• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pakoe

Not sure why but this is a week where my low numbers are bumming me out.

Saw a scrawny looking kid pull a lot more then I can.
Another person with seemingly less bodyweight and muscle squatted more then I would..
The feels...
3359460-300x300.jpg

Stop comparing yourself to others, nothing good can come out of it.

TylerD

Just ate 2 cups of brown rice, 6 oz of chopped chicken thigh fajita meat with onions, some shredded colby cheese and 4 jumbo eggs with some salsa in a big stainless bowl. Fucking delicious.

Groof

Alright I'm in need of some advice.
I've been doing the beginner workout from the op for something like a year now, it's been going very well for me. However lately, as I've gotten higher and higher in weights I feel like doing squats three times a week is really tiring me out and hampering my recovery.

I'd like some tips and recommendations as to what to do. I've thought of making squats a twice a week thing and switching it out on Wednesdays to some other exercise, but I'm not sure what. What do you all think?

Tawpgun

So I was doing one of those pec fly machines just now, and a little bit into it as It was becoming more strenuous I got this big headache right in the back of my head.

Was it because I went too hard or something? Never had that happen before. I went to a different machine and the pain came back. Decided to just quit the gym early. Gonna go on a run now, hopefully it's just a headache or something...

So I was doing one of those pec fly machines just now, and a little bit into it as It was becoming more strenuous I got this big headache right in the back of my head.

Was it because I went too hard or something? Never had that happen before. I went to a different machine and the pain came back. Decided to just quit the gym early. Gonna go on a run now, hopefully it's just a headache or something...

http://www.webmd.com/migraines-headaches/features/exercise-and-migraines

Cudder

Could be a exertion headache, though I think it's pretty unusual to get from training chest, though I suppose it's possible. A lot of it has to do with how you're breathing and how much force you're exerting on the reps. I got one once from the leg press machine, and I wanted to die.

I've been doing the beginner workout from the op for something like a year now, it's been going very well for me. However lately, as I've gotten higher and higher in weights I feel like doing squats three times a week is really tiring me out and hampering my recovery.

I'd like some tips and recommendations as to what to do. I've thought of making squats a twice a week thing and switching it out on Wednesdays to some other exercise, but I'm not sure what. What do you all think?
OK, here's my real advice: Skip one time on a Friday and then go back to three times a week. If you still feel beaten up, make sure your nutrition and hydration are good. Still gotta drink water on off days.

Hi FitGaf,

Firstly, this thread is awesome and the posts in here are both inspiring and informative, so thanks for that.

I started taking my lifts much more seriously around February of this year, and eating much more in general. My lifts have gotten bigger, and I along with friends/family have noticed a difference in my body (best thing ever is someone saying something along the lines of "you've really filled out"). During the school year I have a wicked meal plan that allows me to eat a lot. Now that it's Summer, I have to cook for myself, which isn't a problem, but I'd like advice on what to eat and what is cheap.
I have a job during the school year, and I've saved for the Summer so I'm able to spend but I don't want to blow it all on food. Normally I eat omelets with ham/cheese/sometimes extra stuff, tuna, chicken, pasta, bagels, and some vegetables like potatoes/carrots. I'm really bad about eating junk food though. I have some extra fat (nothing really noticeable) that I'd like to cut around my stomach/hips.

I read a BIG ON A BUDGET article about spending, and that guy eats way more than me during a typical week lol. I am 5'8" and have gone from 120 to 150 lbs this year. I basically want to start eating in a way that promotes muscle growth and helps me cut some of my fat. I should also start running again...

For reference, I hit the gym 3 times a week, one day for chest/back, one for legs/biceps, and one for shoulders/triceps. Is it wrong to group these together? I'm also considering adding a day just for core work. Any advice is appreciated. You guys rock !!!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Hi FitGaf,

Firstly, this thread is awesome and the posts in here are both inspiring and informative, so thanks for that.

I started taking my lifts much more seriously around February of this year, and eating much more in general. My lifts have gotten bigger, and I along with friends/family have noticed a difference in my body (best thing ever is someone saying something along the lines of "you've really filled out"). During the school year I have a wicked meal plan that allows me to eat a lot. Now that it's Summer, I have to cook for myself, which isn't a problem, but I'd like advice on what to eat and what is cheap.
I have a job during the school year, and I've saved for the Summer so I'm able to spend but I don't want to blow it all on food. Normally I eat omelets with ham/cheese/sometimes extra stuff, tuna, chicken, pasta, bagels, and some vegetables like potatoes/carrots. I'm really bad about eating junk food though. I have some extra fat (nothing really noticeable) that I'd like to cut around my stomach/hips.

I read a BIG ON A BUDGET article about spending, and that guy eats way more than me during a typical week lol. I am 5'8" and have gone from 120 to 150 lbs this year. I basically want to start eating in a way that promotes muscle growth and helps me cut some of my fat. I should also start running again...

For reference, I hit the gym 3 times a week, one day for chest/back, one for legs/biceps, and one for shoulders/triceps. Is it wrong to group these together? I'm also considering adding a day just for core work. Any advice is appreciated. You guys rock !!!

You sound like you're mostly there. Kill the junk food and you'll probably be good. But just to be safe...

Kill junk food
Calculate how much you're puttin' down
Calculate how much you're puttin' out
Think about it and report back here so we can think about it

Your gains are going up which is dope. Your body is changing which is dope. Stay the course, cut out the bullshit, don't run {(unless you reeeeally wanna) and you'll get there, brother/sister.

Groof

WE GOT A LEG DAY SKIPPER HERE
Sorry :'( it wasn't my intention
OK, here's my real advice: Skip one time on a Friday and then go back to three times a week. If you still feel beaten up, make sure your nutrition and hydration are good. Still gotta drink water on off days.
I'll try this advice instead. As for water, I drink several litres every day, always keeping a filled tumbler by my side. Thanks for the advice though!

sphinx

the piano man
Keezy and Darth talking casually about off- and on season BB stuff hyped me up to the max, lol

when I saw the pics in the last page I immediately wanted to hit the gym, learn a lot more about eating, get the best possible BB program and quit making excuses and get just as huge, I don't care at all how long it takes, be it 4 years or 10 years or the entire fucking life, I am not in a hurry.

that is the definition of "inspiring", god I so want it, I know it when I see it.

So today is day 2 of the Iron Sport Method. 10 sets of singles @ 95% 1RM was intense. My rests were 30-60 seconds (no more than a minute because I timed it). I didn't think I had it in me before I started. And each rep was extremely clean.

Sadetar

Oooooh yessssssss. My first ever Quest bars arrived. I ate a half of a one today and holy mother of god those are delicious little things. I also tried to microwave it and I have hard time believing it is not one of those nasties I shouldn't be eating. Now I want to try also at least the apple pie and cinnamon roll too. I got the cookie dough first.

There were also quite many things that I have been waiting since I have runned out or since I wanted to try them out. I would assume it is again a bit easier to be able to bake healthy and hit the right macros with these. Chia seeds and cold pressed hemp oil are pure gold.
tilaus.jpg

Sorry :'( it wasn't my intention

I'll try this advice instead. As for water, I drink several litres every day, always keeping a filled tumbler by my side. Thanks for the advice though!
Awwww, cutie pie, I am fairly sure he didn't mean it to be taken that seriously. :p

Good for you with sticking with it for a year already!

Also like said, make sure you have eaten and have enough energy food wise before hitting the gym. Right macros and so forth. Then again sometimes people just have bad work out days and there is really nothing in it. But yes, if I were you I would first try out what Gallant said earlier on.

You sound like you're mostly there. Kill the junk food and you'll probably be good. But just to be safe...

Kill junk food
Calculate how much you're puttin' down
Calculate how much you're puttin' out
Think about it and report back here so we can think about it

Your gains are going up which is dope. Your body is changing which is dope. Stay the course, cut out the bullshit, don't run {(unless you reeeeally wanna) and you'll get there, brother/sister.
There is plenty of good advices in here. You better actually know what you are eating and also be aware what you need.

The lack of free weights is already killing me inside... But is jogging really that bad? I do it to burn fat and my physiotheraist said it is really good for my back muscles so I do it twice a week for around 45 minutes each time, some of that is interval jogging (and cardio wise I also do around 60 minutes on a crosstrainer per week on top of that, 15 minutes + 15 minutes each time I am at the gym). I also find jogging to be really relaxing.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
So today is day 2 of the Iron Sport Method. 10 sets of singles @ 95% 1RM was intense. My rests were 30-60 seconds (no more than a minute because I timed it). I didn't think I had it in me before I started. And each rep was extremely clean.

This is incorrect. If you're on day 2 you should still be testing 1 rep maxes. 90-95% 1rm X 10 isn't until week 3.

And IMO week 3 is where this program really shines. It's what makes or breaks you.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
The lack of free weights is already killing me inside... But is jogging really that bad? I do it to burn fat and my physiotheraist said it is really good for my back muscles so I do it twice a week for around 45 minutes each time, some of that is interval jogging (and cardio wise I also do around 60 minutes on a crosstrainer per week on top of that, 15 minutes + 15 minutes each time I am at the gym). I also find jogging to be really relaxing.

Nah jogging ain't that bad, but if you wanna do cardio, look into HIIT for an efficient fat loss solution. I fucking hate it and won't do it. Fuck HIIT! FUUUUUCK!

This is incorrect. If you're on day 2 you should still be testing 1 rep maxes. 90-95% 1rm X 10 isn't until week 3.

And IMO week 3 is where this program really shines. It's what makes or breaks you.
ah crap. I picked up the basics from some forum posts around the net I found (buying the ebook on payday)...

http://articles.elitefts.com/traini...ing/strongman-training-the-iron-sport-method/

So I take it the above link is something different or maybe outdated? thanks for your help

rage1973

You can break down squats days into 2 days of hard squatting and one day of backing off and doing lighter weights just to get more volume. Squats is one of those things that will help with more volume.

Really? 30-60 second rests for 90-95% of 1RM? Is that right?
Now I'm not sure haha I asked around on a few forums since I was planning on buying the book this friday. In the article he says to train at a fast pace and when I asked on forums they told me to aim for 60 second rests and quicker if I can manage it.

keezy

Oooooh yessssssss. My first ever Quest bars arrived. I ate a half of a one today and holy mother of god those are delicious little things. I also tried to microwave it and I have hard time believing it is not one of those nasties I shouldn't be eating. Now I want to try also at least the apple pie and cinnamon roll too. I got the cookie dough first.

IMO the cookie dough ones are the best! I wasnt a fan of the double chocolate chip cookie dough or cookies and cream ones. They hyped those two flavors up quite a bit. Make sure you drink a bunch of water when you eat those. I've made the mistake of not drinking enough water and eating a few. Not fun.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
ah crap. I picked up the basics from some forum posts around the net I found (buying the ebook on payday)...

http://articles.elitefts.com/traini...ing/strongman-training-the-iron-sport-method/

So I take it the above link is something different or maybe outdated? thanks for your help

Yeah, that post doesn't give you th correct scope. He's revised it in the book.

Now I'm not sure haha I asked around on a few forums since I was planning on buying the book this friday. In the article he says to train at a fast pace and when I asked on forums they told me to aim for 60 second rests and quicker if I can manage it.

For me I take 2-3 minutes the first 4 or so of those. At 5+ I'm at 5-10 minutes. Those 10 singles should be annihilating you.

With 8-10 being "holy fuck how am I going to get these."

The great thing about this is it builds strength through overload, works on mental toughness and teaches you how to grind.

This is the exact reason when you see me grind my squats/deads so long I don't quit. I've become conditioned because of week 3.

Yeah, that post doesn't give you th correct scope. He's revised it in the book.

For me I take 2-3 minutes the first 4 or so of those. At 5+ I'm at 5-10 minutes. Those 10 singles should be annihilating you.

The great thing about this is it builds strength through overload, works on mental toughness and teaches you how to grind.

This is the exact reason when you see me grind my squats/deads so long I don't quit. I've become conditioned because of week 3.
awesome thank you man. I'm gonna go ahead and buy the book now then. Screw it.

I tested my 1rm's last week and used those numbers. But it had been so long since I tested them I think I wore myself out getting there. I used 280 as my 95% today because I hit 295 last week on bench and failed at 300.

I'm sure I'll be coming back to you after I read the book since you have lots of experience with this program.

the 10 singles today definitely taught me that I am stronger than I thought though. I really thought I wouldn't get past the 4th or 5th one but on the tenth I was fairly easily pushing through still.

Hi FitGaf,

Great contribution! Congrats on your succes, man.

If gaining weight is problematic for you I'd discard cardio, and focus on healthy weightgain. Cardio could complicate your muscle/weight gain proces.

Imo, I agree with Vince' suggestion regarding junk food. Remove it from your diet. Atm junk food are worthless calories for your goal. Focus on nutritional value. Prioritise on high protein, healthy fats and complex carbohydrates.

There are various diets (naturally followed by different & conflicting opinions) to accomodate muscle growth based on your situation. I'd suggest sorting the most common, researching them and rationally decide which one suits your personally.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Baby steps on this DL.

Warm ups then:

425x3x3
435x3x2

Had more but being very deliberate with my weekly increases.

Ashodin

Yeah back from the gym with squats done. Front and back!

Feels good man. no vids though, no way to set the phone in a good location plus no cameramen! Grrr

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
:'(

Wanted 405x10 only got 8. Might be squatting heavy too often, especially with work and all.

I want your squat.

Yeah back from the gym with squats done. Front and back!

Feels good man. no vids though, no way to set the phone in a good location plus no cameramen! Grrr
This is a cop out. You can use a bench, stacked plates, etc to put a camera up against. Man up, record your squats and show them here. That or risk sub par movement patterns that will inherently keep you from ever being strong.

SeanR1221

Still in pain but I'm moving around easier. Still taking Percocet every 2 hours.

The worst part? This horrible shoulder pain. Which is apparently very common for an appendectomy because of the way they fill your stomach with co2 to do the procedure laparoscopicly.

This makes more sense. If you can do 1x10 of your 90-95% RM with 30-60 seconds of rest, then that isn't your 1RM lol.

Still in pain but I'm moving around easier. Still taking Percocet every 2 hours.

The worst part? This horrible shoulder pain. Which is apparently very common for an appendectomy because of the way they fill your stomach with co2 to do the procedure laparoscopicly.

Heh. I remember just being happy to take a shit and piss on my own.

SeanR1221

This makes more sense. If you can do 1x10 of your 90-95% RM with 30-60 seconds of rest, then that isn't your 1RM lol.

Heh. I remember just being happy to take a shit and piss on my own.

Yes! I found a way to pull my pants up on my own, which I was pretty happy about.

It turns out you use your core for a lot of things.

Side note, but No one from fitgaf has a wii u? I want to add some friends

Calibus

Had my first session with a PT tonight. My entire body is on fire. I floundered back and forth from wanting to throw up and passing out. But she was cool -- got me a Gatorade to restore electrolytes and finished what she had planned.

I have elected the way of pain.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Yes! I found a way to pull my pants up on my own, which I was pretty happy about.

It turns out you use your core for a lot of things.

Side note, but No one from fitgaf has a wii u? I want to add some friends
I do! We play under my son's name. Snoopydog2.

Matugi

Cudder

It looks alright but I think you are extending your legs too far forward. Your knees shouldn't be going that far past your toes. It also looks like your weight is shifting onto your toes, which isn't good. You do a good job of pushing back through your heels but you want the weight centered there throughout the lift.

Yeah, I can see that actually. I think it's a byproduct of me moving my feet closer (a change I made in the last couple months or so). I'll try them again with my feet wider apart and see if that fixes things. thanks

Leeness

Hey sweetie, I am glad to hear it is only about appearances. I am sure if you have managed to work out with everything else you will sort this out as well. Just trust yourself and don't care what you may think that other people are thinking.

Also smashing that you managed to find the reason for your extra carbs. Never believe the obvious advertisement text but check the calories and ingredients.

Congraaaaats on working out before work! You're a rockstar! I'd have to get up at 4:30am to work out in the morning haha. Nope.

:)

I'm disappointed in the imitation crab lol. Rude crab :( So tasty but nope.

Ended up doing my strength work out tonight! Really cut down on my time that I needed to cook and stuff but...ah well. :(

I also fought with hip flexor pain on one side. I figured mine out and attributed it to the weight getting forward at the bottom. I fixed the symptoms by sitting back more to get a straight vertical bar path over the midfoot or further back. It's a small margin though. Too forward, my hip flexor gets fucked. Too far back, I lose balance and stumble backward.

Looking at your video, The 1st rep is the best rep, pretty much straight up and down. From then on the bar jumps a little forward at the bottom. It's very slight. Also look at the movement of your shoes when you drop to the bottom.

Things to try: Use the cue "sit back", a wider stance, and "spreading the floor" with your feet to use more posterior chain.

It might be the angle of the camera, but it looks like you're looking up. That's going to make balancing harder. Look slightly down.

I think your knees are also too far in front of your toes because your back angle is too up and down. Stick the butt out more. Looking down will help with that too.

This was the first thing that stuck out to me, ohhthegore, your neck is extended back so far to look up at the ceiling. You don't want to be in extension or flexion but you do want to keep your chin packed and your neck long to maintain a neutral spine position. Eliminating this as a cue is really helpful as it is counterproductive, the weight is on your back not on your head so lifting the head up does nothing. Keeping the chest up is a better cue to build into your muscle patterns. As others have said it will also fuck up your perceptions of balance craning your neck back like that.

I also agree with this.

Well, when you think about it from their perspective it makes the wrong kind of sense. Remember when you had no traps and tried to squat high bar and how it felt like it was resting on your skeleton? Because it was? Man that is uncomfortable. Better look for an external solution made of something soft because damn that feels painful. It can't be me! It can't be me! Etc lol

I suffered through it long enough to almost give up, then I revisited low bar form instruction and everything changed for the better! There is still hope, they just don't know what they don't know.

Although the dude with the mat, yeah he's pretty much out of luck for the rest of his life near as I can tell unless there is some massive psychic intervention. I think he needs to be mutated by exposure to a specific range of electromagnetic pulses to appropriately reset his brainwaves, but I am no doctor.

Wow, please do stick around! Very impressive. I love to see competition grade body builders! There is a local guy who trains in my gym and is trying to go pro and I just told him a month ago how inspiring it was the first time I saw him squat 500 pounds, which was about a year and a half ago. I was six months into my training and feeling pretty good about hitting 2 plates and seeing him do a warmup with 225 and then hit 500 for six was just... absolutely mind blowing. He responded by saying "oh yeah squats have always been my best lift, heavier than my deadlift even" I'm just like d'awwww my herooo!!!

I am sure you will be an excellent contributor to this scene! Got'damn those pics are siiiiiiick, great work keezy!

We got power lifters and body builders and everything in between, oh my!

Thanks for taking the time to watch my form guys, I really appreciate it. You guys are right about the fact that I'm pretty much looking up when squatting. I was having a hard time keeping my chest up and would end up doing squat/good morning hybrids so I started to look up to try and keep my chest up. I'll try and work on just keeping my chest up without looking so far up. Will also try and work on sitting back more. Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom