• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinewood

Finally approved. Yiss.

Being a total noob at weightlifting (tried to follow a routine at home with a barbell about a year ago) I started going to the university gym (it's FREE) this week and started the full body routine from OP. A few questions though:

If I can't do normal pull-ups, should I substitute them with chin-ups, negatives, lat pulldowns or a combination of them? Was thinking of doing chin-ups 3x until failure (so that would be something like 4/4/3 at the moment) and some lat pulldowns. Or should I continue with negative pull-ups after chin-ups until I reach 8 per set?

What is a good excercise to replace the power clean? It seems somewhat intimidating and I'd rather get the other excercises down before I get doing it (also waiting for a Alan Thrall video :p) . Even then, I don't know if people would take me dropping a barbell from my chin to the floor several times lightly. The gym is rather small (2 power racks, 2 flat benches, incline bench, decline bench and a bunch of machines) and has proper padding just under where the weights touch the floor. I felt I was bit noisy even when I deadlifted.
Yesterday I substituted it with deadlifts with less weight than on monday and chin-ups.

My bench and overhead press were a little shaky, especially the press. Should I use less weight for now(bench was 20 kg/45 lbs + bar, press was 30 kg/66 lbs + slightly smaller bar, as I did it in the dumbbell section)?

Am I supposed to add weight every time, if I didn't fail last time?

What is considered good abdominal work? Did 3x12 back extensions and 3x30s planks that made me shake good, is that ok?

21 year old 194 cm (6 ft 4") 81 kg (179 lbs) male, to put things into perspecitve. Looking to up my strength and tone up.

Also mandatory first post xDxD, please be gentle etc.

Finally approved. Yiss.

Being a total noob at weightlifting (tried to follow a routine at home with a barbell about a year ago) I started going to the university gym (it's FREE) this week and started the full body routine from OP. A few questions though:

If I can't do normal pull-ups, should I substitute them with chin-ups, negatives, lat pulldowns or a combination of them? Was thinking of doing chin-ups 3x until failure (so that would be something like 4/4/3 at the moment) and some lat pulldowns. Or should I continue with negative pull-ups after chin-ups until I reach 8 per set?

I would do assisted pull ups, chins, and negatives

What is a good excercise to replace the power clean? It seems somewhat intimidating and I'd rather get the other excercises down before I get doing it (also waiting for a Alan Thrall video :p) . Even then, I don't know if people would take me dropping a barbell from my chin to the floor several times lightly. The gym is rather small (2 power racks, 2 flat benches, incline bench, decline bench and a bunch of machines) and has proper padding just under where the weights touch the floor. I felt I was bit noisy even when I deadlifted.
Yesterday I substituted it with deadlifts with less weight than on monday and chin-ups.

Barbell rows, Pendlay rows,

My bench and overhead press were a little shaky, especially the press. Should I use less weight for now(bench was 20 kg/45 lbs + bar, press was 30 kg/66 lbs + slightly smaller bar, as I did it in the dumbbell section)?

Absolutely. Form over everything.

Am I supposed to add weight every time, if I didn't fail last time?

If you're a n00b absolutely. Add weight until you stall two times at most. Drop the weight 10% after

What is considered good abdominal work? Did 3x12 back extensions and 3x30s planks that made me shake good, is that ok?

Sounds good but don't overdo it. You're already getting some good core work doing squats, deadlifts, etc

21 year old 194 cm (6 ft 4") 81 kg (179 lbs) male, to put things into perspecitve. Looking to up my strength and tone up.

Also mandatory first post xDxD, please be gentle etc.

ILoveBish

Hit the gym tonight, got to my last set on the deadlift and just didn't have it in me. I did 5x375 just minutes before but 5x425 was out of the question. I got 2 fails and 1 clean lift. Since just losing fat is the goal, failing means nothing to me. Unracked everything and did my accessory's, then went home a happy and content man. I love lifting, I truly do.

Levi

Banned
Ya'll on that DC vs Marvel tip--get on my level.
WYSaPto.jpg

More seriously, heading home! Almost as nice as my own bed--my home gym!

Icefire1424

Those equiptments are good I would add a power rack for squats and some bumper plates if you're trying to splurge

Good thought. Anywhere in particular I should be looking to buy this stuff from? Checked out Dicks Sporting Goods already, stuff pretty pricey. Will keep looking around though.

grumble

Anyone had any experience with fat burners?

Try don't work very well. Maybe a 70 calorie a day difference so not much direct benefit. They do kill your appetite though. They are generally pretty sizeable doses of stimulants, mostly caffeine so expect to have some side effects as well like rapid heartbeat, insomnia, highs and crashes, etc.

Personally I wouldn't bother. If you want very powerful fat burners then you'd have to make your own or buy some black market. It's not worth it for someone who is doing this for fun.

Enfinit

I was over in St. Pete yesterday, and I had some free time, so I decided to drive by the Strength Camp gym just to see what's up. I know a lot of you guys watch Elliott's videos (myself included), and I just wanted to drive by the place in the least creepy way possible, just cause I was curious and shit.

But anyways, when I drove around the back Elliott was right there in the parking lot doing his thing. I stopped for like two minutes, introduced myself (first thing I said to him was "Yo Elliott," #swag), and talked to him for like two minutes. The guy's really, really down to earth and appreciative as fuck of his fans. He's a really, really cool dude.

Zoe

Chin-ups/pull-ups are the replacement in the Practical Programming variant of Starting Strength.

I figured out last week that you do better at an exercise, the earlier in the workout you do it. That's why I've consistently made good progress with my squats, I think - they're the first exercise I've done every single day.

Now that I've switched it up some and put my bench press first, I finally feel like I'm making decent progress there, whereas before I felt I was stagnating.

Good stuff

Pete Rock

I figured out last week that you do better at an exercise, the earlier in the workout you do it. That's why I've consistently made good progress with my squats, I think - they're the first exercise I've done every single day.
In the GSLP book he references this as having less to do with the timing and more to do with the overall taxation "a heavy squat/dl will take more out of you than a heavy bench" so you always start with the pressing motion. After 18 months of squatting 3x a week first thing, this definitely felt amazing. Still does. Love it.

That feel when shirts are getting tighter and not from fat.
I went about this the opposite way by acquiring small size shirts. Aww yee.

ILoveBish

Now that I've switched it up some and put my bench press first, I finally feel like I'm making decent progress there, whereas before I felt I was stagnating.

Good stuff

I walk into the gym, quick stretches, shoulder dislocations, then start the compound I'm working on. Always put the emphasis on the major compounds.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
slightly fudged up my back today, when i finished doing OHP then to pendlay's, I felt a sharp pain in my lower back once I finished a pendlay set. I finished the workout but I think I might be out of commission for a week... and im seeing gains too! worst time to get hurt.

Chocobro

I got quite the compliment when I was doing some dynamic stretches to prepare myself for my squats. A Russian guy, a bit younger than me (20/21?), was doing high volume high-bar back squats and then he saw me do narrow grip (OHP grip) overhead squats. He said that I have great mobility and ankle flexibility like those weightlifters (Olympic weightlifters?) in YouTube videos, that I shouldn't worry too much about doing mobility work, and that he bets there are barely any form issues.
:x

Bleepey

One of the gym staff said she could tell I have lost weight compared to the previous week. :D. My knee hurts really bad when I run, so i can't run anymore which is a shame since it's really intense, I think I might use those hand cycling things now till my legs stop hurting when i run, this should have the additional benefit of toning up my deltoids fingers crossed

Tabasco

That's probably the problem. You need to follow a structured program for progressive overload. How often did you do squats, for example? What was your set and rep scheme? How did you increase the weights? Did you even increase the weight, or did you squat and military press the same weight every time (many people erroneously do that)?
What's the weight lifting regimen for a beginner?

Is it just doing the starting strength? When I go to the gym I just want it to be as simple as possible. I don't want to have to remember to do stuff each day unless that's a requirement.

Also, the equipment at my gym gets used a lot of the time when I go in for my session. Back when this happened, I would just go straight to cardio first.

If I shouldn't be doing cardio, am I going to have to wait there until someone is done using one of the bars? It's usually quite a long wait, too.

Chocobro

What's the weight lifting regimen for a beginner?

Is it just doing the starting strength? When I go to the gym I just want it to be as simple as possible. I don't want to have to remember to do stuff each day unless that's a requirement.

Also, the equipment at my gym gets used a lot of the time when I go in for my session. Back when this happened, I would just go straight to cardio first.

If I shouldn't be doing cardio, am I going to have to wait there until someone is done using one of the bars? It's usually quite a long wait, too.

Either programs in the OP, but just stick with the second one since it's "simpler". Greyskull LP is a good program too. You don't have to remember anything if you just input it into an app like JEFIT; input the program once and you click on the day of the program so you can follow the list of exercises. If you have Google Drive on your phone, you can use the Starting Strength warm-up calculator (my variation) to have it calculate all the weights to do; update the working set weight if you got 3x5. There, you don't need to remember anything.

If you're going to do the same exercise as that person that's using the barbell, ask him to work in. Most people are nice enough to share it. If anything you just have to change the weight. You can also do it if you're going to squat and the person is OHPing and vice-versa.

Also if you have to wait because you can't work in, work on your mobility. I already made a Evernote note with a mobility section. If you've been sedentary for a majority of your life, your mobility will most likely be lacking, which will hinder your ability to perform the lifts "properly" and to get the most out of it.

Tabasco

Either programs in the OP, but just stick with the second one since it's "simpler". Greyskull LP is a good program too. You don't have to remember anything if you just input it into an app like JEFIT; input the program once and you click on the day of the program so you can follow the list of exercises. If you have Google Drive on your phone, you can use the Starting Strength warm-up calculator (my variation) to have it calculate all the weights to do; update the working set weight if you got 3x5. There, you don't need to remember anything.

If you're going to do the same exercise as that person that's using the barbell, ask him to work in. Most people are nice enough to share it. If anything you just have to change the weight. You can also do it if you're going to squat and the person is OHPing and vice-versa.

Also if you have to wait because you can't work in, work on your mobility. I already made a Evernote note with a mobility section. If you've been sedentary for a majority of your life, your mobility will most likely be lacking, which will hinder your ability to perform the lifts "properly" and to get the most out of it.
I hate that it's not simplistic to the point where you just start using the equipment and that's it.

That's how simple I want it to be. That's also pretty much why I've been making up my weight lifting routine and just not following a regimen.

SeanR1221

I hate that it's not simplistic to the point where you just start using the equipment and that's it.

That's how simple I want it to be. That's also pretty much why I've been making up my weight lifting routine and just not following a regimen.

It's 5 exercises, split into an A day and B day. It doesn't get much simpler than that.

Tabasco

It's 5 exercises, split into an A day and B day. It doesn't get much simpler than that.
Is it:

Workout A:

Squats
Benchpress
Deadlift

Workout B:

Squats
Benchpress
Military press

That's pretty much what I've been doing. I've also done barbell rows but I'm not sure if that's recommended.

agrajag

Banned

Let me get this straight, you don't want to put in the effort of following a structured training regimen, but are surprised when after six months of bullshitting around you didn't get any gains? That's not how it works, my man.

How is that not simple? SS gives you a specific pre-set program that basically involves 3 lifts each session. Getting the movements right takes a little bit of learning but shit if you're going to the gym anyway you might as well take the time to learn things properly whilst you're there.

Personally i'd much rather take the time to follow a simple program like that then fuck around and realise i've wasted months of my time on something that isn't working.

Is it:

Workout A:

Squats
Benchpress
Deadlift

Workout B:

Squats
Benchpress
Military press

That's pretty much what I've been doing. I've also done barbell rows but I'm not sure if that's recommended.

Doesn't look that bad to me. Personally this is how my 2 day program looks:

Workout A:
Squats
bench press
Bent over row

Workout B:
OHP
deadlifts

I add dips, chin ups and pull ups to my workouts along with a few select extra exercises that i happen to enjoy (like low row, lat pulldowns and cable crossover).

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends

If you want results, its gotta be that way. A month in and I'm seeing small results, six months from now I should be at my desired weight (not physique though, that takes much longer).

Can anyone on FitGAF recommend a jump rope? I wanna start doing that so I can improve my balance and rhythm with footwork.

Wolfe

Well you basically have two options, follow one of the beginner programs (which I'm not even exactly sure how you don't consider those simple to the point of "pick of and play"), or keep dicking around and making it up as you go.

Not trying to sound harsh or anything but this stuff is only as complicated as you make it.

I never seem to get good form when doing the OHP with relatively heavy weight. I take a deep breath, tense up and push straight up but I still end up hurting my lower neck/upper spine.

Not sure if I've pulled something now as I can't put my head all the way into my chest.

Are there any good videos on how to fix form for OHP? I started 5x5 about 6 weeks ago and I just knew this movement would be my first problem eventually.

I never seem to get good form when doing the OHP with relatively heavy weight. I take a deep breath, tense up and push straight up but I still end up hurting my lower neck/upper spine.

Not sure if I've pulled something now as I can't put my head all the way into my chest.

Are there any good videos on how to fix form for OHP? I started 5x5 about 6 weeks ago and I just knew this movement would be my first problem eventually.

I really like this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqKhLR1zRaU

I plateued at 32.5 then watched this vid now I can do 40 without much problem.

Petrie

Banned

This just has to be some kind of troll account. There's no way this is serious right?

This just has to be some kind of troll account. There's no way this is serious right?

Of course it's serious. The Squat, OHP, Deadlift are all pretty complicated movements not to talk about the Olympic lifts. People post formchecks for barbell stuff but no one posts formchecks for machines.

You can say read the OP! But that doesn't tell you how to power clean, it just says do it. You have to think about the novice who is placed in a completely foreign environment with people who are natural and comfortable and you can see how someone would be anxious that they will make a mistake or embarrass themselves.

The correct response is to tell the person to look at youtube for form videos and then start with a light weight or just spend a session going through each exercise with just the barbell so they get a feel for it.

Leeness

Omg, send help. I climbed 463 stairs up, 463 stairs down, and walked up a huge hill (with more stairs) and to another church (with more stairs) in Florence today. I actually am not sure if I can make it back to my hotel.

Help.

Vio-Lence

Banned
Omg, send help. I climbed 463 stairs up, 463 stairs down, and walked up a huge hill (with more stairs) and to another church (with more stairs) in Florence today. I actually am not sure if I can make it back to my hotel.

Help.
Depending on where you travel in Italy beware more stairs in Positano, St. Peters, and other sights in and around Rome.

Cagey

Banned
Let me take a brief moment to extol the virutes of racquetball as cardio.

1) It's a sport, not cardio in the boring sense
2) At some gym chains, the racquetball courts are right there in the gym itself
3) Work up a sweat sprinting around a boxed-in room, HIIT style
4) Find another asshole like yourself, play constantly, get competitive
5) It's a sport, not boring ass typical cardio
6) Promotes hip and shoulder flexibility, for those too impatient or lazy or alpha-bro to stretch
7) Even if you play against some Omega Weapon caliber boss players, they're going to run you up and down the court, so you still get a workout while getting utterly smacked down.

Racquetball is the shit. 1.5-2 hours a week, twice a week.

Petrie

Banned
Of course it's serious. The Squat, OHP, Deadlift are all pretty complicated movements not to talk about the Olympic lifts. People post formchecks for barbell stuff but no one posts formchecks for machines.

You can say read the OP! But that doesn't tell you how to power clean, it just says do it. You have to think about the novice who is placed in a completely foreign environment with people who are natural and comfortable and you can see how someone would be anxious that they will make a mistake or embarrass themselves.

The correct response is to tell the person to look at youtube for form videos and then start with a light weight or just spend a session going through each exercise with just the barbell so they get a feel for it.

This has absolutely nothing to do with the post I quoted.

He said he didn't want to deal with a program because he just wants to show up and do whatever, then complained about results.

This has absolutely nothing to do with the post I quoted.

He said he didn't want to deal with a program because he just wants to show up and do whatever, then complained about results.

I don't really want to get into a long argument. He complained about it not being simple. It isn't.

Pete Rock

He complained about it not being simple. It isn't.
That's alright. Nobody likes it when someone tells them what they don't want to hear. We're not going to change that anytime soon.

A more reasonable expectation would be the individual modifying their concept of "simple". However, that is up to or "on" them. Or in other words - you can explain anything to someone, but you can't make them understand it.

Let me take it to the logical extents - the most simple thing anyone could do would be nothing. You would get zero results, but you would also "waste" zero time. Obviously this would be the best investment if "simple" is your driving prerogative.

The only practice that requires you to do absolutely "nothing" is to meditate, and honestly most people can't even manage that at a conceptual level.

That being said, wanting to keep things simple and do nothing complicated, you could take up meditation and eradicate desire. Go for it. I fully support that endeavor.

Ripped the headphone jack out of my shitty $15 mp3 player and had to scoop a new one which turned out to be PURPLE and TEAL fuck ya upgraaaaaaaades!!! Swapping out my Big Room House (ugh) chunes for some FILTHY PSYTRAP today, ohhhhhshiiii

G JONES & BLEEP BLOOP - ALL CAPS
Galantis - You (Brillz Remix) [Psychic Type Refix]
Gucci Mane - Pacman (Bleep Bloop Remix)
Clap! Clap! - Elon Mentana feat. DJ Khalab (Black Acre)
Don Midass - Don't Stop Pop That (Original Mix)
What So Not - High You Are (Branchez Remix)
R/D - Snow Poem

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
In addition to what jump rope anyone could recommend, when should I start fasting? I'm assuming its after you get your goal and wanna sculpt what you have (assuming you have the muscle for it).

agrajag

Banned
I don't really want to get into a long argument. He complained about it not being simple. It isn't.

You actually have no point here. Not a semblance of one. He said he's already doing squats, deadlifts and overhead presses. No one is telling him to do Olympic lifts. The technique of the lifts is not what he was complaining about. He's complaining about having to stick to a program "because sometimes the squat rack is being used when I go to the gym," to paraphrase. The program is simple as shit.

SeanR1221

You actually have no point here. Not a semblance of one. He said he's already doing squats, deadlifts and overhead presses. No one is telling him to do Olympic lifts. The technique of the lifts is not what he was complaining about. He's complaining about having to stick to a program "because sometimes the squat rack is being used when I go to the gym," to paraphrase. The program is simple as shit.

Yeah seriously. No one said the movements were simple to learn.

But the linear progression of the program? It really is the most simple thing ever.

Petrie

Banned

Yeah seriously. No one said the movements were simple to learn.

But the linear progression of the program? It really is the most simple thing ever.

Glad it isn't just me who noticed Moral Panic appears to have not read any of the discussion he is responding to.

freshair

Feeling more confident in my deadlifts.

Watched a bunch of videos and recorded myself. Just slight issues with upper back rounding when starting off the lift.

So my size S shirts are starting to fit tighter. Time to buy new shirts? Common issue when working out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom