• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to counter that, I'm mid thirties and I'm only just starting to do it properly. But then I guess I haven't had years of destroying my body yet so maybe I'll be ok for a short while. :D

Matugi

Was able to get my form down a bit better today on squats. Focused on breaking at the knees and then sitting back a little bit. I think the biggest problem before was is that I was losing glute tightness at the bottom which was pulling my pelvis under (the butt wink). I focused on keeping my glutes activated throughout the entire lift and the only tightness I faced was residual from Wednesday.

J. Bravo

My thoughts exactly. Joints and tendons are starting to get hit by age.

When I was 25-26 I could go crazy and recovery times were much faster back then.

#TeamMaintain here I come! LoLz

Thanks bro, keep lifting!

I got a question for you about your deadlift video thats on instagram. I'm very impressed with the weight (205kg/451lbs at edit: 83.5kg/183.7lbs, my bad) and especially at your age. What I'm not impressed with is your form. Is that how you always deadlift? From what I can tell , you are beggin for injuries. Honestly, I'm not hating, just tryna look out for a fellow swole bro. I'd link it but instagram is blocked where I am and I'm using the app on my phone.

Petrie

Banned
New PRs on all my lifts this week on the latest cycle of 5/3/1. Results baby!

Squat: 340lb x 6
Deadlift: 385lb x 6
Bench Press: 260lb x 4
OHP: 180lb x 3

Still not using a belt or any assistance outside of chalk, and I'm stronger than ever. My goal of a 1000lb total Dead/Squat/Bench by years end definitely feels within my reach. Just taking it slow and steady, 5lb more a cycle on each lift.

Definitely time to get some micro plates though. OHP is close to a stall.

Still not using a belt or any assistance outside of chalk, and I'm stronger than ever. My goal of a 1000lb total Dead/Squat/Bench by years end definitely feels within my reach. Just taking it slow and steady, 5lb more a cycle on each lift.

Going for 1,000 lbs total for reps or singles? Seems like you should be more than able to hit 1,000 total using your 1RM.

Petrie

Banned
Going for 1,000 lbs total for reps or singles? Seems like you should be more than able to hit 1,000 total using your 1RM.

I definitely "should" be able to, but am still trying to just get there naturally, and as long as I continue to just go up 5 lbs per cycle, I'll be at 1000 total next month. I'm sure I could do it now if I wanted. Just a mental goal for myself tough, not some "must get there asap let's go!" type thing.

Hoping I can do it all for at least 3 reps too.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement

So yeah... You're already at 1,000 big guy. With those weights at these reps I'd say you're at 1050 or so doing singles.

Also, get yourself a quality belt and chalk. Your DL will instantly shoot up 30 or 40 pounds is my guess. Possibly your squat too. It makes that big of a difference for me.

Petrie

Banned
So yeah... You're already at 1,000 big guy. With those weights at this reps I'd say you're at 1050 or so doing singles.

Also, get yourself a quality belt and chalk. Your DL will instantly shoot up 30 or 40 pounds is my guess. Possibly your squat too. It makes that big of a difference for me.

I have a belt and I used it for a good while, then I did a reset for form and stopped using the belt. Now I'm working my way as high as I can without the belt again, before I add it back in for even more gains. I'm already now past my previous numbers when I was using the belt before.

I have no issue with using a belt for sure, I just figure it's beneficial to get as strong as I can without it first, then add it in once I plateau.

Do you guys think that's not the case?

Cooter

I have a belt and I used it for a good while, then I did a reset for form and stopped using the belt. Now I'm working my way as high as I can without the belt again, before I add it back in for even more gains. I'm already now past my previous numbers when I was using the belt before.

I have no issue with using a belt for sure, I just figure it's beneficial to get as strong as I can without it first, then add it in once I plateau.

Do you guys think that's not the case?

If you don't feel you need it then don't use it. I feel it helps me stay tight which helps my form. It's more of a safety thing for me. I only use my belt and chalk for DL sets over 405 because that's when I feel I need it for my own piece of mind and confidence. Sounds like you have a good handle on things. I say keep going as you are.

Petrie

Banned
If you don't feel you need it then don't use it. I feel it helps me stay tight which helps my form. It's more of a safety thing for me. I only use my belt and chalk for DL sets over 405 because that's when I feel I need it for my own piece of mind and confidence. Sounds like you have a good handle on things. I say keep going as you are.

I definitely need chalk sooner, but I still feel like I can get a few more cycles before considering the belt. I appreciate the advice though very much, and my belt is sitting in the trunk waiting to make an appearance again as soon as the gains stall.

Can't wait!

ILoveBish

Just to counter that, I'm mid thirties and I'm only just starting to do it properly. But then I guess I haven't had years of destroying my body yet so maybe I'll be ok for a short while. :D

Same for me. I'm 36 but recover pretty quick for my age and joints don't hurt much. I was extremely inactive before the lifestyle change.

Cooter

I definitely need chalk sooner, but I still feel like I can get a few more cycles before considering the belt. I appreciate the advice though very much, and my belt is sitting in the trunk waiting to make an appearance again as soon as the gains stall.

Can't wait!
Anytime man. Us FitGAF vets have to stick together! You're already strong as shit. You are rapidly approaching team maintain territory!

Petrie

Banned
Anytime man. Us FitGAF vets have to stick together! You're already strong as shit. You are rapidly approaching team maintain territory!

No way, I'm approaching team cut all this fat territory! All these gains have come with the price of being up to like 210lbs, when at my leanest I was around 180. I'm sure I won't need to hit 180 again to look that way, but I definitely look a bit too "soft", just can't resist these strength gains!

One day I will achieve Cooter levels though. It's coming!

Cooter

No way, I'm approaching team cut all this fat territory! All these gains have come with the price of being up to like 210lbs, when at my leanest I was around 180. I'm sure I won't need to hit 180 again to look that way, but I definitely look a bit too "soft", just can't resist these strength gains!

One day I will achieve Cooter levels though. It's coming!
:) ha I have zero doubt. It's coming soon. In 2 years I predict you will be at a point where most of your goals will have been achieved. Then you will start adding your favorite exercise, leg press, to your routine!!

CrankyJay

Banned
Then you will start adding your favorite exercise, leg press, to your routine!!

lol

2aaa61aac9f76cfdf5bcdb3ccf3a7238.jpg

Petrie

Banned
:) ha I have zero doubt. It's coming soon. In 2 years I predict you will be at a point where most of your goals will have been achieved. Then you will start adding your favorite exercise, leg press, to your routine!!

I hope I eventually get to a Cooter like place where I have to come up with new goals because I have everything I ever wanted!

Well done.

Truly well done.

I don't hate the leg press, it's just a dangerous lift to do with a heavy load like most do it, so having a solid leg press session just doesn't seem feasible under safe circumstances.

Cooter

I hope I eventually get to a Cooter like place where I have to come up with new goals because I have everything I ever wanted!

Well done.

Truly well done.

I don't hate the leg press, it's just a dangerous lift to do with a heavy load like most do it, so having a solid leg press session just doesn't seem feasible under safe circumstances.
Fitness wise you are close with those numbers. There is just so much weight one can lift naturally with a 5'10 175lb frame. Throw in my age and it's not so much that I've hit every single goal (there is 1 more I have ;-)) but that I physically don't have it in me unless I want to go on a 2 year bulking quest for gains.

I like my leg press routine after heavy squats. Really finishes the day for me.

4 plates (each side)x15
5x12
6x10
7x8
8x6

I've never particularly felt unsafe. It kills my ass and hammies too with a high foot position.

Petrie

Banned
Fitness wise you are close with those numbers. There is just so much weight one can lift naturally with a 5'10 175lb frame. Throw in my age and it's not so much that I've hit every single goal (there is 1 more I have ;-)) but that I physically don't have it in me unless I want to go on a 2 year bulking quest for gains.

I like my leg press routine after heavy squats. Really finishes the day for me.

4 plates (each side)x15
5x12
6x10
7x8
8x6

I've never particularly felt unsafe. It kills my ass and hammies too with a high foot position.

That's probably not too much weight for you. But you're a beast.

You're right that things will surely slow for me soon. We have a similar frame so unless I want to do nothing but eat and get huge, a slowdown has to be coming.

Wouldn't mind cutting down and just maintaining eventually though.

SeanR1221

Big props on the numbers. You're definitely in the 1k club for your 1rm

Munin

Question for squatters, I've been at lifting on and off for a couple years and squats have always been my biggest problem. I have a flat back and flat feet and thinking it could be related to that. I'm quite conscious of what constitutes good form though. However I yesterday looked at myself squatting in the mirror (without any bar or weights) and noticed that as soon as I go below parallel, my butt pretty much rotates inward (towards my calves). Is this normal anatomical behavior or could it be a hint at a mobility problem?

sphinx

the piano man
so yesterday I made a PR.

did 15 pull-ups, unassisted, unweighted, pause between each rep.

I think it was a nice achievement,

I remember when doing 9 was like "OMGWTF, strooong!"

what I do is warm up with four sets of 1,2,3 and 4 reps, just to warm up the body and try to avoid injuries. After that, the first "big" set comes and it's til failure, and then do 3 sets, basically all til failure. last time it went like 15,12,10,8.

I wanted to change my pyramid approach, I wsa doing sets like 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-7-6-5-4-3-2 but I was never able to do a truly, long set to test my actual strength with that move,

my forearms are on absolute fire with the longer sets, they feel like exploding, no wrist flexor curl or similar has given me that pump, cool.

Cudder

weighed in at 238lbs this morning. heaviest i've ever been. this is also my second week off in a row from the gym. getting back to it monday.

Faiz

Just caught my 2 year old with a 2.5 lb plate lifting it over his head counting reps... Which scared the fuck out of me because even a 2.5 lb plate if dropped on his head would really hurt him.

But at the same time... Whoah! Already having an influence on his perspective towards training is amazing. Here's hoping he grows up with a better attitude than mine.

Gonna have to be better about restricting his access to that area of the house though...

Also, knee is much better. Skipping deadlift day the right choice.

ILoveBish

So glad I decided to hit the gym tonight, I felt really strong but also insanely tired. Ate a small meal, had my coconut oil coffee and had a badass workout. Got 235 on bench for a double and a single. After I failed the 4th rep I just moved on, i'm sure I had more reps in me, but right now it's just fat loss that matters.

Anyone know a particularly good way to work on the forearms? Unfortunately I have tiny, tiny wrists so I need a bit of size there to stop my arms looking utterly ridiculous.

Also, I know it's impossible to increase wrist size, but is it possible to increase wrist strength? On some lifts I'm starting to wonder if support there would be a good idea. I do grip strength exercises, but I'm not sure it's the same thing.

grumble

Question for squatters, I've been at lifting on and off for a couple years and squats have always been my biggest problem. I have a flat back and flat feet and thinking it could be related to that. I'm quite conscious of what constitutes good form though. However I yesterday looked at myself squatting in the mirror (without any bar or weights) and noticed that as soon as I go below parallel, my butt pretty much rotates inward (towards my calves). Is this normal anatomical behavior or could it be a hint at a mobility problem?

Not normal, not necessarily mobility. It's a form issue. First you should feel what an extended back feels like. Do a set of ten supermans before you squat next. Second, widen your stance slightly and shove your knees out as you descend. This is the for both high ad low bar squats.

Anyone know a particularly good way to work on the forearms? Unfortunately I have tiny, tiny wrists so I need a bit of size there to stop my arms looking utterly ridiculous.

Also, I know it's impossible to increase wrist size, but is it possible to increase wrist strength? On some lifts I'm starting to wonder if support there would be a good idea. I do grip strength exercises, but I'm not sure it's the same thing.

My wrists are very danty, I hate it, I have tried wrist strength exercise, they do increase strength not size. I feel like they is a not much strength you can gain with your wrist's though.

Also, I have learned my legs are long considered my arm length. Bodies are built weird.

Sadetar

Shit just got real up in this biatch!! If you can post an underwear pic so can I! Now I just have to get the balls to do it. Massive upper body holders FE. Second only to Quadzilla!
My oh my! I am still in UK and just quickly popping in and it seems I came to check this on a perfect moment. ;)

You so can share an underwear pic as well! It would be like Christmas for me. :p

Also looking awesome FE!

Cooter

My oh my! I am still in UK and just quickly popping in and it seems I came to check this on a perfect moment. ;)

You so can share an underwear pic as well! It would be like Christmas for me. :p

Also looking awesome FE!
You're too much. Haha! I'm not really all too comfortable sharing underwear pics but it's really the only way to display your legs. I want to show people you don't need massive tree trunks to move respectable weight. For some reason my legs don't grow as much as other body parts of mine.

I'll snap something tomorrow if I get a chance.

My upper legs are pretty much the only place I could compete with any of you guys... but I have ridiculous "skipped leg day" lower legs. Fuck genetics.

demented

So the butcher shop close to me besides selling great meat can also cook it for you, on the grill which is great because I don't have one home and would have to just boil it.
I was thinking about buying like 5-10 kilos to last me for half of month (eating 400 grams a day) but the amount depends on how long can I actually keep it? In the fridge will it go bad after like 3-4 days? Can I just freeze it in the freezer and then heat it up, and for how long? Would prefer this then going there every few days or buying raw, maybe I get discount on larger quantity too.

Visceir

Finished up week 3 of Smolov jr. bench press program today. During the first week it felt like I had set the weights too high for myself, week 2 seemed super easy and on week3 everything was very managable as well. I got slightly tired of the constant benching though.

Rather curious to see how much it improved my bench press.

So the butcher shop close to me besides selling great meat can also cook it for you, on the grill which is great because I don't have one home and would have to just boil it.
I was thinking about buying like 5-10 kilos to last me for half of month (eating 400 grams a day) but the amount depends on how long can I actually keep it? In the fridge will it go bad after like 3-4 days? Can I just freeze it in the freezer and then heat it up, and for how long? Would prefer this then going there every few days or buying raw, maybe I get discount on larger quantity too.

Why not just go there on a daily basis? Whatever extra you'd be paying would be worth it to me to eat freshly grilled meat rather than something that has been sitting in the fridge for a few days.

demented

Laziness and hate waiting combined. It is on my way to the gym tho (walking distance) so not like I can't do it xD
But as I don't go to the gym daily I'd still need to buy for at least 2 days.

(eating 400 grams a day)

Please tell me that's 400g of meat and not protein!

As for storage, cooked meat will probably last three days. You can freeze it for however long you want (within reason) then defrost and reheat, but it wont taste as good as it would have originally.

demented

Yeah aware of taste, but as I'm not putting anything on it oh well, won't taste anything special either way. And yes 400g of chicken breasts. Gonna start a hardcore cut on Monday for 6 weeks so we shall see how it goes. Bros that did it lost 10kg in 25 days, other one did 11 cm waist size in 3 weeks... And that's not all my protein for the day of course, just part of 2 meals, there's eggs, tuna, nuts, salad, whey etc

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Strict diet of pizza and milk today.

Did some walking lunges again (constant lunging, no standing straight after a rep shit) 65/75/85/90s x16 and the last set almost killed me lol, was out of breath and seeing stars. Legs get a crazy pump from doing them and they're back to 28" cold @~200. Probably move to 95/100s next week as it wasn't taxing on my legs and going to wear straps as it kills the grip for any other work afterwards :(

Also trying to move my 20 rep squat up right now (345x20 this week) seeing as heavy weight squats are out of the question until I get easy stuff to do at work. If I can get 365-375 I'll record it.

I've always had shitty abs. I'm going to do an experiment. Proper ab work for the next 4 months. It's my new goal as I'm finishing up my cut in a couple of months.

Someone give me 3 workouts good for a beginner.

Usually I do:

Hanging leg raises
Weighted crunches
Planks

But I hate doing these. There's nothing fun about them. Any tips? Ab roller/wheel? Is hitting them 2x a week too much?

I know newbie questions but I legit skim over everything I read about ab training.

jond76

Banned
Figured this would be the best place for this since there is no dedicated fitness tracker thread. Anyway, this one is called Atlas, and it uses motion to track specific exercises. It's pretty magical..

https://www.atlaswearables.com/

There's a POV video on the blog section showing the band automatically recognize and track different exercises. I'm excited to get mine.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Gentlemen, great news! Remember how I was saying just the other day that I could not seem to squat past 150 lbs. for the longest time for whatever reason? Well, I finally broke that barrier today. Squatted 155 lbs. at 3x5. I feel INVINCIBLE.

I think one thing that really helped was that my protein intake has increased quite a bit over the past couple of weeks (been having to buy jars of peanut butter every few days). Additionally I've been stuck at the same weight since March up until a few weeks ago too, so I'm sure that helped. Also, I've been holding my breath and keeping my core tight all throughout, something I haven't been doing before.

Also, my deadlifts have thankfully steadily increased (the only lift that has had constant progression so far). Today I just did 175 lbs. Some of you may recall a few months ago I boasted about doing 195 lbs, but turns out I wasn't doing the proper deadlift (I think it was Romanian or something), so I had to restart doing with the correct form. Looking forward to conquering 200 lbs.!

Wolfe

Right on dude, I know how it feels to be stuck as I've currently stalled out on my lifts likely due to not eating enough lately. Looking forward to getting over my own wall as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom