• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get well Sean

Today I squatted 135 lbs \o/ so that means I should go for 145 next workout on Starting Strength? What happens if I miss the last 1 or 2 reps of the last set, I have to try again next time for the whole 3 work sets?

Get well Sean

Today I squatted 135 lbs o/ so that means I should go for 145 next workout on Starting Strength? What happens if I miss the last 1 or 2 reps of the last set, I have to try again next time for the whole 3 work sets?

I think the rule of thumb, is that you have give it a go 3 times before you deload. So in case you should fail to complete all full work sets, you have 3 chances for rematch.

Leeness

Sean, get well! Take it easy! :(

It sounds like you have a bit of a disordered relationship with your body. I'm sure your body is great, there's really no need to go down to dark well of self-loathing. Don't sell yourself short. There is always something else to do if you're interested in getting more fit, but you can't hate yourself for not being where you want to be yet.

As for long term goals, a more measured approach that includes a fair bit of heavy resistance training will probably give you the results you want.

I will never be where I want to be because that would include getting lots of plastic surgery and looking like a totally different person lol

Leeness don't sell yourself short. Please don't do that.

I saw your two photos for comparison and you're a pretty girl. Maybe consider that you might not photograph well or that you're internalizing this self-image of yourself that's far from the truth.

Just workout for fitness and health sake, and ignore the mirror and watch how much difference it makes. You'll also be a lot happier :)

Bleh. I need to look acceptable so I can take photos in Europe :/

Awww, sweetie, it saddens me to read your ideas about yourself. You wouldn't think or say anything as bad about anybody else compared to what your thoughts are about yourself. You seem to have twisted body image and self-image. You need to be more merciful towards yourself.

Like I have said before, I adore your body. I understand if you want to feel more healthy, but there isn't anything wrong with your body to begin with. You are absolutely beautiful the way you are.

Stop worrying about your looks and start to think about how you feel. Even if we would like to make you feel better about yourself it is not going to work if you aren't yourself working towards it as well. You need to believe more in yourself and to what you can do. Do the things that you enjoy and that make you feel better.

Oh and thank you so much. ^_^ That was very sweet of you to say!

I think everyone else always has something beautiful about them no matter what. I just don't. :/ That's just how it's always been.

Well, my goal is to climb all the stairs in Notre Dame when I go. So I need to get good at stairs. Lol. Gotta get to the top!

Only did 20 today...belly and back still hurting. Being a girl sucks once a month. Lol.

Jhriad

Of all goddamn things to cheat with, those nasty-ass Hot Tamales?!

They're the one thing I would get at the movies whenever I would go as a kid so every time I go now the experience isn't complete without them. It's a nice little nostalgia trip in every cinnamon-y bite.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Programming change I wanna share. I'm removing OHP from my main lifts. My 4th day will now be a "bodybuilding and accessory day."

Also, JL Holdsworth the guy in that setup deadlift video I always link. And owner of "the spot athletics" and member of team elitefts posted on my deadlift video. He told me great job and also assessed my DL exactly the same way I did. I need more glute work. Fucking awesome to get that feed back and it matches my own assessment.

I honestly see 650+ in my near future.

Beast mode Brahlic!

And good luck Sean.

Thanks bud!

Out of surgery!

No lifting for 4-6 weeks :/

Great to hear bro, don't worry the weights will be here when you get back.

Goes without saying, but god dayum.

Happy Father's day, btw.

Happy Father's day to everyone here at Fit-Gaf.

Thanks buddy, you too!

despire

Hey everyone, long time no see. I've been bit by the injury bug and also a promotion so work and my body have been working against me. My wife is pregnant with our first child, due this Fall. I haven't deadlifted in months because I hurt my back.

Does anyone have any recommendations for super abbreviated workouts? I've been getting into the gym at about 4:30 AM. I would like to get out in about 30-45 minutes. Anyone know of any programs that might support this? I've been winging it by working up to a 3RM in the squat, GM, bench and OHP. Squat/Bench on Mon/Thurs and GM/OHP on Tues/Fri.

Reverse Pyramid Training maybe? Or something similar.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Ugh, I need some help here guys. My lifting progress has been sucking ass. My squats, deadlifts, and bench presses aren't even up to my body weight yet. I've seen novices like me and skinnier than me who have progressed much faster and can lift a helluva lot more than me. I almost feel like I have to get back to the basics.

Halp!

ILoveBish

Good to hear the surgery went well sean, im sure you'll be under the bar before you know it.

Going in for squats tonight, getting hyped.

No Love

Banned
Holy shit, has anyone here at FitGAF tried these puppies out?

http://www.questproteinbar.com/

Delicious treats that are healthy, high in protein, and don't taste like shit? A girl I'm talking to works at this place, I'm totally thinking about asking her for a few to try out.

Ugh, I need some help here guys. My lifting progress has been sucking ass. My squats, deadlifts, and bench presses aren't even up to my body weight yet. I've seen novices like me and skinnier than me who have progressed much faster and can lift a helluva lot more than me. I almost feel like I have to get back to the basics.

Halp!

Don't compare yourself to others. Just go at your own pace and constantly strive to improve. Someone posted that training is like a wave with ups and downs.

ILoveBish

370lbs on squats, DONE.

This was the 8th 5/3/1 session in a row of nothing but gains. I love this routine so much.

This is what i hit this cycle:

OHP - 190lbs
Deadlift - 435lbs
Bench - 245lbs
Squat - 370lbs

At this point, as much as i'm addicted to lifting heavier, i'm not going to eat more on gym days to ensure i get my lifts 100%. I'm going to just cut cut cut more then i already do, and no more cheat days for a long time, and get rid of the last of this fat. Then i can eat at maintenance or a little above on gym days. Who knows, i might still hit new pr's even on a deeper cut. Just going to keto on and if i dont hit all my reps, i'll rest more and keep going.

Looking to buy whey for some meal replacement during the week.

What's a decent brand to rely on? There's so many types of whey out there it gets really confusing on what I should buy.

ILoveBish

Looking to buy whey for some meal replacement during the week.

What's a decent brand to rely on? There's so many types of whey out there it gets really confusing on what I should buy.

I use the ON natural since it has no artificial sweetners in it. Normal chocolate.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Starting the lifting plan today (3x a week, cardio 6x a week). Hoping it gets me to lose some fat and put on some muscle. I had lost about 35 lbs as of early last year and let myself put back on some of it. Hoping lifting, cardio, and eating right can get me back down and get my body looking more fit.

It always is hard for me to get in better shape, so hopefully this works!

Starting the lifting plan today (3x a week, cardio 6x a week). Hoping it gets me to lose some fat and put on some muscle. I had lost about 35 lbs as of early last year and let myself put back on some of it. Hoping lifting, cardio, and eating right can get me back down and get my body looking more fit.

It always is hard for me to get in better shape, so hopefully this works!

As long as you progressively add weight, and progressively continue to see positive changes you'll do just fine.

Also, if some time down the line you should work up the interest to join a gym, I'd highly recomend it.

Unless you bring in a full blown squat rack into your home, of course.

JGlJSFr.jpg

Not the worst hotel gym ever. Also an OK pool and hot tub nearby. Dumbbells go up to 50 lbs so I can make do I guess.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
As long as you progressively add weight, and progressively continue to see positive changes you'll do just fine.

Also, if some time down the line you should work up the interest to join a gym, I'd highly recomend it.

Unless you bring in a full blown squat rack into your home, of course.

Yeah, I've debated it, I just like being able to have some time off at night before having to head to bed. I work about 45 minutes away from home, so that puts me home late as-is, so a gym trip would take an hour or more and would leave me with little time to chill out after dinner before hitting the bed again.

I just want to do some basic lifting with the decent gym we have here, and amp up my cardio to try and get myself looking a bit better. If I could just lose this spare tire I've got in part due to genetics (thanks Grandpa) and in part due to poor eating on weekends, I'd be happy.

Though, the girlfriend loves my shoulders, so I should keep those looking good at least. :p

Yeah, I've debated it, I just like being able to have some time off at night before having to head to bed. I work about 45 minutes away from home, so that puts me home late as-is, so a gym trip would take an hour or more and would leave me with little time to chill out after dinner before hitting the bed again.

I just want to do some basic lifting with the decent gym we have here, and amp up my cardio to try and get myself looking a bit better. If I could just lose this spare tire I've got in part due to genetics (thanks Grandpa) and in part due to poor eating on weekends, I'd be happy.

Though, the girlfriend loves my shoulders, so I should keep those looking good at least. :p

In some months reevaluate your decision and figure out if you're still certain about it.

Godspeed.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
In some months reevaluate your decision and figure out if you're still certain about it.

Godspeed.

Will do.

I'm not super overweight or fat by any means, but I do have a nasty spare tire that never seems to want to leave. I like how my shoulders and pecks look, and I have solid thighs and legs, but for the life of me I've never been able to shake my love handles and small pouch on my stomach. I'm hoping some solid lifting and a bunch of cardio will get me moving in the right direction.

For someone looking to finally dedicate time to pull-ups or chin-ups, which do y'all prefer? I can do more chin-ups, of course (and I like that the biceps get some work), but pull-ups probably need more work. I feel obligated to do them because they're harder--should I?

To be clear I'll be following a set routine for whichever one I pick, so I doubt I'll have it in me to focus on both.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
For someone looking to finally dedicate time to pull-ups or chin-ups, which do y'all prefer? I can do more chin-ups, of course (and I like that the biceps get some work), but pull-ups probably need more work. I feel obligated to do them because they're harder--should I?

To be clear I'll be following a set routine for whichever one I pick, so I doubt I'll have it in me to focus on both.

If I had to pick one, pull-ups. But you should hit both hard.

I use the ON natural since it has no artificial sweetners in it. Normal chocolate.

Muscle Pharm Combat is cheap and tastes the best out of all the powders i've tried

I've seen these 2 pushed by GNC and Vitamin Shoppe near me.

As much as I'd be concerned about taste, I just want it to be filling enough that I don't go hungry until time for dinner. I take lunch at 1 PM and workout at 5:30, so I need it to last me until 7 or 8 PM.

If I had to pick one, pull-ups. But you should hit both hard.

Should I put stock into any of the "50 pull-ups" routines, or should I just stick with regular sets across (increasing week to week)? I'm down to hit both exercises but I'm not sure how much of that I can take. My body weight exercises are always pretty weak.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Should I put stock into any of the "50 pull-ups" routines, or should I just stick with regular sets across (increasing week to week)? I'm down to hit both exercises but I'm not sure how much of that I can take. My body weight exercises are always pretty weak.

Are you able to do unassisted pull-ups? Or do you use lat pulldowns?

I would recommend increasing every workout on weight if you're not able to do an unassisted pull-up yet. If you CAN, however, talk to Cooter. Pull-Up King.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
So, in doing lat pulldowns for my workouts, what's better, in front or behind the head? Or switch it up?

Front. You're working up to eventually do unassisted pull-ups and this is normal. Behind the head would make for some weird pull-ups.

Are you able to do unassisted pull-ups? Or do you use lat pulldowns?

I would recommend increasing every workout on weight if you're not able to do an unassisted pull-up yet. If you CAN, however, talk to Cooter. Pull-Up King.

I am able to do 5 chin-ups unassisted for 3 sets but I can't seem to increase that. Should I try to add sets instead of reps or how can I progress?

Cooter halp!

SeanR1221

Finally out of the hospital. I don't think I'll be back to work until Wednesday or even Thursday. Once again I appreciate the support and well wishes. I fear the strength I'm gonna lose but it's a small speed bump in this journey.

Off to get my wii u! Who's got Mario kart around here??

wastewater

Neo Member
Guys help me out, I'm 6'4-5 and i weigh 140 lbs. I want to gain 40-50 lbs but i could use some advice.

Over the last week I've started eating something every 3 hours just to get readjusted, next week I'm going to start tallying my calorie intake and meeting targets. Would 3000 calories a day be enough?

Which foods are essential? I've been eating pasta, tuna, chicken, bananas, whole grain bread, whole milk, dry raisins, cheese etc.

Would just eating as much food as possible every day (if i roughly balanced it out) be a bad idea?

What/amount of exercise should i do? I'm not looking for muscles at the moment, given how skinny i am i want to get to a healthy weight before i do any bodybuilding.

Appreciate any help.

Barzul

Guys help me out, I'm 6'4-5 and i weigh 140 lbs. I want to gain 40-50 lbs but i could use some advice.

Over the last week I've started eating something every 3 hours just to get readjusted, next week I'm going to start tallying my calorie intake and meeting targets. Would 3000 calories a day be enough?

Which foods are essential? I've been eating pasta, tuna, chicken, bananas, whole grain bread, whole milk, dry raisins, cheese etc.

Would just eating as much food as possible every day (if i roughly balanced it out) be a bad idea?

What/amount of exercise should i do? I'm not looking for muscles at the moment, given how skinny i am i want to get to a healthy weight before i do any bodybuilding.

Appreciate any help.

I'd start off at 3500 honestly, maybe 4000 even. Don't just eat anything. Eat healthy, but bigger portions.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Appreciate any help.

Eat even more. Keep eating. And start on the weights. It's not bodybuilding unless you're living a life of insanity and misery. Do strength workouts. Build a base to add muscle onto. Eat. Sleep, Lift. Your body will love it.

Goddamn man I'm 6'7" and approx 270, I can't imagine losing a few inches and over 120 lbs. You should be good to go though, you've got everything all planned out and you sound like you want to eat. Would you like to try a Quesarito from Taco Bell? They're AMAZING.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom