• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

ldcommando

Banned
Okay, so I counted my macros today and I realize I've been completely undershooting my protein intake. It's only been about 60% of what I'm supposed to be taking in. So now I need some suggestions on foods high in protein that aren't milk or chicken.

Also, is it true you develop kidney stones from eating too much protein? And if so, how do you prevent it from happening?

beef, eggs, fish, greek yogurt, cottage cheese and something that I cannot remember the name right now, its killing me. And if you are not already using whey, you can add that to the list.

Edit: and about your second question, found this quote:
"Busting the Myth That High Protein Diets Lead to Kidney Stones

In the 1990s when the Atkins diet reached huge popularity, critics claimed that high protein intake leads to kidney stones. This turned out to be a complete myth, but the misinformation is still being circulated.

Although protein restricted diets are helpful for people who already have kidney disease, eating meat does not cause kidney problems[7]. Furthermore, the fat-soluble vitamins and saturated fat found in animal foods are pivotal for the proper functioning of your kidneys."

bokn

Banned
What are some good ways to develop the shoulder flexibility for low bar squats?

I think I hurt my shoulder a little trying to do some the other day. :/

Did I ever tell you guys about the time I chopped up a brownie Quest Bar and added it to vanilla ice cream? Seems like a great idea right? Well... It was delicious, but don't so it unless you want to break a tooth. Fucking ice cold Quest Bars are like straight rocks. Had to put some fucking work in trying to eat through it.

MrMuscle

Insane! Your legs are like a piece of art!

Thank you :)

awesome definition, you can see where is everything, you are a sculpture.

the only squat variations I do is pistol squats, I am starting to do them weighted. Other than that, it's the usual leg stuff, with Stiff-legged DL the absolute best thing for thighs I have in my repertoire.

I used to do heavy weight leg extensions, in the 6-8 rep range but now I am going for a with weight that allows me to go near 15, I like it better.

with high frequencey, do you mean high rep?? or intensity? like, doing many reps in a little time?

Thanks man.

With frequency i mean how often i train them. These days i do some leg work on every workout. So i hit the gym 5 days a week and every day i do some legs. yesterday i did front squats (heavy) and leg curls (high volume). Today I will do Reverse lunges (high volume), hip thurst (high volume) and leg extensions (heavy) - plus calf work.

My beliefs are that as long as you dont annihilate your body on every workout (something you really shouldnt be doing anyway), you will be able to train more frequent. My legs in particular can take alot of punishment, so i can do them very often. My chest needs a bit more rest so i hit that every other workout and so on.

Pakoe

Eating around 3k calories at this point, i really have to stuff it all down lol. Also have to watch the time, if i eat too late i have to stay up just to reach the right amount.

Did I ever tell you guys about the time I chopped up a brownie Quest Bar and added it to vanilla ice cream? Seems like a great idea right? Well... It was delicious, but don't so it unless you want to break a tooth. Fucking ice cold Quest Bars are like straight rocks. Had to put some fucking work in trying to eat through it.

I learned that lesson the hard way too, it's like gnawing away at a chunk of tree bark. "Frozen chocolate is best chocolate" does not apply when the majority of the item in question is made of protein and fiber :(

Feeling sore from the traps down to the ass, clearly I had a good deadlift session yesterday. Been trying to work on not rounding my upper back and I guess I succeeded.

So I've landed myself in a situation where I'm super broke, and basically where I can afford to go, there is only machines and shit.
I was a beginner until finances wiped out my gym shit and I went off of it for a month or two. I was doing a SL5x5 routine, but with only a smith machine, do i change routine, how should I adapt to what I have here?

Do you at least have dumbbells too? You can get a pretty solid workout with just machines and DBs; use the DBs for heavier compound stuff (presses, rows, split squats) and the machines for isolation afterwards.

Don't ever do any kind of lower rep strength-oriented stuff on a smith machine. The only acceptable 5x5 on a smith machine is straight-leg calf raises.

Ok here is me at 225 dead lift, it seems like my back is curved and my but is not going down enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYs3kiJFALY&list

I think the lesson here is what the regulars in here have said so many times before, you've got to leave your ego at the door. You shouldn't be trying to lift a huge amount of weight straight away you've got to build up to it whilst learning the right form. If you take that approach you won't find yourself deadlifting 225 pounds with an insanely arched back and risking life long injuries.

Everyone wants to skip the beginning phase of lifting and skip straight to the big weights. I think sometimes you've got to actually sit back and look at the maths of SS and how fast the weight moves up. Even if you start from just the bar you'll find yourself lifting big weights in no time. You'll see better results this way as well.

Don't be that guy who fucks his back up and ends up with a life of pain because you wanted to skip a few months of hard work before starting to lifting heavy weights.

Albo

Ugh, my elbow+shoulder joint pain's still persisting after a couple days. I can't perform well with my lifts at all, not even light weight, so frustrating going to the gym fired up but not being able to do anything. I think I might have golfers elbow. Doing all I can to treat this so I can get back in the gym asap.

Chocobro

What are some good ways to develop the shoulder flexibility for low bar squats?

I think I hurt my shoulder a little trying to do some the other day. :/

Brandon Campbell uploaded a video a few months ago about that. Give that a watch.
My go to shoulder mobility exercises are: shoulder dislocations, band pull-aparts, face pulls, face-pulls with external rotation, shoulder internal rotation, and SMR pec minor and medial head area of the shoulders. I do all of these with a resistance band and a lacrosse ball (for the SMRing). In general these could also improve your upper body posture if that's your kind of thing; video.

I am too use to shredding/cutting that its going to be tough increasing my calories and lowering my cardio output without feeling fat as my shredz will go away. Being shredded is the best feeling ever and tbh I have surpassed my strength all throughout this cut than I did on my bulk. Im way stronger 25lbs lighter.

I think the lesson here is what the regulars in here have said so many times before, you've got to leave your ego at the door. You shouldn't be trying to lift a huge amount of weight straight away you've got to build up to it whilst learning the right form. If you take that approach you won't find yourself deadlifting 225 pounds with an insanely arched back and risking life long injuries.

Everyone wants to skip the beginning phase of lifting and skip straight to the big weights. I think sometimes you've got to actually sit back and look at the maths of SS and how fast the weight moves up. Even if you start from just the bar you'll find yourself lifting big weights in no time. You'll see better results this way as well.

Don't be that guy who fucks his back up and ends up with a life of pain because you wanted to skip a few months of hard work before starting to lifting heavy weights.

Yeah I know I am just confused of the bending of the knees part it seems like I just need to bend my knees until I am at a point when my back is straight. I always tried to keep my knee bend to a minimum, which seems really wrong looking at the video.

Thank you :)

Thanks man.

With frequency i mean how often i train them. These days i do some leg work on every workout. So i hit the gym 5 days a week and every day i do some legs. yesterday i did front squats (heavy) and leg curls (high volume). Today I will do Reverse lunges (high volume), hip thurst (high volume) and leg extensions (heavy) - plus calf work.

My beliefs are that as long as you dont annihilate your body on every workout (something you really shouldnt be doing anyway), you will be able to train more frequent. My legs in particular can take alot of punishment, so i can do them very often. My chest needs a bit more rest so i hit that every other workout and so on.

I don't normally say this but absolutely gorgeous legs man. Truly pieces of art. Do you find that they have responded well to growth your whole life? I have trained them almost every which way I can think of from heavy super-sets 3 times a week to more intense shorter sessions every workout and they won't really do anything for me.

SeanR1221

Yeah I know I am just confused of the bending of the knees part it seems like I just need to bend my knees until I am at a point when my back is straight. I always tried to keep my knee bend to a minimum, which seems really wrong looking at the video.

Pull yourself into the bar, while pushing your feet into the floor and get into position. Keep the hamstrings and glutes tight. It's just gonna take practice and increasing your flexibility.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I am too use to shredding/cutting that its going to be tough increasing my calories and lowering my cardio output without feeling fat as my shredz will go away. Being shredded is the best feeling ever and tbh I have surpassed my strength all throughout this cut than I did on my bulk. Im way stronger 25lbs lighter.
Then don't bulk. Jump on the team maintain train! I'll save you a seat in the VIP section!

agrajag

Banned

If the bar is centered at the middle of your feet, you should bend your knees enough to the point that your shins touch the bar. Your shins should stay fairly vertical, if they are really angled it means you're still standing too far from your bar and it's not in the middle of your foot. When you pull, it should follow a vertical path, so it should scrape against your legs as you complete the movement.

Had some fun at the lake this summer and was pretty stoked on a couple shots:

izc5oWbEHtTw4.jpg

ibld5a0Sqd8GCP.jpg

Pete Rock

Then don't bulk. Jump on the team maintain train! I'll save you a seat in the VIP section!
Team Infinite Recomp assemble! I think there's at least four of us, and if my suspicions are correct Bruce makes it five. Good company.

Lovely, that rope climbing shot is really fantastic! If you cropped it just right, it would definitely look great framed and hung on a wall for display.

MrMuscles legs, ohhhhh *swoon*

Thank you all for staying positive and operating in the spirit of cooperation to help yankee become a better lifter, that is the kind of environment I like to see. It is always important to be critical and objective, but it is just as important to be supportive instead of dismissive if we are to truly help another.

Damn hard trying to get good macros as a vegan; seems like 90% of calories are from carbs. Even as a non-dairy vegetarian, although eggs help. But at 6 eggs a day, I feel like I've had enough of them for one day.

SeanR1221

Awesome shots!

Drink it in haters!
20140625_160025.jpg~320x480

I missed this before. This is a great family picture

Thank you all for staying positive and operating in the spirit of cooperation to help yankee become a better lifter, that is the kind of environment I like to see. It is always important to be critical and objective, but it is just as important to be supportive instead of dismissive if we are to truly help another.

Agreed. We don't need this placing turning into BB.com

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Save me that seat than because I will test that out. 2794 calories seem like soooooooo much :) after going 1400-2100 range for months.
Officially reserved! You will love it.

Thanks for all the nice comments on the picture of my kids and I. I'm proud of all of them. Each one is a great person with a big heart. :)

abuC

Well, my entire program has to change now, I have a Firefighter physical test in November and I need a lot more endurance and speed.

Well, my entire program has to change now, I have a Firefighter physical test in November and I need a lot more endurance and speed.

What are the goals that you have to hit, and how far away from them are you? I know that I'm one of at least a few in this thread who balances running / endurance with weight training.

Speaking of endurance and speed, what are some of your recommendations for HIIT treadmill workouts? I'm currently doing a 20 sec sprint and 40 sec rest x 10

Speaking of endurance and speed, what are some of your recommendations for HIIT treadmill workouts? I'm currently doing a 20 sec sprint and 40 sec rest x 10
I do 30 sec/30 sec for 4 miles once a week, I do them outside I don't like treadmills. I can still run a 6 minute mile but those tests are usually more distance, like 3 mile runs.

Note: I have been more on the the running end of the spectrum, I pretty much started strength building last year

I do 30 sec/30 sec for 4 miles once a week, I do them outside I don't like treadmills. I can still run a 6 minute mile but those tests are usually more distance, like 3 mile runs.

Note: I have been more on the the running end of the spectrum, I pretty much started strength building last year
Yea i hate treadmills, usually I do hill sprints but I woke up too late

CrankyJay

Banned
Meh. Bailing on leg day tomorrow. I tweaked a calf somehow last week and then this morning was doing some weighted hyper extensions and tweaked a hamstring. It just feels sore but I don't want to risk really aggravating either one. Will still work on shoulders.

Sean, for your bench were you touching shirt or stopping a little bit above?

SeanR1221

Meh. Bailing on leg day tomorrow. I tweaked a calf somehow last week and then this morning was doing some weighted hyper extensions and tweaked a hamstring. It just feels sore but I don't want to risk really aggravating either one. Will still work on shoulders.

Sean, for your bench were you touching shirt or stopping a little bit above?

Touching, its just a little bit of a weird angle.

TopDreg

So, I decided to order the Arby's Meat Mountain promptly after lifting today. Life is good, although I feel a tad slower than normal.

Hi fitgaf this is my first time posting here. I've been overweight all my life and i decided to make a change and i lost 10kg over spring. I'm a 22 year old 5'10 male currently weighing 84kg. The only thing i've been doing is just running (about 3 miles a day) and it's been great for my weight loss. Recently i decided that i'm giving myself a year to achieve a body like this

I've never gotten into fitness seriously before so i have tons of questions :

1) Do i need to use free weights to achieve a body like that? Or would machines or at home exercises also work fine?

2) What's the best way for me to go about achieving this?

Sorry for the noob questions but i'm totally out of the loop on this! Thanks

Cudder

Ok, I think I have my back straight now (after a good 30 minutes of just the short bar, and a day of air deadlifts). This is with the short bar (not sure the weight) and 2 45's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlCzfa-1Irs

It's still very rounded. You look like you're rushing your set. You really need to slow it down and do a mental checklist AS you're doing the reps to make sure you're doing it right. You need to just use the bar. Forget adding plates man. Your form still needs serious work, and it's not something that's going to come just from doing "30 mins of the short bar" and a day of "air deadlifts". Correcting your form could take weeks/months.

It's still very rounded. You look like you're rushing your set. You really need to slow it down and do a mental checklist AS you're doing the reps to make sure you're doing it right. You need to just use the bar. Forget adding plates man. Your form still needs serious work, and it's not something that's going to come just from doing "30 mins of the short bar" and a day of "air deadlifts". Correcting your form could take weeks/months.
Yeah it seems like I need to gain more flexibility. I noticed their are still humps too. I plan to be working on the form itself for a couple of weeks I just wanted to see the height difference of the bar when I add weights. I might just buy a bar to have at home just so I can work on my form in leisure time.

Leeness

Lol. Well. I'd say these last four months did nothing. From end of May until now.

I look pretty much the same.

I go on my trip with a heavy heart and fuck it, imma eat whatever I want there and then come back and work twice as hard. Eat less, work out harder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom