• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

sphinx

the piano man
I think you show a very nice figure in that dress :)

I can't imagine why you have to wear something like that though lol

Leeness

Hahaha, cutie, if master's degree would be that exciting I would have got it like 4-5 years ago. Thanks anyways, I think I should be more excited about it than I am. :p But yeah, now I just need to get it done before end of July or I will need to do some extra work and I rather skip them.

What comes to that case yoga, I went to a class that was supposed to be designed for people who haven't never done yoga before and who are out of shape. I have actually done asthanga yoga before (did one class of it even if I didn't enjoy it since I was in so bad shape) and I am not particularly out of shape anymore, but I can't just do the movements because of my back and the instructor was just absolutely awful and most of the time didn't even try to come out anything that I could have done instead. I am anyways going to go to another yoga session that should include slow phased hatha yoga with different instructor.

Hopefully the physio visit will help you to make you feel better. How have your work outs been now and what do you think about your new program? :)

Masters degree get iiiiit. I've never even had a bachelors, despite going to school for years and years lmao. Oh well. I'll have a paralegal certification after another...4 years and will make good money (to go on trips with!).

Hatha yoga will be good until you get more comfortable with how yoga works with your body. Yoga should be for strength and relaxing and it shouldn't hurt your back! :)

Physio on October 2. I hope they will give some good exercises to fix my ankles and the stupid calf tearing (which happened again a few nights ago).

I...haven't started again yet. Lmao. Still just been sleeping. I am finally on a normal schedule again at least. But yeah...just been vegging and snoozing and catching up on shows and eating ice cream lol.

I'm going to start tomorrow! I'm going to start doing a mix of the program Cooper suggested, You Are Your Own Gym, and do that M/W/F, cardio kickboxing T/Th, and then on the weekends, my strength yoga and just get 'er done. Lots more weight to lose, always gotta keep going.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q3ciiiy5pc5w0z7/20140928.jpg?dl=1[/QUOTE]

You look great in that dress! :)

Bleepey

21/9/14 18.4% body fat 109 Kg
28/9/14 16.9% body fat 107,7Kg

This was after I did my rowing so that might account for the huge drop in body fat. That said maybe I can get to 100Kg by the end of the month.Maybe in a fortnight if i am really dedicated.

ILoveBish

I already finished my 3s week at the gym for the 11th session, but i now go in for another extra day of trap work and body weight stuff. I got 3 sets of 5 and 2 sets of 3 doing dips (i weighed in at 256lbs the day before), got 4 sets of 3 on chin ups and 2 sets of 2. Also did tons of farmer walks starting with 60lb dumbbells all the way to 100lb. And did about 10 sets of snatch grip barbell shrugs @ 150lbs, i'm finally getting a good feel on these but i likely need straps for best results. Going to take a few days off now at least to recover and get ready for 1s week.

traveler

Not Wario
So the biggest obstacle I've always had with fitness is feeling that I don't do things optimally. I did the P90 program a few years ago and dropped 50 pounds (from around 230 to 180) but still didn't feel I was being effective enough. It's an issue I tend to have in general, though, and is by no means exclusive to fitness- I tend to only do things when I feel I'm doing them "right". In the same line, determining what I should do has always been a huge stumbling block. I don't have any problems committing to a workout, scheduling my meals, workouts, and sleeping appropriately, and sticking to a diet once I'm on it, but actually wading through all the information out there just immediately makes me want to forget the whole thing and drop it.

Fast forward a few years past that original program and I'm incredibly out of shape, after a small heart issue that took me off the workout plan/diet to begin with, (first burger off the diet was in the hospital funnily enough, as they couldn't get me anything healthy instead) a job that made it impossible to develop any kind of sleep routine/exercise habits/eating timings and a fractured ankle that left me in bed for a good chunk of 2013.

I want to get back into a program, but having trouble deciding what to do. I've never been to a gym before- always did my workouts at home- and, while I'm a bit nervous at starting there especially as someone clearly out of shape, they seem like the direction to go. I had been thinking of trying a personal trainer, as someone who doesn't really have any idea how effective or expensive they are, as I'd like to make sure that, no matter what I'm doing, it's appropriate for my schedule, cognizant of recent injuries, and customized for my body. The OP seems pretty positive on its beginning lifting routine as a great start for anyone, but I'm a little wary of one size fits all. I'm also trying to go more lean and improve my cardio for hiking purposes than muscular, although the OP also mentions lifting is a great way to pursue those as well and won't really go down the latter path for a while, so I guess that's not a concern. If, after reading all this, you guys think its still the best idea, then I'll give it a shot. Just wanted to get GAF's input on trainers, a person in my situation, (i'll list the facts asked for in the OP below) and if there might be any other alternatives I should consider, as I know very little about this domain.

Height: 6'1"
Weight: 230
Goal: Thinking 170 weight wise, but I'm not really sure here. I got to 180 before and wasn't satisfied, so I'm targeting lower. Looking to lose weight, and improve health all around. I realize that's not a very useful description, but I don't really know a better way to put it.
Current Training Schedule: None
Current Training Equipment Available: None, but I'm in a city, so there are plenty of gyms in walking distance.
Comments: See above. Probably worth noting that high impact is a little rough on me right now as my ankle is still pretty sensitive. I'm also beginning to suspect I have a fallen arch on left foot from the increased burden I've placed on it since walking again. It's super sore almost immediately every day.

ACE 1991

So I'm really struggling with my bench on the bulking routine I'm running; its an upper/lower split similar Lyle mcdonald's simple bulking routine that has me doing 3 sets of 8, 7, 6 reps. In order to keep progressing can I switch to 3×5? Though it inst the prescribed range this should not mess up the program all that badly right? Stuck at 170lb right now.

Levi

Banned
4EykPJf.jpg

Hit a new PR on 5x1 deadlifts today... 200! Not a big deal for 99% of y'all, I know, but a huge deal for me. On the progressive program I'm on I was scheduled to do 195 but I got greedy and threw on the fractional plates just to get to the second century mark. 😀

frontieruk

So the biggest obstacle I've always had with fitness is feeling that I don't do things optimally. I did the P90 program a few years ago and dropped 50 pounds (from around 230 to 180) but still didn't feel I was being effective enough. It's an issue I tend to have in general, though, and is by no means exclusive to fitness- I tend to only do things when I feel I'm doing them "right". In the same line, determining what I should do has always been a huge stumbling block. I don't have any problems committing to a workout, scheduling my meals, workouts, and sleeping appropriately, and sticking to a diet once I'm on it, but actually wading through all the information out there just immediately makes me want to forget the whole thing and drop it.

Fast forward a few years past that original program and I'm incredibly out of shape, after a small heart issue that took me off the workout plan/diet to begin with, (first burger off the diet was in the hospital funnily enough, as they couldn't get me anything healthy instead) a job that made it impossible to develop any kind of sleep routine/exercise habits/eating timings and a fractured ankle that left me in bed for a good chunk of 2013.

I want to get back into a program, but having trouble deciding what to do. I've never been to a gym before- always did my workouts at home- and, while I'm a bit nervous at starting there especially as someone clearly out of shape, they seem like the direction to go. I had been thinking of trying a personal trainer, as someone who doesn't really have any idea how effective or expensive they are, as I'd like to make sure that, no matter what I'm doing, it's appropriate for my schedule, cognizant of recent injuries, and customized for my body. The OP seems pretty positive on its beginning lifting routine as a great start for anyone, but I'm a little wary of one size fits all. I'm also trying to go more lean and improve my cardio for hiking purposes than muscular, although the OP also mentions lifting is a great way to pursue those as well and won't really go down the latter path for a while, so I guess that's not a concern. If, after reading all this, you guys think its still the best idea, then I'll give it a shot. Just wanted to get GAF's input on trainers, a person in my situation, (i'll list the facts asked for in the OP below) and if there might be any other alternatives I should consider, as I know very little about this domain.

Height: 6'1"
Weight: 230
Goal: Thinking 170 weight wise, but I'm not really sure here. I got to 180 before and wasn't satisfied, so I'm targeting lower. Looking to lose weight, and improve health all around. I realize that's not a very useful description, but I don't really know a better way to put it.
Current Training Schedule: None
Current Training Equipment Available: None, but I'm in a city, so there are plenty of gyms in walking distance.
Comments: See above. Probably worth noting that high impact is a little rough on me right now as my ankle is still pretty sensitive. I'm also beginning to suspect I have a fallen arch on left foot from the increased burden I've placed on it since walking again. It's super sore almost immediately every day.

I don't often post in here, I lurk, I learn, but I spent most of 2012 in a bed after breaking my spine in a RTA, I'd managed at that point to drop 25kg in weight from cycling to and from work (can anyone guess what my RTA involved?), I spent the bulk of 2013 feeling sorry for myself and put weight back on.

I joined a gym and did the usual beginner mistakes trying to make losses through cardio, I got fitter but but found things like running and cycling are better performed out side off of machines and unless you are doing HIIT time constraints hit performance improvements.

I had a free PT session which I was introduced to free weights, in the following three months I dropped a 7kg, I've plateau'd the last month with weight loss, but my body fat has taken a visible reduction and if the readings from the scales is right it's about 1kg reduction in fat to lean muscle, which I'll take. Just remember don't get disheartened if something that if something isn't working for you these guys are here and will advise.

Levi

Banned
lol did you take that pic?

Yeah, the thread was talking recently about gyms with bullshit rules about Pendlays and deadlifts. I bang and clang all the time, no problem, so I guess this only applies to people who release tension too high off the ground? I'm definitely not "gentle", lol.

Yeah, the thread was talking recently about gyms with bullshit rules about Pendlays and deadlifts. I bang and clang all the time, no problem, so I guess this only applies to people who release tension too high off the ground? I'm definitely not "gentle", lol.

my gym only has issues with those crossfit dudes that come in and do those overhead snatches and throw the shit down from over their heads

my gym only has issues with those crossfit dudes that come in and do those overhead snatches and throw the shit down from over their heads

the 24 hour I go have actual bumper plates and an area where they can drop ish like that.

I am pretty lucky in the sense that no one complains or cares.

Wolfe

I mean I guess the noise is one thing but saying it damages the weights? Maybe I'm just ignorant on the matter...

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
My gym has an upstairs weight area where banging the weight on the floor is not allowed and a downstairs "dungeon" with mats where you can unleash your inner beast! It's great.

I started doing leg presses again after squats after a few years away. For as much shit as they get they really do hit your hammies and glutes hard with a high foot position.

J. Bravo

I mean I guess the noise is one thing but saying it damages the weights? Maybe I'm just ignorant on the matter...
Dumb bells break when they're dropped too many times or at the wrong angle. Barbells might break with a lot of weight on them but I've never seen that.

ACE 1991

So I'm really struggling with my bench on the bulking routine I'm running; its an upper/lower split similar Lyle mcdonald's simple bulking routine that has me doing 3 sets of 8, 7, 6 reps. In order to keep progressing can I switch to 3×5? Though it inst the prescribed range this should not mess up the program all that badly right? Stuck at 170lb right now.

Anyone?

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Just got 255 twice! Making great gains these past few weeks! Cut is very soon, gonna miss making gains, but will welcome clothes that fit again in a few months.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Broscience People you hate at the gym

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnNYTMExApI

too much real life
Love this guy! It's like going to a party and pushing two beds together so you can sleep in the crack. Hahahahaha!!! Love it. The dude who takes my equipment after going to the water fountain for 15 seconds hit a little too close to home! I'm about ready to fight when that shit happens to me.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Y'all know any good self-assessment websites for health/fitness?
You'll have to be a bit more specific. Are you looking for strength standards, flexibility/mobility, cardiovascular health, body fat/weight guides?

Sadetar

My gym was totally full today. Lesson learnt, I never ever go there again on Monday afternoon. It seems that everyone wants there after weekend. I normally go on Tuesdays and Fridays and I think I try to stick with those.

I think you show a very nice figure in that dress :)

I can't imagine why you have to wear something like that though lol
Awwww, thanks honey!

Lol, that costume, sometimes with apron and a scarf on the head, is for our drama tours in the museum. People pay ridiculous amounts of money to get not only information but also experiences. So for example people may book me when they are having some formal dinner to boost the athmosphere and make people relax a bit.
I need to say I really, really love those. It is a huge ego boost and they even pay me for doing it (49 euros / a bit over 60 dollars for 15 minutes).

Masters degree get iiiiit. I've never even had a bachelors, despite going to school for years and years lmao. Oh well. I'll have a paralegal certification after another...4 years and will make good money (to go on trips with!).

Hatha yoga will be good until you get more comfortable with how yoga works with your body. Yoga should be for strength and relaxing and it shouldn't hurt your back! :)

Physio on October 2. I hope they will give some good exercises to fix my ankles and the stupid calf tearing (which happened again a few nights ago).

I...haven't started again yet. Lmao. Still just been sleeping. I am finally on a normal schedule again at least. But yeah...just been vegging and snoozing and catching up on shows and eating ice cream lol.

I'm going to start tomorrow! I'm going to start doing a mix of the program Cooper suggested, You Are Your Own Gym, and do that M/W/F, cardio kickboxing T/Th, and then on the weekends, my strength yoga and just get 'er done. Lots more weight to lose, always gotta keep going.

You look great in that dress! :)
Good to hear that you think that hatha yoga could possible suit me. :D

Also thank you for the compliment! It is a very flattering cut and shape. :p

Good luck with the working outs! Just remember to eath healthy, but enough and remember to have your rest days. You should do work outs that actually make you happy and that you enjoy doing. I don't believe that one can change his or her life if he/she doesn't enjoy the changes. :) Same goes with the diet. Only change your diet in a way that you think you could follow for the rest of your life.

At least those have worked for me. I actually tried to imagine what would a person with a body I dream to have eat on daily basis and just sticked with that. :p Stupid, I know, but I do appreciate the results. ^_^

Yes of me! Plenty.

Looking great too!
Sometimes plenty just isn't enough. ;)

And sweetie, thank you! That was very nice of you to say. :D

I'm always the mirror guy. I never notice people behind me until I finish and I'm like, "Oh shit!"

Hope you enjoyed my firm backside. Teehee.
Hahahahah. You are just too big and muscular that you totally block them from the mirror and can't even see them yourself. :p

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
walked into a gnc asking for protein cause i was in a rush for it and the guy asked me if i was maintaing, losing or gaining and i told him losing and im just looking for protein. he asked me if i was even losing weight cause i gotta do with with diet pills.... someone pls tell me if this guy is joking or not.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
walked into a gnc asking for protein cause i was in a rush for it and the guy asked me if i was maintaing, losing or gaining and i told him losing and im just looking for protein. he asked me if i was even losing weight cause i gotta do with with diet pills.... someone pls tell me if this guy is joking or not.
He wasn't joking, he was trying to sell you something you didn't need.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
He wasn't joking, he was trying to sell you something you didn't need.

good, im not the only one who thought so, i was telling him "bro i lost 15 pounds and im seeing gains". he honestly looked like he didn't believe me, i should have flexed for him, even tho im at a weak sauce level right now.

GrapeApes

Ignore people who work at GNC. Just get what you need and get the fuck out. Anytime I go there they try to sell me on useless shit.

_Isaac

This might be sacrilege but.... what are some good exercises to replace a squat? I've had this weird hip problem for a year and a half that won't go away, and it's really painful as soon as I hit parallel on the squat. I've been trying and trying to see if it would get better, but I don't want to risk hurting myself anymore. :/

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
fitgaf, when i do negatives on pull ups, i sometimes feel some pain near my armpit as im going down, as if im stretching a muscle there a bit too much. it was bad the first week of negatives but has progressively gone away but it lingers there every now and then and was wondering what I could do to get that small pain to go away. i hope its not a tear....

I've been lifting for a few months now and I am liking my gains. The guys I work with talk a lot about "Pre-workout" and "recover" drinks. I've started adding wey protein to my oatmeal so I figure, why not explore this other stuff? Should I be going down this rabbit hole? What's the best recommendation GAF can give?

569Nqkal.jpg

Rhaxas

So I've just been eating chicken, peppers, tomatos, nuts, oatmeal, eggs, grapes and salmon the past two weeks.

What other kinds of foods should I be eating so I don't get tired of eating the same stuff everyday?

J. Bravo

This might be sacrilege but.... what are some good exercises to replace a squat? I've had this weird hip problem for a year and a half that won't go away, and it's really painful as soon as I hit parallel on the squat. I've been trying and trying to see if it would get better, but I don't want to risk hurting myself anymore. :/
Stretch your hip flexors and psoas thingy.

Did 3x5 60kg (132 pounts) OHP last workout and i feel like i might be maxed out. At the moment i'm doing OHP every second workout and i kinda feel like that might be too much even though i enjoy it. Right now it's only 10 kg behind my bench lol.

How the hell. Lol.

It's because i do alternate day workouts, one day has OHP and the other has bench. This means they go up at the same rate. Thing is my OHP is maxing out whereas my bench i know i've got heaps of room to keep adding weight before i max out. Kinda makes me wonder if i need to change my program a bit.

sphinx

the piano man
yesterday a guy asked me to spot him on Bench....I sigh but say ok.

I ask how many reps he'll try to do, he says 8 reps. Since in MY philosophy I shouldn't touch the bar unless failure is immnent I just stand there...

by the 4th rep, help is needed... not just a little bump but actual, real help...I don't know what to do but I continue "carrying" the bar as he tries to squeeze more reps out of it... by rep 8 we were BOTH having trouble lifting the damn bar because I was on a weird angle and couldn't hold the bar properly, I was scared cause a mistake of mine could lead to an accident.

he finished and said thanks, it was cool, but in my mind I was all like... "man, what the fuck was that, that's NOT your weight for those reps, you can hurt your wrists or any involvded muscle part",

I loathe spotting, I hate it, thank God it happens very rarely.

Imm0rt4l

Love this guy! It's like going to a party and pushing two beds together so you can sleep in the crack. Hahahahaha!!! Love it. The dude who takes my equipment after going to the water fountain for 15 seconds hit a little too close to home! I'm about ready to fight when that shit happens to me.

This happens to me at the squat rack a lot. I put my towel ON THE BAR. You don't move someones towel and their weights, that's an act of war.

bruh just got re-posted on raskol instagram, sick.

I was like "I know I've seen that pic somewhere else before..." haha
hahaha

I'm always the mirror guy. I never notice people behind me until I finish and I'm like, "Oh shit!"

Hope you enjoyed my firm backside. Teehee.

Hey fucker get out of the wa.....oh shit he is jacked. Awfukbye

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom