• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanR1221

Nice job but your spotters make my blood boil.

How hard is it to stand to the side, and step in only when the bar is going the opposite direction, using a mixed grip.

How hard is it to stand to the side, and step in only when the bar is going the opposite direction, using a mixed grip.
It's why I don't ask for spots unless I know the guy well. Even if you tell them only step in if you see the bar going back down, too many guys will teabag you while hoverhanding the bar the whole time.

O.v.e.rlord

Banned

I take what I can get. I workout by myself so I ask who ever is near. One time I had one guy just walk away. So this is better than nothing. And even if I tell them how I want them to spot me they alway do it there way. Every freaking time.

It's why I don't ask for spots unless I know the guy well. Even if you tell them only step in if you see the bar going back down, too many guys will teabag you while hoverhanding the bar the whole time.

Unless someone specifies that I stand away, I always teabag/have my hands at the ready (not necessarily hover-handing). Since I don't know the random bro I feel being on the cautious side is better.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
My dad used to be my gym partner, he used to hover his balls and slightly bend his knees. Which made it 100x more uncomfortable. I know he did it on purpose lol :(

gg 2014, you have been fun

jMzxEG9.jpg

back pics are too hard

Freaking pissed right now. I couldn't get 385 on bench. I got stuck at the part where my shoulders should have pushed through. My spotter had to touch the bar to get me over. I'll upload the video of my failure later!!!

fugV6gD.jpg

Post workout flex. Looking forward to getting bigger!

love it brother, just a ball of mass

how much do you weigh? height?

You may suck at taking back pics, but you rock at taking ear pics. That thing is all muscle baby.

thanks buddy, must be all those late night jamming out to 80s music

Been noticing that I need to step up my gym fashion game. EVeryone at Equinox NYC try's looking like a model with all their fancy gym clothes and here I am training in cut off t shirts and old shirts. I got like 2 pairs of Lulu shorts and shirts but looking to look more fashionable. I feel like im at the age where I should probably look a bit more presentable at the gym. So where is a good place I can get a bunch of fashionable gym clothes without breaking the bank?

Also starting my slooow cut after next week. I will take a progress pic every week and once I am finished ill share it with you guys.

GrapeApes

Been noticing that I need to step up my gym fashion game. EVeryone at Equinox NYC try's looking like a model with all their fancy gym clothes and here I am training in cut off t shirts and old shirts. I got like 2 pairs of Lulu shorts and shirts but looking to look more fashionable. I feel like im at the age where I should probably look a bit more presentable at the gym. So where is a good place I can get a bunch of fashionable gym clothes without breaking the bank?
In the gym you'll either see me in some old college tees I got for free or Reebok dri-fits (cheap at Dick's and feel good). I don't ever look at dudes clothing. Only time I notice clothes is women in yoga pants. I don't know how fashionable the dudes in this thread will be and I doubt the dudes in Men's Fashion lift either. Just wear whatever the fuck you don't mind sweating in.

BlueTsunami

Also starting my slooow cut after next week. I will take a progress pic every week and once I am finished ill share it with you guys.

Unless you're going in to meet chicks, fuck that. Wear something functional. Go to steel mill to work and grind out them gains. I rock the same hoodie, a bunch of different loose sweatpants, and my chuck taylors. Hoodie up.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
As promised here is the video of me failing to get 385. I think I should wait longer than before I go for it again. So this time around I'll wait two weeks

:p oops how did those get there!? :)

Looks like you're setup loose. But it's hard to tell. You might be lacking s good arch or leg drive.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Since I didn't get an answer last time I'll ask again: When I bench press I'm getting pain in my upper arms and shoulders. Help!

O.v.e.rlord

Banned
Since I didn't get an answer last time I'll ask again: When I bench press I'm getting pain in my upper arms and shoulders. Help!

What type of pain? Like someone stabbing you with a knife or a burn?

Looks like you're setup loose. But it's hard to tell. You might be lacking s good arch or leg drive.

I try to keep as flat as possible. I just rely upper body (chest, shoulders, tri's). I tense up my lower body and core as I bench.

It's a matter of taste really I'm all about proper from. The arch and leg drive are not my thing
:(

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
What type of pain? Like someone stabbing you with a knife or a burn?

I try to keep as flat as possible. I just rely upper body (chest, shoulders, tri's). I tense up my lower body and core as I bench.

It's a matter of taste really I'm all about proper from. The arch and leg drive are not my thing
:(

Eh, arch and leg drive are proper form. But to each their own.

Feels like a sharp pain. It definitely wasn't soreness that you would expect after a good workout.

I'd advise stop benching heavy and maybe at all until you get it figured out. Start doing external rotations, band lull aparts and lots of rear delt work.

Might want to run a lacrosse ball across your pecs as well. Might be tight pecs.

O.v.e.rlord

Banned
Feels like a sharp pain. It definitely wasn't soreness that you would expect after a good workout.

Any injuries to that region in the past? Broken bone, torn muscle or prior surgery? Because it sound to me like a past injury has come back to haunt you.

Are there any other workout that you experience the same pain?

Oblivion

I'd advise stop benching heavy and maybe at all until you get it figured out. Start doing external rotations, band lull aparts and lots of rear delt work.

Might want to run a lacrosse ball across your pecs as well. Might be tight pecs.

Tight pecs can cause arm/should pain?

Any injuries to that region in the past? Broken bone, torn muscle or prior surgery? Because it sound to me like a past injury has come back to haunt you.

Are there any other workout that you experience the same pain?

Nope, no prior injuries, and no I don't get the same pain with the other work outs that I do. I would like to mention that although the pain is sharp, it tends to go away after about a day or two, so I don't think there's any muscle tear or anything...yet.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Tight pecs can cause arm/should pain?

Nope, no prior injuries, and no I don't get the same pain with the other work outs that I do. I would like to mention that although the pain is sharp, it tends to go away after about a day or two, so I don't think there's any muscle tear or anything...yet.

It can definitely cause shoulder pain, absolutely. No idea where on the arm you hurt, but if it's near your shoulder, it could. The location of the pain isn't always the cause.

Is it?! Prior trainers and professionals alike have told that is not. I'll do more research on the matter tomorrow.

Personal trainers are often idiots and I'd question what professionals you're talking to.

If you're trying to 1rm your bench, leg drive, arch and being tight in the bench are absolutely proper form.

O.v.e.rlord

Banned
Might it not be that my form may simply be off?

Is it flat bench that cause the pain or all chest workouts to include dumbbell? But if it's a sharp pain there could be a number of issues. Perhaps try to strengthen that area as brolic suggested. And stick with exercises that do not worsen the pain or cause it.

Oblivion

Anything is possible, your post is vague, we don't know exactly what hurts and we don't have a video of you benching when you're hurting.

Yeah, I'll see if I can record a video next time.

Assuming the form's not an issue, I shouldn't continue with lighter weights or anything? I should just do some of the other exercises you mentioned?

Is it flat bench that cause the or all chest workouts to include dumbbell? But if it's a sharp pain there could be a number of issues. Perhaps try to strengthen that area as brolic suggested. And stick with exercises that do not worsen the pain or cause it.

I haven't tried dumb bell bench presses, so I can't say if that would a difference.

edit:

Triceps.jpg

It hurts in the medius and longus area.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

Assuming the form's not an issue, I shouldn't continue with lighter weights or anything? I should just do some of the other exercises you mentioned?

I haven't tried dumb bell bench presses, so I can't say if that would a difference.

edit:

Triceps.jpg

I didn't say stop completely, I said maybe stop completely. Again, it depends on you. The exercises I mentioned will simply help if it's a shoukder issue and most people don't do enough of the two movements I posted.

O.v.e.rlord

Banned
Shit, I can't wait to see what your numbers are when you start using leg drive. Check Tate's so you think you can bench series.

http://train.elitefts.com/instructional/so-you-think-you-can-bench-parts1-7/

I just watched 1-3. There was a lot of information. Going to watch the rest. Looks like I'll have to rework my form. Thank you for the link! :D

edit:

Triceps.jpg

Seeing how that the pain originates from the triceps this could be an issue with from. That is my assumption. I'll wait for the video to see if further advice is needed.

Sadetar

I'm 26. I started working out when I was 14. Took two years off after my surgery then started back up in 2009. I didn't start lifting really hard till 2010.
That makes more sense even though I admit that you are older than I thought you would be. Also I need to add that you look like a proper beast nowadays.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member

This is a shot in the dark, but if your elbows are at or close to a 90 degree angle from your body that can cause shoulder pain. I would definitely check out a video on bench form to see if you're making any form mistakes.

BlueTsunami

This is a shot in the dark, but if your elbows are at or close to a 90 degree angle from your body that can cause shoulder pain. I would definitely check out a video on bench form to see if you're making any form mistakes.

Was also thinking this. If the elbows are too far out the shoulder pain will happen but maybe there's also tension in upper arm from the angle. Also check hand placement, make sure the forearms are straight up and down at the bottom, not tilted outwards too much.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
Do proteins from pasta, bread, nuts like almonds and such count or they're useless? I think proteins from nuts are good?

X-Frame

It's an unmaintained trail although technically part of a city park. Our liability law sucks and leaves the state a lot of exposure to lawsuits, which means the government is best off saying hike at your own risk, we won't do anything, than it is trying to maintain a dangerous trail, and then getting sued when the inevitable dumbass gets hurt and blames the government for not making it safer. There are maintained trails but they are really easy ones. We tried to get the law revised this past year but liability lawyers lobbied heavily against it.

Personally I hope the beehive stays. We need bees for pollination and it adds a little more excitement.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/BKd_ctldxiM

I don't know anything about laws like that, but why can't it be maintained by the state and also have a sign that warns hikers to proceed at their own risk? If not, then that means that anyone can go there and make changes to it? Like a couple of guys fixing portions of the trail that need it.

And yeah, that guy was a dumbass doing that, especially at that point. My friends and I took the trail around that section since I Nope'd instantly once I got a look at it, haha.

ACE 1991

TFW your girlfriend tells her father that her boyfriend lifts all the time and he just laughs and says "he does?"

Fuck man, gains are hard

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
I just realized if I added 10 pounds a week to my Deadlift, that would mean adding 500 pounds a year. I can live with just trying to add 5 a week.

I don't know anything about laws like that, but why can't it be maintained by the state and also have a sign that warns hikers to proceed at their own risk? If not, then that means that anyone can go there and make changes to it? Like a couple of guys fixing portions of the trail that need it.

And yeah, that guy was a dumbass doing that, especially at that point. My friends and I took the trail around that section since I Nope'd instantly once I got a look at it, haha.
All those concrete blocks and gravel to fill in eroded spots were placed by volunteers. Same with the trash can at the top. Volunteer empties it and carries the trash down.

SeanR1221

I just realized if I added 10 pounds a week to my Deadlift, that would mean adding 500 pounds a year. I can live with just trying to add 5 a week.

Yes, the weight can add up quickly. Following starting strength perfectly for squats would get you to 315lbs in 9 weeks. The program can really ramp up quickly.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
That feeling when you are doing nice controlled front DB raises at 25, 30, and 35 for sets of 12-15 and the guy comes up next to you with his sleeves rolled up and swings up 45s and has that look of superiority on his face. :shakes head:

sphinx

the piano man
That feeling when you are doing nice controlled front DB raises at 25, 30, and 35 for sets of 12-15 and the guy comes up next to you with his sleeves rolled up and swings up 45s and has that looked of superiority on his face. :shakes head:

I prefer the feeling when I am looking at my body after a pump and then see a 25-years old guy to my side flexing, showing off manicure, earrings, perfectly trimmed eyebrows, a base makeup and so roided to the guts that he looks like made of plastic.

GrapeApes

That feeling when you are doing nice controlled front DB raises at 25, 30, and 35 for sets of 12-15 and the guy comes up next to you with his sleeves rolled up and swings up 45s and has that look of superiority on his face. :shakes head:
Shit's the worst. Have you wishing they could see you on your strength days. I'm only benching 125 for 10 cause my programming says so. And I don't really lift heavy till like 4 weeks later. Just hoping you catch em that week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom