• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I've noticed that getting high before a workout REALLY makes a huge difference, it's like the best pre workout ever. You can lift more and feel much better doing it for sure.

I just got high for the first time in a month and a half last night and I'm thinking about doing it again for lifting today.
I did occasionally in my younger days. It was hit and miss. Sometimes I would be super focused and knocked out a great workout and sometimes it would just increase my fatigue.

Bowser

You're 6'7"? Got damn. I had a totally different image in my head.

I hope it was this one as it's the only one you should have really:

Vince-McMahon-WWE-Superstar-5.jpg

TylerD

Name: Tyler
Weight: 170 lbs
Goal: 185 lbs, size, definition and strength
Height 6'00''

As I posted before, I just started a new gym membership and have access to pretty much anything that I could want regarding equipment. They do have a no chalk policy.

History: Went on an IF diet a couple years back to get from 185 and flabby down to 166 and skinny and maintained that by watching what I eat during the week and enjoying myself on the weekends. Last October I started working out using resistance bands, body weight exercises, an all-in-one cable pulley machine, and cardio equipment (eliptical/treadmill). My dedication was not what it could have been, I would take weeks off at a time and just kind of wing it.

That is all changing now and I am ready to get serious with weight training and start moving some iron.

I'm starting SS today and this is what i'm working with to start. I'm most worried about the squats because in I could never find a technique that would allow me to squat to parallel without my heels coming up off of the ground and balance has been an issue.

SbeVjgN.jpg

Is that the pull-up signal I see in the sky? On my way Commissioner McMahon!

How many times are you doing pull ups a week Jimmy? How many can you max out at? How high are you pulling yourself up?

I vastly prefer slightly wide grip pull ups where the bar begins to decent. Other grips are fine too but that one is the sweet spot for me. I don't even do chin ups anymore except in rare instances when I'm doing a 100-150 pull up day with various grips. I feel pull ups are superior in every way except hitting your bis and I'm not too concerned about bis because regular pull ups hit them hard anyway. To improve them you have to do them and do them often. Maybe 3 or 4 times a week in the beginning. It's an explosive movement so pull yourself with some force. None of this controlled slow stuff. When you hit 20 straight add some weight and watch them really take off!

Yo! Today, after a few bodyweight exercises, I was able to only crank out 2x6, 1x5. I can do several more chin-ups. And I'm doing a full pull-up, as far as I know. My chin is above the bar.

I think I did them too slow today. The pull-up movement is still a little awkward because I *never* do them.

Sadetar

Damn midsummer celebrations - every gym (and shop and store) is closed for three days. They will also close so early on Thursday that I don't manage to go to gym before my work or after my work then. It seems I am having only one proper muscle work out this week. Oh well, some lame home exercises and more cardio...

On the plus side I have more time to do awesome home cookings. I have tons of splendid low-carb recipies that are absolutely delicious (at least I do think so). Cauliflower tortillas, broccoli- smoked tofu pie, crepes, kale chips, jams... :p I can share recipies if someone is interested. I love them.

Goddamn man I'm 6'7" and approx 270
You are huge. Or not only huge but like gigantic...

Vince is 6'7"? Let me borrow a couple inches bro.
I am 5'6''. I have always wanted to be a bit shorter though. I could donate you at least two inches. My mother was exactly 5 feet and I always envied her height.

It can take a few sessions to find someone that clicks, that's for sure, but I would also suggest acquiring some dvds or videos and following along at home. Then you can build your own routine focusing on a general approach with a few specific movements designed to hit problem (stiff/sore) areas more frequently. Daily yoga practice without having to go anywhere is really beneficial, all you need is some time and a mat!
Well, I have a mat and a training ball at home. I use both to do my core muscle trainings at home every other day. I might need to try and check those yoga things out some day and see what they feel. Thanks again sweetie!

What the FUCK, guys. Can a FitGAF newb get some love? I had no idea. :(

I'm going to convince this girl to load me up on these motherfuckers.
Awwww. <3

Don't worry, I just ordered them last week first time in my life and I am hoping to have them this week (if the damn mid summer celebrations don't manage to mess with post office too much. The whole country is in total stop for 3 days).

Oh and good luck with sweet talking the girl to give you some... ;)

I will never be where I want to be because that would include getting lots of plastic surgery and looking like a totally different person lol

Bleh. I need to look acceptable so I can take photos in Europe :/

I think everyone else always has something beautiful about them no matter what. I just don't. :/ That's just how it's always been.

Well, my goal is to climb all the stairs in Notre Dame when I go. So I need to get good at stairs. Lol. Gotta get to the top!

Only did 20 today...belly and back still hurting. Being a girl sucks once a month. Lol.
So you want to be able to climb the stairs of Notre Dame and look accebtable in the photos - and you think that there is nothing positive in your looks and only thing to fix them would be plastic surgeries.

You hopefully realize that if you honestly and constantly feel that way it isn't healthy for you. You need better self-esteem. Working out is a wonderful way to feel better about oneself and release endorphins. I hope that it will do the trick. You are a wonderful girl but I am more and more worried about you the more I read your post about how little you value yourself.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I will never be where I want to be because that would include getting lots of plastic surgery and looking like a totally different person lol

Bleh. I need to look acceptable so I can take photos in Europe :/

I think everyone else always has something beautiful about them no matter what. I just don't. :/ That's just how it's always been.

Well, my goal is to climb all the stairs in Notre Dame when I go. So I need to get good at stairs. Lol. Gotta get to the top!

Only did 20 today...belly and back still hurting. Being a girl sucks once a month. Lol.

Saw this quoted in Sadetar's post, and missed it yesterday. I know this isn't the "feelings and stuff OT" but I feel like I gotta get through to you.

Advertising and bullshit culture is fucking KILLING you Leeness. These people, these movies, these ads, everywhere is building IMPOSSIBLE goals to go towards.

I know you're not happy with yourself - you've expressed it as much. But goddamn B you gotta try to throw these unrealistic expectations out the window, and I know it's easier said than done.

You're doing the work. You're getting where you want to be, somewhere that makes YOU happy - and what I'm hearing is that society is saying "this is what you NEED to be" and it ain't so. That's not how real people, real human beings like yourself and myself, can be. We can't all be fuckin airbrushed. We can't be put on a billboard the second after we get an insane pump after six months of steroid work and strength training while on gear. It's not realistic for us. We are told it is - and that we're not living up to our potential, but it's all manufactured.

If I'm overstepping any boundaries, just let me know. It just drives me nuts seeing people who are totally right on feeling like shit, and the media and advertising and more is made to make you feel like shit. They literally go with the "you are less of a person because you are not X" and it's horrible.

But fuck that. Be you. Set your goals and crush them. You already have been. We're all gonna fucking make it, you too. Just don't stop moving forwards, and fuck society.

That's the last I'll say about the unrealistic expectations
it probably isn't the last
but it's something that gets to me - and it wasn't until I hit 30 that I was like ohhh.gif about how fucked the world is and how far ahead I actually am in my mind, and how shit is finally working for me. I couldn't be happier with my progress, and I'm not able to be put on a billboard, probably never will. But I'm setting my goals, and I'm passing them. And I'm winning days more than losing, and so are you. Stay the course. Fuck expectations. Fuck people.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Why are you deciding to not eat food at lunch? Whey protein shakes are not meal replacements.

To follow up with this, protein shakes are usually for people who need to fill that particular macro - you can afford to eat your protein at lunch instead of rely on a supplemental shake my dude.

Fage Total + protein powder <3

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Yo! Today, after a few bodyweight exercises, I was able to only crank out 2x6, 1x5. I can do several more chin-ups. And I'm doing a full pull-up, as far as I know. My chin is above the bar.

I think I did them too slow today. The pull-up movement is still a little awkward because I *never* do them.
Alright. Increase the frequency and pull yourself up as high as you can. Up to your clavicle would be ideal. Keep working on the explosion. Max out you first set and every subsequent set after. When you drop above your hairline the set is finished. Practice practice practice!

Sadetar

Saw this quoted in Sadetar's post, and missed it yesterday. I know this isn't the "feelings and stuff OT" but I feel like I gotta get through to you.

Advertising and bullshit culture is fucking KILLING you Leeness. These people, these movies, these ads, everywhere is building IMPOSSIBLE goals to go towards.

I know you're not happy with yourself - you've expressed it as much. But goddamn B you gotta try to throw these unrealistic expectations out the window, and I know it's easier said than done.

You're doing the work. You're getting where you want to be, somewhere that makes YOU happy - and what I'm hearing is that society is saying "this is what you NEED to be" and it ain't so. That's not how real people, real human beings like yourself and myself, can be. We can't all be fuckin airbrushed. We can't be put on a billboard the second after we get an insane pump after six months of steroid work and strength training while on gear. It's not realistic for us. We are told it is - and that we're not living up to our potential, but it's all manufactured.

If I'm overstepping any boundaries, just let me know. It just drives me nuts seeing people who are totally right on feeling like shit, and the media and advertising and more is made to make you feel like shit. They literally go with the "you are less of a person because you are not X" and it's horrible.

But fuck that. Be you. Set your goals and crush them. You already have been. We're all gonna fucking make it, you too. Just don't stop moving forwards, and fuck society.

That's the last I'll say about the unrealistic expectations
it probably isn't the last
but it's something that gets to me - and it wasn't until I hit 30 that I was like ohhh.gif about how fucked the world is and how far ahead I actually am in my mind, and how shit is finally working for me. I couldn't be happier with my progress, and I'm not able to be put on a billboard, probably never will. But I'm setting my goals, and I'm passing them. And I'm winning days more than losing, and so are you. Stay the course. Fuck expectations. Fuck people.
Benedict-Cumberbatch-thank-you.gif

That was great. You expressed it way better than I ever could have.

Work out because you want to and because it makes you feel better. Not because you think that someone expects you to work out to look better.
Vince, marry me? <3

Fuck people.
How awesome a sentence can be when taken out of the context.
I still agree with you. Very pleasurable activity. ;)

Why are you deciding to not eat food at lunch? Whey protein shakes are not meal replacements.

To follow up with this, protein shakes are usually for people who need to fill that particular macro - you can afford to eat your protein at lunch instead of rely on a supplemental shake my dude.

Fage Total + protein powder <3

Its a matter of trying to stretch a thin budget even further and avoid buying more food than I need to right now.

If I can get my nutrition from one shake during my lunch hour and avoid the shit that is fast food or fast-casual or whatever, that's more money in my pocket.

I'm already trying to cover expensive ass rent in NYC and going on a couple interviews I haven't been offered a better job yet =/

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Terrible day. Didn't manage to complete my workout.

Not even my final exercise 1x5 120 Kg DL :-(

Whatever brah. It's like the tide. Sometimes it's in, sometimes its out. Ebb and flow. Rest up. Kick the shit out of it next time. You'll be fine.

Whatever brah. It's like the tide. Sometimes it's in, sometimes its out. Ebb and flow. Rest up. Kick the shit out of it next time. You'll be fine.

Yeah brah, I know. Felt like airing some bad air. It's no biggie. First time in 6 months anyway.

Looking forward to switching to the 24 hour gym this coming month. That'll decrease the rush to complete my work out schedule.

I did occasionally in my younger days. It was hit and miss. Sometimes I would be super focused and knocked out a great workout and sometimes it would just increase my fatigue.

I've noticed that getting high before a workout REALLY makes a huge difference, it's like the best pre workout ever. You can lift more and feel much better doing it for sure.

I just got high for the first time in a month and a half last night and I'm thinking about doing it again for lifting today.

This conversation reminds me of this:

tumblr_meuo2t5CJm1rn8gxao1_1280.jpg

I've lived across the street from a chipotle for the past 3 years, and every time I've ordered a quesarito they've had to double wrap it. I can't seem to find the right combination of filling to eliminate the double wrap. also, after about halfway through, it just turns into a soggy mess that crumples if you decide to add salsa inside of it. I think next time i'll try getting my salsas on the side.

grumble

That feeling when you ask for a spot on the bench, tell him not to touch the bar unless you yell, and he fucking grabs it anyway and assists the whole time. For two separate sets despite repeat instructions. Goddamn

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
That feeling when you ask for a spot on the bench, tell him not to touch the bar unless you yell, and he fucking grabs it anyway and assists the whole time. For two separate sets despite repeat instructions. Goddamn

This is why I bench in a power cage.

Irobot82

320lb Dealift like a CHAMP! By champ I mean that I cried on the last rep because it was weally weally hard.

Also 230 Squat was easy peasy and 150lb Bench which was my previous max. HItting new territory WHOOT!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
320lb Dealift like a CHAMP! By champ I mean that I cried on the last rep because it was weally weally hard.

Also 230 Squat was easy peasy and 150lb Bench which was my previous max. HItting new territory WHOOT!

Congrats :) The feeling of success, the sound of goals being shattered. Fuck yes.

TylerD

Day 1 of SS complete and here are my 5RMs. I feel that waiting a couple of hours and watching the USA match may have hurt my energy just a touch.

squat - 75lbs due to form issues. Going to work on my hip and ankle flexibility so i can stay off my toes and keep the weight on my heels and not feel like i'm going to topple over. Did 85 for 5 reps but felt sketchy
bench - 115lbs
dead lift - 155lbs
pull ups - 3x8 with 60lbs assist

Rome wasn't built in a day! Onward and upwards I shall go.

edit: I felt like I was being pretty conservative on all but the squat but the linear progression will get the weight up quick enough.

No Love

Banned
Day 1 of SS complete and here are my 5RMs. I feel that waiting a couple of hours and watching the USA match may have hurt my energy just a touch.

squat - 75lbs due to form issues. Going to work on my hip and ankle flexibility so i can stay off my toes and keep the weight on my heels and not feel like i'm going to topple over. Did 85 for 5 reps but felt sketchy
bench - 115lbs
dead lift - 155lbs

edit: I felt like I was being pretty conservative on all but the squat but the linear progression will get the weight up quick enough.

Good job Tyler!! You're gonna be a beast in no time.:)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

bench - 115lbs
dead lift - 155lbs

First time lifting? Not bad starting numbers.

Unless you are confident in your form, I'd drop dead lift down to 135 lbs. and really get that form sorted out. Like you said, Rome wasn't built in a day, so no need to rush. Then again, it's the most difficult lift to get right for me, so that may not be the case for you.

Leeness

So you want to be able to climb the stairs of Notre Dame and look accebtable in the photos - and you think that there is nothing positive in your looks and only thing to fix them would be plastic surgeries.

You hopefully realize that if you honestly and constantly feel that way it isn't healthy for you. You need better self-esteem. Working out is a wonderful way to feel better about oneself and release endorphins. I hope that it will do the trick. You are a wonderful girl but I am more and more worried about you the more I read your post about how little you value yourself.

I have good self-esteem except for appearance. :p It's all good.

Notre Dame! Gotta get to the top!

I know all this. Doesn't change how I feel. :p Been to a few therapists and they helped with other self esteem related stuff, but appearance is something I'll never get over. Ah well.

Anyway, I don't want to clog up this thread with my crazy anymore. Sorry.

Sigh, skipping one more day... Being a girl sucks. I'm hoping I won't feel like poop tomorrow.

Ate some yummy no bean/no diced tomato chili for dinner. Have a giant pot of it, so every dinner for the next few nights lol.

ALSO, I figured out why my carbs were high even without berries. No more imitation crab. Boooooo. I thought "meat! Protein!" but no, imitation crab is like 10g protein and 28g carbs. Boooooooooooooo

J. Bravo

man this sucks. i wanted to lift at 4 right after work. but instead i went to the pool until 430, then i went to chipotle, then i watched soccer, then i played basketball. now i'm at home. sometimes i need a gym away from the gym.

man this sucks. i wanted to lift at 4 right after work. but instead i went to the pool until 430, then i went to chipotle, then i watched soccer, then i played basketball. now i'm at home. sometimes i need a gym away from the gym.

I feel ya, I went home to let the dogs out and then decided to take a quick nap. Ended up sleeping too much and wasn't able to make it to the gym :-\

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
So last two days of squats I've noticed during the last 2 reps on heavy x8 sets my head begins to shake involuntarily...I knew it was my CNS but I've never experienced the tremors before. My nose would bleed a little when I used to deadlift heavy at a lighter body weight but that was it.

Zoe

^^ What are the odds.

Speaking of, today all three racks we're taken up by girls. Aside from the one doing random stuff with a PT (another girl took her place after), everyone was doing >= 135 on squats.

I was wondering if anyone can take a look at these squats. It's the exercise that always kills me. Constantly fighting with hip flexor pain. I know the angle isn't the best so I can try and shoot something clearer next time. They are suppose to be low bar squats with 195 pounds. Any help appreciated

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1dFjmU_wHk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom