• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matugi

Had a breakthrough realization with my high bar squat form today that I wasn't dropping down between my legs enough, which was leading to unnecessary strain on my hip flexors and especially on my lower back. Looking forward to see what kinda difference it makes tomorrow

Sadetar

Muscles I didn't even think I own are sore. Today I had one of the best work outs ever. I accidentally ended up talking to one of the epic beasts at the gym. The discussion started innocently from calves and ended to squats. He recommended goblet squats since they are easy to noobies like me. He was also extremely adorable and even if I didn't ask, he came to show me how they are done. I did couple, he showed me how I was doing them and said what to correct. This was after my normal work out and I was already totally dead. If he wouldn't have been ridiculously hot I am sure I wouldn't have had the energy to try them that many times. I did couple more and he agreed that they were better than my first ones. I thanked him and said I am going to check them from youtube and work with them to get better.

Now I damn better do that since that lad seems to be at the gym quite often when I am there. I was already like a drooling idiot nearly falling down and talking about goblin squads so next time I see him I need to be able to say I have been a good girl and working with the squat. Can anyone link me a legit video/page to learn them from? I know the basics at the moment quite well but breaking it into smaller steps to get it right would be very helpful.

...I am by the way also sure I would be totally embarrassed by everything that came out of my mouth while talking to him if I wouldn't be so excited about this movement. At least my motivation is extremely high. Why oh why I don't normally hang around with friendly and helpful monsters who know how to lift... At the moment I am utterly jealous to all of your girlfriends/boyfriends.

You flirty flirtatious flirter you!! I'd respond with something equally good but I don't want to annoy people with our side conversations! ;-)
*pat pat* Attaboy. :p

Could be the tensor fasciae latae? It's a long, mostly tendinous muscle that helps in stabilizing hip extension and abducting the knee, it goes from the iliac crest through the tibiae capitis, passing externally onto the knee capsula.
Inflammation of this tendinous portion is usually treated with the stop and go method (in runners, though) and cryotherapy (apply ice).

No, the pain is literally on my knee, on the outside of each. It's certainly not muscle pain. It must be down to having my feet point out too far, or maybe too wide.

keezy

No, the pain is literally on my knee, on the outside of each. It's certainly not muscle pain. It must be down to having my feet point out too far, or maybe too wide.

Sounds like tendinitis. Have you looked up stretching/foam rolling techniques? I've had tendinitis in my knees for a while now. It's a huge pain in the butt.

Edit: My routine before I train legs is Tiger balm on my knees, ride the bike for 5 minutes or so, and I have a pair of knee sleeves from EliteFTS. That seemed to help.

Zero2kz

Speaking of hip pain...

I appear to be 100% healed for my shoulder injury and my recent back injury seems to be doing a lot better (pain was in the mid back). The pain wasn't ever that severe, but it prohibited me from lifting. X-Rays showed some pre-existing conditions, with was a minor amount of arthritis and a slight narrowing of the lumbar spine.

I have been doing nothing but rest these past few weeks, but starting on Friday, my back pain started to radiate in my very low back on the inside of my right hip. Was fairly minor Friday evening, but even from doing nothing but laying around this weekend, it has gotten a lot worse. The pain is the worst when transitioning from seated to standing and vice versa. When I stand up, pain radiates in my right hip, but will eventually go away after walking around for about a minute. And it hurts to poop. The pain does not shoot down my leg and there doesn't appear to be any weakness or tingling in my leg.

Pain is alleviated from laying down for extended periods of time. Pain is severe when laying on my back and lifting my leg straight up. The doctor did this test on me on Thursday and it was perfectly fine, but it started a day later. I was going to call back the hospital today to schedule a session or two of physical therapy for my back issues and will get the doctors opinion on this new pain.

Has anyone had anything like this before, possibly from a back injury? Literally when one injury heals I get another, and this time I was doing nothing but resting. This is really destroying my motivation.

Update on this. Went to physical therapy and they said it was likely a pinched Sciatic nerve. Which explains why the injury was located in the back and has radiated down into my hip and knee. Gave me some stretches to do 9-10 times a day. Has gotten immensely better in the last few days.

Doctor said I should be 100% in under 2 weeks of doing these stretches.

Sounds like tendinitis. Have you looked up stretching/foam rolling techniques? I've had tendinitis in my knees for a while now. It's a huge pain in the butt.

Edit: My routine before I train legs is Tiger balm on my knees, ride the bike for 5 minutes or so, and I have a pair of knee sleeves from EliteFTS. That seemed to help.

Thats something to think about, thanks. Maybe I'm not pointing my feet out too far then and it's just a one off.

Snowdrift

Hit failure for the first time today. It was a bit embarrassing, but good motivation to improve my balance. I tried barbell lunges right after I finished my squats because I feel my leg day is a bit light. On the third move, my left knee wobbled and dropped to the floor. Thankfully, the guy next to me immediately realized that I wouldn't be able to stand back up and offered to help me recover.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
Add me to the 225lbs bench group!

I can do 3 sets of 5 reps each. So happy I could cry. Done it twice now.

Now I need to work on my deadlift and squat. I think I'm staying at 225 for bench for a long while.

Szu

Daggit, I tweaked way too manyy things over the past three weeks. Part of the blame goes to my new job. I just started working full-time again. For the past four months, I was a stay at home dad.

The change in my schedule really fucked with my workouts. First, it was my lower back. Then, something happened to my left shoulder on chest day. Now, my right heel is acting up.

I'm getting too old for this shit.

Other then that, I'm doing swell.

CrankyJay

Banned
Update on this. Went to physical therapy and they said it was likely a pinched Sciatic nerve. Which explains why the injury was located in the back and has radiated down into my hip and knee. Gave me some stretches to do 9-10 times a day. Has gotten immensely better in the last few days.

Doctor said I should be 100% in under 2 weeks of doing these stretches.

Any chance you can find these stretches online and share them? Would really appreciate it.

Bowser

Forgot to mention that upping my carbs a tad helped out - was able to put up 3x5 110 lbs OHP on Monday (which I failed last Wednesday). Wasn't easy, but I got it up
that's what she said
. Let's see what happens with 115 on Friday lol.

Forgot to mention that upping my carbs a tad helped out - was able to put up 3x5 110 lbs OHP on Monday (which I failed last Wednesday). Wasn't easy, but I got it up
that's what she said
. Let's see what happens with 115 on Friday lol.

Agh, OHP. The exercise that always, without fail, makes me realize that I have much farther to go.

Pete Rock

Any chance you can find these stretches online and share them? Would really appreciate it.
Cat to Camel to Child
Cat to Mountain/Downward Dog

Knees to Chest
Eagle Twist (left/right)
Butterfly (relaxation)

You can link the first two movement sequences together or independently cycle them for increased circulation and blood flow in those areas. The last three are a little more independent poses in the sense that you have a starting position and a finishing position and there isn't much sequencing between them.

They are all really good for your low back and hip health. Eagle Twist and Mountain will be particularly difficult if that area is tight and producing radiating pain. Butterfly is my favorite relaxation position as it is a "hip opener".

grumble

Toes should be out about 30 degrees from pointing straight forward. 60 degrees would put a ton of stress on the knee. Also, some get knee pain from knees either caving in or going out too far. The knee should track over the foot. Also possibly right illiotibial bands can hurt. Foam roll and massage.

Tabasco

I plan to go back to the gym today after a 4-5 month hiatus.

Is there anything you guys recommend to help ease back the transition?

I'm going to be lifting weights and using the elliptical machine like I was doing for cardio.

Prior to the hiatus I was attending 3 days a week (sometimes I would skip days) for about 6 months. I gave up because I saw no gains and it wasn't making me happy.

I'm just going back because I have nothing better to do at home and I need my exercise.

agrajag

Banned
You have to look at your routine and figure out why it wasn't working. Were you doing random bullshit withwweights? Were you getting enough sleep? Eating enough?

CrankyJay

Banned
Cat to Camel to Child

Knees to Chest
Eagle Twist (left/right)
Butterfly (relaxation)

You can link the first two movement sequences together or independently cycle them for increased circulation and blood flow in those areas. The last three are a little more independent poses in the sense that you have a starting position and a finishing position and there isn't much sequencing between them.

They are all really good for your low back and hip health. Eagle Twist and Mountain will be particularly difficult if that area is tight and producing radiating pain. Butterfly is my favorite relaxation position as it is a "hip opener".

This is precisely what I need....since my wife had a kid, I've been having weird symptoms with hip and lower back pain (probably from bending over into crib, bending over to put kid in car seat, carrying kid mainly on my right side).

Been getting occasional sciatica and pain in my hip while walking.

Tabasco

You have to look at your routine and figure out why it wasn't working. Were you doing random bullshit withwweights? Were you getting enough sleep? Eating enough?
I was kind of doing my own thing with the weight lifting, but I felt like I was actually trying. I did squats, military presses, deadlifts, and sometimes even barbell rows.

On the elliptical I was going at it at my own pace for maybe 15 minutes to half an hour. I might have to push myself harder than that but I also don't want to spend too long exercising.

sphinx

the piano man
Daggit, I tweaked way too manyy things over the past three weeks. Part of the blame goes to my new job. I just started working full-time again. For the past four months, I was a stay at home dad.

The change in my schedule really fucked with my workouts. First, it was my lower back. Then, something happened to my left shoulder on chest day. Now, my right heel is acting up.

I'm getting too old for this shit.

Other then that, I'm doing swell.

yeah getting old sucks :/

on my part, I am doing well regarding my body, my hand is 99% healed now I am now starting to forget I even had an injury.

But Strength goals are out of the question for the forseeable future, anything above ~120 lbs on bench triggers the pain, just slightly but there's your body telling you "leave it, this is not good"

seeing all the strength achievements here makes me depressed, the fact that I'll never approach fitness like that again. I feel like a moron benching weight in the 20~30 rep range

Prior to the hiatus I was attending 3 days a week (sometimes I would skip days) for about 6 months. I gave up because I saw no gains and it wasn't making me happy.

I am always skeptical when I see people saying this. I mean, I think there were reasonable gains but you were expecting something out of this world after 6 months, could I be right?

Pete Rock

Modified SS from the OP without power cleans. 3x per week, 1 hour per day. Fuck the cardio. Look at the most in-shape person in the treadmill/elliptical room. Do you want to be that dude in 2 years? Naw

Focus on strict diet macros and programming. You will see gains, you will struggle, you will feel alive. That is the point!

As far as "easing back into it", explicitly frame your diet and programming schedule from the outset in a spreadsheet. Start with the 45 lb bar on every exercise and add weight each session. Can't get "easier" than that.

agrajag

Banned
I was kind of doing my own thing with the weight lifting, but I felt like I was actually trying. I did squats, military presses, deadlifts, and sometimes even barbell rows.

On the elliptical I was going at it at my own pace for maybe 15 minutes to half an hour. I might have to push myself harder than that but I also don't want to spend too long exercising.

That's probably the problem. You need to follow a structured program for progressive overload. How often did you do squats, for example? What was your set and rep scheme? How did you increase the weights? Did you even increase the weight, or did you squat and military press the same weight every time (many people erroneously do that)?

Szu

yeah getting old sucks :/

on my part, I am doing well regarding my body, my hand is 99% healed now I am now starting to forget I even had an injury.

But Strength goals are out of the question for the forseeable future, anything above ~120 lbs on bench triggers the pain, just slightly but there's your body telling you "leave it, this is not good"

seeing all the strength achievements here makes me depressed, the fact that I'll never approach fitness like that again. I feel like a moron benching weight in the 20~30 rep range

Fitness and health go hand in hand (pun intended). However, health should edge out fitness by just a bit in the importance factor.

And don't be depressed by everyone else gains, be proud that your fellow Fitimaniacs are making strides through our shared interests and purposes.

Let me get depressed!!!

On one hand (pun intended), your fitness is suffering due to your injury. On the other hand (pun intended), how many of us need our hand to be healthy enough to play piano at even a fraction of your level?

I could probably count them with one hand (pun intended).

J. Bravo

You guys think I can get a 300 pound bench by the end of the year? Last time I checked I was at 230, but my form is perfect now. So its probably closer to 245ish? Anyways gonna do a couple round of smolov Jr for bench and aee where that gets me.

Also, I'm starting intermittent fasting out of necessity. Fasting from midnight to ~530 and lifting at 4pm. What am I allowed to intake during the fasting period? Is coffee alright? Because I need coffee on days I work lol. Another thing- can I eat normally on the weekends and do IF during the week?

You guys think I can get a 300 pound bench by the end of the year? Last time I checked I was at 230, but my form is perfect now. So its probably closer to 245ish? Anyways gonna do a couple round of smolov Jr for bench and aee where that gets me.

Also, I'm starting intermittent fasting out of necessity. Fasting from midnight to ~530 and lifting at 4pm. What am I allowed to intake during the fasting period? Is coffee alright? Because I need coffee on days I work lol. Another thing- can I eat normally on the weekends and do IF during the week?

I need coffee to because I work nights. Black coffee with some stevia/splenda shouldnt have any calories correct me if I'm wrong

my knee wasnt feeling so great this morning so i decided to do a form check at 165 instead of going up to 175

first set
last set

i'll work on getting the proper camera angle right next time. pardon the shit facial hair genetics.

Pete Rock

Looked good to me from what I could see, first set had a much better (camera) angle and your back and hips seemed to be in good position with good depth. We can't see your knee tracking or how far they are going past your feet but you seem to be sitting back into it very well so I doubt that is a problem.

Something that helps me hold my breath in the right ways is to really focus on keeping it locked "under" my throat, down in my chest. I noticed on both sets your lips are kind of pursed and your cheeks are full of air. If you keep doing that it will lead to exertion headaches. I always pull the breath and try to lock it in my chest and I keep my jaw slack and mouth kind of gaped to avoid the impulse to "bear down" that way.

Also I never thought I would be able to grow a full beard in my life but two years of squatting will shock your body into a second puberty or something. I have no other explanation for not being able to grow even the hint of a mustache when I was 27, now I look like a lumberjack.

Also if you ever need to know how not to squat, watch that dude behind you in the second vid. Clownshoes all day.

Icefire1424

Afternoon Fitness GAF - looking for some suggestions on setting up a small home gym, figured this would be an excellent place to start.

Brief background: 32 year old male, 6'1" 190 lbs. Very athletic throughout high school and college (played college hockey), but less active since I got out of school in 2004. Been fairly active in adult hockey / kickball / softball / paintball teams throughout the years to maintain some type of cardio, but want to get back into some lifting, and ramp up the cardio through running. Goals are to build back up some muscle while cutting down on the fat - not too happy that I'm starting to get a bit flabby, want to see that muscle definition again. Already working on the diet, but time to get some strength training back into the routine.

Have a 5 month old at home (our first) and have some extra room in the basement which I thought would be good for some equipment so I can work out and still be home to help out with kiddo. Haven't lifted for years so I'm considering myself a beginner again, but was thinking about picking up a 100 pound set of barbells, a flat bench, chin up and dip bars, and a rubber mat to put it all on. Anything else I should pick up? Figured that would be a good place to start, can do a bunch of upper and lower body work just with the freeweights for now, but would ideally look into getting more equipment down the road as I progress.

Appreciate the guidance, I'm open to any suggestions.

Afternoon Fitness GAF - looking for some suggestions on setting up a small home gym, figured this would be an excellent place to start.

Brief background: 32 year old male, 6'1" 190 lbs. Very athletic throughout high school and college (played college hockey), but less active since I got out of school in 2004. Been fairly active in adult hockey / kickball / softball / paintball teams throughout the years to maintain some type of cardio, but want to get back into some lifting, and ramp up the cardio through running. Goals are to build back up some muscle while cutting down on the fat - not too happy that I'm starting to get a bit flabby, want to see that muscle definition again. Already working on the diet, but time to get some strength training back into the routine.

Have a 5 month old at home (our first) and have some extra room in the basement which I thought would be good for some equipment so I can work out and still be home to help out with kiddo. Haven't lifted for years so I'm considering myself a beginner again, but was thinking about picking up a 100 pound set of barbells, a flat bench, chin up and dip bars, and a rubber mat to put it all on. Anything else I should pick up? Figured that would be a good place to start, can do a bunch of upper and lower body work just with the freeweights for now, but would ideally look into getting more equipment down the road as I progress.

Appreciate the guidance, I'm open to any suggestions.

Holy crap me and you have almost the same stats (I'm 202 lbs and 31 yrs old but same height)

Those equiptments are good I would add a power rack for squats and some bumper plates if you're trying to splurge

Looked good to me from what I could see, first set had a much better (camera) angle and your back and hips seemed to be in good position with good depth. We can't see your knee tracking or how far they are going past your feet but you seem to be sitting back into it very well so I doubt that is a problem.

Something that helps me hold my breath in the right ways is to really focus on keeping it locked "under" my throat, down in my chest. I noticed on both sets your lips are kind of pursed and your cheeks are full of air. If you keep doing that it will lead to exertion headaches. I always pull the breath and try to lock it in my chest and I keep my jaw slack and mouth kind of gaped to avoid the impulse to "bear down" that way.

Also I never thought I would be able to grow a full beard in my life but two years of squatting will shock your body into a second puberty or something. I have no other explanation for not being able to grow even the hint of a mustache when I was 27, now I look like a lumberjack.

Also if you ever need to know how not to squat, watch that dude behind you in the second vid. Clownshoes all day.

i see.
i also dont believe i hit depth on a couple on the last set. i'll keep in mind about the breathing thanks
where/how far do you guys usually put your cameraphone to get a decent angle?

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Cat to Camel to Child

Knees to Chest
Eagle Twist (left/right)
Butterfly (relaxation)

I love doing the butterfly, makes my legs feel awesome after a post workout stretch.

I plan to go back to the gym today after a 4-5 month hiatus.

Is there anything you guys recommend to help ease back the transition?

I'm going to be lifting weights and using the elliptical machine like I was doing for cardio.

I'm just going back because I have nothing better to do at home and I need my exercise.

Two things, were you sleeping well and taking in your required macros?

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement

That is close to my schedule except I fast from about 9:30 pm to 5:30 pm. Coffee is fine but I would try to hold out on caffeine until workout so you get maximum effect. You can eat however you want during weekends. Choose to eat all day or continue IF. I personally don't think it makes any difference.

steveovig

Realistically, if I were to start doing some 2-a-day weight routines, would it be a giant waste of time? My goal would be to try and do almost everything twice in one week but I'm afraid of venturing into overtraining. I'm on a bulk right now and I just want to pack on size and I don't care too much about strength. I'd be doing a lot of hypertrophy ranges. I know I'd have to eat a little more too, if I did this. Anyone had any experience with something like this?

Pete Rock

Fucking #DEAD ohhh my god

I would totally incorporate a kilogram of dessicated scorpions into my diet each week

Send all that chitinous goodness my way babayyyyyy

Wolfe

Haven't been in this thread in a while, must have been at least 1 or 2 OT's ago. Ended up having to stop going to the gym twice now (various reasons such as job loss and moving out of state) and each time ended up losing all the weight I'd gained so I've had to restart from my original base weight each time.

Third times the charm I guess and I'm two months back in at this point. 3 months in and I should be back where I left off the first time (on my lifts) after 5 months but in the end it's still not that much time overall. New goal is 200 lbs and as I started at 150ish with 6% BF (always been slim, then I got tall) that'll be an interesting increase in weight. Best I did previously was 175 which was my initial goal but at over 6 ft that still left me feeling rather slim. Looking forward to getting strong as fuck too :p

SS for life! Well until I'm done with it at least.

http://youtu.be/HIu_8CxMNG4

Bench press 190 lbs AMRAP (6 reps). Let me know what you guys think. The angle makes it seem like I'm not touching my chest but trust me I was

Looks pretty good to me dude, my only advice maybe would be to work on pulling the bar forward out of the rack instead of up and out. Something I saw in Alan Thralls youtube vids that I have admittedly been having trouble with myself, but I also have fairly long arms so that doesn't help I imagine.

Also I don't like giving out advice simply because I know there's likely a ton of issues with my form but one thing I keep seeing people do in vids here and at the gym in person is squat with their hand completely wrapped around the bar and the base of their palm under the bar itself. Now maybe he's full of shit but I like Ripptoes technique for bar placement as it takes all of the weight off the hands/arms and places it fully on the back where (I assume) it should be. Leaves the arms to function purely as stabilizers to help keep the bar in place.

Here's the video in case anyone is interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2tyOLvArw0

Coppanuva

So fitgaf, I didn't realize how important working out is to my mental health until today. I've been slipping on my working out the past few weeks (gf visiting and since I'm in a ldr been prioritizing her over working out) but I noticed I've been feeling down and non energetic at work. Forced myself to get in a good workout today and I feel a lot better now.

Wolfe

I've always been skinny with next to no body fat but always had high endurance and was athletic (did sports/outdoors stuff like hiking and backpacking growing up). Always ate enough to not be hungry all the time so I dunno, just the way my body is if I don't stuff myself and or exercise.

I didn't start gaining much noticeable BF until I was eating 3500-4000 calories a day back when I first started going to the gym. And even then it took a few months to notice.

I dunno man, I just don't know.

bokn

Banned
So (high bar) squats cause a painful sensation that can only be described as a strong, painful ache in my left shoulder whenever I put the barbell back on the rack. The pain lasts for about 5s and just goes away.

Any advice, GAF?

So (high bar) squats cause a painful sensation that can only be described as a strong, painful ache in my left shoulder whenever I put the barbell back on the rack. The pain lasts for about 5s and just goes away.

Any advice, GAF?
Try low bar squats (which has a wider grip than high bar) or do some shoulder mobility exercises (shoulder dislocations, foam roll, lacrosse).

Haven't been in this thread in a while, must have been at least 1 or 2 OT's ago. Ended up having to stop going to the gym twice now (various reasons such as job loss and moving out of state) and each time ended up losing all the weight I'd gained so I've had to restart from my original base weight each time.

Third times the charm I guess and I'm two months back in at this point. 3 months in and I should be back where I left off the first time (on my lifts) after 5 months but in the end it's still not that much time overall. New goal is 200 lbs and as I started at 150ish with 6% BF (always been slim, then I got tall) that'll be an interesting increase in weight. Best I did previously was 175 which was my initial goal but at over 6 ft that still left me feeling rather slim. Looking forward to getting strong as fuck too :p

SS for life! Well until I'm done with it at least.

Looks pretty good to me dude, my only advice maybe would be to work on pulling the bar forward out of the rack instead of up and out. Something I saw in Alan Thralls youtube vids that I have admittedly been having trouble with myself, but I also have fairly long arms so that doesn't help I imagine.

Also I don't like giving out advice simply because I know there's likely a ton of issues with my form but one thing I keep seeing people do in vids here and at the gym in person is squat with their hand completely wrapped around the bar and the base of their palm under the bar itself. Now maybe he's full of shit but I like Ripptoes technique for bar placement as it takes all of the weight off the hands/arms and places it fully on the back where (I assume) it should be. Leaves the arms to function purely as stabilizers to help keep the bar in place.

Here's the video in case anyone is interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2tyOLvArw0
Thanks for the advice and trust me I'm working on unracking the bar with my lats. Like you said my long arms certainly don't help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom