• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

J. Bravo

temporary_zps982104d6.jpg~original

Check these arms out!! Not mine, my best friend tho. I'm going to do arms every other day from now on so I can flex in pictures lol

J. Bravo

Haha idk being dumb. I'm in that picture, they just had to crop me out since I'm technically not supposed to be in that gym for another few weeks. Just for fb purposes. That's just our friend group.

CrankyJay

Banned
Alright, so today is day one of counting cals meticulously...

Just judging from my numbers today and what I've been eating in the last few weeks, I've been at a severe caloric deficit (1600-1800) calories when I should be eating at least 2000...at the very least on lifting days.

I'm hoping this is what has been causing my weight loss stall. Kind of weird, you'd think if you were eating a 1000 cal deficit (or more) every day, the weight would eventually fall off.

Need more data though to know for sure.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
temporary_zps982104d6.jpg~original

Check these arms out!! Not mine, my best friend tho. I'm going to do arms every other day from now on so I can flex in pictures lol
This picture is hilarious on multiple levels. The Zoolander face. The dude in the back acting like he just ripped one. As mentioned, the weird angle that makes his arms appear to be different sizes. It's great

This picture is hilarious on multiple levels. The Zoolander face. The dude in the back acting like he just ripped one. As mentioned, the weird angle that makes his arms appear to be different sizes. It's great

Not to mention it looks like they brought their laptop to a bathroom? Is it a bathroom? And they keep a phone hooked up in there just in case.

EDIT: Booo you both. I was on my phone and it looks like a mirror and counter top you'd see in a bathroom!

Zero2kz

Not to mention it looks like they brought their laptop to a bathroom? Is it a bathroom? And they keep a phone hooked up in there just in case.

It looks like a reception desk. I don't see the bathroom confusion...but I'll roll with it.

I'm hoping this is what has been causing my weight loss stall. Kind of weird, you'd think if you were eating a 1000 cal deficit (or more) every day, the weight would eventually fall off.
The science states that you'll still continue to lose weight even when your metabolism goes down to its lowest levels. The whole "starvation mode" thing is a bit of a myth.

Matugi

So I'm two hours removed from PT today and my hip is on fire. Either hit a nerve or something. No idea. Probably done squatting for awhile again. Gonna keep trying to improve hip mobility. This sucks.

On the bright side, learned that if I decide to compete before my 20th birthday in July I can become a state record holder. Current state record in my age and weight class for bench press is 281.0 lbs. That's not even my 3RM.

Well, I've gone 2 weeks without fizzy drinks. With one exception in which I absolutely spoiled much of it by downing a litre of Sarsaparilla a week into it (I was so desperate, and the price was reduced to £1). But hey, a litre a week is better than what I was doing before!

Is it meant to be this difficult? I have also cut down on sweeties, and it's getting really annoying. I must have an addiction to them and fizzy drinks. I have this constant urge to punch people who eat anything flavourful and sweet. How dare they have nice stuff while I'm trying my hardest to cut down on it.

Fainted? That doesn't sound right at all.

Are you pushing yourself too hard or something?

Dropped like a brick :/ felt dizzy 30 seconds later strangers where picking me up from the floor. I was on call for 2 weeks so didn't get a lot of sleep + some stress.
If it happen again i'm going to the doc.

Workout was awesome today, almost gave up since i left work at 8:30pm , so much energy!

grumble

Well, I've gone 2 weeks without fizzy drinks. With one exception in which I absolutely spoiled much of it by downing a litre of Sarsaparilla a week into it (I was so desperate, and the price was reduced to £1). But hey, a litre a week is better than what I was doing before!

Is it meant to be this difficult? I have also cut down on sweeties, and it's getting really annoying. I must have an addiction to them and fizzy drinks. I have this constant urge to punch people who eat anything flavourful and sweet. How dare they have nice stuff while I'm trying my hardest to cut down on it.

Yeah you are basically in rehab, so wait it out. Make sure to get the new habits into a rock solid routine. That takes at least six weeks. Also don't put yourself in a situation where you have to fight yourself because this change has to be permanent. Aka forever. When you are old and grey and barely even remember being the age you are now, you still need to not have these drinks. Fighting yourself is a losing battle; much like quitting smoking, it's 100% easier if you want to quit, not just feel like you should.

One trick is to change our perspective. These people drinking sweet fizzy pop are NOT lucky. They are unlucky. They are drinking poison because they don't know any better and can't help themselves. When you see them drinking piles of that stuff the appropriate emotion isn't envy, it's pity. Like someone who cuts themselves, or shoots up heroin, or keeps on dating abusive partners because they just can't help it.

Granted not as extreme and it's hard to get into that headspace when your body is screaming for liquid sugar, but think about it and it might help you.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
If anyone's been wondering where I've been, I'm up to running 3 miles now and about ready for a 5k. Weight keeps melting off. I've been the lightest in my life. 6'7", down to 235. Fucking ridiculous. I don't want to stop, either. I lie in bed and feel my bones, and it's so strange and interesting. I was always a meat mountain so it's a completely foreign thing to me.

On the downside, I definitely have lost muscle mass, so that makes me sad. But I will get it back when I'm ready.

It's good in a pinch. With a kid and other responsibilities I need quick access to some protein. I don't have time to cook fresh chicken ahead of time.

Sure you do. You do what most people do and cook when they have time, then reheat the good stuff.

Anything you prepare yourself will be far better than that reformed plastic garbage.

CrankyJay

Banned
Sure you do. You do what most people do and cook when they have time, then reheat the good stuff.

Anything you prepare yourself will be far better than that reformed plastic garbage.

It's a little tiring to hear this...she asked for advice on how to make it turn out better, not whether you thought it was garbage.

It's good in a pinch. With a kid and other responsibilities I need quick access to some protein. I don't have time to cook fresh chicken ahead of time.

I know you aren't asking for recommendations, but something I've found that's helped me with my busy schedule is to make crockpot chicken. I just buy a big bag of frozen, uncookced chicken breasts (2-4 lbs) and dump it into a slow cooker; you can thaw it in the fridge for 24 hours first if you want, but I usually just dump it in frozen. Set the slow cooker to "low" heat, pour in about two jars of your favorite salsa, stir around a bit, then leave it for 5-6 hours. Salsa chicken, boom. Tastes great as-is but also good for Mexican food. I make this up most weeks Sunday morning and then have it ready by Sunday for dinner and for my lunches throughout the week. It definitely keeps thru that Friday.

It's a little tiring to hear this...she asked for advice on how to make it turn out better, not whether you thought it was garbage.

I'm sure they'll be just fine. Nothing wrong with giving people pointers towards other options which would likely end up nicer for them.

You essentially get chicken that's just as quick, but much nicer to eat (which generally helps people stick with their diets / macros).

CrankyJay

Banned
I know you aren't asking for recommendations, but something I've found that's helped me with my busy schedule is to make crockpot chicken. I just buy a big bag of frozen, uncookced chicken breasts (2-4 lbs) and dump it into a slow cooker; you can thaw it in the fridge for 24 hours first if you want, but I usually just dump it in frozen. Set the slow cooker to "low" heat, pour in about two jars of your favorite salsa, stir around a bit, then leave it for 5-6 hours. Salsa chicken, boom. Tastes great as-is but also good for Mexican food. I make this up most weeks Sunday morning and then have it ready by Sunday for dinner and for my lunches throughout the week. It definitely keeps thru that Friday.

When I said "in a pinch" I really meant it. 98% of the time I have no issue making enough to eat during the week. I find in very rare cases like this where I need something quick maybe once a month, this is fine. Of course there are better options...I wouldn't recommend eating this stuff regularly.

Zero2kz

If anyone's been wondering where I've been, I'm up to running 3 miles now and about ready for a 5k. Weight keeps melting off. I've been the lightest in my life. 6'7", down to 235. Fucking ridiculous. I don't want to stop, either. I lie in bed and feel my bones, and it's so strange and interesting. I was always a meat mountain so it's a completely foreign thing to me.

On the downside, I definitely have lost muscle mass, so that makes me sad. But I will get it back when I'm ready.

I remember the day when I actually started to notice my collar and hip bones. Was fat all of my life, so it is just the small things.

And good job with the running. I am thinking I am going to start getting into running more as well. My stamina has gone down a lot from being out of the gym for a few months due to injury. I really need to work cardio back into my routine, but some days I am just too damn lazy.

When I said "in a pinch" I really meant it. 98% of the time I have no issue making enough to eat during the week. I find in very rare cases like this where I need something quick maybe once a month, this is fine. Of course there are better options...I wouldn't recommend eating this stuff regularly.

Ah right, I see. Yeah, my "in a pinch" situations mean I grab a Questbar.

Thanks for all the core tips guys. Maybe I am just overconcerned with having that ripped look and I simply don't have the genetics for a great set of abs. Even really lean they don't show that well.

Anyway. Poultry shears are the most amazing thing ever. It makes cooking large chicken breasts so much easier. Cut down a couple, drop in a pan, season, 20-30 min later put in bowl, douse in hot sauce. Eat. I do this alongside baking some sweet potato fries and my life is amazing.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I really need to buy some sweet potatoes to try some things with them.
Sweet potatoes are so delicious. Savory > sweet all the way. Had the best sweet potato fries I've ever eaten last night. Often just baking one does super well as a sub for a baked potato.

Petrie

Banned
Sweet potatoes are so delicious. Savory > sweet all the way. Had the best sweet potato fries I've ever eaten last night. Often just baking one does super well as a sub for a baked potato.

No. A sweet potato doesn't "sub", it is the vastly superior alternative to shitty plain potatoes.

Pete Rock

Formless shape, shapeless form, one cannot exist without the relationship to the other. Another reason I just grind everything up in a food processor and call it good!

J. Bravo

No. A sweet potato doesn't "sub", it is the vastly superior alternative to shitty plain potatoes.

are they nutritionally superior or just taste wise? if the latter , i agree haha.

and sweet potatoes are slightly more dense carb and calorie wise, so if that's what you're looking for then that's good.

Petrie

Banned
are they nutritionally superior or just taste wise? if the latter , i agree haha.

and sweet potatoes are slightly more dense carb and calorie wise, so if that's what you're looking for then that's good.

Don't give a shit about the slight nutritional difference, they are superior in the delicious way that matters!

CoolOff

Sup Fit-GAF! After posting that I'd started working out again in that thread about beefcake-Bieber, I was told I should join you guys in my effort, so here I am! Guess it can be motivational to sub to the thread.

22 yo, 6ft/145lbs twig that finally pulled myself together after not moving an inch in like 3 years aside from occasionally running to catch a train. Asked in this thread a few days ago about kettlebell-routines, but never got an answer so instead I found this:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLATydd-cwJUWRPLbrq2Xhh7egmXXdUYa-

I've done the first one twice now, I think I'm gonna stick with it for a while to work in techniques etc.

I intend to document in terms of how many rounds + parts of a round I manage, today I reached 3.1 in the 20 minutes, with the goal of increasing by at least 1 exercise per session. I really like the format, getting a decent workout in 30-40 minutes including warm-up and stretching is perfect to me. 3 times a week seems like a good starting point, but honestly I'll try and do it every other day if I can find time and feel fresh again.

TTYL :)

CrankyJay

Banned

Always all or nothing with you, lol

White potatoes won't kill you, and they aren't shitty. They simply offer less nutrition than sweet potatoes, but if you can fit them into your overall calories and macronutrients, they're an okay sub.

http://health.clevelandclinic.org/2013/03/white-potatoes-vs-sweet-potatoes-which-is-healthier/

If you pick white potatoes, just try to go for one with a red skin, and eat them with the skin.

Petrie

Banned
Always all or nothing with you, lol

White potatoes won't kill you, and they aren't shitty. They simply offer less nutrition than sweet potatoes, but if you can fit them into your overall calories and macronutrients, they're an okay sub.

http://health.clevelandclinic.org/2013/03/white-potatoes-vs-sweet-potatoes-which-is-healthier/

If you pick white potatoes, just try to go for one with a red skin, and eat them with the skin.

Cranky Cranky Cranky.

This was a discussion of taste and deliciousness!

My point was not so insult the amazing sweet potato by calling it a sub, because white potatoes are simply less delicious!

I eat white rice too. Because I like it better, and the nutritional difference isn't worth the taste downgrade of brown rice.

J. Bravo

Cranky Cranky Cranky.

My point was not so insult the amazing sweet potato by calling it a sub, because white potatoes are simply less delicious!

I eat white rice too. Because I like it better, and the nutritional difference isn't worth the taste downgrade of brown rice.

brown rice sucks. i get white rice at chipotle and fried rice at panda. i'll be okay at 10% bf, and if i ever actually get my diet in check i'll drop to 7 or 8% relatively easily WHILE EATING WHITE RICE!!

taste > health (generally)

CrankyJay

Banned
Cranky Cranky Cranky.

Word. I'll actually flip back and forth on rice depending on the dish. Sometimes I do prefer the taste and texture of brown rice, depending on what else I'm eating it with.

Speaking of sweet potatoes, there's a sweet potato chili recipe I think someone shared on here last year. Gotta find the recipe again.

Petrie

Banned
brown rice sucks. i get white rice at chipotle and fried rice at panda. i'll be okay at 10% bf, and if i ever actually get my diet in check i'll drop to 7 or 8% relatively easily WHILE EATING WHITE RICE!!

taste > health (generally)

Especially when the 2 items are so darn close anyways. Agreed.

Word. I'll actually flip back and forth on rice depending on the dish. Sometimes I do prefer the taste and texture of brown rice, depending on what else I'm eating it with.

Speaking of sweet potatoes, there's a sweet potato chili recipe I think someone shared on here last year. Gotta find the recipe again.

Once in a while there's something brown rice works with, fish being a good example for me.

demented

Keto question:

as I'm on the cut at the moment and doing keto, my birthday will be during it. Decided not to get big cake or anything but I will probably have a slice or two, can I just make that day carb load day since I'll eat my favorite food which is pretty much deepfried and filled with this dairy thing I don't know name in english and meat in other meat thing omg xD

Yeah, for it would be best not to but hey, 1 day a year right

Get out of here.

White potatoes and white rice are both shit. Nutritionally and in taste in comparison to sweet potatoes and brown rice.

It's all in how you cook things and injecting flavor it to what may seem like a bland food (though anyone who thinks sweet potatoes are bland in any way ESPECIALLY in comparison to white potatoes is crazy in my book).

Boiling brown rice with a couple of chicken breasts is amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom