• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levi

Banned
Stupid hotel gym only has a smith machine. First time using one. I guess it was okay for squats, bench, didn't even bother with rows.

Now I'm waiting for the 5k to start! 💪💪💪

Zero2kz

Went and did a full chest workout for the first time in months since injuring my shoulder.

The struggle is real. 185x10 was a challenge. Before I was doing 255x10, and 285x5 with ease.

Glad to finally be back though

Stupid hotel gym only has a smith machine. First time using one. I guess it was okay for squats, bench, didn't even bother with rows.

Now I'm waiting for the 5k to start! ������

Last hotel gym I went to had one of each cardio machine, one bench, DB pairs from 5-50, and then ONE 85lb one. I was abble to cobble together something )arms, flies, and one-arm DB rows) but next time I'll just pay the damn $5 at the anytime fitnes up the street

Thought I'd share these with Fitgaf. Made them myself and just winged the ingredients. Came out much better than expected. Anyway, energy flapjacks :

aoMM2Nd.jpg

Ingredients are :
250g rolled oats
5 scoops unflavoured protein powder (125g)
200g crunchy peanut butter
100g almond and honey granola
50g maple syrup
125ml water
1/2 small bar dark chocolate which was optional and not really needed.

Macros per bar are :
447 cals
37g carbs
13.7g sugar
19.5g fat (3g saturated)
23g protein
6.1g fiber

No baking needed. Just mix it all up, put it in a baking tin and melt the chocolate for the top. Put in the fridge for a few hours then cut them up into 8 peices.

I had one this morning at 6am for a pre workout snack. Dunno if it was placebo or not but I felt like I could have gone up some weight on some exercises, though I have been on a calorie deficit for such a long time.

Cagey

Banned

Now I'm waiting for the 5k to start! ������

Reverse grip barbell rows on a Smith Machine are a fine exercise.

agrajag

Banned
some videos of max effort squats from last night

185 x 1

205 x 1

215 x 1

225 x 1

and some backoff sets:

185 x 2

155 x 5

135 x 10

Still seeing butt-wink on the very bottom which makes my lower back round slightly on some reps. Not sure what to do about this. I kept my upper back tight and scapulae retracted every time. I think my hamstrings might be tight and are pulling my pelvis in when I hit depth..

Leeness

:D That is so awesome to hear! Attagirl!

I am waiting to go to York Minster. It isn't as high as Notre Dame, but I am also planning to climb up to the tower that is 200 feet high. :) I better be in good enough shape to do that.

Omg lol, I'm POOPED today. Went to Sacre Coeur and climbed probably 500 steps, up and down. First the stairs up to the church itself (did not see that there was a tram to take up lol) which is like...4 street blocks up, in stairs...or something. It was a lot. Then another 300 to the top of the dome (which was a little disappointing compared to Notre Dame's top...), then back down all of it again. Then I walked from Palais Garnier back to my hotel near Gare de Lyon.

I rest now...

You will DEFINITELY be able to kill York Minster. If I can do two tall churches in two days (with my terrible knees) you could probably jog your climb :)

Matugi

Off day at the gym. Struggled through 5x5x265 on squats, never feeling comfortable with my form, even after nailing 5x275 on Friday. Also failed to get 5x255 on bench. Gonna go ahead and order some weightlifting shoes for the added stability while squatting.

J. Bravo

well, according to this Allan Thrall video, I'm going slightly bellow parallel?

http://youtu.be/bs_Ej32IYgo?t=13m58s

Although from watching the video it looks like I'm going pretty low, I think the crease of my hips is just below my knees.
Then don't go as low and your butt wink will probably be fixed. Hit parallel tho obviously. I don't think anyone should try going ass to grass or even much below parallel until they have the proper flexibility to do it correctly.

agrajag

Banned
Then don't go as low and your butt wink will probably be fixed. Hit parallel tho obviously. I don't think anyone should try going ass to grass or even much below parallel until they have the proper flexibility to do it correctly.

I'll give it a shot. I wasn't even trying to go super low, lol

Azulsky

Rollercoaster ride of weight loss hit a big speed bump.

Suddenly, 90lbs lower than when I started last May I now have knee stiffness and slight pain.

I guess if it persists I will need to see a doc but I think it must be from pushing up resistance too high on the stationary bike.

At this point it becomes irritated from just walking so I guess I will just chill out in the evenings this week to see if it gets better.

I feel like the only thing the doctor will tell me is to lose weight, which I already am doing as fast as my body will let me, so its turning out to be a shitty monday

I was squatting today and did all sets correct but i noticed my left knee kind of buckle while my right was fine. Should i reset in that situation?

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
First of all, go Niners! Second, I got spanked by Cranky Jay in FitGaf fantasy. :-( GG

After that epic pizza and doughnut feast I went to the gym a 2nd time that day for some modified HIIT bike. Yeah, I know, issues! Then today I did some more before pull ups and abs. Two straight days of cardio. I don't even know who I am anymore...

Me and my girlfriend have been working out for the last few months. We have a gym at my work so I'll walk on the treadmill for a little bit and lift weights during my lunch break. I still like to do something with her at home. We usually do yoga, or insanity. It would just be nice to get some new workout ideas. Anyone have any workout videos that they use or like? I don't really want to buy anything because I'm cheap too. I like the videos so I don't have to think about it I can just follow along.

Sadetar

ojentajat%2Btaljassa.jpg

I have been doing that movement as long as I have been going to gym. Sunday when I went to gym I again added weight to it and now I am doing 2 x 10 repetitions with 40 kilos / 88 pounds weight. I am able to do it and I think I am able to do it clean. The only part of me that is moving is my arms. I tighten up my core while I do the movement and first time I am now noticing that my core muscles are shaking when I do it while keeping my body stable. Or I imagine it is my core muscles / abs that are the ones shaking...

Anyways, is it alright that I feel it in there or should I just go down with the weights?

Omg lol, I'm POOPED today. Went to Sacre Coeur and climbed probably 500 steps, up and down. First the stairs up to the church itself (did not see that there was a tram to take up lol) which is like...4 street blocks up, in stairs...or something. It was a lot. Then another 300 to the top of the dome (which was a little disappointing compared to Notre Dame's top...), then back down all of it again. Then I walked from Palais Garnier back to my hotel near Gare de Lyon.

I rest now...

You will DEFINITELY be able to kill York Minster. If I can do two tall churches in two days (with my terrible knees) you could probably jog your climb :)
Yay! You give me hope that I am able to conquer it!

Also awesome! It sounds you have been having a good time! Take photos to us of the delicious foods that you are having! :p

Thought I'd share these with Fitgaf. Made them myself and just winged the ingredients. Came out much better than expected. Anyway, energy flapjacks :

Ingredients are :
250g rolled oats
5 scoops unflavoured protein powder (125g)
200g crunchy peanut butter
100g almond and honey granola
50g maple syrup
125ml water
1/2 small bar dark chocolate which was optional and not really needed.

Macros per bar are :
447 cals
37g carbs
13.7g sugar
19.5g fat (3g saturated)
23g protein
6.1g fiber

No baking needed. Just mix it all up, put it in a baking tin and melt the chocolate for the top. Put in the fridge for a few hours then cut them up into 8 peices.

I had one this morning at 6am for a pre workout snack. Dunno if it was placebo or not but I felt like I could have gone up some weight on some exercises, though I have been on a calorie deficit for such a long time.
Ooh. Those actually look delicious. :p Also they don't seem to be too hard to make. Hmmm... What do you think does the beanut butter taste much in those?

As long as you can imagine exchanging vows under the squat rack, committing to a hard-bodied liquid-motion dance-machine lifestyle until death do us part, then I think we'll do just fine (;
Hahah, my imagination is always running wild so yes, I am sure I am able to imagine also that. ;)

I've been meaning to put this together for a while now. Here is a collection of all the tools I have found to be incredible for recovery. I can't even refer to them as "valuable" because to me they are priceless, I use them every morning in conjunction with yoga practice. Inversion Table with Boots, Body Back Buddy, 8' D-Ring adjustable strap, foam blocks, The Stick and all Rumble Roller products. Only thing not pictured is my yoga mat which I stand on when at my laptop desk and not actively practicing.
That table kinda object looks extremely interesting. Now I am trying to decide is it a torture machine, sex related device or a bit of both. What do you actually do with it? :p

Happy weekend! Fasted all day yesterday, stayed up raging throughout the night and finished this morning at 8AM with a chicken fried steak, hash brown and scrambled egg dish with three pancakes for dessert. With boysenberry syrup. Gearing up to kill a large pizza covered in mayonnaise and hot sauce later tonight with a friend. Awwww yeee. Life is amazing! Thanks for inspiring me to be a little less uptight and enjoy myself on the diet front MrMuscle!
Oh boy. All this food talk makes me extremely hungry...

Speaking of which, my weight has been somewhat the same fir the last 3-4 weeks. Admittedly I was one of the weeks sick and unable to do my normal routine, but still I find this a bit disappointing. I am thinking should I cut the diet back into order even if I am freezing more than I am used to. I have been cutting the last 7 months or so. Now I first time find hard to stick with it and I have noticed there is more little cheats here and there. Any tips or advices of how to proceed? I should still cut around 40 pounds, but I am not in any kind of rush with that. I just want to feel good about myself and be healthy.

I told you guys I don't mess around! My portion of this meal was 9 slices and 7 doughnuts.
I would definitely mess around with you. ;)

I am extremely jealous of all that epic awesomeness that you ate! I don't even remember when I would have last time ate a doughnut!

Cooter

I would definitely mess around with you. ;)

I am extremely jealous of all that epic awesomeness that you ate! I don't even remember when I would have last time ate a doughnut!

You flirty flirtatious flirter you!! I'd respond with something equally good but I don't want to annoy people with our side conversations! ;-)

Cooter

We appreciate that immensely.
Haha! Thought you would.

Back on topic... my back was extra sore last week and I think it is due to Pendlay rows. As mentioned before, if you have the facilities to do them I don't know why you would ever perform a bent over row ever again. Pendlays are the real deal! Fantastic.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Haha! Thought you would.

Back on topic... my back was extra sore last week and I think it is due to Pendlay rows. As mentioned before, if you have the facilities to do them I don't know why you would ever perform a bent over row ever again. Pendlays are the real deal! Fantastic.

I credit those with being a big reason of why my deadlift is so good.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
I need some help, here's my regimen:

Monday:

Bench
Leg Curls
Leg Press
Deadlift
Negative Pull Ups
HIIT on a bike for 15 minutes (I do 5 20 second intervals)

Wednesday:

Leg Curls
Leg Press
Overhead Press
Pendlay Rows (if thats how its spelled or said)
Leg Plank
Leg Raises

Friday:
Rinse and Repeat Monday's routine

I recently switched HIIT from being on Tues/Thurs to Mon/Wed/Fri so now I have Tuesday and Thursday off but I don't want that, I have Saturday and Sunday for that. Any recommendations on what I can add to Tuesday and Thursday? I'm thinking of adding dips, some more ab work.

Haha! Thought you would.

I'm afraid to do Pendlay rows on 24 hr fitness hex plates. I might mess around and get kicked out because they think I'm being an asshole

No Love

Banned
I'm afraid to do Pendlay rows on 24 hr fitness hex plates. I might mess around and get kicked out because they think I'm being an asshole

I don't blame you. Not to mention the weight crashes down fairly violently after each rep.

I too have this problem with rows, those hex plates blow. Perhaps doing it in a power rack and lifting off the safety bars so it's a bit higher than the ground and is easier to drop would be better?

~Kinggi~

Banned
So ive been doing free weight exercises, situps and pushups and squats every other day for about two months now. Prior, for about a year i killed myself with cardio and lost 50+ pounds, and then for a year after did weights at the gym, but never really ate as much as i should have and did a very slow build up. Ive been overweight and depressed for half my life, and so fast forward to today after taking a year off from exercising cause i got demoralized by it, and i said fuck it and started eating a lot more. I basically have peanut butter, 2% milk, 3 scoops of whey protein. Chicken or pork and some cooked salami and some greens each day. On workout days i eat a bit more and drink milk while working out.

So ive seen some rapid results and im almost as big now as i was after doing a year of weights but not eating alot. Problem now is though i feel like a fat fuck. My whole midsection is covered in flab and its pissing me the fuck off. Im bigger up top so i dont look fat per-say but i can feel it and i have no definition in my center. Really scary and depressing for me as im scared to shit of being fat again. Ive never been able to successfully pull of that stupid 'cutting' phase. Ive always maintained fat on me no matter how strict my diet or how hard ive worked out.

ILoveBish

This is why i lift at 1am or so. I get loud and i like to go balls out on my sets. No issues at this hour even at 24/7 fitness. Only problem is the cleaning crew giving me dirty looks when i chalk up.

PLS HELP

my hands. my poor hands... broken skin everywhere

calluses everywhere

now i'm in medical school and i have to see and examine patients. however the fact many examinations involve touch is pretty bad for me. bacteria can harbour and reside in the broken skin/calluses

it's like whenever i pick up a barbell i get calluses. i tried wearing gloves but i'm not sure if they're making any difference. perhaps i should try better gloves instead of £5 gloves? lol

what can i do to make my skin baby smooth again? the roughness of my hands is bothering me greatly. there has been a time where I haven't lifted for an entire month and my hands are just as bad as eve.r

File down the broken calluses, leave the none broken ones alone.

Also, make sure you're gripping the bar correctly with first joint on your fingers, not with your palm.

Another option to smugly rock your calluses as a secret call out to other gym bros, hi fiving each other and seeing who gets first blood.

Just did 6 reps AMRAP on DL 290 lbs. I could've done 1 or 2 more reps but I pussied out. I was going to post the vid but it completely cut off half of my body. I really do have to get one of those phone tripods

Also tried sumo DLs for the first time for 135 sets of 10. The first damn set my balance was off and I almost fell over. How embarrasing

Ooh. Those actually look delicious. :p Also they don't seem to be too hard to make. Hmmm... What do you think does the beanut butter taste much in those?

Thanks! They're dead easy to make. Quick instructions are to mix the peanut butter and syrup in a bowl and put in the microwave for a minute tops to mix it all in. Seperately in a big bowl mix up the other ingredients apart from the water. Then add the peanut butter/syrup mix. Knead it all together with hands and then add the water bit by bit. It'll get very sticky so put some oats in the cake tin to line it. Add the mixture and pat down flat. Melt chocolate and spread on the top. Put in fridge for a few hours then cut into 8 slices. Wrap each in foil and leave in fridge.

They're slightly moist but you can put them in the microwave for 30 seconds to soften up a bit. they don;t really taste peanut buttery really as the chocolate and syrup takes that away. They literally taste like a 'naughty' flapjack bu are far better for you.

I think I might have slightly injured myself doing squats yesterday. At the time I thought my form was ok, but this morning I woke up with the outside of my knees hurting on both sides.

When squatting then this morning on the first rep, they kind of hurt but it was more of a feeling that they just wanted to cave in. The other reps were fine. Could it be that my feet were pointing out too much? I'd say that they were about 60 degrees and my feet are just more than shoulder width.

I think I might have slightly injured myself doing squats yesterday. At the time I thought my form was ok, but this morning I woke up with the outside of my knees hurting on both sides.

Could be the tensor fasciae latae? It's a long, mostly tendinous muscle that helps in stabilizing hip extension and abducting the knee, it goes from the iliac crest through the tibiae capitis, passing externally onto the knee capsula.
Inflammation of this tendinous portion is usually treated with the stop and go method (in runners, though) and cryotherapy (apply ice).

CrankyJay

Banned
220x2 on bench now. I feel like a fat bastard but I like the strength.

Going for 225 next week then taking a week off for vacation in Florida. Seems like a nice goal.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
I need some help, here's my regimen:

Monday:

Bench
Leg Curls
Leg Press
Deadlift
Negative Pull Ups

Wednesday:

Leg Curls
Leg Press
Overhead Press
Pendlay Rows (if thats how its spelled or said)
Leg Plank
Leg Raises

Friday:
Rinse and Repeat Monday's routine

I recently switched HIIT from being on Tues/Thurs to Mon/Wed/Fri so now I have Tuesday and Thursday off but I don't want that, I have Saturday and Sunday for that. Any recommendations on what I can add to Tuesday and Thursday? I'm thinking of adding dips, some more ab work.

No one?

220x2 on bench now. I feel like a fat bastard but I like the strength.

Going for 225 next week then taking a week off for vacation in Florida. Seems like a nice goal.

I hit 225 two weeks ago on bench and it felt goddamn good. Sure, I know two plates is a milestone and lots of folks in my gym workset 225, but it's something. Considering that when I started about this time last year I maxed at 175, I feel great.

Now it's just time to work on my squat. Managed 295, but I feel like I should back off hard pushes and do lower weight with deep, dark, sultry attention to form. DL was 315...that was nice. Form was perfect, and I held it for 10 seconds.

Now for a question, more shaped I guess from opinion than anything else. I want to get much stronger, and I want to start creatine to help build some muscle mass, but I feel like I'll just get weightier. I'm currently at 175, and am 5'10".

Do folks here have any thoughts on whether or not I should start using creatine? Right now I supplement nothing but shakes post-workout, and my caloric intake is around 1800 - 2k/day, 50% of which is protein. Thanks in advance!

Pete Rock

start doing squats and look over the program in the OP.
Real talk. We can give you a thousand accessory lifts to fill up your entire week. But we won't, because it's silly.

Speaking of, was going up on 5's and hit 240 Friday, was supposed to do 245 yesterday but I was out of it and misloaded. Repped out 20 at 265 for my last set. Whoops. Legs like jelleh todayyyy awww yeee.

Do folks here have any thoughts on whether or not I should start using creatine?
Might as well. 5G/day, done. No need to cycle on off, just do it. Although I use a post workout shake that has it mixed in and I only take it on my lift days, so 3x per week, but there is no reason not to take it every day.

Might as well. 5G/day, done. No need to cycle on off, just do it. Although I use a post workout shake that has it mixed in and I only take it on my lift days, so 3x per week, but there is no reason not to take it every day.

Thanks very much! Makes sense to me. Trying to keep losing weight and understanding that I'll gain a bit during the first week, but I figure if it helps me push a little harder, then weight loss will follow. I think. I'm not exactly too overweight and I've maintained roughly the same weight while adding strength, and I think I want to add strength more than anything else.

SeanR1221

Managed 285 3x3. Gainz train slowing down. :( Gonna do 3x3s, then 1x3s then 1x2s/1x1s from here on out.

Then I'm done squatting 3x a week.

Bleepey

My stats for weight loss so far are:
23 Aug 2014,Height 186 cm, weight 112.5KG 19.4 fat%
31 Aug 2014,Height 186 cm, weight 112.0 Kg 19.3% body fat (bad week so i comfort ate but the week prior i recall losing about 2 kg)
8 Sep 2014 height 186 Cm weight 110.6 KG 20.0

I initially kept shitty notes mapping my weight loss so over the past few weeks I have begun taking pictures of the print out from the weight scale. I am doing an initial 7m run where i get to about 1.5km and then after that I do 2 min sprints followed by 1 min cool downs. It seems to be working even if I have picked up a slight injury on my knee. Running makes me feel like I am losing weight cos i am dripping in sweat so I don't wanna tone it down. I just wish I took photos of me a 3 months ago.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
toss out leg presses and curls, start doing squats and look over the program in the OP.

Poverty is real so I need a substitute until I can afford a better gym. I'll look over the program again.

Why are you doing so many exercises and why are you trying to add MORE days?

I just broke down the squats to leg press and curls. Also just added HIIT after it. Its 2 extra exercises as to what is recommended in the OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom