• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hiya Fitness GAF. My apologies if this question has already been asked, but is sweetened/flavored protein shake powder unfavourable - particularly for skinny-fat body types?

sphinx

the piano man
Doubly so because it didn't give you any hand issues!

that's right :)

the pull-up exercise has been my faithful companion through all these hard times, it has never hurt to do them, probably the reason why it's one of the very few exercises were any kind of record has been broken in the last months.

In theory my squats and DLs should have never stopped improving but I got scared and pussied out of the strength train.. my left knee was telling it wasn't all that well so I decided to take it easy.... but I am looking forward to getting above 2 plates again for reps in the coming months

November and December should be good for food and strength.

Someone give me 3 workouts good for a beginner.

Usually I do:

Hanging leg raises
Weighted crunches
Planks

But I hate doing these. There's nothing fun about them. Any tips? Ab roller/wheel? Is hitting them 2x a week too much?
2x a week would be fine. I'd probably dump the crunches if I were you (can you swap them for something like a kneeling cable crunch?)... and I'd consider trying a ready made ab workout from somewhere. I found the Body Beast and P90X2 ab workouts to be particularly vicious (I'm sure you can find a download). The two moves I'd particularly recommend are Russian Twists (or variation thereof) and "Bucket Drops" (these wreck me). Maybe also hip ups / pulse ups.

Other option is getting a slendertone belt. They wont do shit for losing fat over your muscles, but one thing is certain... they do work for actually building the muscles.

Sadly though, the real key as always is being able to lose fat in the right places, which for some of us is a nightmare.

Pakoe

I've always had shitty abs. I'm going to do an experiment. Proper ab work for the next 4 months. It's my new goal as I'm finishing up my cut in a couple of months.

Usually I do:

Hanging leg raises
Weighted crunches
Planks

But I hate doing these. There's nothing fun about them. Any tips? Ab roller/wheel? Is hitting them 2x a week too much?

I know newbie questions but I legit skim over everything I read about ab training.

I hate doing abs as well lol, just push trough. Twice a week is good enough, i hit them three times whenever i feel good about it.
I have a friend who has pretty much no abs, i always told him it was because he has never really hit them. I have no scientific proof to back this up, but i believe it for my self. That's the reason i started doing abs since day one (and i just wanted to have abs when i began training lol)

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
I hate doing abs as well lol, just push trough. Twice a week is good enough, i hit them three times whenever i feel good about it.
I have a friend who has pretty much no abs, i always told him it was because he has never really hit them. I have no scientific proof to back this up, but i believe it for my self. That's the reason i started doing abs since day one (and i just wanted to have abs when i began training lol)

You don't need abdominal isolation if you squat and/or deadlift regularly.

http://www.poliquingroup.com/Tips/t...-Squats-to-Strengthen-the-Abs-Lower-Back.aspx

A recent study compared the activity of the trunk muscles of the erector spinae and rectus abdominis in a variety of exercises. Using a load of 40 kg, electromyographic (EMG) readings were recorded for the front and back squat, and the military press. They were compared to muscle activity during an isometric prone bridge (also known as a plank) and isometric superman on a Swiss ball, both held for 30 seconds.

Results showed the following:

• Spinal erector muscle activity was greatest during the front squat, despite the fact that an empty 40 kg bar was used. Heavier loads will train the lower back muscles to an even greater degree.

• The prone bridge produced the greatest muscle activity in the rectus abdominis, followed by the military press and then the front squat.

• Previous studies show much greater rectus abdominis activity during the back squat using heavier loads in the 70 percent of the 1RM range, indicating that the relationship of muscle activity and exercise type is load dependent.

• It is reasonable to use the front squat with heavy loads to train the rectus abdominis muscle as well. A review of how load, stance, and type of squat influences muscle activity found that a loaded front squat works the rectus abdominis, quadriceps, and erector spinae better than the back squat.

The researchers suggest the dynamic front and back squat and military press exercises are preferable for healthy trainees because they require stabilization of the abdominal and trunk muscles during a multi-joint movement, which is representative of daily living.

The plank and other isometric exercises may be useful in injured or the most deconditioned trainees because they teach them to contract the muscles for stabilization. Beyond that, they are largely useless because the plank and superman are performed in a nonfunctional static position that is rarely replicated in daily life or sports.

sphinx

the piano man
I am way too uninformed to take a stance in the debate BUT...

The plank and other isometric exercises may be useful in injured or the most deconditioned trainees because they teach them to contract the muscles for stabilization. Beyond that, they are largely useless because the plank and superman are performed in a nonfunctional static position that is rarely replicated in daily life or sports.

I agree with this 100%.

from all the things there are in the fitness cosmos, I mean all the random shit you can do in a gym, in my experience, planks and supermans are the biggest, most pointless timewasters.

I just moved into this loft that is above a two-car garage and the entire space is mine. I was thinking about getting back on the fitness wagon. I was running a lot this summer (10-12 miles, six days a week) and it was definitely helping me to get in shape but I've never delved into strength training or any sort of weightlifting.

I've got this unique opportunity with this space below my loft to do something cool with and I was thinking about making a bit of a home gym. I have some money to spend on it, but I wasn't trying to go to crazy. I was hoping to get some guidance on some things that I could buy and a routine that would go along with it.

I just moved into this loft that is above a two-car garage and the entire space is mine. I was thinking about getting back on the fitness wagon. I was running a lot this summer (10-12 miles, six days a week) and it was definitely helping me to get in shape but I've never delved into strength training or any sort of weightlifting.

I've got this unique opportunity with this space below my loft to do something cool with and I was thinking about making a bit of a home gym. I have some money to spend on it, but I wasn't trying to go to crazy. I was hoping to get some guidance on some things that I could buy and a routine that would go along with it.

Honestly, you can get a great workout with a safety cage (aka power rack), a bench, and a barbell with plates. You can usually find used weights on Craigslist for cheap. Just gotta find or build a power rack. You can grab a jump rope, some training gloves, and a punching bag (aka a heavy bag) and you're set.

Routine would be something like that listed in the first post regarding weight training. You can look up basic training for using the punching bag as well, but basically, do three minute "sets" of quick punches/moving around the bag, rest for a minute or two, then a other three minutes. Repeat for whatever feels appropriate (3-5 sets total maybe depending on your intensity and level of fitness).

If you have more time than money, some amazing homemade power rack ideas here: http://www.home-gym-bodybuilding.com/homemade-power-rack.html

Which reminds me. I need to get some wall size mirrors as I really want to be able to keep an eye on my form better.

Edit - Unrelated, I seem to have tweaked something in my shoulder blade whilst doing back day yesterday. Annoying. Hopefully just a minor strain. Did a full hour of stretching / yoga before working out today to try and reduce the chance of making anything worse.

Chocobro

I think the best way to keep an eye on your form is to consistently record yourself doing every lift and lift facing away from the mirror to build your kinesthetic awareness (you need to know how the lift is supposed to feel). I've recorded, edited, and uploaded my lifts to YouTube for every single workout for the last three months.
Lifting in front of the mirror is distracting to me and it only shows the front plane of the lift and you don't know what's happening on your side and rear.

Tried out Adidas and Nike shoes, i'm a size 13 in both. Next time powerlifting shoe deal comes along, I'll be ready.
I'll try to keep an eye out on deals for you.

I've tried recording. I can't get it to work out for me to be honest. I can see something a million times, but unless I can see it and adjust in real time, it's not much use to me.

Covering the angles is easy when you have your own space, I can pretty much position mirrors wherever I need to. However, I do need some better options as right now I only have dressing mirrors.

sphinx

the piano man
I think the best way to keep an eye on your form is to consistently record yourself doing every lift and lift facing away from the mirror to build your kinesthetic awareness (you need to know how the lift is supposed to feel). I've recorded, edited, and uploaded my lifts to YouTube for every single workout for the last three months.
Lifting in front of the mirror is distracting to me and it only shows the front plane of the lift and you don't know what's happening on your side and rear.

the big revelation for me when I was recording my lifts was seeing my feet during squat... holy shit, very unstable, it's something easy to change but it's so easy to get distracted by the weight of the lift that we forget minor, easy things like that.

another thing that I improved thanks to a recording was my ridiculously wide grip on the OHP, Sean and Cudder in this thread made me aware of it and after that, a guy in a gym in spain immediately came to me and said "woah, the grip is way too wide open, are you sure you are doing what you think you are doing?" and I said frankly "no, I am not, I am not sure about the grip, I think closer is more correct but the weight I am lifting, my PRs they are all with a wide grip, can't I just continue like that??"...

to summarize, I got injured and decided it was the perfect moment to get back to the basics and begin from scratch.

recording yourself is good.

Reminds me, I really need to organise some time with a lifting coach. One major disadvantage of having your own setup is you don't get the tips and off hand assistance that people in the gym tend to get. Starting to put up heavier weights now and obviously form is more important than ever.

so yesterday I made a PR.

did 15 pull-ups, unassisted, unweighted, pause between each rep.

I think it was a nice achievement,

I remember when doing 9 was like "OMGWTF, strooong!"

what I do is warm up with four sets of 1,2,3 and 4 reps, just to warm up the body and try to avoid injuries. After that, the first "big" set comes and it's til failure, and then do 3 sets, basically all til failure. last time it went like 15,12,10,8.

I wanted to change my pyramid approach, I wsa doing sets like 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-7-6-5-4-3-2 but I was never able to do a truly, long set to test my actual strength with that move,

my forearms are on absolute fire with the longer sets, they feel like exploding, no wrist flexor curl or similar has given me that pump, cool.

Badass brah. Congrats on the progess and PR.

How does your wrist feel these days btw?

Mr. X

I've always had shitty abs. I'm going to do an experiment. Proper ab work for the next 4 months. It's my new goal as I'm finishing up my cut in a couple of months.

Usually I do:

Hanging leg raises
Weighted crunches
Planks

I know newbie questions but I legit skim over everything I read about ab training.

My abs day involves
Crunches on a decline (sometimes holdings a 25lb plate)
Reverse crunches on the decline
Twist with the 25lb plate on the decline (recently added)
Spider Crawl (in place) http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/spider-crawl
Landmine 180 (recently added) [Q: Should I do spellcasters instead]

I find these to be enjoyable performing and really feel something during and after.

sphinx

the piano man
Badass brah. Congrats on the progess and PR.

How does your wrist feel these days btw?

thanks for asking :)

it's gone, it went away over time... it was a a waste of time going to the doctor, but I thought I was being too irresponsible not taking care of that being someone who has to play the piano for a living every once in a while. I'll be more careful from now on.

you and HisshouBuraiKen commenting about it shows how awesome this community is.

to show that I also pay attention, I will say the following:

a while ago you've showed what is probably the most impressive cut in the 4 OTs that I've been following this community. Respect to that kind of discipline, I wished I had a bit of it. you went from curvy and over 20% BF to badass, lean and defined, many guys look cut and defined but they also live their lives like that, very very few people go from having a round core to straight-up definition everywhere. I was impressed.

and HisshouBuraiken is my L-shaped (legs to the front) Chin-up bro since OT4, lol.

(yeah, I remember extremely precise comments and posts...don't know why)

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Right on dude, I know how it feels to be stuck as I've currently stalled out on my lifts likely due to not eating enough lately. Looking forward to getting over my own wall as well.

Thanks, man. Hope you can surpass your own stall too. We're all gonna make it.

So I wanted to ask. I thought I was eating a lot, but I realized up until a few weeks ago I've been woefully undershooting my protein intake. I'm 156 lbs. currently and if we go by the 1 gram per lbs. of bodyweight rule, I need 156 grams of protein. I can do a decent job of getting my allotted calories but the allotted protein is a bitch and a half. Here's generally what I've been eating every day:

- 4 eggs
- 6 tablespoons of peanut butter
- 32 oz. of milk with protein powder
- two microwavable pizzas or a fried chicken t.v. dinner (with mashed potatoes)
- 4 turkey sandwiches

All that combined while it's over 3,000 calories, it's still around only 130 grams of protein.

I guess I could increase the peanut butter, milk and eggs, but goddamn.

What do you guys eat to keep your protein up?

I'll try to keep an eye out on deals for you.

Yea i need to start recording myself. I rely too much on the mirror especially for deadlift.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Gentlemen, great news! Remember how I was saying just the other day that I could not seem to squat past 150 lbs. for the longest time for whatever reason? Well, I finally broke that barrier today. Squatted 155 lbs. at 3x5. I feel INVINCIBLE.

I think one thing that really helped was that my protein intake has increased quite a bit over the past couple of weeks (been having to buy jars of peanut butter every few days). Additionally I've been stuck at the same weight since March up until a few weeks ago too, so I'm sure that helped. Also, I've been holding my breath and keeping my core tight all throughout, something I haven't been doing before.

Also, my deadlifts have thankfully steadily increased (the only lift that has had constant progression so far). Today I just did 175 lbs. Some of you may recall a few months ago I boasted about doing 195 lbs, but turns out I wasn't doing the proper deadlift (I think it was Romanian or something), so I had to restart doing with the correct form. Looking forward to conquering 200 lbs.!
So I wanted to ask. I thought I was eating a lot, but I realized up until a few weeks ago I've been woefully undershooting my protein intake. I'm 156 lbs. currently and if we go by the 1 gram per lbs. of bodyweight rule, I need 156 grams of protein. I can do a decent job of getting my allotted calories but the allotted protein is a bitch and a half. Here's generally what I've been eating every day:

- 4 eggs
- 4 turkey sandwiches

All that combined while it's over 3,000 calories, it's still around only 130 grams of protein.

Going to be blunt and say that you're focussing on the wrong thing here. Your diet wasn't holding you back from squatting more than 150lbs and actually holding your core tight through the lift would have made much more of a difference than 10 or 20 extra grams of protein. The 1g/lb of bodyweight thing is a rough guide, not a rule: basically if you aim for that amount with a regular diet it means that you definitely wouldn't be getting too little protein and your total calories/macros should be in the right ballpark. Your current diet is fine (as far as macros go) and you don't need more protein. Keep lifting and eating, pay more attention to form/post videos if needed and monitor your progress. You should still be able to progress in weight each session (either 5 or 10lbs for squats and deads, 2.5 or 5 for bench and ohp) but if you stall again there may be something else getting in the way of that.

Thanks, man. Hope you can surpass your own stall too. We're all gonna make it.

- 4 eggs
- 4 turkey sandwiches

Those fried chicken dinners somehow have more carbs and fat than a chicken meal should have. Can you cook chicken by yourself or at least buy chipotle? You can eat more chicken for the protein while keeping about the same calories. Also you could make your sandwiches thicker with more turkey, so instead of eating 4, eat 3 fat sandwiches with more turkey. But yeah, protein is a pain, and to me few foods rich in proteins are tasty without either a decent amount of fat or carbs or both, I don't know what I'm going to do when it's time to cut.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Pulled my rhomboid muscle in my back doing snatch grip high-pulls, but five days of rest now and I'm already near 100%. Just a couple more days and back to the gym!

I get most of my protein from thick slabs of roast chicken breast. Very easy for me to eat 50g of protein worth in a single meal that way (I don't like to go much higher than that in one sitting).

If I'm struggling I tend to break out the Fage (Total) / Protein powder combo. If I'm really struggling then I hit up the protein pudding.

I'm doing ~2.0g kg so thankfully it's not too painful, though I do get sick of eating protein from time to time. It's far worse when I'm cutting and it makes up a much bigger proportion of my total intake. As a general rule these days I'm at about 2400kcal with 150g of protein with no major issues.

I went out on Thursday night with friends, had 2 glasses of wine and simply fainted , first time that it happend to me.
So i missed my friday workout,and i feel so shitty about it. Hopping to have a great workout tonight.

SeanR1221

!!!!!

My wife gave me my birthday gift just now.

3, 1 hour training sessions with Steve Pulcinella at Iron Sport!!!!

I'll be getting deadlift, squat and bench advice directly from Stevie P. How cool is that!?

Roubjon

So I'm going to the gym four days a week and working out my entire body, but I'm also trying to do a low-carb thing in order to lose some body fat. I'm assuming starting the day off with a banana and then having an apple at lunch is too much?

What are some low-carb breakfasts that you don't have to prepare?

CrankyJay

Banned
So I'm going to the gym four days a week and working out my entire body, but I'm also trying to do a low-carb thing in order to lose some body fat. I'm assuming starting the day off with a banana and then having an apple at lunch is too much?

What are some low-carb breakfasts that you don't have to prepare?

Just make some scrambled eggs or something the night before, reheat in microwave.

Szu

!!!!!

My wife gave me my birthday gift just now.

3, 1 hour training sessions with Steve Pulcinella at Iron Sport!!!!

I'll be getting deadlift, squat and bench advice directly from Stevie P. How cool is that!?

Does she even gift?

That's pretty awesome!!!

Szu

Usually I do:

Hanging leg raises
Weighted crunches
Planks

The only other beginner one that comes to mind are seated leg raises. There are many different variations. The following video is just one example. Personally, I only use them for some oblique work.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vE4B4i_uKOQ

Zero2kz

285 deadlift and no back issues. Going to probably increase it by 10 lb every 1-2 weeks. Should be a safe pace.

Also did squats for the first time in months, which is what caused my back issues to begin with. 175 lb squat for reps with no noticeable issues.

Although it is no where near what I used to do, still feels good mang.

Hanging leg raises like Szu said, just focus on using the actual abs and not the hip flexors.

Stomach vacuums can tighten up the deep TVA and pull in your stomach a bit making it look flatter and tighter - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCbf2wqE4Gw

Ab wheels are great for stability & strength but probably not so much for hypertrophy

thanks for asking :)

it's gone, it went away over time... it was a a waste of time going to the doctor, but I thought I was being too irresponsible not taking care of that being someone who has to play the piano for a living every once in a while. I'll be more careful from now on.

you and HisshouBuraiKen commenting about it shows how awesome this community is.

to show that I also pay attention, I will say the following:

a while ago you've showed what is probably the most impressive cut in the 4 OTs that I've been following this community. Respect to that kind of discipline, I wished I had a bit of it. you went from curvy and over 20% BF to badass, lean and defined, many guys look cut and defined but they also live their lives like that, very very few people go from having a round core to straight-up definition everywhere. I was impressed.

and HisshouBuraiken is my L-shaped (legs to the front) Chin-up bro since OT4, lol.

(yeah, I remember extremely precise comments and posts...don't know why)

Thanks, I appreciate it, although I still have a long way to go.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Does the nature of a p/p/l/off/p/p/l routine mean that every week your "off" day will be different?

Matugi

Shitty, shitty day in the gym today. Hip flared up again so I couldn't squat then I struggled to hit 255x5 on bench despite having preciously breezed through 280x3. I'm a little sick and we had a brother's retreat over the weekend so my diet was quite shitty and that's probably the primary reason for this struggle but I'm still pissed, especially since I think I've had a setback with my hip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom