• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.
With peeps posting group pics, I wanted to do one as well! Here is a pic I took with a friend who I work out with

BfWscyu.jpg

and one they took for fun

I am starting to be like a statue as well even if I stretch every single day. I can still remember the glorious times when I could just get my whole palm on the ground without any effort. Next year this is better to get better.

Oh and by the way, awesome photos on the official pic thread! Your scumbag look is especially very appealing (even though you actually look surprisingly good also with clean cut). Thank you for sharing those. :p

Heh, those pics are at weird angles. Makes my face look super fat.

Thanks for the compliments!

Down to 76,5 from 82,5 kg. Woohoo! Glad my diet is working despite HIIT is not implemented. :)

I couldn't implement it even if I wanted to. Physiotherapist's orders. Have to wait till january to test how flexible my running is.

So any suggestions for mobility work? I really want to be able to start to stretch properly and be more flexible. I really have no idea at all.

I had my first yoga class the other day.
Man that is rather strenuous, it just uses completely different muscles, motions and poses than I am used to. And I think doing that regularly would definitely help with overall flexibility and body tension.

Wolfe

Y'all got nothing on my lack of flexibility. I can barely touch my finger tips to my lower shins/ankles. I've always had horrid flexibility even as a kid. It has gotten worse of course. I really need to focus on stretching but god damn it hurts. I can take pain from high reps or high weight or DOMS, but the pain I feel when holding a stretch just deters the hell out of me.

I know exactly what you mean, my flexibility feels like it sucks and always has. I don't mind stretching, I just need to stop being lazy about it.

sphinx

the piano man
You are going to have some rough shits tomorrow my friend.

nope, everything just fine. but yesterday as I tried to sleep I had real digestive headaches! my stomach was overwhelmed with the awesome lol

I eat entire pizzas once a week Sphinx. Don't sweat it

oh pizzas are like cookies for most of use here, that's not the problem.

Drinking a protein shake while I was at it was over the top, I may have neared 100 gr on each macro, don't know didn't count.

With peeps posting group pics, I wanted to do one as well! Here is a pic I took with a friend who I work out with

Heh, those pics are at weird angles

I wish I had gym friends :/ I am always on my own and dont talk to anybody, unless necessary.

I am...the fastest man alive!

Shirt is awesome, bright red super hero stuff

but man, is that a compression shirt? shouldn't they kind of adhere to your skin? or I've been living a lie all this time?

Hey guys, my first post in this thread, so sup you awesome people!

Just wondering if anybody could offer some advice - I'm currently trying to gain quite a lot, and until now I've been using a 55g protein / 70g carbs blend that worked really well. (I would take this immediately post-workout, and then have a large meal of protein and carbohydrates about an hour after).

Due to financial struggles I've had to swap to a different protein blend (still a really good blend, but not so targeted towards gaining) since I can get a large discount on it. This has 46g protein / 8g carbs which I will be consuming immediately post-workout. I was wondering how I should still try to gain well on this - do I just wait an hour like I usually would and then have more carbs then usual, or should I have some fast digesting carbs alongside the protein shake? Any help would be great, thanks!

grumble

Hey guys, my first post in this thread, so sup you awesome people!

Just wondering if anybody could offer some advice - I'm currently trying to gain quite a lot, and until now I've been using a 55g protein / 70g carbs blend that worked really well. (I would take this immediately post-workout, and then have a large meal of protein and carbohydrates about an hour after).

Due to financial struggles I've had to swap to a different protein blend (still a really good blend, but not so targeted towards gaining) since I can get a large discount on it. This has 46g protein / 8g carbs which I will be consuming immediately post-workout. I was wondering how I should still try to gain well on this - do I just wait an hour like I usually would and then have more carbs then usual, or should I have some fast digesting carbs alongside the protein shake? Any help would be great, thanks!

This stuff is the details. If anything, I prefer the low carb blend as it allows for more macro control. If you have the opportunity to eat a normal balanced meal after the workout, do so.

SeanR1221

FitGaf, is there a confessionary here somewhere?

I just ate a complete Pizza with tuna and my choice of drink was a protein shake.

I need to lay down and let it sink

Sounds amazing. I'd eat that with no shame

and one they took for fun

Massive bro. Keep on being a beast

This stuff is the details. If anything, I prefer the low carb blend as it allows for more macro control. If you have the opportunity to eat a normal balanced meal after the workout, do so.

Thats what the plan is, but my question was more along the lines of should I eat that meal instantly with/immediately after the low carb blend, or rather have the low carb blend and then wait 30minutes - 1 hour before having the balanced meal?

Thanks for responding though.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Sphinx said:
Shirt is awesome, bright red super hero stuff

but man, is that a compression shirt? shouldn't they kind of adhere to your skin? or I've been living a lie all this time?
Haha. No, you are correct. I thought I ordered the compression but it was just a plain t shirt.

Thats what the plan is, but my question was more along the lines of should I eat that meal instantly with/immediately after the low carb blend, or rather have the low carb blend and then wait 30minutes - 1 hour before having the balanced meal?

Thanks for responding though.

It honestly doesn't matter. You're not a professional bodybuilder on a concoction of 10 PEDs where tiny details like this matter. Do whatever you prefer. I personally would have the meal after 1 or 2 hours. You can add a soda or juice with your protein immediately after workout if you want extra carbs. Maybe chocolate milk?

My God FallingEdge your arms tho

that's what i said. dios mio.

Edit: TIL ass cramps are a thing. Max effort 5 rep squat, 3x10,10,8 bb reverse lunges, and 3x10,10,10 lying hamstring curls later, and my ass cheeks are cramping something fierce.

Sounds amazing. I'd eat that with no shame

Massive bro. Keep on being a beast

Thanks guys. I put a lot of work into arms these past few months. Glad to see it pay off.

I had my first yoga class the other day.
Man that is rather strenuous, it just uses completely different muscles, motions and poses than I am used to. And I think doing that regularly would definitely help with overall flexibility and body tension.

I think this is a great idea. I need to get up on it.

I wish I had gym friends :/ I am always on my own and dont talk to anybody, unless necessary.

I was like that too but after a while, you see the same people over and over again. Start to make eye contact and talking and go from there. It is a lot like dating!

Dany

Banned
Today is the first time in several months that my biceps and triceps are sore, yesterday was a great day.

ANd the gym is closed today and tomorrow. And next week i'm visiting the parents. Then I have grad school for two years. I don't know how/if I can continue to go to the gym with the rigor of a MSN program.

UGH.

entremet

Anyone do a SL/SS type routine and also run?

I recently started running and my legs are killing me from both the 3x Squats and 3x week runs.

Does it get better?

Sadetar

I haven't yet received my Quest bars. I have already paid customs ages ago and I know they are in Finland and still post office haven't been kind enough to inform me where I could pick them up. Dammit.

Also slight common cold and a herniated disk add a bit too much excitement to my day - sneezing gives me a heart attack every damn time and the nerve pain is extremely unpleasant. The fact that I sat 6 hours in public transportation today didn't make my back feel any better. I have been utterly feeble and pathetic today. Oh well, at least I have no fever or anything else than runny nose and sneezes. I might need to skip gym tomorrow though since breathing is somewhat challenging.

Y'all got nothing on my lack of flexibility. I can barely touch my finger tips to my lower shins/ankles. I've always had horrid flexibility even as a kid. It has gotten worse of course. I really need to focus on stretching but god damn it hurts. I can take pain from high reps or high weight or DOMS, but the pain I feel when holding a stretch just deters the hell out of me.
Well, I have had hard time touching my knees and putting hosiery on has taken more than 30 minutes and felt like a real challenge... Then again that has been only temporary. I can't imagine that being the normal state of being. :p

I need to agree with you though that rather take the pain for working out. Stretching on the other hand - meh. I need to force myself to do it.

You are very welcome.

Also those new pics are superb! You are one swole beast! :D

I am...the fastest man alive!
You look good as always, but I would have preferred something tighter on your body. You know, better aerodynamics. :p

I was like that too but after a while, you see the same people over and over again. Start to make eye contact and talking and go from there. It is a lot like dating!
Indeed this. Also if I am in doubt I usually go ask help from the biggest dude at the gym since they usually know what they are up to. Hahha and yes, I have no shame. ;)

frontieruk

So true, even the crossfit guy says hi to me now, (I go at stupid o'clock so there's only 6 of us there) the rest are lifters who generally just have a chat between sets

Eklipsis

I think I tried to push myself too much yesterday on legs....aside from normal soreness (hurts to sit lol) my knee is really sore. :(

Chocobro

I'm curious about your opinions. What numbers do you think I should be hitting as a 5'8" 150lb (172.72cm and 68kg) male at the end of linear progression? High-bar back squat, conventional deadlift, overhead press, and bench press more specifically.

EDIT: It would also be great to know your numbers as well when you switched from a LP program to an intermediate program and your BW and height at that time. For squats, mention if it's HBBS or LBBS; I actually want to use some of this data.

sphinx

the piano man
I'm curious about your opinions. What numbers do you think I should be hitting as a 5'8" 150lb (172.72cm and 68kg) male at the end of linear progression? High-bar back squat, conventional deadlift, overhead press, and bench press more specifically.

forgive my ignorance, what do you mean with "at the end of linear progression"?

you mean the time you plateau and that you'll never overcome because of size and weight?

Chocobro

forgive my ignorance, what do you mean with "at the end of linear progression"?

you mean the time you plateau and that you'll never overcome because of size and weight?

Not really? More like you stuck with Starting Strength, Greyskull LP, or SL 5x5 for as long as you possibly could but you can't make any more progress on those LP programs.

I was doing leg reps today in between matches of Super Smash Brothers. I went to set down the barbells I was holding and I heard a loud tearing sound from my leg. I didn't feel any pain, but I decided to call it a day (Who doesn't skip leg day when there's a good excuse?). I've been walking on it and the spot where I heard the sound feels kind of warm but still no real pain. Any idea what happened?

sphinx

the piano man
Not really? More like you stuck with Starting Strength, Greyskull LP, or SL 5x5 for as long as you possibly could but you can't make any more progress on those LP programs.

yeah, that's what I thought.

didn't we say the same thing with different words? lol

grumble

I was doing leg reps today in between matches of Super Smash Brothers. I went to set down the barbells I was holding and I heard a loud tearing sound from my leg. I didn't feel any pain, but I decided to call it a day (Who doesn't skip leg day when there's a good excuse?). I've been walking on it and the spot where I heard the sound feels kind of warm but still no real pain. Any idea what happened?

Scar tissue might have torn, or tissue with no nerve endings. Good call on waiting it out.

grumble

EDIT: It would also be great to know your numbers as well when you switched from a LP program to an intermediate program and your BW and height at that time. For squats, mention if it's HBBS or LBBS; I actually want to use some of this data.

You will gain weight in a proper linear progression, up to maybe 180 pounds. So as a 150 pound male doesn't mean much.

Expect a deadlift at double body weight, a bench a bit over body weight, and a squat a little below your deadlift. Press is hard, probably 70% of your bench. So maybe:

Deadlift: 360 5rm
Squat: 315 5rm
Bench: 190 5rm
Press: 140 5rm

It honestly depends on your proportions, your genetics, your mental toughness and your consistency in gym sessions and diet. Some have driven the numbers much higher, others not as high.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
Thanks again, Wolfe. I tried the correct low bar position you linked in the video, and was able to do squats pain-free.

Whatever strain I have in my bicep didn't seem to affect my bench press. Do biceps grow much on Starting Strength?

Wolfe

No problem dude, glad it helped you out. As for biceps on SS they grow just like everything else but since none of the main lifts specifically target them they aren't getting hit nearly as hard as they could be, hence why curls are so popular. The strain itself sounds like it was born out of your form so I'm assuming it'll be easy to fix. Reminds me how I used to cramp up my left hamstring while doing bench press due to the way I was benching. Shit fucking sucked so I had to figure out what I was doing to cause it and adjust to correct things.

Managed to hit 180lbs last week from a starting weight of 150, still forever skinny/slim. Onward to 200lbs.

Exrx has a table for those exercises to give you idea of how strong you can aim to get. It's based on weight and gender.

So for instance in your case a 150lb male can squat 230lbs (roughly 2 45lbs plates per side) at the intermediate level and 315lbs (3 45lbs plates per side) at the advanced level.

Hiz_95

It's gonna depend on your proportions
For a low bar belted back squat I'd say around 3 plates for a 5rm, since you're doing high bar it would be less maybe around 290-300lbs, even more so if you don't use a belt
Ohp would be around a plate for a 5rm
Bench at around 90kg/200lbs for a 5rm paused or slightly higher touch and go
Deadlifts in the range of 160-170kg (350-375lbs) for a 5rm belts tend not to help to any significant extent for most people with deadlifts.

Not sure when I made the switch. I altered my routine periodically and switched from linear progression at different times for different lifts. I'd say that I became an intermediate lifter when I weighed around 80kg at 5"10 (12-15%) bodyfat with a lighter bone structure.

Szu

It was a rest day from weights. I did 45 min on a stairmaster.

Then, I started with some light calisthenics. However, I also had some fun with some hanging rings.

SwingIng around kinda makes me feel like a kid again.

Eventually, I fooled around with some more advanced calisthenics. I tried make more difficult and fun.

I think ended up doing Terry Crews version of a blurpee.
terry_crews_euro_training-58273.gif

It has potentially no fitness value, but it looks cool.

Standing position drop into push up position. Kick legs through arms and end in sitting position. Roll backward and kip up into standing position. Slide legs out, place hands on floor, and raise lower body into handstand position. Drop back onto feet and kneel down. Do ninja jump into Van Damme jumping split kick.

That counts as one.

I call it a Szurpee.

I really should make another Fitness Fun video.

Which is the best shoulder exercise that targets the rear delts? I do press but it looks like my rear delts need more work and I don't like most shoulder exercises because you can't go heavy

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Instead of throwing caution to the wind I'm clearing my macros for a big ass steak and cheese tonight. Gonna make that oily son bitch work for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom