• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dany

Banned
I've been thinking of switching to my rainbow unicorn tank top on days i lift.

Man, if there was an actual 'cool' toad tank top id' get it,

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
You know people are gonna go "oh! bazinga! I love that show too!" and you get to die on the inside.

Then I get to play dumb and respond with a WTF face. I've seen the show maybe 4 times at most. I only know the bazinga line from promos.

Bowser

Then I get to play dumb and respond with a WTF face. I've seen the show maybe 4 times at most. I only know the bazinga line from promos.

bazinga-the-big-bang-theory-33926500-600-600.jpg

Wolfe

LOL at first I thought he was referencing Freakazoid which I thought was weird because he obviously doesn't say that and it's way too old compared to something like BBT (obviously I don't watch the show myself.)

In closing, I hate squats and they can kiss my (squat booty) ass!

I think I'm having a symmetry problem
jvjL9pGORLKjs.jpg

bottom left side of the pec is rounded while right bottom pec has a definition
I'm left hand dominant

I'm wondering more Decline bench on the Right Pec?

jvjL9pGORLKjs.jpg

I'm left hand dominant

I don't see a difference. To be totally honest, I think you can just continue doing barbell presses and you'll balance out, but I really don't see anything. How long have you been benching and what is your current routine? I can't see any reason why you'd need to focus on one pec.

ACE 1991

Really hard to find motivation in the gym, been lifting pretty darn consistently for two years and I'm still the smallest dude in the gym. Not the weakest, but usually the smallest. I am definitely bigger and more muscular than I was before I started but not really "musuclar." All my friends who started lifting when I did are way bigger and don't watch what they eat to nearly as much as I do. I know everyone in the fitness community is of the mind that if you work and hard eat well you will get the body you want, but I think genetics are a bigger factor than anyone wants to admit and kind of disrupts that narrative.

J. Bravo

At the very least stop whining.
Eh rarely will anyone who lifts be big enough or strong enough, especially when we compare ourselves to others. I vote you stop doing that. It's hard but once you compare only to yourself life is much better.

Also, if you have been focusing on strength this entire time, maybe is time to look up some routines for size gains and strength maintenance.

jvjL9pGORLKjs.jpg

I'm left hand dominant

I honestly can't see a difference. I'm not trying to be a dick here either but i really don't think you're at a point progress wise where you should be worrying about specifically targeting your right or left pec.

sphinx

the piano man
Really hard to find motivation in the gym, been lifting pretty darn consistently for two years and I'm still the smallest dude in the gym. Not the weakest, but usually the smallest. I am definitely bigger and more muscular than I was before I started but not really "musuclar." All my friends who started lifting when I did are way bigger and don't watch what they eat to nearly as much as I do. I know everyone in the fitness community is of the mind that if you work and hard eat well you will get the body you want, but I think genetics are a bigger factor than anyone wants to admit and kind of disrupts that narrative.

you have one body and that's it

you are not getting anybody else's body, the only thing that will happen is that your body will be looking exponentially better as time goes by.

I have a shit body, everything in me is small, everything. I had 11 inche arms and are now above 13 after a bit over 2 years, my legs too have grown some inches but for most other guys all those numbers are shit numbers, nobody cares for arms that measure 11 or 13 inches or legs that go from 19 to 22 inches, those are all misserable measurements but I can't see it that way. I just work and collect my gains, whatever they are.

I am going my very very personal path and I can't let anything deter me from it. I have to reevalute things every now and then and see what I can improve.

try adding new exercises, changing the layout of your routine, do more cardio or less cardio, eat more and better, we should all be researchers of our bodies, and we should be learning new things all the time regarding nutrition, strength, mass building, rest and so on.

head up and keep at it,

Yeah I do, my campus gym is actually very useful, but once I'm finished with this semester though, things won't be as easy.

Unrelated but does anyone have experience working out regularly while having a 3rd shift job? I feel like it would be a hassle since ones sleep schedule would be whacky.

I work 2nd shift, but I feel like my advice will still apply seeing as I do it all at home with no gym membership. You can work out before or after work. If it's legs then I recommend doing it before work if you can get a lot of walking in at work. It helps from feeling too sore the next day. Take up running for cardio. It's great at any time of the day, but I started off at night because I did it after everyone else was in bed. I have a stationary bike that I use as well. I've done that 20 minutes before I go to bed, but if you have the option to go to bed and get more sleep or do more cardio, then take the sleep. Getting at least 8 hours helps your body rebuild and lower your weight the most.

I honestly can't see a difference. I'm not trying to be a dick here either but i really don't think you're at a point progress wise where you should be worrying about specifically targeting your right or left pec.

I'm not. When I looked at the mirror I just saw how they don't look alike.
EDIT: i want to correct it early rather than later. You know like how u treat Cancer when its benign

Sadetar

Damn life has been hectic lately. Indepence day also fucked up my schedules. Why oh why I didn't realize that gym is closed on that day. I was planning to go then since I was thinking I have all the time in the world then and nothing to do. Oh well, no can do. I went today instead. I still can't do Romanian deadlifts with any weight and even the movement with a wooden bar is pure agony. I will have a discussion about what I should do with my physiotherapist on Friday. This better not last long.

Omg forever reply...

Have you seen any improvement in your back? If not, physio soon, right? Just saw your post above and sounds like it's not improved :( Physio soooon.

Lol, I've definitely put a couple pounds back on. It's bad. Eating habits are screwed but there's little point in doing much about it until the Christmas eat-a-thon is done. Still working out so at least I'm maintaining/slowly gaining and not packing the pounds on.

Done my 10 weeks of You Are Your Own Gym. I liked it! I think I'm going to repeat and add cardio back in as well. Two work outs a say (24-36 minutes in the morning YAYOG, 20 cardio kickbox after work, and maybe sprints when it's not winter). Fun!
Yep, physio this Friday. The back is sometimes alright and sometimes annoying as hell. It will get better with time, I know it will.

I am sure you are not giving yourself enough credit about what you have been doing. Even if you haven't been losing weight recently I am sure your body composition is getting better none the less. You looked awesome to begin with so I am confident that you are a total babe at the moment. :D

I am myself quite happy that even if this and last month haven't been as good food wise I haven't been gaining any weight. I am planning to keep this weight till the end of the year and then on January just clean my diet and lose the rest 30-35 pounds to get to my goal.

UTx26Hu.jpg

Low lighting
Angle abuse
Shirt on
Post workout pump
Not a typical bodybuilding pose

I only share the worst possible progress pics, but the best vanity pics. :)
Every time I see a pic of you I am thinking you are as big as humanly possible... and yet you are bigger every time you post something new.

But it didn't phase you and you finished like a boss. I love it.
I was thinking about the same! :D Awesome!

on another note, today I had a nice surprise. I have been measuring my legs with a tape ever since summer 2012 and they have been growing.

it's
Sept 2012, 20 inches,
March 2014, 21,5 inches
December 2014, 22 inches

big guys have 28 in. so that's 6 inches to go, if I get one every one or two years, I'll have massive legs when I am around 45 years old. I can wait lol

I don't like the pics, but it's for the purpose of comparing.

I like this one better even though is kind of cheating (yeah, during leg extension, haha)
You are definitely getting bigger! Good for you! Especially the last photo was very convincing. :p

Talking about measurings, I just got the numbers from my calves. I know I have been cutting, but I still think this is starting to be worrying.

My calves circumference used to be 50 cm / 19,69 inches 10 months ago. Now they are only 44 cm / 17,32 inches. I have lost over two inches from my calves. They are slowly becoming non-existing!

Since I'm practically back in Bulk Smash mode, then green seems to be a good color choice.

Not sure if progress or vanity pics, but here they are anyway.
I really like those pics! You are still huge and definitely looking good in that shirt. Nice colour as well! :D

I don't know much regarding Finland stores, but Amazon.com has it available in eBook format and that is what I'd recommend personally... You can even have it on your phone that way and reference it in between sets when lifting if needed. I think you can use Amazon.com from Finland for eBooks without a problem?
Thanks Soka!

I assume I could have ordered it safely from amazon, but I actually already got the PDF version of the book. :D Chocobro, my man. <3

I think tomorrow I'll receive my Zelda Tank Top, will take pics and report on how it went on the gym.
I am looking forward to this!

I've gotta say, I'm enjoying this bulk so much more than past ones. It feels more disciplined and thus more rewarding. In the past I just ate anything in sight and it was often times empty calories. This time I am counting calories and watching macros. Shit, I'm even weighing my food! Unheard of on a bulk. So far 4,000 seems to be the sweet spot. It's really noticeable in my shoulders/back/chest. I look like a damn tank right now. A mini version of FE if you will!
You need to post photographic evidence of this awesomeness. You better also include that new sweet shirt of yours to them! :p

Patriots7

Hey guys.

Height: 6'3
Weight: 185
Goal: Build cardio. Run a 10K comfortably by May 2015.
Current Training Schedule: 3-4 runs per week; Roughly about a 5K run at a 8:25 pace

I'm getting back into shape after taking 6 years off for college and post-grad finance sedentary lifestyle.
Really want to get my cardio up to a respectable level again. I've began (for the past month) training toward a 10K, but my problem is shin splints in one leg.

I'm perfectly fine up until about 1.5-2.0 miles, and then my left leg just gets excruciating shin splints. I've tried inserts, different shoes, going to a running store, all to no avail.

Any tips? (I used to run track in high school and despite being flat footed, never had problems with shin splints, so I'm not sure what's going on)

Also, despite the fact that I've become to believe that I just can't add mass, is a holistic approach of workouts (incorporating some lifting) better than focusing on cardio exclusively for the next few months, and then adding some lifting?

Thanks and sorry for the long post.

frontieruk

Hey guys.

Height: 6'3
Weight: 185
Goal: Build cardio. Run a 10K comfortably by May 2015.
Current Training Schedule: 3-4 runs per week; Roughly about a 5K run at a 8:25 pace

I'm getting back into shape after taking 6 years off for college and post-grad finance sedentary lifestyle.
Really want to get my cardio up to a respectable level again. I've began (for the past month) training toward a 10K, but my problem is shin splints in one leg.

I'm perfectly fine up until about 1.5-2.0 miles, and then my left leg just gets excruciating shin splints. I've tried inserts, different shoes, going to a running store, all to no avail.

Any tips? (I used to run track in high school and despite being flat footed, never had problems with shin splints, so I'm not sure what's going on)

Also, despite the fact that I've become to believe that I just can't add mass, is a holistic approach of workouts (incorporating some lifting) better than focusing on cardio exclusively for the next few months, and then adding some lifting?

Thanks and sorry for the long post.

TMTS, cut you distance for a while and slowly increase it, from what you've said your return to exercise has been an almost nothing to 3 mile run every other day, it's been a shock to the body, it probably wouldn't hurt to much to give your leg a week's break just to allow some recovery.

As to lifting while doing cardio, anything that strengthens you will only help performance, as to adding mass there are better people in the thread to advise on that.

So back is totally fucked after the other night. I can't even sleep properly, let alone work out. =/

What happened? Oh right, fell and hurt your back in the middle of the night. That's rough man. Alternate ice/heat and rest? Can you take time off from work for a bit to just chill out?

What happened? Oh right, fell and hurt your back in the middle of the night. That's rough man. Alternate ice/heat and rest? Can you take time off from work for a bit to just chill out?

I'm going to skip on the exercise this week at least so that should enable me to recover a bit. Can't skip on work as I'm crazy busy, but as long as this cold clears up (really painful to cough at the mo) then I can manage through it.

GrapeApes

The moment in the gym when you reach the end of your playlist and you hear gym sounds. Nasty. Can't tell if dudes is lifting weights or skeeting. Don't know how people lift without music.

Eklipsis

Long time lurker

Name:Lucky
Height: 6ft
Weight: 220lbs
Goal: gain muscle/strength, lose weight
Current Training Schedule: 3-4 days a week
Current Training Equipment Available: Joined a planet fitness last month/bench at home
Comments: I posted this in the last thread but didn't apply myself. Now I'm ready for a lifestyle change. Time to whip my fatass into shape. I joined Planet Fitness last month and completely stopped drinking pop (2weeks so far) I used to drink probably a 2liter a day or around 1k calories a day.

My routine right now: Upper/lower split

Upper days:
30min full body circuit
Bench Press 3sets/5reps
OHP 3sets/10reps
Lat pulls 3sets/10reps
Bent over rows 3sets/10reps
Curls 3sets/10reps
Hammer curls 3sets/10reps
Farmers walk 3-4sets

Lower days

30min full body circuit
Leg press 3sets/10reps
Leg extensions 3sets/10reps
Leg curls 3sets/10reps
Deadlift 3sets/5reps

A few questions:

I had two knee surgeries this year and one when I was in high school so, squats are a little tough to do at the moment. Any other exercises I can do until I gain enough strength to do them (quads are gone)?

Also @planetfitness doesnt allow deadlift or any free barbell exercises although I can do those at home, they do have a smith machine. Any good exercises I can do or how to use it?

Thanks in advanced

Long time lurker

Name:Lucky
Height: 6ft
Weight: 220lbs
Goal: gain muscle/strength, lose weight
Current Training Schedule: 3-4 days a week
Current Training Equipment Available: Joined a planet fitness last month/bench at home
Comments: I posted this in the last thread but didn't apply myself. Now I'm ready for a lifestyle change. Time to whip my fatass into shape. I joined Planet Fitness last month and completely stopped drinking pop (2weeks so far) I used to drink probably a 2liter a day or around 1k calories a day.

My routine right now: Upper/lower split

Upper days:
30min full body circuit
Bench Press 3sets/5reps
OHP 3sets/10reps
Lat pulls 3sets/10reps
Bent over rows 3sets/10reps
Curls 3sets/10reps
Hammer curls 3sets/10reps
Farmers walk 3-4sets

Lower days

30min full body circuit
Leg press 3sets/10reps
Leg extensions 3sets/10reps
Leg curls 3sets/10reps
Deadlift 3sets/5reps

A few questions:

I had two knee surgeries this year and one when I was in high school so, squats are a little tough to do at the moment. Any other exercises I can do until I gain enough strength to do them (quads are gone)?

Also @planetfitness doesnt allow deadlift or any free barbell exercises although I can do those at home, they do have a smith machine. Any good exercises I can do or how to use it?

Thanks in advanced

you can progress pretty far with single leg deadlifts

ACE 1991

you have one body and that's it

you are not getting anybody else's body, the only thing that will happen is that your body will be looking exponentially better as time goes by.

I have a shit body, everything in me is small, everything. I had 11 inche arms and are now above 13 after a bit over 2 years, my legs too have grown some inches but for most other guys all those numbers are shit numbers, nobody cares for arms that measure 11 or 13 inches or legs that go from 19 to 22 inches, those are all misserable measurements but I can't see it that way. I just work and collect my gains, whatever they are.

I am going my very very personal path and I can't let anything deter me from it. I have to reevalute things every now and then and see what I can improve.

try adding new exercises, changing the layout of your routine, do more cardio or less cardio, eat more and better, we should all be researchers of our bodies, and we should be learning new things all the time regarding nutrition, strength, mass building, rest and so on.

head up and keep at it,

Thanks for the response. I guess I'm starting to wonder if two years of dedication and time were worth it for the minimal pay out received.

Szu

Thanks, Sadetar.

Well, I've decided to get back to BB bench press. I've been putting it off for the last three years, ever since my first elbow surgery. I also just about recovered from a rotator injury too.

I didn't really work out on the bench too much. Just kinda wanted to know how everything felt. I got up to 195 before I felt some pain in my right elbow. I should probably invest in a compression sleeve.

All things considered, it's not a bad starting point.

Cooper

Not sure how your upper body strength is at the moment, but the Smith is perfect for inverted bodyweight rows. I've been doing them pretty regularly, adding reps and lowering the bar over time.

Bit-Bit

Anybody here only do calisthenics?

I've been doing them steadily for a few years now. However, if I ever take more than a week off, my strength goes down considerably. Like going from 20 pullups to 12. It's so weird.

leakey

Am 5'11", 165lbs. Started lifting a couple months ago, doing Starting Strength. Am working on 225 for squats, benching 150, deadlift 245. Anything else I should be doing besides pull/chin-ups to get my bench/upper body to catch up? Or should I just keep steadily adding weight wherever as I'm able?

Am 5'11", 165lbs. Started lifting a couple months ago, doing Starting Strength. Am working on 225 for squats, benching 150, deadlift 245. Anything else I should be doing besides pull/chin-ups to get my bench/upper body to catch up? Or should I just keep steadily adding weight wherever as I'm able?

Those are great numbers for only starting a few months ago. I wouldn't worry about trying to make your upper body catch-up; your bench numbers will always be behind your squat and deadlift numbers. How did you learn how to do each lift by the way?

Eklipsis

you can progress pretty far with single leg deadlifts

The deadlift doesn't seem to give me much problem with the knees. Although I need to work on my form a lot...I think I round my back too much, maybe to make up for leg weakness.

I had full knee surgery on my right knee when I was in high school and arthroscopic twice on my left knee this year. The first surgery this year was to repair the follow up one was because of complications. So recovery time was much longer then anticipated. The only one that really bother it are squats (which are close to impossible...even just body weight) and the leg extensions (low weight).

Also wondered about supplements. Right now I'm taking protein via UMP by Beverly International and plan to get some fish oil. Id like something that will help with joints and anything that will help with muscle gain or fat loss.

Petrie

Banned

I'd make sure you are squatting to below parallel, as your squat number seems a bit out of line. Either that or your deadlifts seems low.

Post form videos if possible.

Cooper

Anybody here only do calisthenics?

I've been doing them steadily for a few years now. However, if I ever take more than a week off, my strength goes down considerably. Like going from 20 pullups to 12. It's so weird.

I think a strength dropoff after not working out for a week+ is quite normal, for both calisthenics and lifting weights. Do you get back to your old numbers pretty quickly?

J. Bravo

My friend wants to lift with me tonight. I told him I was gonna squat and he said okay chill. I asked him if he had ever squatted before and he said no. Then he goes "but I've seen it lots of times, I'm sure i can figure it out." This is gonna be interesting. I hope I don't have to waste time teaching him...
He's a pretty good athlete so maybe he will catch on really quick. And we have similar body types which helped me pick up the squat very quickly so we'll see.

Bowser

My friend wants to lift with me tonight. I told him I was gonna squat and he said okay chill. I asked him if he had ever squatted before and he said no. Then he goes "but I've seen it lots of times, I'm sure i can figure it out." This is gonna be interesting. I hope I don't have to waste time teaching him...
He's a pretty good athlete so maybe he will catch on really quick. And we have similar body types which helped me pick up the squat very quickly so we'll see.

fb0.jpg

leakey

Thanks for the feedback. I've spent the past week and a half making sure I was hitting parallel or below for 215 squats (scaled it back to 190 and worked up after realizing I wasn't hitting depth). When I started, the PT at the gym was trying to tell me to not squat below parallel, but I'm trusting that's some BS. I started lifting after a friend lent me Starting Strength and I accompanied him to his gym a couple times. Have been lurking/using this OT for guidance and not deviated from Rips program.

My deadlift is probably low because I haven't tested how much I could actually lift/am still getting comfortable with the form. The other week when I was adding more weight I was pretty sure my form was off. I lift at my work's gym and don't always have the time/space to get the deadlift in. Will hopefully do more experimenting today. Initially I was also really slow to add weight while benching since I took a while to get comfortable and didn't have a spot. Am slowly but surely getting there.

Not had weed in years... also probably far too middle class to actually get it these days without getting arrested / mugged in the process.

MjFrancis

I've tried teaching other friends to squat and it did not work out at all. No idea what the issue is but they cannot even do an empty bar squat with good form. Not looking forward to this night lol.
Too many people lack the strength and flexibility to perform a basic barbell squat with good form. I found that out when I've had people ask me to teach them how to squat. And if you're trying to coach them you have to figure out what the right cues are to get them to squat with proper form. Chest up? Knees out? Heels down? Tighten your back? It all depends on the individual and where they are failing and what they will respond to.

I've had a few unfit people ask me to help them and I've had to tell them that I'd rather they start with bodyweight squats before anything else. I'm not going to even try coaching someone who insists on squatting 135lbs more like a curtsy than a squat. Big egos like that tend to precede injuries.

And if they insist on barbell squatting you can always film them and get a form check from this thread, especially if you can't pinpoint what's wrong with their squats.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Has anyone who has been lifting for a decent amount of time actually *never* experienced any kind of injury or sudden appearance of pain for an extended period of time?

Seems like almost everyone has posted at some point about lower back or shoulder pain.

I've tried teaching other friends to squat and it did not work out at all. No idea what the issue is but they cannot even do an empty bar squat with good form. Not looking forward to this night lol.

A lot of people just don't have the flexibility in their ankles. Definitely start with body weight squats and see if they can even get into a proper squat position with good depth before even approaching the barbell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom