• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

keiichi

Here's the latest GNC coupon for dem quest bars for those interested:

3106852.attach

**yoink**

Thanks! Much appreciated.

Tater Tot

"My God... it's full of Starch!"
I underestimated just how difficult fitting 4,000 semi clean calories is in a 6 hour window. I topped out at 3,300 yesterday. Going to add some almonds and rice into the mix.

lmfao, I find it hard to do that on my cut at 2100 calories. Can't imagine that.

Not entirely sure what the point is of going all the way clean. As long as you're not eating total shit (artificial colours, trans fats etc) or going too far into carb land (ice cream, dougnuts etc) then there's little reason to worry about it.

Tater Tot

"My God... it's full of Starch!"
I usually follow the protcol of IIFYM (If It Fits Your Macros). I usually eat pretty clean, and generally have a daily nutritional foundation of food to target my protein intake and carbs. Afterwards, I eat a clean dinner and what ever calories are left are fair game for goods like cookies. I combined this with Intermittent fasting and these last 15 lbs have been kind of a breeze to cut. Heres to 10 more, then maintenance.

Not entirely sure what the point is of going all the way clean. As long as you're not eating total shit (artificial colours, trans fats etc) or going too far into carb land (ice cream, dougnuts etc) then there's little reason to worry about it.

Well, eating clean is subjective and depends on how each of our bodies react to food. For some, bread and pastas can be part of a clean diet, for others only keto truly keeps them in check. For me, eating clean is eating whatever I can but only after heavy lifting and avoiding sugars at any other time, which is something I have not been adhering to lately and thus gaining some fat. But damn, it's december and I've been getting all kinds of free food.

Sadetar

I feel like shit and skipped gym today (now I feel both bad and utterly quilty). Even walking hurts like hell cause of the nerve pain. I am so going to die on my working place's Christmas parties tomorrow... or maybe I just go with the "combat boots look so great with this dress and add a bit of attitude to it" solution.

I am sure the back will be fine after some time again. I have fixed it before and I will definitely do it now. I am glad I will meet up with my physiotherapist next week. :)

If you haven't already, I highly encourage you to actually purchase the Starting Strength book (or eBook) and read the descriptions of each major lift very carefully... Read the whole book, really. It will help you quite a lot with your form. I, and many others, made the easy mistake of just watching a YouTube clip of each movement once and then end up doing everything wrong. Just my suggestion, anyway.

Good luck, and let us know if you have any questions. Welcome to FitGAF.
I am so ready to buy it! Can you please share a link to a page that is safe and where I could buy it with reasonable postages to Finland with visa card. ^_^

I was. This is mainly me seizing an opportunity and running with it. At my old age I don't know when or if I'll ever feel this good again. ;)

Trainig felt great today. Had a pb&j and a glass of milk beforehand which is something I never do. The quick injection of 600 calories did its job too. Was cranking numbers close to my peak last summer!
Hahah, you so make yourself sound way older than you really are, granpa. :p

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Eating more is already paying dividends. Pulled 530x2x3 for trap bar deads tonight. Gains be a coming!

______

And I'm practically 50 Sadetar! I have the gray hairs to prove it.

Sadetar

Chocobro was adorable enough to give me a PDF version of SS book! <3 Christmas came early this year. ^_^

And I'm practically 50 Sadetar! I have the gray hairs to prove it.
Oh you. :p You are basicly an young'un still.

My father is 60, but it is impossible to prove him that he would be old and trust me, you are younger than he is. :D

Evo X

Just found this thread, so much stuff on GAF.

So I'm going to try out starting strength. I'm 29, weigh about 12 stone, currently don't exercise at all, have a reasonable but not brilliant diet. Goal would be to gain strength and lose some fat I guess. Going to begin on Monday!

Welcome and Good Luck!

Starting Strength is a great program. I myself started it about 10 weeks ago and have had amazing results.

Leeness

I stretch every day so I am fairly sure that that is enough. :D The pain is still somewhat annoying even though not as bad as it was. I actually on purpose missed one gym session to give it more time to heal. I am going to hit the gym on Tuesday and see how does it feel. I am at the moment being very hopeful. And yeah, physio time is on mid December.

Oh, well I haven't been as strict with the diet as I should have either. I think I need to go it through and recalculate it, since I haven't really done it at all in the past six months or so even if I now weight less than I did back then. I haven't lost any significant weight in the last couple months. I don't stress about it though, since I think it might be just good for the body to get used to this weight... and yes, December will be though. :p

I am also sure you have lost more weight than you think or even if you wouldn't have lost that much, you are definitely more toned and fit now when you have been working out. :D So yeah, I am sure you just don't give yourself enough credit. Plus, it might actually be just good for your body as well not to stress about it and eat a bit more. :)

Omg forever reply...

Have you seen any improvement in your back? If not, physio soon, right? Just saw your post above and sounds like it's not improved :( Physio soooon.

Lol, I've definitely put a couple pounds back on. It's bad. Eating habits are screwed but there's little point in doing much about it until the Christmas eat-a-thon is done. Still working out so at least I'm maintaining/slowly gaining and not packing the pounds on.

Done my 10 weeks of You Are Your Own Gym. I liked it! I think I'm going to repeat and add cardio back in as well. Two work outs a say (24-36 minutes in the morning YAYOG, 20 cardio kickbox after work, and maybe sprints when it's not winter). Fun!

I got my first grey hair when I was 16. I have a small scattering of them now at 26 along with some grey in my beard, but mostly my hair is thinning a bit and probably has been since I was ~18. It's not noticeable yet as far as I can tell to anyone else, but I notice it when I focus and remember what it used to look like.

Summary: Gettin' swole means it doesn't damn well matter what my hair looks like. Gonna shave it all off anyway once I'm at a point where I think "yup, looks like shit."

Matugi

So an MRI is in the near future for my hip. Really really hope I can avoid surgery but considering I am no better than when I started PT while completely avoiding squats, it's not looking promising

So an MRI is in the near future for my hip. Really really hope I can avoid surgery but considering I am no better than when I started PT while completely avoiding squats, it's not looking promising

I think we probably have the same issue so I would be interested in the results of your MRI. I first had chronic hip pain which was mainly exacerbated by squats about five years ago and it took two years to heal.

It came back August and has not gone away since. I recently had a X-ray taken and my hip results came back normal.

I do not think it is muscular, and think it is either chronic illiopsoas tendonitis or maybe referred pain from a SI joint dysfunction (my left SI region continuously gets injured).

UTx26Hu.jpg

Low lighting
Angle abuse
Shirt on
Post workout pump
Not a typical bodybuilding pose

I only share the worst possible progress pics, but the best vanity pics. :)

Cooter

UTx26Hu.jpg

Low lighting
Angle abuse
Shirt on
Post workout pump
Not a typical bodybuilding pose

I only share the worst possible progress pics, but the best vanity pics. :)
Didn't you once say someone told you that your traps are small? If so then that person shouldn't be trusted to walk your dog. Looking great big guy!

Cooter

Pushing big boy weight again!

Flat BB bench 275x4
Incline DB bench 110sx5

Feels great to be healthy.

_Isaac

So this may or may not be a bit of a revelation. Every time I do squats, my groin/hip area kinda hurts whenever I reach parallel. I've been trying to figure out what I was doing wrong for a while. I figured I maybe had to push out my knees a bit more. I started stretching a lot, so I could do that easier. While it helped a little, I still got pain when I reached parallel. I took a look at my foot placement. My feet naturally point outwards a lot. I thought that might be messing up my form. Like my knees were still pointing between where my toes were pointing because my feet just naturally flare out. I started doing a tiny bit of stretching for ankle flexibility, and on my squat I tried to keep my feet almost pointing straight forward and point my knees out. It felt just right. I felt no more pain in the groin area, and I feel like my knees/toes were finally agreeing a bit. I still don't know if I'm doing it perfectly, but it definitely feels better, which just put me in a good mood. I'll keep at it!

J. Bravo

Only doing 3 triples for squat today. 305 was hard. I need more food and a shit ton more rest. Too bad I'm getting neither this weekend, lol.

Didn't you once say someone told you that your traps are small? If so then that person shouldn't be trusted to walk your dog. Looking great big guy!

Jesus Christ @ that arm. Zyzz is weeping in heaven right now.

Awesome, man!!!

You look like a Gears of War character.

Muscles on top of muscles.
Haha, you guys are the best, thanks for the kind words. As always things are a WIP, going to start focusing on strength training here soon. I think I'm big enough.

Chocobro

I wasn't sure if I would want to post this but I found it pretty funny. I've been having terrible luck at my university gym. I commute 45-60 minutes (one-way) every time I want to lift. On Wednesday, I went there and changed only to find out they're closed from 11:30am to 5pm for "lab testing."
I was there until 1pm waiting for my mom and I walked by the gym time to time from 11:30 to 1 and saw no one doing any kind of testing so what the heck.
Yesterday I had to do Wednesday's lifts and just as I started DLing, the fire alarm went off lol. Someone must have panicked because it's finals session.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaGqV1Dl8PQ Alarm goes off at 0:33. Sigh. Luckily we only needed to wait ~10 minutes before being allowed back in because it was cold outside.

Cooter

I wasn't sure if I would want to post this but I found it pretty funny. I've been having terrible luck at my university gym. I commute 45-60 minutes (one-way) every time I want to lift. On Wednesday, I went there and changed only to find out they're closed from 11:30am to 5pm for "lab testing."
I was there until 1pm waiting for my mom and I walked by the gym time to time from 11:30 to 1 and saw no one doing any kind of testing so what the heck.
Yesterday I had to do Wednesday's lifts and just as I started DLing, the fire alarm went off lol. Someone must have panicked because it's finals session.

Alarm goes off at 0:33. Sigh. Luckily we only needed to wait ~10 minutes before being allowed back in because it was cold outside.

But it didn't phase you and you finished like a boss. I love it.

Chocobro

But it didn't phase you and you finished like a boss. I love it.

Hahaha. I wish I actually finished that AMRAP set, but I didn't want to piss off any of the workers and I wasn't sure if it was a legit emergency (every single time it happened, it wasn't). I had to redo the AMRAP set when I was allowed back into the building.

The last time the fire alarm went off, while my friends and I were lifting, some people saw a cleaning lady pull the fire alarm haha. They started to joke that it was Consuela. "Did you pull the fire alarm?" -"No..no."

Cooter

I find myself with newfound enthusiasm now that I'm eating big. Thus, I decided to go do moderate weight traditional deads at a medium rep range 2 days after pulling 535x2x3 trap bar. Jesus I am completely spent. Warmed up to 365x4x8. I'm fried!

sphinx

the piano man
people don't understand me.

yesterday my roomate and his friend were in the kitchen and I was commenting how hard it is for me to gain weight and that I want to aquire more mass in the coming months.

they both looked at me like I am the biggest moron in the world and said "you are insane, who wants to gain weight??" I proceeded to explain that I want to look muscled, (more than whatever I have achieved until now) and they looked at me and said "you are not thin, you have enough mass on you and you look great now, you are a sad case of body dysmorphia".

I changed the topic...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaGqV1Dl8PQ Alarm goes off at 0:33. Sigh. Luckily we only needed to wait ~10 minutes before being allowed back in because it was cold outside.

holy shit dude youre getting big. i remembered your earlier vids from when you just started

Cooter

people don't understand me.

yesterday my roomate and his friend were in the kitchen and I was commenting how hard it is for me to gain weight and that I want to aquire more mass in the coming months.

they both looked at me like I am the biggest moron in the world and said "you are insane, who wants to gain weight??" I proceeded to explain that I want to look muscled, (more than whatever I have achieved until now) and they looked at me and said "you are not thin, you have enough mass on you and you look great now, you are a sad case of body dysmorphia".

I changed the topic...

Tell them:

-What if a child dreamed of becoming something other than what society had intended? What if a child inspired to something greater?

sphinx

the piano man
Tell them:

-What if a child dreamed of becoming something other than what society had intended? What if a child inspired to something greater?

eh, they should mind their own business.

-----

on another note, today I had a nice surprise. I have been measuring my legs with a tape ever since summer 2012 and they have been growing.

it's
Sept 2012, 20 inches,
March 2014, 21,5 inches
December 2014, 22 inches

big guys have 28 in. so that's 6 inches to go, if I get one every one or two years, I'll have massive legs when I am around 45 years old. I can wait lol

I don't like the pics, but it's for the purpose of comparing.

I like this one better even though is kind of cheating (yeah, during leg extension, haha)

1414872029963_zpsdf501275.jpg

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
I got fat after injuring my calf (+200 lbs again at 5'9"), and was basically back at square zero for fitness.

Fuck this shit, no more skipping the gym. I spent about four hours today making sure I got through my SS workout.

Four hours seems extreme, and I'll explain because it leads me to a question.

After completing squats and presses, I needed to move my car due to parking fees. I was in a fasted state and decided to eat a meal, then had to digest and finish power cleans and dips at another gym.

Question: would it be more effective to split SS over six days instead of three? Half of my workout takes an hour, which wipes out most of my free time where I would be otherwise lazy. Just wanted to get an idea on if gain progression is affected by doing the work in the same or different workouts, all else being equal (frequency, rest period for that exercise group, sleep, etc).

_Isaac

The gym fire alarm at my uni once went off while I was showering. I finished super fast. I'm not running out naked. By the time I got out the alarm was done, and nobody had paid it any mind. Also I don't have any footage of it.

Chocobro

holy shit dude youre getting big. i remembered your earlier vids from when you just started
Thanks! Probably all fat though :p
The gym fire alarm at my uni once went off while I was showering. I finished super fast. I'm not running out naked. By the time I got out the alarm was done, and nobody had paid it any mind. Also I don't have any footage of it.
I would hate to experience a fire alarm going off while I was showering. I would probably slip from trying to finish faster haha. Luckily I won't have to deal with fire alarms going off anymore this coming January and onward!

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Im so close.

275 bench.
385 deadlift.
305 squat.

I want that 1000 lbs club before the end of my deployment. One month left to go.

I'm currently at 178lbs body weight.

Chocobro

I'm pretty sad that I only found out a Chinese Weightlifting seminar was being hosted today and tomorrow in NYC at the South Brooklyn Weightlifting Club for Coach Yu Jie, Liao Hui, and Lu Xiaojun. For those who don't know, Liao Hui and Lu Xiaojun are Olympic gold medalists. Would've been a great experience.

I'm also going to be missing Coach Wu Chuanfu's seminar in July/August 2015 at NY (hopefully NYC) because I'll be working on my internship :(

SeanR1221

Im so close.

275 bench.
385 deadlift.
305 squat.

I want that 1000 lbs club before the end of my deployment. One month left to go.

I'm currently at 178lbs body weight.

Very nice numbers.

---

I think my bands are adding more resistance than I estimate.

Deadlifts at 275 were absolutely brutal with the band double wrapped around the bar. Well, first the banded 255 almost flew out of my hands doing double overhand when I got to the top. lol. That was bad.

And at 275 I only managed 5,5,5,3,2 I was just completely gassed after that. No energy whatsoever. I did some cable rows and left.

I will say this. The bands make you sweat like crazy. I was literally soaked in sweat from those deads.

Mr Goldenmyer

Neo Member
I've been meaning to post here but I always forget! Anyways, this past semester I've gotten back into serious lifting. I'm about 5'5 and around 140lb (I use to struggle to even maintain 130 a while ago), for my size I think my numbers are pretty nice. I've also learned the joys of 5/3/1.

Squat 295
Bench 180
Deadlift 295
OHP 120

I feel like my numbers are higher than they actually are but I'm kinda afraid to lift really heavy with no spot after I dropped the bar on my face last year. I'm fairly confident that my squat/deadlift could actually be in the 300s but I'm not ready to try it.

I've been meaning to post here but I always forget! Anyways, this past semester I've gotten back into serious lifting. I'm about 5'5 and around 140lb (I use to struggle to even maintain 130 a while ago), for my size I think my numbers are pretty nice. I've also learned the joys of 5/3/1.

Squat 295
Bench 180
Deadlift 295
OHP 120

I feel like my numbers are higher than they actually are but I'm kinda afraid to lift really heavy with no spot after I dropped the bar on my face last year. I'm fairly confident that my squat/deadlift could actually be in the 300s but I'm not ready to try it.

Do you have access to a power cage? That, in my opinion, is the best way to lift without a spotter.

Mr Goldenmyer

Neo Member
Yeah I do, my campus gym is actually very useful, but once I'm finished with this semester though, things won't be as easy.

Unrelated but does anyone have experience working out regularly while having a 3rd shift job? I feel like it would be a hassle since ones sleep schedule would be whacky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom