• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanR1221

Yeah I do, my campus gym is actually very useful, but once I'm finished with this semester though, things won't be as easy.

Unrelated but does anyone have experience working out regularly while having a 3rd shift job? I feel like it would be a hassle since ones sleep schedule would be whacky.

My wife works 7p-7a. She usually wakes up around 3 and goes to the gym shortly after.

leg day felt off, got 1x5 @ 415 lbs but felt like more was possible, I don't know, body is beat up

UTx26Hu.jpg

Low lighting
Angle abuse
Shirt on
Post workout pump
Not a typical bodybuilding pose

I only share the worst possible progress pics, but the best vanity pics. :)

even_possible_aliens.gif

just amazing dood, seriously looking ridiculous

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Holiday season cuts are miserable! Don't care! Almost 210 in the summer, 186 now, ~170 target. Let's do 180 by 1/1.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Holiday season cuts are miserable! Don't care! Almost 210 in the summer, 186 now, ~170 target. Let's do 180 by 1/1.

Winter cuts separate the men from the boys! Good luck on your journey my friend. I went the opposite direction and should be about 200 lbs by 1/1.

Evo X

Help FitGAF! Lifting has consumed my mind.

Every night when I try to sleep, all I can think about is my next gym session. What exercises I'm going to do, how to improve my technique, how much to raise the weights by.

Then in the day, my main concern is preparing the optimal meals for best nutrition and recovery.

Am I going insane?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Help FitGAF! Lifting has consumed my mind.

Every night when I try to sleep, all I can think about is my next gym session. What exercises I'm going to do, how to improve my technique, how much to raise the weights by.

Then in the day, my main concern is preparing the optimal meals for best nutrition and recovery.

Am I going insane?

No, but you have a lot of unspent willpower. Channel it into something more on top of the fitness regimen, like a sport. BJJ or Muay Thai recommended.

Evo X

No, but you have a lot of unspent willpower. Channel it into something more on top of the fitness regimen, like a sport. BJJ or Muay Thai recommended.

You may be right. I'll look into it. It'd certainly be nice to put this new found strength and energy to use.

How do you balance martial arts and lifting in a typical week though? I would think you would have to sacrifice progression in one in favor of the other.

frontieruk

You may be right. I'll look into it. It'd certainly be nice to put this new found strength and energy to use.

How do you balance martial arts and lifting in a typical week though? I would think you would have to sacrifice progression in one in favor of the other.

They would be complementary so if you do lift, sport, lift you shouldn't have to many issues, the martial arts will improve your cardio, body definition, flexibilty, stamina, while complimenting the lifting with their body weight and pad work outs.

Passed out a couple of nights ago after getting up from bed... no idea what the fuck happened other than suddenly feeling massively dizzy. Next thing I knew was my seriously concerned missus trying to wake me up. Apparently I was slumped in the corner groaning. When I woke up I just assumed I had been sleeping in the corner (I was dreaming at the time, which is very odd) so I was somewhat confused as to why she looked so upset.

Anyway, two things... one, I utterly fucked up my back when I fell. Can't even drive now as turning the wheel is agony. Two, any particular reason this dizzyness seems to be getting worse? The fitter I get the more I seem to suffer from it. It's very odd. Pretty much any time I get up quickly lately things start spinning.

frontieruk

Passed out a couple of nights ago after getting up from bed... no idea what the fuck happened other than suddenly feeling massively dizzy. Next thing I knew was my seriously concerned missus trying to wake me up. Apparently I was slumped in the corner groaning. When I woke up I just assumed I had been sleeping in the corner (I was dreaming at the time, which is very odd) so I was somewhat confused as to why she looked so upset.

Anyway, two things... one, I utterly fucked up my back when I fell. Can't even drive now as turning the wheel is agony. Two, any particular reason this dizzyness seems to be getting worse? The fitter I get the more I seem to suffer from it. It's very odd. Pretty much any time I get up quickly lately things start spinning.

Sounds blood pressure related, probably low, I occasionally get that when I'm dehydrated but I'd imagine you're in a better fluid intake routine than myself so I'd suggest getting yourself to your GP to get checked, as quite a few things can cause that.

theytookourjobz

I'm pretty sad that I only found out a Chinese Weightlifting seminar was being hosted today and tomorrow in NYC at the South Brooklyn Weightlifting Club for Coach Yu Jie, Liao Hui, and Lu Xiaojun. For those who don't know, Liao Hui and Lu Xiaojun are Olympic gold medalists. Would've been a great experience.

I'm also going to be missing Coach Wu Chuanfu's seminar in July/August 2015 at NY (hopefully NYC) because I'll be working on my internship :(

I would love to work with Coach Wu. The before and after technique videos he posts on Instagram are great. And I just want to see Lu in person. He is so insanely jacked for a weightlifter.

Klokov is coming to my gym in March so I guess I'll have to settle for him lol :)

^^^^^^
You guys are hilarious, but we know who the Kryptonians in this thread are.

I'm with ya. My cut has slowed down significantly now that the holidays have hit. I can't resist good food. I'm only at 201 after a month (down from 204). I don't mind though. I should be sub 200 by January easily.

It's just frustrating because this cut would've been over in November if I stuck to my guns.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Went running for the first time since I started my weekly bloodletting and boy, that was a mistake.

Listen to your body folks. That asshole in your head saying "You weak-ass, you're just punking out early" sometimes is totally wrong. I was a slug for the rest of the day and did 1/3rd of what I usually do. I can't wait for this nightmare to be over and get back to the Quesarito Bulk.

Szu

^^^^^^

I'm with ya. My cut has slowed down significantly now that the holidays have hit. I can't resist good food. I'm only at 201 after a month (down from 204). I don't mind though. I should be sub 200 by January easily.

It's just frustrating because this cut would've been over in November if I stuck to my guns.

Similar thing happened to me. I'm hovering around 190 right now. However, I didn't really go for a full cut. Too many factors in my life at the moment to focus on cutting.

Well, maybe one 18 lbs factor in the shape of a newborn boy took up most of my focus.

I'm just trying my best to maintain whatever I have at this moment.

With the shift in colder weather, I'm wearing my long sleeve compression shirts. They keep me warm enough and I guess I looked fine in them.

Since I'm practically back in Bulk Smash mode, then green seems to be a good color choice.

Not sure if progress or vanity pics, but here they are anyway.

^^^^^^

It is crazy to think that you are close to sub 200 but you look that huge. Shows that losing fat and getting cuts make you that much bigger.

Do it up bossman. I will wait till after the holidays to cut down! Honestly, I wouldn't mind having a bit of a gut if my pecs/traps/back grew as fast as the rest of my body. When I get bloated or really start to put on weight, I look like I am pregnant. Gut sticks out so damn far compared to my chest/pecs.

Szu

Do it up bossman. I will wait till after the holidays to cut down! Honestly, I wouldn't mind having a bit of a gut if my pecs/traps/back grew as fast as the rest of my body. When I get bloated or really start to put on weight, I look like I am pregnant. Gut sticks out so damn far compared to my chest/pecs.

That just shows you got dat strong core.

O.v.e.rlord

Banned
Height: 5'10
Weight:220 (was 219 yesterday but football and taco bell happened)
Goal: More definition. and to find out where my chest strength has gone
Current Training Schedule: 5 to 6 time a week 9pm-10:30 or 11pm
Current Training Equipment Available: Personally I only have writs raps (all my other equipment was stolen). I work out at a Golds Gym so a fully equip gym.

Additional information:
Bench Press: 375, (was 400 then back in sep. And I have no clue on what happened)
Squat: I work out at 225 (sets of 10 or more) Can't go higher or I'll agitate a surgical issues. (If you guys really want to know I'll tell you what the surgery was)
Dead lifts: I haven't max out in years but I do 4x5 at 405 (Dead Lifts do not agitate my medical issues like Squats do and I don't know why)

The reason I'm asking for help or advise is why the was a sharp decline in my strength when it comes to my chest area and how would i go about getting it back?

Side Note: I tried to watch some of the "Required Watching" and the following videos were no longer available. Squat, Dead Lifts, Bench Press, and Press.

Height: 5'10
Weight:220 (was 219 yesterday but football and taco bell happened)
Goal: More definition. and to find out where my chest strength has gone
Current Training Schedule: 5 to 6 time a week 9pm-10:30 or 11pm
Current Training Equipment Available: Personally I only have writs raps (all my other equipment was stolen). I work out at a Golds Gym so a fully equip gym.

Additional information:
Bench Press: 375, (was 400 then back in sep. And I have no clue on what happened)
Squat: I work out at 225 (sets of 10 or more) Can't go higher or I'll agitate a surgical issues. (If you guys really want to know I'll tell you what the surgery was)
Dead lifts: I haven't max out in years but I do 4x5 at 405 (Dead Lifts do not agitate my medical issues like Squats do and I don't know why)

The reason I'm asking for help or advise is why the was a sharp decline in my strength when it comes to my chest area and how would i go about getting it back?

Side Note: I tried to watch some of the "Required Watching" and the following videos were no longer available. Squat, Dead Lifts, Bench Press, and Press.

If you're losing strength but still following the same routine then you are not sleeping enough, not eating enough (or eating enough but not a proper amount of each macro nutrient), or gave an underlying health issue. My bet is your diet or sleep schedule has changed recently. Alternatively, if you're lifting heavy as much as six times a week, you may not be giving enough time for your body to recover between lifting sessions.

Matugi

Hit 285x2 on bench today. Technically a 2 rep PR but I'm pissed at myself because the second rep was fine but I got caught in the dead zone on the third rep. Lifted on only having eaten an apple so I feel like I could've gotten the third rep had I lifted in the afternoon. I'll get it next week, then 290x3 after that. Rapidly approaching 300 for multiple reps.

In other news, seeing an orthopod tomorrow. Hoping for good news.

O.v.e.rlord

Banned
If you're losing strength but still following the same routine then you are not sleeping enough, not eating enough (or eating enough but not a proper amount of each macro nutrient), or gave an underlying health issue. My bet is your diet or sleep schedule has changed recently. Alternatively, if you're lifting heavy as much as six times a week, you may not be giving enough time for your body to recover between lifting sessions.

Reading your post has highlighted various things to myself maybe I should have caught on to.

1. Breaks between workout sessions. I love going to the gym. Its like my zen happy place where I go to relax and decompress. I think that going as often as I do may have contributed to this decline in that area. Every other muscle group see to be fine/improving.

2. Diet. I try to eat healthy when my wallet permits it let alone eat. So that could be the problem as well. That I am not eating enough.

Thank you for your input.

I am so ready to buy it! Can you please share a link to a page that is safe and where I could buy it with reasonable postages to Finland with visa card. ^_^

I don't know much regarding Finland stores, but Amazon.com has it available in eBook format and that is what I'd recommend personally... You can even have it on your phone that way and reference it in between sets when lifting if needed. I think you can use Amazon.com from Finland for eBooks without a problem?

I kinda let myself go the past few months (past year tbh) due to a hectic school schedule, but I'm finishing up school this week and I'm super motivated to start up a workout routine again.

When I was working out, I was doing a Starting Strength routine (Squat/Press/Deadlift) and slowly incorporating Power Cleans. I'm planning to do it again and incorporate some running. I actually wanna try doing the split in the OP, but I figure I need to ease my way back before trying it.

I never actually documented my diet, but I feel like it's something I should experience. Typically, I eyeball my intake, so I'm expecting some drastic changes (or changes that need to be made). I definitely want to try drinking more milk. I'm lactose intolerant but it's not as sensitive (I have a feeling I can ease my way back). But, in any case, would drinking lactaid milk, or milk with lactase enzymes, have the same effect as drinking regular milk? I know soy milk isn't the best choice so I'm curious if the former would have an effect.

My goals are to increase my strength and to take off some of the visceral fat I've accumulated (hah). I'll be documenting my progress starting Wednesday, just to keep myself motivated. Gonna be incorporating some basketball-specific workouts as well.

iddqd

Any interesting thing anyone is doing here with their cut?
Just "less carbs, no sugar" or something more?

I'm heavier then I have ever been and I feel that I should cut a bit because I could become to comfortable being chubby. Lifting heavy is a great excuse for me... NO MORE NUTELLA!

O.v.e.rlord

Banned

I'm heavier then I have ever been and I feel that I should cut a bit because I could become to comfortable being chubby. Lifting heavy is a great excuse for me... NO MORE NUTELLA!

I've cut a lot if not all dairy out of my diet and so far i have lost around 10 pounds. Hope that helps (psst its harder than it sounds!! Everything I love to eat has dairy in it)

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I've gotta say, I'm enjoying this bulk so much more than past ones. It feels more disciplined and thus more rewarding. In the past I just ate anything in sight and it was often times empty calories. This time I am counting calories and watching macros. Shit, I'm even weighing my food! Unheard of on a bulk. So far 4,000 seems to be the sweet spot. It's really noticeable in my shoulders/back/chest. I look like a damn tank right now. A mini version of FE if you will!

Bowser

Haven't posted in here in ages (for two reasons: stopped ICF after 12 weeks and switched to more of a BB-style split; and 2, haven't been to the gym in 2 weeks lol). I'm getting ready to start another 12-16 weeks on ICF/Stronglifts type routine (haven't decided if I wanna do 3x5 main lifts with accessory work or just straight 5x5 main lifts, little accessory work).

Anyway, in terms of diets, I'm experimenting with carb cycling, specifically Kiefer's Carb Nite strategy (strict keto except one night a week of going carb crazy). Gonna try that out for a couple of months, and depending on how that goes, might shift into carb back loading (strict keto on off days and during the morning of lift days, heavy carbs post-training).

I didn't wanna jump straight into CBL because from what I can tell it's less of a macros thing and kinda more of a intuition type thing. Basically, to me it seems really easy to fuck up and get fat on haha.

Chocobro

I would love to work with Coach Wu. The before and after technique videos he posts on Instagram are great. And I just want to see Lu in person. He is so insanely jacked for a weightlifter.

Klokov is coming to my gym in March so I guess I'll have to settle for him lol :)
I also would love to work with Coach Wu. Most of the technique I'm following so far are from a series of videos from his previous seminar. It also helps that Kirk from lifthard.com trained with him for 3+ years and has articles on his website for us to read.

Klokov? Lucky! I've watched his videos on YouTube for about 8 months. Hopefully you can get a picture with him for us.

sphinx

the piano man
Szu, you look badass in that shirt. It's a challenge to wear something like that. A bit of a bloat, and you they make you look like shit. You look great!

My bulk efforts are paying off!! for the first time in forever (really, I can't remember when it happened the last time) the scale showed a 72.4 kgs.. I was thrilled. I finally found the trick to bulking, I think.

Like Cooter, I am enjoying it a lot more than my past efforts. I am looking forward to interesting things in January and February. That, together with the legs grwoing make me feel good.

and I am having very nice pumps, I feel my body really stimulated. I love winter, it's great for fitness.

I think tomorrow I'll receive my Zelda Tank Top, will take pics and report on how it went on the gym.

Sounds blood pressure related, probably low, I occasionally get that when I'm dehydrated but I'd imagine you're in a better fluid intake routine than myself so I'd suggest getting yourself to your GP to get checked, as quite a few things can cause that.

Could be blood pressure, wouldn't be surprised. My back is testament to whatever happened though. :(

thomaser

Anyone here doing one-legged squats? Some athletes use them instead of normal squats. Espen Aarnes Hvammen, a Norwegian speed-skater, trains with them because skaters need to be able to kick away strongly with only one leg. This page has a video of him doing 3 reps of 180 kilos. He's since gone up to 210 kilos... I can do 60!

Hiz_95

Anyone here doing one-legged squats? Some athletes use them instead of normal squats. Espen Aarnes Hvammen, a Norwegian speed-skater, trains with them because skaters need to be able to kick away strongly with only one leg. This page has a video of him doing 3 reps of 180 kilos. He's since gone up to 210 kilos... I can do 60!
Until I saw the video I thought you meant pistol squats which would have absolutely blown my mind

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Until I saw the video I thought you meant pistol squats which would have absolutely blown my mind

Same here. I couldn't believe what he was saying, so I immediately clicked the link.

Still impressive stuff, of course!

I used to do these but with the back foot elevated on a Bench. I think it gives a better range of motion.

Nowhere near that much weight though haha. When I stopped I was using about 100kgs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom