• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

Szu

I want to get back into the Pump it Up, Dance Dance Revolution thing for my cardio needs....

I saw this video and I instantly wanted to go to the arcades and dance but there are no arcades in Germany :((

it's REAL TIME

damn, those asian genes

I swear that DDR machines have these difficulty settings.

Beginner
Intermediate
Advanced
Expert
Master
Impossible
Asian

Niven

May want to develop your diet alongside the training regimen if losing weight is your goal. You could straddle the middle and try to gain strength and muscle mass while losing fat but you wont see a dramatic change for a long time that comes with a pure cut. Right now you need to decide if weight loss is paramount in which case the diet becomes more important.

yeah i would say weight loss is the main focus for me at the min,would you recommend trying to cut down first then focus on strength after? also would you recommend doing starting strength with a good diet or a totally different training program? thank you for the help!

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
yeah i would say weight loss is the main focus for me at the min,would you recommend trying to cut down first then focus on strength after? also would you recommend doing starting strength with a good diet or a totally different training program? thank you for the help!

I'm not entirely sure if starting strength would be the best since you'll be losing weight, which means being on a caloric deficit. But its THE programming suggested for beginners so maybe it should be the place to start. Maybe follow the programing until you've hit a wall in regards to strength gains and figure out what to do from there.

Niven

I'm not entirely sure if starting strength would be the best since you'll be losing weight, which means being on a caloric deficit. But its THE programming suggested for beginners so maybe it should be the place to start. Maybe follow the programing until you've hit a wall in regards to strength gains and figure out what to do from there.

thank you for the help! lets just hope i see improvements!

Sadetar

Happy New Year FitGaf. Thanks for the support, encouragement, and advice in 14 and here's to 2015!

We made it!

back_to_the_future_part_2.jpg
We made it, because we are awesome like that. <3

Just got done destroying my Dead Lift workout! Felt amazing! Bringing in the new year the right way!
I love it that you always sound so positive and energetic! :D

I swear that DDR machines have these difficulty settings.

Beginner
Intermediate
Advanced
Expert
Master
Impossible
Asian
Lol. :D

BlueTsunami

Is it weird I factored my current booze consumption into my daily caloric needs? Of course my other macros are taking a hit. Drinking responsibly &#128526;

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Pulled a muscle in my back yesterday while, get it, letting my back round pulling the weight off the barbell after doing deadlifts. I was beat after one set of 335x3 and since this is the heaviest i've gone in awhile there's a chance my form may have been compromised while doing the set, but I felt fine. It's sore now but it's no worse than when I pulled it playing flag football last semester. Feels much better today, though. Ibuprofen and rest and I should be back at it, it was time to lower the weights anyway.

Literally the same exact thing happened to me after my deadlift session two days ago. haha

ILoveBish

New plan has been decided, just going to deload and continue trucking on with 5/3/1, and going to actually do the deload weeks as well instead of skipping them like i've been doing for the past few sessions. Looks like a 15% deload is what the numbers crunched out to, which other then my ego getting deflated, should be good for me. Also going to do FSL, where after my very last set, i repeat the first set for 2-3 sets. Going to go in tonight as well, start the new year off right.

My main goal at this point is to hold onto whatever strength i have and lose fat, nothing else is even remotely important to me at this point. I weigh'd in at exactly 250 this morning, hope for good results come this year.

BlueTsunami

New plan has been decided, just going to deload and continue trucking on with 5/3/1, and going to actually do the deload weeks as well instead of skipping them like i've been doing for the past few sessions. Looks like a 15% deload is what the numbers crunched out to, which other then my ego getting deflated, should be good for me. Also going to do FSL, where after my very last set, i repeat the first set for 2-3 sets. Going to go in tonight as well, start the new year off right.

My main goal at this point is to hold onto whatever strength i have and lose fat, nothing else is even remotely important to me at this point. I weigh'd in at exactly 250 this morning, hope for good results come this year.

I'm on the same programming as you but shifted to boring but big to really tax the muscles with compound movement to minimize my time in the gym. Emphasis placed on my diet.

ILoveBish

I'm on the same programming as you but shifted to boring but big to really tax the muscles with compound movement to minimize my time in the gym. Emphasis placed on my diet.

I always look at BBB and not really liking what it encompasses, have you done it yet? My time at the gym is very limited these days, 1 hour 15 min tops, so i have to spend my time wisely, which is compound + 3 accessories after then bounce. I might consider BBB if its quicker, right now i have my own accessory set i do after a lift to help that lift.

BlueTsunami

I always look at BBB and not really liking what it encompasses, have you done it yet? My time at the gym is very limited these days, 1 hour 15 min tops, so i have to spend my time wisely, which is compound + 3 accessories after then bounce. I might consider BBB if its quicker, right now i have my own accessory set i do after a lift to help that lift.

I think it's economical in regards to time. Instead of doing 3+ accessory movements that may or may not result in mass gains due to the caloric deficit (on a cut) mays as well do high set/rep compound movements to tax as many muscle groups as possible and cut out. I feel just as taxed doing Boring But Big as I would with the normal template in less time.

ILoveBish

I think it's economical in regards to time. Instead of doing 3+ accessory movements that may or may not result in mass gains due to the caloric deficit (on a cut) mays as well do high set/rep compound movements to tax as many muscle groups as possible and cut out. I feel just as taxed doing Boring But Big as I would with the normal template in less time.

That makes a lot of sense. I'll be truthful that i feel i've gained a lot of strength and muscle while on a cut just from doing keto, but its not magic. I'll start reading up on BBB now, and maybe throw in some of my fun accessories like arnold press on my body weight day.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Deadlift pros:

Is it wrong to break the deadlift into two movements?

I've been using this weird cue recently and I'm not sure if it's right, but it's helping me utilize my legs more. Basically, for the initial break off the floor I think about doing a leg extension, and driving my knees "back." Then, once the bar passes my knees, I thrust my hips forward.

Thoughts?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Deadlift pros:

Is it wrong to break the deadlift into two movements?

I've been using this weird cue recently and I'm not sure if it's right, but it's helping me utilize my legs more. Basically, for the initial break off the floor I think about doing a leg extension, and driving my knees "back." Then, once the bar passes my knees, I thrust my hips forward.

Thoughts?

Nothing wrong with that. In fact, some pros would tell you that's what you should do. "Squat the weight up, and when the bar hits your knees fuck the bar."

I personally would rather see a video of you deadlifting.

ILoveBish

Went in tonight and kicked ass. For the first time in forever, I got all 5 reps in on my 5s set. Felt very good, then I did FSL and that literally kicked my ass. That is going to be a staple of my routines from now on.

I tried out BBB, but it does not fit my lifting style at all. Going to stick with the deload, FSL and lighter weight high rep accessory's.

Not many new years resolutionists tonight, but the year is young, and I went at 1215am. As I left at 130, saw a bunch of new people walking in.

Here we go fitgaf. 2015 is off to a great start already.

Went in tonight and kicked ass. For the first time in forever, I got all 5 reps in on my 5s set. Felt very good, then I did FSL and that literally kicked my ass. That is going to be a staple of my routines from now on.

I tried out BBB, but it does not fit my lifting style at all. Going to stick with the deload, FSL and lighter weight high rep accessory's.

Not many new years resolutionists tonight, but the year is young, and I went at 1215am. As I left at 130, saw a bunch of new people walking in.

Here we go fitgaf. 2015 is off to a great start already.

Where do you work out that you can go so late and also have other people there?

Faiz

Here's the promised 255 DL form check. I hesitated even posting this one, I'm pretty sure I see the main issue remaining, but you never know. It looks like maybe I'm not locking out my knees properly. It could be the lighting and the baggy sweatpants. But I think my hips are in the right starting position again, at least.

Definitely "felt" more correct this week. Anyway, have at it...

http://youtu.be/lKNw3oFAb-8

SeanR1221

Here's the promised 255 DL form check. I hesitated even posting this one, I'm pretty sure I see the main issue remaining, but you never know. It looks like maybe I'm not locking out my knees properly. It could be the lighting and the baggy sweatpants. But I think my hips are in the right starting position again, at least.

Definitely "felt" more correct this week. Anyway, have at it...

http://youtu.be/lKNw3oFAb-8

Much better!

Here check out how you used to look.

Any suggestions for bluetooth headphones/earbuds for the gym?
I just purchased these http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00AIRUOI8/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1420210201&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SY200_QL40&dpPl=1&dpID=311JDU0vQdL&ref=plSrch
They're a bit pricey but well worth it imo. It's sweat proof, pretty decent sound quality and range and has an 8hr battery life.

FitnessGAF what is the current consensus on working out several times per day? Can I workout multiply times a day, everyday?

Depends on what you are doing. If your doing SS + cardio in the same day every day you workout you are going to burn out quick. I would suggest testing it out by doing it once a week to see how you feel

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
FitnessGAF what is the current consensus on working out several times per day? Can I workout multiply times a day, everyday?

Inefficient, waste of time. Go hard on your ONE workout and you won't want multiple workouts and have it all done at once.

If you really want to, you can. Depends really what you are trying to do/achieve.

also, I finally bought a foam roller. Time to do this for reals.

BlueTsunami

Who would think that widening my squat stance would help so much with my hip? God I feel so stupid sometimes.

I remember watching a rippetoe vid about proper stance years ago and the wider footing, feet pointed outward, allowed for total ass to grass. Feels good moving the weight with the entire ROM.

danthefan

So I went to the gym earlier, first time in a long time, did the suggested routine from the first page:

Squat - 3 sets of 5
Bench Press - 3 sets of 5
Deadlifts - 1 set of 5
Pull-Ups - 3 sets of 8-15

I was totally unable to do pull-ups so ended up using a machine that helps out so I at least got some done, I'll try reduce the weight/move onto no weight as I go on.

Anyway went with an empty bar first for all the lifting exercises, then added a small bit of weight and went again. Next time round I'll try add some more.

My thighs have tightened up like crazy from doing the squats, is this normal? Like they aren't sore, I just feel like I'm walking through treacle.

I remember watching a rippetoe vid about proper stance years ago and the wider footing, feet pointed outward, allowed for total ass to grass. Feels good moving the weight with the entire ROM.

Yup I'm pretty sure that the narrower stance is what fucked my hip. Plus I felt so much stronger hitting it with a wide stance.

Szu

So I went to the gym earlier, first time in a long time, did the suggested routine from the first page:

Squat - 3 sets of 5
Bench Press - 3 sets of 5
Deadlifts - 1 set of 5
Pull-Ups - 3 sets of 8-15

I was totally unable to do pull-ups so ended up using a machine that helps out so I at least got some done, I'll try reduce the weight/move onto no weight as I go on.

Anyway went with an empty bar first for all the lifting exercises, then added a small bit of weight and went again. Next time round I'll try add some more.

My thighs have tightened up like crazy from doing the squats, is this normal? Like they aren't sore, I just feel like I'm walking through treacle.

Yes, the tightness is normal. It won't kill you unless you're going to walk down a long flight of stairs.

MjFrancis

If I'm going to eat as much pulled pork as I have been of late, I'd better start training harder. Four pulled pork sandwiches from Dickies on Monday, two pounds from Costco on Wednesday, and 12 oz of Curley's precooked sauceless from the store for lunch today.

By the end of the year I'm either going to be a bit stronger or a lot fatter.

Happy New Year Fit-GAF.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Yup I'm pretty sure that the narrower stance is what fucked my hip. Plus I felt so much stronger hitting it with a wide stance.
Wide hip squats for life! I switched about 5 years ago and my stability and power instantly was improved.

SeanR1221

If I'm going to eat as much pulled pork as I have been of late, I'd better start training harder. Four pulled pork sandwiches from Dickies on Monday, two pounds from Costco on Wednesday, and 12 oz of Curley's precooked sauceless from the store for lunch today.

By the end of the year I'm either going to be a bit stronger or a lot fatter.

Happy New Year Fit-GAF.

Living the dream

O.v.e.rlord

Banned
Yup. Just returned from the gates of hell. The very first thing I see when I walk in is a guy with a tripod looking thing with his phone set to record everything that he's doing. I had to ask a guy to rack his weights. And I was watch while I was doing chest flys by a rather large person. (I think he just wanted to see what I was doing. Still creeped me out though) then there were people just lurking about. Just wondering around with no real propose. Just walking around. Touching things and moving along. My hope is that they are testing the waters before they jump in. Ether way. Today was a very busy day for my gym.

Imm0rt4l

Squatted 455 for 4 reps. First time I've hit that in over a year when I got injured my si joint. Fuck yeah. I'll have to record it next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom