• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the people doing 531, have you guys done two days on one day off? I know everyone is different but this program emphasizes resting so I'm wondering if I'm kind of going against the intended grain.

I do 2 on 1 day active rest (light cardio) 2 on and 2 full days rest.

I got a lot stronger from this program. Diet and rest play huge roles in this working.

For the people doing 531, have you guys done two days on one day off? I know everyone is different but this program emphasizes resting so I'm wondering if I'm kind of going against the intended grain.

I tried that but I like having Saturday and Sunday off to go do things so I stick to Mon-Fri. Except this week. I need to go Saturday because I was catching up on sleep Monday.

Petrie

Banned

I have been doing 5/3/1 for like a year or more now in various forms, and have done both a MWF plan as well as MTThF.

Both worked well as long as I kept in mind my assistance volume coupled with how many days I was lifting. 3 days meant more assistance work. 4 means I am there for my big lifts and whatever else I do is just gravy.

Szu

on the topic of accessory for delts:

Has anyone here tried the Arnold press over a decent amount of time? How would you rate it?

I'e been doing the DB frontal raise for a while but I really don't feel it on my delts, maybe I am doing it wrong? I always get a pump on forearms and branchialis, that's just it so I am considering putting it away and doing something else.

suggestions for accesory moves for anterior delts are welcome

I usually incorporate Arnolds into my workout immediately after OHP.

I also do front raises. Sometimes, I switch it up with a light barbell instead of individual dbs.

Szu

the difference is huge, you look like an alien in your before pic heh

Now, he looks like a monster. And we know who wins that fight.

Monsters-vs-aliens-poster.jpg

Szu

Can I get a quick form check? Keep in mind this is about 85-90% of my 1RM so there is bound to be imperfections.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFkibBJZ-7c&feature=youtu.be

I'm not the best authority on deadlifts, but it seems fine for that weight. Slight rounding of the back, but I can't fault you on that. Nice extension at the peak of the lift.

Those plates make it seem like you dead lifting Ronald McDonald.

Also, I'm trying to figure out what the guy next to you was trying to do.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I'm not the best authority on deadlifts, but it seems fine for that weight. Slight rounding of the back, but I can't fault you on that. Nice extension at the peak of the lift.

Those plates make it seem like you dead lifting Ronald McDonald.

Also, I'm trying to figure out what the guy next to you was trying to do.

Thanks Szu. You're the only one to comment so they must be ok. I've come a long way on DLs and they really do feel dialed in now. And yeah, I never know what anyone is trying to do at that gym. Always entertaining.

Petrie

Banned
Thanks Szu. You're the only one to comment so they must be ok. I've come a long way on DLs and they really do feel dialed in now. And yeah, I never know what anyone is trying to do at that gym. Always entertaining.

I'd keep working on that rounding, but otherwise really solid looking.

Obviously rounding will happen, but there's always room to improve it!

Szu

I think that's because I one of the first ones to wake up.

East side, represent.

Or in my case, the Far East side.

Cooter

I'd keep working on that rounding, but otherwise really solid looking.

Obviously rounding will happen, but there's always room to improve it!
Yup. You're right. I'm always trying to eliminate as much rounding as possible. Everything 405 and under is better in that regard. After that it's tough. Thanks for taking a look.

You probably have bad ankle mobility, if you have some extra money and plan on getting serious about squats then getting some weightlifting shoes will help tons

I have just finished my workout and it seems I have tackled the problem! Feet were flat on the ground :D

Squats: Fine
Bench Press: Fine
Barbell Rows: Eh

I kept losing the right form on the rows. Ah well, 'tis just the beginning! I got better at maintaining it during my last set.

Ya I don't know if I'm qualified to comment on your videos. Too beastly. Looked good for the weight and maybe the back was rounded a bit. I was impressed.

Petrie

Banned
984248_625904912336_3209428660586294613_n.jpg

10685787_625904947266_5979128104019636920_n.jpg

Final numbers with no belt:

Squat: 345lb x 4
Bench Press: 265lb x 3
Deadlift: 390lb x 6
OHP: 185lb x 2

Like a motherfucking boss.

Petrie

Banned
Grats Petrie. Any idea what your 1RM is on each lift? Also, more importantly, what's your dumbbell curl max brah?

Not a damn clue, as I haven't tested them at any point. I feel like maybe I should come year's end just to see, thoughts?

All of these are the highest weight I have ever done on each lift.

My curl weight is pitiful! :p

Not a damn clue, as I haven't tested them at any point. I feel like maybe I should come year's end just to see, thoughts?

All of these are the highest weight I have ever done on each lift.

My curl weight is pitiful! :p

I wouldn't mess with trying for a 1RM if you don't care to know it, I was just curious. I like testing my 1RM every now and then (maybe once or twice a year) just so, some day when I'm an 85 year old grandpa and no longer lifting quite as heavy, I can tell my little shit grandkids how swole I used to be.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

Grats man.

Can I get a quick form check? Keep in mind this is about 85-90% of my 1RM so there is bound to be imperfections.

Work on finishing with your hips/ass it looks like you're finishing with your lower back. It's hard to tell a lot from that angle, but it doesn't look that bad from what I can see.

I'd also face away from the mirror when you lift. The mirror can and will cause you to use an incorrect pattern.

Cooter

Awesome work Petrie. But I'm with Soka. Test your 1RM because when, not if, your future children ask how much you can lift off the ground you need a badass number so they can go tell their friends!

Work on finishing with your hips/ass it looks like you're finishing with your lower back. It's hard to tell a lot from that angle, but it doesn't look that bad from what I can see.

I'd also face away from the mirror when you lift. The mirror can and will cause you to use an incorrect pattern.

You're the man as usual. Thanks. Will continue to try to improve it.

Petrie

Banned
Awesome work Petrie. But I'm with Soka. Test your 1RM because when, not if, your future children ask how much you can lift off the ground you need a badass number so they can go tell their friends!

I'm sure I'll test it eventually, but why not keep increasing what it actually is first?

I keep waiting to need my belt again too.

Question for you knowledgeable fitness buffs in here. Are there any studies that have looked at the long term health effects of carrying extra muscle weight? I feel like personally I'm in a pretty solid spot with my fitness currently, but I'd like to add on some more muscle. Having a bit of trouble figuring out exactly what I should aim for. So currently I'm 5'7" and around 165 lbs. I have a pretty thick frame, so I'm sure that I could (over time) be at the same basic body fat percent and more like 180+ lbs. But I can't help but wondering if this would actually be good for my fitness long term. I'd think that even if it's not fat that you are adding on that still having extra mass on your body would add to wear and tear (joints, circulation, ect) on you as you age. So is this a thing to consider at all?

tl;dr summary: Are their negative health effects long term from being "bigger" if body composition is the same?

ILoveBish

I take many days off with 5/3/1. With my keto, even weeks off from the gym, I'm maintaining strength and losing fat. Never looked or felt better in my entire life.

Cooter that lift looks good to me. Also couldn't stop looking at the other dude to figure out what he was doing.

Gonna give this another go since the BS seems to have subsided and EL stepped in. Hopefully we can keep the BS out of here.

Strongman training is going well. Been training without a belt for a while now. Here's the progress. All Beltless.
Log press 195x5
http://youtu.be/_CjoG9vETtM

Front squat 315 deadlift 525 and front squat 250
http://youtu.be/nCJ27brE42E

200lb sandbag and 160lb handles 75 foot. Sandbag is one of the hardest things ive done.

http://youtu.be/c67-KNlYKA0

It can take a while brother. When it feels "okay" start very light and see how it goes. I've taken weeks off for my back and I took more than a month for my shoulder.

Lttp but damn Brolic you're back with a vengeance. I love watching strongman and its really cool to see your vids of doing log presses and farmer walks

Dat red Inzer. Awesome lift. How is that belt by the way???? Im loving mines after my belt got broken in and I got used to the marks and bruises

Cooter

Thanks Bish. Again, I have no idea what he was doing.

Dat red Inzer. Awesome lift. How is that belt by the way???? Im loving mines after my belt got broken in and I got used to the marks and bruises
I love it! One of the best purchases of my life and I'm not being over dramatic.

Szu

Thanks Bish. Again, I have no idea what he was doing.

His preparation is amusing. He lines up the bar and plants his feet. He wipes his hands on his pants, then he wipes his mouth, and wipes his hand on his pants again.

Speaking of pants, someone throws his pants on the floor at the start of the video.

Also, there's a group of kids having a picnic at the far end of the mirror.

At 16 sec, a random girl pops up on the left of the video.

I guess we've critiqued Cooter so much, it's time to critique everything else.

Cooter

His preparation is amusing. He lines up the bar and plants his feet. He wipes his hands on his pants, then he wipes his mouth, and wipes his hand on his pants again.

Speaking of pants, someone throws his pants on the floor at the start of the video.

Also, there's a group of kids having a picnic at the far end of the mirror.

At 16 sec, a random girl pops up on the left of the video.

I guess we've critiqued Cooter so much, it's time to critique everything else.

That was fantastic! I wish I would have done 4 reps because it cuts off right when he actually starts his lift and it looks all kinds of terrible.

sphinx

the piano man
thanks everyone for the replies about the arnold presses, didn't think they'd be that popular here. they look like they'd feel good in the gif, I'll definitely try them.

about frontal raises, don't know, I like them....

I'll say I am a little upset in particular about my delts, I've gotten a decent frame, chest, back, even arms to some extent but the main reason I don't like myself as much as I'd like is because of my very narrow shoulders, they don't "pop" at all, on the contrary they are just too small.

I've been OHPing almost since the beginning and pre-injury, I was intermediate according the strstd.com so I am not sure about what I have to change, I think I've been lacking good asisstance or maybe I've been doing it wrong, or maybe it's just shit genes....

probably that :/

thanks everyone for the replies about the arnold presses, didn't think they'd be that popular here. they look like they'd feel good in the gif, I'll definitely try them.

about frontal raises, don't know, I like them....

I'll say I am a little upset in particular about my delts, I've gotten a decent frame, chest, back, even arms to some extent but the main reason I don't like myself as much as I'd like is because of my very narrow shoulders, they don't "pop" at all, on the contrary they are just too small.

I've been OHPing almost since the beginning and pre-injury, I was intermediate according the strstd.com so I am not sure about what I have to change, I think I've been lacking good asisstance or maybe I've been doing it wrong, or maybe it's just shit genes....

probably that :/

i'd love to do front raises. but my shoulder makes weird noises and it scares me

Sadetar

I didn't do anything today if sleeping till 5 pm doesn't count. I was feeling like going to gym in the evening, but since I was yesterday I couldn't. First world problems.

Thanks everyone. Here's to an injury free 2015 :)
leo.gif

Cooter
and FE looking like proper beasts, both of them.

That is indeed awesome! Great work! :D

Soka, ...? :p

Had my first try at weighted pull-ups instead of regular/traditional body weight pull-ups today out of curiousity.

Holy shit.

Granted it was only 10 Kg I only managed to struggle to complete sets of 3x3.

I was wondering: Anybody knowledgable enough to know whether if it's acceptable to swap the regular pull-ups in the Texas Method with the weighted variant instead?

entremet

Question for you knowledgeable fitness buffs in here. Are there any studies that have looked at the long term health effects of carrying extra muscle weight? I feel like personally I'm in a pretty solid spot with my fitness currently, but I'd like to add on some more muscle. Having a bit of trouble figuring out exactly what I should aim for. So currently I'm 5'7" and around 165 lbs. I have a pretty thick frame, so I'm sure that I could (over time) be at the same basic body fat percent and more like 180+ lbs. But I can't help but wondering if this would actually be good for my fitness long term. I'd think that even if it's not fat that you are adding on that still having extra mass on your body would add to wear and tear (joints, circulation, ect) on you as you age. So is this a thing to consider at all?

tl;dr summary: Are their negative health effects long term from being "bigger" if body composition is the same?

Better bone health, reduced risk of injury in golden years, better insulin sensitivity--a good thing!, increase metabolic rate.

Any tips for back spasms in mid to lower back? Just rest and ice and ibuprofen?

If its really serious you could try getting a script for relaxer or anti spasm med. Doc might prescribe Valium or Fexmid.

Or my favorite OTC remedy, this stuff called Blue Emu. I have no idea why or how but it works on muscle soreness.

So guys and gals, I did bench squats with light weight today. 15 squats total. This got my heart rate way up. When I was resting, for about 10 to 20 seconds I experienced a noticeable hearing loss. I am overweight and really out of shape, so there's that and I'm 31. Was wondering if this was something that was the cause of low or high blood pressure? Is this something that I should be worried about?

So guys and gals, I did bench squats with light weight today. 15 squats total. This got my heart rate way up. When I was resting, for about 10 to 20 seconds I experienced a noticeable hearing loss. I am overweight and really out of shape, so there's that and I'm 31. Was wondering if this was something that was the cause of low or high blood pressure? Is this something that I should be worried about?

Was it hearing loss or more like a plugged up ear, as if you were on an airplane? I get the plugged up ear feeling sometimes when squatting and I think it is because I have a bad habit of holding my breath and presumably increasing pressure in my inner ear.

Not sure about how it would feel on an airplane. Basically it felt like someone was turning down the volume very slowly. Then when I would catch my breath, the volume would go back up. Probably has something to do with breathing properly then?

Not sure about how it would feel on an airplane. Basically it felt like someone was turning down the volume very slowly. Then when I would catch my breath, the volume would go back up. Probably has something to do with breathing properly then?

I'm not a doctor or an expert in this area so definitely do what you think is best, but I would suggest you focus on making sure you're breathing well when lifting. Take deep, full breaths, don't hold your breath for excessive lengths, etc. See if that helps. I have never heard of hearing loss as a sign of anything serious related to weight lifting.

Besides my example of sounding like you're on a plane, another comparison would be like if you were underwater.

Evo X

So getting sick really fucks up your lifting routine and goals huh?

I got a pretty bad cold recently, so I didn't go to the gym for a week. Not only that, but I barely got any sleep and had trouble keeping food down in that time. As a result, I went from busting out 3 sets of squats at 185lbs like a boss last week to barely doing 3 sets at 165lbs tonight. This is really pissing me off as it took me 3 god damn weeks to go from 165-185 in the first place.

I mean I've only recently started lifting, but I've been working my ass off and had a certain vision of what I wanted my body to be come springtime, and this (along with hurting my left shoulder) really threw a wrench in my plans. :(

Anybody have similar experience or any encouraging words to cheer me up?

Tater Tot

"My God... it's full of Starch!"
Pretty good day today.
I Pr'd on the Deadlift on 335 x 8.
Squat I got 255 x 6.

Been getting stronger. Feelsgoodman

_Isaac

Yeah, would have to say it felt like being underwater.

Maybe the sweat shifted around some ear wax and clogged it up for a bit. :p I guess that's a little gross. How did your hearing come back? Did you shake your head around a bit?

So getting sick really fucks up your lifting routine and goals huh?

I got a pretty bad cold recently, so I didn't go to the gym for a week. Not only that, but I barely got any sleep and had trouble keeping food down in that time. As a result, I went from busting out 3 sets of squats at 185lbs like a boss last week to barely doing 3 sets at 165lbs tonight. This is really pissing me off as it took me 3 god damn weeks to go from 165-185 in the first place.

I mean I've only recently started lifting, but I've been working my ass off and had a certain vision of what I wanted my body to be come springtime, and this (along with hurting my left shoulder) really threw a wrench in my plans. :(

Anybody have similar experience or any encouraging words to cheer me up?

Hm. Yeah I've had crazy off gym days before too. Sometimes it's just that one day, and then you're back on track for the next. Hopefully, that'll be the case for you now that you're able to keep your food down. I also had a shoulder problem a bit ago. Doc told me certain stretches, and that really helped! I was pleasantly surprised!

Had the oddest cramping today while benching. One set the small of my back cramped up. I don't know if my arch was too tight or what. Then in a later set my hamstring cramped up.

_Isaac

Oh yeah. So I'm moving to the Anaheim area soon for work stuff, and I was checking out some of the gyms in the area. I was surprised at the lack of squat/power racks. I first tried out Planet Fitness. I know this one has an interesting reputation, but I wanted to check it out. I noticed there were a lot of smith machines and no power racks. Not too surprising, I guess. I had heard PF sometimes doesn't have those. I then check out this other gym I've never heard of called Chuze. It was a really nice gym, and they even have like a movie theatre area where you can do cardio in a dim room while watching a movie on a big screen. :p Anyway, this one also had a bunch of smith machines and no power racks or squat racks. She said it was for safety reasons. I then checked out 24 Hour Fitness. This one had a few smiths too, but I think i saw only one squat rack. Man, why are smith machines so popular in that area. Now, I don't really know which one to choose. 24 Hour has the squat rack, but it was like 3x the price as the other gyms even though it looked a little older. :/

I think this is the right thread to ask, but let me know if it isn't.

In order to help mental health issues, I've decided to lose a good amount of weight. I'm 6'2 and started at 244 lbs. I'm now down to around 220 lbs, but I'm plateauing a bit. I've decided to try a weekly refeed day. What kind of food so you recommend I add on that day for it to be most effective in resetting my body?

Also, if anyone cares, my goal is to be 180 pounds.

Help?

SeanR1221

also, post arm pump pic, prolly gonna start cutting in a few months *shrug*

lol at the alien comment. Sometimes I look at those old pictures and can't even imagine being that skinny anymore.

You're looking properly huge yourself. Are people still mistaking you for a football player?

Very nice! That's why you had that huge meal on facebook. Now I get it :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom