• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chocobro

Overhead press got my back aching yesterday but deadlifts fixed that today. Any tips on maintaining a neutral spine during the press?
Just remember to activate your glutes (squeeze and clench your butt cheeks) and valsavla maneuver throughout the OHP. Forgetting to do these might result in you hyperextending your lower back.

Leeness

Yep. It is actually starting to feel better. I went light on Romanian deadlifts on Tuesday and that seemed to help a lot.

Also today was a splendid day at the gym! Hahah, I don't know how many of you remember me mentioning Epic Beast and goblet squats some time back, but I actually today talked to the Beast again for like 20 minutes or so. He was extremely friendly and checked my squats and Romanian deadlifts. He gave me couple nice tips to keep the form right and also complimented that my squats seemed so much better compared to the last time I talked to him. I had this stupid smile for the rest of the gym for the compliments and totally new motivation to do those since I now know again better that what I should be paying attention to form wise.

Glad you're feeling better. Hopefully completely now?

Glad that epic beast guy is back and helping you perfect your form too! Haha. That's great. :D

ILoveBish

Heading in for bench tonight, looking forward to it. Had some incredibly good sleep this weekend and feel pretty strong.

Oh yeah. So I'm moving to the Anaheim area soon for work stuff, and I was checking out some of the gyms in the area. I was surprised at the lack of squat/power racks. I first tried out Planet Fitness. I know this one has an interesting reputation, but I wanted to check it out. I noticed there were a lot of smith machines and no power racks. Not too surprising, I guess. I had heard PF sometimes doesn't have those. I then check out this other gym I've never heard of called Chuze. It was a really nice gym, and they even have like a movie theatre area where you can do cardio in a dim room while watching a movie on a big screen. :p Anyway, this one also had a bunch of smith machines and no power racks or squat racks. She said it was for safety reasons. I then checked out 24 Hour Fitness. This one had a few smiths too, but I think i saw only one squat rack. Man, why are smith machines so popular in that area. Now, I don't really know which one to choose. 24 Hour has the squat rack, but it was like 3x the price as the other gyms even though it looked a little older. :/

Welcome to my hood. The gyms here suck generally, the ones with all the power cages tend to be crossfit gyms which cost a house payment to join. I stick with 24 hour fitness, you can get a 2 year from costco that comes out to 15 a month, no sign up fee. I'm on my 2nd one. Most 24's have 1 single cage, and 1 rack (sometimes they are the bad racks that dont even have the side rail). Its pretty shoddy, and the plates are the hex ones which are a nightmare for deadlifting. But it is what it is. Until i buy my own place and do my own setup, this is how it has to be. This is why i have to go work out at 1-3am, since going any other time, im never guaranteed cage access. Even at those hours, i've had to sit and wait for a cage or rack to open.

p.s. - if you take my cage when im at the gym i will overhead press you. j/k. maybe.

You mean this disgusting mountain of delicious?

Real talk, that pic does nothing for me, and i'm glad for that.

Beast Mode (copyright of the nintendo fans from mediacreate thread). Very impressive.

You know the only thing that sucks about maintaining with a cheat day every week? It never fails that the day of your cheat day you wake up and look in the mirror to see something you're happy with. It's always the day of your cheat. I woke up today and had a Grand Canyon like crater running down my stomach with my abs seemingly popping out more than I've noticed in a while. Awesome! Now let's get rid of it and see if we can get it back for 3 or 4 hours next Sunday! Haha

I'll be honest, after being very strict for over 2 months, i decided to have a cheat day and carb up. Bad decision. I ended up throwing up 4 times, felt like i was going to die, and lost all energy. In a way i am glad it happened, now i'm just so glad to be back to eating clean that nothing is going to touch my resolve anymore. Going to not carb up anymore from here on out if i can help it. I want to hit 10-12% BF and keep it there for as long as possible. The dedication is there, just going to need to do the time. Love that you've got your results you wanted and can maintain, so few people can ever do that in life.

Whats the best way to work your core? Just pure crunches and plank? Need to tighten up this loosey goosey stomach.

Want to tighten up stomach fat? Then you need to look here:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=869633

Fat loss = diet. Thats all there is to it. No amount of working out and doing ab work is going to do it, you need to get your diet in order.

After only a week into my lifting career, I got slammed with what I think is food poisoning, and I've been lying in the pathway between my bed and my bathroom all weekend. I think I lost about 8 lbs in the process too. I might go back to the gym today if I continue improving, and if so I'll be sure to take it easy on my weights.

The worst thing is that the assault on my body began about 5 minutes after eating a Quest Bar. I don't think that bar was the culprit, because it was way too soon for it to give me food poisoning. If anything, its possible that some enzymes that got worked up by chewing the thing started me up, IDK. But now I'm wondering if I'll be able to look at a bar again without getting queasy.

Whats the best way to work your core? Just pure crunches and plank? Need to tighten up this loosey goosey stomach.

The only core-specific work I do is hanging leg raises once a week... mostly just because I enjoy them. Otherwise, I just do squats, deadlifts, etc. and am sure to engage my core during each.

rezuth

Then do the big lifts, and do them heavy.

Big lifts is already in there but I was just wondering if there was something to switch up with once in a while and maybe focus it better.

The only core-specific work I do is hanging leg raises once a week... mostly just because I enjoy them. Otherwise, I just do squats, deadlifts, etc. and am sure to engage my core during each.

Might try hanging leg raises next time, thanks for the suggestion. I was just checking up on it a bit and some people mentioned plank and twisting crunch etc

ILoveBish

Hit the gym and had such a great time. I was really tired but went anyway, got 250 for 2 singles on bench. I likely had a few more in me, but just did my accessories instead. So hyped for squats.

Petrie

Banned
Add in front squatting and get an ab roller.

Also, doing strongman style training has hit my core more than anything, ever.

I should get back to doing front squats, I've been doing zero assistance stuff for legs and instead just trying to get my squats as heavy as possible.

Now that I've hit my current goal though I'm down to alter my training a bit.

I always forget I have an ab roller.

J. Bravo

After only a week into my lifting career, I got slammed with what I think is food poisoning, and I've been lying in the pathway between my bed and my bathroom all weekend. I think I lost about 8 lbs in the process too. I might go back to the gym today if I continue improving, and if so I'll be sure to take it easy on my weights.

The worst thing is that the assault on my body began about 5 minutes after eating a Quest Bar. I don't think that bar was the culprit, because it was way too soon for it to give me food poisoning. If anything, its possible that some enzymes that got worked up by chewing the thing started me up, IDK. But now I'm wondering if I'll be able to look at a bar again without getting queasy.

wow man. before you go back make sure you are well hydrated. if it was me i would wait a full day with no puking or diarrhea before lifting again. otherwise i'd have a shitty workout.

but damn, i just want these crossfit goons to email me back with a free week pass. i'm willing to pay the $90/month, just hit me up fuckboys!

Pyrokai

Don't feel too bad. I had my wisdom tooth removed, then got sick with the flu about 5 days later. I think I lost about 5lbs. Wasn't cool at all :(

Guys, I worked my legs real hard yesterday and today I have a sharp, shooting pain in the bottom of my left foot when I stand on it. I even have to limp.....is this normal or should I be concerned?

Might try hanging leg raises next time, thanks for the suggestion. I was just checking up on it a bit and some people mentioned plank and twisting crunch etc

I should add, be mindful of your form for leg raises. Seems simple enough, but whether your legs are fully extended or bent at the kness will affect the difficulty. Also, if you use your momentum and "swing" your legs back and forth it'll be significantly easier. Focus on raising them slowly, pausing at the top, lowering them slowly, pausing at the bottom to kill your momentum, then re-raising them.

I should get back to doing front squats, I've been doing zero assistance stuff for legs and instead just trying to get my squats as heavy as possible.

Now that I've hit my current goal though I'm down to alter my training a bit.

I've been running front squats for about 4-5 months now. I love them. I actually think I enjoy them more than back squats. I currently do my entire sets of back squats and then immediately after do my front squats. Maybe not the best programming ever, but I enjoy it back-to-back. Obviously my front squat weight is hindered a bit since at the end of this all I'm looking at ~10+ sets of squats including warmups in that, but I am progressing nonetheless.

Have really tight quads and I'm thinking that is the reason for my lower back pain during squats. Stopped benching/OHP to work on shoulder mobility too. So my workouts have become really frustrating.

Did some heavier work today to test my shoulder. Fuck it. I'm either going to break it properly (it did nearly fail on me a couple of times) or I'm just going to ignore it.

Kickz

Fitgaf, getting back to gym today after being off the rails for the past month..

To efficiently use my time what work outs/machines should I be using. (I usually do half hour free weights/half hour cardio)

sphinx

the piano man
ok so I am eating a lot more and doing a concerted effort to gain mass

7 days between each measurement

1st/starting weight: 153.78 lbs / 69.9 kgs
2nd weight: 154.88 lbs / 70.4 kgs
3rd Weight: 156.42 lbs / 71.1 kgs
4th Weight: ???? (next week!!)

but I know me, it's after 72 kgs that it will turn into a nightmare to eat the required food to keep gaining good weight.

I want about 1 kg a month but probably more, I want it to be solid and real, no water/feces/retention bullshit illusions

by February or March I want to be around 75 kg / 165 lbs,

but definitely, absolutely NOT 71 fucking kilograms,

Dany

Banned
It's 20 here and I just left the gym. Solid workout but not worth the cold.

Also November is a shitty month for gains, stupid thanksgiving

ACE 1991

I'm sick of not looking like I lift with my shirt on. I'm running a program similar toclyle McDonalds generic bulking, would adding a 30 min arms and Tris day on the weekend be terrible? I don't have much truble with recovery.

Chocobro

What's the consensus here on crunches? This caught my eye on youtube

Do NOT crunch - Vince Gironda advice for abs exercises

Been meaning to incorporate vacuums into my routine, and even out of the gym (since they require no equipment) this is giving me more resolve

We don't recommend crunches; it's even apparent just based on this page's posts. There are other exercises we generally recommend, such as hanging leg raises, planks, and ab roller. CherryWoodFuton listed some more.

-------------------------------------
I think I have regressed in my HB squats despite not missing any days. Last Monday I got 180lb x 7 AMRAP so I felt it was reasonable to aim for 185x6 AMRAP last Friday. However I didn't get anywhere close to that; I only got 3 and 1 reps for the first and second working set, respectively, and felt it was pointless to even go for AMRAP. Today was a 10% reset and I only hit 165x9 AMRAP whereas the last time I did 11 at this same weight.

BadTaste

I'm a noobie when it comes to weight lifting but today I decided to lift heavier when doing Fly's and Incline DB Press and that was successful but when then I went onto doing traditional Bench Presses I had to lower the weights down a bit and even so I still did less reps than usual. All because I was hurting from doing the previous 2 exercises, I shouldn't feel disheartened right.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
I'm a noobie when it comes to weight lifting but today I decided to lift heavier when doing Fly's and Incline DB Press and that was successful but when then I went onto doing traditional Bench Presses I had to lower the weights down a bit and even so I still did less reps than usual. All because I was hurting from doing the previous 2 exercises, I shouldn't feel disheartened right.
No you shouldn't be disheartened but this is the reason why you should be doing the main lifts first. Things like flys are assistance work; it's much better to be progressing on the bench, squat, dead etc... and only have enough left in the tank to maintain on assistance exercises than it is to do it the other way around.

sphinx

the piano man
I'm sick of not looking like I lift with my shirt on. I'm running a program similar toclyle McDonalds generic bulking, would adding a 30 min arms and Tris day on the weekend be terrible? I don't have much truble with recovery.

buy shirts your size :) problem solved

Been meaning to incorporate vacuums into my routine, and even out of the gym (since they require no equipment) this is giving me more resolve

plain crunches could be good to strengthen the core... if you started hitting the gym yesterday... but if you are past the first couple of months of working out, there's better use of your time. Cherry named a few very good exercises.

I love the decline crunches, they realle engage the core.

BadTaste

No you shouldn't be disheartened but this is the reason why you should be doing the main lifts first. Things like flys are assistance work; it's much better to be progressing on the bench, squat, dead etc... and only have enough left in the tank to maintain on assistance exercises than it is to do it the other way around.

I'll change that for next time then, makes sense, thanks for the input.

Recently I've switched from doing 5 days of lifting to 3. I used to switch days between leg days and upper body days. Now I've compressed them into the same day. It pretty much adds a third legs day to my week. The results have been great. I can jump higher at the trampoline park I take my son to. The weirdest part was when I actually looked at the muscle I was building. It doesn't look... aesthetically pleasing. I'm a guy so maybe my view of what guy legs should look like are skewed, but I'm glad it's winter and I'm wearing pants when I run.

buy shirts your size :) problem solved

plain crunches could be good to strengthen the core... if you started hitting the gym yesterday... but if you are past the first couple of months of working out, there's better use of your time. Cherry named a few very good exercises.

I love the decline crunches, they realle engage the core.

You mean shirts that are a size too small :)

Sadetar

Glad you're feeling better. Hopefully completely now?

Glad that epic beast guy is back and helping you perfect your form too! Haha. That's great. :D
Nope. The annoying slight pain is still there if I am not working out or laying down. It is thank gods relative small still that I haven't taken any pain medication to it. So I remain hopeful and continue working out. I will have an appointment with my physiotherapist hopefully on December and I will ask her opinion. I so wouldn't want to go back to the machines. Today when I was at the gym it didn't again hurt at all while muscles were warm but after the shower the pain was back again.

Hahah, and yes. I am extremely happy about talking to Beast again. :p He is honestly like one of the nicest lads at the gym and always ready to help. :D

Oh and how have you been? I remember you needed to take a short break after you got back from your vacation, but is everything back on track now? What you have been thinking about your program so far? :)

ok so I am eating a lot more and doing a concerted effort to gain mass

7 days between each measurement

1st/starting weight: 153.78 lbs / 69.9 kgs
2nd weight: 154.88 lbs / 70.4 kgs
3rd Weight: 156.42 lbs / 71.1 kgs
4th Weight: ???? (next week!!)

but I know me, it's after 72 kgs that it will turn into a nightmare to eat the required food to keep gaining good weight.

I want about 1 kg a month but probably more, I want it to be solid and real, no water/feces/retention bullshit illusions

by February or March I want to be around 75 kg / 165 lbs,

but definitely, absolutely NOT 71 fucking kilograms,
So far so good! You are going to make it! :D

I used to do a lot of sporting and had quite an alright tight tummy but the past years I've kinda focused a lot on work and didn't care that much. However I'm trying to get back into healthier living so the diet is already there. I've worked out a bit while just eating copious amounts of food really. I like to call it the longest bulk ever. Just really want to know some good things to work the core while I'm doing my cardio, lifting etc. So really I'm in decent shape but I have a lot of outer fat that I'm gonna try to lean down eventually.
Ah, the big guys has already given you numerous good advices. :) My tip would be to follow what ever they are saying to you since they know their stuff.

otapnam

FYI guys, muscledriverusa.com started there holiday sale with 25%off weights and 15% off bars and other stuff.

I'm about to get some bumpers

Szu

Well, I'll chime about crunches. I only do a side variation to isolate the obliques. Besides that, I don't use them for my core.

For my core stuff, I usually do stuff where I'm either hanging or on a bench. I find them to be infinitely more rewarding. Plus, I look like a badass when I do them.

Goddamnit, I'm basically 1,100kcal down on where I should be for the day. Going to have to just eat a pizza or something as that's all I've got that's even going to get me close to where I want to be.

Oh, and as for the crunch / abs stuff. If you're going to do them, do them like Dr Stuart McGill says you should do them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsup3ZvzAjU

Mr. X

Goddamnit, I'm basically 1,100kcal down on where I should be for the day. Going to have to just eat a pizza or something as that's all I've got that's even going to get me close to where I want to be.

Oh, and as for the crunch / abs stuff. If you're going to do them, do them like Dr Stuart McGill says you should do them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsup3ZvzAjU

:[ Yikes, didn't realize I was potentially doing so much harm to myself. Gonna have to review my abs/core routine.

_Isaac

The struggle of the winter season breh.

Seriously. I can't wait till spring, so I can show off my slightly less apparent rolls.

Heading in for bench tonight, looking forward to it. Had some incredibly good sleep this weekend and feel pretty strong.

Welcome to my hood. The gyms here suck generally, the ones with all the power cages tend to be crossfit gyms which cost a house payment to join. I stick with 24 hour fitness, you can get a 2 year from costco that comes out to 15 a month, no sign up fee. I'm on my 2nd one. Most 24's have 1 single cage, and 1 rack (sometimes they are the bad racks that dont even have the side rail). Its pretty shoddy, and the plates are the hex ones which are a nightmare for deadlifting. But it is what it is. Until i buy my own place and do my own setup, this is how it has to be. This is why i have to go work out at 1-3am, since going any other time, im never guaranteed cage access. Even at those hours, i've had to sit and wait for a cage or rack to open.

p.s. - if you take my cage when im at the gym i will overhead press you. j/k. maybe.

Wow. I didn't know Costco did that. I checked their site right now and the cheaper option is 370 dollars for two years. Man, that's technically cheaper than the regular rate, but all at once it hurts me. D:

I've been running front squats for about 4-5 months now. I love them. I actually think I enjoy them more than back squats. I currently do my entire sets of back squats and then immediately after do my front squats. Maybe not the best programming ever, but I enjoy it back-to-back. Obviously my front squat weight is hindered a bit since at the end of this all I'm looking at ~10+ sets of squats including warmups in that, but I am progressing nonetheless.

I really enjoy front squats too. I feel immediately sore unlike back squats, which makes me feel that I had a good workout.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom