• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

Szu

I really feel like facial hair is holding me back from achieving maximal aestheticness.

Fat as well but that is easy to change.

I want a beard so bad.

Wish it was this easy.
beard-slap.gif

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Woohoo! Hit a new PR on deadlift! 255x6

That supposedly puts me right at an intermediate level for my bodyweight according to Strength Standards (I know, it's not the end-all, be-all, but it still makes me feel really good).

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Felt weaker today. Cold ass garage didn't help. Decided to do conventional log press.

207lbs x 8. Leg drive makes the press easier, but it's definitely s new movement for me
You were built to lift heavy things over your head. That was great. Thanks for sharing.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
You were built to lift heavy things over your head. That was great. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks bud, felt weak today. Been drinking more than usual so its more than likely that. Also, cleaning the log takes more out of you, than you would think. I'm looking at getting J cups for my yoke to work strict presses though.

Push press with log also feels like it works the shoulders different. Not sure how to explain it.

Red

I haven't exercised for a week but today hopped back into it. After about 15 minutes my heart started beating abnormally and my vision faded. Everything went black. I sat down and noticed I had trouble breathing, and my arms and legs got very weak. This went on for about five minutes and gave way to pins and needles, especially in my fingers and toes. Called it quits for the night. Now the left side of my neck near the back of my skull aches. Still have that pins and needles sensation (it's been nearly half an hour). This has never happened to me before. I'm not sure what caused it. Blood pressure? Sugar? Anyone else had this experience?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I haven't exercised for a week but today hopped back into it. After about 15 minutes my heart started beating abnormally and my vision faded. Everything went black. I sat down and noticed I had trouble breathing, and my arms and legs got very weak. This went on for about five minutes and gave way to pins and needles, especially in my fingers and toes. Called it quits for the night. Now the left side of my neck near the back of my skull aches. Still have that pins and needles sensation (it's been nearly half an hour). This has never happened to me before. I'm not sure what caused it. Blood pressure? Sugar? Anyone else had this experience?

DOCTOR. NOW.

Red

It's not that bad. I'm going to track my blood pressure and heart rate the next few days. I have a doctor's appointment coming up anyway, and if I get a repeat experience I'll ask about it then.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
It's not that bad. I'm going to track my blood pressure and heart rate the next few days. I have a doctor's appointment coming up anyway, and if I get a repeat experience I'll ask about it then.

I wouldn't even attempt anything rigorous until the checkup

Red

I wouldn't even attempt anything rigorous until the checkup
Yeah. Tonight wasn't even that intense. I jumped around a bit and did some curls and squats. I plan on exercising until the appointment but more along the light jog side of things. I'm surprised to have had a reaction like that after only a week off.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends

Dude seriously, go to the ER right now. Call 911 immediately if you don't have a read. If you had went hardcore on your workout early on without warming up you usually feel your vision slightly fading but if it wasn't that tough, you should go to the ER right now, better to be safe than sorry.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

Yeah. Tonight wasn't even that intense. I jumped around a bit and did some curls and squats. I plan on exercising until the appointment but more along the light jog side of things. I'm surprised to have had a reaction like that after only a week off.

Dude no offense, but you're being an obtuse idiot. You blacked out, have cranial pain, and loss is sensation in your extremities, and you experienced irregular heart beat. You need to go to the doctor. Fuck, you should already be at the doctor.

Also, if you took a preworkout, I'd never take one again.

Sadetar

you guys may think a beard is fun but wait till your try eating things like chicken wings or a in and out cheeseburger in public
Hahaha. With your facial hair, it is an adventure I am sure. :p

Beards seem to be like a growing (pun intended) trend and I am really liking it. ;)

I really feel like facial hair is holding me back from achieving maximal aestheticness.

Fat as well but that is easy to change.
This is just fair for the rest of us. You are damn gorgeous even without.

Wish it was this easy.
beard-slap.gif
In my family that seems to be the case to be honest... My brother is like a miracle beard grower. Then again I haven't never even seen my father without one.

I just think it is stupid since I am a female and can't grow one but yet I need to struggle with the extra hair everywhere else. You are just lucky you don't need to fight with epilators and such.

Constant stubble, accentuate dat jaw line
That five o'clock shadow may be one of the best things ever.

Don't play with it. Go get it checked!

Got the freaking flu. This sucks, but at least I get to miss the bumfuck NYE craziness this week.

I really hate getting sick. Really throws you off your ball game.

Red

Brolic, I don't want to derail the thread. Suffice it to say I disagree with GAF's tendency to rush to the doctor at every slight scare. I have my wife with me and I am fine now. I have an appointment with a doctor next Monday. I didn't black out or pass out. It was more like bad tunnel vision. If I had passed out I'd go to an ER, but I'm good now and I'm not going to congest service and hinder care for those who really need it.

Sadetar

Already over four hours into the year 2015. Great! :D This is going to be so awesome.

When I look back at the year 2014 I know realize that before I have mainly lived my life in the world of words and ideas. Only last year I started to understand how important it is to live not only with my head but also with my body. Sounds so darn simple that I should have thought of it before. Well, better late than never.

I am full of energy and I am planning to make this an absolutely great year. I also in the middle of the night today noticed that we have free weights at the gym downstairs so with the weights I am currently using I can do basicly all the lifting needed in there as well. :D

I also need to add that even if I can be one of the biggest pains in the ass, I really, really, really like all of you and I have greatly enjoyed this place and I very much appreciate all the support and advices I have had in here. Lets make this new year at least as good as the previous one was, now shall we.

So may the new year grant us with grand gains, better mobility, new experiences and (facial) hair growth of the first degree!

Brolic, I don't want to derail the thread. Suffice it to say I disagree with GAF's tendency to rush to the doctor at every slight scare. I have my wife with me and I am fine now. I have an appointment with a doctor next Monday. I didn't black out or pass out. It was more like bad tunnel vision. If I had passed out I'd go to an ER, but I'm good now and I'm not going to congest service and hinder care for those who really need it.

For what it's worth, I know someone (family member) that died from a brain haemorrhage after displaying symptoms relatively similar to yours (they had head pain, you didn't mention any) and not going to hospital.

I can certainly appreciate not wasting ER time... but you don't have the sniffles or a slight headache, you had some fairly serious symptoms there.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

I really hope it ISN'T something serious but it sure as shit sounds like something really, really goddamned serious. Even though it may not happen again before you see the doctor, I implore you to talk to him about it and describe everything. I really can't stress that enough and I agree with everyone else that those symptoms are goddamned horrifying and terrible. GOD DAMMIT. Please be careful and don't think you're not worth the time, that it's keeping you from other people needing help. There's a lot of fuckheads out there with paper cuts going to the ER. This is important. Goddammit man!

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
I really hope it ISN'T something serious but it sure as shit sounds like something really, really goddamned serious. Even though it may not happen again before you see the doctor, I implore you to talk to him about it and describe everything. I really can't stress that enough and I agree with everyone else that those symptoms are goddamned horrifying and terrible. GOD DAMMIT. Please be careful and don't think you're not worth the time, that it's keeping you from other people needing help. There's a lot of fuckheads out there with paper cuts going to the ER. This is important. Goddammit man!

All of this. You don't have a paper cut or a slight fever, these could be life threatening symptoms and the only reason why we are acting like this is because we've all seen it unfold with our own eyes. My uncle died from a brain hemorrhage and he passed it off as a headache when he had all of the symptoms you did and ended up passing away on a car ride back home. Don't brush it off so easily.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Happy New Year FitGaf. Thanks for the support, encouragement, and advice in 14 and here's to 2015!

We made it!

back_to_the_future_part_2.jpg

I'm not so sure that this back issue is just a back issue. Was feeling around and I suspect I managed to bust another rib when I fell.

The pain is manageable, but I'm really struggling to find any movements (short of arms only) that don't leave my back / rib feeling worse the next day. Anything that vaguely involves my core causes me to feel like I've "pulled" it again. =/

ILoveBish

So glad 2015 is here and no more events for a long time, can finally live the boring and uneventful life I so desperately need to lose more fat.

danthefan

Going to hit the gym in a few hours, my attempt at taking up the Starting Strength program (the fact it's Jan 1st is purely coincidental!).

I really hope I can stick with it. I live about a 5 minute walk from the gym so really have no excuses. Wish me luck!

SeanR1221

So glad 2015 is here and no more events for a long time, can finally live the boring and uneventful life I so desperately need to lose more fat.

Agreed. Boring is good. Less social obligations and you can just focus on lifting.

Going to hit the gym in a few hours, my attempt at taking up the Starting Strength program (the fact it's Jan 1st is purely coincidental!).

I really hope I can stick with it. I live about a 5 minute walk from the gym so really have no excuses. Wish me luck!

Some advice.

- it will seem easy at first. Don't start throwing in lots of extra stuff because it's easy
- take form videos and post them here. It's going to take time to nail down form on the big lifts.
- follow the program, don't quick make it your own and alter it.

Good luck!

frontieruk

I'm not so sure that this back issue is just a back issue. Was feeling around and I suspect I managed to bust another rib when I fell.

The pain is manageable, but I'm really struggling to find any movements (short of arms only) that don't leave my back / rib feeling worse the next day. Anything that vaguely involves my core causes me to feel like I've "pulled" it again. =/

And I thought I was a walking disaster zone ;) hope it heals quickly!

danthefan

Some advice.

- it will seem easy at first. Don't start throwing in lots of extra stuff because it's easy
- take form videos and post them here. It's going to take time to nail down form on the big lifts.
- follow the program, don't quick make it your own and alter it.

Good luck!

Thanks bud. Was planning on starting out today with some really light weights just so I could get used to the form and the likes, this is a good plan?

I bought the Starting Strength book so I've been reading up on proper form and stuff but I'm sure implementing it is another thing entirely.

SeanR1221

Thanks bud. Was planning on starting out today with some really light weights just so I could get used to the form and the likes, this is a good plan?

I bought the Starting Strength book so I've been reading up on proper form and stuff but I'm sure implementing it is another thing entirely.

I'd honestly just start with the bar on everything. The weight is going to add up fast!! I was giving someone else this advice here a few days ago but think about it. You're adding 30lbs to your squat a WEEK. If you stay consistent with that, you'll be squatting 315 in 9 weeks.

If your gym doesn't have bumper plates this could be hard on the deadlift...I think I started deadlift at 135 just to get the height down. You could start at say...95lbs (a 25lb weight on each side) and put the bar on top of a couple stacked plates on either side for the proper height.

A few other beginner tips.

Make sure the bar you're using is actually 45lbs. You can always ask a trainer to verify.

Make sure for squats you're using either a squat rack or power rack. Don't use a smith machine.

This one is for me personally but I think you're better off doing pendlay rows over power cleans TBH. Cleans are VERY difficult to do properly and I'd want an actual coach to teach me. Pendlay rows are pretty simple to do and are a nice explosive exercise.

Matugi

Pulled a muscle in my back yesterday while, get it, letting my back round pulling the weight off the barbell after doing deadlifts. I was beat after one set of 335x3 and since this is the heaviest i've gone in awhile there's a chance my form may have been compromised while doing the set, but I felt fine. It's sore now but it's no worse than when I pulled it playing flag football last semester. Feels much better today, though. Ibuprofen and rest and I should be back at it, it was time to lower the weights anyway.

O.v.e.rlord

Banned
Oh right!!!! Dead lift day!!!

Workout 1x15 225 1x12 1x10 315 1x4 365 1x2 385 then to working set 4x5 at 405!!! Let's do this fitgaf! I welcome the new year with loud as hell music and heavy ass plates!!

sphinx

the piano man
I want to get back into the Pump it Up, Dance Dance Revolution thing for my cardio needs....

I saw this video and I instantly wanted to go to the arcades and dance but there are no arcades in Germany :((

it's REAL TIME

damn, those asian genes

Zunja

Bunch of questions hoping for some help.

First I'm 5'8 130. I lifted hard for 3 months and went from 120 to 130. I cannot gain sisee for the life of me. I mean I gained weight but it's mostly hidden and I'm a little more defined. I can bench about 145, squat 200, and deadlift 270. My squats feel really and idk how to fix it. I haven't been able to workout much the paspast 2 months but I'm starting next week. I'm thinking of trying Creatine to gain mass and look bigger.

does anyone have success with this, is it worth it, or tips in general?

Second my girlfriend wants to loose some weight but can't run because of medical issues. She isn't fat just wants to get fit. The eliptical and lifting but isn't seeing results she is getting stronger. I know running is great but she really cant. Also she was wondering if there were weight loss c supplements she could take with working out to help

Finally my diet is good I could eat more though and hers is fairly good too. We could improve but I don't think it's a major issue.

Sorry if my phone made any spelling errors, thanks.

BlueTsunami

Bunch of questions hoping for some help.

First I'm 5'8 130. I lifted hard for 3 months and went from 120 to 130. I cannot gain sisee for the life of me. I mean I gained weight but it's mostly hidden and I'm a little more defined. I can bench about 145, squat 200, and deadlift 270. My squats feel really and idk how to fix it. I haven't been able to workout much the paspast 2 months but I'm starting next week. I'm thinking of trying Creatine to gain mass and look bigger.

does anyone have success with this, is it worth it, or tips in general?

Second my girlfriend wants to loose some weight but can't run because of medical issues. She isn't fat just wants to get fit. The eliptical and lifting but isn't seeing results she is getting stronger. I know running is great but she really cant. Also she was wondering if there were weight loss c supplements she could take with working out to help

Finally my diet is good I could eat more though and hers is fairly good too. We could improve but I don't think it's a major issue.

Sorry if my phone made any spelling errors, thanks.

In regards to weight loss and weight gain, it sounds like she could cut more calories and you should be consuming more calories or protein to gain lean mass. She doesn't need conditioning work to lose the weight, just a steady fitness regimen and the correct caloric deficit.

Niven

Height: 6'1
Weight: 16 stone
Goal: get stronger and lean up
Current Training Schedule: not started yet
Current Training Equipment Available: Gym
Comments: So i'm planning on starting the Starting Strength in the OP and i was wondering will this also help me lose weight or should i be doing something else?

DominoKid

I want to get back into the Pump it Up, Dance Dance Revolution thing for my cardio needs....

I saw this video and I instantly wanted to go to the arcades and dance but there are no arcades in Germany :((

it's REAL TIME

damn, those asian genes

wow is that real speed?

BlueTsunami

Height: 6'1
Weight: 16 stone
Goal: get stronger and lean up
Current Training Schedule: not started yet
Current Training Equipment Available: Gym
Comments: So i'm planning on starting the Starting Strength in the OP and i was wondering will this also help me lose weight or should i be doing something else?

May want to develop your diet alongside the training regimen if losing weight is your goal. You could straddle the middle and try to gain strength and muscle mass while losing fat but you wont see a dramatic change for a long time that comes with a pure cut. Right now you need to decide if weight loss is paramount in which case the diet becomes more important.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom