• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

O.v.e.rlord

Banned
Alright guys, I'm 34. Too old to lift anymore. It's been fun.

You're never told old too lift!!! One my gym partners was in his 70's! He is still at it to this day!

download_20141229_18krusv.jpeg

New background for my phone!! I shale steel myself for the coming battle

Matugi

Not flexed. Probably just about done with this bulk. Weigh about 168 or so right now, maybe a little more. Stopped focusing on that really lol.

In other news, hit 295x3 on bench today. Only bad part about stopping bulking will be the end of these sweet, sweet strength gainz. no more bein stronk as fuk

O.v.e.rlord

Banned
Which of these did they suggest you do?

Lol none if those. I was doing some lat pull downs. Comes up to me asks how many sets I have left and told "3-4 depends on how I feel. You can work in with me if want" he declines so I press on. After ever set I'd go up 10 pounds to the point where I was at 4 plates each arm for 1x6 . And he steps in and says I'm going to heavy!

The fuck?! I'm know I'm going heavy that's why I'm doing it! Then he says I should cut! At that point all I hear is white noise and I faded away in my happy place till he stopped talking

SeanR1221

Alright guys, I'm 34. Too old to lift anymore. It's been fun.

Happy birthday! I bet you'll be lifting even when your beard goes grey.

Not flexed. Probably just about done with this bulk. Weigh about 168 or so right now, maybe a little more. Stopped focusing on that really lol.

In other news, hit 295x3 on bench today. Only bad part about stopping bulking will be the end of these sweet, sweet strength gainz. no more bein stronk as fuk

I can definitely tell a difference, you're looking a lot bigger. Very solid looking.

Lol none if those. I was doing some lat pull downs. Comes up to me asks how many sets I have left and told "3-4 depends on how I feel. You can work in with me if want" he declines so I press on. After ever set I'd go up 10 pounds to the point where I was at 4 plates each arm for 1x6 . And he steps in and says I'm going to heavy!

The fuck?! I'm know I'm going heavy that's why I'm doing it! Then he says I should cut! At that point all I hear is white noise and I faded away in my happy place till he stopped talking

I wish some people would mind their own business

BadTaste

I don't really see the difference between seated Military Press and seated Shoulder Press, also when doing shoulder press should I come past a 90 degree angle or not? (when using Dumbbells for shoulder press obviously)

Sadetar

I can't wait till next year but I will go back to my normal diet tomorrow. My whole December has been more or less like this:
giphy.gif

I feel so bloated and my morning weight is about 4 pounds more compared to what it used to be. I am fairly sure it will be gone quite soon though since it came overnight basicly. My waist is far from what it used to be. It will take a bit longer to get rid of the bloat. Couple weeks at least.

p.s. Back from holiday. Back still fucked. Sort of concerned that I may have a long term issue now. =/
Damn. That is unfortunate. Hopefully it will get better soon and you wouldn't need to worry about it.

I am just waiting the gym to open. Still a week to go. I am hoping I will start to feel better again when I can go there. I am way grumpier than I used to be just because of the pain. I stretch every single day but there isn't that much I can do. Stretches, pilates at home and nordic walking. Yet today I couldn't stretch my leg but only to 45 degrees when I was laying on my back having other leg straight. After that the nerve pain just too much. But like said, I am being hopeful it will go away after starting my normal routine again. Also I will go and pick up one of those foam rollers and see if it does anything (other than hurt like hell).

Quoting is screwing me over since it makes the text illegible. Its a pretty funny comic for those who have gone through this.
That was hilarious! :D Thank you! Now I know what to expect...

I might be, I'm just spending so much time reading and browsing everything related to lifting it feels like I've been doing it forever, then I go to gym and see my shitty 55kg squat and 50kg stalling bench, 22% bf that's not going down apparently even after dropping 4kg and it get's me thinking about changing stuff.
Then this on reddit http://www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/comments/12l7ub/i_look_like_a_centaur_after_doing_ss_for_four/ along with 100000000 other like it just made me think about squatting less. I'm 100% sure I should because I know me and I'll be consistent and I can keep doing this or any other program for 6 months, and then I'll be like fuck what now like that guy in picture on reddit.

And besides noob gains I know strength gains are gonna be slooow and muscle probably non existent while in deficit but there's no other way besides becoming fattass and then having to cut 20 kg. Not sure about that body recomposition stuff.
Sadly your body doesn't realize all the things you have been reading and all that it knows is that you have been going to gym only 5 weeks. It will take time for you body to start to change, but trust me, if you keep at it, it will.

It is absolutely brilliant that you have huge motivation, but you also need patience and stick with your routine.

Also I haven't never met anyone with a T-rex problem.
I am fairly sure you aren't going to get shorter hands and have problems with fapping because of it in the future even if you will continue working out.
Huge muscular legs just aren't a real problem. :p

Smore Quest bars are probably second only to cookie dough.

Their protein powder is just okay in terms of taste. couldn't believe how thick it was mixing it with milk.
This, my good sir, is something I heartily agree with you! I am so lucky I have two full boxes of Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough‎ and one box of S'mores waiting. :p

Yeah, I was fucking around. Funny how so many people here don't know me. Haha.

Yoke walk for first time. This is harder than it looks. 485ft for 50 foot then some extra work. Quads are screaming.

http://youtu.be/YcRXjZOs9bE
Happy Birthday!

Also I can't most likely even imagine how hard it really is since to me it looks quite much impossible to begin with.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Lol I needed this. Sums up January for me. After 2 weeks most of these people do not return. Which I'm greatful for.

I've only been going for 5 months, and making great progress by the way, and I related to the comic. After the 3rd or 4th month, I felt confident in my form and weights and seeing people do squats on smith machines still makes me cringe. They could at least go below their knees when they do it!

I have actually seen a grossly obese girl eating candy while lazily yanking on a cable machine during the January rush.

I usually see old ladies with those strollers with seats on them lifting, although they go more for volume than strength.

Thank god I go to the gym at 5 am, I don't expect much to change.

I'm gonna start going at 7, did it a couple times and did not regret it one bit. Going at 2 is chaos in itself.

I'm ashamed to admit a couple of years ago when I went to high school I would do this, never worked in the end, I never saw gains and got tired. Then came upon this thread and realized I was doing everything wrong, haven't looked back ever since and I'm trying my first bulk, its terrifying how much weight you can gain in 3 weeks if you don't count calories.

reminder this guy makes these comics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWaKhKho8us

I feel like my fish oil pills were spiked with something when I watched this.

O.v.e.rlord

Banned
Looks like you're setup loose. But it's hard to tell. You might be lacking s good arch or leg drive.

I talked to well trusted source of knowledge. The manager of the nutrition shop lol big dude 6"5 bulit like a tree and very experienced. I've known him for years. Any way talked a while about in reguads to bench press and the application of the arch and leg drive and the reason behind both. I have decided that I will incorporate leg drive and leave out arch. I understand the meaning behind the arch I just feel that defeats the propose of flat bench is all. And I'm going to experiment with leg drive to see if anything is improved. Thank for your advice Brolic!

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I talked to well trusted source of knowledge. The manager of the nutrition shop lol big dude 6"5 bulit like a tree and very experienced. I've known him for years. Any way talked a while about in reguads to bench press and the application of the arch and leg drive and the reason behind both. I have decided that I will incorporate leg drive and leave out arch. I understand the meaning behind the arch I just feel that defeats the propose of flat bench is all. And I'm going to experiment with leg drive to see if anything is improved. Thank for your advice Brolic!

If you're gonna use leg drive, you're probably gonna have an arch. That or your ass is gonna leave the bench, which you don't want. I'm not talking a massive arch. Look how I bench.

http://youtu.be/d58smUJxtXM

O.v.e.rlord

Banned
If you're gonna use leg drive, you're probably gonna have an arch. That or your ass is gonna leave the bench, which you don't want. I'm not talking a massive arch. Look how I bench.

http://youtu.be/d58smUJxtXM

Sorry. I don't I explained very well. What you did is what I'm going to try out. In my mind though. I was thinking of a person in my gym that uses that technique that would make McDonald's arches blush lol

Just not looking forward to adjusting my form. It's takes a loooooong time to get one form just right.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Reposting this for new page since most people (at least I know) have never even seen a yoke walk. This worked me weird. I'm sore I'm different ways than normal.

485lbs for 50ft x2 then some extra work. 345lbs for 100ft at the end.

Sorry. I don't I explained very well. What you did is what I'm going to try out. In my mind though. I was thinking of a person in my gym that uses that technique that would make McDonald's arches blush lol

Just not looking forward to adjusting my form. It's takes a loooooong time to get one form just right.

Yeah, took me a while to nail it myself. I don't bench right now since I'm focusing on strongman, pressing went to OHP/log press but nailing your form right will take you well above 400.

Happy Birthday!

Also I can't most likely even imagine how hard it really is since to me it looks quite much impossible to begin with.

Thanks but my birthday was actually yesterday. I was just having fun with the the thread.

Hey I resent that I saw it was a stealth birthday brag :(

It's all in fun!

you're a christmas child too :) *highfive

welcome back!

I like how I look at 37 ;)

Yep 3 days after christmas!

SeanR1221

Finally got around to Emailing Steve Pulcinella. Hopefully we can schedule my training sessions by the end of January. I wanted to let the holidays pass and for me to be a couple weeks into the Ironsport method.

I'm still gonna be super nervous lifting in front of him. I might buy a paperback version of Ironsport and have him sign it...dunno. I definitely need a couple new Tshirts from there. My large doesnt come close to fitting.

Really hoping for the following three things to be ironed out: Sitting back more in my squat, pressing through the floor on my deadlift, and proper leg drive on my bench.

Sadetar

Thanks but my birthday was actually yesterday. I was just having fun with the the thread.
We can just think I am fashionable late. :p

Also since I can't do deadlifts at the moment at all because of the back my physiotherapist suggested I would try this with bodyweight:
hyperextension-lg.jpg

I actually don't even know a name for it, but does anyone in here know how high the thing should be compared to my legs and tummy and how big movement I should be doing? If I understood it correctly my upper body should be going up and down while embracing my core and that it should work with back of the thighs, ass and lower back as well. I am just happy there is at least something I could try while recovering.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
We can just think I am fashionable late. :p

Also since I can't do deadlifts at the moment at all because of the back my physiotherapist suggested I would try this with bodyweight:
hyperextension-lg.jpg

I actually don't even know a name for it, but does anyone in here know how high the thing should be compared to my legs and tummy and how big movement I should be doing? If I understood it correctly my upper body should be going up and down while embracing my core and that it should work with back of the thighs, ass and lower back as well. I am just happy there is at least something I could try while recovering.

It's a 45 degree hyperextension. Put the pads up to the top of your quads, come down as far as you can without rounding your lower back, then come back up.

Finally got around to Emailing Steve Pulcinella. Hopefully we can schedule my training sessions by the end of January. I wanted to let the holidays pass and for me to be a couple weeks into the Ironsport method.

I'm still gonna be super nervous lifting in front of him. I might buy a paperback version of Ironsport and have him sign it...dunno. I definitely need a couple new Tshirts from there. My large doesnt come close to fitting.

Really hoping for the following three things to be ironed out: Sitting back more in my squat, pressing through the floor on my deadlift, and proper leg drive on my bench.

And lots of pictures.

SeanR1221

And lots of pictures.

Definitely. It really is such a cool gym to be in. I mean, they literally have a wall of belts.

This is one from 1.5 years ago

524693_598011185156_1853755343_n.jpg

3 power racks, a monolift, another squat rack, one of those loading things for deadlifts. Plus lots of platforms and strongman stuff.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I might have underestimated how important being rested and fresh is. After a week off from squats which I filled with DLing my squats are amazingly easier tonight. They seem to be coming back.

Todays workout looked like this:

135x5
225x3
275x3
315x3
340x3
375x2x3
385x3

Felt much more stable in my mid section than usual. Must be the extra time off.

Sadetar

It's a 45 degree hyperextension. Put the pads up to the top of your quads, come down as far as you can without rounding your lower back, then come back up.
To add to this, it's also called a back extension. The top of the pad should be near where your hip are.
Thanks! Those helped a lot! I will try it out as soon as the gym opens. I will put the pads around where my quads end, a bit lower than my hips are.

What happened to your back?
My herniated disk is acting up again so I better let it heal. This far squatting seems to be alright with very low weights though.

I might be the only one at the gym thinking that I am totally awesome when squatting with a bar that weights 10 kilos / 22 pounds. :p But hey, I try to keep my mood high and at least I am doing something to better myself.

I might be the only one at the gym thinking that I am totally awesome when squatting with a bar that weights 10 kilos / 22 pounds. :p But hey, I try to keep my mood high and at least I am doing something to better myself.
Interesting. I haven't done a back extension since my herniation, but I never asked about doing them. Which disc?

Matugi

I might have underestimated how important being rested and fresh is. After a week off from squats which I filled with DLing my squats are amazingly easier tonight. They seem to be coming back.

135x5
225x3
275x3
315x3
340x3
375x2x3
385x3

For me it's the opposite; when I take a week off I feel uncomfortable the following week.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Definitely. It really is such a cool gym to be in. I mean, they literally have a wall of belts.

This is one from 1.5 years ago

524693_598011185156_1853755343_n.jpg

3 power racks, a monolift, another squat rack, one of those loading things for deadlifts. Plus lots of platforms and strongman stuff.

Must find a really good gym and move from the crappy one I'm in.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
For me it's the opposite; when I take a week off I feel uncomfortable the following week.

That's because you took off at a wrong time, what he ended up doing is a peak in strength. He overloaded himself to the point that when he took off he saw strength gains. This is what you want to happen.

135x5
225x3
275x3
315x3
340x3
375x2x3
385x3

Must have peaked your strength. Look back at your log and take note. If you repeat that you will see strength gains every time with minor tweaks. When shit like this happens it's time to step back and take note of what caused it.

Cooter

That's because you took off at a wrong time, what he ended up doing is a peak in strength. He overloaded himself to the point that when he took off he saw strength gains. This is what you want to happen.

Must have peaked your strength. Look back at your log and take note. If you repeat that you will see strength gains every time with minor tweaks. When shit like this happens it's time to step back and take note of what caused it.

100%

Last time I squatted was 9 days ago and it was 60% work. Before that it was heavy and almost 2 weeks ago.

Sadetar

Interesting. I haven't done a back extension since my herniation, but I never asked about doing them. Which disc?
That is a very good question. Lower back, but I honestly can't remember the number at the moment.

It is a central herniation and changes the leg once in a while and it can even hurt on both at the same time on bad days. Generally the pain has been lately on my left leg, back of the thigh, sometimes back of the calf too. Also the back of the leg turns numb once in a while and it can feel like there would be small needles poking it when the sensations come back.

My physiotherapist actually suggested it to me when we were talking that I need to leave Romanian deadlifts at least for a while.

That is a very good question. Lower back, but I honestly can't remember the number at the moment.

It is a central herniation and changes the leg once in a while and it can even hurt on both at the same time on bad days. Generally the pain has been lately on my left leg, back of the thigh, sometimes back of the calf too. Also the back of the leg turns numb once in a while and it can feel like there would be small needles poking it when the sensations come back.

My physiotherapist actually suggested it to me when we were talking that I need to leave Romanian deadlifts at least for a while.
L5/S1 is the most common and what I had. I had the nerve pinch down the left leg, and got those numbing sensations as well. It got progressively worse until my foot could only feel pressure, which according to my surgeon is the last sensation that goes away.

Good luck with it. Hopefully it gets better on its own.

O.v.e.rlord

Banned

135x5
225x3
275x3
315x3
340x3
375x2x3
385x3

Amazing workout man!! Keep it up!

Cooter

Amazing workout man!! Keep it up!
Thanks. Slowly get back to my old squat numbers before I backed off and focused on my DL.

Finished the squats off with 4 sets of 20 DB walking lunges and now my quads are fried!

Sadetar

L5/S1 is the most common and what I had. I had the nerve pinch down the left leg, and got those numbing sensations as well. It got progressively worse until my foot could only feel pressure, which according to my surgeon is the last sensation that goes away.

Good luck with it. Hopefully it gets better on its own.
L5 sounds vaguely familiar so it is most likely it. I think that bad back runs in the family: my dad has been through three surgeries and went for early retirement because of it and my big brother also struggles with his back pains. I myself have had issues since 2012. It has been up and down. I had a pain free time this year also for months before I was stupid 6 weeks ago. I think my form was a bit off while doing Romanian deadlifts or I had too much weight. In any case it has now been worse since I have been unable to work out like I normally do because the gym is closed until next week. Also my sensations are normal, I just feel an added pain at the moment so I am very hopeful that since I have healed it once I can do it again.

Did your back recover fully after the surgery? I hope you are now alright. :)

alternade

Hahaha jeez reading through some of this thread and some of you guys are beasts! I'm struggling with benching 100lbs and you guys are doing 300+!

Watching through some of Brolic Gaoler YT vids and getting inspired to get to that level

Newb question, but how much weight on a barbell should you be warming up with? For squats since I do 110kg for my sets, I generally do two sets on empty bar and then a set of 60kg. Would this be sufficient warmup?

Newb question, but how much weight on a barbell should you be warming up with? For squats since I do 110kg for my sets, I generally do two sets on empty bar and then a set of 60kg. Would this be sufficient warmup?
The recommended is:
2x5 empty bar
1x5 40% of your work set
1x3 60% of your work set
1x2 80% of your work set

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Hematocrit levels are almost acceptable! Which means I'll get to work out again! I hate kinda being absent from here, I just have so little to offer. When I come back, it's gonna be full bore MUSCLE QUEST and I'm psyched as fuck for it.

Which means I can flirt with Quesaritos again

Szu

Reposting this for new page since most people (at least I know) have never even seen a yoke walk. This worked me weird. I'm sore I'm different ways than normal.

485lbs for 50ft x2 then some extra work. 345lbs for 100ft at the end.

Happy belated birthday!!

Impressive work on the yoke walk. It's hard to tell from this camera angle, but are you walking on a mostly level surface or is there a slight slope?

Chocobro

Matthew Gallant's response is good.
If you want to use a Google Spreadsheet and view it on your phone, here's my modified version of the Starting Strength warm-up weight calculator. The percentages are different for squats, deadlifts, bench press, and OHP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom