• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get out of here.

White potatoes and white rice are both shit. Nutritionally and in taste in comparison to sweet potatoes and brown rice.

It's all in how you cook things and injecting flavor it to what may seem like a bland food (though anyone who thinks sweet potatoes are bland in any way ESPECIALLY in comparison to white potatoes is crazy in my book).

Boiling brown rice with a couple of chicken breasts is amazing.

brown rice can stick it, taste terrible

white rice for life

i like both sweet potatoes and regular potatoes

The only good grain of rice is the one that's on my plate. Ditto with baked potatoes. I'll eat 'em all and not think twice.

Make the white vs brown rice OT Vince.

This is probably why my friends never have dinner at my place. I only serve stuff like brown rice, chicken breasts, sweet potatoes, broccoli, and oatmeal pancakes.

Their loss. It's all delicious.

Petrie

Banned
do it nerd, just don't be upset when the world accepts steamed white rice as its lord and savior

Sticky white rice owns all rice.

This is probably why my friends never have dinner at my place. I only serve stuff like brown rice, chicken breasts, sweet potatoes, broccoli, and oatmeal pancakes.

Their loss. It's all delicious.

I'm coming over for dinner. I'll choke down the inferior brown rice with you.

CrankyJay

Banned
Sticky white rice owns all rice.

fuck yes...

i used to buy that shitty ass long grain white rice from wegmans...

but if you go into their asian section you can buy sticky rice or the sushi rice (Nishiki brand) which is a short/medium grain rice.

Makes beautiful white rice that is sticky.

Petrie

Banned
fuck yes...

i used to buy that shitty ass long grain white rice from wegmans...

but if you go into their asian section you can buy sticky rice or the sushi rice (Nishiki brand) which is a short/medium grain rice.

Makes beautiful white rice that is sticky.

Wegmans has so many white rice variants that if you don't pay attention, you can definitely be led astray.

Glad you got it figured out though!

CrankyJay

Banned
Even microwavable sweet potatoes aren't dry.

Careful, the diet police will jump on you for buying pre-packaged sweet potatoes. If you aren't hand selecting yours from some farmstand in the middle of nowhere, and aren't roasting the potatoes yourself in an oven you're doing it wrong and your diet will be disqualified.

=)

Zero2kz

Careful, the diet police will jump on you for buying pre-packaged sweet potatoes. If you aren't hand selecting yours from some farmstand in the middle of nowhere, and aren't roasting the potatoes yourself in an oven you're doing it wrong and your diet will be disqualified.

=)

Ok...I will hand pick my sweet potatoes and wrap it in plastic wrap and microwave it.

If I want a sweet potato now, I AINT SPENDING THE TIME BAKING OR ROASTING IT.

lol

white rice can eat shit. we're gonna make a goddamn topic in OT about it now.

Basmati motherfucker, the king of rice.

BRING IT.

On the subject of white potatoes, to be honest most people have never tried good potatoes simply because they're not sold in 99.9% of shops. I grow my own in large grow bags and some of the ones I've tried have been full on mouthgasms. I even managed to impress an Irish woman who said one sort was the best she'd ever tried.

??? When I bake my sweet potatoes they pretty much are so moist that they melt in my mouth when I eat them. It's almost the consistency of sweet potato pie and tastes the same too, minus the added sweetness.

ILoveBish

What is going on in here brahs, what's with all the carb talk, I've never!

If anyone's been wondering where I've been, I'm up to running 3 miles now and about ready for a 5k. Weight keeps melting off. I've been the lightest in my life. 6'7", down to 235. Fucking ridiculous. I don't want to stop, either. I lie in bed and feel my bones, and it's so strange and interesting. I was always a meat mountain so it's a completely foreign thing to me.

On the downside, I definitely have lost muscle mass, so that makes me sad. But I will get it back when I'm ready.

This is amazing news (other then the muscle loss). Very happy for you. I've also been able to feel bones for the first time in my life in my hips. It's incredible.

Keto question:

as I'm on the cut at the moment and doing keto, my birthday will be during it. Decided not to get big cake or anything but I will probably have a slice or two, can I just make that day carb load day since I'll eat my favorite food which is pretty much deepfried and filled with this dairy thing I don't know name in english and meat in other meat thing omg xD

Yeah, for it would be best not to but hey, 1 day a year right

You want to carb up for your bday, do it. I never deprive myself of anything. If I feel like eating something, I go and eat it then I'm back on keto. Doing this really makes life a lot easier and I honestly never crave anything anymore. Also, if you want to make a low carb cake, this is my go to recipe here:

http://healthylivinghowto.com/1/post/2013/05/healthy-recipe-double-mocha-cake.html

I make it without the frosting as one big cake. It is incredible.

I'm going to get my missus to bake that (she's an expert at that sort of thing, I'm more a general cook)... I will report back!

On the subject of cooking, this is my meal for tonight: http://www.ruled.me/coffee-wine-beef-stew/

coffeewinestew.jpg

I'm just waiting for it to thicken up before tucking in.

Sup Fit-GAF! After posting that I'd started working out again in that thread about beefcake-Bieber, I was told I should join you guys in my effort, so here I am! Guess it can be motivational to sub to the thread.

22 yo, 6ft/145lbs twig that finally pulled myself together after not moving an inch in like 3 years aside from occasionally running to catch a train. Asked in this thread a few days ago about kettlebell-routines, but never got an answer so instead I found this:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLATydd-cwJUWRPLbrq2Xhh7egmXXdUYa-

I've done the first one twice now, I think I'm gonna stick with it for a while to work in techniques etc.

I intend to document in terms of how many rounds + parts of a round I manage, today I reached 3.1 in the 20 minutes, with the goal of increasing by at least 1 exercise per session. I really like the format, getting a decent workout in 30-40 minutes including warm-up and stretching is perfect to me. 3 times a week seems like a good starting point, but honestly I'll try and do it every other day if I can find time and feel fresh again.

TTYL :)

Welcome to FitGAF. I don't think many of us use kettleballs, so it's not that we're ignoring you outright, but we just don't have much to contribute in that regard. I hope the routine works out well for you and wish you good luck. If I'm understanding you right, you're going as fast as you can to try and get more sets done per your 20 minute time limit. Are you actually making each rep faster and faster to do this, or just taking shorter rests between sets?

CoolOff

Welcome to FitGAF. I don't think many of us use kettleballs, so it's not that we're ignoring you outright, but we just don't have much to contribute in that regard. I hope the routine works out well for you and wish you good luck. If I'm understanding you right, you're going as fast as you can to try and get more sets done per your 20 minute time limit. Are you actually making each rep faster and faster to do this, or just taking shorter rests between sets?

Yeah, that's the idea. I think the later routines are longer though, and 2x15 or something. At the moment I need quite a bit of rest towards the end of the set, especially with the push-ups (I can't even do the full x10 in one go come the second and third round) so the primary progress will be to it with as little rest as possible I guess. But it's not like I'm rushing through it to get as many done as possible.

Another step will be to use my heavier kettlebell exclusively, at the moment I'm using one that's half it's weight (13lbs/26lbs) for the one-handed exercises.

Zero2kz

My friend and I would occasionally do some kettle bell exercises to end out our workouts. Primarily arm swings and snatches. We would often just do sets of 20-25 until our bodies failed us. Great stamina booster.

Unfortunately he started training for running marathons, so he doesn't lift as much. So now I am lone wolfing it. New guy started at my office a week back who I knew used to work at the rec center at the college I went to. And he is massive. Maybe he is looking for a swoll bro.

Zero2kz

I just need to get some Red Wine and some Stew Meat and I have everything in that recipe. Might do that this weekend. Thanks.

I'm thinking about getting turkey sausages for another source of protein. Is there any specifics i should look for? Around how many grams of fat should i look for in them? What would be too much?

CrankyJay

Banned
I'm thinking about getting turkey sausages for another source of protein. Is there any specifics i should look for? Around how many grams of fat should i look for in them? What would be too much?

If you're craving sausage, have pork sausage, but less of it, or save it for a cheat day. Personally I hate to see someone settle for a weird version of something. Take turkey bacon for example. Its highly processed. Anyone who can trick themselves into thinking they enjoy turkey bacon is either a liar or has a few screws loose.

If you're craving sausage, have pork sausage, but less of it, or save it for a cheat day. Personally I hate to see someone settle for a weird version of something. Take turkey bacon for example. Its highly processed. Anyone who can trick themselves into thinking they enjoy turkey bacon is either a liar or has a few screws loose.

* cough * Diet Police * cough *

:D

He didn't ask for a replacement, he asked for advice on turkey sausages. :p

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Failed with 355, only got 15 reps :( finished off the other 5 with 315. Will try again next week and only go up 5lbs from now.on...

I actually do enjoy turkey bacon. As for the turkey sausage i wanted something else since i am bored of chicken breast. Something i can eat practically everyday though. Is that not a good idea then? I usually see it recommended.

Zero2kz

I had some alligator sausage a few days ago, served with some grits and other shit.

It was amazing.

(And I think Alligator Sausage is one of the lowest fat content for sausage)

Pinewood

Got denied out of the uni gym today, apparently I showed up too late for the classes, as they close the gates 20 min after the classes start (I learned this today).

It would have been ok if it hadn't been 10:19 according to my phone and 10:17 according to their clock. And even then I wouldn't have been the last one out of gym. I may have gotten in if I had thrown a fit but I decided against. The shitty thing is that I won't go to gym on friday either (important gig, I don't want my muscles to act against me) and I have missed a few fays in the past weeks as well.

I haven't done squats in weeks as my left hip gets painful when I get down, I hope I can get it sorted out soon. Been still doing deadlifts though.

Since Im completely oblivious to most lifts, are barbell shrugs a rotary movement or a simple up-down with your shoulders? I don't do them, but I've seen people do and am just wondering what is the correct technique.

I actually do enjoy turkey bacon. As for the turkey sausage i wanted something else since i am bored of chicken breast. Something i can eat practically everyday though. Is that not a good idea then? I usually see it recommended.

It's fine. Most people don't really like it though.

I quite like using turkey mince in my chilli, a lot of people would spit in your face if you fed them that.

I had some alligator sausage a few days ago, served with some grits and other shit.

It was amazing.

I had alligator steak recently. I was surprised at how much I liked it.

Petrie

Banned
I got you...

Knew you'd reply to this. The crap I eat is "in a pinch", this is something he wants to eat regularly. So nyah nyah!

jk

Turkey bacon sucks. Turkey sausage I enjoy regularly on its own, whereas real sausage I need to have on a biscuit or as part of something I try not to eat regularly.

CrankyJay

Banned
Turkey bacon sucks. Turkey sausage I enjoy regularly on its own, whereas real sausage I need to have on a biscuit or as part of something I try not to eat regularly.

if the turkey sausage is fresh made, i have no issue with it...and they'll probably be stuffing that with with pork fat anyways.

it's kind of the store bought stuff that has the consistency of a hotdog i wouldn't really eat regularly.

a local store here actually makes some great chicken sausage from scratch.

speaking of bacon...this has been a goto dish for me lately...

sauteed kale with onion, garlic, and bacon

20qvSxW.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom