• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matugi

Crushed 290x5 on squat today. Deload and intensification starts Monday, beginning with 3x3 at last week's weight then ramping up 5% per week.

Feeling more confident in my deadlifts.

Watched a bunch of videos and recorded myself. Just slight issues with upper back rounding when starting off the lift.

So my size S shirts are starting to fit tighter. Time to buy new shirts? Common issue when working out?

Post the video. We can look at it unbiasedly and maybe see something you couldn't

TylerD

Workout number 2 coming up tonight after getting back from my vacation. Went about 2 weeks without doing anything and the DOMS are attacking. Dropped about 10-30 lbs on my progression to ease myself back in to SS.

Felt so good to be lifting again. I slept like a baby after my squat, bench, deadlift, pull-up day.

Leeness

Well you dont have to climb to the top, but the view is great :)

I don't have to, but who knows when I'll be here again, so really, I must. Lol.

Lots of amazing views in Florence. Great city. When I come back to Italy someday, I will spend more than a day there.

Astral

Hey FitGAF, I'm on the last week of my cut but I really want some cookies. Unfortunately I also had some Chinese food today so I'm not sure how many calories I've consumed. Should I just say fuck it and eat them? Then maybe work my ass off at the gym tomorrow? I think I'm just looking for someone to say "No, don't do it."

EDIT: Man, fuck cookies.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
It blows my mind I went 21 years without doing deadlifts. They are so satisfying.

Carry on FitGaf...

J. Bravo

My right shoulder hurts from bending 4x a week. What do? (besides face pulls and band pull aparts and shoulder dislocations)

I'm doing two reps of those movements for each rep of chest I do, at least. Just wondering if there is any other shoulder prehab I can do. Not trying to tear my shoulder up

TheBear

Hi guys, just had a BJJ class after may years of sitting on my ass. I really enjoyed it except for two things:
- The neck warm ups alone killed me. The muscles in my neck are on fire right now.
- I gassed completely 40mins into the class.

Can anyone give me a some tips on improving the strength in my neck and having some more endurance?

J. Bravo

Hi guys, just had a BJJ class after may years of sitting on my ass. I really enjoyed it except for two things:
- The neck warm ups alone killed me. The muscles in my neck are on fire right now.

Can anyone give me a some tips on improving the strength in my neck and having some more endurance?

keep doing the stuff you did and keep going back to the class. sprints never hurt anyones endurance either.

agrajag

Banned
Yeah, I really don't think there's specific neck isolation workouts you should be doing other than what they already have you doing in class.

I just tried hot sauce for the first time as a condiment (using Franks at the moment).

Why is this not in the OP? I can eat chicken breast again. I'm going to get ripped in a month now.

Feel free to recommend other brands.

agrajag

Banned

I just tried hot sauce for the first time as a condiment (using Franks at the moment).

Why is this not in the OP? I can eat chicken breast again. I'm going to get ripped in a month now.

Franks is all time GOAT for buffalo sauce imo. Can't go wrong with Crystal, Cholula, and of course Sriracha

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member

I don't know what you're doing in class but you could look into a neck harness, though I would imagine that's probably not necessary at this stage. A good way to begin strengthening the neck is to just use light resistance from your own hands. With your hands on either side of your face you can resist as you shake your head (like you're saying "no,") and as you tilt your head from side to side (ie moving your ears towards your shoulders). Put one hand on your forehead and one on the back of your head and do an exaggerated nodding motion (ie from almost looking straight up to chin on chest). The neck isn't really an area you want to mess around with so it's important to use a good range of motion, remain slow and controlled in your movements and start very light.

Beyond that I'd just keep doing what you did in class and work on your range of motion in your shoulders, neck, chest and upper back. Once you've developed a base of strength and mobility you can look into the more advanced things like bridges and harnesses.

iddqd

Had similar issues recently after having not done any BJJ for two months. Just keep going back, take your time when warming up and also take some time at the end and stretch.
It will pass!
(and the gas will come quickly as well)

(side rant, I WISH I could do GI BJJ but the school I am at, focuses on No-Gi. That shit WRECKS me and everyone is too fast)

After struggling with proper benchpress Ive finally managed to breach the 3x5 80 kg (176lbs) barrier with help from a spotter. Its been a mental obstacle for me in an extended period. Feels good to overcome it. Im aiming for 3x5 82,5 kg on monday, and 1RM 90 kg on friday next week.

It definitely took longer than expected to understand the correct powetlifting bench press form and technique. Still WIP but I've been making alot of observations, recieved constructive criticism and gotten a few pointers to increase the efficiency of my bench press workout. In general they've definitely helped.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
In addition to what jump rope anyone could recommend, when should I start fasting? I'm assuming its after you get your goal and wanna sculpt what you have (assuming you have the muscle for it).

anybody...? if not ill just look it up. didnt want to do so in the first place in case i read some incorrect info.

No Love

Banned
Workout number 2 coming up tonight after getting back from my vacation. Went about 2 weeks without doing anything and the DOMS are attacking. Dropped about 10-30 lbs on my progression to ease myself back in to SS.

Felt so good to be lifting again. I slept like a baby after my squat, bench, deadlift, pull-up day.

Funny, I did squat, deadlift, Pendlay rows, and bench today and knocked out like a baby when I got home too!! It totally drained me. Squats are so fucking painful. :eek:

Height: 5' 7"
Weight: 270
Goal: 180 (not an absolute rush)
Current Training Schedule: Jogging, curls/hammer curls, tricep extensions.
Current Training Equipment Available: Treadmill, 10lb free weights.
Comments:

I'm not trying to lose weight as fast as I can which could be unhealthy if I don't do it right. I used to lift weights so the concept of lifting isn't new to me. I don't go to the gym because I'm not exactly sure if I can afford it.

I'm don't have a disproportionate amount of fat in any specific part of my body, so my physical appearance comes off as a somewhat muscular fat guy lol. I do have a few week ruining off days since what I eat reflects what others bring into the house sometimes. It's sometimes unhealthy but I keep track of when I'm overeating pretty well.

Questions: Is 6 minutes of non-stop jogging on a treadmill good for a person my size or is that average? What should I do to really start out a maintainable routing? Should I start going to the gym if I can afford it? I eat a-lot of leafy spinach, but are there any other types of greens or vegetables that have similar nutrients? Lastly, what kind of light diets should I go on?

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Height: 5' 7"
Weight: 270
Goal: 180 (not an absolute rush)
Current Training Schedule: Jogging, curls/hammer curls, tricep extensions.
Current Training Equipment Available: Treadmill, 10lb free weights.
Comments:

I'm not trying to lose weight as fast as I can which could be unhealthy if I don't do it right. I used to lift weights so the concept of lifting isn't new to me. I don't go to the gym because I'm not exactly sure if I can afford it.

I'm don't have a disproportionate amount of fat in any specific part of my body, so my physical appearance comes off as a somewhat muscular fat guy lol. I do have a few week ruining off days since what I eat reflects what others bring into the house sometimes. It's sometimes unhealthy but I keep track of when I'm overeating pretty well.

Questions: Is 6 minutes of non-stop jogging on a treadmill good for a person my size or is that average? What should I do to really start out a maintainable routing? Should I start going to the gym if I can afford it? I eat a-lot of leafy spinach, but are there any other types of greens or vegetables that have similar nutrients? Lastly, what kind of light diets should I go on?

All your answers are in the OP. Follow 5x5 SS and work on your diet. No light diets, exercise and eat the recommended amount when you calculate your macros, its worked for everyone here and it will for you too.

Also, stick to HIIT for "cardio" even though for now you should probably just lift since HIIT might actually get you light headed for now until you get used to working out. Lastly, go to an affordable gym, you need some stuff that you don't have, mainly a barbell.

assuming you're talking about intermittent fasting, www.leangains.com has a lot of info i think. jump rope, grab a random weighted one from wal mart or dicks or where ever you can find one lol.

awesome, thanks!

All your answers are in the OP. Follow 5x5 SS and work on your diet. No light diets, exercise and eat the recommended amount when you calculate your macros, its worked for everyone here and it will for you too.

Also, stick to HIIT for "cardio" even though for now you should probably just lift since HIIT might actually get you light headed for now until you get used to working out. Lastly, go to an affordable gym, you need some stuff that you don't have, mainly a barbell.

Good stuff, thank you. I've been jogging on and off for the past two months and I'll give HIIT a try when I feel as if I'm ready. As for the gym, I'm going to look around for some local gyms before going for a nation wide gym.

If anyone else has anything to add, please do so!

ILoveBish

When you said you had tried everything possible with chicken, i figured you had gone through every hot sauce on the planet. I use Franks hot and buffalo sauce, 0 or 1 carb per serving, works perfect. And DELICIOUS. bisonthisisdelicious.gif Delicious.

Wolfe

Good stuff, thank you. I've been jogging on and off for the past two months and I'll give HIIT a try when I feel as if I'm ready. As for the gym, I'm going to look around for some local gyms before going for a nation wide gym.

If anyone else has anything to add, please do so!

Definitely look around online for any local non chain gyms. I was able to find a nice dad/son ran local gym that is small but has all the free weights and machines I'll ever need for only 25 bucks a month. It's no 10 dollars a month you'll see at a place like planet fitness but I don't have to worry about them not having specific things I'm looking for or throwing a fit for causing too much noise.

When you said you had tried everything possible with chicken, i figured you had gone through every hot sauce on the planet. I use Franks hot and buffalo sauce, 0 or 1 carb per serving, works perfect. And DELICIOUS. bisonthisisdelicious.gif Delicious.
For some reason in the back of my head I thought hot sauce was this horribly fattening thing, full of sugars and fat. I have no clue why, I guess because I compared it to BBQ sauce. I saw Michael Kory use it in one of his recipes and I was like wtf? So I checked the ingredients at the store and saw that it's mostly just vinegar, peppers, and salt.

Yeah I'm gonna use it on everything now, it's godlike. I LOVE LOVE LOVE super spicy foods, like mouth blistering heat. So this is like nectar of the gods.

ILoveBish

haha, today was so bad at the gym, failed on most of my sets, still walked out of the gym having lifted a ton of weight and still just happy with results. Gonna be a long time of this, i better get used to it.

For some reason in the back of my head I thought hot sauce was this horribly fattening thing, full of sugars and fat. I have no clue why, I guess because I compared it to BBQ sauce. I saw Michael Kory use it in one of his recipes and I was like wtf? So I checked the ingredients at the store and saw that it's mostly just vinegar, peppers, and salt.

Yeah I'm gonna use it on everything now, it's godlike. I LOVE LOVE LOVE super spicy foods, like mouth blistering heat. So this is like nectar of the gods.

I never liked spicy foods till i started doing a normal diet, where low fat foods had no flavor. Which is when i liked spicy sauces for the flavors, and now i love spicy food. Dat flavor. Enjoy your new found ticket to flavor town. I still double deep fry some party wings, dip them in butter and franks buffalo sauce, keto goodness.

bokn

Banned
My legs (primarily the outside of my quads) have been feeling really stiff the day after workout. Is this normal? Would stretching more help with this?

My legs (primarily the outside of my quads) have been feeling really stiff the day after workout. Is this normal? Would stretching more help with this?

I've noticed a huge difference in my legs when i don't stretch. Due to time constraints i missed out on my stretching sessions that i do at the end of my workout for a week or so and all of a sudden my legs were killing me when i did my running. Can't speak for anyone else but it makes a big difference to me.

It has been a busy last month for me and I've not gotten in the gym or stuck to a good diet as much as I usually would... But the exciting news is that I am getting married today!

So, FitGAF, one last selfie as a single man:

Wo9vtiy.jpg

Feeling a bit pudgy today, but as always, I feel like a solid work-in-progress.

Cheers!

Pete Rock

Foam roll that ish like erry morning

Re:hotsauce - confirmed sodium based greatness. I also started eating 400g extra carbs of brown rice per day on my lift days and I almost hate to say it but a few tsp of soy sauce goes a long way in terms of making it enjoyable to eat instead of just another chore.

In conjunction with reducing my over aggressive protein intake and adding more quality carbs, I have started taking a magnesium citrate powder mixed in with my 20 oz of aloe juice that I drink with dinner. Only two days now, but I have been sleeping like a fucking baby and waking up feeling more refreshed than ever. I honestly think my body was skewed acidic due to all the protein metabolism acid byproducts. I never tested my urine with a PH strip but I probably should have. Either way for the price per dose, I think it is a good investment.

It was recommended by the Rumble Roller guy in one of his videos, maybe on the DVD, I don't quite recall but I know I heard it referenced by him somewhere. Going to keep taking it and paying attention to how I feel at baseline, so far so good.

Re: gym selection - my personal rankings based on my local options which are probably pretty similar most places:
PF/UF - $20/mo: includes tanning at my local branches. If I were interested in tanning in a bed more than once a week, it would be a better investment than paying the same price with just a small tanning salon. But I would never work out there and I don't tan that much in the winter, so it's irrelevant.
Small Local Gym: $25-35/mo: the longest running small local gym in my area has two locations and each one has a bad reputation and is supported by gear-heads. No-go. Also they have a sauna but other than that it's just free weights, weight machines and cardio machines. Nothing too exciting and another 50% again as expensive as the bottom of the barrel.
YMCA: - $40-50/mo: best solution particularly for family/household membership. Access to sport areas (basketball, racquetball, indoor track), free weight room, weight machine/cardio machine room, swimming pools, saunas and steam rooms. Total package! I think this is the best for those reasons, and although I swim very rarely, I do use the steam room every lift day so that is very important to me. You do see a lot more families and young people there but for the most part it is not a problem. They separate the locker rooms so it never gets weird. A+! Renewing my annual 3 adult household membership for the third year in a row in October. ALSO I am not sure for "students" but they do adjust your rate based on your income and other factors, so you can probably get a better deal if you are a broke ass college kid.

Congrats Soka. Get blackout drunk and pay a gross stripper to grind her titties into your face WOOO USA USA!

Leeness

Well you dont have to climb to the top, but the view is great :)

I ended up not climbing to the top. Our tour kind of passed the area where the line was and then ended up leaving...and honestly, after the 5 hour walking tour of Gardens/Museum/Basilica, once we passed, my conviction left me and I didn't turn around lol.

I've climbed to the top of like three tall churches (Notre Dame, Sacre Coeur and the Duomo), as well as climbed the hill to San Miniato in Florence...I've climbed a lot. Lol. I'm weary.

J. Bravo

My right shoulder hurts from bending 4x a week. What do? (besides face pulls and band pull aparts and shoulder dislocations)

I'm doing two reps of those movements for each rep of chest I do, at least. Just wondering if there is any other shoulder prehab I can do. Not trying to tear my shoulder up
Any advice? Should be benching not bending

J. Bravo

Pulled 425 after not dead lifting since early march when i pulled 445. All I've done in the meantime for legs was 3 weeks of smolov lol.

Matugi

Having some tightness in my left hip, and I'm not quite sure what the issue is. I'm pretty sure it's my sartorius. I've tried foam rolling and everything and it's not going away. It wasn't an issue with my squats yesterday because I was able to hit depth fine but the pain is back with a vengeance today. I've been focusing on trying to incorporate more hip flexor and glutes out of the hole on the squats and I'm wondering if it's that.

Bowser

Cholula
Valentina
Tapatio
Sriracha
Tabasco Smoky Chipotle
Taco Bell Hot Sauce - srs, this shit is so gud

rokkerkory

It has been a busy last month for me and I've not gotten in the gym or stuck to a good diet as much as I usually would... But the exciting news is that I am getting married today!

Cheers!

wow congrats man!! great stuff and best of luck!

Szu

Cheers!

It's a good idea that you took this picture because you're never going to be this happy ever again.

J/k You're going to be even happier.

Congrats!!!!!

Cholula
Valentina
Tapatio
Sriracha
Tabasco Smoky Chipotle
Taco Bell Hot Sauce - srs, this shit is so gud
My pantry is already packed, but I don't care. I'm gonna buy some more sauces tonight after the gym.

Soka. ; ; My man! Congrats and much love! Wish you all the best.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends

Stretching after a workout goes a long way for me since I don't use foam rollers. Stretching after a workout takes out some of the "burning" sensation after an intense workout.

cV4k63x.jpg

July vs today. Progress!

Congrats man! We in the same boat haha

Imm0rt4l

Saw a guy squatting ~100lbs in the smith machine today. He wore a belt. He put the pussy pad on the bar and then wrapped an entire bath towel the pad.

Earlier today I was squatting and this ass came up to me asking to use the power rack to do pull ups. I humored him despite there literally being a dozen other places to do pull ups. He seemed indignant for no fucking reason. I wanted to give his ass a good shoryuken for trying to get me to hurry my set up. But a girl he was being rude told me the guy is always a dick. If I see him again trying to work in some stupid shit I'll just tell him to fuck off.

ILoveBish

Not much traffic in this thread these days, everyone must be busy with destiny lol (i am loving it btw, level 13 and just having a blast).

I go to the gym tonight, i've been watching the squat videos that chocobro had collected on his evernote, i feel confident and ready. I get there and..... i forgot my phone at home! First time since march 2012 which is when i started working out, that i forgot my phone. Im getting old confirmed. My entire routine is on there for the weights and sets, accessories and music. Since i couldn't do my usual routine, i took to the squat rack and really just worked my way up in weights but 100% worked on form. Breaking with the knees slightly then sitting down, chest up, feet at an angle. Everything actually clicked for real. I now feel incredibly confident on squats, thanks to this night of just working on form with various weights. Everything happens for a reason.

I'll go tomorrow or the next day and do my 5s week squat routine for real.

Wolfe

Saw a guy squatting ~100lbs in the smith machine today. He wore a belt. He put the pussy pad on the bar and then wrapped an entire bath towel the pad.

Earlier today I was squatting and this ass came up to me asking to use the power rack to do pull ups. I humored him despite there literally being a dozen other places to do pull ups. He seemed indignant for no fucking reason. I wanted to give his ass a good shoryuken for trying to get me to hurry my set up. But a girl he was being rude told me the guy is always a dick. If I see him again trying to work in some stupid shit I'll just tell him to fuck off.

I try not to judge anyone at the gym cause for all I know they could have some actual reason they're doing whatever thing looks goofy to me but damn if I can't help wonder about the things some people do there sometimes.

Theres this group of 3 or 4 dudes, look like they're juniors or seniors in HS. They're always doing shit like loading up the bench with more weight than they can comfortably handle and then doing half reps while one of the other guys helps them. The thing that really boggles me is that they never squat yet they always use the leg press machine for up to an hour a day, loading it up to the point of having 4 or 5 plates on each side, and then sit there doing half reps while pressing on their knees with their hands to help push the weight. I mean wtf, if you're putting on so much weight that you need to now use your arms to help complete the (incomplete) motion, what is even the point?

But whatever, my forms prolly shitty so I should shut up and mind my own business :p

Chocobro

Not much traffic in this thread these days, everyone must be busy with destiny lol (i am loving it btw, level 13 and just having a blast).

I go to the gym tonight, i've been watching the squat videos that chocobro had collected on his evernote, i feel confident and ready. I get there and..... i forgot my phone at home! First time since march 2012 which is when i started working out, that i forgot my phone. Im getting old confirmed. My entire routine is on there for the weights and sets, accessories and music. Since i couldn't do my usual routine, i took to the squat rack and really just worked my way up in weights but 100% worked on form. Breaking with the knees slightly then sitting down, chest up, feet at an angle. Everything actually clicked for real. I now feel incredibly confident on squats, thanks to this night of just working on form with various weights. Everything happens for a reason.

I'll go tomorrow or the next day and do my 5s week squat routine for real.

Record your squats! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom