• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Why? You can cut without even the slightest amount of cardio (though HIIT is worth doing).

I've been in a really dark place lately and when I run I forget, so I want to run so I feel better. For some reason lifting doesn't do that for me. I just go, and go, and go...and I forget all the bullshit that hurts.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Fair enough, mountain biking is pretty much the only thing I can do to shut off my head, so I get that.

Yeah. I also know over the past couple months I'm not taking care of myself like I should. I eat way less than I need to because I have no appetite anymore, and I sleep maybe a few hours a night because I can't shut off my thoughts. Honestly, it's a miracle I've kept my lean body mass - I think the fact I'm on testosterone therapy has been what's keeping it up.

I've been in a really dark place lately and when I run I forget, so I want to run so I feel better. For some reason lifting doesn't do that for me. I just go, and go, and go...and I forget all the bullshit that hurts.

Yeah, when I have things bothering me they affect my lifting instead of it freeing my mind from them. Running or jogging, preferably with music, is more therapeutic.

sphinx

the piano man

I can relate so much to this.

Running away is the best theraphy or the best way to shut down thoughts,

Lifting doesn't do it, lifting is actually pretty stressful to me, psychologically.

Specially if I am serious about it and I am wanting to get some strength results, it's fun and exciting but not relaxing in the least.

in absolute terms nothing is better to get out of this world like playing a music instrument, If I can get a grand piano tucked in a dark corner away from everyone and everything,
I'd play there for hours. When I am done, it's like a massage for my head, or soul, can't quite explain.

I highly recommend to everyone here to complement their fitness life with music making of some kind. Honest, it makes a difference, it's fitness for your soul.

/offtopic

Chocobro

Not only music making, but I think having something that allows you to be creative is important. I actually can't do that since I haven't found a job in my field yet..

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I can relate so much to this.

Running away is the best theraphy or the best way to shut down thoughts,

Lifting doesn't do it, lifting is actually pretty stressful to me, psychologically.

Specially if I am serious about it and I am wanting to get some strength results, it's fun and exciting but not relaxing in the least.

in absolute terms nothing is better to get out of this world like playing a music instrument, If I can get a grand piano tucked in a dark corner away from everyone and everything,
I'd play there for hours. When I am done, it's like a massage for my head, or soul, can't quite explain.

I highly recommend to everyone here to complement their fitness life with music making of some kind. Honest, it makes a difference, it's fitness for your soul.

/offtopic

Not only music making, but I think having something that allows you to be creative is important. I actually can't do that since I haven't found a job in my field yet..

Yeah, I've turned to music as well and I'm not sure if it helps or makes me dwell on shit, but I'm actually making things that people like and express how I feel sometimes. Set up a Soundcloud and everything. I have the tools! It's been sort of sonic therapy but I just need it from everything until I break out of this shit.

I can't lie though, dropping weight is nice, but the compliments are even better.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
It's only Wednesday and I'm looking at my pizza joints menu for my Sunday cheat! U-oh... Must be strong!

Zero2kz

My healing progress on my Sciatica/Pinched Nerve issue in my back seems to have stalled.

I did 4-5 weeks of stretches recommended by my physical therapist, and it seems to have hit a wall. Not much progress has been made in the last week or so. He did give his stamp of approval to go back and hit the weights at the gym, and it actually makes everything feel better by the end of the day. But it flares up after any moderate amount of sitting (which is often due to having a desk job. I have been getting up every 30-40 minutes to walk around and stretch to try and counteract it)

I am still avoided deadlifting and squats, which is hard for me to do, I really want to get back into it. Bench press causes minor irritation but not anything significant. But during my back workout I was still doing heavy T-bar rows and heavy shoulder shrugs, and there was no noticeable issues with my back.

I used to bench 305 and now 225 feels like a metric fuck ton.

Gained 20 pounds since being injured. Really trying hard now to cut down and get back on the gain train.

Cagey

Banned
After blasting the legs, I keep the leg press loaded yesterday for calves torture. I have naturally large upper legs and naturally dainty little calf muscles. It's a sore spot.

Wife walks over, sees me struggling with a bunch of weight, and says "wow that looks really heavy, why do you keep doing all this if nothing ever changes?"

My calves have feelings too, honey =(

It's only Wednesday and I'm looking at my pizza joints menu for my Sunday cheat! U-oh... Must be strong!

might need to double up on the pizza in case the niners get outscored by a few dozen in the second half ;)

also, i saw a dude on his knees attempting to ohp in a smith machine the other day. WTF

Trying to get some lifting in between working and moving is a pain in the ass. I've been taking 2 day breaks in between lifts which I really don't like. Any fellow moving Fit gaffers have some advice?

Cooter

might need to double up on the pizza in case the niners get outscored by a few dozen in the second half ;)

also, i saw a dude on his knees attempting to ohp in a smith machine the other day. WTF
I don't have high expectations for this game. I'm expecting the worse.

Cudder

Bench 5x5 270lbs complete holy shiiit

next week will be 2 plates and a 25 for the first time ever. im wondering what my 1 rep max is right about now.

Sadetar

A local sport wear store is closing so I innocently went there to see what was in discount. I tried on 100% pure merino wool polo shirt and leggings/long underpants... and they were so damn comfy I didn't want to take them off anymore. Now I have been chilling at home in those and I am totally in love. I can already imagine our long and loving relationship. They will embrace me when I am biking to work or going for long nordic walks. Also for some odd reason these are actually extremely flattering and I feel like a comfy ninja in my tightly fitting black outfit. The sad part is that they were extremely expensive, but I do hope they are worth every penny... I just realized I actually didn't buy anything I went there for. Oh well. :p

Wait, you mean we weren't friends. :(
Awwwwww honey, I should rephrase that - I need more friends like you. :p Preferrably that kind of friends who would come to the gym with me, know what to do in there, hold my hand and show me how everything is done.

By the way, why CrankyJay, our superhero daddy, is banned?

Dad Mode Engaged!!!

klQ1S5F.gif
That gif is awesome! I am sure some achievement was unlocked. :D

Ah, this reminds me that I need to start to paint again. I could be in a flow for hours and just relax.

Kitty, I am utterly jealous... and hungry (this seems to be the case every time with your posts though). ;) I blame this all solely on you.

My healing progress on my Sciatica/Pinched Nerve issue in my back seems to have stalled.

I did 4-5 weeks of stretches recommended by my physical therapist, and it seems to have hit a wall. Not much progress has been made in the last week or so. He did give his stamp of approval to go back and hit the weights at the gym, and it actually makes everything feel better by the end of the day. But it flares up after any moderate amount of sitting (which is often due to having a desk job. I have been getting up every 30-40 minutes to walk around and stretch to try and counteract it)

I am still avoided deadlifting and squats, which is hard for me to do, I really want to get back into it. Bench press causes minor irritation but not anything significant. But during my back workout I was still doing heavy T-bar rows and heavy shoulder shrugs, and there was no noticeable issues with my back.

I used to bench 305 and now 225 feels like a metric fuck ton.

Gained 20 pounds since being injured. Really trying hard now to cut down and get back on the gain train.
I feel you there sweetie. I was going back and forth with my back for nearly two years.

Good that you get up around every 30 minutes. That was exactly what I have been doing as well. It helps.

I would say that don't do anything that actually causes nerve pain at the gym. Trust me on this, it will only make it last longer. I didn't do anything for two months that could even possibly irritate my back muscles and it really made the difference. I did and still do stretches every day for the back. I would also recommend nordic walking. That was a miracle maker for at least my back. Two hours twice a week helped more than everything else together.

Just stick with your exercises and you will be good as new. Godspeed!

After blasting the legs, I keep the leg press loaded yesterday for calves torture. I have naturally large upper legs and naturally dainty little calf muscles. It's a sore spot.

Wife walks over, sees me struggling with a bunch of weight, and says "wow that looks really heavy, why do you keep doing all this if nothing ever changes?"

My calves have feelings too, honey =(
Ouch. Poor babe.

Just be stubborn and keep going. Also you can think that those aren't your strong points but your strenght lies elsewhere. For example my upper body definitely lacks the definition and muscle mass that I naturally have in my legs. I am quite fine with this fact nowadays. I actually some time back also hated my calves because I thought they were too big. Thanks to this thread I have learnt to like them. Nowadays the circumference is 45 cm / 17.7 inches and I see my legs as my best feature. But like I said, my upper body is totally shitty and fat still so I just try to mentally concentrade on the good parts and be happy about them while still naturally working with the parts that still very much need it.

If cardio helps you to focus on positive things or at least let go on the negative things, it is just good for you. Especially if you think you aren't burning off your muscles, I would say that continue doing it and stop worrying. Your testosterone therapy has been helping you out with keeping your muscle mass, but have you seen any improvements mentally cause of it? Generally just do things that you enjoy doing and that make you feel better at the moment.

Keep in mind I'm 6'7", but I was at 310 (it horrified me too, I usually say fuck scales but this time the scale fucked me) and I'm at 270s and still have most of my strength.
You are a damn huge beast and I meant that in the best possible meanings of the words. <3

Nice video, you're very soft spoken. Nice bit of info about your history. I and probably others can definitely see some parallels to your journey. We all had to start somewhere. Thanks for sharing some of your story.

Now, why didn't you get to the part when a gamma bomb exploded near you?

Thanks for sharing this. I've been quiet lately and things haven't been so good but this really picked me up and makes me feel better.

Darth, gave the video a thumbs up, loved it.

I don't know how to say it in the right way, but you are always so extremely sweet, adorable and sexy at the same time. You are one of the people in here that I personally find the most encouraging and motivating. I always look at your posts, vids and pics in a way that if you were able to do it, I can reach my goals as well. And honestly, because of this thread and these people in here, I know I can. I only wish I could have started earlier, but then again I am very happy that I started when I did.

I am also already noticing the same thing that you mentioned about seeing yourself bigger than you are. Even if I am still overweight I am definitely not as big as I used to be and yet I go to the same clothes sizes I used to use 40 pounds ago. The mental image changes way slower than the body does.

Absolutely awesome video. Thank you so much for posting it!
Thanks you all, that means so so so so much to me to read these comments. They really give me drive more than any YT video, bodybuilding meme, or speech. It's nice to finally have my head in the game again and my body almost back to where it should be (big, lean, and ripped). I've gotten a lot of overwhelmingly positive support these past few weeks from Facebook, Instagram, and YT and it has really put me in a good spot. Thanks again lovelies.

There is like this one spot in the gym where the lighting is perfect and I caught myself in it last night. I was actually floored to see myself, I've cut down so much and I looked so beastly. I gotta figure out a way to get a pic lol, it's not close enough to any mirrors.

Vince, chin up and get to it! If you ever need a pep talk, I'm always here to chat stuff out. That goes for anyone in this thread.

Cooter

Kitty, I am utterly jealous... and hungry (this seems to be the case every time with your posts though). ;) I blame this all solely on you.

I've got big shoulders (although not Imm0rt4l big) so throw the blame on them!

Have I mention how much I hate shoulder/tris day? Doing DB seated OHP with raises and all cable work for tris is excruciatingly dull! Blah... Getting old sucks!

JCX

Great video DarthWufei

Next week marks a year of working out every week. Prior to this, my longest stretch was about 3 months before I'd get discouraged. I'm even getting some compliments form people who say I've lost weight, which is encouraging even though my wight loss hit a wall earlier this year, weight training has given my body more of a shape.

Diet is still my biggest hurdle. I know if I eat clean and do cardio daily, the weight will come off so much faster, it's just hard to balance long-term goals with short term gratification especially since I love potatoes too much)

This thread overall has been great motivation for me, even though I don't post much. You all are to blame for my new Quest bar addiction.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
If my overhead is at 155 for reps, where should my bench be?

Also got the official diagnosis today, chostochondritis. Anybody dealt with it before?

I saw an MCT Oil while browsing Onnit's page and wanted to get some feedback from you all that know more about this sort of thing. Is this something I should be taking(generally speaking, not the Onnit brand specifically)? Reading up on a few other sites makes it seem like a decent thing to have, but is it what you would call necessary?

I hate having weak traps, they've grown a lot since last year but they're still small by proportion. Someone called me out on it today and it made me feel pretty shitty.

I've pretty much done everything to facilitate trap growth, heavy DLs, shrugs, upright rows, face pulls, heavy, light.

I'm convinced I just don't have the genetics for it. All my trap size goes to my quads.

ydpzVpI.jpg

:(

Cooter

Darth, obviously the person who brought up your traps is insecure. I've never noticed your traps being disproportionate for what it's worth. Maybe you just have a skewed view based on MTP's and Imm0rt4l's freakishly massive neck holders? ;-)

On another note, I'm trying to estimate how many calories I burn in about 60-70 minutes of vigorous weight lifting. I've read anywhere to 500 which I feel is too high to three hundred. What are some opinions around here? If it really is closer to 500 then between lifting today and my 10 minute run I burned 700 calories today! Bonus peanut butter consumption if true!!

Bowser

Darth, obviously the person who brought up your traps is insecure. I've never noticed your traps being disproportionate for what it's worth. Maybe you just have a skewed view based on MTP's and Imm0rt4l's freakishly massive neck holders? ;-)

On another note, I'm trying to estimate how many calories I burn in about 60-70 minutes of vigorous weight lifting. I've read anywhere to 500 which I feel is too high to three hundred. What are some opinions around here? If it really is closer to 500 then between lifting today and my 10 minute run I burned 700 calories today! Bonus peanut butter consumption if true!!

I've always heard an estimated 4 cal/min for weights and 6 cal/min for cardio. So by that metric, 60-70 min of weights should be around 240-280? Depends on what "vigorous" means I guess. But I think at best you'd get 360-420.

I think I read those values from Lyle McDonald, but not 100% sure on that.

Leeness

I know I can't continue like this. This month has been so insane. The end of the year I am working around 30 hours per a month. I need to actually write my graduating thesis to get Real Person Job as well. :p This has been fine for the time being but I do want to get my master's degree and just be over it.

I have keep up with my work out routine and haven't skipped a day. I have been sleeping less than I should, but at least I am still alive. I know it is counter productive, but it will end soon anyways and I have still been very energetic.

It sucks to be injured. Poor babe! Well, make your appointments and hopefully you will have some movements that will make it better and you would be able to continue to work out. You can always work with your arms and upper body though! Also for example planks and that kind of things could work, if you are on your knees. :)

Sorry the yoga didn't work out for you. I think you have to go to a beginner class. Some of the movements are really difficult if you don't know what you are doing and the instructor sucks. I hope you find a better class!

Masters degree, ooh. Congrats! That will be really exciting! Then hopefully you will have a Real Person Job with good hours. Awesome.

I have set a physio appointment for October 2. It should only be one session, and then I will have exercises to help me fix my ankles. That's the hope anyway. I am going to start my workouts again tomorrow. Middle of the week makes it kind of weird but better late than never. I am going to try that program that Cooper recommended, You Are Your Own Gym. We'll see how that goes.

I hate having weak traps, they've grown a lot since last year but they're still small by proportion. Someone called me out on it today and it made me feel pretty shitty.

I've pretty much done everything to facilitate trap growth, heavy DLs, shrugs, upright rows, face pulls, heavy, light.

I'm convinced I just don't have the genetics for it. All my trap size goes to my quads.

ydpzVpI.jpg

I know that we are own worst critics but trust me brah, your traps are fantastic. And while you see them as a weak point, I fail to see that at all. As for the guy who called you out, I don't get it either. Whenever you post pics, "weak traps" is not even close to what I am thinking. Hell, your traps aren't even a negative at all.

Trust me, take it from a guy who would kill to have traps like yours.

Wolfe

I'd say the second link would be more relevant for him. The first one, not so much because that's for low-bar squats.
---------------------------
Pinewood, if you want to watch more videos regarding squats, you can just go through my Evernote page for the squat section.

Yeah I should have clarified, I just think of that first video when I see someone posting form check vids with their wrists completely under the bar during squats. Plus who knows the extra info may be useful for him at some point.

Maybe I shouldn't have used such an extreme term lol. Is it worth taking or trying for us folks that workout and stay active? I don't really take things in the way of supplements most of the time, but I'm ignorant to most of it as well.

I really wouldn't bother with that one. Creatine aside, most of them aren't worth bothering with unless you're competing (or you're willing to use more extreme "supplements").

Unrelated, what sort of wanker would "call someone out" on their trap size. Some people fucking astound me.

Pakoe

ydpzVpI.jpg

You're being waaaaaay to hard on yourself, those are an impressive set of traps you've got going on there.

So I finally managed to lose 28kg (62 lbs) of weight, while gaining some muscles over the last year.
I'm 6'2" tall and my current weight is 202 lbs.
I can run 3.5 miles in half an hour and I manage to do Squats and deadlines with 210lbs@10rpm.
My routines so far were to run for half an hour and do lifts afterwards. My strength routine is splited in 3 parts.

My progress to lose weight has really slowed down if not stopped after raising my calorie intake to 1800 calories. I guess my calorie tracking is false somehow over the last weeks.

Zero2kz

Have you tried a kneeling chair for the office?

Something like this:

71161_353729_T.jpg

We got some for the office a few years ago, and they've made a huge difference in my chronic back pain.

I have a co-worker who tried one for awhile but stopped. Maybe he can let me try it out.

I feel like the chronic knee pain that I will develop from that will distract me from my sciatic issues. lol

Pinewood

Watched the Rippletoe video, the position and grip on the low bar squat is more clear now, thanks! I've also seen the Alan Thrall video but will rewatch that.

I'd say the second link would be more relevant for him. The first one, not so much because that's for low-bar squats.
---------------------------
Pinewood, if you want to watch more videos regarding squats, you can just go through my Evernote page for the squat section.
Been slowly watching videos from there (a long way to go).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom