• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm no expert, but I've heard that that's too few calories and could trigger your body to go into starvation mode, which is unhealthy and will also make it harder to lose weight. Be careful.

Starvation mode and absolute minimum "don't cross this line or u die" calorie levels are both kind of bullshit (short light females may need to go below that) but there IS truth to the fact that at some point you simply won't have the room to eat enough food to provide your body the vitamins, minerals, and other essential MICROnutrients it needs, to say nothing of protein for maintaining muscle and the essential fatty acids (omega 3s). And dieting tends to uncounsciously lower non-exercise activity thermogenesis, moreso as calories are more and more restricted.

Anything more extreme than The Rapid Fat Loss Handbook (which I and several people here have done) is just setting yourself up for more misery and no better results.

I use to go on 2 week crash diets in the middle of the summer when I was in college. It would shred me the fuck up but I would gain it back within a month or 2. Its not sustainable by any means

Allforce

Something clicked in my head over the last week and I finally decide to get right with my diet plus exercise. I'm not completely out of shape, but I'm pushing 212-215 most days and I'm 6"1. I'd like to lose 20-25 lbs over the next 6 months and then re-evaluate.

I've basically done a lot of research on low carb/high fat diets and am attempting this, but it's a big shock the kinds of things that are off limits. That said I've concocted some interesting things to eat this week so I guess I need some affirmation that I'm eating the right things.

Some examples:

Wed:
Breakfast - 2 egg omelet cooked in butter, small amount of shredded cheese
Lunch - Green leaf salad with cucumbers, cut carrots, onions, tomatoes, and some deli meat chicken sliced up. Small amount of Italian dressing
Dinner - Scrambled eggs and one small pancake. no syrup, butter only.

Thur:
Breakfast - 3 egg omelet, small amount of cheese
Lunch - 2 veggie-burger patties, gouda cheese, and homemade salsa on top
Dinner - Corned beef sandwich on wheat bread. Celery sticks with hummus.

Snacks are mostly some grapes here and there, and salted peanuts.

Am I off to a good start or is this just silly? I know the bread is bad but I have to eat SOME carbs and I want to stay around 50-100 per day. Or should I just be avoiding ALL carbs at the start here?

Thanks for any advice!

agrajag

Banned
I like this video
http://youtu.be/BYKScL2sgCs]
His cue for the leg drive really clicked with me.

This video is great, you always provide great info, dude!

The link is broken though, due to an extra bracket, here's one that works:

http://youtu.be/BYKScL2sgCs

edit: the most helpful part for me was finding the sweet spot with your feet placement in order to apply force with your legs without your butt lifting off the bench. I've never really understood what it means to apply force through leg drive. Can't wait to try this out.

This video is great, you always provide great info, dude!

The link is broken though, due to an extra bracket, here's one that works:

http://youtu.be/BYKScL2sgCs

edit: the most helpful part for me was finding the sweet spot with your feet placement in order to apply force with your legs without your butt lifting off the bench. I've never really understood what it means to apply force through leg drive. Can't wait to try this out.

Oh yeah these are great videos. I use this guy all the time for first timers and even guys that have benched for a long time. Awesome principles. A proper bench press and pull up will save your shoulders for life. I am going for more of a body building look so I have had to adapt it to allow a bit more stretch for my chest for growth but it really is great.

I'm going to go ahead be a little less shy and finally put up a progress pic for myself. My goals are a bit different in that I love cardio work, so I'm always going to be keeping a close eye on any bulk that I put on and keeping my overall weight lower. Also, I fully agree with the OP in regards to the importance of barbell training in a gym, but it's just not something that I find fun (or that I find the time for) so I just do body weight work.

I don't have any dramatic before / after pictures, but about 2-3 years ago I started to get a bit pudgy moving into my late 20s (I wrestled before then, so I used to be a rail) so I picked up trail running. I got really into trail running up to doing an ultramarathon, but I realized that I was starting to actually not like the way that I looked as I was too skinny and shedding both muscle and fat. So this last year I moved into a balance of running less (and less super long distances in particular) while trying to add in a planned body weight progression. I feel like it's headed in the direction that I want so if next summer I can be at about the same BF% but 5-10 lbs heavier then I'll be a happy camper.

Smaller.JPG

Go_Ly_Dow

was really low on my calorie intake today due to missing breakfast and not taking much food to work so just blitzed together a shake of 500ml full milk, 2-3 tablespoons of peanut butter and a full scoop for choc whey. downed it in two.

so sickly it gave me a massive shiver...but what must be done must be done!

His depth is fine, it only needs to hit lower sternum. His arch and leg drive need work though.

oh right so the bar doesn't need to touch the chest?

I dont know it it was Chocobro (he always provides awesome form videos) or someone else that posted Alan Thrall's How to Squat but yea that vid I def recommend.

CrankyJay

Banned
Decided to do squats today anyway...legs feel sore but okay.

Form check please, I feel I'm screwing up something here. I feel I'm doing a few things wrong. Took off a lot of weight because I want to get this right.

http://youtu.be/iTF8M0XJSUM

The other video is still publishing, I'll edit this post when it's done.

edit: other video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arSMXAxH9hg&feature=youtu.be

I'm 6'2...so I feel I have some core strength/flexibility issues getting low enough.

Wider stance? I feel my knees are pushing out in front of my feet too far.

Any help?

SeanR1221

I dont know it it was Chocobro (he always provides awesome form videos) or someone else that posted Alan Thrall's How to Squat but yea that vid I def recommend.

Yeah that was the first one that really clicked with me.

Id probably put Alan as one of my favorite fitness YouTube personalities.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
So, I started focusing on a calisthenics routine after reading Convict Conditioning a couple of weeks ago, and I gotta say, this stuff seems legit. Maybe it's just my body responding to it much better than weight training, but progress seems to be coming quickly. Doing it almost daily for around 30-or-so sessions and I quickly find myself getting better at the exercises.

Still have a long ways to go before I'm doing one-arm handstand pushups, but I find myself really enjoying this body weight stuff. I haven't hit the weights in a while, but I feel like I've actually gained strength. I think I'll put it to the test in a few months by trying to set some new PRs to see if this strength translates to lifting heavy objects.

CrankyJay

Banned
So, I started focusing on a calisthenics routine after reading Convict Conditioning a couple of weeks ago, and I gotta say, this stuff seems legit. Maybe it's just my body responding to it much better than weight training, but progress seems to be coming quickly. Doing it almost daily for around 30-or-so sessions and I quickly find myself getting better at the exercises.

Still have a long ways to go before I'm doing one-arm handstand pushups, but I find myself really enjoying this body weight stuff. I haven't hit the weights in a while, but I feel like I've actually gained strength. I think I'll put it to the test in a few months by trying to set some new PRs to see if this strength translates to lifting heavy objects.

This time next year I expect to see some video of you walking down the street on your hands! =)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
That would be awesome! Right now I'm working on doing crow stands (image not me):

crowstand.JPG

I couldn't do them at all a week ago, but now I'm up to around 20~30 seconds before I lose my balance. The progression goal is a full two minutes, so I still have a way to go.

Cooper

Very cool. I've also been doing some basic calisthenics, though as a supplement to weight bearing exercises. My goal is more humble - I want to be able to do a basic pull-up for reps. I'd be tickled to reach a set of 8. Yesterday I set a PR of 5 unassisted chin-ups.

Definitely post progress videos/photos/thoughts as you proceed!

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I skipped my post workout protein shake and Red Bull today. Instead I made a fantastic bowl of 2 cups of Greek yogurt, 2 scoops of chocolate mint protein, and a half cup of bran buds! Check this out... 680 calories. 110 gs of protein. 20 gs of fiber. But most importantly, it tastes delicious!

Sadetar

I went to work today but didn't feel well enough to go gym still. It feels like there is a delighful little spiky snails living in my throat. This whole thing hasn't been not at all that bad though and I did find my new favourite tea kind product. Pukka - Three Cinnamon hot drink is the best ever. It actually tastes what is smells like so if you love cinnamon as much as I do I can quarantee you will really love this one. I recommend everyone to try! It is so awesome for all the moments when I am having a sweet tooth. :p

Also since I didn't go to gym I had time to meet up with my seamstress. I have quite many clothes I have been waiting for her to sew smaller for me. Also she actually provided my measurements from late January and took my measures today so I can actually do a proper comparison.

During these seven months I have lost:

From the widest point on the chest -11 cm / 4,4 inches
From the slimmest point on the waist -22,5 cm / 8,9 inches
From the widest point on the hips -10 cm / 3,9 inches

I am hoping to end up with a nice hourglass figure and if I am looking at those measurements I think it is definitely going to the right direction. Chest is still the widest part though. I don't know will my genes support it, but I would totally love to have a hip / waist ratio in a way that my waist would be around 65-70% of the diameter of the hip. For example 60 cm / 23,6 inches waist and 90 cm / 35,4 inches hip or 70 cm / 27,6 inches waist and 100 cm / 39,4 inches hip. It is still a long way to go and we will see what I end up being. :p

Today it seems I looked like this at work:
2014_08_29.jpg

I had a weight loss challenge at work over the last 2 months and today was the final weigh in. I have been super good with my diet, no soda, working out a lot. My only downfall is a had a few beers here and there.

I WON!!! I took home $400. I ended up losing 30 pounds. My girlfriend lost 15 pounds too. We even went on vacation for 10 days and still lost weight.

I'm pretty proud of myself right now. And that $400 just paid for my PS4.
That is great to hear! Awesome job honey! That is a hell of a lot to lose during only two months! Congratulations for the win as well. :D

I'm going to go ahead be a little less shy and finally put up a progress pic for myself.
Hey sweetie, I can't see your pic. I am crying a bit inside since I am missing the awesomeness of you.

Can you do something to fix this huge flaw in this otherwise quite brilliant world?

That would be awesome! Right now I'm working on doing crow stands (image not me):

crowstand.JPG

I couldn't do them at all a week ago, but now I'm up to around 20~30 seconds before I lose my balance. The progression goal is a full two minutes, so I still have a way to go.
That is so awesome! Very impressive that you can actually already hold it for nearly half a minute! I am so waiting to see pics from you in the future. :p

I skipped my post workout protein shake and Red Bull today. Instead I made a fantastic bowl of 2 cups of Greek yogurt, 2 scoops of chocolate mint protein, and a half cup of bran buds! Check this out... 680 calories. 110 gs of protein. 20 gs of fiber. But most importantly, it tastes delicious!
That does actually sound really good. :p What protein brand you were using?

FStop7

Banned
Anyone else have issues with indigestion when you're working out a lot?

I had a lot of trouble sleeping last night because my stomach was constantly turning.

Today, it's the same thing. I had a piece of baked salmon on field greens for lunch and my stomach has been churning all afternoon, and I feel... bloated. I think I need to go buy some Gas-X or something.

This never happened until I started working out again.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
That does actually sound really good. :p What protein brand you were using?
It's called Forza Pro. A buddy turned me on to it. They sell it at a store called NutriShop. It's yummy. Peanut butter banana is excellent also.

And you're looking super cute! Great picture.

Anyone else have issues with indigestion when you're working out a lot?

I had a lot of trouble sleeping last night because my stomach was constantly turning.

Today, it's the same thing. I had a piece of baked salmon on field greens for lunch and my stomach has been churning all afternoon, and I feel... bloated. I think I need to go buy some Gas-X or something.

This never happened until I started working out again.
Are you taking any protein powders? Some people are sensitive to them GI wise.

Thanks Matthew Gallant for the suggestions. I think my belt placement is what's causing my slight lower back rounding. I felt some slight discomfort trying to get into starting position

Leeness

I am myself leaving on 20th of October and I will be gone a week. :D Lets see do I manage to drop around 4 kilos / 8 pounds before that like I am planning to.

With all honesty, if 1200 cals aren't doing it for you, you are eating too little. I would say I eat roughly around 1500 per day.

You can do it! October is so soon, you'll have a great time :)

I can't do over 1200-1300, I just can't. It makes me sick just thinking about it. :/ the only time I will is days at my parents, and on my trip, but normal eating days? I can't. It makes me want to throw up.

I think this approach will just disappoint you more. A "cleanse" over the course of a week will probably temporarily drop several pounds of water weight, plus maybe a pound or two of real fat. You'll also most likely be tired and unhappy. Injuring yourself working out is never a good recipe for anyone.

Again, you need a new approach. Instead of starving, you could try intermittent fasting, for example. Essentially, you'd get your "cleanse"/no food in the morning (or evening if you prefer), and then 2-4 real meals in the other half of the day. Several people on here eat this way and could help.

As for your workout, maybe a bodyweight one would be more appealing to you. A properly done program could help you keep your strength while you lose fat, and free you from worrying about external weight loads.

Eh, cleanse out all the carbs consumed in Europe haha. Penance. Same with the potentially injuring myself during work outs. My "results" the last four months is so pathetic, I absolutely deserve it.

I kind of do intermittent fasting over the weekends (I usually don't eat until 4 or so) and I may start seeing how that works for me when I come back from my trip.

What kind of program? :(

You have ignored all the good advice you're been given, and you failed in your goals. Instead of stepping back and reevaluating, you're doubling down on all the stuff that didn't work.

If you increases activity and decrease calories, you are setting yourself up to fail. Then what?

You're an attractive woman with a body that is very appealing, and you're going to ruin your health with counter productive behaviors that have been proven not only to not work, but have the opposite effect of what you want.

You seem really nice, but it hurts to see you punishing yourself needlessly. Can you listen to these guys? They won't steer you wrong. If you can't, then, why are you here?

I don't ignore them. I changed some of my eating (more fats, less carbs) and changed some of my workouts (cut back on cardio and upped my strength stuff). I'm also thinking when the renos are done in my building, I will get a key for the exercise room. It has a weight rack...thing.

But I'm also not going to eat more on a daily basis. That is the one thing I refuse to do. Eating is bad for me, no matter what it is I eat. I can't do it. The thought of it gives me anxiety and makes me nauseous.

J. Bravo

You can do it! October is so soon, you'll have a great time :)

I can't do over 1200-1300, I just can't. It makes me sick just thinking about it. :/ the only time I will is days at my parents, and on my trip, but normal eating days? I can't. It makes me want to throw up.

if that's all you eat and you push yourself too hard, you're going to get sick. you sound like you need some kind of therapy or counseling the way that you post. until you can control yourself mentally, you won't control yourself physically. sorry for being a douche, but that's basically how i see it.

Chocobro

Aw thanks for saying that. I'm just trying to help others after I received a lot of help here. I started watching a lot of fitness and lifting videos every since I started, so why not. On a similar note, I should probably update my Evernote note with new links since it's in the OP (but who reads the OP for links amirite).
I think it was TylerD that posted that video first, I haven't heard of Alan Thrall until that post.

FStop7

Banned
Are you taking any protein powders? Some people are sensitive to them GI wise.

Thanks Matthew Gallant for the suggestions. I think my belt placement is what's causing my slight lower back rounding. I felt some slight discomfort trying to get into starting position

No powders, just food. But I am eating more lean protein than anything else.

GabDX

Banned

I've being following the CC program for about a year now and I love it. I think the only key exercise missing from this program is the inverted row (then the front lever once you're strong enough). Are you also doing the calf and grip exercises from the second book?

Cooper

What kind of program? :(

Looking at just this page of the thread, we appear to have several people following Convict Conditioning, which despite the cheesy name, is supposed to be a very nicely structured bodyweight program. I've also heard good things about You Are Your Own Gym.

But before worrying about that…

Same with the potentially injuring myself during work outs. My "results" the last four months is so pathetic, I absolutely deserve it.

But I'm also not going to eat more on a daily basis. That is the one thing I refuse to do. Eating is bad for me, no matter what it is I eat. I can't do it. The thought of it gives me anxiety and makes me nauseous.

I am concerned when I read statements like these. I'm no doctor, but reading these statements makes me think you'd benefit from seeing a real medical professional, preferably one with nutritional training.

I do hope your vacation gives you a chance to relax.

Cooper

During these seven months I have lost:

From the widest point on the chest -11 cm / 4,4 inches
From the slimmest point on the waist -22,5 cm / 8,9 inches
From the widest point on the hips -10 cm / 3,9 inches

It's always a nice feeling when the numbers and the pictures tell the same story - namely, awesome job. :)

J. Bravo

Why the fuck is a set of 4 at 320 so damn hard when I maxed at 375 two weeks ago exactly. Still got 3 more sets to go. Fucking smolov. I don't even know.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
was really low on my calorie intake today due to missing breakfast and not taking much food to work so just blitzed together a shake of 500ml full milk, 2-3 tablespoons of peanut butter and a full scoop for choc whey. downed it in two.

so sickly it gave me a massive shiver...but what must be done must be done!

oh right so the bar doesn't need to touch the chest?

The bar is touching his chest. The sternum is your chest. It's part of your rib cage.

agrajag

Banned
So I just tried using the Alan Thrall set up for my bench press, and man that shit is hard! A lot more difficult to remember/get every single detail right. I think it's going to take me months to get to anywhere even close to a proper bench press. He makes it look really easy in the video, but it's not. Damnit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom