• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.
^^ What are the odds.

Speaking of, today all three racks we're taken up by girls. Aside from the one doing random stuff with a PT (another girl took her place after), everyone was doing >= 135 on squats.

:( I was doing 135 on squats on Saturday. Now I have goals to work up to lol

6xPm2Sf.jpg

Well, now that's the first time I've ever seen that.

Did you go over to them and offer some advice?

I feel like even with my body not looking stole, I'd feel obliged to go over and offer help.

iddqd

Not sure why but this is a week where my low numbers are bumming me out.

Saw a scrawny looking kid pull a lot more then I can.
Another person with seemingly less bodyweight and muscle squatted more then I would..
The feels...
3359460-300x300.jpg

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Well, now that's the first time I've ever seen that.

Did you go over to them and offer some advice?

I feel like even with my body not looking stole, I'd feel obliged to go over and offer help.
Don't bother. People usually don't take unsolicited advice very well. Everyone is an expert. Just ask them.

Don't bother. People usually don't take unsolicited advice very well. Everyone is an expert. Just ask them.

Well between towel boy on the right for the smith machine and the 2 evolved geniuses using a yoga mat as a cushion for squats, someone HAS to tell them they are doing stupid shit.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Well between towel boy on the right for the smith machine and the 2 evolved geniuses using a yoga mat as a cushion for squats, someone HAS to tell them they are doing stupid shit.
If I spent my time telling people at my gym they are doing stupid shit I would be lucky to get 2 sets in the entire hour I'm there.

My cervical vertebrae cry from that pic. To think I had the bar in the same position years ago and that's why I avoided squats for many years.

I was wondering if anyone can take a look at these squats. It's the exercise that always kills me. Constantly fighting with hip flexor pain. I know the angle isn't the best so I can try and shoot something clearer next time. They are suppose to be low bar squats with 195 pounds. Any help appreciated

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1dFjmU_wHk

I also fought with hip flexor pain on one side. I figured mine out and attributed it to the weight getting forward at the bottom. I fixed the symptoms by sitting back more to get a straight vertical bar path over the midfoot or further back. It's a small margin though. Too forward, my hip flexor gets fucked. Too far back, I lose balance and stumble backward.

Looking at your video, The 1st rep is the best rep, pretty much straight up and down. From then on the bar jumps a little forward at the bottom. It's very slight. Also look at the movement of your shoes when you drop to the bottom.

Things to try: Use the cue "sit back", a wider stance, and "spreading the floor" with your feet to use more posterior chain.

Urgh. I feel like I'm about to have some sort of rotator cuff injury soon. For the last week or so it has been clicking slightly when swimming, but during my bench and OHP there is just an ever so slight pain. Enough to make me flake out on a last rep that I need.

I'm part way into my deload week so hopefully it sorts itself by next week.

Fuzzery

Urgh. I feel like I'm about to have some sort of rotator cuff injury soon. For the last week or so it has been clicking slightly when swimming, but during my bench and OHP there is just an ever so slight pain. Enough to make me flake out on a last rep that I need.

I'm part way into my deload week so hopefully it sorts itself by next week.

My shoulders been fucking me up for awhile now. Pain in the rhomboids and in general behind the scapula. Rolling it out with a lacrosse balls only relieves it for a little bit.

I think my chest is disproportionately strong compared to my upper back, so I've been doing rows to try to strengthen them, but been seeing little success. Any suggestions?

sphinx

the piano man
I will never understand people's obsession with putting some fucking foam between the bar and the traps when squatting.

it doesn't serve ANY purpose, not a single one.

Gloves, for example, prevent you from getting calluses, that's a legitimate reason for some. If you want nice hands, you may have an excuse to use them but towels, foams, and any other shit there.... I don't have marks, calluses, injuries, there's NOTHING on my traps,

if people want to avoid "the burn", then fucking deload or even better: man up!

I don't understand.

monome

I will never understand people's obsession with putting some fucking foam between the bar and the traps when squatting.

Gloves, for example, prevent you from getting calluses, that's a legitimate reason for some. If you want nice hands, you may have an excuse to use them but towels, foams, and any other shit there.... I don't have marks, calluses, injuries, there's NOTHING on my traps,

I don't understand.

most people go to the gym for aesthetics purposes. they neither want to man-up nor get marks on their bodies. most will also disappear when hurt rather than switch routines and work on other body parts...

I was wondering if anyone can take a look at these squats. It's the exercise that always kills me. Constantly fighting with hip flexor pain. I know the angle isn't the best so I can try and shoot something clearer next time. They are suppose to be low bar squats with 195 pounds. Any help appreciated

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1dFjmU_wHk

It might be the angle of the camera, but it looks like you're looking up. That's going to make balancing harder. Look slightly down.

I think your knees are also too far in front of your toes because your back angle is too up and down. Stick the butt out more. Looking down will help with that too.

Faiz

I don't understand.

True story - there was a lying down leg press machine at my old gym that had a padded shoulder mounts that went over the traps to push against. Feet pressed against a stationary platform and the upper body in the "harness" moved "up". I'm sure you guys know what I'm talking about. I used it as an accessory set.

Every damn time I used that machine it was painful and left massive stress bruises across my traps. First time my wife freaked out and I had forgotten that I'd used that machine. The second time I figured it out.

But a barbell? Never left a mark once. Yeah it was a LITTLE painful when I was first starting out - I was bony and didn't have the muscular development to properly support it. Most people aren't as underdeveloped as I was back then. I was probably holding it wrong at the time too. But even then, no marks. Now, getting the bar in the right spot is actually really comfortable. If it feels bad and you think you need something between you and the bar, chances are damn near 100% that you are doing it wrong.

I'd love to be able share that experience when I see people doing crazy shit in the gym (when I actually went to a public gym) but Cooter's right; it likely won't do any good. Everyone has read something somewhere online that absolutely guarentees beyond a shadow of a doubt that what they are doing is the key to massive gains and zero injury. :( by the time I quit my old gym I was doing my best to not even look at anyone else in the place unless I was spoken to first.

keezy

Hello Fitness GAF. Haven't really been active in this thread. I saw there was a new OT and figured I'd drop by. I've been having withdrawals from bb.com. I don't want to resort to going back to that forum. I think I'll stick with you guys.

Here's a shot of me before a show last October. I was a middleweight.
image4_zps4c75ec02.jpeg

Untitled.png

Here's a recent pic from my offseason.
ok_zpsbe794612.png

keezy

Welcome keezy and truly impressive stuff man, great job. Glad to have you as I need more BB buddies here. ;)

How long have you been competing?

I did two shows in 2012 and then two shows again in 2013. One show was a natural NPC show and the others were regular NPC shows. I placed top 5 in the natural show which qualifies me for Team U this year. I had a crappy rebound after my last show with being sick and having surgery on my foot. I'm just going to take this year off. I beat the crap out of my body the past two years. Time to grow!

What about you? Are you competing this year? Or already competed?

Pete Rock

It might be the angle of the camera, but it looks like you're looking up. That's going to make balancing harder. Look slightly down.
This was the first thing that stuck out to me, ohhthegore, your neck is extended back so far to look up at the ceiling. You don't want to be in extension or flexion but you do want to keep your chin packed and your neck long to maintain a neutral spine position. Eliminating this as a cue is really helpful as it is counterproductive, the weight is on your back not on your head so lifting the head up does nothing. Keeping the chest up is a better cue to build into your muscle patterns. As others have said it will also fuck up your perceptions of balance craning your neck back like that.

I think your knees are also too far in front of your toes because your back angle is too up and down. Stick the butt out more. Looking down will help with that too.
I also agree with this.

I will never understand people's obsession with putting some fucking foam between the bar and the traps when squatting. it doesn't serve ANY purpose, not a single one. I don't understand.
Well, when you think about it from their perspective it makes the wrong kind of sense. Remember when you had no traps and tried to squat high bar and how it felt like it was resting on your skeleton? Because it was? Man that is uncomfortable. Better look for an external solution made of something soft because damn that feels painful. It can't be me! It can't be me! Etc lol

I suffered through it long enough to almost give up, then I revisited low bar form instruction and everything changed for the better! There is still hope, they just don't know what they don't know.

Although the dude with the mat, yeah he's pretty much out of luck for the rest of his life near as I can tell unless there is some massive psychic intervention. I think he needs to be mutated by exposure to a specific range of electromagnetic pulses to appropriately reset his brainwaves, but I am no doctor.

Hello Fitness GAF. Haven't really been active in this thread. I saw there was a new OT and figured I'd drop by. I've been having withdrawals from bb.com. I don't want to resort to going back to that forum. I think I'll stick with you guys.
Wow, please do stick around! Very impressive. I love to see competition grade body builders! There is a local guy who trains in my gym and is trying to go pro and I just told him a month ago how inspiring it was the first time I saw him squat 500 pounds, which was about a year and a half ago. I was six months into my training and feeling pretty good about hitting 2 plates and seeing him do a warmup with 225 and then hit 500 for six was just... absolutely mind blowing. He responded by saying "oh yeah squats have always been my best lift, heavier than my deadlift even" I'm just like d'awwww my herooo!!!

I am sure you will be an excellent contributor to this scene! Got'damn those pics are siiiiiiick, great work keezy!

We got power lifters and body builders and everything in between, oh my!

How long have you been training?

That's an impressive physique.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Goddamn keezy! Welcome, goddammit welcome! Stick with us my friend.

keezy

How long have you been training?

That's an impressive physique.

Thanks. I just turned 24. I started lifting in high school for hockey. But I started focusing on bodybuilding when I was in college. I hated drinking so when everybody was partying I was hiding in the gym :p Plus I always needed to blow off some steam after class.

Goddamn keezy! Welcome, goddammit welcome! Stick with us my friend.

Thanks! Will do!

HiResDes

Guys I gained weight after my girlfriend got pregnant, about fifteen pounds worth...And I've been hitting the gym quite a lot, running about two miles a day and then followed with about 45 minutes of weight lifting. I've been working pretty hard for over a month now and although my stomach has gone back almost to it's original size I think I actually gained another pound. I feel stronger and my arms and chest look bigger, but I wanted to get ripped not the sort of bulk I've now acquired.

Should I dedicate more time to cardio to decrease bulk? Should I be eating less proteins, and more veggies?

Zoe

Guys I gained weight after my girlfriend got pregnant, about fifteen pounds worth...And I've been hitting the gym quite a lot, running about two miles a day and then followed with about 45 minutes of weight lifting. I've been working pretty hard for over a month now and although my stomach has gone back almost to it's original size I think I actually gained another pound. I feel stronger and my arms and chest look bigger, but I wanted to get ripped not the sort of bulk I've now acquired.

Should I dedicate more time to cardio to decrease bulk? Should I be eating less proteins, and more veggies?

If you swap the weight lifting and cardio and do the lifting first, it will make the cardio more efficient.

I did two shows in 2012 and then two shows again in 2013. One show was a natural NPC show and the others were regular NPC shows. I placed top 5 in the natural show which qualifies me for Team U this year. I had a crappy rebound after my last show with being sick and having surgery on my foot. I'm just going to take this year off. I beat the crap out of my body the past two years. Time to grow!

What about you? Are you competing this year? Or already competed?
Wow man, great job. To get so far in your bodybuilding journey in just a few years is really impressive. You really look awesome.

I haven't competed, I was going to last year, but I also hit a rough spot and sort of chickened out. I will likely try competing again next summer as I don't think I'll be ready for the show here in November. Soon!

Here are some shots from before I was going to go into contest prep.

Trying to get back to it.

Seriously though, wow. You're on a whole different level. Great work man.

keezy

Wow man, great job. To get so far in your bodybuilding journey in just a few years is really impressive. You really look awesome.

I haven't competed, I was going to last year, but I also hit a rough spot and sort of chickened out. I will likely try competing again next summer as I don't think I'll be ready for the show here in November. Soon!

I think you'd be fine if you started prepping for a show in November. In fact, I'd say you're ahead of the game if you were to start prepping soon. You look really lean.

image4_zps4c75ec02.jpeg

Untitled.png

ok_zpsbe794612.png

Welcome. You look fantastic btw. Seriously, real impressive stuff. Mind sharing your stats? Height and weight? You're off season pic is where I want to be after my cut.

Welcome again dood!

keezy

Welcome. You look fantastic btw. Seriously, real impressive stuff. Mind sharing your stats? Height and weight? You're off season pic is where I want to be after my cut.

Welcome again dood!

I'm 5'10''. Contest weight is 170ish. The offseason pic I'd say I'm around 190.

Daria

I'm 5'10''. Contest weight is 170ish. The offseason pic I'd say I'm around 190.

May be a strange question to wonder about but, what kind of routine do you have in your off season? Around that weight is where I'm looking to be at in the end.

keezy

May be a strange question to wonder about but, what kind of routine do you have in your off season? Around that weight is where I'm looking to be at in the end.

I follow John Meadows mountain dog program. He's got a lot of great exercises on his youtube channel. If it's possible buy yourself some resistance bands. I bought the mountaindog pack from EliteFTS and I love them. It adds a whole different element to certain exercises. Here's the link to his youtube channel(https://www.youtube.com/user/mountaindog1). I'll find certain movements that I like and piece them together for a routine.

Since everyone is postings pics here is mine. I know I don't post as much as others but you guys are an inspiration and I read this thread religiously...

yIjBvDt.jpg

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Since everyone is postings pics here is mine. I know I don't post as much as others but you guys are an inspiration and I read this thread religiously...

Nice traps, good vascularity on that arm I see too. Good shit man. You're doing the work of your life!

Sadetar

I felt like the superhero of my life when I woke up in the morning and managed to hit the gym and do laundry before going to work. Also I walked to the gym through a fucking hail storm like a boss.

At the moment I am pretending to me really active at work and waiting to go to give a presentation to 120 people. Ugh. My boss, it seems, have decided I am a pro.

Relax, it's just a Saturday Night Live parody.
Hahahah, I think I was gaining weight while only watching that. I can feel the fat and salt already in my veins... :p

I have good self-esteem except for appearance. :p It's all good.

Notre Dame! Gotta get to the top!

I know all this. Doesn't change how I feel. :p Been to a few therapists and they helped with other self esteem related stuff, but appearance is something I'll never get over. Ah well.

Anyway, I don't want to clog up this thread with my crazy anymore. Sorry.

Sigh, skipping one more day... Being a girl sucks. I'm hoping I won't feel like poop tomorrow.

Ate some yummy no bean/no diced tomato chili for dinner. Have a giant pot of it, so every dinner for the next few nights lol.

ALSO, I figured out why my carbs were high even without berries. No more imitation crab. Boooooo. I thought "meat! Protein!" but no, imitation crab is like 10g protein and 28g carbs. Boooooooooooooo
Hey sweetie, I am glad to hear it is only about appearances. I am sure if you have managed to work out with everything else you will sort this out as well. Just trust yourself and don't care what you may think that other people are thinking.

Also smashing that you managed to find the reason for your extra carbs. Never believe the obvious advertisement text but check the calories and ingredients.

image4_zps4c75ec02.jpeg

Untitled.png

ok_zpsbe794612.png
I am trying to find the right words to express my thoughts but I would imagine the word wouldn't do you enough justice. I am trying to get my jaw up from the floor.

You have the same muscle defition as those cartoon heroes...

I also love the way you look at the moment. That is quite much perfect.

Oh and Darth, still a huge fan of yours! <3

By the way, out of curiosity why people get fake tans for competitions? Does it somehow show the muscles better or what? I have been thinking about that for some time now.

I am trying to find the right words to express my thoughts but I would imagine the word wouldn't do you enough justice. I am trying to get my jaw up from the floor.

You have the same muscle defition as those cartoon heroes...

I also love the way you look at the moment. That is quite much perfect.

Oh and Darth, still a huge fan of yours! <3

By the way, out of curiosity why people get fake tans for competitions? Does it somehow show the muscles better or what? I have been thinking about that for some time now.

image.php

keezy

If you stand up on stage under all that lightening you'll look "washed out". Even if your shredded to the bone it would hard to see any definition without any color. The added color is supposed to get rid of that.

Funny story on how that tanning process works... You sign up with a company who sponsors the event. My first show I registered with a company to do my tanning. I showed up to the designated tanning room in the hotel. They gave me a sock and told me to go into a tent where they'd apply the tan. I asked them what the sock was for and they told me you put it on your junk for when the person is spray tanning you. Never laughed so hard in my life. Lead to a rather up close and personal experience with girl who was tanning me.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Yes, it does. Visuals.

Sadetar

Poindexter, great work sweetie. Keep it up!

Lol. That quite much sums it up. ;) There might be a reason behind that avatar. :p

Yes, it does. Visuals.
If you stand up on stage under all that lightening you'll look "washed out". Even if your shredded to the bone it would hard to see any definition without any color. The added color is supposed to get rid of that.

Funny story on how that tanning process works... You sign up with a company who sponsors the event. My first show I registered with a company to do my tanning. I showed up to the designated tanning room in the hotel. They gave me a sock and told me to go into a tent where they'd apply the tan. I asked them what the sock was for and they told me you put it on your junk for when the person is spray tanning you. Never laughed so hard in my life. Lead to a rather up close and personal experience with girl who was tanning me.
Ah, that explains it. I think it looks somewhat silly, but if it works I guess it is more alright.

Hahahah, Keezy, I love my mental images about that story of yours. Never even thought of that side of the tanning operation. I am going to look socks in a totally new way.
Hopefully the sock was big enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom