was skinnyfat and had moobs, prior to lifting/working out. I used to be pretty chubby and depressed before I changed to a healthier and more positive lifestyle. Just the fact that I can somewhat make out my core (abs), see an overall lower BF, feel strong and sense an improvement of my mental concentration and focus has made me a happier man.

Truth be told I even contemplated suicide before I started working out. I abused alcohol as a substance to escape reality. I've been through some hardships. I have seen shit and experienced shit I wouldn't want for anybody to endure. Life can be rough, and I've been hit to the ground more than once. In a sense its been a blessing in disguise, I guess.

Lifting has kinda made it easier to cope with the past.

I already wrote some new personal target milestones for this upcoming bulk and progression for this new year cycle:

Weightlifting:

Benchpress 100Kg 1x1

OHP: minimum 60 Kg 1x1

+Buy weightlift shoes

+Buy belt

Kendo:

+Buy 'Men' (protective headgear)

+Buy 'Gi' (armour uniform)

Heres to a new year full of snow, blizzards, cold, rain and storms!

Ashodin

I do this!

Also guys I'm getting more serious about my workout. I've signed up for a free trial of a gym, which I will be going to later today instead of my usual thing, and also bought some Quest bars (Brownie and Cinnamon roll). I'm ready to do this!

As for my comments previous about not having time or the ability to go to a gym, I said fuck it and worked out a solution that benefits me. YEAHHHHHHHH

Zoe

I don't use the stairsteppers because they're the nastiest machines in the whole gym. I'm talking waterfalls when people are using them.

(plus I have a bad history with stairs, enough to scare me away from doing step classes)

Ughhhh

Between my tailbone hurting and my hands all jacked up and callused, they might as well rebuild me with robot parts.

But goddammit, I'm not giving up on getting to 3 plates in my core lifts!

Ashodin

I don't use the stairsteppers because they're the nastiest machines in the whole gym. I'm talking waterfalls when people are using them.

(plus I have a bad history with stairs, enough to scare me away from doing step classes)

Yeah I sweat up a storm on those, rofl

sphinx

the piano man
regarding cardio, I hate everything that isn't running outdoors. I despise treadmills, elypticals, static bikes and whatever fancy equipment the fitness world has come up with to make people lose weight.

I need air, sun, people around, nature and variety.

it's good that my course has several hills and steps so I don't just run on a flat surface mindlessly :)

regarding cardio, I hate everything that isn't running outdoors. I despise treadmills, elypticals, static bikes and whatever fancy equipment the fitness world has come up with to make people lose weight.

I need air, sun, people around, nature and variety.

it's good that my course has several hills and steps so I don't just run on a flat surface mindlessly :)

Are you telling me you don't appreciate the hot, humid odore of sweat in a confined space?

Blasphemy.

Cudder

OHP day today and took Rage's advice and tried to do 3x3 instead of 1x5.

I got the first set of 3, 2nd set I only got 2, and nearly broke my back trying to get the third rep up. I honestly think I'm DONE with upping the weight for OHP unless I'm doing singles.

175lbs by the way.

rage1973

OHP day today and took Rage's advice and tried to do 3x3 instead of 1x5.

I got the first set of 3, 2nd set I only got 2, and nearly broke my back trying to get the third rep up. I honestly think I'm DONE with upping the weight for OHP unless I'm doing singles.

175lbs by the way.

It's time to move on from linear gains and use some more advanced training methods now.

TylerD

Decided to sign up for a gym and ready to make some big gains after doing resistance band / body weight / all-in-one cable/pulley based machine stuff for the past 8 months and getting tired of it.

Feelsgoodman to be moving some free weight around even if it's not a lot....yet!

Right now i'm pretty lean with some definition 6'0'' 168 lbs and looking to get to around the 180-183lb range and will begin using the routines in the OP starting next Monday.

Doing back/biceps/abs today after legs yesterday and chest/abs the day before. I'm really sore but feel amazing right now. I was a hard sell on the membership and got all fee's waved including a 40 one-time upkeep fee and they threw in a card for 24 free smoothies at 5-6 bucks a piece. Ex Gold's location, tons of everything you could ever want, about 300 check ins a day at the one Im going to and it has been slow right after work.

$40 a month, 5 locations all classes included. I can't complain too much

Sadetar

EDIT: Does anybody know anything about BodyPump and BodyBalance classes? I noticed that my summer gym offers tons of different classes and those are this week available on times when I wouldn't be at work (meaning I could actually go and try them out).

Brolic, Falling, and Sadetar, thanks for the nice comments.

Sadetar, I'm glad he looks like me. Now, I don't have to kill the postman.

Ironically, my brother does currently work for the post office.
Hahaha, I always love your comments and photos! :D

My coworkers generally think I must have lost my mind when I am just giggling there all alone.

Huge lurker here, occasional poster. Thought I'd jump on the pics train since I was fairly happy with how I looked today, and would like to start posting more often.

Currently running PHAT so I'm lifting 5 times per week, which has helped me get some more size and definition over the past couple of months, which has been my focus. I did mostly 5/3/1 or a variation of the Lean Gains programs for the year before that, but was kind of spinning my wheels on 5/3/1 and got bored with Lean Gains.

Current Stats:

Height: 5'11''
Weight: 176 lbs
Squat: 2x5x310 (only got 4 on the last one, will get 5 next time)
Bench: 3x5x225 (just reached, super excited!)
Deadlift: 1x5x415; Max lifted 465
Bent Over Row: 3x5x210

Beyond lifting, I play flag football and dek hockey once a week. I may do some other HIT or an occasional run to clear my head but tend to keep cardio to walking beyond sports. Going for them summer cuts right now, could stand to lose a little more around the midsection / lower back. I should get there relatively soon!

Here's some progress pics of me today after the back and shoulders hypertrophy day. I was flexing the hell out of my abs in these pics and had a huge pump in my back, so I'm not normally quite as cut up.

CkewfnAl.jpg

gQE8zvwl.jpg

pNr0Z6al.jpg
The photos are pure <3.

I am always so delighted to notice that there is smashing lurkers like this who delight my day with this kind of posts. I am looking forward to hear more from you.

Thank you! As far as your back is concerned I would recommend a linear program like SS starting from the 45 lb barbell weight. You will know when things are too heavy or uncomfortable and this process will help you get better at listening to your body.
For a second there I was thinking about nazi Germany. I ended up googling it. I found many different programs that were referring to SS though. Some say to add 5 lbs every week... Do you have anything particular web site in your mind that I could check out?

Oh and thank you Pete! You are always so sweet and lovely! Your posts make me smile. ^_^

You can only hurt your back with improper form/heavy weights.

heres a good video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40p1qQZTNRw
Thanks sweetie pie!

I looked that up (like the rest of the links). Good tips and I am sure to try to remember at least some of them... With time and practice I will hopefully get it right and safe. And yes, I am not going to add that much weight before I am sure that my form is alright and that I can check it from my physiotherapist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom