• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
darth getting those mean cuts. ive been seeing gains left and right and havent taken progress pictures -_-

i should be where I wanna be in a couple more months. 2 months in and I feel great. also deadlifting with dumbells feels so gooddddddd

sphinx

the piano man
on the topic of supplements, I want to ask those who have been in the weightlifting (particularly bodybuilding) world for several years (5-6 and up):

if I am interested in Bodybuilding, is a future in which I carry a huge bag full of supplements unavoidable?

most guys with a body worth a damn in my gym have a world of stuff in their bags, it's like they carry a drugstore with them.

I have no idea what is all that for, probably a shitton of pre, intra, and post workout things plus... mmhh, don't know, fat bruners maybe?

I only take protein shakes when I get home :/ .... I bought creatine in form of pill but I hate swallowing so I stopped that.

any insights?

Pakoe

Where do you buy an ec stack? I'm curious at this point.

Where do you live? I think you can get them from behind the counter in some stores in the US and canada.

some guy at he gym tried to peddle Herbalife to me in between my squat sets last night. I cut him off pretty quick, put my headphones on and went back to my sets.

Lol, what an asshole.

on the topic of supplements, I want to ask those who have been in the weightlifting (particularly bodybuilding) world for several years (5-6 and up):

if I am interested in Bodybuilding, is a future in which I carry a huge bag full of supplements unavoidable?

most guys with a body worth a damn in my gym have a world of stuff in their bags, it's like they carry a drugstore with them.

I have no idea what is all that for, probably a shitton of pre, intra, and post workout things plus... mmhh, don't know, fat bruners maybe?

I only take protein shakes when I get home :/ .... I bought creatine in form of pill but I hate swallowing so I stopped that.

any insights?

No.
Most supplements are bullshit, only use protein shakes for when you miss a meal and BCAA pills/ECA when in a cut. The rest is just to make money off of people that don't know better.
I used to have 20 tubs full of supplements, nowadays i only use multivitamins, fish oil and protein powder and i'm bigger then ever.

Cudder

I'll be back up to 315 on squats on Monday. Still doing 5x5. Wonder if I'll be able to surpass my old record which is 1x5@350lbs

Sadetar

Fuck it. Going to just get chun li thighs. I don't have weights other than dumbbells. Will that work. Is there some routine I should be doing other than squats?

Nsfw. In some undies Day 1- http://i.imgur.com/S8PbZzp.jpg
Ooh! I didn't know that character before this, but she definitely made me feel instantly better about my legs... now I just better work with my waist and tummy (as in cut more as well) to have more of an hourglass figure. :p

And are you a lad (just an assumtion based on your name in here)? You have surprisingly non hairy legs... (Yeah, I am awesome at paying attention to the right things). You also do have quite tight and good looking legs, just saying. :D

I hate swallowing
I so need to get my mind out of the gutter...

Ooh! I didn't know that character before this, but she definitely made me feel instantly better about my legs... now I just better work with my waist and tummy (as in cut more as well) to have more of an hourglass figure. :p

And are you a lad (just an assumtion based on your name in here)? You have surprisingly non hairy legs... (Yeah, I am awesome at paying attention to the right things). You also do have quite tight and good looking legs, just saying. :D.

yeah. i'm a guy. i'm also an asian who can't get hairy. maybe why ;P

Hey guys, could use some advice on how to approach the bench press.

It's by far my weakest lift. Even after resets (i've done 3), I quickly get to a point where I need a spotter, or else I risk getting stuck because I can't finish my reps. Continually resetting seems useless. I've only had to do resets on one other exercise, so it's not as if I've plateau'd overall - it's only on bench.

Recently a dude at the gym advised me to bring the weights way down and do sets of 10 instead of 5. I'm highly skeptical of this because it seems to go against the tried and tested method in the OP of this thread, but it at least got me thinking seriously about my bench press and what I should do about it.

Here's a video of me benching at just over half the weight I've been doing for the 3x5: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fd7hJF20-LU& It may look familiar; I've posted it before. I just reset my bench down to 160, and that worked fine, but a week or so from now it'll be back at like 180 or so and I'm most likely not going to be able to finish out unless something changes.

Thanks in advance.

grumble

It's by far my weakest lift. Even after resets (i've done 3), I quickly get to a point where I need a spotter, or else I risk getting stuck because I can't finish my reps. Continually resetting seems useless. I've only had to do resets on one other exercise, so it's not as if I've plateau'd overall - it's only on bench.

Recently a dude at the gym advised me to bring the weights way down and do sets of 10 instead of 5. I'm highly skeptical of this because it seems to go against the tried and tested method in the OP of this thread, but it at least got me thinking seriously about my bench press and what I should do about it.

Here's a video of me benching at just over half the weight I've been doing for the 3x5: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fd7hJF20-LU& It may look familiar; I've posted it before. I just reset my bench down to 160, and that worked fine, but a week or so from now it'll be back at like 180 or so and I'm most likely not going to be able to finish out unless something changes.

Thanks in advance.

Eat more. Gain a bunch of weight and the gains will come.

Cudder

Thanks in advance.

There are things in your setup that you can change for results. Don't flare your arms out too far from your sides. Bring in your elbows closer to your body and bench like that. Also your entire lower body is just sort of "there". You're not engaging your lower half for stability nor drive, so that should help a bunch too.

Like in your triceps?

Yea. The grey part of this pic.

Best-triceps-exercise.jpg

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Hahahahahahaha, this is actually so great idea I might need to do it at some point!

Cooter, any good reference photos so I could paint you like one of my French girls? ;)

Oh man... Like there are not enough pictures floating around these threads? haha

sphinx

the piano man
so my first Tank Top "douchebag/Gold's Gym" style just arrived.

I am wearing it right now and walking around in my place to come to terms with it.

I feel naked, my left nipple is showing lol but worst of all, I don't have the body to wear it with pride but I bought it, it arrived and it's there ready to be used so no fucks shall be given next time I hit the gym.

somehow I am excited over something as stupid. I really want to see how it looks on a pump.

Like in your triceps?

Das it mane

Thank you :)

Not a fan of stringer tanks?

Thanks brah. Did not think I had it in me. Was super hyped.

so my first Tank Top "douchebag/Gold's Gym" style just arrived.

I am wearing it right now and walking around in my place to come to terms with it.

I feel naked, my left nipple is showing lol but worst of all, I don't have the body to wear it with pride but I bought it, it arrived and it's there ready to be used so no fucks shall be given next time I hit the gym.

somehow I am excited over something as stupid. I really want to see how it looks on a pump.

Embrace it. Feels fantastic.

sphinx

the piano man
Embrace it. Feels fantastic.

yeah that's what I am thinking,

I think it's going to be like working out shirtless, something I've never done cause it's not allowed in my gym, (besides, it'd be tacky as shit).

they are so convenient, haha, they hide gut and show the right body parts.

here happy with my new toy

showingpic_zps3de8f282.jpg

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
Has anyone here done squats after a calf strain with a calf sleeve on, or know if it's a good or bad idea? I'm not quite fully recovered to do calf raises but could probably squat. Not sure if I should get back in there or not either.

Cooter

I just weighed and Googled a yam I bought for tonight. 500 calories and 120 carbs. Jesus!!

Pyrokai

Hey guys, I don't typically post in this thread (I'm a regular in the Beachbody thread and do those workouts), but I figured I could ask for some help here....

Is this a good strategy for a "tame" bulk?

Weight: 165lbs @ 26yrs old, 5'10"

Eat: ~3,000/day, 30p/40c/30f macro split

I'm average activity level outside of exercising (I have a desk job but I'm constantly moving around at home even when not exercising).

My short-term goal is to get up to 175lbs of mostly muscle by eating well. My long-term goal is to weigh 180lbs of mostly muscle. At this point in time, I have no way of finding out my body fat percentage

I would also be burning about 400-600 calories per day depending on what workout I do, if that's relevant. I'm actually getting a hear rate monitor tomorrow so I will soon have a better idea what I burn during each workout :)

Thanks, guys!

ILoveBish

Had one of the best workouts in months tonight. Everything felt incredible, strength, that animal instinct, got my arms positioned where they didn't even bother me ONE BIT on squats and dialed in form even better (bar higher to actually be in the right position and not too low). Just felt like a beast, had a ton of energy. Got 365x2 and 365x1 on squats, and on the calories i'm on that is just incredible. Thank God for getting into lifting, its been such a wild ride and i feel so good again. All it took was bringing bulletproof coffee back into my diet. The MCT's are giving me strength like mad at the gym. If you are doing low carb, i highly recommend fitting them into your macros right before the gym. Its what works for me.

JCX

Anyone use lifting straps? I didn't mind the calluses at first, but as I've moved up to heaver weights, they've gotten more pronounced to the point where it hurts a bit when I move my fingers at the joint.

Zero2kz

One yam? That thing must be huge.

My record in finding the largest Yam or Sweet Potato was a 1.3 pound Yam.

Ate it with almond butter. Overall it was probably 1000+ calories. Was an amazing post workout meal.

Anyone use lifting straps? I didn't mind the calluses at first, but as I've moved up to heaver weights, they've gotten more pronounced to the point where it hurts a bit when I move my fingers at the joint.

My calluses healed from being injured and not going to the gym as often. I miss them lol. Trying to get them back.

sphinx

the piano man
I used to care about calluses but I think of them as a tatoo.

As long as it doesn't hurt or truly damage my skin, I just let them be.

I do have to wonder why do I get much bigger calluses on my right palm than on my left one, every exercise that causes calluses is two handed, I have no idea.

Cooter

One yam? That thing must be huge.
I've seen much larger. That's the thing. It was about 430gs. Between the yam, tri tip, and spinach salad it was a 1200 cal meal. Not too bad. Today on the other hand is pizza time! 5,000 cal minimum.

Anyone got any suggestions for avoiding the massive DOMS I get after leg day? Quads specifically.

My other body parts seem to adapt, and whilst they're initially sore, they don't tend to be after repeating the workout the following week... but I always get it on my legs seemingly no matter how often I work out. I suspect possibly related to the amount of cycling I do.

Today I literally can't sit down without using my arms and I'm only able to walk very slowly around (after using my arms to get me up). That's after two doses of ibuprofen. :(

I think it's going to be like working out shirtless, something I've never done cause it's not allowed in my gym, (besides, it'd be tacky as shit).

I want one now

Anyone got any suggestions for avoiding the massive DOMS I get after leg day? Quads specifically.

My other body parts seem to adapt, and whilst they're initially sore, they don't tend to be after repeating the workout the following week... but I always get it on my legs seemingly no matter how often I work out. I suspect possibly related to the amount of cycling I do.

Today I literally can't sit down without using my arms and I'm only able to walk very slowly around (after using my arms to get me up). That's after two doses of ibuprofen. :(

Isn't taking an ice bath after working out suppose to help with DOMS?

sphinx

the piano man

walking, seriously, walk half an hour.

doms won't go right away but definitely earlier than if you hadn't walked at all.

I want one now

this one is made of cotton though... I can't sweat too much on it I'd guess.

that was the one positive thing about compression shirts, no sweat no matter what.

It helps that this style of tank top is the choice of most guys in the free weight area in my gym. I hope that helps me forget the feel of being almost naked

in this sense, I thank Germany for not giving a fuck about anyone or anything. Everyone minds their own business in every part of life. you can wear a Swan dress Björk style and you'd still have to make some noices to make people notice you for more than a split second.

agrajag

Banned
the best thing for dealing with DOMS is high training frequency. Due to my new job, I only have the energy to work out two times a week, and I'm in DOM city every time.

walking, seriously, walk half an hour.

doms won't go right away but definitely earlier than if you hadn't walked at all.

I've tried doing some spinning on my turbo trainer to the same ends (didn't do anything). I'll try the walking thing though. Thanks.

the best thing for dealing with DOMS is high training frequency.

Work out six days a week as it is. Couldn't really do any more! Could do legs twice a week, but I'd really rather not (I hate leg day).

agrajag

Banned
Work out six days a week as it is. Couldn't really do any more! Could do legs twice a week, but I'd really rather not (I hate leg day).

I meant training frequency of a particular lift/body part. If you train every day but only hit squats once a week, then yeah, you will get tremendous DOMS. Obviously you have settled on a regimen that you're happy with, but maybe lowering the volume and increasing frequency would make you hate leg days a little less and then you could do them twice a week.

grumble

I meant training frequency of a particular lift/body part. If you train every day but only hit squats once a week, then yeah, you will get tremendous DOMS. Obviously you have settled on a regimen that you're happy with, but maybe lowering the volume and increasing frequency would make you hate leg days a little less and then you could do them twice a week.

Leg day is the best. Do it twice a week. No more doms!

Sadetar

Even if the scale hasn't been moving basicly at all in the past month, I still feel a bit smaller than I used to. I need to wear a costume once in a while at work and this weekend I went to check what size I could use next Tuesday. I was extremely delighted to notice I actually managed to squeeze myself into a way smaller dress than I have previously used. I am well aware it is still a bit (read: waaaaayyy) too tight, but none the less I am most likely going to wear it. Compared to where I started a bit over six months ago, I feel I have gone a long way already. I know I am still overweight and still having loads to do before I am satisfied, but hey, baby steps offer short moments of happiness. :D

A bit different Sunday selfie
(in a rush looking like a bitch. I need to "act" many things and "susinarttu" translated to "wolf bitch" is among them.)
20140928.jpg

yeah. i'm a guy. i'm also an asian who can't get hairy. maybe why ;P
I am utterly jealous at the moment. :p

Thank you :)

Not a fan of stringer tanks?
Hahah, well, I don't know am I that much against stringer tanks on their own, but generally they just don't look as good on people as they do on your body. ;) I am fairly sure you could wear basicly anything and make it look ridiculously sexy.

Oh man... Like there are not enough pictures floating around these threads? haha
Of you? Absolutely not. ;P

So awesome! Wear it with pride! :D

I want one now
Sweetie, we are on the same page - I want you to own one as well. So be a good boy and go buy one and share us a photo of you wearing it! ^_^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom