• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

J. Bravo

Lol man three months isn't a long time. Do you actually look different? I haven't lifted in about two months, just getting back into it this past Wednesday, and people said I didn't lose much size, but I'm clearly smaller. We notice changes to our body more than anyone else because we are checking ourselves out 24/7. At least I am haha.

Also,I forgot how tiring heavy lifting is. Squat 285 3x5, deadlift 315 1x5, and bench 190 3x5. Toast. I need some foooood.

And I saw this guy from my church I haven't seen in years at the gym. Bro is a fucking tank now. He's gained probably 35 pounds of muscle since last I saw him. Goddamn.

Still struggling with my bench press. At this rate my OHP will be at similar numbers soon. I'm pretty sure it's my form because I'm so inconsistent. Sometimes I lift the weight easy other times I struggle. I feel very little activation of my chest and I think my shoulders feel more sore than they should.

Just gotta keep working at it I guess.

Lol man three months isn't a long time. Do you actually look different? I haven't lifted in about two months, just getting back into it this past Wednesday, and people said I didn't lose much size, but I'm clearly smaller. We notice changes to our body more than anyone else because we are checking ourselves out 24/7. At least I am haha.

Also,I forgot how tiring heavy lifting is. Squat 285 3x5, deadlift 315 1x5, and bench 190 3x5. Toast. I need some foooood.

And I saw this guy from my church I haven't seen in years at the gym. Bro is a fucking tank now. He's gained probably 35 pounds of muscle since last I saw him. Goddamn.

brother, I always expect everyone to say I am bigger after a 3 month absence.

I do feel bigger though. Stronger as well. Weight is solid around 255 ish.

abuC

I've been slacking but I'm back, had a lot of nagging injuries as a result of chasing big numbers and couldn't lift as much with the firefighters exam. My shoulders still get fatigued quickly, but my wrist and ankle injuries are gone, no back pain either, gonna start going hard again on Monday. I had been doing pullups/pushups and running to keep busy since I had to take the firefighters exam, but now that's done (might have another one in spring) and I'm going to travel abroad a little so I plan on doing GVT again since that gave me my best results as far as physique is concerned.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Still struggling with my bench press. At this rate my OHP will be at similar numbers soon. I'm pretty sure it's my form because I'm so inconsistent. Sometimes I lift the weight easy other times I struggle. I feel very little activation of my chest and I think my shoulders feel more sore than they should.

Just gotta keep working at it I guess.

I've found it helps to lift your lower back up, keep your ass on the bench. Take a deep breath and tense your body before lifting the weight up and breath through each rep so you have a full breath before every rep.

I've found it helps to lift your lower back up, keep your ass on the bench. Take a deep breath and tense your body before lifting the weight up and breath through each rep so you have a full breath before every rep.

I'll try that. The tensing up and breathing properly each rep is something I know I should work on. It did wonders for my squats. Getting your back into position seems difficult, I kinda figured that bench would be the easiest to get my form right but the opposite is true for me.

ILoveBish

I got a stomach flu or something. Been trying to recover but no appetite and sleep has been bad. I'm feeling a tad better now, let's hope it sticks. Next time I hit the gym will be for 1s week so I need to be at 100%.

theytookourjobz

Has anyone ever had hernia before? I went to a doctor and she diagnosed a hernia in my stomach above my navel (epigastric hernia). I have an appointment in 2 weeks to a surgeon for futher consulting, and she told me to stop lifting (above 7 kg) until then :(

I've had one in the same place for a couple years now. No pain and it hasn't gotten worse. It will never go away but I don't plan on getting it fixed until something changes. I know a couple guys who have gotten the mesh fix done and it's worked out well for them. If you decide to wait, just keep an eye on it.

sphinx

the piano man
I suffered an emotional injury today as I visited my mom and sister and they said I look the same after seeing them last time three months ago

upsetting =/

my friends and family see me once every 6 months when I visit them in Mexico....

I understand your feelings very well, I hate it :(

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
sorry to hear about all the injuries guys, hope for a speedy recovery =/

I suffered an emotional injury today as I visited my mom and sister and they said I look the same after seeing them last time three months ago

upsetting =/
My dad said "your shoulders are definitely getting smaller"

I know I'm losing some muscle, but damn...

My testosterone story is having a bad ending. I'll elaborate more when I'm not on mobile, but I'm no longer on it because it's giving me a very bad side effect with my hematocrit pct.

J. Bravo

brother, I always expect everyone to say I am bigger after a 3 month absence.

I do feel bigger though. Stronger as well. Weight is solid around 255 ish.
Fair enough man. I bet they would notice if you dropped to like 12%bf. You could do it and maintain a lot of strength at that body fat.
My dad said "your shoulders are definitely getting smaller"

I know I'm losing some muscle, but damn...

My testosterone story is having a bad ending. I'll elaborate more when I'm not on mobile, but I'm no longer on it because it's giving me a very bad side effect with my hematocrit pct.
Man I'm very sorry to hear that Vince. Is it anemia related?

GrapeApes

Finally got to a 1000 total but not really feeling celebratory. I failed for the first time last week on the second rep of a 385 squat. Today I just did a single of 395 instead of going for more. Need to get my mojo back. Feels bad man =/

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Well my peeps... I said fuck it and turned these last few days into an entire cheat week! I have no idea what I weigh but I'm swollen and big from water weight right now.

As expected my last set of weighed pull ups at 95 was damn near impossible today!

PBY

Banned
Well my peeps... I said fuck it and turned these last few days into an entire cheat week! I have no idea what I weigh but I'm swollen and big from water weight right now.

As expected my last set of weighed pull ups at 95 was damn near impossible today!
Did the same.

Feel like shit.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick

Same here. Plan on cycling back tomorrow. The workdays make it easier to eat in a structured way.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Man I'm very sorry to hear that Vince. Is it anemia related?

No. My hematocrit is skyrocketing, even after giving 3 pints in blood in a month. I've been given a doctor order to get 1 pint taken every WEEK (yes, week...jeezus) until I'm back at normal levels.

I freaked the fuck out because I got to reading the doctor order, and it said it was mandatory to do because I have Polycythemia Vera. Wait, what's that? *Google* oh fuck a blood cancer? But he was just ensuring I'd have no problem getting it taken care of ASAP.

So the bottom line is I'm giving a pint a week every week until my hematocrit levels are back to normal. I'm at a pretty significant risk of a stroke and heart attack, so I feel like a time bomb and I'm fucking miserable. :(

It's a side effect of the testosterone. Just glad they're keeping an eye on me. The estrogen blocker I'm on is righteous, though. I'm at nearly no estrogen in my system after having elevated levels before the blocker.

Once my blood is back to being "right" - I think I'm ready to put this cardio shit on the shelf and get back to lifting and eating. I don't like feeling weak.

Good luck with everything Vince. That's some scary shit no doubt. Seems like the doctor is doing a good job keeping track of you though. Just follow the protocol and we'll see you back in the gym soon enough.

As for me... Thanksgiving didn't do me too badly. No weight gain that I or my scale can tell. Missed one of my four lifting days last week for the first time in two months, but I just pushed everything back a day and will keep moving along. For the first time in my life I looked in the mirror and felt like I have non-skinny arms. Gonna get a pic update some day for GAF.

SeanR1221

You don't even know, bro.

Thanksgiving: stuffed

Friday: five guys and pizza

Saturday: my sisters party so sandwiches wings and beer

Tonight: city with my wife and Her friends...pizza and Ice cream and cookies for dessert.

_Isaac

Well it's been 5 weeks? since my groin tear/strain and it's still not close to being healed. I can do basic movements, 135lbs squats, and barbell rows now but I really have to concentrate on not bringing the adductors into play or else there's pain.

Yep. Been there. Hopefully, it turns out better for you. [:

NateDrake

I was wondering what type of home workouts people do - mainly looking to do pullups, pushups, crunches, and just the basics. Any routine recommendations?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I was wondering what type of home workouts people do - mainly looking to do pullups, pushups, crunches, and just the basics. Any routine recommendations?

Look into Convict Conditioning, that might be the key to unlock your portals of pain.

Bought a couple boxes of Quest Bars from their website using their Cyber Monday sale... also threw in one of those dumb Quest Pastas they have to see how it tastes just because I'm curious. Nom nom.

Well as for me, i walked a lot in DC this weekend, but i also ate a lot of junk. So im feeling fat but my legs feel swole as fuck. Time to "detox" today with clean eating and deadlifts.

Petrie

Banned
It feels like I'm just not recovering well these days. Little aches and pulls that aren't going away. Back a bit tweaked. Things staying sore longer than I'm used to.

I'm only 29 damn it, this shouldn't happen yet!

Maybe I just need a little time off from PR after PR?

If I wanna do some pull ups and push ups in my cramped little apartment, but I'm too lazy to dress up and going outside because it's raining, what would be a good way to warm up indoors? I don't have a treadmill, a cyclette, nor a jumping cord.

Also, should I buy a cyclette for the sole purpose of warming up?

Matugi

Week off and a ton of thanksgiving food later and 280x3 on bench was a joke. I've got 8 months to compete if I want to grab this state record. Theoretically I'd still have a shot after my 20th birthday but it's a 37 pound difference between the 18-19 record (280) AMD the 20-21 record (317)

ezrarh

Hey guys, just thought I'd stop by and let you know that if you're looking for quality lifting shoes - there's a good deal on Rogue fitness right now for the Adipowers if you've been looking for lifting shoes:

http://www.roguefitness.com/adidas-adipower-weightlifting-shoes-black-scarlet-gray-metallic

50 dollars off - so down to 150 when they're normally 200. I bought a pair a couple months back, kinda wish I had waited but these are great for olympic lifting and squats.

ILoveBish

Vince, after reading what you've written, I'm glad you have doctors that are actually looking out for you so well. You'll be great again, I know this.

theytookourjobz

It feels like I'm just not recovering well these days. Little aches and pulls that aren't going away. Back a bit tweaked. Things staying sore longer than I'm used to.

The older you get, the more you have to pay attention to recovery. Eating right and fish oil helps me a ton. Also sleeeeeeeep.

And if anyone is interested, GNC.com has a pretty awesome sale on C4 right now. 36$ for the 60 serving tubs and they're B2G1 free.

http://www.gnc.com/search/index.jsp?kwCatId=&kw=c4&origkw=c4&f=Taxonomy/GNC/13200328&sr=1

Cooter

Week after week of 3-5RM lifting will indeed leave you with aches and pains. Knowing your numbers and your similar frame to mine I can only tell you it happens to me also and your age is about where it started. Try to manage it. I told you a while ago I start using a belt for DLing around 405 mainly for safety reasons. I don't necessarily need it but I feel it minimizes unneeded soreness and aches. Same principle with squats. Eliminating any unnecessary strain on my back generally leaves me feeling better throughout my body and allows me to continue lifting heavy.

BumRush

Fit-GAF, cardio related question:

I have a Schwinn AirDyne bike (arms and legs both moving) and a treadmill. If I compare 15 minutes of HIIT on the treadmill vs. riding the bike for 15 minutes, running makes me sweat WAY more, yet the bike makes me more sore / exhausted. Is that normal? Which is better for me?

Zoe

Fit-GAF, cardio related question:

I have a Schwinn AirDyne bike (arms and legs both moving) and a treadmill. If I compare 15 minutes of HIIT on the treadmill vs. riding the bike for 15 minutes, running makes me sweat WAY more, yet the bike makes me more sore / exhausted. Is that normal? Which is better for me?

Whichever one gets your heart rate elevated and then lowered more efficiently.

Petrie

Banned
Week after week of 3-5RM lifting will indeed leave you with aches and pains. Knowing your numbers and your similar frame to mine I can only tell you it happens to me also and your age is about where it started. Try to manage it. I told you a while ago I start using a belt for DLing around 405 mainly for safety reasons. I don't necessarily need it but I feel it minimizes unneeded soreness and aches. Same principle with squats. Eliminating any unnecessary strain on my back generally leaves me feeling better throughout my body and allows me to continue lifting heavy.

I'm pretty close to that, this cycle I'll be pulling 395lbs, so maybe it's finally time to at least bite the bullet and get back to using my belt.

Just general soreness doesn't seem to be leaving like it used to though. For instance I did bench/chest last Thursday and today I still feel really sore in my chest. Granted I did incorporate a bit more accessory work than usual, but it never goes beyond 3 days.

Such is getting older I suppose. Nothing I can't manage, just not used to it!

Appreciate the advice though! As always.

Cooter

I'm pretty close to that, this cycle I'll be pulling 395lbs, so maybe it's finally time to at least bite the bullet and get back to using my belt.

Just general soreness doesn't seem to be leaving like it used to though. For instance I did bench/chest last Thursday and today I still feel really sore in my chest. Granted I did incorporate a bit more accessory work than usual, but it never goes beyond 3 days.

Such is getting older I suppose. Nothing I can't manage, just not used to it!

Appreciate the advice though! As always.
Such it is. Fun stuff. Dude, all I do on leg day is squat and a high rep leg press and I'm sore for 4 days. Every single week it feels like I haven't hit legs in a couple months. I don't get it. And yeah, the added accessory exercises you did for chest are likely the culprit.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Looking to get more out of my pushups, so I was looking at rubber bands. Anyone have experience with them? Are they all about the same or is there brands I should look for or avoid?

sphinx

the piano man
The older you get, the more you have to pay attention to recovery. Eating right and fish oil helps me a ton. Also sleeeeeeeep.

being nearly 37, sleep is really what makes the difference. Sadly I rarely sleep more than 7 hours per night, which isn't bad but 10 would be awesome.

Petrie

Banned
Such it is. Fun stuff. Dude, all I do on leg day is squat and a high rep leg press and I'm sore for 4 days. Every single week it feels like I haven't hit legs in a couple months. I don't get it. And yeah, the added accessory exercises you did for chest are likely the culprit.

Yeah on my squat day I do squats and that's it, followed by some arm work. For me squats feel taxing enough.

Cooter

Concrete proof of my week long binge. I can barely latch my belt to the usual hole today. Reality check.

demented

After week and a half of no workouts (trip + few days off when I came back) first day was awesome. Expected to have no energy to do full round or to do with less but increased all my lifts lol. Expecting lot of pain tomorrow :D

Oh and I seem to have fixed my shoulder pain while benching, tucking them in far enough and lifting tiny bit down works well.

Concrete proof of my week long binge. I can barely latch my belt to the usual hole today. Reality check.
I know that feel bro. My belt felt tighter than usual today. Like FallingEdge said its just water weight :(

Also I have to deload on OHP after doing 4 reps on the last set :( :( :(

speaking about OHP, I been doing a lot of different shoulder movements instead. Went back to OHP and did 4x10 @ 155 lbs. Felt solid. I think that if I really tried and wanted to, I can get 1x225 lbs. Just such a strain on my body though.

sphinx

the piano man
Such it is. Fun stuff. Dude, all I do on leg day is squat and a high rep leg press and I'm sore for 4 days. Every single week it feels like I haven't hit legs in a couple months. I don't get it.

This happened to me last week, I did my sets, then went to do some minor stuff and I felt completely exhausted! to the point that when I began leg extensions, which is to me a very taxing exercise, I had to say to myself "I can't, something's wrong, I just can lift any decent weight on this exercise right now"

I assumed I didn't eat or sleet enough so I quit right there... the next 3 days, DOMS like I never felt them... I realized, I actually tried hard on my squat sets! lol I am looking forward to that again.

on another note, today I was finally able to incorporate arnold presses, and my mind was blown, it's a great exercise! seeing the motion in the gif I was a bit skeptic, I thought it was going to be some weird time waster, but far from it, it felt very "compound", like I am actually putting effort. they are here to stay in my routine. Thank you guys for the comments about them from some days ago!!

arnoldsphinx_zpsb7995358.jpg

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
This happened to me last week, I did my sets, then went to do some minor stuff and I felt completely exhausted! to the point that when I began leg extensions, which is to me a very taxing exercise, I had to say to myself "I can't, something's wrong, I just can lift any decent weight on this exercise right now"

I assumed I didn't eat or sleet enough so I quit right there... the next 3 days, DOMS like I never felt them... I realized, I actually tried hard on my squat sets! lol I am looking forward to that again.

on another note, today I was finally able to incorporate arnold presses, and my mind was blown, it's a great exercise! seeing the motion in the gif I was a bit skeptic, I thought it was going to be some weird time waster, but far from it, it felt very "compound", like I am actually putting effort. they are here to stay in my routine. Thank you guys for the comments about them from some days ago!!

arnoldsphinx_zpsb7995358.jpg

Did you cut your pendulous saq out of this picture? It looks like you cropped it juuuust right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom