• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chocobro

Ok so I need to fix my diet because I eat a lot of crap. I wanna get back down to 175 ish because I feel pretty heavy and slow at 190. I mean if I could be 190 with no fat and all speedy muscle that would be good. But for now I just need to lose the fat I gained.

I know what foods are good but how do I go about setting up a diet and actually knowing what to eat? When I get my macros, what do I do to fill them each day? What calculator should I use?

I'll be honest, you are better off PMing ILoveBish because I posted a very similar post to this a month or two ago and got pretty much no guidance.

I'm planning to take ILoveBish's approach and eat almost the same stuff every day; I'm planning my meals ahead of time this weekend to start next January when I move. I used this calculator that was linked in the Nutrition thread. I'll be using MyFitnessPal to track my macros; you can input a custom number and also modify your carbs/fat/protein split.

I accidentally put 10 lbs extra on my 3 work sets of incline bench yesterday... and got through each set without horrid form. The best kind of mistake.

SeanR1221

giphy.gif

Awesome

Even more awesome

Update: Been dieting almost four weeks now I've lost a ton of my love handle goodness. My arms are a bit more vascular, but that's about all I've noticed. Here's how I look now vs. about 5 days in.

Probably going to have a cheat meal Sunday. Been feeling pretty worn out of chicken and fish without salt.

The more I look at the pics the more I feel unchanged :/ I do feel a bit different though.

Most awesome. You look great!

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
So I've been tracking my calorie intake with a low carb high fat diet on my non training days and damn, its freakin hard to consume 150-200g of fat. Lots of butter, other dairy, and a whole Avocado got me to 170g. Sitting at 2496 Calories. Sitting st 50g of carbs but that's due to the milk.

SeanR1221

I feel like I've been putting some good size on lately so I figured Id share.

I'm definitely getting a little bloated/doughy but my diet also has a TON of fiber in it so it could be from that.

J. Bravo

I'll be honest, you are better off PMing ILoveBish because I posted a very similar post to this a month or two ago and got pretty much no guidance.

I'm planning to take ILoveBish's approach and eat almost the same stuff every day; I'm planning my meals ahead of time this weekend to start next January when I move. I used this calculator that was linked in the Nutrition thread. I'll be using MyFitnessPal to track my macros; you can input a custom number and also modify your carbs/fat/protein split.

Ok, thank you. I used that calculator and it gave me a split of 260g protein, 165g carbs, and 73g fat on rest days and 260g protein, 312g carbs, 139g fat on workout days. Does that seem right?

I am also going to start January since I'll have some more money saved up and able to buy my own food more consistently.

J. Bravo

yeah I'm fuckin yoked bro. Haven't you seen my TV show?

jk jk real talk tho, I'm like 6' 190 at the moment. Not big at all. I selected 3g protein/1 kg bodyweight. It does seem like a lot lol. Too much?

sphinx

the piano man
You're welcome. It is the truth.

I second guess all the time but then I tell myself "what are you going to do anyway? you have to keep going and just figure out what's wrong and try your best to change it"

I am feeling good lately, more inline with my goals, I think I fooled around too much in 2014 but better days are coming

It's coming Monday. Yeah, it's a compression.

can you get out of compression shirts? they glue to your body! I've seen guys in the loocker room asking friends to help them taking it out :)

Sphinx, this is super cool!!!!

Coincidentally, I'm play LOZ: A Link Between Worlds at the moment.

This tank is on my wish list.

there' different colors and sizes :) and ALBW is a nice great game if the layout of link to the past's overworld is your cup of tea. I am more in the link's awakening camp but I still enjoyed ALBW a lot, charming from beginning to end,

if I have to choose between this and the DS games:

ALBW>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>ST>>>PH

sphinx that tank is cooler than any tank I own and I just got a bunch of Flex Comics tanks.

:D gald you liked it. I also think it fits rather well in the gym enviroment. it's discreet and proper. I kinda dislike anything that has text so this one is perfect.

approved on the tank

now work on it so that you have to get a new one to fit into next year

woah I can't imagine not fitting in it in December 2015 but I think I'll be getting more.of those tanks.

Thing is the IPs I care about are way too niche or don't have some easily recognizable symbols to find them readily available in online stores.

I'd love some old style castlevania thing, not sure what but that's another IP i'd like.

Will have to wait a few more weeks to add any real weight, but I can squat :)

good to hear.

The more I look at the pics the more I feel unchanged :/ I do feel a bit different though.

I know you have your own goals but I echo everyone, you look great on both, discipline pays off.

You a big guy JB? That's a hell of a lot of protein.

I am a rather small guy 5'6 weighting 156 lbs and I only noticed improvement when I started hitting near 180-200 grams a day. 150 didn't cut it, those were "maintaining" numbers in my case.

Not sure what J.B goals are but I've been eating like a horse for the last month and then and only then did I manage to go up 1 lb, maybe 2 in those 3-4 weeks.

jk jk real talk tho, I'm like 6' 190 at the moment. Not big at all. I selected 3g protein/1 kg bodyweight. It does seem like a lot lol. Too much?
Pretty much all the science points to 0.82g / lb (1.8g / kg) being around the limit of what you'll need (assuming you're not juicing). Ultra massive protein intake recommendations are never going to quit though. Too much broscience and too much to be made by the supplement industry. You'll still obviously need to be putting away the total calorie intake required to put on muscle though (via fats / carbs).

You might be a genetic freak that needs more... but the chances are that you aren't.

RoeBear

You're doing great man keep it up. You've got great shape, great size, and you're really lean.

I have the same line of thought though. I can make progress, but unless I look like the ideal physique in my head... I don't take notice of where I've come from no matter how much other people acknowledge it.

Like right now I'm at this happy soft/big but not fat stage. I'm still losing fat, but it's much slower now so the changes aren't always apparent to me. Then couple that with this nagging idea in my head that if I am not shredded, then I'm not in good shape... it's a mess.

Someone told me to train for a show to get my head back in gear, but I'm terrified of the idea.
Yeah even though I've never attained where I would like to be it just clouds my mind, causing me to diminish my progress.

Most awesome. You look great!

crazy how much of a difference a month can make

Your commitment to this diet really shows in these pics. Great job.

ediT: btw roebear just saw your pics. you are pretty much the kind of jacked/yoked/swole i want to be. great progress man.

I feel like I've been putting some good size on lately so I figured Id share.
I'm definitely getting a little bloated/doughy but my diet also has a TON of fiber in it so it could be from that.

I know you have your own goals but I echo everyone, you look great on both, discipline pays off.
Thanks everyone for all the encouraging comments!!

The discipline is easier than I thought, but it's mainly because I'm working front desk at a gym right now (graveyard shift). I don't do much so I can eat every 2/3 hours. Everyone sees me eat so if I eat something bad I usually get scolded lol.

The best part about it is that people will comment about seeing me lift on certain days saying something along the lines of " I would have never guessed that you actually work out". It's my fault though reading my kindle, and playing Vita with a jacket on just means I can't lift...

Ahhhh, had a big dude who competes come up to me at the gym earlier asking for my opinion on face pulls.

He then finished the convo saying that he hadn't seen anyone at the gym big enough to ask for advice, but then I showed up.

Really made my day, lol.

J. Bravo

Pretty much all the science points to 0.82g / lb (1.8g / kg) being around the limit of what you'll need (assuming you're not juicing). Ultra massive protein intake recommendations are never going to quit though. Too much broscience and too much to be made by the supplement industry. You'll still obviously need to be putting away the total calorie intake required to put on muscle though (via fats / carbs).

You might be a genetic freak that needs more... but the chances are that you aren't.

Nope, I'm not a genetic freak, otherwise I wouldn't be asking for advice haha. I'll alter my macros to fit 2g/kg I think. Thanks amigo.

Wolfe

Ahhhh, had a big dude who competes come up to me at the gym earlier asking for my opinion on face pulls.

He then finished the convo saying that he hadn't seen anyone at the gym big enough to ask for advice, but then I showed up.

Really made my day, lol.

Haha right on dude.

Cheers. It's still very painful, I imagine it's going to be screwed for at least another week. I've bumped up my salt and water intake significantly in the last week which I'm hoping should help a bit. I was still getting dizzy as of Monday, but I don't seem to have since.

Being a little more careful about how I stand up though, so that could be part of it! I am at least sleeping a bit better now though.

Body Fortress is dead to me.

I've been using their protein powder because it was the most reasonable price, but the other day I noticed they had a 'new and improved' formula that has 33% less protein.

Beware if you use that brand. I'm moving on after I finish this tub.

Although it's been a really crappy year training wise it feels good to end it on a hight note. I've had an incredibly stressfull year due to relationship issues (which have made me move twice) and changes at work which have caused a lot of extra hours at the office. When you add some small lifting and not lifting related injuries to the mix and a couple of +month long breaks from the training. it's a small miracle I've been able to achieve a couple of PR's recently,

Well, the first PR isn't wasn't what I was aiming for. At the beginning of August, I weighed about 103 kg (227 lb) but a few weeks ago my weight was 112 kg (247 lb) which is the heaviest I've ever been. However, it's not all bad. I think I definitely look more muscular now than in the summer and my strength is up too. Can't weight to cut though...

Anyway, just got back from the gym and achieved one of my training goals this year which was a 150 kg (ca 330 lb) squat. Man it felt nice to achieve that. I would have tried a higher weight if my gym had a proper squatting cage but 150 kg will do for now. Next week I will try my maxes at bench and deadlift and I'm pretty sure my total will be over 450 kg / 1000 lb.

Eklipsis

Really going to have to get my diet in order. In the month of excersize and stop drinking pop for 2 weeks I've managed to GAIN 5lbs WTF! Using the info on the link in OP im writing down all my info ie. calories/protein/carb/fat for rest and workout days. Hopefully I can get it right...

stn

Bros, question. What happens if you maintain your workout regimen but don't take in enough calories, carbs, and protein? I know its not ideal but I don't have the time to ration 5+ meals a day. Is there a simple diet I can follow that will supplement a workout? Thanks so much!

Bowser

Bros, question. What happens if you maintain your workout regimen but don't take in enough calories, carbs, and protein? I know its not ideal but I don't have the time to ration 5+ meals a day. Is there a simple diet I can follow that will supplement a workout? Thanks so much!

Why are you trying to portion out 5+ meals? Meal frequency is not a real thing. Just eat 2-3x a day and eat more at each meal.

SeanR1221

Really going to have to get my diet in order. In the month of excersize and stop drinking pop for 2 weeks I've managed to GAIN 5lbs WTF! Using the info on the link in OP im writing down all my info ie. calories/protein/carb/fat for rest and workout days. Hopefully I can get it right...

Weight fluctuates. I can go up and down 5lbs in a day. Take pictures and go by how clothes feel to get a better idea.

Then you'll probably on a cut (calorie deficit but maintaining strength). If you're also losing a decent amount of strength you're doing it wrong.

You also don't have to do 5+ meals a day. Guys like Cooter eat one giant meal.

J. Bravo

Going through some old pictures on my phone....found this one:

I think that's 165. Wtf guys, I cannot do that anymore. I gotta get back on the strength train. I'm gonna squat today and do shoulders, traps, calves, then on Monday I'm starting 5/3/1 up again. I made hella gains the first time, and I got nothin but time so this should be fun.

ugh and I'm continuing to look through these pictures, and I find some swelfies I took. Goddamn I was a lot bigger than I am now. It's depressing lol. This was all within the last 6-8 months too. FUCK I'm gonna go lift

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

I think that's 165. Wtf guys, I cannot do that anymore. I gotta get back on the strength train. I'm gonna squat today and do shoulders, traps, calves, then on Monday I'm starting 5/3/1 up again. I made hella gains the first time, and I got nothin but time so this should be fun.

ugh and I'm continuing to look through these pictures, and I find some swelfies I took. Goddamn I was a lot bigger than I am now. It's depressing lol. This was all within the last 6-8 months too. FUCK I'm gonna go lift

The good thing about strength and muscle is that it's a lot easier to reclaim what you once had than having to create it for the first time. You'll be back there in no time.

Best shape of my life was when I was 21. Never getting that back though. :(

The guy in the back is Keanu Reeves "Whoooa"-facing, lol. Also, is he wearing fucking heel-less slippers and Christmas socks?

Sorry, I guess that's not the point. You can get back into it man. 6-8 months ago means you could be back to that in less than 6-8 months, in my opinion. Eat, lift, rest. Do it.

Hi, I'm looking for any suggestions on a workout I can follow while I recover from injury.

Height: 5'9"
Weight: 198 lb
Goal: Limit muscle loss during recovery
Current Training Schedule: Was doing Stronglifts 5x5 3 times a week (2 months into program)
Current Training Equipment Available: Full gym

I've been off of Stronglifts for 2 weeks from a strained lower back muscle. My physical therapist has me on a low intensity core strength program and estimates I can resume barbell lifts at reduced weight in 2 more weeks. I don't want to get too out of shape while I recover, and she gave me to the OK to do leg press, curls, and any other isolation exercises that don't work the lower back or abs. I'm not that familiar with iso exercises though. Does anyone know of a simple routine I could follow?

Chocobro

Forgive me FitGAF for I have sinned... I used a Smith machine for squats today :(

Actually I used it to work out if my physio has been way off in his analysis of my squat and why I can't hit depth with body weight squats, my physio has maintained for a few weeks it's my hip flexors, I've had a feeling it's lower down my leg as I have on going knee issues so wondered if it was related, it's not. It's also not my hip flexors.

It's my achilles tendon and ankle dorsiflexion, so FitGAF what stretches are going to help me resolve this please? (Not seeing my physio again until the new year)

I forgot to reply to this and I was reminded by seeing an ankle stretch video in an article lol. Here's something you can do. Really, any variation of that works. My friend would put his foot on a desk and then lean forward like in the video (without the dowel and all cushion). Here are a few more from Bryce Lewis:
Ankle Mobility and one of the Big Ten
DE Deadlift Setup and Lower Body mob (timestamp to the achilles stretch)

You can check out Kelly Starrett and MobilityWOD for more mobility related stuff. Good luck.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Sumo deads are my little bitch. Only my 2nd time doing them and threw up 405x3 and 425x3x3. All beltless and strapless. Not to mention only 2 days after doing traditional deads for the same weight. Come at me sumos!

Its been hard getting in my calories for a surplus because I am starting a new business and on my feet all day working and barley having an appetite. I am pretty much eating at maintenance Monday-Friday. Saturday I go under and Sunday I have been dreamer bulking. Strength is up big time. Is it still possible to make gains with this? All my big lifts are in the 315-335 range on my strength days.

J. Bravo

The good thing about strength and muscle is that it's a lot easier to reclaim what you once had than having to create it for the first time. You'll be back there in no time.

Best shape of my life was when I was 21. Never getting that back though. :(

The guy in the back is Keanu Reeves "Whoooa"-facing, lol. Also, is he wearing fucking heel-less slippers and Christmas socks?

Sorry, I guess that's not the point. You can get back into it man. 6-8 months ago means you could be back to that in less than 6-8 months, in my opinion. Eat, lift, rest. Do it.
Thanks fellas. I'll definitely be back soon. Somehow squatted 275 for sets of 8, 8, and 7. Then had a killer shoulder workout followed by about 30 minutes of stretching and foam rolling. Does foam rolling ever stop hurting?? I found some gigantic knots in my legs between my IT band and left quad. Same with my right pec minor lol. Ridiculous.

Ps- we lift to get huge, usually don't give a fuck what we're wearing lol. Especially late at night when there are few babes and just bros :p

Thanks fellas. I'll definitely be back soon. Somehow squatted 275 for sets of 8, 8, and 7. Then had a killer shoulder workout followed by about 30 minutes of stretching and foam rolling. Does foam rolling ever stop hurting?? I found some gigantic knots in my legs between my IT band and left quad. Same with my right pec minor lol. Ridiculous.

Ps- we lift to get huge, usually don't give a fuck what we're wearing lol. Especially late at night when there are few babes and just bros :p

I just found it really funny is all. The background of photos/videos of people lifting is always the best thing to look at.

Chocobro

It does. Nowadays, my duration of foam rolling is shorter because I don't find many tight areas. I foam roll pretty frequently; every night on my off day, but I might change it to the night after my workouts.

I just found it really funny is all. The background of photos/videos of people lifting is always the best thing to look at.
lol, I hate it when people do this. I swear every picture I upload someone notices something in the background and brings it up. I've gotten so paranoid about it I feel like I have to setup an entire scene just to take something, lol.

Tried whey protein for three days, after becoming vegan four/five months ago; can't do it! It fucked me all the way up! It was lactose-free high quality whey protein too. I don't see myself switching back to whey, or eating meat for that matter.

I suggest everyone try a plant base protein supplement (not soy) for about a week or two. Get a blend, granted hemp protein taste so damn good in Almond Milk original!

You won't get as many grams of protein compared to whey, but to be honest most of us here are probably over doing protein, especially if you eat meat.

You may feel a little better too.

Wolfe

What do you guys think of Rippetoe's standing OHP technique?

Seems a little strange at first, like many of his techniques, but I could definitely see the value in driving the hips forward and back like that.

Thoughts?

I saw this video a while ago but just keep forgetting to try it out one day to see what I think of it. Although maybe now would be the best time since I'm doing low weight on OHP due to a minor hyperextension of my right elbow (from work) that I'm trying to take it easy on. If I remember on Monday I'll post up here and let you with my thoughts.

mellz

If I begin with Stronglift 5x5 or Starting Strength, when should I do cardio? I need to do cardio 2-3 times per week because I'm a soccer referee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom