• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

J. Bravo

I was wondering why I had one less thread to read lol. Great op, think it's the first time I've read most of it, and I've been lurking/posting since ot1 haha.

I've been doing alot more chest lately. Probably bench 3x a week, and squat twice a week. And when I do chest, I do back too working well so far. Been eating alot more too since I've been smoking alot more weed lately haha. Went camping and gained 5 pounds but kept my abs somehow, so I'm now at 185!

Cudder

ON Gold Standard 100% Whey is my go-to. Double Rich Chocolate mmm

l_op-1011.png

I'm about to finish off my Mint Chocolate flavour, and I'm thinking of going for the Mocha Cappuccino flavour next. ON Whey is like the Quest Bars of whey protein, great flavours.

Guys help me out, I'm 6'4-5 and i weigh 140 lbs. I want to gain 40-50 lbs but i could use some advice.

Over the last week I've started eating something every 3 hours just to get readjusted, next week I'm going to start tallying my calorie intake and meeting targets. Would 3000 calories a day be enough?

Which foods are essential? I've been eating pasta, tuna, chicken, bananas, whole grain bread, whole milk, dry raisins, cheese etc.

Would just eating as much food as possible every day (if i roughly balanced it out) be a bad idea?

What/amount of exercise should i do? I'm not looking for muscles at the moment, given how skinny i am i want to get to a healthy weight before i do any bodybuilding.

Appreciate any help.

Yes because you may still be undereating. You have to eat more than possible. Plan a diet and stick to it. You will save money and make sure you are eating the calories you need. The food you list is good for starters, if you still need more calories add nuts, they are calorie dense and good.

I'd start off at 3500 honestly, maybe 4000 even. Don't just eat anything. Eat healthy, but bigger portions.
He's eating generally healthy so yes, he needs to eat more. However getting those 3500-4000 calories on healthy foods can be a royal bitch for someone that probably does not eat anywhere near that to begin with.

Basically wastewater, track your diet and how much you eat daily and try to increase how much you eat so you can start putting on weight. If you find you're not hitting the numbers easily, feel free to pad them a bit with high cal foods (fats mostly, fattier cuts of meat, nuts). That's gonna be the biggest struggle, just getting used to eating more.

6'4 and 140? Christ, you must be thin. Me being 6' and 225. Mind boggling.
Please be careful of the tone of your posts. This isn't worded well, in my opinion.

wastewater

Neo Member
6'4 and 140? Christ, you must be thin. Me being 6' and 225. Mind boggling.

I was on a website the other day with a scale, you entered your height and weight and it showed you where you were from underweight-healthy-overweight-obese.

I didn't even show up on the fucking scale.

Cudder

Guys help me out, I'm 6'4-5 and i weigh 140 lbs. I want to gain 40-50 lbs but i could use some advice.

Over the last week I've started eating something every 3 hours just to get readjusted, next week I'm going to start tallying my calorie intake and meeting targets. Would 3000 calories a day be enough?

Which foods are essential? I've been eating pasta, tuna, chicken, bananas, whole grain bread, whole milk, dry raisins, cheese etc.

Would just eating as much food as possible every day (if i roughly balanced it out) be a bad idea?

What/amount of exercise should i do? I'm not looking for muscles at the moment, given how skinny i am i want to get to a healthy weight before i do any bodybuilding.

Appreciate any help.

It all depends on what your maintenance calories are right now. Figure that out, and then bump up your calories by 500. I personally would not arbitrarily just start consuming 4000 calories out of the blue. 6 foot 5 and 140lbs is pretty skinny. Find out what your maintenance is, bump it up 500 cals per day. That in conjunction with a proper training program and you're golden.

Man, I finally started cooking sweet potatoes again as my carb source. WHY DID I EVER STOP?!

Is there a sweet potato pie quest bar yet?

wastewater

Neo Member
Thanks for the advice guys, things is i've got bad social anxiety, mostly because of my physique. I've read you can do a lot of strength training with just dumbbells, could i do a decent workout with those at home?

I don't have the money for the gym anyway if i'm buying all this extra food.

I plan to eat some sweet potatoes too! I saw on the Cooking channel in which all they did was just wrap the sweet potato in aluminum foil and put it in the oven for 45 minutes. Nothing else but damn it, it looked amazing.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for the advice guys, things is i've got bad social anxiety, mostly because of my physique. I've read you can do a lot of strength training with just dumbbells, could i do a decent workout with those at home?

Since you're beginning, you can still do a lot with them. You'll hit plateaus fast though. Adapt what you can do dumbbells, but always keep in mind they're not always going to be the best. Weighted squats, lying tricep extensions, DB bench, all help.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Please be careful of the tone of your posts. This isn't worded well, in my opinion.

Not sure I follow. I have weight to lose (as shown in my previous posts). 6'4 140 is super thin, no matter how you spin it. I wasn't saying he was unhealthy there, just crazy how body types can differ, thus the comparison between him and I.

I was on a website the other day with a scale, you entered your height and weight and it showed you where you were from underweight-healthy-overweight-obese.

I didn't even show up on the fucking scale.

Well I show as overweight, so you're probably a bit healthier than I am at least. :p

I actually envy you being thin, it'll probably be easier for you to start since you have a blank slate. For me trying to lose some weight, then gain muscle has been a pain.

EDIT: Also, unrelated to this, what do you guys eat at work for in-between meal snacks? Should I just get almonds or string cheese or something? As noted I'm more trying to lose weight now.

You can make some gains on them yes, but in home DB workouts are only gonna get you so far. In the llong term a gym investment would do you much better.

Also I have bad social anxiety as well. Being in the gym has done wonders for me actually. Not just in increasing self-confidence, but it's also become quite a social atmosphere for me. It carries on outside the gym as I am much more of a socially engaging person these days.

Anyway, work within your means for now I say, but don't turn yourself off the gym.

Not sure I follow. I have weight to lose (as shown in my previous posts). 6'4 140 is super thin, no matter how you spin it. I wasn't saying he was unhealthy there, just crazy how body types can differ, thus the comparison between him and I.
Oh that's absolutely fine, it was just worded in a way that someone sensitive about their body might take it the wrong way. Sorry if it seemed like I was jumping on your case.

Cudder

You shouldn't have to buy a lot of extra food, especially if it comes down to you not being able to join a gym because of it. Like I said, a 500cal bump in your diet combined with a barbell training program will do wonders. If you buy a ton of extra food and skimp on your program you'll just be putting on a bunch of fat. Not saying you can't progress with dumbbells but like others said you'll stall fast.

Do you live alone or with parents?

If I'm hungry between meals and can't commit to cooking anything, then I'll have almonds or peanuts, a protein shake, or an apple maybe.

I try not to buy these foods though and would avoid them if you're trying to lose weight as well, especially if you have issues with binge eating. Something I definitely struggle with. This is the same reason I don't do meal preps, lol.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
EDIT: Also, unrelated to this, what do you guys eat at work for in-between meal snacks? Should I just get almonds or string cheese or something? As noted I'm more trying to lose weight now.

Don't eat snacks, but if you gotta feed the beast, feed it unsalted almonds.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Do you need to eat snacks?

you should eat at least 6 meals a day, gotta keep the metabolic fire burning constantly and avoid long times without food, that leads to starvation mode

lol

seriously though - Quest bars, boiled eggs, mini Peperamis, ON whey shakes, Total Fage 0%, and only between 1PM and 9PM

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Are you able to do unassisted pull-ups? Or do you use lat pulldowns?

I would recommend increasing every workout on weight if you're not able to do an unassisted pull-up yet. If you CAN, however, talk to Cooter. Pull-Up King.
Is that the pull-up signal I see in the sky? On my way Commissioner McMahon!

How many times are you doing pull ups a week Jimmy? How many can you max out at? How high are you pulling yourself up?

I vastly prefer slightly wide grip pull ups where the bar begins to decent. Other grips are fine too but that one is the sweet spot for me. I don't even do chin ups anymore except in rare instances when I'm doing a 100-150 pull up day with various grips. I feel pull ups are superior in every way except hitting your bis and I'm not too concerned about bis because regular pull ups hit them hard anyway. To improve them you have to do them and do them often. Maybe 3 or 4 times a week in the beginning. It's an explosive movement so pull yourself with some force. None of this controlled slow stuff. When you hit 20 straight add some weight and watch them really take off!

wastewater

Neo Member
You shouldn't have to buy a lot of extra food, especially if it comes down to you not being able to join a gym because of it. Like I said, a 500cal bump in your diet combined with a barbell training program will do wonders. If you buy a ton of extra food and skimp on your program you'll just be putting on a bunch of fat. Not saying you can't progress with dumbbells but like others said you'll stall fast.

Do you live alone or with parents?

Yeah this is where i'll start, i'm going to get some dumbbells and i'll check my calorie intake tommorow. I'm still at home btw.

Regarding the gym Darth, i'm seeing a really good shrink at the moment and our goal is to get me in social situations and be comfortable. It might sound hard to believe but even coming on here and posting is difficult for me, this is progress lol, the gym would be my everest. I'm going to make that my goal i think, sounds like a plan.

Pete Rock

What comes to yoga I have tried it couple times, but wasn't really fond of the person keeping the classes.
It can take a few sessions to find someone that clicks, that's for sure, but I would also suggest acquiring some dvds or videos and following along at home. Then you can build your own routine focusing on a general approach with a few specific movements designed to hit problem (stiff/sore) areas more frequently. Daily yoga practice without having to go anywhere is really beneficial, all you need is some time and a mat!

You look awesome bro
Much appreciated, looking forward to admiring your next round of pics! You have been very inspirational in terms of illustrating the type of build I was looking to attain and I appreciate your contributions.

Guess single digit bf% isn't that far anymore, i can smell it.
Nice work, definitely inching closer to your goal!

Here it is. Deadlift 615lbs. Pulled 605lbs before this with a long ass static hold. Sorry, audio cut out for some reason.
Your feats of strength are so impressive! Congratulations on achieving this personal record, that is absolutely massive!

Never doubt yourself. Your mindset can push you far or hold you back.
Wise words :)

Sup brahs. Warning: long post incoming.
Excellent work, glad to see another dedicated member join the mix! Best of luck on your training, keep chasing that dream.

1x5 315 DL. Feelin' good.
Nice work!

Finally out of the hospital. I don't think I'll be back to work until Wednesday or even Thursday.
Wishing you speedy recovery! Hopefully that organ was the root cause of the issues you were having the last few weeks and when you returns it will be with full force. Rest up and go get 'em!

Man, I finally started cooking sweet potatoes again as my carb source. WHY DID I EVER STOP?!
I plan to eat some sweet potatoes too! I saw on the Cooking channel in which all they did was just wrap the sweet potato in aluminum foil and put it in the oven for 45 minutes. Nothing else but damn it, it looked amazing.
Yes!!! I eat 5 lbs of sweet potatoes every week. Cut the bag open in the sink, rinse and brush them clean. Line a pan with parchment paper. Cut the ends off each sweet potato and then cut it in half across the width. Stand them on the fat end of the cut on the pan, all 5 lbs will fit on an average sized baking sheet. Bake at 400' for 1 hour and they are all absolutely perfect. Cut off the bottom and the top, slice down the side of the skin and it peels right off. Then you can mash em up and mix them with other things or keep them in a separate container. I like to mix them with ground up black beans, black eyed peas and quinoa.

Zoe

It can take a few sessions to find someone that clicks, that's for sure, but I would also suggest acquiring some dvds or videos and following along at home. Then you can build your own routine focusing on a general approach with a few specific movements designed to hit problem (stiff/sore) areas more frequently. Daily yoga practice without having to go anywhere is really beneficial, all you need is some time and a mat!

Doing it at home with a video is really no substitute for a live teacher, especially if you're still learning the moves.

Cooter

You've been cutting for this long and don't do meal preps? Do you just have an idea what you want to eat everyday?
I'll answer for him. Yes he does. When you've went through as many cuts as Darth and I you know roughly what you need to eat and we're pretty damn accurate with our calorie estimation. We know what macros we need and we fill them.

Jhriad

Anyone have any recommendations for good workout headphones? I've got a giant head and I'd prefer no earbuds or in ear headphones. Looked around for some wrap around headphones but it doesn't sound like any of those would fit me very well.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Get better soon Sean!

Wow at Brolic's 615 DL. I'm also curious as to why you're dropping OHP.

Any reason for dropping OHP?

Treating OHP as anything other than assistance for me is asinine. I want to compete in powerlifting. I've talked to 3 big lifters. Brian schwab, JL Holdsworth and Brian Carroll. None of them OHP often or at all. Instead I'm gonna take a page from Brian Carroll's new book and make day 4 an accessory/bodybuilding/bullshit day and see how it goes.

Your feats of strength are so impressive! Congratulations on achieving this personal record, that is absolutely massive!

Thanks man!

How do you cook your sweet potatoes?
As my gas oven is a total crapper, I cook them stovetop. Cut them up into small chunks, put in pan with some olive oil, and just let them sizzle for 20-30 mins. You have to really watch it though, the sugars will burn very quickly if you let it sit.

If my oven worked I would just bake them as fries/wedges and sprinkle cinnamon or salt and pepper. I'm not a fan of whole baked potatoes.

I'll answer for him. Yes he does. When you've went through as many cuts as Darth and I you know roughly what you need to eat and we're pretty damn accurate with our calorie estimation. We know what macros we need and we fill them.
<3 Rock on beastly.

ILoveBish

I see. It's been a little over a year since I've started actually knowing what I'm eating, so I still prep my meals for the week in one day and I eat the same thing everyday to not make things difficult. That would be nice to do what you guys do.

J. Bravo

Working at lifetime fitness makes eating very clean very easy. Generally I skip breakfast and maybe have a shake at the gym when I work. Lunch is one of the meals to go (today is gonna be tuna on some crackers brought, and maybe a sandwich). Then I lift at 4, and either eat at home or get another meal to go. It's kind of expensive but I got nothing else to spend my money on haha. What sucks is when I fuck it all up and go to ihop at 2am...

SeanR1221

Treating OHP as anything other than assistance for me is asinine. I want to compete in powerlifting. I've talked to 3 big lifters. Brian schwab, JL Holdsworth and Brian Carroll. None of them OHP often or at all. Instead I'm gonna take a page from Brian Carroll's new book and make day 4 an accessory/bodybuilding/bullshit day and see how it goes.

Thanks man!

When the ohp is as big as yours it makes sense. Best to focus on the squat, deadlift and bench now that you put close to 300lbs over your head

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Unfortunately their recommendation is iOS only (if you want to be able to use the inline controls) and I've got an Android phone.

Did none of them under The Competition heading sound like a winner for you?

Go_Ly_Dow

Spent my late teen years a socially anxious and depressed mess. I was 5'9-10 (happy with my height) but weighed just 112 pounds and felt pathetic because of it.

Weight lifting has changed my life to be honest. Has done wonders for my confidence, my anxiety and depression is all but gone and I'm incredibly happy these days. Definitely the catalyst for the change along with adopting a new mindset.

I'm still very slim but am now nearly 140pounds and lift above body weight on most lifts. For my small frame and height people can tell the difference and I always get complements. Not gonna stop and the only way is up. It becomes really enjoyable.

So from my experiences and people in our situation it can definitely help. Keep at it!

Pakoe

Thanks guys!
Having two refeed days this week and then it's back to the strict low carb diet again.
Had no idea admin actually lifts, mirin hard.

Cooter

Thanks guys!
Having two refeed days this week and then it's back to the strict low carb diet again.
Had no idea admin actually lifts, mirin hard.
EviLore is the man! Common knowledge in these parts.

Yes!!! I eat 5 lbs of sweet potatoes every week. Cut the bag open in the sink, rinse and brush them clean. Line a pan with parchment paper. Cut the ends off each sweet potato and then cut it in half across the width. Stand them on the fat end of the cut on the pan, all 5 lbs will fit on an average sized baking sheet. Bake at 400' for 1 hour and they are all absolutely perfect. Cut off the bottom and the top, slice down the side of the skin and it peels right off. Then you can mash em up and mix them with other things or keep them in a separate container. I like to mix them with ground up black beans, black eyed peas and quinoa.

Sounds fantastic. I love the skin though so I will just eat those instead of peeling it.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Any good app suggestions (iOS) for me to add my workout schedule and be able to add the weight I did for each lift every time I go (3x a week)?

rage1973

Is there a sweet potato pie quest bar yet?

Sweet potato and purple yams are my main source of carbs.
Very easy to make and delicious with some grass fed butter.

Jhriad

Did none of them under The Competition heading sound like a winner for you?

The 'phones were all some mixture of sounds awful, falls off the ears, very expensive, and/or only fully functional on iOS. Not the best comparison list I've seen on The Wirecutter unfortunately. I'll give some cheapo Monoprice phones a shot and we'll see how that goes. Thanks for the link though.

What the FUCK, guys. Can a FitGAF newb get some love? I had no idea. :(

I'm going to convince this girl to load me up on these motherfuckers.

Cookies & Cream, do it.

No Love

Banned
I was wondering why I had one less thread to read lol. Great op, think it's the first time I've read most of it, and I've been lurking/posting since ot1 haha.

I've been doing alot more chest lately. Probably bench 3x a week, and squat twice a week. And when I do chest, I do back too working well so far. Been eating alot more too since I've been smoking alot more weed lately haha. Went camping and gained 5 pounds but kept my abs somehow, so I'm now at 185!

I've noticed that getting high before a workout REALLY makes a huge difference, it's like the best pre workout ever. You can lift more and feel much better doing it for sure.

I just got high for the first time in a month and a half last night and I'm thinking about doing it again for lifting today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom