• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel best when hitting a muscle 2-3 times per week and I have decent recovery. Also found out that now I prefer doing bench and ohp one after another, I get better form when I'm properly warmed up from the bench presses. But if I added any other shoulder exercises I wouldn't be able to handle them

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I like splitting it up

Deads - OHP - Squat - Bench.

Leaves space between the upper and lower big exercises and gives you plenty of rest only hitting an exercise once a week.

This is what I do and its what allows me to go in 4 times a week. My week ends up feeling great since I utilized most of the days.

I like splitting it up

Leaves space between the upper and lower big exercises and gives you plenty of rest only hitting an exercise once a week.

Same here. I will put in a fifth day usually with front squat, pull ups and other accessory workouts. I don't like only lifting four days a week and this fifth day hits some muscle groups I might not directly target my other day and gives me some other accessory workouts.

sphinx

the piano man
I like splitting it up

This is what I am doing now too.

but when I was looking into hitting a muscle group twice a week I tried to come up with a sensible programm and went with 2 strength days and 3 "bodybuilding" days

Day 1: Deadlift, OHP (just those two, no isolation etc. low rep)
Day 2: Squats, BP (same here, low rep)
Day 3: rest
Day 4: Accessory, High rep Rear Body, (Back, Thighs, calves)
Day 5: Accessory, High rep Upper Front Body (Chest, Shoulders, arm)
Day 6: Accessory, High rep Lower Front body (Quads and abs)
Day 7: Rest

but since I spent most of 2014 injured I never got to see any results, strength days were pointless with how little weight I was able to lift on OHP and BP so bailed out. Probably for the better, I was never very sure off the layout.

Grimløck;143624452 said:
yeah. is there some sort of exercise i can do with those that're like deadlifts?
Well, not really. The first problem is that deadlift is the heaviest of the lifts, so unless you have dumbbells going up to 150lbs., you're going to train up to something far below what you can handle. The second problem is that it's too hard to copy the mechanics. The dumbbells are too short and you can't put them on a platform because your foot is where the platform would go. You also can't hold the weight like you would with a bar because your hands are supposed to be right outside your legs which means the dumbbell plates would be inside your shins.

Whatever you can manage will end up more like a squat than a deadlift.

Sadetar

Gym today wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I didn't do deadlifts and squatting didn't feel at all that bad with low weights. I keep telling to myself that it is better than nothing and at least I can try to get the form in to my muscle memory. It the gym was basicly empty too. It was glorious. Gotta love university gym during holiday season.

sphinx, you are very welcome. :D

I was hoping to break the 300 lb bench barrier today but had to settle for 286,6 lb / 130 kg which equals my PR from January. I was hoping that 286 would feel "easy"and go for 300 after that but 286 felt a bit too heavy. Well, I wasn't feeling that fresh today to begin with so I might have a go at 300 next week.

It's been a roller coaster here but I might shoot you a pm about that later this week. Anyway, it's definitely been a dirty bulk here. I've been eating tons of ice cream, chocolate bars, pizza and all other junk and downed them with Red Bulls. Not good. I will start my cut in January too so looking forward to getting my waist back...

Should have no problems hitting the 1000 lb. I will only need a 170 kg / 375 lb deadlift and my PR is 10 kg more than that. I think I will try it already tomorrow even though I usually have a day off after the chest day. Can't wait.
At least you have been bulking! I have been on a "cut" and I destroyed like one pound of raw ginger bread cookie dough during the last week or so. No wonder I feel totally bloated, even if my weight is the same. Ugh. Thank gods my Christmas food is actually both healthy and delicious (even though I know I am going to eat a bit too much of it), so I am hoping to feel better. Also I kinda wait that it would be January. I love the feeling of eating right and working out. I don't know how I managed to live like this for so long.

Good to see that you are back to be honest. So yes, if you have time just hit me up with a pm and tell me all about that roller coaster ride of yours. :D

I can't say because I used to do them before my workouts, but to do it along with my dynamic warm-ups, it just took too much time. I then changed it to doing them on my off-days and I've been doing that for many months. I haven't tried doing my massages and foam rolling during the workout nights, so it's just an experiment I want to try out.
Ok, I see. I don't know does it really make a difference. She just said it would be more beneficial straight after the work out since all the muscles are nice and warm already. Warm up, cool down and stretches take me around one hour as it is... I don't know am I really ready to add extra time on top of that to be honest. We will see.

After seeing sphinx's Triforce tank, I gotta make a mention of Flex Comics and their awesome gymwear store. They sent me out a bunch of free shirts and tanks, but they're all very well done. Many of them are caricatures and references to comic book characters.

This is my Thor-esque tank. If you can't make out what it says on the side, it reads "Dost thou even lift?". It's so awesome.

3Yw19p7.jpg

http://flexcomics.com/collections/all

I figured some of you guys would be into the stuff there.

(God I feel like I just wrote an ad.)

Wolfe

I'm not using them during the exercise itself, but when I walk forward to re-rack the bar has creeped down to where my arms need to help the bar over the edge. Partially I think that the bar is too smooth and sliding down my back, but since there's nothing I can do about that, I will keep lowering the rack.

You mentioning the bar sliding down your back made me think of this Rippetoe vid, maybe it could help you out with that problem.

So any suggestions for mobility work? I really want to be able to start to stretch properly and be more flexible. I really have no idea at all.

van+damme+stretch.JPG

Seriously, check out some stretch routine videos. There are tons. Not sure about your goal,but the stretches that are done during football drills are a good choice.

I want to be able to do exactly what you are doing in your av. Touch my toes and all that ish. Be more like JCVD. I know that it will take time but it is something that I want to do for next year.

Szu

I want to be able to do exactly what you are doing in your av. Touch my toes and all that ish. Be more like JCVD. I know that it will take time but it is something that I want to do for next year.

Search for stretch routines for football and soccer players. That's a good choice.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
This is the month of back injuries it seems.

Painfully aggravated my lower left hip/back after a particularly crazy night of waiting tables.

Sigh

I had just recovered from two different back injuries, too.

This train has stopped.

Chocobro

So any suggestions for mobility work? I really want to be able to start to stretch properly and be more flexible. I really have no idea at all.
Go to the Evernote link in the OP and scroll down. I'll edit it later with more videos.

I also highly recommend Limber 11 by Joe DeFranco .

ILoveBish

Looks like my time off came right when it was injury season. Might have gotten lucky.

Deadlift tomorrow. Just need proper sleep tonight.

cmr-94

anybody ever had or have any posture difficulties, specifically anterior pelvic tilt? i have got a bit of a tilt action going on so gonna set about trying to fix it. Obviously read up on it but I would appreciate it if anyone has got any advice they can give

anybody ever had or have any posture difficulties, specifically anterior pelvic tilt? i have got a bit of a tilt action going on so gonna set about trying to fix it. Obviously read up on it but I would appreciate it if anyone has got any advice they can give

Weak glutes usually. Hip bridges and pull-throughs.

Tater Tot

"My God... it's full of Starch!"
Was doing deadlifts today and I got to my working weight. Had one of the personal trainers run up to me in the middle of my set and tell me that I am lifting too heavy and making too much noise. That it is super loud and I should make the weight come down super slow because it was making others uncomfortable. I was thinking WTF, it was a deadlift with barely 355lbs. I don't know if I was in the wrong but out of all my years of lifting I have never heard that from anyone before.

SeanR1221

Was doing deadlifts today and I got to my working weight. Had one of the personal trainers run up to me in the middle of my set and tell me that I am lifting too heavy and making too much noise. That it is super loud and I should make the weight come down super slow because it was making others uncomfortable. I was thinking WTF, it was a deadlift with barely 355lbs. I don't know if I was in the wrong but out of all my years of lifting I have never heard that from anyone before.

Jesus Christ

I hate some gyms.

BlueTsunami

Please think of the delicate flowers 💐

SeanR1221

Winter bulk is over! Feeling doughy as fuck right now lol. Anyone else trying to reign it in during the holidays? I have a serious weakness for desserts and my family is pretty fond of pies.

http://instagram.com/p/wsIXOuOBm9/?modal=true

Lol you don't look doughy at all.

Me on the other hand, I've definitely hit an all time high on my weight. I don't know if it's a stress or what.

On the bright side all my lifts are up....which is a first in over 6 months.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Next time tell him that you are doing a proper deadlift in order to minimize the risk of injury and if that is a problem have the owner come over and talk to you. I would ignore the trainer.

sphinx

the piano man
http://flexcomics.com/collections/all

I figured some of you guys would be into the stuff there.

(God I feel like I just wrote an ad.)

I liked the Thor one the most (the one you are wearing) Some are very cute and they come in different styles, thanks for sharing. Too bad there's no videogame stuff there,

Lol you don't look doughy at all.

Me on the other hand, I've definitely hit an all time high on my weight. I don't know if it's a stress or what.

On the bright side all my lifts are up....which is a first in over 6 months.

so jelly, just last monday I almost reached the weight I reached on Bench Press pre-injury and I am so scared of a set back, I really don't want to try anything near 5RM... my hand feels alright all the time but after a first "heavy" set, my wrist starts to feel a bit.. exhausted.. all while my left hand is perfect and could go and punch a wall. not a good sign so I'd rather wait and keep it on a mid-high rep range..

Next time tell him that you are doing a proper deadlift in order to minimize the risk of injury and if that is a problem have the owner come over and talk to you. I would ignore the trainer.

Sad but this also happened a long time ago in my gym, one guy (a random not a trainer) approached another guy (an American, lol) who was deadlifting in a proper manner... so he was being loud, but it was VERY loud and told him to cut it out.

Proper deadlifting sounds scary, like the building is falling apart, add the grunts and you have a big show.

Sadetar

I am starting to be like a statue as well even if I stretch every single day. I can still remember the glorious times when I could just get my whole palm on the ground without any effort. Next year this is better to get better.

Oh and by the way, awesome photos on the official pic thread! Your scumbag look is especially very appealing (even though you actually look surprisingly good also with clean cut). Thank you for sharing those. :p

This is the month of back injuries it seems.

Painfully aggravated my lower left hip/back after a particularly crazy night of waiting tables.

Sigh

I had just recovered from two different back injuries, too.

This train has stopped.
I feel you.

I am so happy that last night I managed to sleep without pain first time in weeks though. I think I managed to do right things at the gym and it helped that I skipped all kind of deadlifts.

Also speedy recovery!

Winter bulk is over! Feeling doughy as fuck right now lol. Anyone else trying to reign it in during the holidays? I have a serious weakness for desserts and my family is pretty fond of pies.

http://instagram.com/p/wsIXOuOBm9/?modal=true
You look absolutely awesome in that pic and not doughy at all! I remember going through your photos and vids in there earlier also... all are splendid! :D

Y'all got nothing on my lack of flexibility. I can barely touch my finger tips to my lower shins/ankles. I've always had horrid flexibility even as a kid. It has gotten worse of course. I really need to focus on stretching but god damn it hurts. I can take pain from high reps or high weight or DOMS, but the pain I feel when holding a stretch just deters the hell out of me.

sphinx

the piano man
FitGaf, is there a confessionary here somewhere?

I just ate a complete Pizza with tuna and my choice of drink was a protein shake.

I need to lay down and let it sink

BlueTsunami

I just ate a complete Pizza with tuna and my choice of drink was a protein shake.

I ate four hardboiled eggs before two servings of white rice, a chicken breast and yams. I have nothing on tuna and pizza though. Damn.

My wife left town last weekend. I ate an entire large Pizza Hut jalapeño and chicken pretzel-crust pizza for dinner Friday night/breakfast Saturday morning. I had $15 worth of Taco Bell for dinner Saturday night. Felt great and didn't have bad poops at all.

I've eaten entire pizzas many times when bulking, mostly because I'll suddenly realise I'm a couple of thousand calories off where I could be and have fuck all time to fix it.

#seriouslydirtybulk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom